, I think blocking updates is a genuine DVR+ issue, especially since the DVR+ provides no means to deactivate automatic update. Since the only known way to block updates is through the router, I think it’s well suited for this thread.
Did you force your web browsers to “refresh” after blocking the domain? If not, I can see the web browser using its cache, instead of revealing that the site is blocked. Also, as I describe below, use the menu system on the DVR+ to attempt to check for an update. That’s a real test of the site being blocked to the DVR+, and if not blocked, just cancel the update when prompted. As I describe below, I find that only the domain name is used by the DVR+, not the IP address, so concentrate on blocking the domain name. My router will not permit https: either, and without the full address, such as https://www.yahoo.com
, access to yahoo is not blocked. I’m jealous of Joe getting an evil looking black and red message!
I just get a bland looking message in my browsers!
Although I currently do not have a need to block tr50.dishaccess.tv
from the DVR+ (it’s running 124R), I spent some time setting up my router (D-Link DIR-615) to block domain tr50.dishaccess.tv, just to understand it a little better. On my router, the process is NOT intuitive
, and requires not only specifying the domain name to block on the “Website Filter” router page, but requires creating an “Access Control Policy” on another router page
! Perhaps some who are having trouble blocking tr50.dishaccess.tv need to do a similar thing on their router?
I find that blocking the IP, 22.214.171.124
, instead of the Domain Name tr50.dishaccess.tv
, does NOT prevent the DVR+ from verifying if it has the latest version (Menu, Settings, Technical Information, Software Updates, Check for Download). It would find the website and report the latest update is already installed (or something like that). I suggest using the DVR+ menu as a method to verify that the DVR+ is successfully blocked, instead of waiting to see if the DVR+ prompts to perform an update, or if a web browser blocks the site (it could be blocked on one device and not another). If it’s not blocked, and an update is offered, just cancel the update, then try again to get the router set up properly.
However, blocking the Domain Name, tr50.dishaccess.tv
, successfully prevented the DVR+ from finding the website, and after trying for a while the DVR+ displays the following, contradictory notice:
Latest Software Detected
Unable to download, unknown error
My tests show that the domain name is the only
thing that the DVR+ uses to access the website, not the equivalent IP address. That said, I don’t see a reason why both the Domain Name and the IP address should not be specified. I’ve tested that, and the DVR+ doesn’t care if the IP is also blocked. It only cares about the domain name.
When successfully blocked, none of 3 web browsers were able to access the EchoStar site, and would simply time out after a long period, with a different message depending upon the web browser.
Firefox : The connection was reset
Chrome : This webpage is not available
IE : This page can’t be displayed
NOTE: You should force the browser to “refresh
” the page, or it may incorrectly show the “You are not supposed to be here
” notice, making it appear that the block is not working! The DVR+ doesn't appear to have a "refresh" issue, when using it to test if the block is working.
For anyone interested, there are a bunch of sites that will provide the IP of a domain. One is http://ipinfo.info/html/ip_checker.php
. Another is http://www.getip.com/
, which even shows a map of the physical location, but you have to also enter a CAPTCHA. For tr50.dishaccess.tv
, the IP is 126.96.36.199
, and the ISP is EchoStar Broadcasting Corp.