Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 125 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4744Likes

post #3721 of 17793 Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I took the time yesterday to do factory reset.
The guide lag seems much improved, if not completely gone.
I had no issues last night and nothing this morning.

The most significant change I see since 106, is that the internet connects immediately, and is always connected when I check.

Prior to 106, the internet will connect every once in a while, which CM admitted to me was an issue when I contacted them months ago.

At the moment, DVR+ performance is meeting expectations, but what a ride up to now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3722 of 17793 Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAhead View Post

The biggest issue I was having was the total lack (most of the time) of Closed Captioning on NBC and garbled CC on ABC. The NBC CC. would be missing for entire shows (Revolution and Grimm) or at best intermittant. On ABC, the CC would ne there but it would intermix eigh ehat looked like Russian letters, and would also lock large blocks of dialog in the upper right corner of the screen. I would have to stop the playback, snd then resume wat hing to clear the block of dialog. Very annoying, but at lest eith ABC, the CC could be made out. I had no issues with FOX, CBS, or MeTV...

Have you checked your signal strength and quality on NBC and ABC to see if that might be an issue?

post #3723 of 17793 Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

Have you checked your signal strength and quality on NBC and ABC to see if that might be an issue?

Signal strength is in the upper 90s, with signal quality pegged at 100%. I have no dropout or pixlation issues except during thunderstorms (both ABC and NBC come from the same Hi VHF [RF 12] station with ABC streamed through a t network level of 720 HD, and the NBC feed down-converted from 1080 to 720...

I am hoping that the issue is resolved after what I observed watching live ABC and NBC this weekend...

You never know where the LIMIT is until you EXCEED it... Dianne B. "Let's try that again... without the oops." (Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in "Independence Day")
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3724 of 17793 Old 05-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

After doing the factory reset, I still have some long pauses here or there but it is a far cry from the constant pauses with most button presses before. There was a day last week I thought it recorded the wrong show but it turns out a major storm in the area messed up the regularly scheduled shows because all the local channels were covering the weather.

After 106R, I would have to say that I could live with the unit as is long term. It is about what I was expecting when i bought the unit.
post #3725 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 AM

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post

Can you elaborate, please? I'm trying to understand your use case - perhaps I'll learn a new way to use this device. Admittedly I typically know what I want to record and use the guide to record it and very rarely hit the "Info" button. Or, go via Search.

I can think (offhand) of two scenarios where the "info" button comes in handy. Since there's no indication that a particular show is a repeat, looking at the description is helpful.
Another good use for the "info" button is for talk shows (both daytime and late night). I need to know who's on the show and/or the subject material prior to recording it. The "info" button is essential for these and various other situations!
It's annoying enough that the description is "hidden" behind the "info" button, as opposed to being there automatically as you search the guide (as with other DVR's)! It's even more annoying that, when you hit "info", you then have to hit it again (to dismiss the description) before hitting "record" (to program the show)!
It's far more annoying in practice than it sounds described here!
......it's just another example of poor ergonomics (which the DVR+ is famous for)!!
post #3726 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 AM

Here's another in a series of poor DVR+ ergonomics......
When you're playing back a recording and hit the "info" button, the name, time and description appear on the screen but.....where's the date of the recording?.....oops.....I guess that they forgot!!
Hello, CM......anybody home??
post #3727 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

I had no issues last night and nothing this morning.

The most significant change I see since 106, is that the internet connects immediately, and is always connected when I check.

Prior to 106, the internet will connect every once in a while, which CM admitted to me was an issue when I contacted them months ago.

At the moment, DVR+ performance is meeting expectations, but what a ride up to now.

Just curious?.....
Why does the Internet need to be connected all of the time, when it's only purpose (other than the occasional FW "upgrade") is to download guide updates once a day? It may not create problems (although it's been theorized here that it actually might) but what are the advantages?
BTW....I've done four factory reboots and although the guide navigation is better than it was after the initial "upgrade", it's still slower than it was and certainly slower than it should be!!
post #3728 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 AM

I like the internet to connect immediately so the guide will start to build after all the factory resets I've been forced to do.
Another night of 100% enjoyment watching live tv and playbacks.
post #3729 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I tried to read through all 125 pages of this thread but just couldn't make it through all of them. I see others have had the same issue.

I am having really choppy recordings, but when I watch TV it is completely fine. I am using a Seagate STBV2000100.

Has anyone came to a conclusion on how to fix this?

post #3730 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM

if I recall, choppiness began after 103 upgrade. Resolved by replacing my Costco Seagate 3GB HDD. Reformatting the hard drive might have resolved, but decided to return HDD and get a new one.
No freezing since.
post #3731 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coakley View Post

I tried to read through all 125 pages of this thread but just couldn't make it through all of them. I see others have had the same issue.

I am having really choppy recordings, but when I watch TV it is completely fine. I am using a Seagate STBV2000100.

I think if you search this forum you will find someone else who had a problem with a 2TB size Seagate drive. CM's website, under IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FEATURES says:

• Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

There are no 2TB size drives recommended, so that may be the issue.

post #3732 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:

I think if you search this forum you will find someone else who had a problem with a 2TB size Seagate drive. CM's website, under IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING FEATURES says:

• Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

Well great so the only one I got is the one that doesn't work! Thanks for the reply..

post #3733 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

So I guess the people who are not using one of the recommended hard drive or the only ones having the Video Glitches and everyone using the ones on your list or not. I know I tried reformatting the hard drive and a lot of other things and it still happens regularly.
post #3734 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Well great so the only one I got is the one that doesn't work! Thanks for the reply..

Welcome!.....
I wouldn't sweat it!.....
More than likely it's a question of availability and cost (profitability) with CM. There's no reason why a 2TB drive wouldn't work. The fact that they're not "recommending" them is likely related to the fact that they're simply not selling them! To further reinforce this.....they've both listed and sold 2TB drives previously!
Additionally, it's already been proven that it's not necessarily the drive type or size that's causing the video and/or audio glitches.
.....although in your case, it's possible that you may have a bad drive to begin with.
Can you exchange the drive?.....possibly for a Western Digital ("My Passport Ultra").
I've had better results with the WD vs. the Seagate. Don't be overly concerned about CM's "recommendations". The WD "portable" drives work equally as well and will power down automatically after 30 minutes of non-use (without needing to make any adjustments to the drive on a PC). Out of the box, the Seagate portable drives spin 24/7. Your Seagate is a "desktop" drive and I'm unsure as to whether it actually spins 24/7. I'm specifically comparing "portable" drives (USB powered).
post #3735 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

Is this what you refer to as "choppy'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU

If so, that video was done with one of the thoroughly tested and recommended drives, the STCA300010. It also appeared on several other drives tested, so I wouldn't blame the drives, I'd blame the DVR+.

If your DVR+ is still under the 30-day refund window, return it. You probably have one of their many "lemons".

post #3736 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperWA View Post

I don't think any firmware update, no matter how sophisticated, will change the physical buttons on a remote. ;-)
I think it is possible for CM to change the colored buttons. If you look at the British version it has forward and back in increments of 24 hours as well as 2-1/2 hours. They do not have the search function on the colored buttons. That being said it would be quite easy to make the change since the software is already written. I wrote CM way back when this was first delivered at the first of the year. If enough others think there is a benefit and write them it might get changed. Just a thought. wink.gif
post #3737 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Is this what you refer to as "choppy'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvLOY0BIewU

If so, that video was done with one of the thoroughly tested and recommended drives, the STCA300010. It also appeared on several other drives tested, so I wouldn't blame the drives, I'd blame the DVR+.

If your DVR+ is still under the 30-day refund window, return it. You probably have one of their many "lemons".

Good possibility!
However, I would try a new drive first, since there's the potential of you having a bad one.
Good luck!
Theducksfan2010 likes this.
post #3738 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Just curious?.....
Is it safe to assume that when you say "watch TV" that you're doing this through the DVR+?
post #3739 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 04:17 PM

Yes this is very similar, although yesterday it was also pixelated and occuring much more often, but I was recording 2 things at the same time.

But yea, when it first started it was just like the video.

post #3740 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

Just curious?.....
Is it safe to assume that when you say "watch TV" that you're doing this through the DVR+?

Yes I am also watching TV through the DVR+.

post #3741 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Yes this is very similar, although yesterday it was also pixelated and occuring much more often, but I was recording 2 things at the same time.

But yea, when it first started it was just like the video.

Welcome to the club. CM does not think that there is enough of us to fix it are they are not able to.
post #3742 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

Welcome to the club. CM does think that there is enough of us to fix it are they are not able to.

Really?.....these video/audio glitches are an inherent problem and are most definitely CM's responsibility to resolve!!
post #3743 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Yes I am also watching TV through the DVR+.

Try a new drive (perhaps a USB powered WD "portable", as I previously suggested). You always have the option of returning it.
If it's status quo with the new drive, exchange the unit (assuming it's within 30 days) or they'll exchange it anyway under warranty, so the time frame isn't critical (unless you wanted a refund vs. another unit).
post #3744 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Try a new drive (perhaps a USB powered WD "portable", as I previously suggested). You always have the option of returning it.
If it's status quo with the new drive, exchange the unit (assuming it's within 30 days) or they'll exchange it anyway under warranty, so the time frame isn't critical (unless you wanted a refund vs. another unit).

I'll give it a shot, I actually preordered this when it was back ordered back in January.. so no real way of me knowing about these issues.

Channel Master's customer support was of no help. I specifically asked him if they planned on either releasing a firmware update to handle one of the world's most popular hard drives, or at least putting some type of warning that every other size recommended hard drive would work but the 2 TB.

post #3745 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I'll give it a shot, I actually preordered this when it was back ordered back in January.. so no real way of me knowing about these issues.

Channel Master's customer support was of no help. I specifically asked him if they planned on either releasing a firmware update to handle one of the world's most popular hard drives, or at least putting some type of warning that every other size recommended hard drive would work but the 2 TB.

From Channel Master web site.

Important Information regarding features:

Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

post #3746 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

Storage capacity/recording hours is dependent on the external USB hard drive connected to the DVR+ (Most external USB hard drive will be compatible but Channel Master has thoroughly tested and recommends five different Seagate Models; 500 GB (STCD500102), 1 TB (STBU1000100), 1 TB (STBX1000101), 3 TB (STCA3000101), and 3 TB (STBV3000100).

This info. was already copied and posted (post #3731).
Channel Master had previously "recommended" a 2TB drive. Let's not lose sight if the fact that these "recommendations" are based upon availability from the manufacturer and profitability for CM, since they don't simply "recommend" them, they sell them as well!
Perhaps the 2TB Seagate drive that they normally sell is on back order currently (or perhaps it's less profitable for CM).
Regardless.....there's no reason whatsoever to suddenly rule out 2TB drives for the DVR+!
Period, end of story.
post #3747 of 17793 Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Disregard what Channel Master "recommends" (aka, has available to sell currently). Take into consideration that they're not stating that a 2TB drive isn't recommended or will be problematic.
Put this into proper perspective......
.......There's no reason for a sudden incompatibility with 2TB drives (especially considering that it's a Seagate, which is the brand that they seem to "recommend")!
....it simply makes no sense!
post #3748 of 17793 Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Disregard what Channel Master "recommends" (aka, has available to sell currently). Take into consideration that they're not stating that a 2TB drive isn't recommended or will be problematic.
Put this into proper perspective......
.......There's no reason for a sudden incompatibility with 2TB drives (especially considering that it's a Seagate, which is the brand that they seem to "recommend")!
....it simply makes no sense!

CM told me that:

"I have heard that 2TB hard drives do not work well with the DVR+ because they are 2 1TB combined and so the DVR+ tries to read it as 2 external drives."

Still no reason why they would have recommended the 2 TB in the past and since 103 they are all of a sudden not recommended.

Would be nice to see some proof that they previously recommended 2 TB in the past, and at least A BOLD CALLED OUT WARNING that the 2 TB doesn't work..

Again A. I bought this as a pre-order when there was no info about this. B. If you see they recommended a slew of seagate drives, who would possibly know that the 2 TB wouldn't work.. hence they should admit to it and make it well known that it is an issue.

post #3749 of 17793 Old 05-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:

CM told me that:

"I have heard that 2TB hard drives do not work well with the DVR+ because they are 2 1TB combined and so the DVR+ tries to read it as 2 external drives."

CM never recommended any drives other than those they chose to try to sell with the DVR+. That doesn't mean other drives are not compatible, they just wanted to boost sales of the ones they offered.

And the logic behind the 2TB excuse that you claim they told you makes absolutely no sense.

Checking the specifications on their website, both the Seagate 2TB and 3TB drives utilize 6 heads on 3 discs. So with the excuse listed above, both should be seen as 3 external drives.

Yet the 3TB drive is compatible.

post #3750 of 17793 Old 05-28-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

This info. was already copied and posted (post #3731).
Channel Master had previously "recommended" a 2TB drive. Let's not lose sight if the fact that these "recommendations" are based upon availability from the manufacturer and profitability for CM, since they don't simply "recommend" them, they sell them as well!
Perhaps the 2TB Seagate drive that they normally sell is on back order currently (or perhaps it's less profitable for CM).
Regardless.....there's no reason whatsoever to suddenly rule out 2TB drives for the DVR+!
Period, end of story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page