2014 list of consumer available DVR's with 2016 updates - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #661 of 728 Old 08-23-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Not that this reference thread is the correct one to continue this conversation but you might want to look into this device, it looks to have component inputs although the word is still out as to whether the recordings are playable on a standard PC.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...-stripper.html
I've also seen similar devices on Amazon but the one I remember, for sure didn't allow PC playback of the recordings, they had to be played back on the device that recorded it.
I also remember a similar device where the OP procured his from Hong Kong but again I think the recordings were encrypted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 728 Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Not that this reference thread is the correct one to continue this conversation but you might want to look into this device, it looks to have component inputs although the word is still out as to whether the recordings are playable on a standard PC.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...-stripper.html
I've also seen similar devices on Amazon but the one I remember, for sure didn't allow PC playback of the recordings, they had to be played back on the device that recorded it.
I also remember a similar device where the OP procured his from Hong Kong but again I think the recordings were encrypted.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.
post #663 of 728 Old 08-24-2015, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie to Cord Cutting

I am working on cutting the cable but need to understand some things. My wife wants a DVR to record local over the air programs. I started looking at the various DVRs and was shocked with prices. I don't want to go back to a subscription service like Tivo. I was considering the Channel Master DVR plus and biting the bullet but now read about boxes like HomeWorx HW180STB. Do they both do the same thing especially with the big price difference? I may need some of the features of the Homeworx since I have a monster antenna in the attic but I am sure it is only analog and would need to convert it. But the main reason I am looking is to find a programmable box to schedule recording programs for the wife to replace the DVR we had with cable. Please educate me or tell me where to go. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #664 of 728 Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM

The cheap boxes like Homeworx and iView do record HD and play it back in the same quality but they have some major caveats. For one thing they can be "quirky" meaning that they don't always record what you have programmed and can act up in various other ways. Another big negative is you can't be recording one show while playing back a previously recorded show(though you can chaseplay the show you are currently recording). So you can't be watching what you recorded yesterday while recording something new at the same time. These boxes do have there place but there more for the ultra cheap or someone who can put up with their quirks, they also only have a PSIP guide meaning all you can really expect is a 12hr guide, although some stations go up to a couple of days. You can always program it like a VCR with start and stop times but again it doesn't always record what you've programmed.
A better alternative is the CM+(dual tuner) or even better at it's current price a 4 tuner Tivo OTA with no fees. For $300(not much more than the CM+, especially if you consider adding a USB HDD to the CM+) you get a top of the line DVR with a 2 week guide, no further fees and 4 tuners. Note with a Tivo you really need a internet connection, I suppose you might need that with the CM+ also but unlike the Tivo the CM+ can also work off PSIP(again with only 12+ hours of guide listings).
There are also other HD DVRs but really currently the CM+ and Tivo are your best options. If interested in the Tivo I'd suggest you act as soon as possible, it's possible it will jump back to it's normal $400+ price at any time, the $300 is just a very good sale going on now.
post #665 of 728 Old 08-24-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2940 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
I don't have the HW180STB but I do have the very similar HW150PVR and the Channel Master DVR+. I can tell you that both of these boxes do what they're designed to do reasonably well.

The Homeworx, iView, etc. are very simple recorders intended more or less as "digital VCRs." The DVR+ is a bit more elaborate. The differences should be in the chart at post four, but here are the big ones IMO:

• The HW has only one tuner, so it can only record one show at a time. The DVR+ has two tuners and can record two shows at once.
  • The HW uses the program guide broadcast by the TV stations themselves, which is generally pretty short (like 12 hours). The DVR+ can use the station-provided guides in a pinch, but also has a 14-day program guide provided via Internet by Rovi. (I suspect this accounts for much of the difference in price.)
  • The DVR+ can also use its Internet connection to provide access to a few streaming services (VuDu, Pandora, YouTube, and a few streaming TV channels that Channel Master provides for free).
  • The HW records programs by day-of-week and time-of-day only; generally called "VCR style" or "time-based" recording. The DVR+ can do this, but also can record programs by their name (called "name-based" recording). It can also skip reruns (if they're properly flagged in the Rovi-provided guide).
  • Both products have bugs, but IMO the DVR+ is more "polished" and has fewer obvious issues, as you'd expect from a more expensive product.
  • The HW is the better choice for exchanging files with a Windows PC; this ranges from difficult to impossible with the more expensive DVR+.
post #666 of 728 Old 08-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie to cord cutting

Thanks for the prompt responses. I tried to find the 4 tuner Tivo OTA but could not locate it. I see the write-up on CNET but when I went Tivo's site, it is not listed. Any suggestions where I can purchase. I am thinking that may be the way to go. Bite the bullet and purchase the better box.
post #667 of 728 Old 08-24-2015, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by probe47 View Post
Thanks for the prompt responses. I tried to find the 4 tuner Tivo OTA but could not locate it. I see the write-up on CNET but when I went Tivo's site, it is not listed. Any suggestions where I can purchase. I am thinking that may be the way to go. Bite the bullet and purchase the better box.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/supersavings

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #668 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been following this forum for awhile. I think I'm finally ready to buy something.

I was originally looking to get an iView for the price. I just didn't want to spend a lot, but I realize that the ability to play back subtitles is pretty high on my list of features.
Is the ChannelMaster DVR+ about the only device with this feature that doesn't have a monthly fee? It's certainly not cheap for having no HDD.
post #669 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Is the ChannelMaster DVR+ about the only device with this feature that doesn't have a monthly fee? It's certainly not cheap for having no HDD.
Click on the link in the post above yours.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #670 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Click on the link in the post above yours.
I checked that link before. It still requires a subscription.

Edit: Also, I see that the HW180STB is the current model from Homeworx. There's no details on the front page, anyone know the differences from the HW150PVR?
And between them and the iView, is there much to tell them apart?

Last edited by DoctorM; 09-08-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #671 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
What are you looking at?
Roamio OTA plus lifetime service = $300
There is no subscription.

- kelson h

post #672 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Edit: Also, I see that the HW180STB is the current model from Homeworx. There's no details on the front page, anyone know the differences from the HW150PVR?
And between them and the iView, is there much to tell them apart?
As Kelson said, no subscription required on the Tivo, that said a iView(etc.) and a Tivo are about as far apart as DVRs can get. It's like looking at a Mercedes and a moped, if your looking at a iView I really doubt a Tivo would be worth quibbling about.
AFA the different types of iView/Homeworx/etc. DVRs, they are all basically the same firmware, some lack inputs or the ability to record from clear QAM. I'd say stick with a iView or Homeworx, most people seem to purchase them and for what they're worth there OK. I own a couple iViews for overflow recording and they do work for the most part. They are very limited in their DVR playback features but do record and playback HD in the quality they were broadcast in, and are extremely cheap which is always nice.
post #673 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Roamio OTA plus lifetime service = $300
That's still a subscription, just paid in advance. It might beat out the ChannelMaster in final price since it includes a HDD, but Tivo will not get my money.

I'm a bit confused about the small boxes though (Homeworx, etc.). There's some talk in places about maybe they can handle closed captions, or burn them in or get a firmware update or ???? Anyone with any experience with them?
post #674 of 728 Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
You should be asking in the Homeworx thread. Presumably the people there have experience with the unit.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #675 of 728 Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
That's still a subscription, just paid in advance. It might beat out the ChannelMaster in final price since it includes a HDD, but Tivo will not get my money.
You're right. They won't. TiVo is not for you.
The iVew thread is here.
The Homeworx thread is here.
DoctorM likes this.

- kelson h

post #676 of 728 Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just for anyone interested, I was at Walmart today and actually found something similar to the iView/Homeworx sitting on the shelf.
It was RCA branded and called a Digital to Analog Converter, has a tiny remote (sort of like the v1 iView) and can record programs via USB. RF, RCA and HDMI video outs.

I'm surprised both by the RCA branding and that Walmart would carry this since most of these type boxes are not really for the mainstream consumer. I didn't catch the model number. I'll look next time I'm there.
post #677 of 728 Old 09-09-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was originally looking to get an iView for the price. I just didn't want to spend a lot, but I realize that the ability to play back subtitles is pretty high on my list of features.
I believe all iView 3500STB firmware versions have a bug that prevents viewing closed captions on playback, and for a long time the HW-150PVR shared this bug too. But on the Homeworx thread, the latest firmware versions for the HW-150PVR have been reported to play back closed captions correctly.

It's unclear whether iView's and Homeworx's cheaper "new" boxes (the 3200 and HW-180, respectively) can play back closed captions. Could go either way, but a word of caution about the 3200 and HW-180: Both have been reported to refuse to play back recordings made on another model, or even on the same model with a different firmware version! Not a problem if you only plan to buy and use just one box, I suppose; but a big headache if you ever get a second one and want to move recordings between them!

For the life of me I can't understand why the firmware developers would have put in a limitation like this, but at least the 3500STB and HW-150PVR don't have this restriction and can apparently play recordings from any version of any of these four boxes.

So given the above, I'd recommend a new HW-150PVR as the "cheap" box most likely to meet your requirements.

Quote:
Just for anyone interested, I was at Walmart today and actually found something similar to the iView/Homeworx sitting on the shelf.
It was RCA branded and called a Digital to Analog Converter, has a tiny remote (sort of like the v1 iView) and can record programs via USB. RF, RCA and HDMI video outs.

I'm surprised both by the RCA branding and that Walmart would carry this since most of these type boxes are not really for the mainstream consumer. I didn't catch the model number. I'll look next time I'm there.
That's the first time I've heard a "well-known" brand name associated with these boxes, but for some time Wal*Mart has sold a box branded the "eMatic." It's basically identical to the iView 3200 or HW-180. From your description, the new RCA box is very likely the same thing as well. If so, there's a good chance it'll have the same restriction on playing recordings from a different box.

But at least, when buying from a local store like Wal*Mart, if you don't like it you can easily return it without having to get an RMA, affix postage or pay UPS, etc.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-09-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Add a second reply
post #678 of 728 Old 09-10-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I believe all iView 3500STB firmware versions have a bug that prevents viewing closed captions on playback, and for a long time the HW-150PVR shared this bug too. But on the Homeworx thread, the latest firmware versions for the HW-150PVR have been reported to play back closed captions correctly.

It's unclear whether iView's and Homeworx's cheaper "new" boxes (the 3200 and HW-180, respectively) can play back closed captions. Could go either way, but a word of caution about the 3200 and HW-180: Both have been reported to refuse to play back recordings made on another model, or even on the same model with a different firmware version! Not a problem if you only plan to buy and use just one box, I suppose; but a big headache if you ever get a second one and want to move recordings between them!

For the life of me I can't understand why the firmware developers would have put in a limitation like this, but at least the 3500STB and HW-150PVR don't have this restriction and can apparently play recordings from any version of any of these four boxes.

So given the above, I'd recommend a new HW-150PVR as the "cheap" box most likely to meet your requirements.

That's the first time I've heard a "well-known" brand name associated with these boxes, but for some time Wal*Mart has sold a box branded the "eMatic." It's basically identical to the iView 3200 or HW-180. From your description, the new RCA box is very likely the same thing as well. If so, there's a good chance it'll have the same restriction on playing recordings from a different box.

But at least, when buying from a local store like Wal*Mart, if you don't like it you can easily return it without having to get an RMA, affix postage or pay UPS, etc.
JHBrandt - Thanks, lots of great info. I was considering the RCA from Walmart because of their return policy, but the remote was tiny (and lacked a CC button from what I could tell). It was also a little bit more expensive than the iView and Homeworx.

I searched Walmart's website, but couldn't find the box. Will definitely look for the model number when I'm there this weekend.

I think the Homeworx 180 does do the CC correctly from some comments on Amazon, but it's hard to get details out of people like if they're using RCA outputs or HDMI, etc. I just keep hoping for these boxes to actually show the real channel number on the front... and be reliable.

I'd spring for a $300 unit for more tuners and reliability, but with the Funai HD units (single tuner) largely gone and my personal distaste for TiVo, there isn't much out there HD AND reliable. That and my old Philips/Funai SD recorder's anamorphic 480 recordings probably aren't that much worse than true HD considering the low bitrate U.S. HDTV.
post #679 of 728 Old 09-10-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 1666
FWIW, I'm still happy with my TViX. They're getting hard to find these days, though.
post #680 of 728 Old 09-18-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To follow up a previous post of mine, Walmart carries the RCA DTA880: http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Digita...rding/46583029

The remote looks crap, but I wonder if being RCA it might be more reliable.
post #681 of 728 Old 09-18-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 343
RCA is only a name someone bought to use to sell cheap Chinese crap to con the consumer into thinking it's a brand name he's buying.
Polaroid is another example.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #682 of 728 Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
JHBrandt - Thanks, lots of great info. I was considering the RCA from Walmart because of their return policy, but the remote was tiny (and lacked a CC button from what I could tell). It was also a little bit more expensive than the iView and Homeworx.

I searched Walmart's website, but couldn't find the box. Will definitely look for the model number when I'm there this weekend.

I think the Homeworx 180 does do the CC correctly from some comments on Amazon, but it's hard to get details out of people like if they're using RCA outputs or HDMI, etc. I just keep hoping for these boxes to actually show the real channel number on the front... and be reliable.

I'd spring for a $300 unit for more tuners and reliability, but with the Funai HD units (single tuner) largely gone and my personal distaste for TiVo, there isn't much out there HD AND reliable. That and my old Philips/Funai SD recorder's anamorphic 480 recordings probably aren't that much worse than true HD considering the low bitrate U.S. HDTV.

MickinCT
post #683 of 728 Old 09-18-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:

Ther is a CC button on remote watch video.

MickinCT
post #684 of 728 Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Not having a Homeworx, how close is what's being shown to the menu and functionality of the RCA?
post #685 of 728 Old 09-20-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking at the Walmart site, I can see the RCA box has the "look and feel" of other RCA converter boxes, including their original CECB from circa 2009. But it only took 15 seconds of their YouTube video for me to see that on the inside, it's just another Homeworx/iView/eMatic clone. Nothing wrong with those that hasn't been discussed already, but don't expect anything more. Basically, you're getting one of those and paying about $10 extra for the RCA brand name.
post #686 of 728 Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After a long wait with very little new to announce in this topic, it looks like Magnavox may have finally gotten it right:
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Looks like CM will have some serious competition.

http://www.cnet.com/products/magnavo...00-series-dvr/
The announced prices are high ($400-$500; close to TiVo w/ lifetime), but those may not hold up once they actually hit the market.

They come with 1TB or more storage, the most expensive model has 6 tuners, and they have some unique features that will appeal to some users, such as the ability to watch recordings from an iPad or Android device over WiFi.

The cheapest model has a built-in DVD (but not Blu-Ray) recorder; the others are strictly DVRs. No streaming apps yet, although that may change with future firmware updates, as we've seen with Channel Master's DVR+.

Earlier Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders did not record in HD, so it's interesting that the review didn't specifically state the new models will! But I'm pretty certain they do; if they didn't, the reviewer surely would have mentioned it in the drawbacks. Besides, the Philips models reviewed in this thread record in HD, and Magnavox is just another brand name for the same manufacturer (Funai).

However, I'm sure that burning a recording to DVD (on the DVD-sporting model) will down-convert it to SD (480i) or at best ED (480p); otherwise, the DVD wouldn't play on a standard DVD player.

One curious line in the linked review:
Quote:
As usual, the broadcast TV networks -- such as CBS, the owner of CNET -- can flag programs to be un-copyable, so any such content would be unable to be transferred to mobile device or disc.
I believe the no-copy flag has always been part of ATSC, but I know of no OTA station that uses it, and I doubt most current tuners even enforce it (unless the channel were encrypted, which I presume would make it unwatchable on these DVRs anyhow). So why mention it? I guess just so CBS's lawyers have their @$$es covered, but I don't know for sure.
tveli and Jim1348 like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-09-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Add discussion about recording in HD
post #687 of 728 Old 01-09-2016, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Earlier Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders did not record in HD, so it's interesting that the review didn't specifically state the new models will! But I'm pretty certain they do; if they didn't, the reviewer surely would have mentioned it in the drawbacks. Besides, the Philips models reviewed in this thread record in HD, and Magnavox is just another brand name for the same manufacturer (Funai)..

Just to clarify your statement about the coming Magnavox models this fall. The current Magnavox models on the market introduced late last year (MDR865H -500gb records in HD + added external drives). (MDR867H - 1tb records in HD and can stream to external devices + added external drives) & (MDR868 same as the MDR867 but with a 2tb internal hard drive)
post #688 of 728 Old 01-09-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Apparently this thread is a bit outdated, at least when it comes to Funai-made DVRs. I haven't really followed them since I was underwhelmed by the Philips models and the earlier SD-only Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders.

Wajo follows these models pretty closely; if he has time perhaps he can help update the start of this thread. The chart's already pretty wide though; it may be necessary to split the discontinued models onto their own separate chart to make everything fit.
post #689 of 728 Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 207
2016 HD DVRs

New DVRs

HARDWARECM DVR+Philips HDR5710, 5750Magnavox MDR865, 867, 868Magnavox MDR877, TB560HP, TB560HSiView, HomeWorX, Other DTV ConvrtrsTiVo Roamio ProTiVo Bolt
Cost new ($)250, 400250, 300290, 340, 400<350, 400, 45030-40600 w/ 1yr svc300, 400 w/ 1yr svc
Tuners ATSC (OTA)/ QAM (cable)/ NTSC (analog)2 ATSC1 All2 ATSC / QAM2 ATSC / QAM, 2 ATSC, 6 ATSC1 ATSC / QAM6 QAM4 ATSC / QAM
Internal Rec HDD (OEM)None, 1TB500GB, 1TB500GB, 1TB, 2TB1TB, 1TB, 2TBNone3TB500GB, 1TB
Internal Rec DVDNoNoYesYes, No, NoNoNoNo
Ext Rec EHDD (max)USB 3TBUSB 4TBUSB 4TBUSB 6TBUSB 1TBeSATA 6TBeSATA 3TB
Ext Rec USB ThumbYesYesYesYesYesNoNo
USB Version2.02.03.03.02.02.02.0
RF inputsOneOneOneOneOneOneOne
HD Video out HDMI, RGBHDMIHDMIHDMIHDMIBothBothHDMI 1080, 4K
SD Video outNoYellow RCAYellow RCAYellow RCANoBreakout cableNo
SD Video inNoNoYellow RCA, S-VidYes, Yes, YesNoNoNo
Sep. audio out Dig (Opt/Coax), StereoDig OptStereoDig Opt, StereoDig Opt, StrereoDig CoaxDig Opt, Breakout cableDig Opt, Stereo
Front panel display, LEDLEDLEDDisplayDisplay, LED, LEDBoth??None
Low power standbyYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
HDD spins down in standbyYes??????Yes????
Boot time from standby, sec>310????10????
Power consumption op, standby20, 120, 120, 1??9, 7,1????
HDD file system (format)EXT4XFS????NTFSProprietaryProprietary
Hardware build qualityFair/ GoodGoodGoodGoodFairGoodGood
TUNERS & CHANNELSCM DVR+Philips HDR5710, 5750Magnavox MDR865, 867, 868Magnavox MDR877, TB560HP, TB560HSiView, HomeWorX, Other DTV ConvrtrsTiVo Roamio ProTiVo Bolt
Separate OTA & Cable ch. scansNoYesYes??NoNoNo
Add ch. not in orig scanYesYesYesYesYes????
Add ch. via physical nos.YesYesYesYesYes????
Cable Card slot---NoNoNoNoYesYes
Edit ch. names, call ltrsNoNoNo??Call ltrs????
QAM ch. re-mappable---NoNoNo??????
Signal strength indicatorYes - dualNoYesYesYesYesYes
Scan skips encrypted QAM ch.---YesYesYesOnly some????
Skip guide ch. already in ch. list??------??Yes????
PROGRAM GUIDE & RECORDINGCM DVR+Philips HDR5710, 5750Magnavox MDR865, 867, 868Magnavox MDR877, TB560HP, TB560HSiView, HomeWorX, Other DTV ConvrtrsTiVo Roamio ProTiVo Bolt
Program guide PSIP (free), Rovi (free), PayPSIP, RoviNoNoPSIP, RoviPSIPPayPay
Fully usable without addt’l feesYesYesYesYesYesNoNo
HDD/EHDD rec w/o striping so EHDD can be disconnected w/o losing ALL recordingsYesYesYesYesYesNoNo
No. days of programming14----14<11414
Grid type of guideYes------YesNoYesYes
Combined or separate guide for all tunersComb.------Comb.---Comb.Comb.
12-hr (am/pm) or 24-hr clock12 hr121212241212
Time setting auto, manual & sourceBoth, NTPBoth, StationBoth, StationBoth, StationPSIP????
QAM ch. listings w/o using cable card---YesYesYesNoNoNo
Jump fwd & back in Guide1 dayYesYesYesNoYesYes
Guide search by program namesYesNoNo????YesYes
Save program searchesNoNoNo????????
Opt manual recording VCR styleYesYesYesYesYesNoNo
Protect recordings from deletionYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Record only new episodesNoNoNoYesNoYesYes
Name and/or time based recordingsNameTimeTimeNameNoNameName
Auto-adjust for changing days, start timesYes?NoNo??NoYesYes
Recording conflicts action auto, manual??ManualManualManualManual????
Auto-pad rec start & end in GuideYes------??YesYesYes
No. programs recorded at once2122, 2, 6164
Record indicators of future programsYes?NoNo??In Sch. listYesYes
Avail. HDD space shown% usedYesYesYesYes????
Adjustable buffer time amountFixedNo bufferNo buffer??Yes????
PLAYBACK & MISCCM DVR+Philips HDR5710, 5750Magnavox MDR865, 867, 868Magnavox MDR877, TB560HP, TB560HSiView, HomeWorX, Other DTV ConvrtrsTiVo Roamio ProTiVo Bolt
Dedicated play, stop, standby buttonsYesYesYesYesYes????
Remember where playback left offYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Skip ahead or back time amountsUp to 60 secUp to 5 min.Up to 5 min.Up to 5 min.No30/530/5
Closed Caption available in playbackYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Edit recorded program nameYesYes (auto titles)Yes (auto titles)Yes (auto titles)YesNoNo
User-selectable HD/SD rec modesNoYesyYesYes, No, NoNoNoNo
High-speed copy/move HDD>EHDD>HDDNoYesYesYes, ??, ??NoNoNo
Real-time dub HDD>DVD>HDDNoNoYesYes, No, NoNoNoNo
Edit titles on HDD/EHDD/DVDNoNoYesYes, ??, ??NoNoNo
Recordings encrypted on HDDNoNoNoNoNo????
Record history showing errorsYes?YesYesYesNo????
PC, USB file transfer abilityNo, NoYesYesNetworkNo, ReadNetworkNetwork
Media playerNoNoNo??Yes????
Create playlists for ext mediaNoNoNo??No????
Networking wired, wirelessWired/OptBothBothBothNoBothBoth
Internet services availableVuduManyManyMany---????
Multiple room rec and/or viewNoNoNoNo---w/Minisw/Minis
FW update Internet and/or USBBothBothBothBothUSBBothBoth
Support on-line, telYes, time limitBothBothBothBoth ltdBothBoth

Used/Refurbed/Discontinued DVRs

HARDWAREBriteView 980HCM7000, DTVPalCM7400, 458Digital Stream DPH1000DVICO TViX M6620ePVision PHD-VRX/2Moxi HDMR 1500TiVo S3, HD, Premiere, P4
Cost on Ebay ($)??25-300160-200100-200500@epvision.com80030 up w or wo service
Tuners ATSC (OTA)/ QAM (cable)/ NTSC (analog)1 ATSC / QAM2 ATSC2 ATSC / QAM2 All2 ATSC / QAM2 All2 or 3 QAMAll excpt P4
Internal Rec HDD320G250G320G320GNoneNone500GVarious
Ext rec EHDD, ThumbStickNoneBothBothBothBothYes, NoNo
RF inputsOneOneOneOneOneTwoOneVarious
HD Video out HDMI, RGBHDMIBothBothBothHDMIHDMIBothBoth
SD Video outNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNone
SD Video inNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNone
Digital audio out Optical, CoaxialNoneOpticalOpticalOpticalBothOpticalBothOptical
Front panel display type text, LEDLEDLEDClock, LEDLEDFull TextBothLEDLED
SD DVD burnerNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
USB VersionNoneNone??????2.02.02.0
Low power standbyYesNoNoYesYesYesNo stdbyNo stdby
HDD spins down in standbyYesNoNo?YesYesYesNo stdbyNo stdby
Boot time from standby30 sec------30 secover 60 sec30 sec---5.5 min.
Power consumption op, standby9, 123, 2124, ?15, 1 ?20 , 122, 15, 226, 10 Mate26, 10 Mate
HDD file system (format)NTFSDFS proprietaryEXT3NTFSNTFSEXT2Linux ?MFS proprietary
TUNERS & CHANNELSBriteView 980HCM7000, DTVPalCM7400, 458Digital Stream DPH1000DVICO TViX M6620ePVision PHD-VRX/2Moxi HDMR 1500TiVo S3, HD, Premiere, P4
Separate OTA & CATV ch. scansNo---NoNoNoYesNo scanNo
Add ch. not in the original scanYes ?Yes?Yes ?NoYes---Yes w/2nd scan
Add ch. via physical numbersNoYes?Yes ?Yes, no subYesNoNo
M cable card supportNo---NoNoNoNoYesYes
Edit ch. names and/or call lettersNoYesYesAnalog ?NoCall lettersNoNo
Ability to re-map QAM ch.No---NoNoNoNoYesNo
Signal strength indicatorNoYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Skip encrypted QAM ch.??---????YesYes w/CCYes
Skip guide ch. already in ch. list?No ???No?S3 No, P4 Yes
PROGRAM GUIDE & RECORDINGBriteView 980HCM7000, DTVPalCM7400, 458Digital Stream DPH1000DVICO TViX M6620ePVision PHD-VRX/2Moxi HDMR 1500TiVo S3, HD, Premiere, P4
Multi-day program guide; PSIP (free), Rovi (free), PayPSIPPSIPBothPSIP dig. onlyPSIPPSIPFull (ltd time only)Pay only
Fully usable without additional feesYesYesYesYesYesYesRegister DVRNo
HDD/EHDD rec w/o striping so EHDD can be disconnected w/o losing ALL recordingsYesYesYesYesYesYesNoNo
No days of programmingVariesVariesVaries, 14VariesUp to 1Varies1412
Grid type of guideNoYesYesNoNoNoYesYes
Combined or separate guide for all tuners---Comb.Comb.Comb.Comb.Sep.Comb.Comb.
12-hr (am/pm) or 24-hr clock241212 or 242412 or 24121212
Time setting; auto, manual & sourceManualBoth, PSIPBoth, PSIPBoth, PSIPPSIP, NTPNT, PSIP ManAuto, NTPAuto, NTP
QAM ch. listings w/o cable cardVaries w/MSO---Yes w/sub.Varies w/MSOVaries w/MSOVaries w/MSOYesNo
Jump fwd & back in GuideNo1-8 days3 & 24 hrsNo ??Page up/down24 hrsNot in grid view
Guide search by program namesNoYesYesNoNoNoYesYes
Save program searchesNoYesYes---------YesYes
Opt manual recording VCR styleYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Protect recordings from deletionNo ?YesYesYesYes YesYes
Record only new episodesNoNoYesNoNoNoYesYes
Name and/or time based recordingsTimeTimeName (pd G)TimeTimeTimeNameName
Auto-adjust for changing days, start timesNoNoNoNoNoNoYesYes
Recording conflicts action auto, manualNoManualManualManualManualManualManual ?Auto
Auto pad recordings start & end in GuideNoNoYesIndirectlyNoNoNoYes
No, programs recorded at once1221222 or 3Various
Record indicators of future programs?YesYesFrom guideYesYes in Rec listYes??
Available HDD space shown?YesYesYesYesYesYes ??
Adjustable buffer time amountNoNoNo ?No bufferYesUp to 4 hrsNoNo
PLAYBACK & MISCBriteView 980HCM7000, DTVPalCM7400, 458Digital Stream DPH1000DVICO TViX M6620ePVision PHD-VRX/2Moxi HDMR 1500TiVo S3, HD, Premiere, P4
Dedicated play, stop, standby buttonsYesYesYesYesNo play, stopYesYesNo stop or stndby
Remember where playback left offYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Skip ahead or back time amountsNoneBoth; 30 secFwd; 30 secNoneBoth variableBoth to 2 minFwd variableFwd 30 back ??
Closed caption available in playbackNoYesYesNoNoYesYesYes
Edit recorded program name?Yes?YesYesNoNoNo
User-selectable HD/SD rec modesNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
High-speed copy/move HDD>EHDD>HDDNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Real-time dub HDD>DVD>HDDNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Edit titles on HDD/EHDD/DVDNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Recordings encrypted on HDDNoYesYesNoNoNoYesYes
Record history showing errorsFailedYesNo ?YesNoYes (ltd)No ?Yes
PC, USB file transfer abilityNo, ReadNo, NoNo, YesNo, YesNo, ReadYes, YesYes, NoYes, No
Media playerNoNoYesYesYesYesYesYes
Create playlists for ext media------YesNoYesNoNoNo
Networking wired, wirelessNoNoBothNoBothWiredWiredWired
Internet services available------Hulu---NoneU TubeManyMany
Multiple room rec and/or view------No---YesNoYes, w/ mateYes, w/ mate
FW update Internet and/or USBUSBBothUSBNone availInternetUSBInternetInternet
Support on-line, telNoneLtdLtdNoneNoneBoth ltdBothBoth

Last edited by 7558037; 08-12-2016 at 05:05 PM.
post #690 of 728 Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow - that's quite an opus, @wajo ; thanks!

Ideally, the chart could (should?) be a Wiki. That way everyone could contribute their own knowledge rather than one or two folks having to consolidate all the needed info & make all additions/corrections on his/her own. But I don't think this forum's software would support such a thing, so we have to make do with dedicated volunteers.
GrouchoFan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page