iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 183 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #5461 of 5498 Old 02-28-2020, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
JH, thanks for firmware, I'll check it out this eve. Since my problem is somewhat intermittent (more problem than not!) not sure if this will address, likely a hardware problem; but worth a shot before I go through warranty fix which will cost me half the cost of the unit just for shipping!
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5462 of 5498 Old 03-07-2020, 03:10 PM

Liked: 1
Loaded 1511...

I've been using the 1511 firmware JHBrandt provided, one nice thing was it didn't require a station rescan as 1903 firmware required. But alas, it has not resolved my intermittent operation problem. Been trying to figure out any prerequisites for proper operation, i.e having recorded to the hard drive in an earlier session prior to playback; having disconnected and reconnected hard drive; turn off and turn on unit. All to no conclusion to proper operation. Sometimes playback allows >2x fast forward and GoTo functionality but just as often (maybe more so) it doesn't! Guess I'll try a different hard drive before I send the 3500 back to iView.
post #5463 of 5498 Old 03-09-2020, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
STB3500II slow response

I have two STB3500IIs and noticed one was failing to record to flash drives and, more importantly, was slow to respond to the remote control. The flash drive was not be detected, I tried a couple of different drives and got the same response, so it was either a software or hardware problem. I reloaded the factory software with no improvement.

I opened the DVR and checked the continuity of the USB ribbon cable, one of the center conductors was not making contact. I removed the plastic shroud on the board connector to expose the bare pins and re-inserted the ribbon cable. The DVR now worked correctly.

I believe the reason for the slow response was the software was periodically trying to connect to the flash drive but failed. The connection procedure takes time (it probably tries several times each cycle) and that extends the processors overall cycle.
plplplpl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5464 of 5498 Old 03-13-2020, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've had a lot of luck with my two 3200s. Both have very reliably recorded without fail. However one of them has an odd issue where it would turn itself on intermittently. It recently got worse when I installed a battery backup for some of my equipment. Now pretty much any time I turn the unit off it will turn itself back on either immediately or within a few minutes. The problem was worse with the hdmi cable connected, but as a test I disconnect the hdmi and usb hard drive and it still turns itself back on. I've also switched antenna coaxes with a separate one I had run for my tv. I've also swapped power supplies with my other dvr and that has not helped either. And lastly, I reinstalled the 3200STB20190318 s/w I was sent by Iview when I first got these to solve an issue with my other dvr and as you can guess, that did not help either. I had a look inside and did not see any obvious burns or loose connections. Any ideas?
post #5465 of 5498 Old 03-13-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3052 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
I used to have a radio with a similar problem. Turned out to be a problem with the IR sensor - it would pick up remote control commands for other devices, and misinterpret them as "power on" commands. This might be similar. The 3200 might even be responding to random IR noise, not just other devices' remotes.

As a test, you might try blocking the IR sensor and seeing if the 3200 stays off. With my radio, it was surprisingly tough to totally block the sensor, but I did find a compromise: a piece of black vinyl electrical tape over the sensor attenuated IR signals just enough that it would only respond to its own remote and not any others.
post #5466 of 5498 Old 03-13-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I used to have a radio with a similar problem. Turned out to be a problem with the IR sensor - it would pick up remote control commands for other devices, and misinterpret them as "power on" commands. This might be similar. The 3200 might even be responding to random IR noise, not just other devices' remotes.

As a test, you might try blocking the IR sensor and seeing if the 3200 stays off. With my radio, it was surprisingly tough to totally block the sensor, but I did find a compromise: a piece of black vinyl electrical tape over the sensor attenuated IR signals just enough that it would only respond to its own remote and not any others.
As always JHBrandt, I do appreciate the suggestion and test! I've been playing with this all day since I posted it. Your test will be the next I run in the morning, but so far it's been staying off. I have literally switched everything over from my known good unit and even tightened my USB connector. None of that helped. The last thing I did though that seems to be showing some positive signs is I switched the power receptacles with my network hub. So far my hub has not gone down, and my dvr has not powered up. It's very odd as the receptacle is tight and the dvr was plugged into a battery powered port on my APC which I imagined would have given it clean power. Now it's back on a different surge suppressor from the one that was having the original problem intermittently. If this is it, it would appear that it has a very finicky power requirement.

Last edited by SD73; 03-13-2020 at 03:30 PM.
post #5467 of 5498 Old 03-13-2020, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 3200 (and 3500) are known to turn on after a power failure, so the first thing I thought of was the power supply - but that was one of the things you swapped out, so I ruled it out. But if the UPS isn't, well, uninterruptible, that would cause all sorts of problems. Not only turning on, but also incomplete recordings.

Maybe it's just a bad connection within that one power receptacle on the APC UPS. If you can confirm that and the APC is under warranty, I'd return it for a replacement. Their equipment is usually pretty good, but I guess every product has its occasional "lemon."
post #5468 of 5498 Old 03-13-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The 3200 (and 3500) are known to turn on after a power failure, so the first thing I thought of was the power supply - but that was one of the things you swapped out, so I ruled it out. But if the UPS isn't, well, uninterruptible, that would cause all sorts of problems. Not only turning on, but also incomplete recordings.

Maybe it's just a bad connection within that one power receptacle on the APC UPS. If you can confirm that and the APC is under warranty, I'd return it for a replacement. Their equipment is usually pretty good, but I guess every product has its occasional "lemon."
That powering itself on was a thought I had too after a power loss. But I dismissed it early on after the power supply swap. And really baffling was the fact it got worse with the APC. But it was the getting worse part that brought me back to the power. That connector was one of the first things I looked at when I popped open the case and it looked good and got solid continuity. Re exchanging the APC, that warranty ship has long since past. It must be over 10 years old. I had it sitting around and popped in a new battery. I think it is fine as I can check the uptime of my router and it has not gone down since I plugged it into the same port. If I really wanted to take the testing of the iview to the next level I'd plug my known good one into that same port to see if I replicate the problem, but at this point I'm still licking my wounds for the time spent on this. It still has not failed since I last mentioned it, but I will let it sit overnight.
post #5469 of 5498 Old 03-14-2020, 08:39 AM

The problem appears solved. This morning the dvr was off as I had left it. It appears the iview did not like two different power receptacles. The third receptacle I used was the charm. Other equipment I've plugged into one of the two suspect receptacles works fine.
post #5470 of 5498 Old 03-23-2020, 04:48 PM

First off, I hope everyone here is safe and healthy! So with the extra time on my hands I've been watching a few more movies than normal. One thing I've noticed on some of them the lipsync is off a tad. In testing I moved the .mp4 files to my computer and there are no issues. Back on the dvr I've tried switching between raw and pcm and the issue persists. Another thing I've noticed is movies get cut that run longer than 2 hours. Is there a remedy for either of these?
post #5471 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
First off, I hope everyone here is safe and healthy! So with the extra time on my hands I've been watching a few more movies than normal. One thing I've noticed on some of them the lipsync is off a tad. In testing I moved the .mp4 files to my computer and there are no issues. Back on the dvr I've tried switching between raw and pcm and the issue persists. Another thing I've noticed is movies get cut that run longer than 2 hours. Is there a remedy for either of these?
I often have sync problems. The only solution I could find was to do a quick rewind of a second or so and then play. Syncs up just fine after.

John
post #5472 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcinc View Post
I often have sync problems. The only solution I could find was to do a quick rewind of a second or so and then play. Syncs up just fine after.

John
That works for me with shows and movies I've recorded directly from the antenna. I haven't had any luck with that though with some of the files I've brought over from other media that weren't originally from the dvr.
post #5473 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
That works for me with shows and movies I've recorded directly from the antenna. I haven't had any luck with that though with some of the files I've brought over from other media that weren't originally from the dvr.
What display are you using?

Try switching the display input away and then back. For example, if the iView is on hdmi2, switch the display input to hdmi1 or hdmi3, and then back to hdmi2.
post #5474 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Another thing I've noticed is movies get cut that run longer than 2 hours.
That sounds like your drive is formatted as FAT32 - with a 4GB size limit on your file.
post #5475 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
That sounds like your drive is formatted as FAT32 - with a 4GB size limit on your file.
That is a reasonable thought. I double checked it, and verified it is NTFS. The file is under 2GB as well.

Editing this to clarify. That the movie I'm testing also is under 2 hours and doesn't cut off. I have not noted any files for size that get cut off past the two hour mark other than it happens in general for movies a bit more than 2 hours.

Last edited by SD73; 03-24-2020 at 12:14 PM.
post #5476 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chut Mingy View Post
What display are you using?

Try switching the display input away and then back. For example, if the iView is on hdmi2, switch the display input to hdmi1 or hdmi3, and then back to hdmi2.
Another good test! I gave that a shot and unfortunately it did not work. Then I thought maybe it was something to do with my receiver so I turned that off and ran the sound directly through my tv and it was still out of sync. One interesting thing though was the problem was not evident early in the movie. I think about 20 minutes or so in and for the rest of the movie the sync goes off.
post #5477 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another good test! I gave that a shot and unfortunately it did not work. Then I thought maybe it was something to do with my receiver so I turned that off and ran the sound directly through my tv and it was still out of sync. One interesting thing though was the problem was not evident early in the movie. I think about 20 minutes or so in and for the rest of the movie the sync goes off.
It may be a bug in either the audio or video codec for the file you're trying to watch. Those codecs are in the firmware, so no surprise....

My guess is a timing discrepancy between the two: for example one is running at 24 fps and the other at 23.976 fps (or 30 fps and 29.97 fps, or 60 fps and ... you get the idea). That's only a 0.1% difference but over a 20-minute time span it builds up to 1.2 seconds, which is quite annoying. Is it about that far off after 20 minutes?

I ran into similar issues trying to transcode "native" .mts recordings to .mp4 format to save space. As with your movies, rewinding a bit didn't help with my transcoded files. I just had to fiddle with Handbrake until I found settings such that the sync didn't drift. I think I eventually found settings that worked, but I don't remember what they were. I do remember it was quite frustrating.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-24-2020 at 05:16 PM.
post #5478 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
It may be a bug in either the audio or video codec for the file you're trying to watch. My guess is a timing discrepancy between the two: for example one is running at 24 fps and the other at 23.976 fps (or 30 fps and 29.97 fps, or 60 fps and ... you get the idea). That's only a 0.1% difference but over a 20-minute time span it builds up to 1.2 seconds, which is quite annoying. Is it about that far off after 20 minutes?

I ran into similar issues trying to transcode "native" .mts recordings to .mp4 format to save space. As with your movies, rewinding a bit didn't help with my transcoded files. I just had to fiddle with Handbrake until I found settings such that the sync didn't drift. I think I eventually found settings that worked, but I don't remember what they were. I do remember it was quite frustrating.
I've read about someone with some setting for handbrake once to alleviate these sorts of issues. I wish I kept the bookmark to share it. But in my case the file works perfectly on other platforms. Do you think that could possibly be the issue when the dvr appears to have the problem and pc's play it fine?
post #5479 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

To be clear, the file is probably fine. It's just being misinterpreted by one of the codecs in the iView's firmware. My experience was that I could transcode around it, but we really shouldn't have to....
post #5480 of 5498 Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
To be clear, the file is probably fine. It's just being misinterpreted by one of the codecs in the iView's firmware. My experience was that I could transcode around it, but we really shouldn't have to....
Ah thanks. I believe you are right. And I'll sum up the over 2 hour issue to the iview too. I was hoping for an easy fix, but neither of these are a deal breaker. The iview does a fantastic job at its primary purpose, so I can live with some of the bells and whistles not working. Thanks again!
post #5481 of 5498 Old 04-04-2020, 01:29 AM

Liked: 0
Hello,
I am a newbie to this forum, however, I have read most of the posts in the iVIEW3500STBII and the HW150STB threads.

I am not sure if I missed this somewhere in the threads or not, but there is more firmware there than just for the 3200 and 3500 STBs. I am putting this in just in case it is nowhere that I didn't see. I recently tried to follow a link to the 3500STBII firmware, and I found that it goes to a "404-not found" page. I deleted the URL past the /download/ part. Then I followed the link to the firmware at wwwdotiviewusdotcom/download/firmware/.
I am hoping that someone with knowledge can point me to the "best" choice of firmware for a 3500STB with
Serial number:1409-iVIEW3500STBII-CX1923 The "System" screen shows the following:
Model:iVIEW-3500STBI
SW Version:20140522 V1
HW Version: ATSC7816XD-02-Z00

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks to all of you that have actually shared your knowledge with the rest of us.
post #5482 of 5498 Old 04-04-2020, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like you have the version with the channel 3/4 switch on the back panel. If so, these are the firmware versions compatible with it:

1. http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...l-Flash-V1.bin
  2. http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...-Flash-V2A.bin
  3. http://www.iviewus.com/download/firm...l-Flash-V3.bin

The first one is the one already on your iView.

Iview has stated that if you are OTA all these versions are equivalent. But if your iView is being used for cable, there are differences in which channels they will find and list, so try each one to find out which works best with your cable system.

Note: firmware versions newer than these are not compatible and will likely brick your iView.

Note to other readers: the above versions are incompatible with the iView 3200STB. They are also likely incompatible with 3500STBs that don't have a channel 3/4 switch on the back panel.
plplplpl and DenBow64 like this.
post #5483 of 5498 Old 04-11-2020, 06:28 AM

I have a 3500 that is starting to act up. Sometimes it's slow to open the DVR section (could be the HD) sometimes it just restarts by itself when I try to get into the DVR. It's kind of like the 3200 that died last year. I am not holding out hope that is will last much longer. I am in Ontario Canada and can't find and iview boxes for sale. My real question is does anyone know where I might purchase a new one.

John
post #5484 of 5498 Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 AM
QAM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I have a 3500 that is starting to act up. Sometimes it's slow to open the DVR section (could be the HD) sometimes it just restarts by itself when I try to get into the DVR. It's kind of like the 3200 that died last year. I am not holding out hope that is will last much longer. I am in Ontario Canada and can't find and iview boxes for sale. My real question is does anyone know where I might purchase a new one.

John
You can try Amazon, Newegg, etc. Or just buy from iView directly

https://ishop.iviewus.com/collections/converter-boxes

I;m sure they take Canadian credit cards. Good luck.
post #5485 of 5498 Old 04-11-2020, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could also buy a HomeWorx, imported by Mediasonic, a Canadian company. Hopefully you can get one more easily.

The HomeWorx remote controls all suck, though. The 130 and 180 models come with a remote similar to the 3200 remote, but they use different codes so you can't just use an iView remote OOTB. But I've known folks to cross-flash iView firmware onto their HomeWorx, which lets them use an iView remote.

Your symptoms do sound like they're related to the drive though, so you may want to swap that out before it fails and you lose any recordings.
post #5486 of 5498 Old 04-12-2020, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the posts, I thought of ordering from the states but I wanted to see if I could find a iview here. I Purchased two from Amazon.ca in the past but the price now is $108 and $32 to ship which is a giant rip off. I do have a Homeworx 150 and because I use two units to record different programs at the same time. I need to have different remotes so I'm not controlling both of them at the same time I am sure there are work arounds like turning one off or turning the box away from the remote but a lot of the time that won't work. I like the idea of maybe flashing the Homeworx with the iview firmware but I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to doing things like that. So I guess I will see about ordering one from iview and see how long it will take them to ship it here in this new normal. I am backing up my hard drive and also looking for a new drive.

John
post #5487 of 5498 Old 04-12-2020, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
I like the idea of maybe flashing the Homeworx with the iview firmware but I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to doing things like that. So I guess I will see about ordering one from iview and see how long it will take them to ship it here in this new normal. I am backing up my hard drive and also looking for a new drive.
It's not difficult. That's what I did with my Mediasonic HW-150. In my area, I'm afflicted by the 'double-clutch' problem where something in the PSIP causes the boxes to tune the channel -- then go blank and tune them in again (like it's a new channel). This meant that all recordings scheduled on the 'old' channel were now gone. All firmware for Mediasonic (and most for iView) seemed to suffer from this bug. But there was one version of the iView firmware that wasn't affected. I flashed my HW-150, got an i-View remote .. and wallah, the Franken-iView was born.

It's worked perfectly since then. The box has only one job - record my wife's daily M-F chat shows. Since creating the Franken-iView 2 years ago, I've had probably 600+ recordings since then without a hiccup (and more importanly, no lost recordings from the 'double-clutch').
post #5488 of 5498 Old 06-08-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I just received my 4th iView 3500STBII. My first puked, boots, but quickly locks up, unresponsive to remote and buttons. My 2nd was actually a purchase for a friend, which is still working satisfactorily. My 3rd worked fine, but disappeared when I moved last month. This came through WalMart from Alliance Product Group for $35.99 delivered, sans free antenna.

Model: IVIEW-3500STBII
SW Version: 201901121V5.0
HW Version: 78021237836650
Barcode Sticker: 1911-3500STBII-DZ2847
UPC: 8 80010 00825 4
plplplpl likes this.

Genuine HD via ATSC and BUD satellite DVB.
Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
post #5489 of 5498 Old 06-21-2020, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
My iView won't play closed captions!

I can view the closed captions fine through the unit when not recording. If the captions are on and I start recording, it records just fine but it doesn't show captions while it's recording.

When I go to play back any recording, either from yesterday or 2017 for example, it shows the "CC ON" display and then freezes the picture about 3 or 4 seconds later. Holds that freeze frame then reboots the unit, going back to live TV coming in from the tuner. It used to play back with closed captions; at first they weren't very good but I did a firmware update at some point and they got much better (depending on which channel you had recorded from; some captions were better than others).

For the last year or so putting the captions on during playback will just freeze it up.

Specs:

Model from sticker:

1604-3500STBII-DZ03559

From displayed info:

SW Version: 20160923V5.0
HW Version: 78021237836650

The software version I found on their website is dated 9/08/2016 which seems to be earlier than the version I have. So where did I get this software? Would re-loading this help? What format for the flash drive? It doesn't say anywhere in the instructions.

Thanks in advance for any help-

Val
post #5490 of 5498 Old 06-21-2020, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
I can view the closed captions fine through the unit when not recording. If the captions are on and I start recording, it records just fine but it doesn't show captions while it's recording.
It's a known firmware limitation. CC's won't work when recording. That means they won't work during time-shifting or chase play, since those require recording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
When I go to play back any recording, either from yesterday or 2017 for example, it shows the "CC ON" display and then freezes the picture about 3 or 4 seconds later. Holds that freeze frame then reboots the unit, going back to live TV coming in from the tuner.
I've experienced that bug too, as have others. Below is the only advice I've found for dealing with it; hope it helps:
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetfoot View Post
Hi. Just got my 3500STBII started up. It works great except for one thing that I thought was fixed.
CC does not work during playback.
I thought it was fixed.
SW version is 20160815V5.0
Quote:
I installed the version 20160923v5.0.
It acts the same as the one that it shipped with, above.
CC causes the box to reboot.
Quote:
I think I might have figured it out.

In TV viewing mode, make sure CC is 'off'.
When viewing a recording, CC should work.

I'll keep trying it tomorrow and see if it's consistent.
Quote:
Seems to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
power supply failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page