Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #2581 of 2632 Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
I noticed today Prime Video has been added with HDR and DD+

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2632 Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
I noticed today Prime Video has been added with HDR and DD+

When I clicked on Prime Video yesterday it told me I needed to exchange my X1 box and started to click me through the process. I'm afraid to do it, I'm sure they will some how screw the process up or make me change my plan. I'm so close to pulling the plug on Comcast. Anyone do it yet?
post #2583 of 2632 Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
When I clicked on Prime Video yesterday it told me I needed to exchange my X1 box and started to click me through the process. I'm afraid to do it, I'm sure they will some how screw the process up or make me change my plan. I'm so close to pulling the plug on Comcast. Anyone do it yet?

This page explains the boxes compatible fortunately my box connected without any issues. I’m watching Goliath as I type.
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Ama...1/td-p/3124957

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2632 Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
This page explains the boxes compatible fortunately my box connected without any issues. I’m watching Goliath as I type.
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Ama...1/td-p/3124957

my X1 box also connected to Amazon Prime and I was able to watch movies, but the X1 was connected to a 1080 display

Should I expect it will also still work when connected to 4k display?

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #2585 of 2632 Old 12-10-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
my X1 box also connected to Amazon Prime and I was able to watch movies, but the X1 was connected to a 1080 display

Should I expect it will also still work when connected to 4k display?

I would expect it to work no different than any other device. My ATV4k is my go to streamer but the X1 is much smoother than my onboard apps and ease of use considering I’m usually watching my X1 dvr recordings plus the DD+ sounds great.
markrubin likes this.

post #2586 of 2632 Old 12-11-2018, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So just switched from Directv to Xfinity for tv, yesterday. Got the latest XG1v4 box. Surprised to see how small it was, and bummed to find that the DVR performance is even worse than the 5 yr old dtv Genie box I disconnected!! How is this possible? The box seems so small I'm guessing that the DVR is all cloud-based now? If so, that's a major step backwards as the lag from pressing the button to seeing the action on the screen is ridiculous. I mean, isn't technology supposed to be advancing, not stepping back?! Seems xfinity would be at the forefront of tech but this X1 already seems to be a joke. Not happy, and now looking at just turning it all in and going back to dtv. Another issue is the remote does control my sound bar, but increments the volume 2 levels per click. Basically making it unusable. I've tried all the Vizio codes, but they all do the same thing. Volume goes up or down way more than you want it to. Not finding any solutions. Thought this kind of stuff would be all figured out by now.
post #2587 of 2632 Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifty74 View Post
So just switched from Directv to Xfinity for tv, yesterday. Got the latest XG1v4 box. Surprised to see how small it was, and bummed to find that the DVR performance is even worse than the 5 yr old dtv Genie box I disconnected!! How is this possible? The box seems so small I'm guessing that the DVR is all cloud-based now? If so, that's a major step backwards as the lag from pressing the button to seeing the action on the screen is ridiculous. I mean, isn't technology supposed to be advancing, not stepping back?! Seems xfinity would be at the forefront of tech but this X1 already seems to be a joke. Not happy, and now looking at just turning it all in and going back to dtv. Another issue is the remote does control my sound bar, but increments the volume 2 levels per click. Basically making it unusable. I've tried all the Vizio codes, but they all do the same thing. Volume goes up or down way more than you want it to. Not finding any solutions. Thought this kind of stuff would be all figured out by now.
(spoiler alert! XG1v4 fans need not continue!)

TELL ME ABOUT IT gifty74!
I switched from Dish to Xfinity 8 LONG months ago and it was a terrible decision! I'm counting the days I can get out of this 1 yr contract and get back to the Hopper 3.
Like you, I also made sure I got the XG1v4 box because not only was it 4k, but it was supposed to be faster/more responsive than the other X1 boxes - HUH?
If this is faster I'd hate to see how slow the older boxes are!
As you mentioned, the lag from pressing a button to something actually happening is abysmal. I press the "skip ahead" button, the screen pauses as the giant "skip ahead" icon shows up on the screen, then it finally jumps ahead...and forget about "stacking" your presses - it can maybe accept 2 skip-ahead commands at the most - the rest are lost.
With the Dish Hopper, when I hit skip-ahead for a 30-sec jump, it instantly jumped 30 seconds...and if I pressed it 5 times, each press was accepted and instantly carried out (DirecTV is fast like this as well as you know)
And what's with not being able to record what's in the buffer? If a show has been on the current channel for a half-hour, when I press record it starts right where the LIVE tv is at ignoring the buffer.
With DISH, if you have a 30 min show in the buffer and 15 min of another one in there, if I rewind the buffer into the 1st 30 min show and hit rec it instantly puts that show in the recorded list. If I then fwd into the 2nd show already in progress and hit record, it will then record whats in the buffer and anything new after that...

I'm also terribly disappointed with the smaller MOCA boxes for various other TV's in my home. When you turn it on it's a crap-shoot whether or not the buffer is "activated". Sometimes If I've been watching a show for a bit and decide to skip-back a few minutes, I find out the buffer never activated and all I have is the LIVE feed...so I'd say about 75% of the time this happens, and the rest of the time the buffer miraculously is working from the moment I turn the box on.
With the DISH Joey's, not only was the buffer always on, but I could hit REC and it would record what was in the buffer if I was already into a show...

As you mentioned it just blows my mind how a large company like Xfinity/Comcast can be SO far behind both DirecTV and Dish! The DISH box is SO responsive, not to mention the ability of being able to add an external drive.

I will give X1 a thumbs-up for on-demand and the Netflix app, neither of which dig into my internet download cap - they just pull everything through the "video" portion of my Comcast connection.

SO, my rant is done...wanted to bring all this up a long time ago, but I guess I was waiting for someone else to commiserate with

-Greg
post #2588 of 2632 Old 12-16-2018, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Atmos with Amazon Prime
Put box in expert mode!!

Last edited by 6month; 12-16-2018 at 06:55 PM.
post #2589 of 2632 Old 12-16-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
Atmos with Amazon Prime
Put in expert mode!!

Isn’t it wonderful!
Plus it hasn’t had to ramp up to HDR like the Shield it’s as fast as the ATV.

Last edited by gomo657; 12-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #2590 of 2632 Old 12-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Now we need Netflix Atmos. I have to use a Xbox One S for Netflix Atmos
post #2591 of 2632 Old 12-16-2018, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now we need Netflix Atmos. I have to use a Xbox One S for Netflix Atmos

Have you searched for the Atmos titles to see if they work?

post #2592 of 2632 Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Yes, but not Atmos via Netflix through Xfinity
post #2593 of 2632 Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Yes, but not Atmos via Netflix through Xfinity
I was able to get Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital+ vía the new X1V4 4K box on both Netflix & Amazon Prime Video. I don’t know if the older X1 box outputs Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital+. I was viewing the 4K UHD titles on both Netflix & Amazon Prime Video, and got it to work on both. I do have ‘Expert Mode’ selected for the audio output, and I am passing audio via HDMI.
gomo657 likes this.

LG 75UH8500 Marantz AV8802A Monster Power PRO ATI AT543NC/AT528NC Oppo UDP-205 Rega RP-8 Xbox One X Xfinity X1V4 4K HDR DVR Slingbox 500 Sonos Connect Amp Apple TV4K Roku Ultra Amazon Fire TVII Nvidia Shield Mac Mini
Adcom GFS-3 Speaker Selector Golden Ear Triton Ref 11.2 SVS SB16x2
post #2594 of 2632 Old 12-17-2018, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofsoren View Post
I was able to get Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital+ vía the new X1V4 4K box on both Netflix & Amazon Prime Video. I don’t know if the older X1 box outputs Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital+. I was viewing the 4K UHD titles on both Netflix & Amazon Prime Video, and got it to work on both. I do have ‘Expert Mode’ selected for the audio output, and I am passing audio via HDMI.

My experience as well.

post #2595 of 2632 Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried the YouTube 4k but unfortunately no HDR

post #2596 of 2632 Old 12-27-2018, 05:34 AM

Thanks for fixing the “Auto shut down” mode!!
post #2597 of 2632 Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
There is actually a way to get it to display native. Let me mess with and I will let you know.
Did you find out if there's a way to do this? HDMI Passthough setting?
post #2598 of 2632 Old 01-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I’m getting ready to ditch Comcast. I have a replacement XG1v4 box arriving tomorrow but I don’t hold out hope.

The problem is my LG OLED C8 with an LG soundbar using ARC experiences horrible lip sync with the cable box. AppleTV 4K, a Sony 4K BD player, and all the internal apps are absolutely perfect. It’s just cable.

I’ve been using Hulu on a trial basis, and the picture quality and sound both seem much better than cable, which I didn’t expect. I know Hulu isn’t perfect, but nothing can possibly be worse than bad lip sync.

Anyone else seeing lip sync with X1 and ARC? Anyone see it and find a fix?

I honestly thought I would be ditching LG, but it’s becoming more clear that Comcast (or at least the box I am using) is the problem. I’m interested in hearing from anyone with similar experiences.
post #2599 of 2632 Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 438
I don't have a soundbar. I have an 5.2.4 Atmos system using a Marantz 7705 pre-pro and a 9-channel amp. I don't see any lip-sync problems with my X1v4 boxes, except sometimes on PBS which seems to often have these issues regardless of equipment. I have ARC set up but it only seems to be relevant with 4k streaming from Netflix or Amazon and I don't use the Comcast apps for those. I wonder if the issue in your case is the interaction of the Comcast box and your soundbar. I know that many cases of lip-sync problems are hardware interactions.

post #2600 of 2632 Old 01-18-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
I encountered a first (for me) today. Some days ago the 12/12/2018 Release Version: 93.0.5 was updated to 01/09/2019 and a higher version number (since forgotten since I rolled back). Today I checked if there was a newer update and found the box rolled back to the 12/12/2018 version. Comcast's version of A Bridge too Far.
post #2601 of 2632 Old 01-19-2019, 02:22 PM

For Hulu it’s 5.1 via Xbox One S and Netflix Atmos also!
post #2602 of 2632 Old 01-21-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
I don't have a soundbar. I have an 5.2.4 Atmos system using a Marantz 7705 pre-pro and a 9-channel amp. I don't see any lip-sync problems with my X1v4 boxes, except sometimes on PBS which seems to often have these issues regardless of equipment. I have ARC set up but it only seems to be relevant with 4k streaming from Netflix or Amazon and I don't use the Comcast apps for those. I wonder if the issue in your case is the interaction of the Comcast box and your soundbar. I know that many cases of lip-sync problems are hardware interactions.
It's definitely something between the X1 box and the ARC configuration. My gut tells me it's an encoding problem. Since every other external device I've tried works fine, and I've even replaced the XG1v4 for testing purposes, I'm ready to throw Xfinity under the bus on this one. For me it's a pick-your-poison kind of problem, because the lip sync issues (that are unique to Xfinity) disappear when you bypass ARC, but then command and control is severely compromised.

However, in the week that I've been testing alternatives, I have come to another opinion, which is that the video and audio quality of Hulu, SlingTV, and various channel specific apps (HBO, etc) is notably better than X1. Beyond that, the integrated apps seem more powerful and responsive than the X1 menu system.

I'm 99% sure that by the end of this week that I'll be using Comcast exclusively for Internet and cut the cord on their X1 platform entirely.
post #2603 of 2632 Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM

Not that anyone should care, but I did follow through and cut the cord. I’ve moved to Hulu as a replacement for X1.

So far I would just say about X1 is that the platform could benefit from significant improvements in encoding quality as well as a more modern and responsive UI. I’m of the opinion that X1 was good enough for the early HD and LCD market, but isn’t taking advantage of a world where 4K, OLED, and Gigabit Internet are moving beyond early adopter stages.
post #2604 of 2632 Old 01-27-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Did you find out if there's a way to do this? HDMI Passthough setting?
I swear there was an option at some point. Only thing I see now is the "prefer best available resolution" in general settings. I can't test that due to how I have mine set up. Also I think the settings I saw were on the HD boxes and not the 4k that I run now.

Perhaps we can get a Comcast Labs feature which is "Display at native resolution" ;-) I haven't found anything like that necessary in my set-up.

Were many of you caught up by the nationwide DVR service failure that hit last week? For me Wednesday nothing recorded local and only to cloud. When those recordings were attempted to play back they were corrupted. Thursday they set all recordings done during the outage to bad and kicked you to OnDemand if the program was available. I'm glad that they had it fixed before Thursday evening. A week or two before I had an evening when things were wonky. I had local recordings I was trying to play and it kept kicking me to cloud on my main system. I checked the other and they were fine. Went back to normal after a restart.
post #2605 of 2632 Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
I’m getting ready to ditch Comcast. I have a replacement XG1v4 box arriving tomorrow but I don’t hold out hope.

The problem is my LG OLED C8 with an LG soundbar using ARC experiences horrible lip sync with the cable box. AppleTV 4K, a Sony 4K BD player, and all the internal apps are absolutely perfect. It’s just cable.

I’ve been using Hulu on a trial basis, and the picture quality and sound both seem much better than cable, which I didn’t expect. I know Hulu isn’t perfect, but nothing can possibly be worse than bad lip sync.

Anyone else seeing lip sync with X1 and ARC? Anyone see it and find a fix?

I honestly thought I would be ditching LG, but it’s becoming more clear that Comcast (or at least the box I am using) is the problem. I’m interested in hearing from anyone with similar experiences.
I don't have ARC, but I do experience lip sync issues with the X1 box (XG1v4). Sometimes going to a different program and then going back fixes it, but not always.
post #2606 of 2632 Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I encountered a first (for me) today. Some days ago the 12/12/2018 Release Version: 93.0.5 was updated to 01/09/2019 and a higher version number (since forgotten since I rolled back). Today I checked if there was a newer update and found the box rolled back to the 12/12/2018 version. Comcast's version of A Bridge too Far.
Not sure if this is related, but I experienced two days 1/22 and 1/23 where everything I recorded was corrupted. Every program I tried to play recorded on those days elicited a message saying that something was wrong with the recording but that it found the same program on demand and played that instead. I rebooted and did a system refresh on 1/24 and the problem seemed to go away with newer recordings. I never looked at version numbers, but something very screwy was going on for a while.
post #2607 of 2632 Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
Not sure if this is related, but I experienced two days 1/22 and 1/23 where everything I recorded was corrupted. Every program I tried to play recorded on those days elicited a message saying that something was wrong with the recording but that it found the same program on demand and played that instead. I rebooted and did a system refresh on 1/24 and the problem seemed to go away with newer recordings. I never looked at version numbers, but something very screwy was going on for a while.
Same here. Must have been nationwide, or at least West Coast. Might have possibly broken the record of simultaneous cursing.
post #2608 of 2632 Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Same here. Must have been nationwide, or at least West Coast. Might have possibly broken the record of simultaneous cursing.
It happened here in the Tucson area too, so it was at least a western or southwestern issue. It is my understanding the 4k Comcast boxes do all their recording in the cloud, so it sounds like a problem with Comcast's equipment (servers?) and may have had nothing to do with the boxes in your home. Fortunatly, all the programs I was recording during that time were either shifted to a later time when they were rebroadcast or made available through what I assume was On Demand. There was a message saying that Comcast had found an alternate source for the corrupted material. I have no idea what they really meant by that. Maybe, if the problem wasn't truly nationwide, they were able to get clean copies from elsewhere in the Comcast network.

post #2609 of 2632 Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It happened here in the Tucson area too, so it was at least a western or southwestern issue. It is my understanding the 4k Comcast boxes do all their recording in the cloud, so it sounds like a problem with Comcast's equipment (servers?) and may have had nothing to do with the boxes in your home. Fortunatly, all the programs I was recording during that time were either shifted to a later time when they were rebroadcast or made available through what I assume was On Demand. There was a message saying that Comcast had found an alternate source for the corrupted material. I have no idea what they really meant by that. Maybe, if the problem wasn't truly nationwide, they were able to get clean copies from elsewhere in the Comcast network.

It had happened here in the Mid Atlantic as well I applaud Comcast for making the watching of those recordings seamless by immediately going to either the cloud or on demand.
I know many dislike Comcast and yes they have faults but this past week gave me confidence that at least the powers that be are trying to create an enjoyable viewing experience. Now give us native resolution and less compression and I’m good.

post #2610 of 2632 Old 01-29-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If they do all the recording in the cloud, why do they even put a limit on how much you can record (by listing how full your device is)? Or why not make the limit much higher? They delete stored programs after a year, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page