iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #3121 of 5449 Old 04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Smith View Post

jprc - Is there a similar device you would recommend over the iView?

No. Out of all the similar devices your best bets are this iView or the Homeworx 150, which only have slight differences between them. Other than that you jump into a whole different class of product and different price range.

Here's a DVR thread you might want to take a look at that videobruce also started: https://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/2014-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 5449 Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Thanks again jprc - that is a very informative thread. The ultimate device I'm looking for has all the features of the iView, plus a built-in hard drive, and an RJ-45/network jack, so I could play the recorded files over a network.
post #3123 of 5449 Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
The TViX is the only one (aside from TiVo) with any ability to play files over a LAN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 5449 Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The TViX is the only one (aside from TiVo) with any ability to play files over a LAN.

Tablo? Although it has other shortcomings, like the inability to play files via HDMI or Component directly to the primary display . . .

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3125 of 5449 Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Tablo is an autonomous capture card, not a DVR, AFAIK. It makes it easy to stream, but you're streaming the files it transcodes, not the original audio and video sent by the broadcaster, which is what a DVR would record.
post #3126 of 5449 Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is probably not correct forum etiquette, but I couldn’t figure out how to search for member Locations. Is anyone in the Portland Oregon (PDX) area using one of these iView 3500’s OTA to successfully record the local ABC broadcast? This would be KATU-HD 2.1. I have literally hundreds of successful timer recordings over the last 8 months on the local OTA CBS (KOIN 6.1) and NBC (KGW 8.1) stations. 95% of the time I can’t make a timer recording on ABC. All three broadcast channels have signal strength in the 90’s. I don’t record much on ABC, but I have to keep another recorder just for ABC. I have watched the missed recordings happen; the iView turns on a couple of minutes early to allow for boot time, verifies a USB drive is attached, switches to ABC (2.1) – but then just stays in tuner mode. The recording never starts. I had been using a Magnavox mdr533 for the ABC recorder, then moved to the Philips hdr5710 hoping it would be a single HD solution to having two recorders. The Philips is at best a marginal backup unit. I should note that the Magnavox or the Philips have never missed a timer recording on ABC. Hopefully somebody in this area has an iView 3500, monitors this forum, and has tried a few recordings on the local ABC. Is it just my iView that has a problem? A pm mail would help keep the forum traffic down. Thanks.
post #3127 of 5449 Old 04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 338

You could also try your local Portland OTA thread here:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/168423/portland-or-hdtv/8640

I had a similar issue with a channel local to my market, WCCO CBS. I'd occasionally miss a event or it would end up being short. It finally got to the point where it didn't record at all, the channel disappeared from the scan list. I tried a manual channel add to no avail, a total scan as well as a unplug of my iView, nothing let me get the channel. I should note I have several other tuners(TVs, Tivo, etc.) hooked to the same antenna and other than the occasional blip they got WCCO just fine, 80-90% signal strength. This weekend I moved my attic antenna about 5 degrees(hardly anything) and finally after a channel scan I now get WCCO, and no blips on my other devices.

Guess what I'm saying is you might want to try and re orientate your antenna if possible, for the most part my iView tuner seems to do a good job but for what ever reason it must have been more prone to multipath issues than my other tuners.

You did a good job of describing how a event starts, the iView turns on about 1 minute prior to an event, powers up USB HDD and tunes to the correct channel, at the start time it starts recording to the USB HDD and at the end of the event it shuts off the USB as well as the iView turns off. It's possible if something wrong is detected during the warm up period it may not start the recording.

post #3128 of 5449 Old 04-28-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Try your local reception thread. wink.gif

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3129 of 5449 Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I initially noticed the time of the recording to be off (but after a quick skim of the previous posts here -- no I didn't read all 105 pages of comments) .. it seems the timer for the recording seems dependant on the channel which the iView is on (some channels can be off with their time by a great deal .. our local PBS is way off by over 1 min) .. I too have also noticed the sensitivity/touchiness of the channel scan (at one point I had 60 channels now I am down to 40 ). I am trying using a powered hub with my external hard drive and it seems to be working out well . (no missed recordings yet) .. I know there have been previous posts on this topic so I thought I would give it a try as well. (I am using a 2.5" usb3 bus powered hard drive).
post #3130 of 5449 Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hello all, long time lurker but joined because I have a question (and thanks for the firmware updates!).  I have a 3500stb, have had it since the beginning (march 2013) and it's worked well for the most part.  But something odd has happened that I need everyone's input on.  In my area we do have clear QAM on my cable system, last night it just stopped working.  I've checked other QAM tuners, working fine so I know it's not the cable co.  I can get over-the-air with the 3500stb, that works fine, but when using QAM all I'm getting is "no signal".

I've since tried software upgrades all of them in fact, but same issue, nothing on QAM!   Has anyone had this unit just stop working for QAM?   Also, another question is which unit is better the original 3500stb or the newer 3500stb II?    Thanks in advance for any help!

post #3131 of 5449 Old 05-04-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

1. Check your cables and confirm signal with another good tuner (TV, etc.),
2. Try connecting it in another location,
3. Do a rescan,
4. Check to see if the mode was switched from CATV to Air.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3132 of 5449 Old 05-04-2014, 04:14 PM

1. Did already check with a known good digital (QAM) tv tuner, am getting signal from cable co, using same cables (as was inputted into the 3500stb), even substituted new cables same result (received signal for known good tuner, 3500stb says it sees "no signal" for anything.

2. Checked another location with 3500stb, same result, no QAM tuning.

3. Have re-flashed and tried all firmware versions on this site, and rescanned everytime (After doing factory reset), nothing worked.

4. Did check and no was in Cable mode not air.

This unit will pickup all known channels over the air, but has stopped picking up any QAM channels.  Doesn't make sense to me since it's the same tuner, very strange. Have even unplugged the unit for awhile, plugged it back in, same result.  It just stopped picking up QAM channels the other day.   Has this happened to anyone here before?  Didn't have time to scan 100+ pages, did search but didn't find anything.

Also..what are the differences between the original 3500stb and the newer 3500stb II?  Is the newer one better? older one better? 

post #3133 of 5449 Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

AFAIK, the difference is just the far better remote.

post #3134 of 5449 Old 05-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reply!  Looks like this unit just decided to give up on the ability to tune QAM channels.  So it lasted 13 months and that was it.  Still will work for OTA channels, just decided against QAM.   Oh well, have to buy something else.  Not sure if I will give the iView another chance since now they say $20 to pay for return shipping if it's defective under the warranty.  That's pretty sad, as other warranties for PVR/STB's like this only require the customer to ship it to them, then they pay to ship it back as it's under warranty.  So off I go to look at something else.   Thanks though for the input!:)

post #3135 of 5449 Old 05-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Danshane,

I had only had it a week. I decided that the problem was most likely the older USB (PATA) hard drive & USB box. I went out & bought a new 2TB USB 2/3 drive and have not had this problem since.

Other problems I'll be posting soon that I've had and need more time to really characterize them but I have the basics and others may be able to enlighten me as to the possible cause and any remedies if available.

Thanks! (original posting 4/1/14)
post #3136 of 5449 Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Interesting problems I'm noticing.

1. I've never been able to see more than 12 hours of programming on any channel and most of the time considerably less than that.

2. I've noticed that many times when trying to save a timer it tells me that there is a conflict with item 01 in the timer schedule. Even if I'm recording a different channel, different time, different day, and different show title. If I delete the program in slot 01 it continues to tell me there is a conflict with the program in slot 01. There is probably a conflict with one of the already added timers but it gives the wrong one most of the time. I always have to find it myself.

3. Sometimes I've gotten a recording stated to be from the correct station, the correct day, the correct time, yet it is NOT the program that was in fact playing on that station, day, and time. This was confirmed by my wife watching the correct station, time, day, and program on a different TV while the iView was supposed to be recording the show for me to watch later. This timer worked fine the first week, then 2nd week it recorded nothing, there was no show of that name on that week, the third week it worked fine and the fourth week it recorded the wrong show. I don't have any idea how it did that.
post #3137 of 5449 Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 AM

I just got my 2nd Iview today. I was trying to upgrade the firmware. It went through the blue screen and started to reboot. It had the dashes across the leds when the cat unplugged it. Now I get nothing. Did I brick the thing? Any suggestions? HELP... LOL!

post #3138 of 5449 Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1. Check your cables and confirm signal with another good tuner (TV, etc.),
2. Try connecting it in another location,
3. Do a rescan,
4. Check to see if the mode was switched from CATV to Air.

VB, just to follow up and let you and everyone else know that a problem WAS found after all.   Turns out that some contractor decided to make some more $$$ on the side and put filters on incoming cable tv lines, blocking all tv channel frequencies!   Even though everyone was already paying for tv service!   I was able to catch a local cable tech while he was in the neighborhood and told him of my issues.   He opened up the access box and there it was!  Filters on all the lines! Tech removed all the filters, and no more problems!  I've suspected for a long time that some contractor was screwing with the system to make more money by messing with the system.  The tech was making a report to his boss, and I'll definitely be following up with the local office.

But the 3500stb was not to blame (and it's not defective after 13 months of use), that's why it was able to still pick up over-the-air signals, the tuner was NOT bad at all!  I had flashed to v13 firmware, and am experimenting with all the versions to see which one I like the most.  Still able to work with QAM signals on my system, no problems. Tuner is working well now.    Thought everyone would like to know how it all turned out.

post #3139 of 5449 Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 PM

You previously stated:
"1. Did already check with a known good digital (QAM) tv tuner, am getting signal from cable co, using same cables (as was inputted into the 3500stb), even substituted new cables same result (received signal for known good tuner, 3500stb says it sees "no signal" for anything."

What kind of a filter only blocks the iView but not your other good tuner?!!!!
post #3140 of 5449 Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahill View Post

You previously stated:
"1. Did already check with a known good digital (QAM) tv tuner, am getting signal from cable co, using same cables (as was inputted into the 3500stb), even substituted new cables same result (received signal for known good tuner, 3500stb says it sees "no signal" for anything."

What kind of a filter only blocks the iView but not your other good tuner?!!!!

I'm glad you brought that up, forgot to mention that in my last post!  You're right it doesn't make sense!  Here is what happened... All the frequencies were blocked where the cable co was carrying the tv signals.  The other tuner was found to be tuning over the air signals not QAM! Later after my first post,  switched it over to QAM there also was no signal.  The next day I found a cable tech at a neighbors house and asked him to check out my place.  Then found some rogue contractor who was putting filters on paying customer's incoming cable lines. I've been in touch with the higher ups at the cable company and they're investigating this.  This isn't the first time we've had trouble here, looks like some contractor trying to keep himself in business by creating problems.

post #3141 of 5449 Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 PM

I think I may have just bricked my new 3500STBII. I updated the firmware. It went through the "Upgrading Software Do Not Turn Off". But after that screen it just went blank and now I have 4 red dashes and the Green Signal light on. I cannot get it to do anything. Any help would be appreciated.

post #3142 of 5449 Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 PM

I know with computer upgrades that flash (program) the firmware, if the power is lost during that the only way is to pull the prom (programmable read only memory) chip and replace it with a known good one that has been flashed (programmed) on a prom burner.  Do you have it hooked up via the composite video output?  If not, try that. After I've flashed mine, the screen turns black, the system reboots/restarts, the iview logo shows, then it'll go into the tuning mode.  Then the programming is done.   hmm..  If it's hooked up via the composite (regular rca video) video and it's working you should see something.  If not I'm afraid it's what they call "bricked"  and needs more equipment than you probably have to fix it.  Sorry to say :( 

post #3143 of 5449 Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM

No power was lost. The crazy thing is, this is my second firmware upgrade that failed. I have upgraded firmware on many things in my lifetime (network engineer), but I have never had trouble like this. 

I have it connected to HDMI. I'll connect it to composite and see if it is there. 

post #3144 of 5449 Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 AM

ahh yeah then being in IT you definitely know how to flash firmware.  hmm.. no power loss.  I'm wondering if you had the usb drive fat32 formatted? I was hearing it liked fat32 as the file system on the usb drive.  well check out the composite output maybe that still works, I know with the newer firmware versions it also sets the antenna output to channel 3 by default.  Might check the antenna output to channel 3 see if you can see something there, at least enough to re-flash it.

post #3145 of 5449 Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 AM

I tried coax. No go. :(    I rebooted it, and it will not even power on (no dashes).

post #3146 of 5449 Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM

I just had the same problem. Updated using v13a and it killed the iview. No power whatsoever. Just dead. Anybody have any ideas?

post #3147 of 5449 Old 05-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneheadlight View Post

ahh yeah then being in IT you definitely know how to flash firmware.  hmm.. no power loss.  I'm wondering if you had the usb drive fat32 formatted? I was hearing it liked fat32 as the file system on the usb drive.  well check out the composite output maybe that still works, I know with the newer firmware versions it also sets the antenna output to channel 3 by default.  Might check the antenna output to channel 3 see if you can see something there, at least enough to re-flash it.

My usb drive is FAT32. 

post #3148 of 5449 Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx N Stones View Post

I just got my 2nd Iview today. I was trying to upgrade the firmware. It went through the blue screen and started to reboot. It had the dashes across the leds when the cat unplugged it. Now I get nothing. Did I brick the thing? Any suggestions? HELP... LOL!

Contact iView, [email protected] - I worked on some embedded satellite software as a consultant adding some code for a feature the customer wanted. The code grew so large that one day when I uploaded it to the simulator I could no longer upload another version. It turned out that the boot loader had been over written.

If iView did not make the boot loader something in ROM but rather something like this sat which was loaded every time the software is updated, then yes you could have bricked it by it not getting at least the boot loader in before the cat pulled the plug. Only an email to iViewus will tell us for sure.

Good-luck & keep us posted!
post #3149 of 5449 Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 AM

The Remote Control Fix, that you can do!

In thinking about the remote control directionality problem I decided last night to try a simple experiment that I've used for a number of other LED projects where the light coming out of the LED was too directional. I placed a small diffuser in front of the LED, thus causing the IR light to spread out a bit more than it did with the lens type LED used. The diffuser I used was a simple piece of clear, write-on type, cellophane tape. The LED in the iView remote is recessed a bit so the tape never touched the LED surface and it worked like a charm! I was even able to point the remote towards the ceiling and it still controlled the iView box every time.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. Oh, one piece of advice, the remote will probably not work with batteries as low in voltage as is used to with this modification. By diffusing the light it means any light getting into the iView receiver is weaker than it used to be since the same amount of light is now diffused into a larger area so that at least some of it will get into the iView receiver. With the light more directional, with just the LED lens, it was a stronger signal when we could get it into the correct location on the receiver, with it more diffused it is weaker but some of the light seems to get into the receiver no matter how badly the remote is aimed at the box. So with less light getting to the box the batteries will need to be in somewhat better condition to still produce enough light in this diffused condition to allow control of the box.

It is too soon for me to tell any difference in lowest usable voltage, but then I haven't even had my iView long enough to go through one set of batteries so I have no idea how weak the batteries would get before they couldn't control the box without a diffuser. If you have that information please post it and then see how it works with the diffuser and weak batteries. How weak is too weak? What is the lowest usable voltage without the diffuser and with a diffuser?

Just another note here, every receiver (iView box) and transmitter (iView remote) is different, so your lowest voltage may be higher or lower than someone else's.

Enjoy!
videobruce likes this.
post #3150 of 5449 Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilKE3FL View Post

Contact iView, [email protected] - I worked on some embedded satellite software as a consultant adding some code for a feature the customer wanted. The code grew so large that one day when I uploaded it to the simulator I could no longer upload another version. It turned out that the boot loader had been over written.

If iView did not make the boot loader something in ROM but rather something like this sat which was loaded every time the software is updated, then yes you could have bricked it by it not getting at least the boot loader in before the cat pulled the plug. Only an email to iViewus will tell us for sure.

Good-luck & keep us posted!

The unit took the firmware upgrade, then rebooted, had the - - - - dashes accross the LEDs when the power went out. It just hadnt finished rebooting yet. Anyway that was 2 units in one month so they both went back to Amazon. Shame...I really liked that unit, but no way I drop any more money to try a third one...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
power supply failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page