Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #9481 of 16648 Old 08-29-2015, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Test it by MHDD program! Or use Victoria u der Windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 16648 Old 08-29-2015, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburrell View Post
I've searched through the most recent threads, and can't seem to locate a solution. (I'm sorry if it's there and I just missed it.) I haven't tried a factory reset yet, but that's next on my list of things to try. If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know.

Thank you!
This sounds like the problem I've experienced with all 4 of my DVR+s. In my cases the problem is software related - 124R because all 4 were fixed by deleting between 5-10% of the recordings on each drive. All units have been working perfectly for the past week or so.

I don't know exactly what caused the lockups. It could have been either too many files recorded, too large a percentage of the drive in use, or possibly the recording of some show(s) that somehow interfered with the DVR+.

My drives included 2 WD 2TB units, a Seagate 2TB, and a Toshiba 1TB. All are USB powered external drives.

My fixes must be considered a "band aid" since I expect the problems to return once these drives are again holding more recordings.

Please let us know what your results are.
pachinko likes this.
post #9483 of 16648 Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryh View Post
This sounds like the problem I've experienced with all 4 of my DVR+s. In my cases the problem is software related - 124R because all 4 were fixed by deleting between 5-10% of the recordings on each drive. All units have been working perfectly for the past week or so.
That worked! The pause function is working fine now. My wife and I deleted a bunch of recordings and got it down to 47%. It was 55%. Thank you for the solution!
JoeKustra and pachinko like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 16648 Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Given that it's happened to five different DVR+'s owned by two different people, I think this has to be considered a newly discovered 124R bug. When the percentage of your HDD in use gets "too high," your DVR+ may start locking up when pausing live TV.

"Too high" isn't well-defined but seems to be around 50%, at least with 1 TB drives.

Just checked and mine is only at 34%, so hopefully, I still have some breathing room.
post #9485 of 16648 Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Given that it's happened to five different DVR+'s owned by two different people, I think this has to be considered a newly discovered 124R bug. When the percentage of your HDD in use gets "too high," your DVR+ may start locking up when pausing live TV.

"Too high" isn't well-defined but seems to be around 50%, at least with 1 TB drives.

Just checked and mine is only at 34%, so hopefully, I still have some breathing room.
That would be a disaster, not just a bug
Kelson and SirCrow like this.
post #9486 of 16648 Old 08-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

I have a couple USB powered 1t/2t WD Passports that I run until full. Never experienced this. I don't delete anything. Just record until full, move to Plex, then clear and start again.
post #9487 of 16648 Old 08-30-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
That would be a disaster, not just a bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I have a couple USB powered 1t/2t WD Passports that I run until full. Never experienced this. I don't delete anything. Just record until full, move to Plex, then clear and start again.
Luckily for both CM and us, it's clearly not happening most of the time. But if/when it does happen, it seems to happen at around the 50% full mark.

Speculation: It might be more likely to happen if you were at/over 50% when you upgraded from 114R. Don't remember anyone yet reporting it starting to happen again after deleting some files and getting back up over 50%. Maybe there was some subtle change in how the DVR+ uses its 999 "slots" between 114R and 124R that can cause this problem after an upgrade, but deleting enough files prevents it from happening again.

Who knows? We'll just have to keep an eye out for more problems of this sort.
post #9488 of 16648 Old 08-30-2015, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
There was someone reporting lock ups with the 114.
post #9489 of 16648 Old 08-30-2015, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes; that was SirCrow, IIRC. He was actually hoping that 124R would cure his lockups. Which it might, for all I know.

Other DVR+'s have experienced lockups too. A few, including myself, have experienced at least one lockup watching "linear TV," which doesn't even use the HDD. So there isn't one single cause of DVR+ lockups.

I just noticed a pattern with two different users (one with four DVR+'s) reporting lockups on 124R when pausing live video with various 1-2 TB HDDs that were around 50% full, and both curing the problem by deleting some recordings. Hopefully the cure is permanent and won't recur for either of them when their HDD usage gets back up over 50% again. On that question we'll just have to wait and see.
post #9490 of 16648 Old 08-31-2015, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I have a Seagate 1TB USB drive that is 71% full and pause/skip back/FF works fine on 124R for me.
I did have a problem with 2 specific channels freezing when paused when I was still on 114 though.
I chalked it up to something about the transport stream on those 2 channels being different.
I'm glad to say those problems are gone for me.
post #9491 of 16648 Old 08-31-2015, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Something to consider re:lockups/freezes on the DVR+

The only time I ever experienced lockups or freezes or the DVR+ being generally unresponsive was while I was on 114R. But I don't think the version had anything to do with.

Try this -- the next time you use your remote (the one that came with the DVR+, not the new over-priced one), notice how bright the red light on the remote is with each press of a key. Now, the next time you have a freeze or a lockup, take a look at the red light. Whenever I experienced the freezes, that red light was noticeably dimmer when I pressed any key. Solution that worked for me: change the remote's batteries (actually, I started using cardboard shims inside the remote and got 3 months more use out the crappy batteries that came with the remote). Once the new batteries were in, there have been no lockups at all.
post #9492 of 16648 Old 08-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Big props for your work!!! I look forward to future updates......

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidias View Post
Jailbreak update:

tHe #Illuminati TeAM has made huge progress in what will be a public released JB for DVR+. We have successfully gotten XBMC/Kodi installed with add-one like Genisis, SportsDevil, and NaviX! This is a huge step forward for us in getting additional Live Streams, Movies and TV shows on the DVR+.

We don't have a timeline for the release, as we are still working though some technical challenges, and packaging the JB firmware. We also recognize the "cat and mouse" game from CM, so are we aren't letting the cat out of the bag.

cheers SAIDias
post #9493 of 16648 Old 08-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Of all the hardware manufacturers, I would think CM would be least likely to get upset by a successful re-purposing of their iron. They make 100% of revenue off the hardware sale, so anything that causes more units to be sold has to positively impact their bottom line.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #9494 of 16648 Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
The only time I ever experienced lockups or freezes or the DVR+ being generally unresponsive was while I was on 114R. But I don't think the version had anything to do with.

Try this -- the next time you use your remote (the one that came with the DVR+, not the new over-priced one), notice how bright the red light on the remote is with each press of a key. Now, the next time you have a freeze or a lockup, take a look at the red light. Whenever I experienced the freezes, that red light was noticeably dimmer when I pressed any key. Solution that worked for me: change the remote's batteries (actually, I started using cardboard shims inside the remote and got 3 months more use out the crappy batteries that came with the remote). Once the new batteries were in, there have been no lockups at all.
Good point. At least some of the reported "lockups" haven't been lockups at all but merely weak remote IR. If your DVR+ stops responding to the remote but the power button on the DVR+ itself works, check your remote as explained above.

That said, some reported lockups have been genuine: the power button didn't work either, and they had to pull the plug, or if lucky hold the power button until a warm boot started, to get their DVR+ back. (And of course deleting a few recordings wouldn't fix a balky remote.)

But I agree that if anyone experiences an apparent lockup, the remote (and especially its batteries) is the first thing they should check. Don't start deleting recordings before you rule out the obvious!
post #9495 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Lockups in 114R and 124R

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburrell View Post
That worked! The pause function is working fine now. My wife and I deleted a bunch of recordings and got it down to 47%. It was 55%. Thank you for the solution!
Even if the deletion of enough recordings helps, that would be, at best, one of those aforementioned Band-Aids (brand name). I was at about 60% the last time a lockup happened. This was a couple days after I upgraded to 124R. I'll try to delete enough shows to make a difference. Who knows, it may help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
There was someone reporting lock ups with the 114.
Quote:
Yes; that was SirCrow, IIRC. He was actually hoping that 124R would cure his lockups. Which it might, for all I know.

Other DVR+'s have experienced lockups too. A few, including myself, have experienced at least one lockup watching "linear TV," which doesn't even use the HDD. So there isn't one single cause of DVR+ lockups.

I just noticed a pattern with two different users (one with four DVR+'s) reporting lockups on 124R when pausing live video with various 1-2 TB HDDs that were around 50% full, and both curing the problem by deleting some recordings. Hopefully the cure is permanent and won't recur for either of them when their HDD usage gets back up over 50% again. On that question we'll just have to wait and see.
As you now know, the upgrade did NOT make the freezing go away. Imagine my disappointment, especially because FW 124R also didn't fix many of the things I hated about 114 (I won't add the R again, as all the FW numbers end with an R).

Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post

Quote:
Good point. At least some of the reported "lockups" haven't been lockups at all but merely weak remote IR. If your DVR+ stops responding to the remote but the power button on the DVR+ itself works, check your remote as explained above.

That said, some reported lockups have been genuine: the power button didn't work either, and they had to pull the plug, or if lucky hold the power button until a warm boot started, to get their DVR+ back. (And of course deleting a few recordings wouldn't fix a balky remote.)

But I agree that if anyone experiences an apparent lockup, the remote (and especially its batteries) is the first thing they should check. Don't start deleting recordings before you rule out the obvious!
Very interesting, but, in my case, it has to be something else. I wish CM would tell me what it is, or release a fix for it.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #9496 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Of all the hardware manufacturers, I would think CM would be least likely to get upset by a successful re-purposing of their iron. They make 100% of revenue off the hardware sale, so anything that causes more units to be sold has to positively impact their bottom line.
Except that it might increase their customer service costs.
post #9497 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I had an interesting situation last night I haven't heard of happening before. I purchased another device to receive TV content. The wife asked if this would disrupt her recording this evening and I assured her it wouldn't. (It was a season finale!) I even checked and it was scheduled. I changed TV inputs (electronically) to the new box. About 20 minutes after what should be the start of her recording I noticed the red light wasn't on, it was a dim blue. Sure enough I checked and it did not start recording. I can't think of a reason for this to happen unless it was because the DVR+ just wasn't connected electronically to the TV. Even that doesn't make sense. BTW the HDD is about 50% full and I am running the 124 firmware. Fortunately my other DVR+ was set to record. Anyone with any ideas?
post #9498 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
Except that it might increase their customer service costs.
I would expect it to reduce customer service costs -- who calls tech support for help with a jailbroken device?
post #9499 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I would expect it to reduce customer service costs -- who calls tech support for help with a jailbroken device?
I take it you don't work in customer service?
post #9500 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
dvr+

I have the DVR+ with built in 1gb drive. It locks every couple of days. I have to hold the power button to force a reboot. I also think it is the 124r version. I have had my unit for 4 weeks.
post #9501 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs27 View Post
I have the DVR+ with built in 1gb drive. It locks every couple of days. I have to hold the power button to force a reboot. I also think it is the 124r version. I have had my unit for 4 weeks.
Well-if you device was jailbroken you could setup a recurring reboot every 3 days to prevent this during the middle of the night when not used.......haha
post #9502 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs27 View Post
Please provide more data. For example, what were you and the DVR+ doing when it “locked”. Was the DVR+ in Standby Mode. Was it recording or not. Have you checked not only the batteries, but the battery connections in the Remote Control. Is the red backlight under the Remote’s Power button dim or bright? What’s the percentage used of the disk space. And anything else that you can think of.

Have you read any of the posts, within the past couple of weeks, about lock ups? Do any seem to match your condition?

Don’t guess about the version number, go through the menu and find out what version is running. You can also have the DVR+ check for a new version.
JoeKustra, SirCrow and pilotart like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 09-01-2015 at 03:52 PM.
post #9503 of 16648 Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Well-if you device was jailbroken you could setup a recurring reboot every 3 days to prevent this during the middle of the night when not used.......haha
These day people obsess with cellphones and use same paradigms for everything, hehe.
post #9504 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
I had an interesting situation last night I haven't heard of happening before. I purchased another device to receive TV content. The wife asked if this would disrupt her recording this evening and I assured her it wouldn't. (It was a season finale!) I even checked and it was scheduled. I changed TV inputs (electronically) to the new box. About 20 minutes after what should be the start of her recording I noticed the red light wasn't on, it was a dim blue. Sure enough I checked and it did not start recording. I can't think of a reason for this to happen unless it was because the DVR+ just wasn't connected electronically to the TV. Even that doesn't make sense. BTW the HDD is about 50% full and I am running the 124 firmware. Fortunately my other DVR+ was set to record. Anyone with any ideas?
I can say for certain that the DVR+ does not have to be connected to a TV in order to record a scheduled recording. Mine (running 124R) is connected to the TV through a remote controlled HDMI switcher, and quite often the switcher is set to another device, including last night when it recorded what it was supposed to record. In fact, even with the HDMI cable disconnected from the DVR+, scheduled recordings take place (I just tested that).

Perhaps you dislodged the antenna cable from the DVR+ when attaching the new device?... I scheduled a recording to start 5 minutes later, and record for 5 minutes, put the DVR+ into standby mode, then disconnected the coax cable from the antenna. The light was dim blue. At the appropriate time, the light flashed bright red, turned dim red, and a moment later went dim blue (that's bad). I waited 5 minutes in order to reach the end of the scheduled period, and took the DVR+ out of standby mode. The screen was black, and a few moments later a message appeared that the device was receiving a weak or no signal (see attached pic). The recording was NOT made! So, that's my guess, you dislodged the antenna cable. Please let us know if that's the case (or could be the case).

Edit: I performed another experiment as follows:

In a second experiment, I scheduled a short recording to start a few minutes later, put the DVR+ into standby mode (dim blue light), and unplugged the antenna (still a dim blue light). Like the first experiment, when the recording was scheduled to start, the light flashed bright red, quickly went dim red, then dim blue (all within 1 or 2 seconds). This time I immediately reconnected the antenna (within 2 seconds), then took the DVR+ out of standby mode. The show was playing, but was not recording. This demonstrates that it only takes a brief moment of no signal for the DVR+ to give up on the recording, and it does not begin recording when the signal is restored (a flaw IMHO). I suspect the same thing would happen with a really “weak signal”, even if only momentary (at the wrong time).

Perhaps this explains why, every now and then, someone reports a recording was not made? Maybe the antenna was rotated for a particular channel, not realizing that would cause a poor signal on a channel that’s scheduled for recording. Or maybe an aircraft disturbed the signal at the wrong moment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR+ Signal Lost Message  (antenna was disconnected).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	920634  
JoeKustra and blakepro like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 09-02-2015 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added 2nd experiment
post #9505 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The antenna was not disconnected. During the time it was supposed to be recording I electronically switched back to check status and the show was playing. It just wasn't recording. I set the DVR to record last night while we were watching the other box and the recording started like it should. The DVR just missed the one show and has worked fine before and after this one incidence. I guess I will just blame it on gremlins.
post #9506 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Overall I'm quite happy with my DVR+. It has the 124R firmware. It has "locked up" twice since installing 124R but not with the indications given by other users. In my case I received the error "Signal Strength is Weak, You can use the other functions of the DVR+" while watching an OTA broadcast. On the first time I couldn't get the DVR+ to do anything, so I rebooted the DVR+. On the second time I was finally able to change the channel which caused the error to go away. It's puzzling in the fact that the Signal strength and Quality were both at 100% for that channel (Checked after reboot and after channel change). I've never seen it below 100% for that channel. Curious.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #9507 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
Overall I'm quite happy with my DVR+. It has the 124R firmware. It has "locked up" twice since installing 124R but not with the indications given by other users. In my case I received the error "Signal Strength is Weak, You can use the other functions of the DVR+" while watching an OTA broadcast. On the first time I couldn't get the DVR+ to do anything, so I rebooted the DVR+. On the second time I was finally able to change the channel which caused the error to go away. It's puzzling in the fact that the Signal strength and Quality were both at 100% for that channel (Checked after reboot and after channel change). I've never seen it below 100% for that channel. Curious.
weird, I had the same trouble for the first time last night (had it about 10 weeks, using 124r the entire time). I had an ota channel up and started flipping through the dvr+ settings menu and looked under health at when the last rovi update was - it was coming up on just about 24 hours previously so was expecting the update shortly. I don't remember doing anything else with the box att although I might've been but when I first saw "signal weak" it was right about when the rovi update should occur except the message didn't seem consistent with a problematic guide update (ethernet).

there wasn't a way to remove "signal" but I could still change channels, pop up channel guide, etc. if I cleared the guide the message would popup again like it was stuck but only visible when nothing else was on the screen.

I don't remember the order but I forced a guide update (which didn't fail) and either before that or after the "signal" message went away and never came back.
post #9508 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 275
I just got through updating to the 124R software version because I saw that there was an option to refresh the guide data. I was out of town and noticed that several of the programs I had scheduled by using the guide never recorded, and have also noticed that "Unknown Event" frequently displays until I select "Watch this Program", then the information populates the guide. But in looking through the settings I never saw an option to refresh the guide data. Am I missing something? BTW, I have been very happy with the DVR+ 1T since I bought it last month.

Thanks.
post #9509 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I just got through updating to the 124R software version because I saw that there was an option to refresh the guide data. I was out of town and noticed that several of the programs I had scheduled by using the guide never recorded, and have also noticed that "Unknown Event" frequently displays until I select "Watch this Program", then the information populates the guide. But in looking through the settings I never saw an option to refresh the guide data. Am I missing something? BTW, I have been very happy with the DVR+ 1T since I bought it last month.

Thanks.
Yep, you're missing it. You have to look harder and deeper. See post about a week ago: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post36833034
post #9510 of 16648 Old 09-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Yep, you're missing it. You have to look harder and deeper. See post about a week ago: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post36833034
OK, thanks. I found it, but I'm only receiving guide data from the broadcasters. It's strange that the data can show up in the guide, but a program scheduled from the guide doesn't record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page