Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 312 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4222Likes

post #9331 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerowords View Post
Thanks,

Please clarify 1) whether a cold reboot means unplugging and then replugging, and 2) whether the fsck() is another explicit step the user must take or whether the DTV+ does it automatically after the cold reboot. If fsck() must be done manually by the user then I am likely out of luck if a windows computer, not a mac, is required.
1) that's right; it would be easy,if your box connected to power strip with a switch 2) you don't need to worry how-to, as the routine executing automatically during cold start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Here’s my thoughts about this (ignoring whether a Stick should be used or not).

1. When a recording is deleted, the DVR+ does not always reclaim that space in a timely manner. Wait a long while (hours) to recheck the percentage used. I’m leaning toward this being the real problem. That said, use the menu system to disconnect the Stick, then reconnect it. I haven’t done any tests to see if that causes the percentage used to update, but it’s worth a try, and I’ll have to experiment with that myself when I get a chance.
Update: Finally hooked my media stick to see the breakdown. There is definitely a discrepancy between the recorded space and the available space:

37.5GB used (equates to 29.5%)

Channel Master is showing 44%

Can't figure out a reason for the discrepancy. Originally I thought that the CM % remaining indicator was slightly in line but after looking at the files in Ubuntu, there is a big discrepancy. (I was originally saying standard definition tv was about 2.2GB/hour but in actuality my recordings are ~700MB/hour). Not a huge deal since eventually I'll probably get a +500GB HD anyways but I am just a stickler for efficiency.

On an unrelated note, I have MPV Media Player on a Chromebook (running Ubuntu via crouton) and it is extremely convenient/easy to plug in my USB stick and watch TV from my laptop.
post #9333 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2822 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
I couldn't help but notice a discrepancy in the screenshot:
37.5 GB used
83.0 GB free

... but the screenshot claims 126.9 GB total!

6.4 GB seems like an awful lot of overhead (I'm guessing that's the "gray" area on the pie chart.) Perhaps a cold reboot will recover much of that.

It still doesn't account for CM's 44% calculation though. I come up with about 35%: (126.9-83.0)/126.9
macallik likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9334 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I couldn't help but notice a discrepancy in the screenshot:
37.5 GB used
83.0 GB free

... but the screenshot claims 126.9 GB total!

6.4 GB seems like an awful lot of overhead (I'm guessing that's the "gray" area on the pie chart.) Perhaps a cold reboot will recover much of that.

It still doesn't account for CM's 44% calculation though. I come up with about 35%: (126.9-83.0)/126.9
Yeah I noticed that the grey area was unaccounted for in the screenshot too. I wrote it off as the partition at first, but the partition is only ~1GB in retrospect and viewed separately.

The only idea I have (which I don't think holds a lot of weight) to explain the difference between the expected % and the DVR+ % is that perhaps the DVR's % also includes live TV recordings (the recordings that you don't program but allow you to pause/rewind live TV). Maybe the dvr+ purges temporarily stored recordings when it disconnected so the dvr+ reading will always be higher than the readings on a computer. Some issues I have with this theory is that I was under the impression that this was stored on the internal 16GB of memory instead of the external memory and b) I haven't heard anyone else notice this discrepancy.
post #9335 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
My guess would be that there's some sort of mix up surrounding which menus calculate sizes in GiB and which menus calculate sizes in GB. The discrepancies are pretty close to the numbers I'd expect to see if that were the problem.
macallik likes this.
post #9336 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobarino View Post
I was pleasantly surprised Friday to find guide data for the 5 subchannel stations for a low power station in okc that hereto for only showed TBA.
I had requested from CM about a month ago to forward my request for this channel guide to Rovi.
There is not much detailed info but at least now I can use name based recordings instead of manual recordings and the search function now searches those channels as well.
Maybe it was your request; or you may have benefited from a somewhat larger Rovi customer called Micro$oft.

Apparently M$ has always used Rovi for the XBox'x "OneGuide;" but on 7/7 they started using Rovi for the Windows Media Center software as well. M$ may have asked Rovi to add several smaller channels to their guides for that reason.

For WMC users, Rovi's often-generic guide info is a downgrade from what Zap2it gave us. But for the DVR+, new guide channels are a nice upgrade. I use both, so for me it's a mixed bag.
post #9337 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallik View Post
Maybe the dvr+ purges temporarily stored recordings when it disconnected so the dvr+ reading will always be higher than the readings on a computer. Some issues I have with this theory is that I was under the impression that this was stored on the internal 16GB of memory instead of the external memory and b) I haven't heard anyone else notice this discrepancy.
The time-shifting buffers are indeed stored on the external drive and indeed increase the total % used. You can see the effect if you leave the DVR+ on and tuned to a HD channel for a couple of hours so the buffer maxes out. The % used will go up during that time.

But if you turn the DVR+ off, you'll see a burst of HD activity (at least if your drive indicates activity; some thumb drives don't) as it deletes the buffer. If you wait for that to finish then turn the DVR+ on, the % used should have gone back down.

I don't know why it doesn't use the internal drive for its time-shifting buffer, even though that would make sense. I guess it's just the way the firmware is written; at any given time, it's either using the internal drive for everything or the external drive.

BTW, if you disconnect the external drive so the DVR+ uses the internal one, the time-shifting buffer is no longer automatic - you have to press "Pause" to start buffering - and it's only 15 minutes vs. 2 hours. I guess this is to leave room for a recording or two. 16 GB isn't a lot of space for video.
macallik likes this.
post #9338 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
It did not come with that new Remote and I won't be buying one either, but 124R looks like firmware for using that Hershey Bar. The existing remote works great and before spending $15 on batteries for it, I will program my old Sony RM-VLZ620 w/48 buttons to teach, but it has its DVR buttons near the top. Even does Macros for $16.28!

Art
I hope you're not spending $15 on CR2032 "coin" batteries. They're like $7/pair at Target, and Target's battery prices are high.

But I agree - the Sony universal remote is a very good substitute, and it uses ordinary AA batteries (which makes it compatible with my remote extender). It looks nearly identical to the (non-learning) RM-VZ320, except it has one more device button (the 620 splits the DVD & BD buttons, while the 320 combines them); the 620 also has four "system control" buttons at the bottom (ideal for multiple-device macros). The only problem I've found with it is that, to make room in the firmware for new features like learning and macros, they removed several codes; so I had to "teach" it how to work the Philco converter box that the 320 had a built-in code for.

Also, I had some frustration teaching it the DVR+ remote codes. I found the most reliable technique was, at the moment of learning, to press the button on the DVR+ remote for one second, release it, then press it again. I don't know why it has to be done this way, but it's the only way I could get the Sony to reliably learn the DVR+ remote codes.

Anyway, once that chore is done, it works fine. Most DVR+ buttons have clear equivalents on the Sony but naturally, there are a few without obvious equivalents. Here's how I mapped them (feel free to alter these according to taste):

Aspect: Enter (based on their common position under the 9 button)
DVR: Favorites
Home: Options (this is just a shortcut to the apps in the DVR+ guide)
CC: List (doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it's consistent with how the Sony maps my TV's CC button)
Exit: Return
Back: Recall
Color buttons: A, B, C, and D
Audio: Sleep

Of course, if you have 124R, CC/List and Audio/Sleep do the same thing, so you may prefer to make List a macro that emulates the 114R CC button instead.
pilotart likes this.
post #9339 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I hope you're not spending $15 on CR2032 "coin" batteries. They're like $7/pair at Target, and Target's battery prices are high.
I get 20 - CR2032 Sony cells from Amazon for $8.25, with free Prime shipping. I've ordered them 3 or 4 times. They work well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Lithium-C...cm_wl_huc_item
post #9340 of 16807 Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
You might check fleabay. Major brands can be cheap with free shipping as well.
post #9341 of 16807 Old 08-16-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallik View Post
Update: Finally hooked my media stick to see the breakdown. There is definitely a discrepancy between the recorded space and the available space:

37.5GB used (equates to 29.5%)

Channel Master is showing 44%

Can't figure out a reason for the discrepancy. Originally I thought that the CM % remaining indicator was slightly in line but after looking at the files in Ubuntu, there is a big discrepancy. (I was originally saying standard definition tv was about 2.2GB/hour but in actuality my recordings are ~700MB/hour). Not a huge deal since eventually I'll probably get a +500GB HD anyways but I am just a stickler for efficiency.

On an unrelated note, I have MPV Media Player on a Chromebook (running Ubuntu via crouton) and it is extremely convenient/easy to plug in my USB stick and watch TV from my laptop.
I can’t explain the differences either, but below is what I’m getting on a 3TB USB WD My Book, after the DVR+ reclaimed the space used by two 12 hour recordings that were deleted. It took 12 minutes to reclaim the space, reclaiming 1% after 2 minutes, another 1% five minutes later, and a final 1% after another 5 minutes. The EHD was then connected to Windows 8.1 and examined. When returned to the DVR+ (124R), the percentage used remained at 8%.

Using the Ext2Fsd values (see pic below), 233 / 2793 = 8.34%. Since the DVR+ is reporting 8% used, it looks okay to me.

This is what Ext2Fsd reveals in Windows:

This is the partitioning as revealed by Windows Disk Management:

Here’s my other thoughts:

For sure, adjust your calculations to account for that gray area in the Pie Chart. In Ubuntu, use GParted (I think that’s the program name) to show how the USB Stick is partitioned. That might tell us what that gray area is, and precisely what the partition sizes are. If there is any unallocated space, then evidently the DVR+ isn’t making full use of the Stick, like it did pre-123R on 3TB drives.

How long did you wait before checking the percentage used on the DVR+? When was the screenshot created that shows the 44% on the DVR+, before or after connecting to Ubuntu? If before, what does it show after reconnecting to the DVR+? Did you do a Cold Boot to see if that alters the value?

The DVR+ uses only one storage device at a time, either the internal storage, or the external storage, so the Live recording is written to the USB HDD when it’s connected, and is included in the percentage used. My experience shows that the current Live recording is not deleted when the USB HDD is disconnected from the DVR+, and you should see it in Ubuntu (although cryptically named, and incorrectly dated, making it difficult to find), and Ubuntu will count it too, so that should cancel out.

Out of curiosity, how are you determining which recording to play on your TV through your Laptop? I'm assuming Trial and Error!
artisticimaging and macallik like this.
post #9342 of 16807 Old 08-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Adult swim channel problem?

Last night I was going through the new channels after an upgrade to 124r was forced on me. When I go to that goofy fish tank channel, it loads, then after maybe 3 seconds the screen goes black, no blue light anymore, no nothing? Not 1 button on the remote will do anything? I had to do a cold reboot to get back. OK... maybe my internet was wiggy, so I go back to that channel. It happened again. Cold reboot. So then I went to every channel in the new list and had no problems with any of them, so I go back to the tank. BAM! Did it again! What's the deal? Anyone else see this?

On a side note: I have had no other issues with 124r that I know of. HDD spins up and am using the recommended Seagate 1tb drive with it set to spin down after 10 minutes.
post #9343 of 16807 Old 08-16-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Weird. I just tried Adult Swim and it was almost perfect. A second of pixelation a few seconds after it loaded, but that went away, then everything was fine. I don't have particularly fast Internet, so I was pleasantly surprised not to see more problems.

Maybe the brief pixelation I saw is a clue though. Maybe it translates into some kind of buffer overflow on your DVR+ that's making it lock up.

If your HDD is spinning up OK, you should be fine with 124R. The biggest complaints about it are UI changes. In particular, the CC button now does the same thing as the Audio button, and you can no longer use the Red button to delete a recording from its description page. There are other changes but those seem to be the most annoying two.
post #9344 of 16807 Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
It did not come with that new Remote and I won't be buying one either, but 124R looks like firmware for using that Hershey Bar. The existing remote works great and before spending $15 on batteries for it, I will program my old Sony RM-VLZ620 w/48 buttons to teach, but it has its DVR buttons near the top. Even does Macros for $16.28!
Congrats on the switch! I also use the Sony RM-VLZ620 with my DVR+ - works great, and the high powered IR emitters make sure the button presses are always received. A bit tedious to program it but worth it in the end. Just make sure you program one of the buttons (e.g. Return) as the "Exit" button, there's no way out of the Youtube app without it!
pilotart likes this.
post #9345 of 16807 Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The abc news channel has already pulled out. That was the one internet channel I actually liked.
post #9346 of 16807 Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkdrain View Post
The abc news channel has already pulled out. That was the one internet channel I actually liked.
Every time there's a change in the Linear TV offerings, it's always in the wrong direction: some channel that used to work has quit.
I might have some hope for Linear TV if I ever saw a channel go the other way, but I just went through the list and not one channel that quit working earlier has been fixed.

We're now up to a dozen non-working channels. Was it really worth changing how the color buttons on the remote work just for this?
post #9347 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Nope!
pilotart likes this.
post #9348 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
We're now up to a dozen non-working channels. Was it really worth changing how the color buttons on the remote work just for this?
NO, even if there were 50 working linear channels it would not be worth it. It's amazing they managed to make a horrible remote even worse.
pilotart likes this.
post #9349 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Pretty lame linear offering if all content providers just turn around within 6 months and pull their channels.
Typically business's have contracts to ensure their customers will have access to the channels before rolling it out to the public.
ChannelMaster needs to engage their legal team before turning what could be a nice new feature to a failure.
pilotart likes this.
post #9350 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wonder if it would have anything to do with cm promising a certain percentage of activations and they didn't make it, so now the channels are pulling out?
post #9351 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
I wonder if it would have anything to do with cm promising a certain percentage of activations and they didn't make it, so now the channels are pulling out?
What activations? Channels get $0 for this and this and likely this is why they pulled out-to protect their active subscribers to cable MSO's......
The only channels with an incentive to be offered on CM's linear offering are those nobody is watching be it because they are new or have no watchable content to being with.
Those with "valuable" content want to monetize it. Pretty simple if you follow the money.
post #9352 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
What activations? Channels get $0 for this and this and likely this is why they pulled out-to protect their active subscribers to cable MSO's......
dvr+ users that activated/signed up for cmtv, the numbers which I imagine channels would want to incorporate when setting advertising rates. I'm not saying dvr+ is such a monster audience it makes that big a difference but I can see where channels want to have some idea what numbers of people might be viewing it.

when I read avs posts about cmtv and saw what the actual channels were I never even bothered to activate it and wondered if many others just skipped it too.

it was just a guess anyway, the whole thing sounds weird the way it was added then not much later the wheels kind of fell off.
post #9353 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_eddie View Post
...when I read avs posts about cmtv and saw what the actual channels were I never even bothered to activate it and wondered if many others just skipped it too.
Count me! I did NOT activate CMTV.
pilotart likes this.
post #9354 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
NO, even if there were 50 working linear channels it would not be worth it. It's amazing they managed to make a horrible remote even worse.
I suppose if they'd gotten up to around 80 channels (and they all worked!) it might have been worth repurposing those remote buttons.

I actually like one of the remote changes with 124R: navigating the guide with FF/Rew/Skip Fwd/Skip Back is much more similar to other DVRs (both my Pals and WMC). But the other changes range from odd (FF to move between the three DVR menu screens? Why not just make it work like it did in 108R?) to downright stupid (turn the CC button into another Audio button so we can better sell a remote that we, uh, "forgot" to put a CC button on!)
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #9355 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"CMTV?" Channel Master Television? That's cute.

BTW, Channel Master isn't the first to try this and fail. Long ago, I understand, Micro$oft offered free "Internet TV" channels via Windows Media Center, including some good ones like CBS. They didn't last either.

In retrospect, if M$ couldn't make it work, Channel Master didn't stand a chance.
pilotart likes this.
post #9356 of 16807 Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did more monitoring of the DVR+ reclaiming space after deleting recordings, and how the percent used value updates. Just like my post two days ago on this subject, the larger the space being reclaimed, the longer it takes. My observations show that 1% is being reclaimed approximately every 5 minutes (up to 5.5 minutes). The first 1% change will likely occur in less than 5 minutes, as it depends when the deletion occurred in relation to the last time the DVR+ ran its program that updates the value.

I don’t have a theory why it’s slowly reclaiming 1% at a time, but that’s what it’s doing. The USB EHD that was used is a 3TB WD My Book. The data collected follows. The DVR+ is running version 124R.

12 hour recordings:
16% at 09:43:00PM (deleted six 12 hour recordings, half on SD channel, and half HD channel) (approx. 220GB)
15% at 09:46:30PM (3.5 mins)
14% at 09:51:33PM (5.0 mins)
13% at 09:56:40PM (5.1 mins)
12% at 10:02:00PM (5.3 mins)
11% at 10:07:05PM (5.1 mins)
10% at 10:11:55PM (4.8 mins)
9% at 10:17:30PM (5.6 mins)
8% at 10:22:50PM (5.3 mins)
============================
Total 8% reclaimed in 39.8 minutes

Half hour SD recordings:
8% at 10:29:35PM (deleted one folder containing 97 half hour SD recordings) (approx. 85GB)
7% at 10:32:25PM (2.8 mins)
6% at 10:37:25PM (5.0 mins)
5% at 10:42:40PM (5.3 mins)
==========================
Total 3% reclaimed in 13.1 minutes

Can anyone verify my observations, or show different results, perhaps with a different EHD and/or a version prior to 124R?
post #9357 of 16807 Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
It wasn't that long ago that they proclaimed "next week is going to be a great week" and they held up over 50 plus fixes so we could have a great week. Now the truth has set in. Linear TV was not the great addition to the DVR+ that CM sold us on. Or at least some of us.
Kelson, JoeKustra and pilotart like this.
post #9358 of 16807 Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think it's really the services that provide these channels who are shooting themselves in the foot by pulling out of Channel Masters TV service - this just gives more incentive in future to companies (and hackers) to just allow custom stream URLs to be inputted on devices that may or may not be from sources that are strictly legal, cutting them out of any sort of possible revenue in future. I don't blame CM for this, I blame the media industry's continued refusal and denial to accept change.
post #9359 of 16807 Old 08-19-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Channel Master DVR+ locks up.

I purchased the Channel Master DVR+ unit a few months ago and have been using it daily. After the latest software update I've been experiencing lock ups.

What I mean by lock up is the unit stops responding to the remote and the only way to restore is to cycle the power off and then back on. I just learned from this forum that you can hold the power button in to initiate a reset, but I haven't tried that. Sometimes I can go for a week between lock up and other times it will be only a day.

I did a Factor Reset a few days ago and yet I had another lock up today. Is anyone else having this issue and is there a workaround?
post #9360 of 16807 Old 08-19-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLorry27 View Post
Channel Master DVR+ locks up.

I purchased the Channel Master DVR+ unit a few months ago and have been using it daily. After the latest software update I've been experiencing lock ups.

What I mean by lock up is the unit stops responding to the remote and the only way to restore is to cycle the power off and then back on. I just learned from this forum that you can hold the power button in to initiate a reset, but I haven't tried that. Sometimes I can go for a week between lock up and other times it will be only a day.

I did a Factor Reset a few days ago and yet I had another lock up today. Is anyone else having this issue and is there a workaround?
If Power Cycling and Factory Reset have not helped, it's doubtful that holding the Power button on the DVR+ will fair any better, but can't hurt to try.

Have you checked the batteries in the remote control? Try new batteries if you have them. Even if they are still good, the weak spring contacts sometimes need tweaking (I stretched mine, but don't blame me if you do it in such a way that you break the spring). Others have shimmed between the battery and the removable cover with a bit of paper or cardboard.

What is the DVR+ doing when it locks up? If it's airing one of the Internet Channels, that might be the problem. There have been several reports of some of them causing hang ups.
MacLorry27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page