still spending $thousands to make a $40 box work - part 2
A few updates to my experiences with the original iView 3500STB that might be of help:
1. I bought an RCA 6-device remote (RCRN06GR) for about $10 and after the typical nightmare of trying to program the thing for all my devices (particularly using learning mode with the old iView remote), it solves the horrible remote problem, and actually enhances it. I got this particular remote because it has page up/down buttons so you can look at the second page of guide program descriptions in the iView (and it more fully revealed the bug that if you page down, the next programs will also have the program description on the second page, so remember to page up). An enhancement: for whatever reason, after I first got my TV remote programmed using the automatic built-in codes in the universal remote (the only built-in codes that actually worked for any of my devices), I found that the audio volume up/down buttons, which did nothing on the iView remote, actually control the volume of my A/V receiver through the TV HDMI. So a simple, cheap, but not perfect way to integrate your entire A/V system. I had previously used the trick of putting tape over the IR receiver on the iView, which seemed to help the aiming and range problem a little, but the RCA universal remote works just like a real professional remote with quick response to button presses from all angles and distances.
2. I found out that my Toshiba TransMemory ID 3.0 flash drive did NOT handle all aspects of iView recording operations properly. Pause had some glitches, which I don't use anyway and assumed wouldn't work perfectly. But I found out the hard way that a 1080i station with no sub-channels also had glitches when recording(every other channel on every other station was fine). So I guess the write rate of the flash drive is just a LITTLE too slow for the full data rate of a DTV station.
3. To that end, I was looking to use a powered drive, and was specifically looking at a Seagate 3TB Expansion drive. So I got one, hooked it up to the iView, and found the iView would not even boot. I do believe the problem is that Seagate uses GPT in their firmware (they say as much), and the iView requires the old MBR partitioning scheme (note that this would seem limit the iView to an effective capacity of 2.2TB, no matter what the size of the drive). I hooked the drive to my Windows 10 machine and it works fine and I was actually going to buy one for that purpose in the first place, so I don't have a 100% DVR storage solution for the iView right now (I've reconfigured and repositioned my old Windows machine in the living room entertainment center to use Windows Media Center (banned by Microslop from Windows 10) for DVR duties, which it did well in the first place. But I did like the iView because it actually had a guide that you could use for recording (officially Windows Media Center currently does not, there may be a hacked workaround out there). So I'd like something other than my 1TB/2TB USB-powered Seagate drives, which work pretty well for everything, but cause the iView to run very hot/hot respectively, so I don't want to use them long-term.
4. Audio/Video disconnect that I noted in some MPEG files in the iView turned out to be the result some new video editing software I was using on my new Windows 10 machine, because I could replicate the problems on other USB media playback devices, such as my TV. So I have a slight problem in that my latest and greatest Windows 10 is not all that great in terms of OTA recording and editing videos, which is another example of how in some cases technology keeps getting worse rather than better...