iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 179 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 152Likes

post #5341 of 5393 Old 02-26-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just sent emails to Iviewus support and the Amazon seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 5393 Old 02-26-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
BTW, I noticed iView's web site has gotten even tighter on firmware downloads. You now have to enter your first & last name, an email address, and solve a reCAPTCHA (!) just to access it! I guess now they will only email your firmware to you, rather than letting you download it yourself. Even Mediasonic (HomeWorX) doesn't make you solve a reCAPTCHA.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-05-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #5343 of 5393 Old 03-09-2019, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Iview sent me newer firmware
20170928V5.0
However, the real problem was a 6-foot RG6 cable that has some intermittent fault.

I installed the new firmware and the Iview found the 69channels/subchannels I expect.
After a few hours I started getting no signal on somechannels and thought it might have a heat problem.
I swapped it with the 180STB and it also had problems
I replaced another cable and a two way splitter which didn’thelp.

When I replaced the 6-foot cable both the Iview and the 180find 69 channels and the
Iview has been working for two days with no problems.
JHBrandt and moviegod like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5344 of 5393 Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[QUOTE=jeajea;57718988]Iview sent me newer firmware
20170928V5.0

I bought the same box with same specs. I would appreciate it if you can send me a copy of the newer firmware. Thanks
post #5345 of 5393 Old 03-14-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No need - you can download it directly from iVIEW's Web site here: http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...-1603-1706.rar

Note that this firmware is only compatible with iVIEW 3500's with hardware version 78021237836650.
moviegod likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-14-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Update link again
post #5346 of 5393 Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought this would work - and it does: even though iView has only tuner, it has always let you watch one subchannel while recording another, as long as both subchannels were on the same frequency (so its one tuner can receive both subchannels). But D/FW now has a slightly unusual situation: RF 46 is carrying subchannels with different virtual channel numbers. (Some other large cities are also seeing this, usually called "channel sharing.") Specifically, RF 46 now carries 23-4, 47-1 through 47-5, and 49-2.

I've tried watching one subchannel while recording another before and it worked, but I never tried when the two subchannels have different channel numbers. So I just tested it, and it does work. I started recording 23-4, then tuned 47-1, then pressed "channel up" to tune to each of the other subchannels on RF 46, and I was able to watch all of them while 23-4 continued to record.

Trying to tune to channel 49-3 was just met with a black screen with a box in the center that reads "Record," so you won't accidentally stop your recording if you tune to the wrong channel. I just tuned back to 49-2 and started watching live TV again.
post #5347 of 5393 Old 04-05-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs down Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
No need - you can download it directly from iVIEW's Web site here: http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...I_20170928.rar

Note that this firmware is only compatible with iVIEW 3500's with hardware version 78021237836650.
Don't know for sure what happened, but every file on iView's firmware site starting with a digit less than 7 is suddenly gone! That includes all 3200STB and 3500STBII firmware files (since 3 is less than 7).

The only STB firmware files left on iView's site are a few for the original 3500STB and 3500STBII with 7816 chips but without the channel 3/4 switch. These are very old boxes.

Edit: I just learned (see posts below) that iView has moved their STB firmware to an Amazon server. Unlike iView's server, Amazon's doesn't allow browsing; you need the link to the exact firmware file you want. Luckily, @eherberg discovered a way to bypass the email address / reCAPTCHA, and from there I was able to get to iView's original STB firmware pages. These have the links you need:

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-06-2019 at 10:48 AM.
post #5348 of 5393 Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 99
When I clicked on support and then firmware, I got to a screen where I had to enter a name and email address - but then I got to the 'select a model' and then to firmware. It looks like the old 3500STBII firmware's are on that screen.

If I go through the faq section - I can get there w/o the email address. Does this direct-address get you to the firmware section?

Last edited by eherberg; 04-05-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #5349 of 5393 Old 04-06-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I had assumed the reason for entering the name and email address was so they could email you the firmware (look about 4-5 posts up in this thread), and that you could no longer download it directly. But apparently, it's just an email address collector for spamming.

Here is the 3500STBII page: https://www.iviewus.com/firmware3500STBII/ ... and here is the 3200STB page: https://www.iviewus.com/firmware3200STB/

It looks like they've moved their firmware files to an Amazon server. Unlike iView's server, the Amazon server does not allow browsing; you now have to know the name of the file you want.

It also looks like there are two new firmware versions on those pages: one from 2018 and one from 2019. The 2019 version is for boxes with serial numbers starting with 1903. That is surprising. I wasn't aware of any new iView 3500STBIIs; for the last year and a half, it seemed like their STB development had stopped in favor of Android boxes and the like. Everyone who's posted here has had the 2017 09 28 firmware version or earlier.

The description of the 2018 firmware file is "IVIEW-3500STBII Standard Analog." Did iView put an analog tuner into some of their newer 3500STBIIs? That would've made way more sense five years ago, when they started, than it does now, although I suppose there's still the occasional analog cable TV channel (and we still have one low-power analog OTA station in Dallas; it broadcasts Jewelry TV).

Edit: Well, the 2018 "Standard Analog" firmware was a false alarm. It's actually the same as the 2017 09 28 firmware! IOW they have two identical firmware files linked on their firmware pages. (In fact, IIRC I've fallen for that before.)

But the 2019 firmware is new. It seems to be compatible with my iView 3200: I'm trying it now. Time for another "quickie" review soon....

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #5350 of 5393 Old 04-06-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Firmware for iView 3200STB "1903": Quickie review

OK; first, as a reminder, here was my review/comparison of two iView firmware versions, as tested on my 3200 (slightly edited for brevity):
Spoiler!
So now I'm testing the latest firmware for the 3200, and it's very similar. First, the ID strings from System / Information:

Model: IVIEW-3200STB
SW Version: 20190318V5.0
HW Version:78021237836650

So, what's changed? Not much, I'm afraid:

Biggest difference is a 3-line "info box" that comes up in the top left corner when you change channels, exit the menus, or press "Info." The Info box shows the channel label (in green), the signal type below that (Air or Cable; might be useful if you switch your box between OTA and cable signals with an RF switch), and the virtual channel-subchannel below that. The channel label and channel/subchannel number are also in the main infobox at the bottom of the screen, so the only "new" piece of info is the signal type, which is unnecessary for the 90% of iView users who only have OTA or the 9% who only have cable. So it's purely cosmetic.

Also, they switched from using the rewind/FF/skip keys for paging to the number keys used in the 1511 version of the 3500STBII firmware. Not an improvement IMO.

The best news is, the CC bug was fixed. Pressing CC while playing back a recording now works whether or not CC's are on for live viewing.

But otherwise, the 1903 firmware seems identical to the 1603 firmware version reviewed above. Even has the same cosmetic bugs!

1. When you go to the "Time Type" setting to switch between 12 and 24 hour mode, the words "Power On/Off" get printed over the words "Time Type" when you exit, producing an unreadable garble until you switch menus and switch back.
  2. The "Standby Show Time" setting appears on the "Option" menu if you go into the "Close Caption" setting and exit. Since the 3200 has no front-panel display, the "Standby Show time" option is useless and shouldn't appear in 3200 firmware at all.
  3. The 12-hour time setting has the same bugs and quirks: noon/midnight sometimes show as 00: vs 12:, and the am/pm flag in the guide is confusing (it applies to the start time of the show but is printed after the end time).
  4. The bug with scheduling a weekly event that crosses midnight incorrectly showing a conflict with another weekly event is still there.
  5. If you pull up the EPG, it stops "listening" to the signal, so if you haven't been on the station very long, you'll only see a few shows. You have to dismiss the EPG, wait a minute or two, then bring the EPG back up again. This makes surfing channel EPG's (with the left/right arrows) impractical.

All but the last two are minor, cosmetic issues (but somehow Mediasonic/HomeWorX managed to get them all fixed). In fact, even iView managed to fix the first and last ones, in the 1511 firmware also reviewed above.

So, at this point, I was disappointed that so little has been done, but I hadn't found any major new bugs. 1903 seemed to do all basic functions, including recording and playback, just fine. And they did fix the CC bug.

Then I tried time-shifting. While viewing live, I pressed Play/Pause, and....

"Unknown error, leaving...."

I couldn't believe it! I tried again and again; same result. I even tried checking the drive for errors on my PC. Windows found and fixed a few problems, so I tried yet again. Still no luck.

So I flashed back to the 1511 firmware for the 3500STBII I normally use, and tried one last time. Worked perfectly!

I'll be sticking with 1511. I don't use CC, and the cute little "info box" isn't worth losing time-shifting.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #5351 of 5393 Old 04-06-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What about the "1903" firmware for the 3500STBII?

I tested it, too. ID strings from System / Information:

Model: IVIEW-3500STB
SW Version: 20190318V5.0
HW Version:78021237836650

Big difference: time-shifting works! (And of course there's that 1-digit change in the "Model" string; didn't even add the "II" )

The only other difference I've found is, there's a "modulation" setting on the Channel Search menu. This reflects a hardware difference between the 3200STB and 3500STBII: the 3200STB's RF output is controlled by a Ch.3/4 switch, like some of the old 7816-based 3500's, but the new 3500's have a software-controlled RF modulator. (Obviously, the modulation setting is useless if you install 3500 software on a 3200.)

But everything else is identical between the 3200 and 3500 versions of the "1903" firmware. Both versions have the same annoying EPG bug described in the previous post. I'm glad time-shifting works in the 3500 version, but I think I'll stick with 1511 for the EPG fix.

If you use closed captions, though, you'd probably prefer a slightly balky EPG to a CC button that sometimes locks up the box, so you may find the 1903 firmware a better choice than the 1511 firmware.
post #5352 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hiya fellas, It's been a while. I've been generally happy using my boxes so I haven't popped in very often. I could use a tip or two or maybe just an affirmation of what I've seen happen a few times. Every now and then I'd get a missed recording on one of my STBs. Not usually a big deal. The last time it happened it was oddly on two different STBs, 1 is a 3500STBI and the other is an 3500STBII, and different firmware. What was in common was they were both set to record something off of ABC the same night. One at 8pm and the other box at 9pm. Both did not record anything and both never turned off after the event. I've tested them both later and they appear to still be working fine. Is it possibly something in the way the channel is sending their signal, or maybe just an odd coincidence? I love the boxes in general. The worst thing I've had to contend with them is the range of the remotes signal. Anyway, any info would be appreciated!
post #5353 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
Hiya fellas, It's been a while. I've been generally happy using my boxes so I haven't popped in very often. I could use a tip or two or maybe just an affirmation of what I've seen happen a few times. Every now and then I'd get a missed recording on one of my STBs. Not usually a big deal. The last time it happened it was oddly on two different STBs, 1 is a 3500STBI and the other is an 3500STBII, and different firmware. What was in common was they were both set to record something off of ABC the same night. One at 8pm and the other box at 9pm. Both did not record anything and both never turned off after the event. I've tested them both later and they appear to still be working fine. Is it possibly something in the way the channel is sending their signal, or maybe just an odd coincidence? I love the boxes in general. The worst thing I've had to contend with them is the range of the remotes signal. Anyway, any info would be appreciated!
Yes, a well-known bug. You may get others who have solutions/work-arounds for it, but for me, I do not set timed recordings on my iView. Rather I use another DVR that is reliable (within reason) for that purpose, but I do record stuff on the iView, I just do it manually where I start and stop the recording myself. I have never been able to completely eliminate the problem using any published work-around, so I just don't bother with timed recordings. The theories about it are that different stations send different times, the iView relies on the time from the station since it doesn't have a built-in timer, and if you schedule a recording on one station and the time is different on another station, the iView gets confused and does that weird thing where it doesn't record but it never shuts off.

As usual, "what do you expect for $40" (or whatever you paid, that's what I paid). Of course, the DVR I use quite often that doesn't have the bug cost me "$0" (came with the computer), so you know...whatever...

--
max
post #5354 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Thanks, Max. It doesn't happen all that often and I do a fair amount of recordings. The only precaution I've ever taken to try and minimize the occurrence was to leave it on the same channel I wanted to record. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me, but if anyone else has any other tips, I'd love to hear 'em.
post #5355 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Thanks, Max. It doesn't happen all that often and I do a fair amount of recordings. The only precaution I've ever taken to try and minimize the occurrence was to leave it on the same channel I wanted to record. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me, but if anyone else has any other tips, I'd love to hear 'em.
You're luckier than me, I was getting a LOT of failed recordings.

You would think leaving the thing on the same channel would be the trick, and maybe it is, but what I found is that around here that's a fairly good way to NOT get a recording. You can only program an iView with a VIRTUAL channel, not a PHYSICAL channel, and we have several stations that broadcast on repeater antennas with a different physical channel for the same virtual channel. So what happens is, you set up your recording, thinking it will record on the stronger of the two channels, it winds up recording on the weaker channel, and if there are strength-related dropouts, well, there they are...

--
max
post #5356 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Off-hand, it sounds like a bug I call the "channel rescan bug." This bug appears in all iView firmware for the 3500STB, and for all firmware for the 3500STBII dated before Aug. 2016.

I can infer that both boxes were off before the events they were expected to record; otherwise you wouldn't have expected them to turn off afterwards. That means there was a period of time when they weren't "listening" to ABC, even though they'd both been tuned to ABC and so were presumably synced to ABC's broadcast time. It's likely that something insignificant changed in ABC's PSIP data while the boxes weren't "listening." When they came back on to start their recordings, the change triggered a rescan of the RF frequency, deleting the recording events in the process, so the recordings didn't get made.

A red flag would be if a daily or weekly recording event for ABC disappeared, but if all you had set up were one-time events, you'd expect them to go away anyhow.
post #5357 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Just to add on a positive outcome: I found that the fixed iView firmware (in my case the iView 1511 firmware) fixed the problem for me as described above. I actually put it on a Mediasonic box after experiencing the same problem with failed recordings and box not shutting off. It has been rock-solid in the year since. I record my wife's daily chat M-F chat shows on it for easy removal and commercial removal prior to putting on our Plex server and it has not missed a single recording in now over 500 recording events.
post #5358 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Off-hand, it sounds like a bug I call the "channel rescan bug." This bug appears in all iView firmware for the 3500STB, and for all firmware for the 3500STBII dated before Aug. 2016.

I can infer that both boxes were off before the events they were expected to record; otherwise you wouldn't have expected them to turn off afterwards. That means there was a period of time when they weren't "listening" to ABC, even though they'd both been tuned to ABC and so were presumably synced to ABC's broadcast time. It's likely that something insignificant changed in ABC's PSIP data while the boxes weren't "listening." When they came back on to start their recordings, the change triggered a rescan of the RF frequency, deleting the recording events in the process, so the recordings didn't get made.

A red flag would be if a daily or weekly recording event for ABC disappeared, but if all you had set up were one-time events, you'd expect them to go away anyhow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Just to add on a positive outcome: I found that the fixed iView firmware (in my case the iView 1511 firmware) fixed the problem for me as described above. I actually put it on a Mediasonic box after experiencing the same problem with failed recordings and box not shutting off. It has been rock-solid in the year since. I record my wife's daily chat M-F chat shows on it for easy removal and commercial removal prior to putting on our Plex server and it has not missed a single recording in now over 500 recording events.

eherberg & JHBrandt those are some very interesting observations. Yes, the boxes were off before the recording in both cases (no repeating recordings though to verify your other theory). I suppose it could be valuable to upgrade my firmware to 1511. I'm not sure what version I'm on, but I'll check. And I'm not sure if my boxes are upgradeable to that version. Let me field this one question. Both boxes have the 3/4 switch. The serial numbers begin with 1404 for the 3500 STBI and 1501 is an 3500 STBII and I believe the s/w versions are from 2014. Would anyone know if these are upgradeable?

Last edited by SD73; 04-18-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #5359 of 5393 Old 04-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Hmmm something else just happened. I had something set to record on NBC and about 10 minutes in it dropped. I manually started recording again, and 7 minutes later it dropped again. I did have 2 consecutive black outs about a week ago before I noticed this happening as often as it does. If the 1511 flashing isn't compatible, maybe just a general reflash with whatever I had on there would be worth a shot?
post #5360 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Both boxes have the 3/4 switch. The serial numbers begin with 1404 for the 3500 STBI and 1501 is an 3500 STBII and I believe the s/w versions are from 2014. Would anyone know if these are upgradeable?
I believe @JHBrandt answered this for you back in 2016 when you asked. The same holds true today when I just checked the firmware versions. Nothing new for those since 2014, it seems.
post #5361 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
I believe @JHBrandt answered this for you back in 2016 when you asked. The same holds true today when I just checked the firmware versions. Nothing new for those since 2014, it seems.
Oh well. There go my 1511 dreams. I'll reload my same firmware and hope for the best.

I did another test last night too. Both DVRs were set to record the same 1hr program. The one giving me trouble failed after about 10 minutes so fingers crossed this does it.
post #5362 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm something else just happened. I had something set to record on NBC and about 10 minutes in it dropped. I manually started recording again, and 7 minutes later it dropped again. I did have 2 consecutive black outs about a week ago before I noticed this happening as often as it does. If the 1511 flashing isn't compatible, maybe just a general reflash with whatever I had on there would be worth a shot?
You can give it a try, but drops like this are often a sign of a USB port going bad. It could be electronic, or it could be the vibration of a HDD making it disconnect intermittently.

Try turning it on and wiggling the USB cable. If you see messages pop up saying "USB device is removed" or "USB device is inserted," there's a bad connection somewhere.

If you have a bad USB connection, try a different USB cable first. But if it still disconnects when you wiggle it, you'll have to either replace the iView, or MacGyver some way to keep the USB cable firmly connected during recording and playback.

If it's an electronic problem, it won't necessarily disconnect when you wiggle the cable, but you'll probably see it disconnect randomly if you watch long enough. If that's the case, you'll probably have to replace the iView.

You may want to replace the iView anyway, just to get a box you can run the 1511-EPGFix firmware on.
post #5363 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You can give it a try, but drops like this are often a sign of a USB port going bad. It could be electronic, or it could be the vibration of a HDD making it disconnect intermittently.

Try turning it on and wiggling the USB cable. If you see messages pop up saying "USB device is removed" or "USB device is inserted," there's a bad connection somewhere.

If you have a bad USB connection, try a different USB cable first. But if it still disconnects when you wiggle it, you'll have to either replace the iView, or MacGyver some way to keep the USB cable firmly connected during recording and playback.

If it's an electronic problem, it won't necessarily disconnect when you wiggle the cable, but you'll probably see it disconnect randomly if you watch long enough. If that's the case, you'll probably have to replace the iView.

You may want to replace the iView anyway, just to get a box you can run the 1511-EPGFix firmware on.
I noticed this morning after doing my firmware upgrade and testing the problem was still persisting. Then I noted that after the hdd was on for just a short time it would turn itself off. After that I popped open the iView and reseated all the connectors I could. They all looked like they were burnt, but upon examination it looked like some sort of sticky substance from the factory that had turned brown. One connector may have been a little loose, but I may have imagined that. Anyway, after I put it back together I tested it with the hdd from my known good setup with 3 consecutive 1/2 hour recordings from 3 different channels. It went off without a hitch. I'm in the middle of reformatting my original hdd and plan to redo the same test. If that proves out I'd suspect it was something coming loose internally that caused all this havoc.

That said, I still may want to take your advice on getting something with the 1511 as a good backup. Is there a specific model or brand you'd recommend?
post #5364 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 04:39 PM

Just to put at conclusion to my little saga I'll wrap things up here. With my original cable and reformatted hdd hooked back up I was able to successfully record 3 consecutive 1/2 hour programs on 3 different channels without any hiccups. I'll go out on a limb and guess it was one of the connectors inside the iView that had come loose and not the reformatting of the disk that made the difference since I had the same results with my alternate hardware. Thanks for all the help, guys! And I'm still looking forward to hearing a good backup dvr with the 1511 on it.
post #5365 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good luck. Hopefully it was just a bad connection and it's fixed now. (One other thing you might look for is bulging electrolytic capacitors.)

If you get a new iView 3500STBII (or, if you won't miss the component video or front panel, an iView 3200STB) it will probably come with the latest 1903 firmware. I got a chance to try 1903 out, and it has some bugs; mostly minor, one potentially serious (can't initiate time-shifting). But you can "down-date" / upgrade these new boxes to the 1511 version; the hardware is compatible.

Another option, which IIRC eherberg used, is a HomeWorx HW-150. It's very much like the 3500STBII, except it doesn't have the front-panel display that (sort of) tells you what channel you're on. Keep your iView's remote control, though; if you cross-flash iView's 1511 firmware onto it, it'll think it's an iView and you'll need the iView's remote control to work it.
post #5366 of 5393 Old 04-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Good luck. Hopefully it was just a bad connection and it's fixed now. (One other thing you might look for is bulging electrolytic capacitors.)

If you get a new iView 3500STBII (or, if you won't miss the component video or front panel, an iView 3200STB) it will probably come with the latest 1903 firmware. I got a chance to try 1903 out, and it has some bugs; mostly minor, one potentially serious (can't initiate time-shifting). But you can "down-date" / upgrade these new boxes to the 1511 version; the hardware is compatible.

Another option, which IIRC eherberg used, is a HomeWorx HW-150. It's very much like the 3500STBII, except it doesn't have the front-panel display that (sort of) tells you what channel you're on. Keep your iView's remote control, though; if you cross-flash iView's 1511 firmware onto it, it'll think it's an iView and you'll need the iView's remote control to work it.
Excellent info. Thank you! BTW, I did not notice anything abnormal in the guts of it so I'm going to guess all is well, but time will tell that of course. I do want a good back up though as these cheap little guys have become indispensable in my household.
post #5367 of 5393 Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 AM

It looks like a 3200 is in my future. I got the classic USB not found message. I double checked the guts and everything looked tight and none of the electronics looked damaged. Time for the upgrade after years of faithful service. Thanks again!
post #5368 of 5393 Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Make sure it's not just a bad cable first

Oh - one other thing. There's a difference between the old and new boxes that will likely stop you from playing recordings from your old boxes on your new one. But there's an easy workaround (if you have a PC): rename the recordings and change the file extension from .mts to .m2ts. Then you can play your old recordings as "movies."
post #5369 of 5393 Old 04-22-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Make sure it's not just a bad cable first

Oh - one other thing. There's a difference between the old and new boxes that will likely stop you from playing recordings from your old boxes on your new one. But there's an easy workaround (if you have a PC): rename the recordings and change the file extension from .mts to .m2ts. Then you can play your old recordings as "movies."
Thanks for the playback tip! i do jockey my recordings around a bit so I'm sure that'll come in handy. I take it the reverse of the file naming is true if I want to move it from my new dvr to my old one?

I did rule out the cable by way of using the hdd and cable for some large data backups and transfers. It's unfortunately something to do with the USB connector on the unit. It's a shame, but a good reason to upgrade and get a little bit of a newer firmware.
post #5370 of 5393 Old 04-22-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the playback tip! i do jockey my recordings around a bit so I'm sure that'll come in handy. I take it the reverse of the file naming is true if I want to move it from my new dvr to my old one?
Well, not exactly. The last time someone asked about this, I tried that....
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomeypj View Post
I just purchased a second Iview 3500TBII for use when we visit my son's condo. I figured I would simply unplug the WD My Passport hard drive and plug it in at the other location to play the recordings. My older Iview has the channel 3-4 switch and the new one does not, so I can't simply put the same SW version on both. The old Iview has version 1 SW. I have tried other SW versions to no advantage because I am using antenna as my source, not QAM. The new Iview (no 3-4 switch) has version 5 software. Neither will play the other's mts files. I can convert them to MKV or MP4 but the purpose of buying another Iview was to make it quick and easy to take recorded files with me to play elsewhere.
If I have to return the Iview to Amazon does anyone know of a similarly priced media player that will play the mts files from my older Iview?
Quote:
You may be able to play your recordings without remuxing them on a PC. This worked for me: rename the files, changing the extensions from .mts to .m2ts. I was able to play the older box's recordings as "movies" on both boxes after doing this. Still a pain, but faster than remuxing everything.

But that didn't work for me going the other direction. Recordings made on the new box would play on the new box as "movies" if I renamed them, but still wouldn't play correctly on the old box. So renaming only helped me migrate my old recordings, not my new ones.
Interestingly, both the old 7816-based and new 7802-based iViews use .mts as the extension for recordings, but apparently there's some subtle difference that keeps them from playing back if moved to a box with the other chip.

.M2ts is actually the same format as .mts. Older camcorders that used this format needed a 3-letter extension for compatibility with older version of DOS, so they dropped the 2, leaving them with .mts. But iViews only recognize .mts files as "recordings;" other extensions are considered "movies." Apparently the code to play "movies" is a bit more forgiving, which lets this trick work, at least in one direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page