Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

post #2521 of 2641 Old 06-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgonesh View Post
@Steve429 When the XG1v4 is set to 2160p60 output it locks the out to that resolution. Your TV will only ever see this resolution no matter what content is being streamed. This is why you consistently see 2160 resolution on the TV.

On the TV, can you tell me exactly which model the Vizio TV is? Can you confirm that you're subscribed to the Netflix Premium package that enabled 4K and HDR? And lastly, what is the version of the software that's on the XG1v4? You can get this by going to Menu -> Settings -> About. The XG1v4 will support 4K SDR and HDR10 playback.
I am subscribed to Netflix premium UHD 4K 4 screens, have been for about a year and confirmed its still good today.
Box release version 86.1.2
Vizio M70-D3

So whatever the box is set to 2160 720 etc is what I am going to see? Knowing full well a lot of the shows on NF are not 2160 but it tells me that it is frustrates me. The XG is not really trying to up convert and 1080p NF show to 2160 is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2641 Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve429 View Post
So whatever the box is set to 2160 720 etc is what I am going to see? Knowing full well a lot of the shows on NF are not 2160 but it tells me that it is frustrates me. The XG is not really trying to up convert and 1080p NF show to 2160 is it?

Yes, if the X1 box is set to output 2160p, the X1 box is upconverting 1080p (or 480i, or 720p, or whatever resolution it is receiving, other than 2160p) to 2160p. So when you ask the TV about what resolution it is receiving, it is receiving 2160p from that HDMI port, so the TV just shows you 2160p when you hit the "Info" button (or whatever it is called for your TV).

I am still on an iGuide DVR so I don't have access to the Netflix app on the X1 box. But the first-generation Roku I have and the Netflix App on my "Smart TV" have the ability to report the resolution of the stream it is receiving from Netflix. So you might check if the Netflix App on your X1 box will display information for the stream it is receiving. (My notes, which predate UltraHD, indicate possible streaming resolutions for Netflix are 240, 288, 384, 480, 720, and 1080, and indeed I have seen the Netflix App for my TV report 384, 480, 720, and 1080.)

If the X1 box was able to send to the TV the same resolution it receives (one of the features the iGuide boxes, at least the DVR I have, that the X1 DVR lacks), one would likely notice almost a second of no picture when the resolution being received on the HDMI port changes, such as switching the cable box between channels of different resolutions. I would imagine this would be much worse for streaming a video since the streams Netflix use are adaptive streams, changing resolutions when Netflix-to-App throughput changes, and when streams require a higher bit rate for fast changing scenes, so when an action scene comes up and the Netflix stream downgrades from 1080 to 720 the second of blackout while the TV detects the new resolution would utterly destroy the action scene. (I'm speaking about changing bit rates required from action scenes from experience: I have watched some action movies with the Netflix App displaying the instantaneous resolution on the screen, and often it is 1080 for mostly static scenes like dialog and steps down to 720 for an action scene, and back up to 1080 for closing credits.)

Anyway, the TV reporting the resolution on the HDMI port is just what also happens when I play a DVD (480i) on my Blu-ray player: the TV reports 1080p because that is what the Blu-ray player is sending out its HDMI port.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #2523 of 2641 Old 06-07-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
why did they get rid of "native" mode for resolution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2524 of 2641 Old 06-07-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

The X1 has never had a native setting.

Sent from planet earth

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #2525 of 2641 Old 06-07-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
The X1 has never had a native setting.

And, as far as I am aware, no Netflix streaming device has ever had the equivalent of Native mode either.

But the predecessor of X1, the iGuide DVR (such as the RNG200N that I am still using), does.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #2526 of 2641 Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I am talking about most (if not all) PRE X1 devices had a native mode option
post #2527 of 2641 Old 06-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:

my guess it caused a lot of HDMI handshake errors when switching channels/ resolutions, which increased service calls...makes it much easier to output a fixed resolution
gomo657 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #2528 of 2641 Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If nothing else, the calls about "Why does my TV go blank for a second every time I switch channels?" Feeding the TV a fixed resolution prevents all that, but does leave one at the mercy of the quality of the scaler in the cable box.
billmich and markrubin like this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #2529 of 2641 Old 06-11-2018, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I’m having problems controlling my xfinity 4K box with my Harmony One remote. I have to repeatedly press buttons to get the box to receive a command, and then it will respond twice. Anyone having a similar experience?

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #2530 of 2641 Old 06-11-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaduke View Post
I’m having problems controlling my xfinity 4K box with my Harmony One remote. I have to repeatedly press buttons to get the box to receive a command, and then it will respond twice. Anyone having a similar experience?
This is actually two separate problems.

Problem 1: The part of the box that receives the IR signal is very picky and you need to point very carefully to get the box to see the IR signal.
Problem 2: When you point correctly and the box does see the IR signal, it responds too frequently. Use your Harmony software to select --> devices --> troubleshoot --> responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally --> On the 0 to 5 scale, select "1"
post #2531 of 2641 Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post
This is actually two separate problems.

Problem 1: The part of the box that receives the IR signal is very picky and you need to point very carefully to get the box to see the IR signal.
Problem 2: When you point correctly and the box does see the IR signal, it responds too frequently. Use your Harmony software to select --> devices --> troubleshoot --> responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally --> On the 0 to 5 scale, select "1"
What he said and also if you happen to be using any sort of IR "blaster" you will get funky results I haven't tried my olden one that would not work on the legacy boxes at all yet with the X1g4 nor my new fancy Harmony set up with it's hub. Haven't really needed to or had time to do that yet.

What you describe it what I initially ran into with my legacy boxes and my olden Harmony remote. However when I upgraded to newer Moto MOCA and then X1 and now X1g4 I haven't had that issue in the least nor needed to adjust the timings. There are several different boxes that you can tell it you are using all which use the almost exact same IR codes. Last time I set up the harmony I gave it either Comcast XGv4 or the actual model number of the DVR and it figured it out after asking me a myriad of questions etc. Granted I only use the Harmony to turn the system on, switch activities and control the listening modes on the Denon these days. I prefer the feel, functionality and features of the XR15 (did I actually say I prefer a Comcast remote to Harmony--sacrilege ;-)
post #2532 of 2641 Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am talking about most (if not all) PRE X1 devices had a native mode option
Search the thread a bit back. I found some settings that you can use to sorta control the resolution if you need to. If I remember it is a combo of the resolution you set and a couple other settings. But yes, that "native" resolution thing is way a thing of the past and as mentioned when HDMI came onto the scene was a real bummer when changing channels and modes like OnDemand, Netflix etc. I never used it, nor do I miss it. I like that I get 4k output for everything, can run it into the Oppo for further processing etc. Just wish that the new funky Oppo HD(R)>Dolby Vision magic would work for the HDMI input. Hoping that will be implemented in the full release of the beta or maybe a future release.

Yes boys and girls. The Oppo 4k players now give you HDR specifically Dolby Vision when playing any HD and up content that is originated by the Oppo; BDs, 4k and HD content from USB, drives, network and 4K UHDs that are in HDR10. Just not DVDs or ANYTHING plugged into the HDMI input at this point. If you happen to have a Sony (those can't decode DV in the TV) then having a player-led Dolby Vision decoder is required. It's a brand new thing that Sony petitioned Dolby Labs to do since they whined that they could not pull it off on their TVs. That is for external content. Apparently they have figured out how to do DV with the built in TV apps.I know off topic, but interesting. Really crossing my fingers for that functionality on the HDMI input since that would mean that I could get HDR like picture from ALL sources on the X1g4.
post #2533 of 2641 Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
What he said and also if you happen to be using any sort of IR "blaster" you will get funky results I haven't tried my olden one that would not work on the legacy boxes at all yet with the X1g4 nor my new fancy Harmony set up with it's hub. Haven't really needed to or had time to do that yet.

What you describe it what I initially ran into with my legacy boxes and my olden Harmony remote. However when I upgraded to newer Moto MOCA and then X1 and now X1g4 I haven't had that issue in the least nor needed to adjust the timings. There are several different boxes that you can tell it you are using all which use the almost exact same IR codes. Last time I set up the harmony I gave it either Comcast XGv4 or the actual model number of the DVR and it figured it out after asking me a myriad of questions etc. Granted I only use the Harmony to turn the system on, switch activities and control the listening modes on the Denon these days. I prefer the feel, functionality and features of the XR15 (did I actually say I prefer a Comcast remote to Harmony--sacrilege ;-)
Sacrilege indeed🤫
My main concern is all of my other devices, me being accustomed to my One and simply not wanting to give it up. 😭

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #2534 of 2641 Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 46
rookie question if I want to get dolby digital or dts with the x1 connected to my avr then arc to the tv...
what audio setting does the x1 have to be .. can it play dolby digital via hdmi to avr
post #2535 of 2641 Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUperEd007 View Post
rookie question if I want to get dolby digital or dts with the x1 connected to my avr then arc to the tv...
what audio setting does the x1 have to be .. can it play dolby digital via hdmi to avr
First you are NOT going to get DTS at all from any of the X1 boxes. Only PCM, DD (2.0 and 5.1) and DD+/Atmos are available. The box is probably capable, but no content. I never tested DD+/Atmos on the older X1 boxes and I only have the UHD 4k XG1v4s connected to capable systems presently. Though I do have a XG2 in the bedroom. I remember reading in the specs of my old legacy Moto MOCA DVR that it supported DD+ so there is a possibility that the non-4k boxed support it???

There is also no ARC nor does there need to be. All audio and video you will need will be supplied through HDMI. As an alternative you can run HDMI to the TV and optical to the AVR, but only if you have a non-4k box. The 4k box only has a functional HDMI out port and no digital out. If that is an issue for you run the HDMI to your TV then an optical cable from the TV to the AVR (or coax if you are really super lucky and have that on both your TV and AVR). That is a neat trick that many of us have been using for years. In that scenario the best you will get is DD5.1. DD+/Atmos requires an HDMI connection AfaIK. You might get DD6.1 (mono back channel) since DD EX is supported in all S/PDIF applications and DD+ in very few but I doubt that these boxes would push it out that anyhow.

The X1 has 3 primary audio settings; Stereo, auto-detect and expert mode. Stereo will usually yield 2-channel PCM, Auto will select DD2.0 or 5.1 depending on the capabilities of the connected device and the content playing. Expert will bit-stream the audio however in that mode there may be sync and pauses in audio when you pause, FF, RW, skip etc. and change channels. The XG1v4 in my experience is a bit slow in that area compared to the older legacy boxes and even the other X1 boxes. I usually leave mine in "expert" but it can get annoying. I have in the past set it to "auto" then remember to change it when I start Netflix and only get DD5.1. To get DD+/Atmos from either Netflix or the limited OnDemand content in 4k you have to be set to "expert".

BTW - audio settings on all X1 boxes are at; setup(gear), then device settings then audio.
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by mr.kludge; 07-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
post #2536 of 2641 Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I probably mot-read your question a bit. Treat the X1 box as a disc player of sorts. ARC won't be in play except for when you are streaming content from the TV. If you have ARC then you have modern AVR fully capable of handling ANY of the X1 boxes. However there have been and still are issues in that area that still require some folks to X1>TV>AVR. I haven't thought of trying ARC as a path back from the TV to the AVR in this situation??? Hmmm.....I know it is possible all kinds of folks are using their non-4k and or HDR capable AVRs and using the new TVs as a way to interface everything up. If that is your case you might need to do that (if you are talking 4k X1 and having a non-4k and/or HDR capable AVR).
post #2537 of 2641 Old 07-09-2018, 01:54 PM

In my area the non 4k is available for now still no 4k x1... I have a brand new avr and a brand new tv.. the way to connect is everything to the avr and then hdmi arc of avr to the tv.. will this work for the x1 to get dolby digital
post #2538 of 2641 Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 AM

What is the latest x1 boxes other then the 4k ones Xfinity tends to try to connect there ok'd boxes to customers.. what should I ask for
post #2539 of 2641 Old 07-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What is the latest x1 boxes other then the 4k ones Xfinity tends to try to connect there ok'd boxes to customers.. what should I ask for
Even if you don't have a 4K TV, ask for the 4K box. It's nice and small. It's silent. It's got a better processor so it runs apps like Netlfix and Youtube much better. My daughter was able to get one even though they are double-play customers without a 4K set and have a low-end digital package (probably Digital Starter).

I got my 4K box back in January and I really like it (I do have a 4K TV set).
markrubin and Gabatta like this.
post #2540 of 2641 Old 08-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
X1 DVR & media closet

Had comcast/xfinity for years. Been putting off upgrading for years because I have all my equipment (avr, dvd, roku)in a hallway closet with TV in family room. Installing and uninstalling audio/video equipment can be a hassle. Using an old moto dcx3400 as my dvr. Being charged with all the hd fees (HD dvr box, anyroom dvr service, HD tech fee, etc) so I am finally going to swap my old dvr box for the newer XG1v3 (don't have 4K stuff).
For an easier install can I ...just put the new X1 dvr (XG1v3) in another room/location (much easier to do) and put a non dvr XiD or Xi3 in the media closet and still enjoy all the X1 viewing, listening, apps in the family room tv. My thinking was because of the anyroom dvr option and the satellite Xi3 box being able to do what the XG1v3 dvr does, that should be possible? Anyone doing something similar?
Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
post #2541 of 2641 Old 08-21-2018, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnem0 View Post
Had comcast/xfinity for years. Been putting off upgrading for years because I have all my equipment (avr, dvd, roku)in a hallway closet with TV in family room. Installing and uninstalling audio/video equipment can be a hassle. Using an old moto dcx3400 as my dvr. Being charged with all the hd fees (HD dvr box, anyroom dvr service, HD tech fee, etc) so I am finally going to swap my old dvr box for the newer XG1v3 (don't have 4K stuff).
For an easier install can I ...just put the new X1 dvr (XG1v3) in another room/location (much easier to do) and put a non dvr XiD or Xi3 in the media closet and still enjoy all the X1 viewing, listening, apps in the family room tv. My thinking was because of the anyroom dvr option and the satellite Xi3 box being able to do what the XG1v3 dvr does, that should be possible? Anyone doing something similar?
Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
I don't see why you couldn't do it that way. The only issue I see is that your old DCX3400 had a lot of different video and audio outputs. The newer units have fewer outputs. My X1 unit (with 4K) has only HDMI and coax outputs. No component video outs, no optical. If your other equipment has HDMI inputs, I think it would work.
post #2542 of 2641 Old 08-22-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 40
How is the internal scaler in the XG1v4 for regular 720p cable? I’m wondering if it’s improved over the older boxes and scales well to 4K.

Vizio P65-F1
Sony DN1080 Receiver
Samsung H5900 Blu-Ray Player
Goldenear Supercinema 3D
Goldenear Forcefield 3 subwoofer
post #2543 of 2641 Old 08-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbrillo View Post
How is the internal scaler in the XG1v4 for regular 720p cable? I’m wondering if it’s improved over the older boxes and scales well to 4K.
It seems to look better to me on both my TCL LCD and LG OLED.
post #2544 of 2641 Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
It seems to look better to me on both my TCL LCD and LG OLED.
^^^What he said. I have the same experience on my C7. The XG1v4 does a really good job, which was surprising to me. It just works.
markrubin likes this.

LG 65C7
Bose ST300
LG UP970
Xfinity XG1v4
post #2545 of 2641 Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 PM

I have a 4K TV upstairs with an Xi3, and an older HDTV downstairs with the XG1v3.

I want to try the Xi6 upstairs. I don’t need 4K downstairs.

Do I need to upgrade the downstairs box to an XGv4 in order to be able to use an Xi6 in the house?

Thanks
post #2546 of 2641 Old 09-01-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
I have a 4K TV upstairs with an Xi3, and an older HDTV downstairs with the XG1v3.

I want to try the Xi6 upstairs. I don’t need 4K downstairs.

Do I need to upgrade the downstairs box to an XGv4 in order to be able to use an Xi6 in the house?

Thanks
The wireless boxes Xi5 and new Xi6 that supports 4k Netflix both connect to your gateway using wifi and MoCA. They then use MoCA to get to assets in your house like your DVR the tuners on it. The wireless boxes are also rather finicky and I don't think you will like that aspect but you can try it. If it were me I'd get a XG1v4 for your TV upstairs that has 4k and get a XG2 for your downstairs TV. That way you would have the best of all worlds. Once you update your downstairs TV you would then need to decide if you wanted the Xi6 there or another V4 for it. I hope they will be updating the XG2 to and XG3 or 4? that will support 4k. As it sits now the only 4k choices you have are the v4 which is a DVR and comes at a monthly cost if its not the 1st DVR and the Xi6 which has the wireless issues.

Personally I run two v4s one in the cave and one in the great room. The GR TV is only 720 but I wanted to future proof it for when I get a bigger TV for the cave and move the 55" from there upstairs. I have a cheep LED small TV in the love nest but I use an XG2 since it has it's own tuners. I wanted 2 DVRs in order to unlock the full potential of recording on-site since one limits you to your cloud storage limit. Or at least that has been my experience. Since i'm paying for an extra DVR and an extra tuner in the bedroom I wanted to get the best equipment available since they are all the same price. Having the XG2 in the bedroom eliminates contention for the tuners on the DVRs and allows me to move things around at will without getting prior permission from the BOSS. In the future if the XG2 gets updated to 4k as a XG3or4 I will probably consider changing out the bosses box since I really don't have to have all the storage I have now (once I find time to plow through 200+ hours of shows and movies). I'm not considering dumbing up the GR box to something that is not 4k or does not have tuners as I've spend countless hours/days/weeks working everything out with Comtastic since February to get all things in my house except for Home (which is still a work in progress) updated to all the best equipment and services. Eventually the love nest will get a 4k TV also but that is FAR into the future.

Oh BTW a side effect of the XG2 not only it not being dependent on another box for it's tuner is that it can provide tuners to other non tuner boxes. Or at least that is the theory. They have never implemented it that I am aware but they could offer an XG2 with cloud only DVR functionality and eliminate the need for a DVR box in the house. I'm not aware of any plans that exist for that currently and why would you since you have to pay the DVR fee and get one free anyhow with the plan. It is a good thing to know in case you have a bunch of other rooms with basic TVs that need tuners. That gives me a total of 16 tuners I think? Kinda overkill but the issue with the boss or bedroom TV going dark when I meet around with the HT in the cave is more of a problem. Not to mention the outages an not being able to watch TV at all or even DVR recordings when the Comtastic "system" is having issues.
Rich C likes this.
post #2547 of 2641 Old 09-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The wireless boxes Xi5 and new Xi6 that supports 4k Netflix both connect to your gateway using wifi and MoCA. They then use MoCA to get to assets in your house like your DVR the tuners on it. The wireless boxes are also rather finicky and I don't think you will like that aspect but you can try it. If it were me I'd get a XG1v4 for your TV upstairs that has 4k and get a XG2 for your downstairs TV. That way you would have the best of all worlds. Once you update your downstairs TV you would then need to decide if you wanted the Xi6 there or another V4 for it. I hope they will be updating the XG2 to and XG3 or 4? that will support 4k. As it sits now the only 4k choices you have are the v4 which is a DVR and comes at a monthly cost if its not the 1st DVR and the Xi6 which has the wireless issues.

Personally I run two v4s one in the cave and one in the great room. The GR TV is only 720 but I wanted to future proof it for when I get a bigger TV for the cave and move the 55" from there upstairs. I have a cheep LED small TV in the love nest but I use an XG2 since it has it's own tuners. I wanted 2 DVRs in order to unlock the full potential of recording on-site since one limits you to your cloud storage limit. Or at least that has been my experience. Since i'm paying for an extra DVR and an extra tuner in the bedroom I wanted to get the best equipment available since they are all the same price. Having the XG2 in the bedroom eliminates contention for the tuners on the DVRs and allows me to move things around at will without getting prior permission from the BOSS. In the future if the XG2 gets updated to 4k as a XG3or4 I will probably consider changing out the bosses box since I really don't have to have all the storage I have now (once I find time to plow through 200+ hours of shows and movies). I'm not considering dumbing up the GR box to something that is not 4k or does not have tuners as I've spend countless hours/days/weeks working everything out with Comtastic since February to get all things in my house except for Home (which is still a work in progress) updated to all the best equipment and services. Eventually the love nest will get a 4k TV also but that is FAR into the future.

Oh BTW a side effect of the XG2 not only it not being dependent on another box for it's tuner is that it can provide tuners to other non tuner boxes. Or at least that is the theory. They have never implemented it that I am aware but they could offer an XG2 with cloud only DVR functionality and eliminate the need for a DVR box in the house. I'm not aware of any plans that exist for that currently and why would you since you have to pay the DVR fee and get one free anyhow with the plan. It is a good thing to know in case you have a bunch of other rooms with basic TVs that need tuners. That gives me a total of 16 tuners I think? Kinda overkill but the issue with the boss or bedroom TV going dark when I meet around with the HT in the cave is more of a problem. Not to mention the outages an not being able to watch TV at all or even DVR recordings when the Comtastic "system" is having issues.
Good advice. XG1v4 ordered. I will provide an update in 3-5 business days.
post #2548 of 2641 Old 09-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Update: I replaced the Xi3 with an XG1v4. It is a little bit more responsive, and I'm using it to do the upscaling so the TV has less work to do.

It didn't fix the lipsync issues between the TV and soundbar (which is another story for another thread), but I like it overall, and plan to return the Xi3 to the Xfinity store and get an XG2 for downstairs next, and finally return the original DVR from downstairs after the XG2 is up and running.
post #2549 of 2641 Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
Update: I replaced the Xi3 with an XG1v4. It is a little bit more responsive, and I'm using it to do the upscaling so the TV has less work to do.

It didn't fix the lipsync issues between the TV and soundbar (which is another story for another thread), but I like it overall, and plan to return the Xi3 to the Xfinity store and get an XG2 for downstairs next, and finally return the original DVR from downstairs after the XG2 is up and running.
Nice! It should be a whole lot more responsive since it is a X1 brain and the Xi3 is not. Anyhow watch out for odd issues with your recordings when you swap your other DVR. It will probably through all your recordings to the cloud and you may or may not have audio issues playing them. If you do switch from "expert" audio mode to DD5.1 you may only get 2-channel audio but at least it will work. I've had that issue; X1 directly to TV, direct to AVR, direct to TV with optical to AVR AND front ended by my Oppo. Not sure what the issue is there but once in a while when a recording is only available via the cloud that happens. Also I occasionally have some lip-sync issues but that has gotten much better with Craptastic updates and new Oppo firmware. However whenever I am forced to watch from the cloud (which sounds like might be happening to you) the sync is off, not way off, but off by a bit. Might be a transcoding issue? Also make sure that the store or whomever you are working with properly removes our old DVR from your account. If any DVR is not online and available all your recordings are likely to get forced to the cloud. I had that situation for a week when I returned a bad X1 DVR that either had a faulty tuner or drive and was causing issues. Took a week and MANY calls to support to get that fixed. DVR was off my account, but still in the X1 "system" I had to just keep calling everyday until I got someone that knew how to fix that. On a Saturday nonetheless which was unusual. The "A" team generally does not work weekends. Anyhow the problem was the stores "system" was down and they could only do a partial return and obviously forgot to finish their job. I avoided the store for months but now go in there quite a bit and only order online/phone if the store does not have/carry what I need.
Rich C likes this.
post #2550 of 2641 Old 09-07-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Nice! It should be a whole lot more responsive since it is a X1 brain and the Xi3 is not. Anyhow watch out for odd issues with your recordings when you swap your other DVR. It will probably through all your recordings to the cloud and you may or may not have audio issues playing them. If you do switch from "expert" audio mode to DD5.1 you may only get 2-channel audio but at least it will work. I've had that issue; X1 directly to TV, direct to AVR, direct to TV with optical to AVR AND front ended by my Oppo. Not sure what the issue is there but once in a while when a recording is only available via the cloud that happens. Also I occasionally have some lip-sync issues but that has gotten much better with Craptastic updates and new Oppo firmware. However whenever I am forced to watch from the cloud (which sounds like might be happening to you) the sync is off, not way off, but off by a bit. Might be a transcoding issue? Also make sure that the store or whomever you are working with properly removes our old DVR from your account. If any DVR is not online and available all your recordings are likely to get forced to the cloud. I had that situation for a week when I returned a bad X1 DVR that either had a faulty tuner or drive and was causing issues. Took a week and MANY calls to support to get that fixed. DVR was off my account, but still in the X1 "system" I had to just keep calling everyday until I got someone that knew how to fix that. On a Saturday nonetheless which was unusual. The "A" team generally does not work weekends. Anyhow the problem was the stores "system" was down and they could only do a partial return and obviously forgot to finish their job. I avoided the store for months but now go in there quite a bit and only order online/phone if the store does not have/carry what I need.
That's a lot of great info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page