Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4181Likes

post #9151 of 16647 Old 07-23-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Samsung has a better Idea, you can set up "Favorite" lists that only have the Channels you wanted. Good deal here is that you can have many "Favorite" lists, like one for each Viewer (assuming of course that they view in different time periods).

Art
Not just Samsung; many tuners have one or more Favorite lists. Even the old Channel Master CM-7000 converter box had one Favorite list.

It's a feature the DVR+ could really use.
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Not just Samsung; many tuners have one or more Favorite lists. Even the old Channel Master CM-7000 converter box had one Favorite list.

It's a feature the DVR+ could really use.
Old. As in Sony DHG old too. It had user-defined Favorites and you could name them at will and select channels that are included. You couldn't set the guide based on it however.
post #9153 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Note: If channels were hidden before 123r/124R, they will not appear in the Hidden List, and would have to be re-scanned, either manually, or by a full rescan.
Before 123R, channels were deleted instead of hidden. If you deleted a channel (on earlier firmware), you have to rescan to get it back, even if you update to 124R. Luckily, you can manually scan in just the missing channel. (If you need to know the "real" RF channel number for a station, you can find it at http://rabbitears.info.)

As I've said before, I wish we had both options. Sometimes I really do want to deep-six a channel for good. But if I had to choose just one, I'd pick hidden over deleted. Easier to unhide than to rescan.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9154 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
... (If you need to know the "real" RF channel number for a station, you can find it at http://rabbitears.info.)..
Ditto at TVFool.com!
post #9155 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ditto at TVFool.com!
Ditto at AntennaPoint.com.

pachinko likes this.
post #9156 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Remote Question

On the back of the remote just above the battery compartment there is a tiny hole with what appears to be the outline of a tool (perhaps a small screwdriver?) just to the top right of the hole. Is there some sort of remote reset button in the hole recess? I did search this forum for an answer but got nowhere.

This came up because I need to replace the batteries in one of the 2 remotes and I noticed the hole. I tried using 2 thumbs and the battery compartment will not budge. I really don't think CM designed the remote to have batteries replaced by anyone with normal thumb strength. However I do have 70 years old thumbs. Perhaps if I gave it to my 15 month old grandson he would have it open and the batteries in his mouth in no time. Any tips would be appreciated on how any of you managed to change the batteries w/o breaking open the battery compartment.

Last edited by LenL; 07-24-2015 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added info
post #9157 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
On the back of the remote just above the battery compartment there is a tiny hole with what appears to be the outline of a tool (perhaps a small screwdriver?) just to the top right of the hole. Is there some sort of remote reset button in the hole recess? I did search this forum for an answer but got nowhere.
if it's the flat remote the hole is to release the battery cover. I too could not get that thing to budge until I noticed where the hole was, pressed in with a dull point which makes the cover arch up and can be removed.
MikeBiker likes this.
post #9158 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

This came up because I need to replace the batteries in one of the 2 remotes and I noticed the hole. I tried using 2 thumbs and the battery compartment will not budge. I really don't think CM designed the remote to have batteries replaced by anyone with normal thumb strength. However I do have 70 years old thumbs. Perhaps if I gave it to my 15 month old grandson he would have it open and the batteries in his mouth in no time. Any tips would be appreciated on how any of you managed to change the batteries w/o breaking open the battery compartment.
Like ej_eddie says, use a small blunt object to depress the plastic latch hidden in the hole, then slide open with the other hand. To see what I did to make it easy to open without a tool, see my post on 03-17-2015 at 06:33 PM. I did that long ago, and have had no issues with it.
post #9159 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Thanks guys. I opened up a paper clip and used it as a tool to push down on the latch and got the battery cover open as you guys instructed. Funny I did not see those instructions in the DVR+ manual.
post #9160 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Gimme a reason to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
... On the new remote control there is just one on/off button, and when you press it, it will turn off (or on) both your DVR+ and your TV simultaneously (assuming you programmed the DVR+ to control your TV's Mute and Volume, etc.). ...
Just another brainless change (or failure to change what needed changing) by E*/CM! Of course I sometimes want to turn off the DVR but not the TV!!!
Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

I'm still waiting for a reason to download 124R. I hope I can fix my new freeze-up issue in 114R some other way.
midas89 and pilotart like this.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #9161 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Just another brainless change (or failure to change what needed changing) by E*/CM! Of course I sometimes want to turn off the DVR but not the TV!!!
Stupid, stupid, stupid.....
I agree with you...so stupid.

Oh, and please know that once you program the new remote to control the power, volume, and mute of your TV; and then you discover the new system where the TV and DVR+ are turned on and off simultaneously, there are no instructions in the user manual on how to remove your TV's programming code from the new remote control.

I do not want the DVR+ to simultaneously turn both devices on and off, so I wanted to remove the TV programming, so I had to call Channel Master tech support and be on hold for a long time.
post #9162 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
I agree with you...so stupid.

Oh, and please know that once you program the new remote to control the power, volume, and mute of your TV; and then you discover the new system where the TV and DVR+ are turned on and off simultaneously, there are no instructions in the user manual on how to remove your TV's programming code from the new remote control.

I do not want the DVR+ to simultaneously turn both devices on and off, so I wanted to remove the TV programming, so I had to call Channel Master tech support and be on hold for a long time.
So what did CM tell you? Were you able to remove the TV? Please give us the process!
post #9163 of 16647 Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
So what did CM tell you? Were you able to remove the TV? Please give us the process!
Yes indeed. After 2 calls to Channel Master, I found success removing the LG TV code from the new remote control so that the on/off buttons on the remote control do not control my TV.

The procedure:

Hold down the Setup and Off buttons simultaneously. The light under the Off button will flash 4 times. Then release both buttons.
pachinko and SirCrow like this.
post #9164 of 16647 Old 07-25-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I probably would have just set the remote to a different code (for a TV I didn't even own).

But I agree: this was a stupid change. While it's sometimes nice to have one button for both devices (DirecTV remotes have this), that shouldn't be your only option! What if one device misses the button and remains on (or off)? Then you have the two devices out of sync, with no way to turn on one without turning off the other!
dishrag2, pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #9165 of 16647 Old 07-25-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I probably would have just set the remote to a different code (for a TV I didn't even own).

But I agree: this was a stupid change. While it's sometimes nice to have one button for both devices (DirecTV remotes have this), that shouldn't be your only option! What if one device misses the button and remains on (or off)? Then you have the two devices out of sync, with no way to turn on one without turning off the other!
Well, there is one way. I think my grandparents used it.
SirCrow likes this.
post #9166 of 16647 Old 07-25-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
If you need a universal remote, then maybe you just have too much AV junk.
post #9167 of 16647 Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe - but it could also be because:
  • You just don't like the OEM remote;
  • You want a backup remote in case the OEM remote dies; or
  • You want macros to replace the nice, simple CC button CM disabled in firmware 123R
JoeKustra and SirCrow like this.
post #9168 of 16647 Old 07-25-2015, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
I've been looking for a learning remote to replace the failing stock one for my TViX, but sadly its button configuration is so weird that it's hard to find a learning one that is a good match.
post #9169 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
@Aleron Ives
I Doubt that you will find a 'Teachable' Remote that has same button layout as your DVR+ Remote's keypad.

I've had this Sony Integrated Remote Commander since 2011 and now on my second pair of Standard 'AA' Batteries (delivered w/Sony batteries). Cost me $20 and it's $14.99 now on Amazon Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMVLZ620-.../dp/B00385XUG0

Has a comfortable, quality feel in your hand (it has an ergonomic 'index' finger valley on back, to orient in dark) and the DVR+ 'most-used' Control (Rec, Play, Pause, Jump, etc.) Buttons fall under your thumb (Right or Left hand-hold) and they are 'tactile' enough to ID in the Dark. Since you can teach any button any command, you could have "Commercial Skip" (or whatever pleases you) set on each corner button

More than enough of "Teachable" Buttons to learn all of the DVR+ buttons

And

You can Program it to perform "Macros" (series of buttons w/timed space if needed, from One Button Press) so you can have 'one-click' CC again (from Sony Manual):
Quote:
"You can program a consecutive
procedure and perform them by
pressing just one button.
You can program up to 16
consecutive steps to each of the
SYSTEM CONTROL buttons (1 – 4)"
{Along lower edge}
or the Device Select buttons.
{eight of them at top}
From the Sony Support site Linked at top of my post, you can download 'pdf's for all the Manuals, but mine was delivered with nicely printed Manuals included.

This would be my recommendation from Long Time Personal Experience with it and it would be the best value from a Price/Quality/Function/Support standpoint
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 07-26-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #9170 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I've had this Sony Integrated Remote Commander since 2011 and now on my second pair of Standard 'AA' Batteries (delivered w/Sony batteries). Cost me $20 and it's $14.99 now on Amazon Prime:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMVLZ620-.../dp/B00385XUG0
One of the big questions I have for “learning” models is how friendly they are to being reprogrammed WITHOUT having to reprogram every button. That is, after programming, can I reprogram a single button without having to reprogram all buttons. How's this model when it comes to that issue?

Backlighting is important too, regardless of how easy the buttons are to identify by touch.
post #9171 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I've been looking for a learning remote to replace the failing stock one for my TViX, but sadly its button configuration is so weird that it's hard to find a learning one that is a good match.
I might have a replacement remote control for the tvix if you want.
What model Tvix do you have???? Let me look tonight.
post #9172 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One of the big questions I have for “learning” models is how friendly they are to being reprogrammed WITHOUT having to reprogram every button. That is, after programming, can I reprogram a single button without having to reprogram all buttons.
I can't speak to the specific model @pilotart suggested, but I own the previous Sony model, and it can do this just fine.

In fact I've found that to be true of almost all learning remotes. The big exception is the Dish 20.1 (too bad because it's otherwise a very good replacement for the DVR+ remote).
pilotart likes this.
post #9173 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Quote:
Backlighting is important too, regardless of how easy the buttons are to identify by touch.
A possible solution for "weird" remotes (like Aleron Ives's TViX and my iView) is a "touchscreen" remote. (In fact I think there's an iPad app for that, if you have an old iPad that you've since upgraded.) That way you can label the buttons any way you like. Backlighting would be included as part of the touchscreen. However, some folks just hate the idea. There's no perfect solution for everyone, I guess; but it is another option to consider.
post #9174 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
One of the big questions I have for “learning” models is how friendly they are to being reprogrammed WITHOUT having to reprogram every button. That is, after programming, can I reprogram a single button without having to reprogram all buttons. How's this model when it comes to that issue?

I to have the earlier model of the Sony remote that pilotart mentioned (RM-VL 600) and the answer to your questions would be yes and yes, but the Backlight would be an issue.
post #9175 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question on adding external drive for archiving programs

I've added an external 1TB drive to my DVR+, which also has the internal 1TB drive, with the intention of archiving programs by moving them to the external drive.

It seems that there is no option to move programs from the internal to the external drive. I have the option of setting either drive for DVR use, but once I do that the other drive is not accessible until I switch back.

Has anyone found a way to have an external drive hooked up and move programs from the internal to external drive?
post #9176 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh6idf View Post
I've added an external 1TB drive to my DVR+, which also has the internal 1TB drive, with the intention of archiving programs by moving them to the external drive.

It seems that there is no option to move programs from the internal to the external drive. I have the option of setting either drive for DVR use, but once I do that the other drive is not accessible until I switch back.

Has anyone found a way to have an external drive hooked up and move programs from the internal to external drive?
I haven't heard of anyone being able to move recordings between the internal and external drives. However, you can move files from the USB HDD to a computer.

When the internal HDD model was first released, I immediately asked CM about this. Their reply is just what you discovered, only one drive can be active at a time. They also said that they do not support moving recordings from one to another. I take that to mean that they (or rather the developers) have no intention of ever adding that feature.

If you just received the unit, send it back and replace it with the other model.
post #9177 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick answer. I've had the DVR+ for a while and it has the internal 1TB drive, so I will just keep the 1TB external drive for use with my computer.
post #9178 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
CM ... said that they do not support moving recordings from one to another. I take that to mean that they (or rather the developers) have no intention of ever adding that feature.
That and the high price difference are why I've never considered getting a 1 TB DVR+. However, I believe their intentions would change if enough customers (or better yet, potential customers) asked.
pachinko likes this.
post #9179 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

I have re-programmed single buttons and macro's without touching any of the other buttons.

While it's true that it has no back light, it is easier (for me) to use than my Backlit standard Samsung Remote. Now the second Remote for that TV is a Bluetooth with an 'Air-Mouse' to select items on-screen when needed and I'm in love with that (No BackLight) Remote. It's a strictly 2014 version, 2015's have less buttons and more on-screen selections.

My first Universal Remote was a Memorex at $185 (it was The Only Universal Remote at the time). Was back lit with an LCD Screen and not only did Macro's, but had a timer and a Clock to fire them off automatically. No 'pre-programs' existed, all 'Learn' IR Codes for each key.

Once found it at bottom of Hot Tub, removed Batteries and dried it out, it continued to work for years. I guess the 'Harmony' is Top Dog Remote now, with top dog prices, I would want the Bluetooth version (but has no Air Mouse) that drives an IR Blaster, bet that's $$$ and wouldn't like my Hot Tub

I don't think you can top that $14.99 Sony but Amazon has a selection from $10-$399 here (including a $10 w/Back Light): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FMVNF42V0CK8YV
Art
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 07-26-2015 at 07:26 PM.
post #9180 of 16647 Old 07-26-2015, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Is anyone else having issues access the Vevo music stations on the CM? My wife turns on the Vevo hits station while she works around the house and for at least the past few days when you try and access one of the Vevo music channels, you get a error saying CM is working to add this channel. Was wondering if I needed to do a hardware reset.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page