Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9121 of 16648 Old 07-19-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
@pachinko Absolutely no offence And thank you for helping.

Yes that string of posts was what got me going on establishing a block before connecting DVR+.

My first mistake was assuming that putting the block on the Adapter's IP Address for its Ethernet connected to the DVR+ was safe and then saw DVR+ had created its own new IP Address.

I have been doing exactly what is shown here on my Modems site:

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...-blocking.html

I have entered 67.148.153.225 as well as a separate operation to block tr50.dishaccess.tv and they both show blocked for the DRV+ IP Address.

I have also blocked FTP Service for DVR+ IP Address.

It is fortunate that "Factory Reset" is no big deal for me yet.

@JoeKustra Great idea to test w/Yahoo.com! Will try that tomorrow

Art
JoeKustra and pachinko like this.

Last edited by pilotart; 07-19-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Post placed while typing.
pilotart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9122 of 16648 Old 07-19-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
...I have been doing exactly what is shown here on my Modems site:

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...-blocking.html

I have entered 67.148.153.225 as well as a separate operation to block tr50.dishaccess.tv and they both show blocked for the DRV+ IP Address.

I have also blocked FTP Service for DVR+ IP Address.

It is fortunate that "Factory Reset" is no big deal for me yet.

@JoeKustra Great idea to test w/Yahoo.com! Will try that tomorrow

Art
Hmm... What are the options for “Select Device” in the “Select Device, or manually enter an IP address” section? Is there an option where you don’t have to enter an address for a device? If so, try not blocking a particular device (in this case the DVR+), and just block the “website” in the “Enter the website below” section. That way, all devices trying to access that web site will be blocked, not just the DVR+, and since the DVR+ is the only device that would want to get to that web site, it doesn’t matter if other devices (like the web browser on your computer) can’t access it. Unless, of course, you have two DVR+ units, and you want one to access the site, but not the other.

I’m just guessing of course, but I seem to recall this was also an issue in those posts right after version 124R.

If all devices are banned, like @JoeKustra suggested for testing using Yahoo.com, you can use your web browser to try to get to tr50.dishaccess.tv, and if it’s blocked you’ll be informed. If it’s not blocked, that site will display “You are not supposed to be here” on the browser’s page.
pilotart likes this.
pachinko is offline  
post #9123 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Yes, first time for me and I had Adapter installed days ago and assumed that placing block there would protect what was plugged into it. I found the 'new' IP Address Created by my DVR+ quite quickly when "Checking for updates" (first thing I checked) showed 124R and immediately blocked that IP Address.

I'm a retired pilot and my computer knowledge was strictly aviation oriented. I did several years of beta testing for Boeing/Jeppesen/FlightStar programming for flight planning and the "electronic flight bag" long ago. I've watched programmers work and have nothing but respect for their work, you think just a "slight" change and it involves thousands of keystrokes and of course the knowledge of exactly where and how to place them, no errors allowed.
Art
Sorry Art, if my post sounded personally (it was I did try to avoid ), I mean by that, we should stick with foolproof solutions as main recommendation. And use fine print for alternative very dependable on digging and each time unique values.
pilotart likes this.
P Smith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9124 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
If all devices are banned, like @JoeKustra suggested for testing using Yahoo.com, you can use your web browser to try to get to tr50.dishaccess.tv, and if it’s blocked you’ll be informed. If it’s not blocked, that site will display “You are not supposed to be here” on the browser’s page.
Houston, we have a problem.

1. I get that "You are not supposed to be here" message if I try to access that site from my IE11 without it being blocked by my router. Same with Chrome.
2. No change if I add it to my blocked list.
3. I can not block a site that starts with "https:" at all.
4. I can not block yahoo.com because of #3
5. I can block www.weather.com and my screen has a full evil black and red message indicating my router has blocked the site.

It may be a bug in my router, Netgear R7500. I has several. It may still work if you block the update site since it's not being accessed by a browser. Very educational.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 07-20-2015 at 06:17 AM. Reason: update for Chrome
JoeKustra is offline  
post #9125 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
artisticimaging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DS9
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@pachinko Absolutely no offence And thank you for helping.

Yes that string of posts was what got me going on establishing a block before connecting DVR+.

My first mistake was assuming that putting the block on the Adapter's IP Address for its Ethernet connected to the DVR+ was safe and then saw DVR+ had created its own new IP Address.

I have been doing exactly what is shown here on my Modems site:

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...-blocking.html

I have entered 67.148.153.225 as well as a separate operation to block tr50.dishaccess.tv and they both show blocked for the DRV+ IP Address.

I have also blocked FTP Service for DVR+ IP Address.

It is fortunate that "Factory Reset" is no big deal for me yet.

@JoeKustra Great idea to test w/Yahoo.com! Will try that tomorrow

Art

Post 8851 fixed the issue I was having doing the block on my Century Link modem that I was having. On the same page look at my post with screen shots that I posted. My main thing was not choosing Lan connection. Hope this helps.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
artisticimaging is offline  
post #9126 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
@artisticimaging Did not see your yesterday's reply now, but noticed your post in June showing same CenturyLink Modem.
________________________
I see you have it working now, http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...-blocking.html shows it well. I had to use their 'chat' to both coasts to get modem's password working

I had never entered that router or blocked anything before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Houston, we have a problem.

<....>
3. I can not block a site that starts with "https:" at all.
<....>
It may be a bug in my router, Netgear R7500. I has several. It may still work if you block the update site since it's not being accessed by a browser. Very educational.
My CenturyLink's is the same on "https", finally got www.yahoo.com Blocked (along with yahoo.com) on All LAN Devices, yet it still opens, MSN.com was completely blocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Sorry Art, if my post sounded personally (it was I did try to avoid ), I mean by that, we should stick with foolproof solutions as main recommendation. And use fine print for alternative very dependable on digging and each time unique values.
Not personally at all, I feel bad taking space here for what is NOT a DVR+ problem (except for those of us who want control over firmware flashing) at all, but a Modem Block issue affecting more than just CenturyLink modems. That it is a 'new' task for me certainly didn't help either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Hmm... What are the options for “Select Device” in the “Select Device, or manually enter an IP address” section? Is there an option where you don’t have to enter an address for a device? If so, try not blocking a particular device (in this case the DVR+), and just block the “website” in the “Enter the website below” section. That way, all devices trying to access that web site will be blocked, not just the DVR+, and since the DVR+ is the only device that would want to get to that web site, it doesn’t matter if other devices (like the web browser on your computer) can’t access it. Unless, of course, you have two DVR+ units, and you want one to access the site, but not the other.

I’m just guessing of course, but I seem to recall this was also an issue in those posts right after version 124R.

If all devices are banned, like @JoeKustra suggested for testing using Yahoo.com, you can use your web browser to try to get to tr50.dishaccess.tv, and if it’s blocked you’ll be informed. If it’s not blocked, that site will display “You are not supposed to be here” on the browser’s page.
Yahoo.com block is in, but not effective, MSN.com blocked (All LAN Devices) on first try. tr50.dishaccess.tv was blocked after about three tries and 67.148.153.225 was most stubborn, more than ten attempts, but it is now blocked...

Could not get it to work on either of above for "All LAN..." so, individually put the block on all of the Dozen IP Addresses, now as long as DVR+ doesn't create a new one...

First screenshot shows drop-down list of IP Addresses to choose from, All LAN usually just sends you back to Log In.

Third screen shot shows what @JoeKustra described above, but notice he is working with a Netgear modem. I did finally get www.yahoo.com/ on block list, but it wasn't blocked.... (still not!)

Third screenshot shows block list after applying dozen blocks each for first tr50.dishaccess.tv and then 67.148.153.225. I then removed the blocks for DVR+ IP Address applied yesterday and entered fresh blocks, as you see at the bottom.

Fourth screenshot shows successful block of 67.148.153.225. This site had still opened to the "Your'e not supposed to be here" until after I Reloaded it. (I got that trick watching the U-Tube you posted last month.) Now any attempt to open brings up that block.

Now I'm about to do one more Factory Reset and see. BTW my 115R has not shown any "Black Screens" and has on-click CC's. I find CC's helpful for some British TV shows, but those are butt-ugly. My Sony, Samsung, Panasonic DVD and even Prism Cable allowed you to make them look much more appealing with custom fonts, shading, translucency, etc.. I just found where to select 'jump' seconds yesterday, so maybe I'll find CC tuning today
Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Select Device.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	839370   Click image for larger version

Name:	invalid foreslash.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	839378   Click image for larger version

Name:	All Blocked.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	839482   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUCCESS!!!.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	839506  
pilotart is offline  
post #9127 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
@pilotart , I think blocking updates is a genuine DVR+ issue, especially since the DVR+ provides no means to deactivate automatic update. Since the only known way to block updates is through the router, I think it’s well suited for this thread.

@JoeKustra and @pilotart :
Did you force your web browsers to “refresh” after blocking the domain? If not, I can see the web browser using its cache, instead of revealing that the site is blocked. Also, as I describe below, use the menu system on the DVR+ to attempt to check for an update. That’s a real test of the site being blocked to the DVR+, and if not blocked, just cancel the update when prompted. As I describe below, I find that only the domain name is used by the DVR+, not the IP address, so concentrate on blocking the domain name. My router will not permit https: either, and without the full address, such as https://www.yahoo.com, access to yahoo is not blocked. I’m jealous of Joe getting an evil looking black and red message! I just get a bland looking message in my browsers!


Although I currently do not have a need to block tr50.dishaccess.tv from the DVR+ (it’s running 124R), I spent some time setting up my router (D-Link DIR-615) to block domain tr50.dishaccess.tv, just to understand it a little better. On my router, the process is NOT intuitive, and requires not only specifying the domain name to block on the “Website Filter” router page, but requires creating an “Access Control Policy” on another router page! Perhaps some who are having trouble blocking tr50.dishaccess.tv need to do a similar thing on their router?

I find that blocking the IP, 67.148.153.225, instead of the Domain Name tr50.dishaccess.tv, does NOT prevent the DVR+ from verifying if it has the latest version (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download). It would find the website and report the latest update is already installed (or something like that). I suggest using the DVR+ menu as a method to verify that the DVR+ is successfully blocked, instead of waiting to see if the DVR+ prompts to perform an update, or if a web browser blocks the site (it could be blocked on one device and not another). If it’s not blocked, and an update is offered, just cancel the update, then try again to get the router set up properly.

However, blocking the Domain Name, tr50.dishaccess.tv, successfully prevented the DVR+ from finding the website, and after trying for a while the DVR+ displays the following, contradictory notice:

Latest Software Detected
Unable to download, unknown error


My tests show that the domain name is the only thing that the DVR+ uses to access the website, not the equivalent IP address. That said, I don’t see a reason why both the Domain Name and the IP address should not be specified. I’ve tested that, and the DVR+ doesn’t care if the IP is also blocked. It only cares about the domain name.

When successfully blocked, none of 3 web browsers were able to access the EchoStar site, and would simply time out after a long period, with a different message depending upon the web browser.

Firefox : The connection was reset
Chrome : This webpage is not available
IE : This page can’t be displayed

NOTE: You should force the browser to “refresh” the page, or it may incorrectly show the “You are not supposed to be here” notice, making it appear that the block is not working! The DVR+ doesn't appear to have a "refresh" issue, when using it to test if the block is working.


For anyone interested, there are a bunch of sites that will provide the IP of a domain. One is http://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php. Another is http://www.getip.com/, which even shows a map of the physical location, but you have to also enter a CAPTCHA. For tr50.dishaccess.tv, the IP is 67.148.153.225, and the ISP is EchoStar Broadcasting Corp.
artisticimaging likes this.
pachinko is offline  
post #9128 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,130
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
You could also try blocking stbfw.echodata.tv, as it resolves to the same IP address as tr50.dishaccess.tv (67.148.153.225). If you want to check your connectivity or get the IP address of a domain, you can easily do so from the command line (which you can access under Windows by typing cmd into the "Run" section of the Start Menu).

You can use the ping command to see if you can reach a domain (and to see its IP address) in the form of: ping domain.to.check, e.g.:

Code:
C:\>ping tr50.dishaccess.tv

Pinging stbfw.echodata.tv [67.148.153.225] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Reply from 67.148.153.225: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=242
Reply from 67.148.153.225: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=242
Reply from 67.148.153.225: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=242

Ping statistics for 67.148.153.225:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 112ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 125ms
Note that some domains are configured to not respond to pings, in which case you may get no response (but you'll still get the IP address).

If you want to find the domain name of an IP address, the nslookup command will get the job done:

Code:
C:\>nslookup 67.148.153.225
Address:  192.168.2.1

Name:    stbfw.echodata.tv
Address:  67.148.153.225
It seems that the tr50.dishaccess.tv domain isn't the preferred name for that address. Maybe folks should try blocking stbfw.echodata.tv instead. It would be a good idea to block the actual domain name that the DVR+ requests and not just a domain name that happens to resolve to the same IP address, as that might not work.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #9129 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Member
 
blakepro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
My wife just sent me a text to tell me that the DVR+ is reporting that the HDD is corrupted and that it won't let her do anything. I told her to press and hold the power button to see if it fixes the problem, but I've got radio silence from her on the matter for the time being.

I haven't had a chance to get home and look at it yet, but has anyone had any experience with a similar error or problem on their DVR+?

I have the CM recommended 1TB drive, 16GB version on the latest firmware. I have had no problems before now and I have never disconnected the drive since the initial setup.
blakepro is offline  
post #9130 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,707
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I’m jealous of Joe getting an evil looking black and red message! I just get a bland looking message in my browsers!
No big deal. It's not just yahoo.com, and I could block msn.com also. I also noticed that site blocking causes my router's log to fill up with a ton of stuff, but it is also interesting what sites are accessed by a site. No wonder there is so much internet activity for a simple task.
JoeKustra is offline  
post #9131 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You could also try blocking stbfw.echodata.tv, as it resolves to the same IP address as tr50.dishaccess.tv (67.148.153.225).
Thanks for the scoop on nslookup!

I just blocked http://stbfw.echodata.tv/ (and removed all other blocks), and while that domain is blocked to web browsers, the DVR+ is not blocked from finding alias tr50.dishaccess.tv. I am no router expert, but it appears that routers (at least mine) do not resolve Aliases, IPs and Domain Names from the address entered, and just block precisely what's entered. Seems odd, but that's what mine does! There does not appear to be any harm in blocking more than tr50.dishaccess.tv, but my tests, via the DVR+ itself, shows only tr50.dishaccess.tv blocks the DVR+ update mechanism, so get tr50.dishaccess.tv working before bothering with the others.

Note: When I first blocked http://stbfw.echodata.tv/, the router failed to block it. Eventually I discovered a space character as the last character. After removing the space, the site was blocked. If you're having trouble, be sure to check for leading and trailing non-visible characters.
pachinko is offline  
post #9132 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,130
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Also be aware that the block may not work if the DVR+ fetches its updates using another protocol that isn't HTTP. Blocking http://tr50.dishaccess.tv is likely only going to block access to the site on ports 80 and 8080, because those are the common ports for HTTP connections. If the DVR+ were to use FTP for its updates (which would normally use port 21), then the block might not work. (Note that the DVR+ probably doesn't use FTP, but there's no guarantee it uses HTTP, either.)
JoeKustra likes this.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #9133 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You could also try blocking stbfw.echodata.tv, as it resolves to the same IP address as tr50.dishaccess.tv (67.148.153.225). <...snip...>
It seems that the tr50.dishaccess.tv domain isn't the preferred name for that address. Maybe folks should try blocking stbfw.echodata.tv instead. It would be a good idea to block the actual domain name that the DVR+ requests and not just a domain name that happens to resolve to the same IP address, as that might not work.
Thank you for that idea. I logged into modem and was able to block stbfw.echodata.tv for "All LAN Devices" and an immediate check brought up that CenturyLink ACCESS DENIED!! site.

I had also checked with my Windows-8 Desktop and saw the Block on 67.148.153.225 and have not gotten a DVR+ Nag Screen yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
@pilotart , I think blocking updates is a genuine DVR+ issue, especially since the DVR+ provides no means to deactivate automatic update. Since the only known way to block updates is through the router, I think it’s well suited for this thread.
Absolutely!!! Firmware Flashes are too serious a matter to have done automatically for me. For twenty years I always performed my PC Flashes by Floppy Disk method alone, of course it was a USB Floppy more recently and now the file sizes would require Thumb Drive.

Mainly for safety, too many extra operations involved in that 'user-friendly' "Windows Flash". Also loading the file on disk gave you opportunity to add a little code and "Force-Flash" when you had a good reason (like going backwards or into a different model for more capability).

But then there is no doubt about it, that Simple or Automatic Updating is a Far Better Idea for MOST Users

Any Flash 'gone bad' called for a Mother Board replacement due to a surface mounted critical chip for firmware. DVR+ is not kidding about "Never Turn Off or Lose Power during a firmware ("software") update" (automatic or not). Another very good reason to power them through your UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
@JoeKustra and @pilotart :
Did you force your web browsers to “refresh” after blocking the domain? If not, I can see the web browser using its cache, instead of revealing that the site is blocked.
No, but www.Yahoo.com opens with current news, so it's not cache and still not blocked. Probably some 'sweethart deal' w/CenturyLink, but MSN.com blocked a lot easier than the DVR+ sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Also, as I describe below, use the menu system on the DVR+ to attempt to check for an update. That’s a real test of the site being blocked to the DVR+, and if not blocked, just cancel the update when prompted. As I describe below, I find that only the domain name is used by the DVR+, not the IP address, so concentrate on blocking the domain name. My router will not permit https: either, and without the full address, such as https://www.yahoo.com, access to yahoo is not blocked. I’m jealous of Joe getting an evil looking black and red message! I just get a bland looking message in my browsers!
Remember that having that https:// and other tags blocked the blocking for me as well as @JoeKustra on his Netgear Router.

Others reported not being able to block specific websites at all across their network, just having to depend on filters to enable and protect their loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Although I currently do not have a need to block tr50.dishaccess.tv from the DVR+ (it’s running 124R), I spent some time setting up my router (D-Link DIR-615) to block domain tr50.dishaccess.tv, just to understand it a little better. On my router, the process is NOT intuitive, and requires not only specifying the domain name to block on the “Website Filter” router page, but requires creating an “Access Control Policy” on another router page! Perhaps some who are having trouble blocking tr50.dishaccess.tv need to do a similar thing on their router?

I find that blocking the IP, 67.148.153.225, instead of the Domain Name tr50.dishaccess.tv, does NOT prevent the DVR+ from verifying if it has the latest version (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download). It would find the website and report the latest update is already installed (or something like that). I suggest using the DVR+ menu as a method to verify that the DVR+ is successfully blocked, instead of waiting to see if the DVR+ prompts to perform an update, or if a web browser blocks the site (it could be blocked on one device and not another). If it’s not blocked, and an update is offered, just cancel the update, then try again to get the router set up properly.

However, blocking the Domain Name, tr50.dishaccess.tv, successfully prevented the DVR+ from finding the website, and after trying for a while the DVR+ displays the following, contradictory notice:

Latest Software Detected
Unable to download, unknown error


My tests show that the domain name is the only thing that the DVR+ uses to access the website, not the equivalent IP address. That said, I don’t see a reason why both the Domain Name and the IP address should not be specified. I’ve tested that, and the DVR+ doesn’t care if the IP is also blocked. It only cares about the domain name.

When successfully blocked, none of 3 web browsers were able to access the EchoStar site, and would simply time out after a long period, with a different message depending upon the web browser.

Firefox : The connection was reset
Chrome : This webpage is not available
IE : This page can’t be displayed

NOTE: You should force the browser to “refresh” the page, or it may incorrectly show the “You are not supposed to be here” notice, making it appear that the block is not working! The DVR+ doesn't appear to have a "refresh" issue, when using it to test if the block is working.


For anyone interested, there are a bunch of sites that will provide the IP of a domain. One is http://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php. Another is http://www.getip.com/, which even shows a map of the physical location, but you have to also enter a CAPTCHA. For tr50.dishaccess.tv, the IP is 67.148.153.225, and the ISP is EchoStar Broadcasting Corp.
If that Nag Screen returns, I'm done with fighting it. Expect that "Allowing" update would just run into my blocks, wonder if the Nag Screen would give it up in that case.

I'm not against updating at all, I just want to control when.

My 'secret' firmware version 115R may have dealt with some of those issues mentioned for 114R but not wanted to be 'released' due to their 'soon' expected release of 123R and I saw it was just a matter of days that 124R replaced it. It looks like some of the reason for 124R has to do with that "Optional" Remote they just started shipping.

I have not even considered looking at all those extra internet channels they added (w/124R). The only 'streaming' I've done so far besides You-Tube & Vimeo is Amazon Prime. My TV has an excellent app for Prime, including some 'free' 4K, more than I can keep up with. (The YouTube and Vimeo apps are great too, havn't looked at DVR+ apps yet.)

It also has Pandora, but the Pandora app on my BT (through AVR) looks and sounds better. My only subscription beyond flat $45 for iPhone is $9 XM Radio. Feeling guilty about it locked inside the Garage most of the time, so I've just installed it into my great sound system, so I'll never bump into Pandora's free 30 hour limit.

Channel Master DVR+ is into TV's HDMI-3 and sound is through ARC into the AVR. Haven't looked into Optical for it and the Sound has been amazing, far better than I expected including Surround using DTS. Guess you would need the Optical for Dolby.

Pausing a Channel with 2.5 hr news and 1.5 hours of Commercials and the two hour buffer is nearly full. Thats even better thab Prism's $8.95 DVR would do.
Art
pilotart is offline  
post #9134 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
My wife just sent me a text to tell me that the DVR+ is reporting that the HDD is corrupted and that it won't let her do anything. I told her to press and hold the power button to see if it fixes the problem, but I've got radio silence from her on the matter for the time being.

I haven't had a chance to get home and look at it yet, but has anyone had any experience with a similar error or problem on their DVR+?

I have the CM recommended 1TB drive, 16GB version on the latest firmware. I have had no problems before now and I have never disconnected the drive since the initial setup.
Hopefully the radio silence is a good sign!

Might be a false report! Could be related to the issue that appeared in version 124R where the DVR+ suddenly became sensitive to the time it takes for the EHD to spin up out of Stand-by? Also, check the data cable is making good contact at both connectors. I'd use the menu system to properly disconnect the EHD, then unplug and replug the connectors on both ends.
pachinko is offline  
post #9135 of 16648 Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Member
 
blakepro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Hopefully the radio silence is a good sign!

Might be a false report! Could be related to the issue that appeared in version 124R where the DVR+ suddenly became sensitive to the time it takes for the EHD to spin up out of Stand-by? Also, check the data cable is making good contact at both connectors. I'd use the menu system to properly disconnect the EHD, then unplug and replug the connectors on both ends.
I guess so! I got home to check it out and it seems to be fine. *shrug* I have no idea what happened. It appears to have resolved itself. Recordings appear to be intact as well. Its always hard to diagnose when you cant see the problem first hand.

Here's to hoping it was just a one time problem and not a sign of things to come.
pachinko likes this.
blakepro is offline  
post #9136 of 16648 Old 07-21-2015, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
...
It seems that the tr50.dishaccess.tv domain isn't the preferred name for that address. Maybe folks should try blocking stbfw.echodata.tv instead. It would be a good idea to block the actual domain name that the DVR+ requests and not just a domain name that happens to resolve to the same IP address, as that might not work.
I can assure you - from first hands - tr50.dishaccess.tv FQDN is the string existing in FW of K77 aka DVR+.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
P Smith is offline  
post #9137 of 16648 Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Member
 
kent2174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Fullerton, California
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
the HDD error message has occurred on both my internal 1tb drive and my external 1tb drive DVR+s once since upgrade.
You have the tendency to overreact and do too much.
I remember reading here just unplug, wait, then plug back in, then all fine.
I thought maybe this was related to the memory leak, and certainly related to 124 firmware, since we never saw it prior.
kent2174 is offline  
post #9138 of 16648 Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I find that blocking the IP, 67.148.153.225, instead of the Domain Name tr50.dishaccess.tv, does NOT prevent the DVR+ from verifying if it has the latest version (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download). It would find the website and report the latest update is already installed (or something like that).

...

However, blocking the Domain Name, tr50.dishaccess.tv, successfully prevented the DVR+ from finding the website, and after trying for a while the DVR+ displays the following, contradictory notice:

Latest Software Detected
Unable to download, unknown error
is the fact that "latest detected" shows meaningful? apologies if I'm misunderstanding but you seem to say at the top of the quoted that blocking the IP still allows the dvr+ to verify one's firmware rev yet near the bottom where you say it's blocked it still shows "latest detected".

I have a MI424WR/fios router, dvr+ with 124r and at the router I added a firewall rule to drop requests to the e* IP. using the dvr+ update menu it takes about a minute or two to return with "latest detected/unable to download, timed out".

if I replace the IP drop with a block for tr50.dishaccess.tv and use the dvr+ menu it returns instantly with "latest detected..." and a connection failure.

if I remove both I get "latest detected/web site says swid matches" or something like that.

so at least for me the "latest..." shows no matter what, as if that text is selected by the dvr+ software for display in that dialog (for some reason) and not so much that it's actually able to verify my firmware version with something outside?

or maybe what I missed in your recent posts on this was that the nag screen will show when blocking just the IP but it won't show if blocking via hostname?
ej_eddie is offline  
post #9139 of 16648 Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
is the fact that "latest detected" shows meaningful? apologies if I'm misunderstanding but you seem to say at the top of the quoted that blocking the IP still allows the dvr+ to verify one's firmware rev yet near the bottom where you say it's blocked it still shows "latest detected".

I have a MI424WR/fios router, dvr+ with 124r and at the router I added a firewall rule to drop requests to the e* IP. using the dvr+ update menu it takes about a minute or two to return with "latest detected/unable to download, timed out".
...
Sorry for the confusion! I’m saying that the message from the DVR+ is “contradictory”, and should say something like “Latest Version Unknown”, “Unable to download, unknown error”. That is, unless the DVR+ uses one address to verify the version, and another to download the update. I doubt that! I think the message is a bit of sloppy programming.

If you’re getting the “Unable to download, unknown error” message when you only block the IP (67.148.153.225), then your router is definitely working differently than mine. Mine will not block the DVR+ if I use the IP (67.148.153.225), or if I use the Domain Name (http://stbfw.echodata.tv/). Mine only blocks the DVR+ if the Alias (tr50.dishaccess.tv) is used.

Since my router isn’t resolving the Alias (blocking all equivalent addressing methods), and the DVR+ doesn’t say “Unable to download, unknown error” when I block anything other than tr50.dishaccess.tv, I’m saying that tr50.dishaccess.tv is the most important address to block, at least as of version 124R.

Does this clear up the confusion?
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 07-22-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Highlighted a couple of words
pachinko is offline  
post #9140 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Does this clear up the confusion?
yes it does, thanks pachinko!
pachinko likes this.
ej_eddie is offline  
post #9141 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Sorry for the confusion!
<...snip...>
Does this clear up the confusion?
Thanks to your patient help, understanding and encouragement, I have no confusion at all.

I now have a block for both tr50.dishaccess.tv and 67.148.153.225 installed for DVR+'s IP Address along with every other IP Address on my network. After all, why would my Tablet or my Printer, iPhone, TV, Tuner Amp, Desktop Win-8 or Laptop ever want to visit a site that says "your not supposed to be here".

I was (the next morning) able to simply block stbfw.echodata.tv/ from Any Device on my Network. Couldn't get this accepted by the Router the day before, but it is easier and more secure; as if a new IP Address were to appear, it would also be immediately blocked from accessing that URL.

It's been more than two days since I've seen a Pop-Up advising to install 124R so it looks like my 'problem' is Solved and I thank everyone who helped me

I'm still on that nice 'mystery' Firmware 115R, which seems to have fixed the 'bugs' in 114R without adding the new "Features" of 124R. And I Like it Like That, for now. I do have a copy of 124R downloaded last week, if I ever have reason to install it. I also have the 114R, but 115R is not available for download.

Samsung has all the bugs flashed out of the 8550 and now they want you to update to the latest firmware that plays an ad for you when you turn on your TV. I have the Auto Update option Off and I blocked the TV's IP Address from receiving FTP. Others have reported seeing new Nagware (during a DVR play back) to install the update, but that has not been seen on my set, yet
Art
artisticimaging and pachinko like this.
pilotart is offline  
post #9142 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 03:27 PM
Member
 
blakepro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
After all, why would my Tablet or my Printer, iPhone, TV, Tuner Amp, Desktop Win-8 or Laptop ever want to visit a site that says "your not supposed to be here".
If you look at the source code, it also says "And there are no clever comments either."

Such an angry little web page!!

Thanks for all the hard work on identifying the process everyone. I currently embrace each new update, but if I ever need to avoid a future update, I'll know where to look.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
blakepro is offline  
post #9143 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
...
It's been more than two days since I've seen a Pop-Up advising to install 124R so it looks like my 'problem' is Solved and I thank everyone who helped me
...
I'm still on that nice 'mystery' Firmware 115R, which seems to have fixed the 'bugs' in 114R without adding the new "Features" of 124R. And I Like it Like That, for now.
...
Art
Glad to hear you’ve defeated that nasty nag! Too bad we don’t know how to extract 115R from your unit, and safeguard it for all time.

Have you been brave enough to use the DVR+ menu system to have it check for an update (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download)? It would be very helpful if someone not running 124R would do that, and report if the following seemingly “contradictory” message appears when the DVR+ fails to find the update:

Latest Software Detected
Unable to download, unknown error
pilotart likes this.
pachinko is offline  
post #9144 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Glad to hear you’ve defeated that nasty nag! Too bad we don’t know how to extract 115R from your unit, and safeguard it for all time.
I guess I can understand why they won't let us in there to look at their code.

I am just glad that you and others here know and will share knowledge of those URL's used for the Auto Update, that can be blocked without losing other functions of your DVR+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Have you been brave enough to use the DVR+ menu system to have it check for an update (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download)? It would be very helpful if someone not running 124R would do that, and report if the following seemingly “contradictory” message appears when the DVR+ fails to find the update:

Latest Software Detected
Unable to download, unknown error
I'm never going there again and will Learn about new Firmware on this Thread.

I was very pleased to see the detail of information from Channel Master on the update. But I would still want the information provided by our brave and generous owners here about their experiences after an update.

(It was often even difficult to read about the experiences for the 'early adopters' last year, when you know most of them never expected to become 'beta' testers.)
______________________________

Although I would be surprised if it now even detected "Latest Software", but if it did but couldn't download it, it could just say "Download Site Blocked" instead. As it should know the error.

My guess on a "Service Block" of FTP is that might prevent the IP Address unit (like your PC) from Downloading an Update File (or most anything else), but what effect might it have on the DVR+ (or my TV)

That would be the scenario I would expect to produce the contradictory response you outlined. (Now that's all strictly a layman's guess.)
Art
pachinko likes this.
pilotart is offline  
post #9145 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
...
BTW my 115R has ... has on-click CC's. I find CC's helpful for some British TV shows, but those are butt-ugly. My Sony, Samsung, Panasonic DVD and even Prism Cable allowed you to make them look much more appealing with custom fonts, shading, translucency, etc..
...
Art
I don't like the new CC either. Anyone using a remote control that can learn a sequence of commands, can program a button to toggle CC states with one button as follows:

CC (or Audio)
Down
OK
OK
Up
(or Down, it doesn't matter)
OK
Exit
(or Left, Left)

In case you haven't noticed various properties of Closed Captions can be adjusted in the menu system. Press Menu, Settings, Language, Closed Captions, OK, then go through the stuff that can be adjusted.
pachinko is offline  
post #9146 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
@pachinko My 'CC' Button just cycles CC on or off. I have a Sony Programmable Remote (from 2011) is teachable and does macros. So after I Do update, I will need to program that sequence.

Since with the DVR+, you are 'Dead-in-the-Water' without the Remote, it will be necessary to teach its commands to the Sony as a backup in the event of failure of primary Remote.

I like the form and function of this remote, of course I'm using those Color Button Shortcuts which will be gone if/when I update. I like that it works so well when it's just flat on the table or furniture, Sony Remotes always had to be picked up and aimed.

Thank You Very Much for pointing me to the Setup>Language site to adjust CC's appearance, that can improve the look for sure.

I first need to go and redo the removal of the half of the Channels that I don't want. I assume that to get one back, you would need to re-scan and restore all of them.

Reason I ask is last years Brasil Soccer was best on Univision, which I would normally not watch, I also need to first check for English CC's on those Channels, there wasn't much when last checked.
Art
pilotart is offline  
post #9147 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
...
I first need to go and redo the removal of the half of the Channels that I don't want. I assume that to get one back, you would need to re-scan and restore all of them.
...
Art
Not necessarily! There's a way to manually scan for particular channels, but you MUST know either the real channel number (not the channel alias), or the frequency for the channel. To manually scan for channels, do the following.

Menu
Settings
Channel Setup
Manual Scan
UHF / VHF Channel, and Enter the channel number (not the alias) to check,
(the frequency will update)
or
Frequency (kHz), and Enter the frequency to check
, (the channel number will update)
Scan
Started
(and wait for it to scan). The main channel, and all of it's sub-channels will be restored, so you may have to delete some later.
Repeat for each channel you need to restore.


Wouldn't it be nice if there was a list of deleted channels that could be restored by simply clicking on them?
DVR+ 124R has an Unhide Channel feature. See the steps in a few posts below this post.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 07-23-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Correct an incorrect statement
pachinko is offline  
post #9148 of 16648 Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pilotart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
@pachinko Sony's allowed you to "Hide" Channels and you could just un-hide them when you wanted to.

Samsung has a better Idea, you can set up "Favorite" lists that only have the Channels you wanted. Good deal here is that you can have many "Favorite" lists, like one for each Viewer (assuming of course that they view in different time periods).

Remote allows you to Pick which favorite list you want to work off of.

The above was done using the channel numbers as displayed.

Thanks for the restore instruction, TV Fool shows "Real" and Virtual numbers for each channel, I get all the Green ones with Mohu Leaf antennas.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03a4ae55ed9c

DVR+ is making TV worthwhile again
Art
pachinko likes this.
pilotart is offline  
post #9149 of 16648 Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I first need to go and redo the removal of the half of the Channels that I don't want. I assume that to get one back, you would need to re-scan and restore all of them.
I can't check where atm but the dvr+ menu allows for hiding and unhiding channels, so if/when removing any they can be unhidden later meaning no rescan needed.

edit: I forgot you're at 115 so if you don't find hide/unhide it's prolly a feature specific to 124r
yo-mama and pilotart like this.

Last edited by ej_eddie; 07-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.
ej_eddie is offline  
post #9150 of 16648 Old 07-23-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
I can't check where atm but the dvr+ menu allows for hiding and unhiding channels, so if/when removing any they can be unhidden later meaning no rescan needed.

edit: I forgot you're at 115 so if you don't find hide/unhide it's prolly a feature specific to 124r
You’re right! 124R does have a menu to unhide channels menu. Thanks ej_eddie! I'll update my earlier post.

Here's the steps:

Menu
Settings
Channel Setup
Antenna Channels
Hide/Unhide Channels

Note: If channels were hidden deleted before 123r/124R, they will not appear in the Hidden List, and would have to be re-scanned, either manually, or by a full rescan.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 07-24-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: changed hidden to deleted
pachinko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off