Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4210Likes

post #7021 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2800 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
The only reason to reject USB 2.0 would be if you're considering a large flash drive (128GB or more) instead of an HDD. Most flash drives write too slowly for use with an HD DVR, but USB 3.0 flash drives may write just fast enough to work.

But given current prices, there's no reason not to spend a few extra bucks and get a much bigger and more reliable HDD.

Edit: Haven't tried, but my guess is that the DVR+ would treat a 4TB drive just like a 3TB drive and use 2.2TB of it.

Edit 2: I like the 2TB Buffalo. Good price.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-09-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Universal remote

Just got my new Channel Master DVR+ all set up and working.
I cant get the Channel Master remote to operate the volume on my Sony Ct370 sound bar.
The CM remote will operate the TV volume, but not the sound bar. I never have been able to get the sound bar volume to follow the TV volume- even before getting the CM DVR, I don't think the TV has the ability to change the sound bar volume I always used the sound bar remote for the volume .
I've also tried a universal remote RCA RCRPS06SG and that remote will operate the sound bar but not the Cannel Master DVR+ (using the Channel Master code in the RCA manual "52365" and no response)
Can the Channel Master remote be set to operate the Sony sound bar or is there a recommended universal remote that will operate both?

Thanks
post #7023 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3tro74 View Post
Just got my new Channel Master DVR+ all set up and working.
I cant get the Channel Master remote to operate the volume on my Sony Ct370 sound bar.
The CM remote will operate the TV volume, but not the sound bar. I never have been able to get the sound bar volume to follow the TV volume- even before getting the CM DVR, I don't think the TV has the ability to change the sound bar volume I always used the sound bar remote for the volume .
I've also tried a universal remote RCA RCRPS06SG and that remote will operate the sound bar but not the Cannel Master DVR+ (using the Channel Master code in the RCA manual "52365" and no response)
Can the Channel Master remote be set to operate the Sony sound bar or is there a recommended universal remote that will operate both?
If it's your intention to control these devices from one remote, I would recommend a "Harmony".
The device code library is the most extensive and there's also a learning option (so that you can transfer commands from your original remotes).
There are also other, less expensive "learning" remotes available from other manufacturers. Finding a pre-programmed remote that will operate the DVR+ isn't typical.
Best to have the "learning" feature as a back-up.
Doing a search on Amazon.com would be your best option for researching various brands/models of "learning" (and "Harmony") remotes.
BTW, the "Channel Master" code pre-programmed into many universal remotes is actually an old "Pioneer" cable box code used for their (now discontinued) DTA converter.
It's useless for the DVR+.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 01-09-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7024 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmueller View Post
I just ordered a DVR+ from Amzaon today. I already have a WD 2TB USB drive (I don't recall the exact model) which I will try to repurpose. If my spare USB drive doesn't work, I was considering one of the following models, any problem with these, and if so, recommended alternatives? I found a few sites which recommend only using a USB 3.0 USB drive, but the ports on the DVR+ are only listed as USB2.0...?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Your best option would be to use the
2 TB WD drive that you already have, especially if it's not a "portable" drive (such as the Seagate model that you provided a link to). Long term reliability with "portable" drives is questionable when used for anything other than intermittent "back-up" purposes.
It seems pointless to even consider a
3 or 4 TB drive at this point, as (in all likelihood) there would be no real benefit in using anything larger than a 2 TB with the DVR+.

Last edited by OTA_jay; 01-09-2015 at 04:01 PM.
post #7025 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It would be a very useful case study if you were to let your 3TB disk fill up naturally over time with recordings that the DVR+ makes. I have some reservations about the validity of the previous test which artificially stuffed the partition with unrelated data files. When the DVR+ operates naturally, there may be a trigger somewhere along the way that causes it to partition and use the unused space.

So if you can stand the clutter, just let it fill up. And when it no longer has space to record, that would be the time to hook it to your PC and view the partition structure.
You make a good point and I'm surprised that no one here hasn't already attempted to do this!
I'm even more surprised that Channel Master appears to be avoiding this subject.
It's highly suspicious!
You'd think that if the DVR+ was truly capable of re-purposing the additional space, they would be more than anxious to have responded to inquiries regarding this (aka, "clear the air").
The simple fact that they're avoiding the subject (at least so far) leads me to believe that we're stuck with using 2 TB drives (at least for now)!
So why do they continue selling 3 TB drives.....it's confusing!
post #7026 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA_jay View Post
You make a good point and I'm surprised that no one here hasn't already attempted to do this!
I'm even more surprised that Channel Master appears to be avoiding this subject.
It's highly suspicious!
You'd think that if the DVR+ was truly capable of re-purposing the additional space, they would be more than anxious to have responded to inquiries regarding this (aka, "clear the air").
The simple fact that they're avoiding the subject (at least so far) leads me to believe that we're stuck with using 2 TB drives (at least for now)!
So why do they continue selling 3 TB drives.....it's confusing!
Yes I agree it's very confusing. This has already been stated in numerous post, so why do you insist on repeating it again?
You posted good information on the remotes and then this.. Very confusing as to why??
post #7027 of 16776 Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
Yes I agree it's very confusing. This has already been stated in numerous post, so why do you insist on repeating it again?
You posted good information on the remotes and then this.. Very confusing as to why??
I'm confused as to why you are confused??? It's very suspicious.....

Why hasn't anyone gotten a straight answer as to this post count issue? Or the name-change ruse? OJ has been ignoring or slipperting over them for some time now....

I love the digital transition. The voices in my head just say 0 and 1 now.
post #7028 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
You make a good point and I'm surprised that no one here hasn't already attempted to do this!...
New tests has no point to do here.
If file system is not corrupted, at least in that part what maintain free space calculation (and all the user's created files are has no error in allocation), the "triggering" would happen regardless if the files created by K77 or an user.
Plus, I'll bet my HDT-610R (internal 500 GB) against your DVR+, the "dynamic" extension aka creating new partition for rest 700+ GB, not telling about resizing existing biggest partition, will NEVER happen. Doesn't matter who and how often will suggest it.
pachinko likes this.
post #7029 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
If it's your intention to control these devices from one remote, I would recommend a "Harmony".
The device code library is the most extensive and there's also a learning option (so that you can transfer commands from your original remotes).
There are also other, less expensive "learning" remotes available from other manufacturers. Finding a pre-programmed remote that will operate the DVR+ isn't typical.
Best to have the "learning" feature as a back-up.
Doing a search on Amazon.com would be your best option for researching various brands/models of "learning" (and "Harmony") remotes.
BTW, the "Channel Master" code pre-programmed into many universal remotes is actually an old "Pioneer" cable box code used for their (now discontinued) DTA converter.
It's useless for the DVR+.
Thanks for the reply, I got it sorted out now.

My RCA universal remote does have the learning feature. Themanual indicates that it is meant “add certain functions not embedded in the presetcode” since NO functions were “embedded in the preset code” to I had to just learn every single button-sort of a PITA but less so that going back to the store during a blizzard.

It worked out good because I was able to learn the “volume +-“ and the “TV Input” from the Sony sound bar remote along with the CM DVR+codes all under the DVR setting on the RCA universal.

So now I can operate the DVR+ and the Sony sound bar withthe universal remote without toggling the universal between devices.

BTW the DVR+ has been working perfectly.
post #7030 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It turns out what I have is a Seagate 9ZF2A5-500, 1TB capacity. If I start out with that and decide I want more capacity, is it easy to move the data to a 2TB drive without losing it, or should I just start out with a 2TB drive?

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Polk RM1000W sub.
post #7031 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It turns out what I have is a Seagate 9ZF2A5-500, 1TB capacity. If I start out with that and decide I want more capacity, is it easy to move the data to a 2TB drive without losing it, or should I just start out with a 2TB drive?
if you are familiar with Linux and could use XFSdump|XFSrestore pipe after init/format new drive by DVR+
post #7032 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 208
After setting up a couple of antennas and combining them I get 26 OTA stations that have content we might want to watch. Details are in my Oxnard, CA - OTA thread. We're hoping that, along with our Amazon Prime subscription, will enable us to cut the cord from Dish Network.

I just ordered the DVR+ to test it for the all important WAF. Cutting the cord will require something along the lines of a Dish DVR, so I'm hoping the DVR+ will come close to that. If not, we'll probably spring for the Tivo Roamio with their $15 a month guide fee; they already have Prime in their guide setup, but I'd rather avoid the extra $15 a month. Switching inputs is a function that is incredibly complex and absolutely unacceptable, I'm told. I must be home when we watch our Roku.

If ChannelMaster does add Amazon Prime accessible from within their guide I think it will work. I should get it on Wednesday, so we'll see.
post #7033 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
if you are familiar with Linux and could use XFSdump|XFSrestore pipe after init/format new drive by DVR+
I cut my teeth on Domain/OS, so I could figure it out. But I don't want to build a dedicated unix system because it wouldn't see enough use. I'll just buy a 2TB model...this model is verified by another owner on the CM Facebook page, and I like the thin form factor.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup...ds=STDR2000100

From their FB page, posted 11/26/2014:
---
IMPORTANT NOTICE: For those of you planning to purchase a 16GB DVR+, we strongly recommend avoiding 2TB-sized hard drives, and here's why: Many 2TB hard drives available in the market today are constructed by daisy-chaining two 1TB drives together into a single enclosure. While this is not an issue for use with computers, a DVR will usually not recognize a daisy-chained hard drive. For this reason, you will notice that we sell 1TB and 3TB drives on our website as DVR+ accessories, and not 2TB drives. Not all 2TB external drives are daisy-chained, but there is no information on the packaging (or the manufacturers' website) to let you know for certain if the drive is constructed this way. If you are using a 2TB external hard drive with your DVR+, please share the brand and model number with us so we can begin to create a "safe" list of 2TB compatible drives. Thank you!
---

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Polk RM1000W sub.
post #7034 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 10:49 AM

Liked: 41
Quote:
I cut my teeth on Domain/OS, so I could figure it out. But I don't want to build a dedicated unix system because it wouldn't see enough use. I'll just buy a 2TB model...this model is verified by another owner on the CM Facebook page, and I like the thin form factor.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup...ds=STDR2000100

From their FB page, posted 11/26/2014:
---
IMPORTANT NOTICE: For those of you planning to purchase a 16GB DVR+, we strongly recommend avoiding 2TB-sized hard drives, and here's why: Many 2TB hard drives available in the market today are constructed by daisy-chaining two 1TB drives together into a single enclosure. While this is not an issue for use with computers, a DVR will usually not recognize a daisy-chained hard drive. For this reason, you will notice that we sell 1TB and 3TB drives on our website as DVR+ accessories, and not 2TB drives. Not all 2TB external drives are daisy-chained, but there is no information on the packaging (or the manufacturers' website) to let you know for certain if the drive is constructed this way. If you are using a 2TB external hard drive with your DVR+, please share the brand and model number with us so we can begin to create a "safe" list of 2TB compatible drives. Thank you!
---
I am also using that drive on one of my DVR+'s without issue.
post #7035 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Channel Master DVR+ and Vudu

I know nothing about CM's DVR+, so that's why I'm asking. Why should I buy movies from VUDU if I can't store them onto the DVR+? I read on a Channel Master site that this capability is not possible with the DVR+. Is this true? I'm now thinking twice about buying a DVR+ and switching to free TV, if I can't purchase movies, etc to record to a DVR.
post #7036 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Movies purchased on Vudu live in the cloud, much like streaming programming from Netflix. You can download them to a computer or mobile device for offline viewing.
post #7037 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post
...Minor negatives:
-Have to use a screwdriver to get the battery compartment open?
-Not sure how to get recording time bar off the screen quickly without pressing info twice. Or to bring it up when I want it. Could be user ignorance.

I do have a 1TB WD, but it is a 3.5". ... Need an enclosure. I believe I already set it for a shorter spin down. I would think 30-60 mins would be a good setting. Not sure if those were the choices.

Anyone here using an external 3.5" drive? Tips or thoughts? USB2 or USB3 enclosure, does it matter? I believe I read the 3.5" drives would be more robust. Makes sense.

I was able to pull a recording off it via Ext2Fsd. VLC didn't play it until I ran it thru Avidemux. Fairly simple. Nice to be able to archive the occasional video to the NAS or Blu-ray.
- Yes, you need a tool of some sort, like a small blade screwdriver, to release the catch on the battery compartment lid.

- I'm getting the recording time bar off the screen in the same way (pressing Info twice). If anyone has a better way, I'd be interested too.

- I'm using a WD Green 1TB in a Rosewill enclosure that NewEgg had on sale recently. Someone here has said that WD drives are set to spin down after 30 mins as a default; I've never set the spin down timing on mine and it does so by itself. The choice of enclosure -- USB2 vs USB3 -- might depend on whether you expect/plan to offload recordings to your PC. The DVR+ is USB2 so if you aren't going to offload recordings and the enclosure will strictly be for the DVR+, then you may as well stick with USB2. But offloading to a PC would go faster if you get USB3 (assuming your PC has a USB3 connector). One other possibility is an enclosure with USB2 and eSATA -- USB2 for the DVR+ and eSATA when connected to a PC. Note that the Rosewill enclosure (USB2/eSATA) came with an adapter for a desktop PC so you can get an eSATA connector at the rear of your PC if you don't already have one.

- You didn't ask, but if you are going to offload recordings, search back a few pages here to find pachinko's excellent utility to pull out the program info from the LOG files. Otherwise, you'll go crazy trying to figure out which files go with which programs.
post #7038 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for the USB tips. Especially the Roswell enclosure. I will hunt for that. Enclosures with USB and eSATA are not always easy to find.
If you do a search make sure you spell it Rosewill. A search for "Roswell enclosure" will probably get you cages for aliens ...

Try this one -- "Rosewill RX-358 V2"
dishrag2 likes this.
post #7039 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
- I'm getting the recording time bar off the screen in the same way (pressing Info twice). If anyone has a better way, I'd be interested too.
You can also clear the recording time bar by pressing Back once.

One caveat, though: the bar will also clear itself after a few seconds; if it clears itself just before you press Back to clear it manually, then the Back button will stop playback if watching a recording, or change to the previous channel if time-shifting or watching live.

If watching a recording, that's no big deal: just select "Resume Playback." But if time-shifting or watching live, changing to the previous channel will lose the buffer. You can press Back again to return to the channel you were watching, but you'll be back at the present moment and cannot back up to wherever you may have been.

Accidentally having that happen is the only time I've wished for Tivo's two-channel buffering.
post #7040 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My USB wireless was not recognized. I have another I may try.
If it doesn't work and you still want WiFi, try this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVMCNZY

Works fine with the DVR+ and costs 30% of what CM charges. Comes with a driver disk for PC use, but you don't need the driver disc with the DVR+ - just plug the adapter in.
post #7041 of 16776 Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
DVR+ Log Lister v15.1.10.0

Attached is a ZIP of the source files for version 15.1.10.0 of the ‘DVR+ Log Lister’ program. This version no longer obtains data from the DVR+’s Log files. Instead, it obtains data from the single DVR+’s 'Record_Event_Index' file, which resides in the same location on the USB HDD as the Log files. The advantage to using the REI file is it contains the actual OTA dates and times, and other data, of each recording made!

I’d like to extend a huge THANKS to P. Smith (an AVS forum member most of you probably know) for providing me with the file structure of the DVR+ “Record_Event_Index” file. His work kept me from having to figure it out on my own, and I may not have been able to do so since little in its binary data is obvious. Thanks again P. Smith!

To those planning on retaining recordings on the USB HDD as a long term archive, you may have to rethink! P. Smith pointed out that the maximum number of recordings which the DVR+ will make is 1000 (actually it’s 999), regardless of the amount of storage space on the USB HDD. Prior to this, I speculated it would be 65,535 files since the file names permit 4 hex values, but that’s wrong. As it turns out, the number of recordings is limited by the size of the DVR+’s “Record_Event_Index” file, which does not expand to support more recordings. It’s always 868,024 bytes.

I confirmed the 999 recording limit via an experiment in which I made very short recordings on the DVR+, using the record button to start and stop recordings every few seconds, until it wouldn’t make any more recordings. The percentage of storage space used, as reported by the DVR+, was only 11%. New recordings could not be scheduled, and scheduled recordings were simply skipped. Recordings that were in progress completed normally. I verified the file count in Windows, and by output from the new DVR+ Log Lister.

Don’t expect the DVR+ to notify you when the limit is reached, it does not! Nor does it warn of the approaching limitation. If you attempt to start a recording from the Guide, the guide box highlights, and within a couple of seconds the highlighting disappears, leaving one to wonder what happened!

Please note, the 999 file limit is offered only as a fact, and in no way a condemnation of the DVR+. It does not take into consideration the size of the storage device, or the densitiy of the recordings (which vary greatly). If reached, there are solutions, such as moving recordings, deleting unwanted recordings, swapping external USB drives, etc.

The New Version:

In addition to outputting accurate OTA Dates and Times, the Channel Names can also be output (both of which are optional, just change the state of their check boxes). Channel names are up to 8 characters, and trailing padding can be applied if desired. The Browse button has been updated to browse for the 'Record_Event_Index' file instead of prompting for the Log file folder. As before, the file does not have to be copied to the computer, just select it on the USB HDD.

For information on Installing this program, how to use it, etc., see the ReadMe.txt file contained in the attached ZIP file of the source files.

The compiled EXE is too large to attach (499 KB zipped). It is needed only if you do not wish to install AutoIt and compile the program yourself. It can be downloaded from my Hightail account HERE. The download name is 'DVR+ Log Lister v15.1.10.0 (compiled).zip'.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sample record_event_index (2014 & 2015 recordings).zip (12.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: zip Sample TXT and XLSX Output Files.zip (41.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: zip DVR+ Log Lister v15.1.10.1 (source files).zip (24.4 KB, 54 views)
osu1991, yo-mama, JHBrandt and 1 others like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 01-13-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: To address member comments
post #7042 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 05:26 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
To those planning on retaining recordings on the USB HDD as a long term archive, you may have to rethink! P. Smith pointed out that the maximum number of recordings which the DVR+ will make is 1000 (actually it’s 999), regardless of the amount of storage space on the USB HDD. Prior to this, I speculated it would be 65,535 files since the file names permit 4 hex values, but that’s wrong. As it turns out, the number of recordings is limited by the size of the DVR+’s “Record_Event_Index” file, which does not expand to support more recordings. It’s always 868,024 bytes.

I confirmed the 999 recording limit via an experiment in which I made very short recordings on the DVR+, using the record button to start and stop recordings every few seconds, until it wouldn’t make any more recordings. The percentage of storage space used, as reported by the DVR+, was only 11%. New recordings could not be scheduled, and scheduled recordings were simply skipped. Recordings that were in progress completed normally. I verified the file count in Windows, and by output from the new DVR+ Log Lister.

Don’t expect the DVR+ to notify you when the limit is reached, it does not! Nor does it warn of the approaching limitation. If you attempt to start a recording from the Guide, the guide box highlights, and within a couple of seconds the highlighting disappears, leaving one to wonder what happened!

In reality, wouldn't you exhaust your 2TB (max) of disk space after recording about 500 half-hour Hi-Def shows anyway?
Kelson and pachinko like this.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #7043 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
In reality, wouldn't you exhaust your 2TB (max) of disk space after recording about 500 half-hour Hi-Def shows anyway?
Anyway, the limit is set to 999 recordings.
post #7044 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Oof. That's horrendous. So after 999 recordings you're left with a brick that only tunes tv?

If you record 4 series of 22 - 25 shows a season plus one off recordings here and there, the DVR+ has a life span of about 5 years? Ouch.

TiVo with their "ridiculous charge for guide data only" seems better and better. Hell, even the $30 Chinese dvr look more promising.
post #7045 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nay, not that pessimistic.
Just delete watched events and keep your eye on screen where is the counter shown.
Aero 1 likes this.
post #7046 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
DVR+ PSIP Channel Recordings

I've had mixed success in recording future program episodes on PSIP channels in the past, and I've never been entirely clear on how the DVR+ knows when to record a program if it is relying only on PSIP schedule information. I know when I used the Program Guide, I often don't see any data for those channels until I actually select the channel and choose "Watch this Program".

So, does the DVR Schedule rely entirely on me to manually refresh the PSIP data for it to determine when there is a Pending recording? Or, if I have scheduled a future recording on a particular PSIP channel, does the DVR+ automatically refresh the PSIP data for that channel, say once a day? Most of my PSIP channels have less than 48 hours data and some have less than 12.

I have the 114R update.
post #7047 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post
I've had mixed success in recording future program episodes on PSIP channels in the past, and I've never been entirely clear on how the DVR+ knows when to record a program if it is relying only on PSIP schedule information. I know when I used the Program Guide, I often don't see any data for those channels until I actually select the channel and choose "Watch this Program".

So, does the DVR Schedule rely entirely on me to manually refresh the PSIP data for it to determine when there is a Pending recording? Or, if I have scheduled a future recording on a particular PSIP channel, does the DVR+ automatically refresh the PSIP data for that channel, say once a day? Most of my PSIP channels have less than 48 hours data and some have less than 12.

I have the 114R update.
The PSIP data refreshes automatically. If the DVR+ has a connection to the Internet, then you get the Rovi data. If not, you get the data broadcast from each station.. In most locations, the Rovi data is good for 2 weeks out. If you have only 12-48 hours of program guide, it sounds like getting data from the OTA broadcast. Two ways to tell. One, in the DVR+ program guide, on the left where the channels are listed, do the channels have a unique logo? If so, then you're most likely getting your program guide data from the Internet. Two, check the Internet connectivity status within the DVR+. Unfortunately, I don't have the step-by-step instructions, as I'm not near my DVR+.
post #7048 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
I apology! I intended to mention that the 999 file limitation was without consideration of disk capacity or file size. In reality, yes, one could easily exhaust a 2TB disk with 500 half hour HD shows, or half that on a 1TB disk.

On the other hand, anyone wishing to build a library of old shows could easily reach the limit. Lets look at a 1/2 hour 480 show, and a 1/2 hour 720 show for examples. One is 872MB and the other is 1.897GB. If I did the math correctly, here’s how that pans out:

872MB x 999 = 871GB (doesn’t fill a 1TB HDD)

1.897GB x 999 = 1.895TB (doesn’t fill a 2TB HDD)

Quote:
Could the drive be removed and a new one used? That's what I have done with some of my DVRs.

Or dump the shows to a NAS or other drive? Doesn't seem to be an insurmountable problem. I can't imaging having so many shows to scroll thru. Nor the time to watch them.
Yes, USB drives can be swapped back and forth as often as you wish (just use the correct procedures to disconnect the drive). Yes, the files can be offloaded to free up space. No, this issue is not insurmountable.
post #7049 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well it clearly depends on what you choose to record! 2.2 trillion bytes divided by 999 (rounded to 1000) recordings is an average of 2.2GB per recording. If your recordings are smaller than that (i.e., if you keep mostly SD shows) you may easily hit the 999 recordings limit well before you fill up even the biggest partition your DVR+ will create.

More to the point, if CM fixes the 2.2TB limit in a future firmware release, you may well run into the 999 recordings limit before you fill up a, say, 4TB drive.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-11-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect post
post #7050 of 16776 Old 01-11-2015, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman905 View Post

I have the 114R update.
I haven't really tried scheduling anything via PSIP since I went to 114R. I know that 108R automatically refreshed the PSIP data every few hours (I'm guessing it was every 3 hours since that's how often stations must change their PSIP data). This behavior was apparently inherited from the CM-7000Pal, the DVR+'s uncle.

It sounds like, from what you're describing, that 114R may have broken this. But it could also be a problem with tuner availability. If both tuners are in use (say, the DVR+ is on, your watching one channel, and recording a different channel), then it obviously can't scan channels to refresh PSIP data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page