iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes

post #4801 of 5445 Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneheadlight View Post
Thanks for all that info! I did receive channels 38 (6 channels on QAM within that block) before the cable company began moving stuff around. They have never left anything alone just keep messing with stuff, including the cable internet.
Well, at least you know your old tuner can receive channel 38. There must just be something funky with the modulation since the change that throws off the old 3500STB.

Cable companies move channels around a lot. They probably think it doesn't matter because most QAM tuners understand the cable company's channel mapping, so with most tuners the viewer never sees anything change. But these MStar boxes have never supported cable channel mapping, so it's always a big mess with them.
Quote:
I would like to know, if you or anyone knows.. is there a better stand alone QAM tuner out there than the 3500STBII? I've heard the homeworx isn't so good lately.
I like the HW (except for its remote), but it doesn't have a display (except for the weird, overpriced, HW-220 "karaoke" model). Since that's important to you, you probably need something else.

Besides the CM-7003, here are a few other MStar boxes I know of with displays, but I don't know how bright they are:

• Boost Waves BW1658
  • eMatic AT103B
  • ViewTV AT163 or AT263

The original 7816-based eMatics were pretty decent, but the new 7802-based ones have lots of bugs. (To be fair, so did the 7802-based iViews when they first came out, but iView finally released some less buggy firmware for them a few months ago.) So I'd avoid the eMatic unless I knew it was an old 7816-based one.

Finally, if you just need a tuner and not a recorder, you might check out this box: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...yer-gx-sm530cf. No recording capability, but at least you won't have to rescan next time your cable company moves everything around on you. You can even add a CableCARD from your cable company to tune encrypted channels, but it will tune unencrypted channels without one.
Forget that - nice idea, but no banana. The Samsung does everything I said but it's a discontinued item, and the few remaining sellers want so much you could get a TiVo with lifetime for the price!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-22-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5445 Old 12-19-2016, 07:01 PM
QAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
UPDATE:
I was looking around on the forum and saw that Channel Master has come out with the7003 ATSC/QAM tuner. I ordered it from Amazon via Solid Signal. I will see if that solves all the problems and yeah it's the 7816 chip but maybe the display will be brighter than that of the 3500STBII. I'll update this soon, should have it this week.
At first glance from the pix shown in the ad:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cm-7003

It looks like a re-branded iView 3200 (with a redesigned case). The remote has the same keys in a different layout. Even has the same on-screen menus and external DC power supply. Nice price.
post #4803 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Reportedly, it's very similar to the HomeWorX. There's a thread about it here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/186-co...erter-box.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Actually the CM-7003, as well as the new iView 3500STBIIs, use 7802 chips now. All the importers (iView, HW, eMatic, etc.) seem to have switched from the 7816 to the 7802 in the last year or two. I suspect the 7816 chip isn't made anymore.

You can usually see which chip a box has by going to "System/Information" and looking at the HW Version. There aren't many differences between the two chips, but there are a few you need to be aware of:

• The one good thing I know of is that firmware for the 7802 chip generally supports closed captions on playback. (Unfortunately, some of the new iView firmware versions have bugs in this feature.) The 7816 firmware never did that, AFAIK.
  • The recording format is slightly different, meaning you can't easily take recordings made on a box with one chip and play them on a box with the other chip. You can often work around this by using a PC to rename the files, changing the extensions from .mts to .m2ts, then playing the renamed recordings in the "Movie" section of the USB menu instead of the "PVR" section.
  • Obviously, cross-flashing firmware between boxes with different chips is a big no-no! It will most likely brick the box.
I wanted to thank you for all your info! Some of it I remembered and some of I didn't know. Such as the changing of the file extensions to get the movies/videos to play correctly on the new unit.

Oh and being in IT I am well aware of the wrong firmware bricking the box, definitely not a good day when that happens!

You're right the Mstar-based boxes such as my 3500STB always had to rescan when the cable company didn't want to leave the mapping alone. I never understood why the moving around all the time. But it does make it a mess for the 3500STB. Sounds like the newer 7802 based boxes still have that issue.

I will definitely come back later this week to update how the 7003 is in regards to the video output/display being as bright as my older 3500STB.

I remember the ematics, I did try it and you're right! It was never as stable as the iview, even with its bugs!

I got a deal for $30 on the channel master 7003 thought I'd run with it. Plus that other thread was showing it looked like it was stable when operating. I'll have it on Thursday, excited to see if it'll fix my issues.

I do admit that having the recorder, media player on mine now has become something I enjoy. Nice to be able switch over and play mp3s, movies, etc.

And you're right it is similar to the Homeworx, just got it a bit cheaper. They're all the same chinese maker slapping different names on them.
post #4805 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 01:07 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
At first glance from the pix shown in the ad:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=cm-7003

It looks like a re-branded iView 3200 (with a redesigned case). The remote has the same keys in a different layout. Even has the same on-screen menus and external DC power supply. Nice price.
Hey QAM, very cool name. That reminds me, others were saying QAM on cable was going away. So far my provider has said they had no plans to remove it. Famous last words, right? I'm happy that I don't have to rent a box to get basic cable, for now.

Also you're right, I forgot all about the iView 3200! and I bet this is a version of that. For the $30 I got it at Amazon plus the decent review on the other thread by rabbit73 convinced me to try the 7003. Will be nice to have something stable. I've noticed the 3500STB I have will re-tune a channel when it's already on the channel! If I'm watching the channel, it'll blank out, then come back on, showing the channel display image, plus the channel. Quite annoying. Will be nice if this 7003 gets rid of that.

But thanks for the vote of confidence that I made a good choice!
post #4806 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will definitely come back later this week to update how the 7003 is in regards to the video output/display being as bright as my older 3500STB.
Please let us know. None of the photos I've seen of the 7003 show a display - but there's a suspiciously large black area right next to the USB port which almost has to be a display! Why doesn't anyone turn the box on when they take a photo of it? You'd think they'd want to brag about the display, not hide it!

QAM on cable isn't going away, but the "big boys" are definitely making clear (unencrypted) QAM go away. Comcast has already done so. Spectrum (merger of Time-Warner Cable and Charter) has made it go away in some big areas like DFW, but not in other, smaller areas.

There are some exceptions. Cox once said they felt clear QAM was a competitive advantage for them over satellite, since consumers could use their own tuners; don't know if they've changed their minds since, but hopefully not. Verizon FiOS will probably keep clear QAM too, since they can disconnect service at their "magic box" outside your home if you cancel service (or don't pay your bill). And smaller cable companies are more consumer-friendly - as long as they don't get bought out by one of the "big boys."
post #4807 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Please let us know. None of the photos I've seen of the 7003 show a display - but there's a suspiciously large black area right next to the USB port which almost has to be a display! Why doesn't anyone turn the box on when they take a photo of it? You'd think they'd want to brag about the display, not hide it!

QAM on cable isn't going away, but the "big boys" are definitely making clear (unencrypted) QAM go away. Comcast has already done so. Spectrum (merger of Time-Warner Cable and Charter) has made it go away in some big areas like DFW, but not in other, smaller areas.

There are some exceptions. Cox once said they felt clear QAM was a competitive advantage for them over satellite, since consumers could use their own tuners; don't know if they've changed their minds since, but hopefully not. Verizon FiOS will probably keep clear QAM too, since they can disconnect service at their "magic box" outside your home if you cancel service (or don't pay your bill). And smaller cable companies are more consumer-friendly - as long as they don't get bought out by one of the "big boys."
hey again! oh the display I meant was the video output on my tv screen. Not a display on the unit itself to give the channel number. The video output display was not as bright as my old one. So when I would watch the tv display the images were never as bright. As if you turned the brightness control on the tv down by 50%. I flashed to a newer firmware version and that's improved things, but it was more like 85% of the original 3500STB video level output.

I don't think there is a channel display on this 7003 unit, and that's ok with me. That red display (3500stb) was sometimes distracting off in the corner of my vision.

But no problem I will definitely give an update of it later this week.

Yeah the "big boys" can't stop to get every penny they can. I am with Wow cable, I think they might be one of the last bigger ones to offer QAM. For now. I heard the CEO of Wow was saying that "metered billing and caps" are "something that will exist in the future".. yeah ok. Didn't know this was the 80s when online access was billed by the byte. We all saw how well that went back then.

But for now, I'm happy to be saving the $$$ on not having their box. and have the freedom to be able to use the PVR function of these boxes.
post #4808 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
hey again! oh the display I meant was the video output on my tv screen. Not a display on the unit itself to give the channel number. The video output display was not as bright as my old one. So when I would watch the tv display the images were never as bright. As if you turned the brightness control on the tv down by 50%. I flashed to a newer firmware version and that's improved things, but it was more like 85% of the original 3500STB video level output.
That's odd - how is your iView connected to your TV? HDMI, component, composite, etc.
post #4809 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
That's odd - how is your iView connected to your TV? HDMI, component, composite, etc.
It's connected via composite cables to my analog tv. I did even check the cables, they were fine. Was really odd how dim the display of the menus were on the 3500STBII. I could barely see it. I flashed to the newest firmware and that brightened it up but never to the excellent level of the 3500STB. Very odd. That's why I'm hoping the firmware on the 7300 doesn't have this issue.

That's why I couldn't keep the 3500STBII, returning it to amazon. Sure, it picked up the other channels, but when the image quality was not the same as I was used to (Excellent) it had to go.
post #4810 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, that makes some sense. Since composite video is analog, I can see differences in the design of the composite output circuit changing the signal level to your TV (but apparently the firmware can have an effect too).

Same goes for component video. But if you'd had this problem with the HDMI output, that would've been a real head-scratcher!
post #4811 of 5445 Old 12-20-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
OK, that makes some sense. Since composite video is analog, I can see differences in the design of the composite output circuit changing the signal level to your TV (but apparently the firmware can have an effect too).

Same goes for component video. But if you'd had this problem with the HDMI output, that would've been a real head-scratcher!
Ahh yes, I see your point! So we'll see if the 7300 is bright. Hoping it is, would be nice to have a good composite video output AND be able to watch my missing channels again.
post #4812 of 5445 Old 12-22-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Ahh yes, I see your point! So we'll see if the 7300 is bright. Hoping it is, would be nice to have a good composite video output AND be able to watch my missing channels again.
Ok just a quick update, will have more info later (in detail).

I did receive the channelmaster 7003 tuner box. It is very similar to all the MStar boxes, with a charcoal grey menu display, etc.

It is a bit faster when searching for channels (auto search) than the 3500STB, I have. Only took maybe 10-15 minutes to get all channels offered by my cable company. Yes including the scrambled ones, have to start deleting them. The 3500STB would take nearly 30 minutes! And with the cable company always changing the mapping/locations, that was a pain to re-scan! so dumb they have to keep moving stuff around.

The remote needs a firm push on each button, so I think I'm going to find a universal remote that can learn.

There IS a display on the front, its an sort of an off yellow color.

EDIT:
The audio level is fixed, no volume control on the box like the 3500STB. But the audio level is one notch off of the 3500STB. If my volume used to be at 19 on the tv, now it's at 20. No big deal, just mentioning the differences.

UPDATE: Volume control DOES work. It is not documented in the owners manual. I happened to find it by accidentally hitting it. If you push the right arrow on the remote it will raise the volume on the 7003 unit, and the left arrow will lower it.

The video output (composite) is comparable to the 3500STB, that means it's bright about 95% or so of the 3500STB output level. It's not like that 3500STBII that I sent back. That was much darker in it's composite output.

There is no program guide info, the latest firmware for the 3500STB allowed network channel ID and a program guide. Oh well, the other firmware versions of the older 3500STB just had the odd channel numbers, and this 7003 is going right back to that.

Takes a little longer for the 7003 to boot. About 15 seconds, but channel changes are quicker once it's up and running.

ITS TINY! Even smaller than the 3500STB, since it has no internal power supply (ac/dc), has an ac adapter.

The date on the firmware was April 2016, and I was able to use a bright flashlight to look inside the vents to see the date code on the board. also April 2016.

Amazon just sent the box in a padded envelope (could they get any cheaper? sheesh).. But I see no damage to the unit, it was inside a bubble wrap bag inside the item box.

I can move this over to a new thread later on when I get more experience/time with this new unit. Just wanted to give an update to my issues. I think the 7003 is more stable than the 3500STBII. But time will tell. So far I'm happy, got my missing channels and a good video display and audio output!
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by oneheadlight; 12-23-2016 at 07:15 PM.
post #4813 of 5445 Old 12-22-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fifteen-second boot time is pretty much the norm for 7802 firmware. I tried several iView and HomeWorX 7802 firmware versions on my iView 3200STB and most took 15 or 16 seconds to boot. A couple took 21 or 22 seconds!
post #4814 of 5445 Old 12-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Fifteen-second boot time is pretty much the norm for 7802 firmware. I tried several iView and HomeWorX 7802 firmware versions on my iView 3200STB and most took 15 or 16 seconds to boot. A couple took 21 or 22 seconds!
Wow, I must have been lucky with my 3500STB booting within 10 seconds! I did count out on the 7003 to be precise and found it's booting in about 12 seconds.

I did update my previous post. I did find the volume control after all on the 7003! It is the left and right arrows on the remote. Nothing in the manual about it, I hit it by accident and thought "wait a minute!! That's the old volume display!" Now it's up to the right level, even louder than the old 3500STB!

Speaking of the volume..I played some mp3 audio files and noticed there is much, much more detail in the songs now than there used to be! Much better! Whatever D/A converter this 7802 is using is actually better than the old one! Awesome!

Also, I found that after re-arranging the channels to be consecutive, and deleting all the scrambled channels, this unit *IS* keeping the channels where I put them. I am very happy about that! the 3500STB never could keep them in any order always re-arranging them.

Oh and finally, the direct channel input (such as 42-3) via the remote actually works on this one! I was always just doing channel up and down before.

I think this firmware version Channel Master had the manufacturer install is very solid! I will mess with recording stuff onto a usb flash drive (for the fun of it).

And the firmware versions you were using were for the 3200STB? and the Homeworx? Obviously they worked, hmmm.. have me tempted to play around. But for right now it's finally a stable firmware and solid, I'll leave it alone for now
post #4815 of 5445 Old 12-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I'll be interested to see the results of the recording tests. Specifically any bugs regarding missing recordings -- or the old weekly recording bug. You may want to try a different drive than a flash drive, though. Any recording problems you run into may be difficult to differentiate between either the standard missed recordings due to flash drive write speed failure vs firmware recording failures.
post #4816 of 5445 Old 12-25-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Haven't seen a weekly recording bug on any of the new 7802 iViews, but some of the firmware had a bug with daily recordings acting like weekly ones or otherwise behaving incorrectly. Folks had to set 5-7 weekly recordings instead to work around it. 7802-based eMatics had the same bug too, so it's possible the CM-7003 has it as well. Wouldn't hurt to try a daily recording just to check.
post #4817 of 5445 Old 12-25-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, I must have been lucky with my 3500STB booting within 10 seconds! I did count out on the 7003 to be precise and found it's booting in about 12 seconds.
I think the boot time has tended to get longer as the firmware has evolved. 12 seconds is actually quite good.
Quote:
I did find the volume control after all on the 7003! It is the left and right arrows on the remote.
Makes sense; it's the left/right arrows on the iView too, but those buttons are also labeled "Vol" on the iView remote.

CM uses that same remote for the CM-7002, which I don't think has a volume control; so they probably left "Vol" off the remote to avoid confusing 7002 owners. But they should have mentioned it in the manual!
Quote:
I found that after re-arranging the channels to be consecutive, and deleting all the scrambled channels, this unit *IS* keeping the channels where I put them. I am very happy about that! the 3500STB never could keep them in any order always re-arranging them.
You know, I never tried rearranging channels on my iView 3200, so I don't know if that's been addressed. I need to try that.

I do know that one of my gripes with the old V13 firmware, as well as many newer versions, was that certain channels would automatically rescan themselves each time you tuned to them after a day or so. That was very annoying because any channels you'd skipped or deleted would come back, and any timers you'd set on those channels would be lost, so you'd have to remember to re-enter them manually. I hope CM fixed that bug!
Quote:
Oh and finally, the direct channel input (such as 42-3) via the remote actually works on this one! I was always just doing channel up and down before.
That's another one iView finally got right with their very latest firmware for the 7802 boxes. On V13, it does work with a full channel/subchannel number (like 42-3), and it also works with a "bare" channel number (like 42) if there's a 42-1 (and you didn't skip or delete it). But if you did skip or delete 42-1 (or it didn't exist in the first place), "42" would just stupidly report "Invalid Channel" and you'd have to enter the full number with the dash and subchannel. They finally fixed that in the latest firmware: "42" now goes to the lowest subchannel that isn't skipped or deleted.
Quote:
I will mess with recording stuff onto a usb flash drive (for the fun of it).
Remember that you may have problems recording to USB drives that have no relationship to the firmware. The most common is "skipping" or "stuttering" in the recording, more commonly on HD recordings, and which may only appear after the drive is partially filled up. For a fair test, spend $50 or so on a true HDD.
Quote:
And the firmware versions you were using were for the 3200STB? And the Homeworx? Obviously they worked, hmmm.. have me tempted to play around. But for right now it's finally a stable firmware and solid, I'll leave it alone for now
Some posts back I reviewed the latest iView and HomeWorX firmware. The iView versions are a little nicer, but the latest HomeWorX version (5.3) seems to be the least buggy. In fact I bet it's very similar to the CM-7003 firmware.
post #4818 of 5445 Old 12-25-2016, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Haven't seen a weekly recording bug on any of the new 7802 iViews, but some of the firmware had a bug with daily recordings acting like weekly ones or otherwise behaving incorrectly. Folks had to set 5-7 weekly recordings instead to work around it. 7802-based eMatics had the same bug too, so it's possible the CM-7003 has it as well. Wouldn't hurt to try a daily recording just to check.
Is the old 'Add Event' bug still a thing? I know it was fixed with the latest IView f/w release - but was it a thing on the other boxes like Homeworx?
post #4819 of 5445 Old 12-25-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HomeWorX is one of the few that never had that bug - and I asked buddies with HWs to check for it. I also checked HW firmware for that bug on my iView 3200 and never saw it.

My understanding is, it was an early 3500STB bug that got squashed by the time the HW came out - but then it reappeared in the 7802-based iViews and eMatics, zombie-like. (Edit: I think SW engineers now call this reappearance of an old bug a "regression.") I guess Mediasonic kept better records of their bug fixes, so they tested for it and were able to re-squash it quickly.

The CM-7003 firmware is about the same vintage (April '16) as the new iView firmware that has the fix, and I think it was reported to work correctly on the CM-7003 thread (although there was some initial confusion, since the Info button does bring up the schedule list).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-02-2017 at 07:01 AM.
post #4820 of 5445 Old 12-25-2016, 10:20 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
I think the boot time has tended to get longer as the firmware has evolved. 12 seconds is actually quite good.Makes sense; it's the left/right arrows on the iView too, but those buttons are also labeled "Vol" on the iView remote.

CM uses that same remote for the CM-7002, which I don't think has a volume control; so they probably left "Vol" off the remote to avoid confusing 7002 owners. But they should have mentioned it in the manual!You know, I never tried rearranging channels on my iView 3200, so I don't know if that's been addressed. I need to try that.

I do know that one of my gripes with the old V13 firmware, as well as many newer versions, was that certain channels would automatically rescan themselves each time you tuned to them after a day or so. That was very annoying because any channels you'd skipped or deleted would come back, and any timers you'd set on those channels would be lost, so you'd have to remember to re-enter them manually. I hope CM fixed that bug!
That's another one iView finally got right with their very latest firmware for the 7802 boxes. On V13, it does work with a full channel/subchannel number (like 42-3), and it also works with a "bare" channel number (like 42) if there's a 42-1 (and you didn't skip or delete it). But if you did skip or delete 42-1 (or it didn't exist in the first place), "42" would just stupidly report "Invalid Channel" and you'd have to enter the full number with the dash and subchannel. They finally fixed that in the latest firmware: "42" now goes to the lowest subchannel that isn't skipped or deleted.Remember that you may have problems recording to USB drives that have no relationship to the firmware. The most common is "skipping" or "stuttering" in the recording, more commonly on HD recordings, and which may only appear after the drive is partially filled up. For a fair test, spend $50 or so on a true HDD.
Some posts back I reviewed the latest iView and HomeWorX firmware. The iView versions are a little nicer, but the latest HomeWorX version (5.3) seems to be the least buggy. In fact I bet it's very similar to the CM-7003 firmware.
couple things I thought I'd post here and over on the cm-7003 thread..

oh yeah I knew about the usb hard drive issue and the flash drive not being fast enough to write. I was just going to play to see if my Lexar USB would even try to keep up. I will definitely have to get a usb hard drive and play around with it.

Definitely try and re-arrange some channels and see what happens. You're right, the 3500stb would re-scan every couple of days, more like "blink out, and rescan while it's on". Very buggy. I *HAD* rearranged the 7003's channels until last night..

This is when it got very unstable. I was watching tv, and all of a sudden the unit rebooted on its own! At first I thought I hit the power button, but that wasn't it. When it would reboot, the remote wouldn't be able to control the unit. I was being lazy, I know I could've gotten up from the sofa and unplugged it but I wanted to see what would happen. Eventually it did accept the power off button's command. But only rebooting and then I could turn it off.

It continued to do this until all the channels that were re-arranged were back into their original scanned order (by frequency block, not the channel number)! It was like a dog shaking off being wet! Removed all the customization that I wanted. Which was helpful since the cable company has the channels all over the place, nothing consecutive.

I have seen the 3500stb do this before, but luckily back then the cable company had the channels consecutive along with the frequencies.

This 7003 rebooting was a huge let down! I never had the 3500stb reboot on its own, no matter what firmware I was using. Sure, it would rescan on its own, but to continue to re-boot every 2-3 minutes (I timed it) is very odd.

I am planning on contacting Channel Master to see if they have the April 2016 firmware and possibly reflashing it would help, or if they have a newer version? I really feel it's a firmware issue, and I don't want to return it just yet until I can exhaust all the "tweaks" possible.

Has the rebooting issue re-surfaced as it did back in the day with the first batch of 3500stbII's? Or am I just "lucky"? lol..

Last edited by oneheadlight; 12-25-2016 at 10:30 PM.
post #4821 of 5445 Old 12-25-2016, 10:29 PM

oh and I also ordered another 3500STBII, because I've never seen that reboot, well not recently anyway.. I know the 3500STBII I had was low on the composite video output levels, but willing to try again. At least I could switch firmware versions with the iview..
post #4822 of 5445 Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Have a Samsung UN40H5003 and a STB3500II.

Connected AV composite to the TV (Right, Left, nothing, nothing, Video).

Switched input to STB3500II after turning it on and there was no sound or display.

Connected AV component to the TV (Right, Left, Red, Blue, Green.

Switched input to STB3500II after turning it on and everything worked just fine.

Why would this happen?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung-UN40H5003-Connections.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	1876593  

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #4823 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 08:45 AM
QAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
Have a Samsung UN40H5003 and a STB3500II.

Connected AV composite to the TV (Right, Left, nothing, nothing, Video).

Switched input to STB3500II after turning it on and there was no sound or display.

Connected AV component to the TV (Right, Left, Red, Blue, Green.

Switched input to STB3500II after turning it on and everything worked just fine.

Why would this happen?
Interesting... did you remove the main circuit board from the TV? Anyway, just a few observations... I see R-G-B Component inputs, Audio input (Red-White), 2 HDMI inputs, USB connector, Optical audio out, RF/Cable input connector.... but NO Composite connectors... on TV main board...huh? Why not use HDMI connection between 3500STB and TV, or are they already used by other equipment. Interesting.....
post #4824 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 08:50 AM
QAM

Update: oh wait, I see that the component connectors have multiple colors (ie green is also yellow) so looks like composite input multitasks with the component inputs (mutually exclusive). Never saw that before... LOL

Interesting.......
post #4825 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 5323 Post(s)
Liked: 3837
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Update: oh wait, I see that the component connectors have multiple colors (ie green is also yellow) so looks like composite input multitasks with the component inputs (mutually exclusive). Never saw that before... LOL

Interesting.......
Slightly off topic but interesting trivia:
There's actually an interesting installer trick one can use with any TV if you need to temporarily monitor the menu screen of some composite video out only product but only have a component in on your TV [or video switcher/AVR]:

Put the yellow RCA composite video out of your source device into the green RCA jack of the component video in of the display and you will see B&W 480i quality images: plenty good enough for negotiating menu screens to be sure everything is set properly.

edit to add: This image is also usually good enough for camera focusing purposes.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #4826 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
Why would this happen?
I would think in the Samsung TV menu there is a toggle selection where you can tell it to expect composite video or component video and you currently have it set to "component".

Composite video is bottle necked at 480i quality video [SD], whereas component can do much better HD resolutions like 720p, 1080i, and on some rare TVs even 1080p, not a common output but it does exist. HDMI, when available and when not having handshake problems, usually is the best bet and reduces your wiring clutter to a single cord for all resolutions plus you get audio too.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-06-2017 at 11:36 AM.
post #4827 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM

More: Page 10 of your TV's manual http://www.tv-manual.com/manuals/sam...ser_manual.pdf seems to describe that when the input selector , source, is set to "AV" it will look for composite video (single yellow RCA) and "component" will look for. . . drum roll please. . .component [red, green, blue RCAs].
post #4828 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I would think in the Samsung TV menu there is a toggle selection where you can tell it to expect composite video or component video and you currently have it set to "component".
Looked and couldn't find anything to that effect. Double-checked all my composite connections, too.

These are the connections available:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV connections.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1877793  

Nick

post #4829 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
More: Page 10 of your TV's manual http://www.tv-manual.com/manuals/sam...ser_manual.pdf seems to describe that when the input selector , source, is set to "AV" it will look for composite video (single yellow RCA) and "component" will look for. . . drum roll please. . .component [red, green, blue RCAs].
Yes, I was aware of that.

Nick

post #4830 of 5445 Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 PM

At least on the bright side the connection that doesn't seem to work, for reasons we don't currently know, is the one you shouldn't be using anyways.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
power supply failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page