Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4747Likes

post #3661 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Heck with only two tuners I'd have to spend all day studying the guide to decide on what shows to record. smile.gif

I had to use the TitanTV.com guide to search for priority programs to record rather than play around searching the miniscule guide display the DVR+ offered.

And how about making the remotes programmable to allow the use of more than one DVR+ on the same system so you can have 4 tuners, 8 tuners, etc.. They had this on the PalDVR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I'm hoping DVR users have for the most part advanced beyond viewing their guide on a daily basis. Sort of defeats its purpose. If you want a 12 hour advance you might try WMC or perhaps XBMC as it's programmable.

Sorry to disagree but.....
Program guide information changes on a daily basis and programming days in advance will often lead to various (often unanticipated) problems! Due to these changes (which frequently occur), it's more ideal to program your recordings on a daily basis (unfortunately, this has now been made more difficult with the sluggish guide navigation!).
Regardless..... having a 12 hour (or pre-programmable option) would be a real benefit (perhaps not to you but to most)!
BTW.....my ReplayTV units have a 12 hour advance option (not a 24 hour) and it's been very, very useful!
post #3663 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:

If you want all of these rather simplistic features why don't you acquire a DVR with them... wouldn't it be rather useful? I know I couldn't live without them. Heck with only two tuners I'd have to spend all day studying the guide to decide on what shows to record. smile.gif

Huh??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3664 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Program guide information changes on a daily basis and programming days in advance will often lead to various (often unanticipated) problems!

In my experience less than a handful of missed recordings since 2000 (fourteen years). Sorry, but the impression I get is you brought a cap gun to a pistol range and wonder why it doesn't shoot so well. If you want to hit the target get a real gun.

kwg likes this.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #3665 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Why not just give back the guide control that was in the PalDVR? Enter any number of hours you wish to move, then just push the forward or reverse arrow. If you want to jump ahead 7 days, just enter 168 and push the right arrow. To go back 3 days from where you are in the guide, enter 72 and push the left arrow.

How about also increasing the guide display size, or at least give the option to.

The PalDVR can show 3 full hours and 9 channels at once. The DVR+ will only show 5 channels at a time, and only 2-1/2+ hours. That's hell when you want to scan through the listings, mark off a couple programs to record, then scroll further down to discover other shows that you'd rather record, scroll back and forth/up and down to alter your recordings.

Totally agree!.....
I forgot about the number of hours ahead option with the DTVpal.....seems as if, in trying to advance the technology (supposedly), they overlooked good, useful and even essential features when designing this unit!
"One step forward.....two steps back"
post #3666 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:

In my experience less than a handful of missed recordings since 2000 (fourteen years). Sorry, but the impression I get is you brought a cap gun to a pistol range and wonder why it doesn't shoot so well. If you want to hit the target get a real gun.

Actually.....CM bought a cap gun to a pistol range!
post #3667 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Actually.....CM bought a cap gun to a pistol range!

Nope. You decided to purchase and keep it. Not them.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #3668 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Nope. You decided to purchase and keep it. Not them.

Huh??
Poor (or at least questionable) design and implementation is my fault??
post #3669 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Huh??

How could it not be? You were given every opportunity to see if it met your requirements. If it doesn't they aren't to blame. Rather more so you wanting a blue shirt and complaining about the red one you got instead. After deciding not to return it. Point made so that's that for me...

kwg, osu1991, mulliganman and 1 others like this.

post #3670 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:

How could it not be? You were given every opportunity to see if it met your requirements. If it doesn't they aren't to blame. Rather more so you wanting a blue shirt and complaining about the red one you got instead. After deciding not to return it. Point made so that's that for me...

Sorry......these are not simply "my requirements".....Thats ludicrous!
These are solidly proven features that have worked positively for many years with multiple devices. Had they been implemented in the DVR+ we would all be benefiting from them (even you)!
In reality (since there's a critical need for some open mindedness here).....if a unit is designed poorly and has poor ergonomics, who's to blame for this? The person that purchased it and kept it.....or the designers?
I'm not the only person that decided to keep their unit.....based on the knowledge that these improvements would be forthcoming.
The only problem appears to be that.....perhaps these "upgrades" are originating from the same source, so they've been questionable!
What many of you fail to realize is that I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong by CM!....In fact, I'm truly looking forward to it!
There are issues that need to be addressed, not simply swept under the rug.....
(AKA: Why didn't you return it?)
post #3671 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Huh??

YES! the features you are complaining about it not having, were never advertised as being features of the DVR+ In other words, stop complaining it doesn't have features it never claimed to have, just because you want them added. Leave the discussion in here for legitimate concerns.

No, the lag you complain about was not intentionally added! My remote response time Is instant, the guide is on my tv before I let go of the button.

CM has stated multiple times that they are not adding any features right now, but that FW updates are only focusing on stability and reliability.
mulliganman likes this.

Josh
post #3672 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

YES! the features you are complaining about it not having, were never advertised as being features of the DVR+ In other words, stop complaining it doesn't have features it never claimed to have, just because you want them added. Leave the discussion in here for legitimate concerns.

No, the lag you complain about was not intentionally added! My remote response time Is instant, the guide is on my tv before I let go of the button.

My concerns are "legitimate", as others have complained about then as well, so please refrain from instantly dismissing them!
The features I'm discussing didn't need to be "advertised". For example, the ability to simply delete a show immediately after watching it (as opposed to having to navigate the list and folders just to locate it)! *
Perhaps if you had previous experience with other devices that did have them (especially when they were designed by the same company), you would miss them too!
Let's put things into proper perspective (if at all possible) and try to be less defensive!
There's no harm in my (or others) having a "wish list" based upon features that we know and have liked in the past. Additionally, both myself (and others) have every right to criticize a questionable (at best) design structure. Believe it or not, they're are contributors to this forum that are smarter than the people that designed this unit!

*Edit: Please see my post #3679 below!
post #3673 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Seems to bear repeating once again. The DVR+ was designed as a mid-range DVR to meet a mid-range price point and so has a mid-range feature set . It's not a TiVo. It's not even a CM-7000. You want to start from a CM-7000 feature set? Well, the CM-7000 was a $400 DVR -- beyond the target price point of the DVR+.

This is what you get for $250.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3674 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34

Has anyone who has been having problems with the DVR+ being slow to respond and is using a WiFi adapter tried switching to a wired internet connection? Or just unplugging the WiFi adapter to see if that has something to do with the problem?

post #3675 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

Has anyone who has been having problems with the DVR+ being slow to respond and is using a WiFi adapter tried switching to a wired internet connection? Or just unplugging the WiFi adapter to see if that has something to do with the problem?

Seems highly unlikely.....since the sluggishness is primarily with guide navigation. The Internet connection is a factor only during guide updates (once a day).
post #3676 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Seems to bear repeating once again. The DVR+ was designed as a mid-range DVR to meet a mid-range price point and so has a mid-range feature set . It's not a TiVo. It's not even a CM-7000. You want to start from a CM-7000 feature set? Well, the CM-7000 was a $400 DVR -- beyond the target price point of the DVR+.

Price may not be all that relevant. The 7000 DVR would be less expensive today (as prices on these devices tends to drop).
Actually, I was comparing it to the DTVpal DVR, which cost me $200.00 (before it was even discontinued).
You may be correct (in terms of price point) but to some extent, they were trying to re-invent the wheel.
Certain features that the (Echostar) DTVpal had would have been a welcome addition to the DVR+. This would've only served to improve it's ergonomics and likability and potentially increase sales.
A win win situation that would've cost them very little (if anything) to incorporate!
.......Perhaps on the DVR+2?
post #3677 of 17797 Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's funny that this "mid-range" product has lost a lot of functionality that their low-end PalDVR had.

post #3678 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:

CM has stated multiple times that they are not adding any features right now, but that FW updates are only focusing on stability and reliability.

For the sake of accuracy.....
The "lag" (although I referred to it as "sluggishness") is specifically while navigating the guide. When I press the guide button, it's there instantly as well.
The problem is that, while searching through the schedule, it's considerably slower than it had been previously! Not only have others here complained about this but I have two friends with units that are also "upgraded".
They're both complaining about this as well!

Insofar as CM "not adding features right now", I have a surprise for you (and my other critics) in my very next post!.....
post #3679 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 AM

Read this, since it benefits everyone (at least to some extent):
Low and behold.....a "feature" was actually added with 106R!.....my thanks to CM!
Unfortunately, it seems to be a work in progress (since it still needs tweaking).
When a show has ended, instead of returning to the very first listing (which was ludicrous!), it parks on that particular show (allowing you the option of deleting it immediately)!
This is (what I consider) a real improvement (and needed to be incorporated from the outset)!
However.....if that show is contained in a folder (very common, since there's a tendency to record multiple episodes of a particular show)....it still goes back to the top of the list!!
I see no reason why it couldn't simply land on the folder that the show (you just finished watching) is contained in!
My hopes were really high.....until I realized that they only got it half right!
Hopefully, with the next FW, they'll finish the job!.....I'm cautiously optimistic?
Theducksfan2010 likes this.
post #3680 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:

It's funny that this "mid-range" product has lost a lot of functionality that their low-end PalDVR had.

Channel Master never sold a device branded the DTVPal DVR -- that was someone else's product. They sold Devices branded as CM-7000 and CM-7400, both were $400 DVRs -- that is their product history. So in terms of the Channel Master line, their higher-end $400 DVR's were not well received by a notoriously frugal OTA crowd, so they opted to move down the price/performance scale with the DVR+. The DVR+ is a lower-end model vs. the CM-7000 for a substantially lower price. The only thing that matters is whether its feature set is competitive with currently selling alternatives in its price class.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3681 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Channel Master never sold a device branded the DTVPal DVR -- that was someone else's product. They sold Devices branded as CM-7000 and CM-7400, both were $400 DVRs -- that is their product history. So in terms of the Channel Master line, their higher-end $400 DVR's were not well received by a notoriously frugal OTA crowd, so they opted to move down the price/performance scale with the DVR+. The DVR+ is a lower-end model vs. the CM-7000 for a substantially lower price. The only thing that matters is whether its feature set is competitive with currently selling alternatives in its price class.

As you should know, the CM-7000
(aka: CM-7000PAL) was actually a re-branded DTVpal DVR (at a higher price).
Perhaps there was some confusion on the part of the person that you originally quoted. Neither one of them were truly that successful. However, some of us were spoiled, as we paid low prices for the DTVpal DVR and overall, it had some better features than the DVR+. Reliability was very good as well (once they worked the bugs out if it!).
post #3682 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 AM

Liked: 15
The remote lag is Killing me. So frustrating and time wasting. Come on CM FIX IT. NOW.
mad.gif
pachinko and sooziecue like this.
post #3683 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not a "substantially lower price" when you consider the things they took away from the CM-7000.

You know what we are talking about. It's no surprise that CM couldn't sell the Dish/echostar $249 DVR at $400. Big marketing mistake. Still, it was only a $250 DVR when first released on the market, and it had a lot of better functioning features and a hard drive included.

CM/echostar wanted to model their current DVR+ after the Euro set top box, instead of building off the much more reliable and functional final version of the PalDVR/CM-7000. Too bad they went the dumbed down way instead of creating a box that truly could corner the market and become the flagship model to which all other manufacturers had to compete against. Just a few minor tweaks to the former unit, and it would be far more versatile than the current box. If they'd have done it right, they could have put out a killer box and still kept the price below the former $400 price.

But if they did want to just offer a low-end unit, they should have at least made sure it worked the way it was supposed to.

post #3684 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:

It's no surprise that CM couldn't sell the Dish/echostar $249 DVR at $400. . . . Still, it was only a $250 DVR when first released on the market, and it had a lot of better functioning features and a hard drive included.
The Pal DVR was released with an introductory price of $250 for the early adopters. They didn't bother to tell them they would be alpha testers and that it was virtually unusable. After it returned from being taken off the market to get "fixed" with the final F08 firmware it was final priced at $300 and dumped by Dish a few months afterwards. I remember people posting they had grabbed them off the shelves at Sears for $100 when they were dumping inventory. I'm really amused by all the DTV Pal nostalgia -- time has a way of shading the bad memories. Fortunately the Pal DVR thread is still here so anyone truly interested can revisit the horrors of the past.
Quote:
CM/echostar wanted to model their current DVR+ after the Euro set top box, instead of building off the much more reliable and functional final version of the PalDVR/CM-7000. Too bad they went the dumbed down way instead of creating a box that truly could corner the market and become the flagship model to which all other manufacturers had to compete against.
CM wanted a box at a price point that frugal OTA users would actually buy. They got that with the DVR+ at $250 and are already the model that other manufacturers have to compete against -- in that price-class. Mid-range features at a mid-range price-point -- leave the high-end to that other DVR.
Quote:
But if they did want to just offer a low-end unit, they should have at least made sure it worked the way it was supposed to.
Low-end would be iView. CM offered a mid-range OTA model with a feature set that competes very well with the other alternative boxes out there at the same price point. It would have been nice to not have issues with the release model, but it was in far better shape at release than many other competing boxes. My personal opinion is that a number of their problems stem from trying to incorporate PSIP data along side Rovi data in the guide -- they should have restricted it to one or the other depending on the presence or absence of an Internet connection.

- kelson h

post #3685 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillan View Post

The remote lag is Killing me. So frustrating and time wasting. Come on CM FIX IT. NOW.
mad.gif

I feel you!.....
Just curious.....the "remote lag" you're so frustrated about, is it a general problem?
In my case, there's an obvious sluggishness when navigating the guide.
For example: no matter how quickly and repetitively I'm pressing the forward navigation button, it takes it's own sweet time to advance (and at times it thinks it's a turtle)!
Are you experiencing this or this plus other "lag" issues or other issues only?
Please elaborate. Thanks!
post #3686 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:

My personal opinion is that a number of their problems stem from trying to incorporate PSIP data along side Rovi data in the guide -- they should have restricted it to one or the other depending on the presence or absence of an Internet connection.

Why not provide the option to simply choose one guide over the other?
......another feature missing from the DVR+ that was part of the package with the
DTVpal DVR/CM-7000PAL!
post #3687 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

My personal opinion is that a number of their problems stem from trying to incorporate PSIP data along side Rovi data in the guide -- they should have restricted it to one or the other depending on the presence or absence of an Internet connection.

This could be the type of issue that is causing some DVR+ user configurations to be slow to respond to commands from the remote. If the DVR+ is not responding quickly to the remote, then its CPU must be busy trying to complete some other task. Surely the DVR+ has a internal error log of some some sort. If CM were to provide users a way to forward this information through a firmware update, it could go a long way to resolving some of these problems.

artisticimaging likes this.
post #3688 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

This could be the type of issue that is causing some DVR+ user configurations to be slow to respond to commands from the remote. If the DVR+ is not responding quickly to the remote, then its CPU must be busy trying to complete some other task. Surely the DVR+ has a internal error log of some some sort. If CM were to provide users a way to forward this information through a firmware update, it could go a long way to resolving some of these problems.

I agree, but don't hold your breath. See post 3574.

post #3689 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Read this, since it benefits everyone (at least to some extent):
Low and behold.....a "feature" was actually added with 106R!.....my thanks to CM!
Unfortunately, it seems to be a work in progress (since it still needs tweaking).
When a show has ended, instead of returning to the very first listing (which was ludicrous!), it parks on that particular show (allowing you the option of deleting it immediately)!
This is (what I consider) a real improvement (and needed to be incorporated from the outset)!
However.....if that show is contained in a folder (very common, since there's a tendency to record multiple episodes of a particular show)....it still goes back to the top of the list!!
I see no reason why it couldn't simply land on the folder that the show (you just finished watching) is contained in!
My hopes were really high.....until I realized that they only got it half right!
Hopefully, with the next FW, they'll finish the job!.....I'm cautiously optimistic?

Don't hold out hope that this "New Feature" Will last. When I first upgraded to 106R, when I finished a recording, it would stay on that recording and inside the folder it came out of. Made it real easy to delete after watching, BUT that is no longer the case. Now when I finish a recording, it goes right back to the main DVR screen. I was really happy for about a week.

My actual guide data is also very responsive, and my stations make up a combination of Rovi data (hardwired into the internet) and PSIP data, as well as manually added channels that do not come in unless I turn my antenna.

Josh
post #3690 of 17797 Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Don't hold out hope that this "New Feature" Will last. When I first upgraded to 106R, when I finished a recording, it would stay on that recording and inside the folder it came out of. Made it real easy to delete after watching, BUT that is no longer the case. Now when I finish a recording, it goes right back to the main DVR screen. I was really happy for about a week.

That's weird!.....and beyond frustrating!!
BTW....when you specify the "main DVR screen", do you mean the very first show on the list?
In my case, it goes to the show on the list that I just finished watching (which makes it less of a pain to delete it). If the show is contained within a folder, it still goes back to the first recording on the list!.....making this a half-baked improvement!!
Try watching a show that's an individual recording (and not contained in a folder) and see what happens when it ends.
I've also been able to FF almost to the end and resume playback. when it ends, it will still go directly to that same show on the list (for faster deletion).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page