Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4747Likes

post #3811 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

I found this from a google for WD My Book AV:

http://www.cnet.com/videos/wd-mybook-av-tv/

Does it have software for spin down like Seagate?

I looked into that when I first got my My Book AV. I tried it with the WD Smartware software and it didn't connect. From what I could find, the My Book AV is already set for a sleep timer of 10 or 15 minutes. That said, I have no idea when connected to the DVR+ if it ever goes to sleep. Unlike my other My book (not AV), the LED on the front does not blink (signaling sleep mode)--it is lit solidly all the time. The My Book AV is so quiet, I cannot tell if it is running by noise or vibration even.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post

I looked into that when I first got my My Book AV. I tried it with the WD Smartware software and it didn't connect. From what I could find, the My Book AV is already set for a sleep timer of 10 or 15 minutes. That said, I have no idea when connected to the DVR+ if it ever goes to sleep. Unlike my other My book (not AV), the LED on the front does not blink (signaling sleep mode)--it is lit solidly all the time. The My Book AV is so quiet, I cannot tell if it is running by noise or vibration even.

If you gently put your finger on it while it is running and then again 15 minutes or so after you have stopped using it you might be able to feel a difference in the vibration.
post #3813 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post

If you gently put your finger on it while it is running and then again 15 minutes or so after you have stopped using it you might be able to feel a difference in the vibration.

Yup! It does fall asleep. I did the reverse. I felt it when I knew I had no recordings scheduled and then turned the DVR+ on. You can feel the extra vibration as it spins up. Doesn't tell me if it's 10 or 15 minutes but I'm happy that it does go to sleep.
artisticimaging likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3814 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmosh View Post

Yup! It does fall asleep. I did the reverse. I felt it when I knew I had no recordings scheduled and then turned the DVR+ on. You can feel the extra vibration as it spins up. Doesn't tell me if it's 10 or 15 minutes but I'm happy that it does go to sleep.

That was how I found out that my Seagate was spinning down after 15 minutes, which must be the default. Then thanks to MKS13 I found the software and I set it for 3 minutes. All was good till the 103 update when I started getting the Video Glitches.
post #3815 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Holy crap! So many pages... I went 10 back but I can't sift through 128 pages.... can you guys answer a few beginner questions please? REal quick...

Can I hook up any USB drive? This seems to be the most viable option for NO SUB OTA DVR out there correct? At least at the moment?

And one comment... it seems to me the original Tivo had all this stuff down pat 15 years ago... WTF? I wish everyone would just drop pay TV for a month...teach them a little humility. I'm dropping it forever. What a concept... I'll watch TV like in the old days... I bet I'll be in better shape by December...what with all the other more active stuff I'm going to be doing.
partsman_ba likes this.

Truck? What truck?
post #3816 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyE View Post

This seems to be the most viable option for NO SUB OTA DVR out there correct? At least at the moment?

Personally, I wouldn't touch it even based on its features (assuming they work). With its lack of tuners, unintelligent DVR features (such as recording repeats and overall lacking interface) I'd pass. If you watch TV at all I can't see how you could not justify a "real" DVR for a few more pennies a day.

| JVC RS2000 125" Projection - Denon 5.2.4 Audio - Shield TV PRO / 65" LG OLED TV - TiVo - Fire TV 4K |
| ODROID-N2 Ubuntu Media Server | Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #3817 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

You can most likely use a flash drive, but it would have to be 80gb or more.

I got an error message when I plugged in a 32gb flash that said the external

device must be more than 80gb.

post #3818 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Quote:

Can I hook up any USB drive?

Theoretically, yes. As long as it's designed to draw power from the USB port, it should work. You can also get a larger drive that requires an external AC adapter. The problem is many people are reporting that some drives have trouble playing recorded programs without stuttering, while other drives don't. A hard drive is a hard drive, though, so there may be some sort of firmware bug that causes the DVR+ to dislike certain drives. It's all rather messy.
Quote:

This seems to be the most viable option for NO SUB OTA DVR out there correct? At least at the moment?

I prefer the TViX 6620 while others swear by the DTVPal, but each of them has its own list of problems.
post #3819 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
My application is unusual. I posted on this thread in January or February that I was putting mine in an RV for a road trip.

I've completed the 4 month trip from Arizona to Florida, north tp Pennsylvania and west to near Seattle. It is not powered when I drive. At each of many stops I powered it up, put in a new zip code, guessed a direction for the RV roof top antenna and did a fresh channel scan. I have a CM WiFi button and an old 3G Verizon MiFi card. I recycled a on hand 500GB Western Digital Passport USB extermal HDD.

I've updated the firmware twice. It is now connected to a 42" TV in our condo.

Other than two wrong recordings using the initial firmware, I've had no issues wherever there has been reasonable signals. I'm a happy customer and would reccomend it to other RVers or stick homeowners that are not fond of cable or satellite.

Bill
osu1991, jjeff and partsman_ba like this.
post #3820 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Personally, I wouldn't touch it even based on its features (assuming they work). With its lack of tuners, unintelligent DVR features (such as recording repeats and overall lacking interface) I'd pass. If you watch TV at all I can't see how you could not justify a "real" DVR for a few more pennies a day.
While the OTA crowd is notoriously frugal, it seems the cord cutters take it up a notch and are almost evangelical about saving every possible penny as if it were a rite of passage from cable to free OTA. Accepting a mid-range feature set is part of that.

The DVR+ is a nice mid-range DVR for a frugal crowd. As to the lack of tuners, for the 4.5 yr that I had only two tuners on my TiVo HD, I never had a problem coping with scheduling issues -- it was my first recorder with more than one tuner, I knew nothing else. It was only after I acquired 4 tuners with my Roamio that I realized I could never live with just 2 tuners again. So from that standpoint, if one were a potential purchaser who was considering buying two DVR+ to get 4 tuners, I think it would be a far better investment to pay a little more and get a full-featured 4-tuner Roamio.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3821 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Depends on your definition of viable. The DVR+ is a nice mid-range DVR with a mid-range feature set for a mid-range price. In its price class, I see nothing better. There are DVR options that cost much less and will give you much less. There are DVR options that cost more and will give you much more. All depends on how big a chunk of change you are willing to put down as an initial cost. Compare your options with how much you will save in not paying your cable bill over the next 6-9 months.
Theducksfan2010 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3822 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I prefer the TViX 6620 while others swear by the DTVPal, but each of them has its own list of problems.

I see the TViX 6620 is also a bit fussy about what type of drive is connected to it. This is from a five start review on Amazon:

"Before you can use it you must buy a separate hard drive, and the drive must be SATA with no more than a 32 meg cache. 64 meg cache drives are incompatible as of this writing."

So it would seem that both DVICO and CM have tested drives for compatibility and both have specific recommendations.

post #3823 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

While the OTA crowd is notoriously frugal, it seems the cord cutters take it up a notch and are almost evangelical about saving every possible penny as if it were a rite of passage from cable to free OTA. Accepting a mid-range feature set is part of that.

The DVR+ is a nice mid-range DVR for a frugal crowd. As to the lack of tuners, for the 4.5 yr that I had only two tuners on my TiVo HD, I never had a problem coping with scheduling issues -- it was my first recorder with more than one tuner, I knew nothing else. It was only after I acquired 4 tuners with my Roamio that I realized I could never live with just 2 tuners again. So from that standpoint, if one were a potential purchaser who was considering buying two DVR+ to get 4 tuners, I think it would be a far better investment to pay a little more and get a full-featured 4-tuner Roamio.

One of the main problems for the cord cutters will be getting the signal reception that is required  to make the DVR+ an acceptable experience. Two tuners or four will make no difference if they do not receive a solid signal. Maybe that is an obvious statement to the OTA crowd, but not to a cord cutter.

post #3824 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So from that standpoint, if one were a potential purchaser who was considering buying two DVR+ to get 4 tuners, I think it would be a far better investment to pay a little more and get a full-featured 4-tuner Roamio.
And anyone thinking of getting two DVR+ units to have four tuners available on their system must remember: TWO DVR+ UNITS CAN NOT OPERATE IN THE SAME ROOM.

They don't have the addressable remote functionality that the DTVPalDVR had where you could put more than a dozen in the same room without interfering with each other.

post #3825 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post

One of the main problems for the cord cutters will be getting the signal reception that is required  to make the DVR+ an acceptable experience . . . . Maybe that is an obvious statement to the OTA crowd, but not to a cord cutter.
One would think that establishing the ability to receive OTA signals -- via connection of an antenna to the ATSC tuner of the HDTV -- would precede any actions of cutting the cord.

- kelson h

post #3826 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

And anyone thinking of getting two DVR+ units to have four tuners available on their system must remember: TWO DVR+ UNITS CAN NOT OPERATE IN THE SAME ROOM.

They don't have the addressable remote functionality that the DTVPalDVR had where you could put more than a dozen in the same room without interfering with each other.
The DVD recorder crowd solved that problem long ago for the funai machines -- pieces of cardboard wrapped in black tape that can be slid in front of the IR sensor of the 2nd unit.

I didn't say it was perfect, but it apparently does work.
Primestar31 likes this.

- kelson h

post #3827 of 17797 Old 05-31-2014, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

One of the main problems for the cord cutters will be getting the signal reception that is required  to make the DVR+ an acceptable experience. Two tuners or four will make no difference if they do not receive a solid signal. Maybe that is an obvious statement to the OTA crowd, but not to a cord cutter.

I live 70-140 miles as the crow flies from the TV broadcast towers and I have no problem getting a great/usable picture on the DVR+

Josh
post #3828 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Not exactly true! I have two DTVPALDVRS in the same room and NEVER changed my remote codes to operate them. I simply took a piece of cardboard and folded it to stand in front of the IR receiver, wrapped it in foil and simply place it to block the remote signal to whichever device I did not want to use that day or that time. It gets me off the couch and waqlking from time to time which is NOT a bad thing.

The same thing I assume can be done with the DVR+ and so there is no reason you could not put 2 or more in the same room.
post #3829 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 AM

I'm on a trip but when I get back Tuesday there should be a shinny new DVR+ waiting for me. And although I intend on reading through the 3000+ post on this board, can someone chime in with some quick and dirty advice about setup and use so I can avoid a few mistakes when I get home? Thank you!
post #3830 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike734 View Post

I'm on a trip but when I get back Tuesday there should be a shinny new DVR+ waiting for me. And although I intend on reading through the 3000+ post on this board, can someone chime in with some quick and dirty advice about setup and use so I can avoid a few mistakes when I get home? Thank you!
I've not read the 3000 posts. I've posted about a half dozen.

Mine came with a quick set up sheet. As I recall, last January I plugged the required cords in back, used a 500GB WD external HDD I'd been using for my laptop, turned it on, found the menu, set the zip code and let it do a scan.
post #3831 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I've not read the 3000 posts. I've posted about a half dozen.

Mine came with a quick set up sheet. As I recall, last January I plugged the required cords in back, used a 500GB WD external HDD I'd been using for my laptop, turned it on, found the menu, set the zip code and let it do a scan.

Well that's the plan. I'm hoping one of the multi TB drives they sell at costco will work well with DVR+.
post #3832 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:

I recommend that you read the more extensive owner's manual at Channel Master's web site. Then simply follow the directions, and explore the menus on the device before you record anything. The directions are not hard to follow, and the menu items are mostly easy to understand, though if you have specific questions, here is a place you can ask (you can also ask Channel Master support via email). And, if you have not yet purchased a hard drive, I recommend going with the 3TB drive that they recommend, but buy it from Amazon or some other such place for a better price. You may not think you need one that big, but you may be surprised about that, plus having it bigger than it needs to be does not hurt anything, it only costs you a little more up front. But if you buy one too small, you will end up spending more money in the long run, as well as having things less convenient, as it costs less for one 3 TB drive than for two drives that add up to that, and it is easier to manage one drive than two.

After using it for a few days, reread the manual, so that you will pick up some details that you may not have fully understood the first time, or have already forgotten.

Expect the occasional quirk.

Make sure you feed it a strong signal, but not too strong, as it seems to overload easier than some tuners. Probably the ideal would be feeding it a signal strength of 99 (it has a scale from 0 to 100), so that it will be strong enough, but certainly not overloading it. Also, a good antenna is better than using an amplifier (which is true generally with tuners), though you may need both, depending on where you are and the broadcasters are in your area.

Here are a few interesting sites regarding antennas that you may find useful:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/misc/dipole.html

http://www.antennaweb.org/

http://www.tvfool.com/

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/
DBM999 and Sandman905 like this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3833 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks. I've already got good reception. I'll check out the manual tonight.
post #3834 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I've already got good reception. I'll check out the manual tonight.

How are you connecting to the internet, wired or WIFI?

post #3835 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Will be wired. I have 7000 PAL but the lack of a good guide is driving me nuts. It's going in the home theater. The DVR+ is going in the living room so my wife will stop bugging me to go back to Comcast cable.
post #3836 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 PM

@MKS13

Would you consider me wired or wireless if I'm using a bridge?

Josh
post #3837 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will be wired. I have 7000 PAL but the lack of a good guide is driving me nuts. It's going in the home theater. The DVR+ is going in the living room so my wife will stop bugging me to go back to Comcast cable.

Sounds like you have everything covered, good reception and wired internet. The 3TB drive was good advice, especially if your wife will be saving shows.

post #3838 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

@MKS13

Would you consider me wired or wireless if I'm using a bridge?

what kind of bridge are you using..?

post #3839 of 17797 Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Edimax EW-7438RPn V2 300Mbps 802.11/b/g/n Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wireless Bridge, Access Point, Wall Plug design

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00794RDVY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It plugs into my office outlet, Wireless N 5ghz w/80% signal, cat 5 cable out into a 5 port hub. From the 5 port hub to the DVR+

Josh
post #3840 of 17797 Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theducksfan2010 View Post

Quote:

Edimax EW-7438RPn V2 300Mbps 802.11/b/g/n Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, Wireless Bridge, Access Point, Wall Plug design

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00794RDVY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It plugs into my office outlet, Wireless N 5ghz w/80% signal, cat 5 cable out into a 5 port hub. From the 5 port hub to the DVR+

Very nice looking unit... I did not know anything about it until I read the description, and from that I would still consider it wireless as it gets it's signal from your modem/router  via a wireless signal. But that was a pretty slick idea of connecting a 5 port hub to it.

What else do you have connected to it and does the signal strength or performance  drop off much when the other devices that are connected to the hub are active?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page