Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 314 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #9391 of 16648 Old 08-20-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
<....>
I'd give it a try just to see. I bet it only deletes the conflicting recording; but even if it deletes the whole series, it's not that hard to set up again, and you can tell the rest of us what it does.
I did and you were correct in that it just deleted that 'Grayed-out' selection.

My issue had come with selecting Record Perry Mason which comes on MeTV at 10 AM and then there's another at 11:30 PM.

Trouble was I'd seen all of the 11:30 PM episodes.

Growing up in a One Channel (or no TV at all) environment, I had never seen the B&W ones of the fifties and early sixties. My Late Wife had grown up in Pittsburgh (and her father was a Lawyer no less). She could see a couple seconds of the B&W PM's and instantly recall the show, including what would have her Lawyer Father rolling on the floor in Laughter. So she loved just the later Color versions with Paul Drake's son and I did too, but we saw them together as first-runs and I now recall (as she had the earlier ones).

I've been avid about recording as much News as possible and speed viewing (2x w/captions or 32x for content) or not and deleting. I Like the "Series Delete" option best.

11 PM local News is 11-11:35 PM and would not allow Series Recording of two 11 PM News due to the Perry Mason Series 11:30 PM conflict. After deletion of the 'gray-outs' the two 11 PM News Series were accepted. Of course it will now create a conflict two weeks in advance and I will report how the DVR+ deals with it.
Quote:
Those are problems with using the "new" flag in Rovi's guide instead of looking at the HDD to see what's already been recorded.

CM/E* added the "Record new programs" function in 114R, and I was just about the only one pointing out that it wouldn't work as well as everyone seemed to think.
I'm glad it's there and to find ways to deal with it. It has in most cases, seemed to work well.

I just checked Sunday/Monday Schedule and this time the "New" is working as it should.
Quote:
That "other" DVR is the only one I know of that buffers two channels at once.

I agree it should be easy. I'm just speculating, but the only reason I can think of why nobody else does that is that T??o has a patent on that feature.
My pre-2013 Prism (CATV) DVR had limits using two TV's and Recording depending whether using HD or not. It would put up a 'choice' including turn off for the other TV (while other person may be watching in HT).

When I said it was *Simple*, I recalled watching a programmer make what I expected to be a very simple program change.

It was simply thousands of key-strokes and changes within all sorts of 'branches' of the Program, not really "Simple" at all.

Programmer loved his work and would rather be doing that than anything else, me; I had guilt from asking for it.
Quote:
I too have had a lock-up when watching Linear TV. Sounds like it's about time for 125R
I did spend several hours watching YouTube, 'Paired' it with my Networked Tablet (it's now TV-2) and did everything I could to test everything on several U-Tubes. Nothing ever "Locked" or "Froze" but going back and forth with my TV's YouTube showed great advantages in using TV's version, even though it appeared they were running the exact same app.

So that was the very Last Linear TV for me.

Really wonder that although you can't Record YouTube, you can easily Download YouTube's with this: http://www.ytddownloader.com/
or many other free apps. I've also used them to convert MP-4's to MP-3's when needed.

When your download speed is slow, YouTube prefers 30+ Mbps for UHD Streams (and needs Vp9 Codecs anyway), But downloads run without buffering at all.
Quote:
If you aren't using CMTV, Pandora, or YouTube, it might be easier/faster/better to just downgrade to 108R.
I have USB versions of 114R and 111R, I hope never to have any reason to use. Was there some special advantage with 108R?
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 08-20-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 16648 Old 08-20-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
All 4 of my DVR+ recorders have begun acting up since the last update. At first I discovered that pausing live TV stopped working. Hitting the pause button had no effect using either the CM+ or the Logitech Harmony remotes. Hitting the Skip Back button also had no effect - live TV continued to play. After a while I noticed that hitting the Record button while either watching live TV or from the GUIDE screen menu failed to record anything - the red Recording light would light up for a second but it would not record or show any new recording on the DVR recordings screen. All other functions continued to work, such as changing channels, recording previously scheduled shows, or playing back recorded programs. In each case rebooting by holding down the power button seemed to fix the problem for a while.

Today I was watching the DVR+ which is used the most. When it refused to pause or skip back I rebooted again and it did not fix the problem. This time if I hit Pause the system locked up - black screen and no sound or progress bar. Rebooted a couple more times - including unplugging from the wall with the same result.

I removed the 2TB WD USB drive and connected another identical brand new drive. Once the DVR+ formatted this new drive the system worked perfectly.

I then reinstalled the previous drive and it continued to display the same problems. The 2tb drive did not seem to be able to accept any command related to the recording function even though the DVR screen indicated it was only 50% full. I then went to the recordings list and deleted entire directories containing hundreds of recordings, thinking this problem might be related to a "disc full" or "Max listings" reached situation.

During the next half hour I made more attempts to Pause, resulting in the same lockups and the need for rebooting. Eventually when the percentage used display reduced slowly from 50% to about 40% all functions began working as expected.

None of my other 3 DVR+ units contained more than 40% usage and they have never locked up, although they each eventually seem to stop their ability to pause or skip back until rebooted since this latest software update.

Please let me know if this behavior matches anyone else.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #9393 of 16648 Old 08-20-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
The main reason I suggested 108R to WiscoJim is that it didn't have the LED bug, which he'd been having a lot of trouble with. The LED worked somewhat differently in 108R, the menus were a bit different, and of course, there was no Pandora, YouTube, or "Linear TV." (It did have VuDu.) Oh - and like 114R, it only supported 2.2TB of HDD space. But as a straight DVR, it worked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9394 of 16648 Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryh View Post
All 4 of my DVR+ recorders have begun acting up since the last update. At first I discovered that pausing live TV stopped working. Hitting the pause button had no effect using either the CM+ or the Logitech Harmony remotes. Hitting the Skip Back button also had no effect - live TV continued to play. After a while I noticed that hitting the Record button while either watching live TV or from the GUIDE screen menu failed to record anything - the red Recording light would light up for a second but it would not record or show any new recording on the DVR recordings screen. All other functions continued to work, such as changing channels, recording previously scheduled shows, or playing back recorded programs. In each case rebooting by holding down the power button seemed to fix the problem for a while.

Today I was watching the DVR+ which is used the most. When it refused to pause or skip back I rebooted again and it did not fix the problem. This time if I hit Pause the system locked up - black screen and no sound or progress bar. Rebooted a couple more times - including unplugging from the wall with the same result.

I removed the 2TB WD USB drive and connected another identical brand new drive. Once the DVR+ formatted this new drive the system worked perfectly.

I then reinstalled the previous drive and it continued to display the same problems. The 2tb drive did not seem to be able to accept any command related to the recording function even though the DVR screen indicated it was only 50% full. I then went to the recordings list and deleted entire directories containing hundreds of recordings, thinking this problem might be related to a "disc full" or "Max listings" reached situation.

During the next half hour I made more attempts to Pause, resulting in the same lockups and the need for rebooting. Eventually when the percentage used display reduced slowly from 50% to about 40% all functions began working as expected.

None of my other 3 DVR+ units contained more than 40% usage and they have never locked up, although they each eventually seem to stop their ability to pause or skip back until rebooted since this latest software update.

Please let me know if this behavior matches anyone else.
This is very odd! I’ve not had any issues like this in 124R, although the USB HDD is less that 20% used. To occur on 4 units is really weird! It would be very interesting if you would revert one of the units to version 114R to see what happens. If you do, use the USB drive that’s having the most issues.

Is the USB disk going to sleep while the DVR+ is active? 124R definitely has an issue with that when waking up from standby mode, but once the USB disk spins up the problem goes away. I’m just wondering if somehow your disk(s) is going to sleep when it should be wide awake?

I don’t currently have a USB HDD that’s approximately 50% used in order to see if what you describe can be duplicated, so I’m recording a bunch of HD content to get a 1TB disk to that level, and will see what happens. I’ll report what I find. I don’t think your problem is from hitting the maximum number of recordings (999), as the DVR+ should tell you that, unless that warning is buggy in 124R.

In the meantime, can you attach one of the USB drives, that’s exhibiting these symptoms, to a computer and check the free space on them, precisely how they are partitioned, and if there’s any unallocated space?

If on a Windows computer, use DVR+ Lister to reveal which recordings the DVR+ recognizes (it gets that data from the record_event_index file on the 1st partition, not from a directory listing), and compare them to the files actually on the drive. The program will also give you a file count. You’ll need Ext2Fsd for Windows to recognize the Linux formatted USB HDD.
post #9395 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 01:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Exclamation Run MHDD !

Quote:
In the meantime, can you attach one of the USB drives, that’s exhibiting these symptoms, to a computer and check the free space on them, precisely how they are partitioned, and if there’s any unallocated space?
Guys, why spend your time for less ? - First, you'll need to check the DRIVE itself; use MHDD or Victoria, run Scan+Remap and post SMART data before and after the scan here.

Last edited by P Smith; 08-21-2015 at 11:30 PM.
post #9396 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Thank you very much, order will be placed shortly, along with a 'Sony CR2032 Pack' for remotes/Garage Door openers etc.

Art
Just be aware that you need to order 2 of these "combiners". One for input from the router and another for the equipment end.

You'll likely need a multi-pack of short ethernet cables also on Amazon. I've found the 3 foot length works well in this configuration.

And couplers for each end.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Exten...ethernet+cable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	combiner.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	899762  
pachinko likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #9397 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Guys, why spend your time for less ? - First, you'll need to check the DRIVE itself; use MHDD or Victoria, fun Scan+Remap and post SMART data before and after the scan here.
Nothing wrong with a bit of disk diagnostics, but having 4 drives suddenly go bad at the same time is highly unlikely. That's why I'm puzzled, unless of course there is something odd about a nearly half full disk in 124R. It isn't taking much time on my part since I realized that I had 450GB of recordings (482 recordings), and the associated data files, on the computer, and all I had to do overnight was to replace the few files on the 1TB drive with them (quite easy since Ext2Fsd v0.62).

The DVR+ is showing 47% used. So far, no hang up, no black screen, no problems pausing Live TV, skipping backward, skipping forward, recording or stopping recording with the red record button, and the recordings were actually made. Will continue recording, and test it every now and then. emeryh, please provide any new info that you may think of (especially what was done a few steps prior, and if anything else is recording).

For the records, the DVR+ is the 16GB model, running version 124R, and the USB HDD is a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra.
post #9398 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
The DVR+ is showing 47% used. So far, no hang up, no black screen, no problems pausing Live TV, skipping backward, skipping forward, recording or stopping recording with the red record button, and the recordings were actually made. Will continue recording, and test it every now and then. emeryh, please provide any new info that you may think of (especially what was done a few steps prior, and if anything else is recording).
Thanks for the suggestions. I am still diagnosing the problem by comparing these DVR+ units. Another unit that does not pause or skip back live TV unless rebooted is using a Toshiba 1TB drive. It has not yet exhibited a total lockup even though it is 62% full.

Instead of rebooting it again I deleted several series of recordings and waited until the percentage used displayed about 52%. At that point the Pause and Skip back functions began working again.

It appears the problem may be related to a certain number of files recorded that begins to interfere with the ability to record live TV in the background. A greater number of recordings seems to result in a lockup.
Before the black screen lock up on the system I reported yesterday it eventually began to prevent the ability to use the red "Record" button as well as the ability to record previously scheduled programs. These symptoms have not shown up on any of the other DVRs yet.

I attempted to install Ext2Mgr and DVR+ Lister, but could not get Ext2Mgr to activate. It might be related to my use of Windows 10, but I don't want to begin chasing down another rabbit hole at this time.

All 4 of the DVR+ units are now operating as they should as a result of limiting the number of recordings saved.

A few more bits of interest:
  • I deactivated all the linear TV apps long ago.
  • Two units are connected by ethernet wiring and two are by WiFi.
  • The USB drives were spinning when these problems were active (verified by feeling them vibrate).
  • I haven't seen a warning of approaching the 999 file limit - I doubt any unit is holding as many as 600 recordings.
post #9399 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 PM

Liked: 11
CM DVR+ burn show to DVD disc

Is there a way to burn a DVD of a particular show from the CM DVR+ external HD? I've tried reading most of the posts using advanced search, but I don't see anything conclusive (yet). Thanks for your help, Jeff
post #9400 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is, but you need a PC and some software:

• Ext2Fsd
  • Pachinko's DVR+ Lister
  • Software to burn a DVD (I use ImgBurn, which is free)
  • DVD authoring software (I use DVD Styler, also free)

You may also want video editing software to trim the video and remove commercials. I use AVIDemux (free) but VideoReDo, although not free, is well-regarded.

Warning: this can turn into a hobby!
blakepro, pachinko and Wm58 like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-21-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: See below.
post #9401 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

• Ext2Fsd
  • Pachinko's DVR+ Lister

You may also want video editing software to trim the video and remove commercials. I use AVIDemux (free) but VideoReDo, although not free, is well-regarded.

Don't forget Ext2Fsd.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9402 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good point. Pachinko lists Ext2fsd as required for DVR+ Lister, but better to give a complete list to start with, rather than having the OP download and install DVR+ Lister, only to learn that yet another program is needed! Sorry about that!

Besides, technically DVR+ Lister isn't required, if you don't mind finding your recordings by trial and error but Ext2fsd is still required (at least if you're running Windows).
pachinko likes this.
post #9403 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

• Ext2Fsd
  • Pachinko's DVR+ Lister

Quote:
Good point. Pachinko lists Ext2fsd as required for DVR+ Lister, but better to give a complete list to start with, rather than having the OP download and install DVR+ Lister, only to learn that yet another program is needed! Sorry about that!

Besides, technically DVR+ Lister isn't required, if you don't mind finding your recordings by trial and error but Ext2fsd is still required (at least if you're running Windows).
I would also mention that folks on a Linux box (or any box that can read a EXT disk) can also copy the TS files to their computer. No Ext2Fsd required in Linux, but no help from DVR+ Lister.
post #9404 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM

DVD+ to DVD

^@JHBrandt et al: OK, I think I got the first three bullets, but what is the 'DVD authoring software' for?
I don't need to edit out commercials.
Can you please give me a little more detail? i.e. step-by-step??
Thanks for your help. Jeff
post #9405 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryh View Post
...I attempted to install Ext2Mgr and DVR+ Lister, but could not get Ext2Mgr to activate. It might be related to my use of Windows 10, but I don't want to begin chasing down another rabbit hole at this time.
I completely understand your not wanting to dig into Ext2Fsd! That said, I know for certain that it’s not a Windows 10 issue. Ext2Fsd version 0.62 is working on my Win 10 Home x64 box. The only thing that I may have done differently than you was I installed it using “Run as Administrator”. I don’t know if that makes a difference, but it was required in older Ext2Fsd versions for Windows 8.

Exactly what do you mean that you could not get Ext2Mgr to “activate”? Do you mean getting Ext2Mgr to assign drive letters? I can understand that as it’s definitely not intuitive.

My DVR+ is still not exhibiting any of the issues you are having. Will keep testing.
post #9406 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Red face The New CM Enhanced DVR+ Remote

I got two of the new enhanced DVR+ remotes today. Here's what it looks like.

This remote uses two AAA batteries and the IR signal is much stronger than that of the thin original remote that came with the DRV+. With the original remote I needed a direct line of sight between the remote and the DVR+ from 10 feet away for it to work. With the new remote I can block the direct line of sight path and aim it at the ceiling and it still works. I don't know how long the batteries will last, but it's far easier to change AAA batteries than the button type in the original remote.

One thing that's a bit strange is the power button. It has an Off side and an On side and can be programmed to work with the TV, DVR+, and some audio device. It comes programmed for Samsung TV's by default and I programmed it to also work with my Samsung sound bar. While the On/Off function works with all three devices volume and mute functions don't work with the sound bar. There's more programming instructions I haven't tired, so maybe it's just a matter of programming.

The TV and DVR+ must use separate codes for Off and On as you can press the on button when the TV and DVR+ are on and they stay on, but the sound bar can be toggled on and off with just the On side of the power button. That means you can get it out of sync with the TV and DVR+ so that when you turn on the TV and DVR+ the sound bar turns off.

No button layout devised by man is going to suite everyone and I would like the number keys at the top as I use those less than most other functions. Also the source button is the tinny thing at the top and just to the left of the Off/On button. The other tinny button to the right is the Setup button, but at least you have to hold it in for a few seconds to put the remote in program mode.

The remotes were $29 each with $3 for shipping from Channel Master.

Last edited by MacLorry27; 08-21-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
post #9407 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1947 View Post
^@JHBrandt et al: OK, I think I got the first three bullets, but what is the 'DVD authoring software' for?
I don't need to edit out commercials.
Can you please give me a little more detail? i.e. step-by-step??
Thanks for your help. Jeff
Good question! Unfortunately, you usually can't simply copy .ts files to a DVD and play them. For most DVD players, you need to format the video files a certain way.

That's the main function of DVD authoring software. It creates the weird file and directory structure expected by a standard DVD player. It also lets you create things like menus for your DVD, and if necessary, downscales the video from HD (1080i or 720p) resolution to ED (480p) or SD (480i). (Remember, the DVD format predates HDTV.)

Now if you have a Blu-Ray player, you can probably skip all this nonsense, just burn your videos straight to either a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc, and play them as if they were on a (small) HDD. But for a typical DVD player, authoring software is a must.

I'm placing some more detailed instructions in a "spoiler" tag so those who aren't interested won't have to scroll past them. Click "Show" to read:

Spoiler!
post #9408 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLorry27 View Post

Thanks for the review, and the photo. These aren't bad remotes and the ability to program an audio device, as well as separate on/off buttons, are unexpected bonuses.

As you noted, separate on/off buttons won't work with every device; some devices are toggle-only. But if separate on/off buttons do work, at least you won't have much of a "sync" problem. It's always possible for a device to "miss" a button press and get out of sync momentarily, but you just have to press "on" or "off" again to set things right. Even a toggle-only device will toggle back, and the other device(s) will remain on or off as desired. The only time you'd need to get up and press the power button on one of the devices itself is if you had both a TV and an audio device that were toggle-only, and they got out of sync with each other. So that's not as bad as I thought.

BTW, I can aim my original "thin" remote at the ceiling and my DVR+ will respond. But those original remotes are notorious for bad battery contacts and for running down the batteries quickly, either of which could dim the IR signal considerably. The new remotes probably won't have those issues.

One thing I'd like to know: do you have 124R firmware and any weak AAA batteries to try? I'm wondering if the claimed "low battery warning" works with the new remotes. (We've already had reports that it doesn't work with the original ones.)
pachinko likes this.
post #9409 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Just be aware that you need to order 2 of these "combiners". One for input from the router and another for the equipment end.

You'll likely need a multi-pack of short ethernet cables also on Amazon. I've found the 3 foot length works well in this configuration.

And couplers for each end.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxmoral-Exten...ethernet+cable
Thank you very much for this reply. Expecting delivery of *one* 2-Port RJ45 Splitter/Combiner tomorrow.

Now, after seeing your post, I see that '*' on Amazon site which said *Note: Sold individually, this item must be used in pairs for each installation, one on each end of the cable.

I am no where near my Router/WiFi Transmitter which is over 40' away across three rooms with Vaulted Ceiling, so there's no practical way to string cable to HT. TV does excellent on its built in WiFi, testing a full 20Mbps of my 20 Mbps DSL Service. There is the BD in the stack below (now immediately below the DVR+) with a built-in WiFi that does Ok. Couple (Aluminum) shelves below is the Pioneer AVR which is strictly Ethernet if you want internet, it has a USB next to the LAN Jack that is strictly for powering a WiFi to Ethernet Adapter that must be used if you want to use WiFi. I had previously done without internet on the Pioneer.

I knew I did not want to add any sort of USB WiFi for my DVR+ so I bought this NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter and connected it to the DVR+ with a three foot cable. This placed it close to the stack and a Tower Speaker and although it worked fine, its "WLAN" LED would often show amber meaning weak signal. I also had concern that being 'so close' its stray RF might degrade the signal for the existing built-in WiFi's. TV is most important with all its apps and BD's is usually (rarely since XM got connected) just used for Pandora (or Amazon's Streaming if TV's app acts up).

I then got this 16FT 5M Cat6 Flat Premium Ultra Snagless 550 MHZ RJ45 Male to Male LAN Network Ethernet Patch Cable to move the Adapter across to an interior wall away from other HT Electronics and get solid Green WLAN. The flat cable was easy to hide at carpet edge.

Since it was "Male to Male" patch cable, I also got this RJ45 Splitter 1to2 Way LAN Network Ethernet Adapter as a "Female to Female" Connector and planned to split the Ethernet to feed both the DVR+ and Pioneer, which did not work at all.

Removing the Pioneer's Ethernet from the "splitter" made the DVR+ Happy again.

I plan to use a "Female to Female" to place that one 2-Port RJ45 Splitter/Combiner Cable at the far end of my 16' RJ45 Male to Male LAN Network Ethernet Patch Cable and then see if the DVR+ will allow the Pioneer to share, if not, then the Pioneer will have to continue to do without internet service. Internet into Pioneer would allow internet 'radio' stations, Pandora, iHart, Spotify, Roku and of course, make it part of my Network, but it's done without all that for six months. BD is HDMI into Pioneer for best audio which is ARC HDMI into TV for Video, this allows best sound quality as TV passes it's best sound from OTA Tuner and apps and less quality from its HDMI/USB Feeds (including the DVR+). This is true with HDMI/ARC (best) or Optical out connections. Pioneer ignores digital/optical when HDMI is available, or I would use Optical from DVR+ to it.

I thank you for posting that Graphic showing proper use of two Splitter/Combiner units, but my WiFi Adapter has only one RJ45 Female Jack, so I can't imagine using two units in my layout.
Art
post #9410 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Arghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put a new router in today and naturally it has a different IP address than the one I took out. I'm using powerline adapters for the DVR+. So I try to change the new routers ip address to what the old one was and it won't let me. ASUS AC1900 T-Mobile Personal CellSpot. I got it new for free.

I reset the powerlines back to factory defaults when they wouldn't connect. I didn't look at the DVR+ first to see what IP address it had BECAUSE it should have DUMPED it when I disconnected the powerlines, right? So I spent quite some time trying to get them to connect in the router even after taking them back to virgin state. Still a no go, so I did a cold reboot (holding the power button down) with no Ethernet cable attached. Still has the old IP address locked in

Is this a case for a factory reset on the DVR+? Or do I have yet another crazy issue no one else has seen?

BTW, that new CM remote has the <</Play/>> and Pause in the right place now!
post #9411 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
I put a new router in today and naturally it has a different IP address than the one I took out. I'm using powerline adapters for the DVR+. So I try to change the new routers ip address to what the old one was and it won't let me. ASUS AC1900 T-Mobile Personal CellSpot. I got it new for free.

I reset the powerlines back to factory defaults when they wouldn't connect. I didn't look at the DVR+ first to see what IP address it had BECAUSE it should have DUMPED it when I disconnected the powerlines, right? So I spent quite some time trying to get them to connect in the router even after taking them back to virgin state. Still a no go, so I did a cold reboot (holding the power button down) with no Ethernet cable attached. Still has the old IP address locked in

Is this a case for a factory reset on the DVR+? Or do I have yet another crazy issue no one else has seen?

BTW, that new CM remote has the <</Play/>> and Pause in the right place now!
On the DVR+, did you go to Menu, Settings, Network Setup?
post #9412 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yup. I do a setup again and wait. It then says connected by Ethernet, but disconnected on internet and the other 1. Then I go to stb health and see "cannot retrieve data" on everything listed on the second page along with the old IP address on the first page. From what I see, the DVR+ see's the connection but thinks the old IP is the one being used. If I could get that old one out, it should connect like before. Oh! Maybe put the wireless dongle back in and let it connect that way, then yank it and go Ethernet? Maybe that will clear it. I'll try tomorrow because I have a severe frustration attack about to happen Still need to eat dinner too.
post #9413 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
Yup. I do a setup again and wait. It then says connected by Ethernet, but disconnected on internet and the other 1. Then I go to stb health and see "cannot retrieve data" on everything listed on the second page along with the old IP address on the first page. From what I see, the DVR+ see's the connection but thinks the old IP is the one being used. If I could get that old one out, it should connect like before. Oh! Maybe put the wireless dongle back in and let it connect that way, then yank it and go Ethernet? Maybe that will clear it. I'll try tomorrow because I have a severe frustration attack about to happen Still need to eat dinner too.
As I was reading the first sentence in your reply, I was going to suggest unplugging the Ethernet cable and plugging it back in, but switching to WiFi and back to Ethernet seems even better. Aw, don't give up now!!!
post #9414 of 16648 Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Nothing wrong with a bit of disk diagnostics, but having 4 drives suddenly go bad at the same time is highly unlikely. That's why I'm puzzled, unless of course there is something odd about a nearly half full disk in 124R. It isn't taking much time on my part since I realized that I had 450GB of recordings (482 recordings), and the associated data files, on the computer, and all I had to do overnight was to replace the few files on the 1TB drive with them (quite easy since Ext2Fsd v0.62).

For the records, the DVR+ is the 16GB model, running version 124R, and the USB HDD is a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra.
Sure, it would be very rare case if all four drive exhibit same symptom, but checking HDD itself it's nothing to lost.
Perhaps decades of experience in IT and EE bending my opinion to that side where a professional begin talking
Pretty old adagio: "Start troubleshooting from basic root - be sure all components does functioning, before you'll look at the problem from customer's perspective".
post #9415 of 16648 Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLorry27 View Post

This remote uses two AAA batteries and the IR signal is much stronger than that of the thin original remote that came with the DRV+. With the original remote I needed a direct line of sight between the remote and the DVR+ from 10 feet away for it to work. With the new remote I can block the direct line of sight path and aim it at the ceiling and it still works. I don't know how long the batteries will last, but it's far easier to change AAA batteries than the button type in the original remote.

One thing that's a bit strange is the power button. It has an Off side and an On side and can be programmed to work with the TV, DVR+, and some audio device. It comes programmed for Samsung TV's by default and I programmed it to also work with my Samsung sound bar. While the On/Off function works with all three devices volume and mute functions don't work with the sound bar. There's more programming instructions I haven't tired, so maybe it's just a matter of programming.

The TV and DVR+ must use separate codes for Off and On as you can press the on button when the TV and DVR+ are on and they stay on, but the sound bar can be toggled on and off with just the On side of the power button. That means you can get it out of sync with the TV and DVR+ so that when you turn on the TV and DVR+ the sound bar turns off.

No button layout devised by man is going to suite everyone and I would like the number keys at the top as I use those less than most other functions. Also the source button is the tinny thing at the top and just to the left of the Off/On button. The other tinny button to the right is the Setup button, but at least you have to hold it in for a few seconds to put the remote in program mode.

I'm totally supporting your opinion about the non-typical button's layout! I did check my 20+ remotes collection and found no one have numbers at bottom "busiest" part of a remote.
I would ask CM to demote the designer .

BTW, how the Audio/CC do toggling CC ?
post #9416 of 16648 Old 08-22-2015, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm totally supporting your opinion about the non-typical button's layout! I did check my 20+ remotes collection and found no one have numbers at bottom "busiest" part of a remote.
I would ask CM to demote the designer ....
5 of my remotes have the number buttons at the bottom (see pic), 2 are near the bottom (not shown), and 5 have them at the top of the remote (not shown). I prefer the numbers at the bottom. I find the TiVo remote to be the best. Peanut shaped, and short enough to reach the top buttons without having to stretch too much (it's 7" long, and 2" wide). The "enhanced" DVR+ remote is quite similar to the TiVo remote, although I don't know it's physical dimensions.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #9417 of 16648 Old 08-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
BTW, I can aim my original "thin" remote at the ceiling and my DVR+ will respond. But those original remotes are notorious for bad battery contacts and for running down the batteries quickly, either of which could dim the IR signal considerably. The new remotes probably won't have those issues.

That prompted me to try the ceiling bounce test with my second original thin remote that hasn't been used much. I found that it works pointing at the ceiling while my other much used remote doesn't, so it's likely just a battery issue.

Quote:
One thing I'd like to know: do you have 124R firmware and any weak AAA batteries to try? I'm wondering if the claimed "low battery warning" works with the new remotes. (We've already had reports that it doesn't work with the original ones.)

I do have the 124R firmware, but no weak AAA batteries to try. I believe the low battery warning is initiated in the remote itself rather then the DVR+ detecting weak IR signals. If so, then maybe the original thin remote doesn't support that feature. I'll post more about it if I see the warning as I use the new remote and drain the batteries that came with it. That might not take too long given the backlighting comes on with any key press, and per the instructions, there's no way to shut that feature off.

The remotes came with 3 sheets of instruction covering use and programming. I finally go to the last sheet and was able to program the remote to control the volume (and mute) of my Samsung sound bar. To recap, the new remote now controls my DVR+, Samsung TV and Samsung sound bar as far as turning them all on/off, selecting the source and controlling volume and mute. I still need the TV and sound bar remotes for other functions, but it's nice to have some basic control over the system all from one remote.
post #9418 of 16648 Old 08-22-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
BTW, how the Audio/CC do toggling CC ?

Pressing the Audio/CC button pops up a menu where you can select various options. The button is also used during programming of the remote to control volume and mute of an audio device like a sound bar.
post #9419 of 16648 Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 AM

@JHBrandt et al:
In your last response to me you state "Now if you have a Blu-Ray player, you can probably skip all this nonsense, just burn your videos straight to either a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc, and play them as if they were on a (small) HDD. But for a typical DVD player, authoring software is a must."

I understand the contents/ file structure of a typical DVD and use imgburn to create .iso backups to play on my oppo 93. What is it about a Bluray player that I can just burn the CM DVR+ file(s) to a DVD or Bluray disc and play them on a bluray player? A Bluray player recognizes the .ts files?

Thanks, Jeff
post #9420 of 16648 Old 08-22-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Remote collection

Of my remotes with number keys, it's more or less an even split between top, middle and bottom number pad location. Clicking the thumbnail to full-screen expand inverts it so I uploaded the upside down second thumbnail.

Note the CM DVR+ Remote stuck across the top of the Motion Tablet Keyboard wrist-pad mouse/L&R click buttons, it remains right there 99% of the time as I usually prefer the Bluetooth 'Intellimouse' w/five-click buttons at bottom for Tablet Control. I have four tiny Scotch 'stick' pads on CM DVR+ Remote's 'feet' so it doesn't slide around and buttons command DVR+ without ever having to pick it up. It is Primary Control whenever TV/DVR+ is watched.

Spoiler!

Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remotes-Inverted.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	901386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remotes.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	901394  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page