Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes

post #2791 of 2806 Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Are there any advantages to using Comcast's Netflx & Amazon Prime apps vs my TV.
There is/was an advantage. If you use the comcast/xfinity NETFLIX app they don't charge you for the data (as far as I can tell). If you use the app on your TV the data comes through your cable modem and is counted against your data total for the month. Now during lockdown it seems comcast has removed data limits but I imagine they will be back. When my kids are home from college we often go over the data limit so I get unlimited data in the summer.
markrubin likes this.

--. .-. .- - . ..-. ..- .-.. / -.. . .- -..
Dyslexics are teople poo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2806 Old 05-22-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
There is/was an advantage. If you use the comcast/xfinity NETFLIX app they don't charge you for the data (as far as I can tell). If you use the app on your TV the data comes through your cable modem and is counted against your data total for the month. Now during lockdown it seems comcast has removed data limits but I imagine they will be back. When my kids are home from college we often go over the data limit so I get unlimited data in the summer.

Not true. All internet apps available on the X1 box will count toward you data cap (if you have one). The only exception is some 4K internet based movies and sports programs from sources that are part of your TV package.
gomo657 likes this.
post #2793 of 2806 Old 05-24-2020, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd View Post
Thanks Ed I have unlimited on my internet. I have been using my TV for Netflix and Amazon prime streaming with both doing 4K & HDR for the most part with no issues. Should we be setting the picture resolution setting to 720P and not the 4k resolution setting this way the TV does the up-scaling?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k Universal Player
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo 5 Channel Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2794 of 2806 Old 05-24-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Hi, I finally swapped out for the X1 yesterday.

Still playing around. 4K content. Let’s use Super Bowl for a moment and pretend it’s February.

The only way to see available 4K content is by saying 4K into my remote? Am I missing something? I sort of expected 4K option in the channel guide. I know there are not many options yet but if something is being broadcast in 4K live how do I know?

I understand there were some College Football games broadcast last year in 4K. I’d rather see in the channel guide that a show is being broadcast live in 4K. It would be cool if a 4K guide option. Super Bowl 4PM. I select and it moves me over to Fox. The guide is used to see available content but not a new unique channel. It just shows me at a glance what’s live. Click it and it moves me to that channel.

And again, you have to speak 4K into remote to get to content? No other way in?

Thanks, just starting to check this all out.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 05-24-2020 at 09:38 AM.
post #2795 of 2806 Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
Hi, I finally swapped out for the X1 yesterday.

Still playing around. 4K content. Let’s use Super Bowl for a moment and pretend it’s February.

The only way to see available 4K content is by saying 4K into my remote? Am I missing something? I sort of expected 4K option in the channel guide. I know there are not many options yet but if something is being broadcast in 4K live how do I know?

I understand there were some College Football games broadcast last year in 4K. I’d rather see in the channel guide that a show is being broadcast live in 4K. It would be cool if a 4K guide option. Super Bowl 4PM. I select and it moves me over to Fox. The guide is used to see available content but not a new unique channel. It just shows me at a glance what’s live. Click it and it moves me to that channel.

And again, you have to speak 4K into remote to get to content? No other way in?

Thanks, just starting to check this all out.
yes either the voice or manual search until they create a dedicated channel.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #2796 of 2806 Old 05-26-2020, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I may need to replace my x1 cable box. Are these boxes plug and play or is there some kind of authentication process one must go through with Comcast? The problem is that this box only plays DVR recordings in Spanish. Spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and online with Comcast and could not correct the problem. This is one of three cable boxes installed in my home in addition to the main DVR/cable box.
post #2797 of 2806 Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotapix View Post
I may need to replace my x1 cable box. Are these boxes plug and play or is there some kind of authentication process one must go through with Comcast? The problem is that this box only plays DVR recordings in Spanish. Spent a couple hours yesterday on the phone and online with Comcast and could not correct the problem. This is one of three cable boxes installed in my home in addition to the main DVR/cable box.
In my experience, they're just plug and play. There is a pairing process with the remote but that is simple and straightforward. Whenever I need a new box I either go to the Comcast store and pick it up or have it shipped to me. Then I just bring it home and connect it.

post #2798 of 2806 Old 05-26-2020, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the reply. That’s what I was hoping.
post #2799 of 2806 Old 05-27-2020, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Should I be setting the picture resolution setting to 720P and not the 4k resolution setting if I want my TV to do the up-scaling? I understand that If I am watching a 4K program from Comcast I would need to change it back.

Sony A9G
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
post #2800 of 2806 Old 05-27-2020, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Should I be setting the picture resolution setting to 720P and not the 4k resolution setting if I want my TV to do the up-scaling? I understand that If I am watching a 4K program from Comcast I would need to change it back.
I have the XG1v4 box. I found through trial and error that I get better picture quality leaving the box set to 1080i. If you have an AV receiver that supports 4K, make sure the upscaling on that is turned of so that the tv can handle it on its own.
At one point Xfinity actually had a box with a resolution setting option “native”, letting the signal come through however it was being broadcast. That was a nice feature but no more.
As far as apps, I like to use the tv for that so that the signal is direct to the tv and not going from the cable box to the receiver to the tv. I like the interface better and I can add whatever apps I want, not just the options that Comcast has deals with.
markrubin likes this.
post #2801 of 2806 Old 05-27-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
I have the XG1v4 box. I found through trial and error that I get better picture quality leaving the box set to 1080i. If you have an AV receiver that supports 4K, make sure the upscaling on that is turned of so that the tv can handle it on its own.
At one point Xfinity actually had a box with a resolution setting option “native”, letting the signal come through however it was being broadcast. That was a nice feature but no more.
As far as apps, I like to use the tv for that so that the signal is direct to the tv and not going from the cable box to the receiver to the tv. I like the interface better and I can add whatever apps I want, not just the options that Comcast has deals with.
Thanks homerhd for that info. I will play with the 1080i and compare with the 720P. I just assumed that since it has been confirmed that Comcast converts all stations to 720P that it would also be picture resolution choice. I also use my TV for my streaming apps.

Sony A9G
Classe SSP-800 Pre/Pro
post #2802 of 2806 Old 05-27-2020, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The 4K X1 box does an excellent job of upscaling content to 4K. I leave mine on 4K. If you watch any internet content through the X1 box it will probably be in 1080p or 4K.
markrubin and gomo657 like this.
post #2803 of 2806 Old 05-30-2020, 06:42 AM

I guess it also depends on the upscaling capabilities of your tv. Some are great, others not so much. I have a Sony 900F that is one of the better at upscaling so I let it do it for me.
post #2804 of 2806 Old 05-30-2020, 06:52 AM

Dumb question: how do you check the resolution on a dvr recording?
post #2805 of 2806 Old 06-27-2020, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Dumb question: how do you check the resolution on a dvr recording?
Settings, Device settings, Video display
post #2806 of 2806 Old 06-27-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
Settings, Device settings, Video display

Isn't that the video format for the output from the DVR? It won't be the same as the format recorded unless the stream came from Comcast in just that exact format.
PaulGo likes this.

Bed-roomVizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p), Xfinity XG1v4-A (HD DVR), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
PC roomLG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Xfinity Internet, Roku Ultra with Netflix & Xfinity Beta Streaming channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page