Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4192Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9571 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
I've had the new Channelmaster DVR+ for a week or so, and today I noticed a strange new problem arise: quick-artifact blips occuring every 10 to 45s or so sporadically regardless of input antenna or wifi. Has anyone had this in their CM DVR+? I'd seen this behavior before in an old since gone Phillips DVD player I owned that would occur when I paused the unit about the 4th year out of 6. It didn't bother me too much as it would taper off after powering off.

This seems like a component power or issue perhaps something not filtering properly.

I do not understand a week old unit doing this though, and am awaiting response from CM, but am not happy about it. At $288, this unit should be solid for at least 5 years. I'm still under the money-back window, and will probably return depending heavily on the OEM response. I might understand this performance if it was a sub $100 unit, but at their price point this is piss-poor.
I had a cyclic condition like this a couple of years ago with my TV. I finally tracked it down when a radio in another room, that just happened to be on at the same time as the TV, started having static precisely when the TV pixilated. Convinced it wasn't the TV, I began looking for something that was emitting electromagnetic disturbances. When I unplugged an electric blanket, the issue on the TV and Radio went away. Replugged the blanket, and the issue returned. Repeated several times, and every time with the same result. Left the blanket unplugged for a day or so and the issue did not return. But if reconnected the issue returned after the blanket warmed.

My recommendation is to look for such an cause, even though it may not seem likely. Maybe something new in the house, equipment or cables moved around, etc? Could it be coming from a neighbor? Does this occur using the tuner in the TV, or if the DVR+ is moved to another TV? Or maybe it's just a bad unit. If it is, I don't think anyone else on this thread has had such an issue.
JoeKustra and JHBrandt like this.
pachinko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9572 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I've had a DVR+ for a couple months (since the last sale) and have been mostly happy with it. Recently the LED started going off completely if the DVR plus was off but recording. I was at less than 40% full on a 1.5TB drive when this started happening. I've also had it freeze up on startup a few times. That seems to be happening more and more but that started when the drive was probably around 30% full. The TV channel will play just fine but you can't do anything else. Usually powering off will fix it, though sometimes I have to turn it off a few times before it will work. I've waited quite awhile so it doesn't seem like it's just that the DVR+ is doing something else and has to finish that first. The remote battery is still plenty strong. I'm not necessarily asking for help, just thought I'd report it.
jeff275 is offline  
post #9573 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
artisticimaging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DS9
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
I've had the new Channelmaster DVR+ for a week or so, and today I noticed a strange new problem arise: quick-artifact blips occuring every 10 to 45s or so sporadically regardless of input antenna or wifi. Has anyone had this in their CM DVR+? I'd seen this behavior before in an old since gone Phillips DVD player I owned that would occur when I paused the unit about the 4th year out of 6. It didn't bother me too much as it would taper off after powering off.

This seems like a component power or issue perhaps something not filtering properly.

I do not understand a week old unit doing this though, and am awaiting response from CM, but am not happy about it. At $288, this unit should be solid for at least 5 years. I'm still under the money-back window, and will probably return depending heavily on the OEM response. I might understand this performance if it was a sub $100 unit, but at their price point this is piss-poor.

Is this what you are experiencing?


artisticimaging is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9574 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mickinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NUTMEG STATE
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
I've had the new Channelmaster DVR+ for a week or so, and today I noticed a strange new problem arise: quick-artifact blips occuring every 10 to 45s or so sporadically regardless of input antenna or wifi. Has anyone had this in their CM DVR+? I'd seen this behavior before in an old since gone Phillips DVD player I owned that would occur when I paused the unit about the 4th year out of 6. It didn't bother me too much as it would taper off after powering off.

This seems like a component power or issue perhaps something not filtering properly.

I do not understand a week old unit doing this though, and am awaiting response from CM, but am not happy about it. At $288, this unit should be solid for at least 5 years. I'm still under the money-back window, and will probably return depending heavily on the OEM response. I might understand this performance if it was a sub $100 unit, but at their price point this is piss-poor.
Save yourself the hassel return it and get a TIVO for $300. lifetime no fees,https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/supersavings

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 09-18-2015 at 09:30 AM.
mickinct is offline  
post #9575 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff275 View Post
I've had a DVR+ for a couple months (since the last sale) and have been mostly happy with it. Recently the LED started going off completely if the DVR plus was off but recording. I was at less than 40% full on a 1.5TB drive when this started happening. I've also had it freeze up on startup a few times. That seems to be happening more and more but that started when the drive was probably around 30% full. The TV channel will play just fine but you can't do anything else. Usually powering off will fix it, though sometimes I have to turn it off a few times before it will work. I've waited quite awhile so it doesn't seem like it's just that the DVR+ is doing something else and has to finish that first. The remote battery is still plenty strong. I'm not necessarily asking for help, just thought I'd report it.
The Front Panel LED issues is known by CM, and they have stated it will be fixed (again) in the next update. It was supposed to be fixed in 124R, but it still occurs, although it seems not as often as in 114R. A warm or cold boot should fix it for a while.

I'm not sure what you mean by "freeze up" if you can still view a TV channel. If you mean the DVR+ won't record, or you get a disk error right after coming out of standby mode (blue light), than that may be the known issue in 124R where the DVR+ gets confused when an attempt is made to access the USB storage before the disk wakes up. If that's the case, after coming out of standby mode, don't do anything that tries to access the USB HDD for about 15 or 20 seconds.
pachinko is offline  
post #9576 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "freeze up" if you can still view a TV channel. If you mean the DVR+ won't record, or you get a disk error right after coming out of standby mode (blue light), than that may be the known issue in 124R where the DVR+ gets confused when an attempt is made to access the USB storage before the disk wakes up. If that's the case, after coming out of standby mode, don't do anything that tries to access the USB HDD for about 15 or 20 seconds.
I mean that all I can do is watch TV on the channel it happens to be on, no other buttons on the remote work except for the power button.
jeff275 is offline  
post #9577 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff275 View Post
I mean that all I can do is watch TV on the channel it happens to be on, no other buttons on the remote work except for the power button.
Ok, so what's playing is through the DVR+'s tuner (not the TV tuner), and it's stuck on the channel it happens to be playing, not completely frozen like a couple of others have reported when they pause Live TV.

In addition to the POWER button working on the remote control, do the INPUT, TV POWER, and VOLUME buttons work (assuming you set that up)? And is this under version 124R?

Have you tried waiting half a minute after taking the DVR+ out of Standby Mode before pressing any buttons on the remote control?

While we shouldn't have to do this, try a Cold Boot. That is, put the DVR+ into Standby mode (dim blue light), then unplug the power. Wait 10 seconds (or longer if you'd like), restore power, and let it boot (at some point, it will look like it's doing nothing for about 15 seconds, so be patient). You won't loose any settings, scanned channels, or schedules (unlike a Factory Reset), or any recordings. This action has resolved many issues, at least in the short run. It should also resolve the Front Panel light issue (at least for a while).
pachinko is offline  
post #9578 of 16706 Old 09-18-2015, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
RE: Artifacts

Thanks for the various responses.

As I'd thought, I powered off the unit for the night and artifact blipping or stuttering went away on turning on after about 14 hrs of being off. Its a quick image stutter that occured on any playback mode regardless of input or time ( if paused, playing, or in a menu even).

Pachi nko, I dont think this is an interference issue, I think it may be a faulty unit - as in some componentry in the unit may be suspect or near not performing at intended level. The only thing nearby that could interfere maybe would be a subwoofer.

Artisticimaging, no it does not freeze but rather an artifact stuttering image of the current content occurs. I believe it's the a quick stutter of the image output. The sound though stays clean.

Mickinct, thanks for the option I may look into it.

CM support recommended a factory reset - sounds pretty standard - problem is the unit is off the shelf only a week. There should be no need for factory resetting, but I'll play the game...even though I have to spend 30 min to reset up the unit - a further waste of my time.
pc95 is offline  
post #9579 of 16706 Old 09-19-2015, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Paul210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It appears that I'm getting full guide data now for not only my location, Dayton, OH, but Cincinnati as well. I was previously only getting PSIP data for a day or so with the Cincinnati stations. I wonder if Rovi changed something. Anyone else seeing more data from stations not in their immediate market?

Panny Plasma Relic: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
Paul210 is offline  
post #9580 of 16706 Old 09-19-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
CM support recommended a factory reset - sounds pretty standard - problem is the unit is off the shelf only a week. There should be no need for factory resetting, but I'll play the game...even though I have to spend 30 min to reset up the unit - a further waste of my time.
Yeah, it's their standard! If you haven't done it yet, cold boot it, which only takes a couple of minutes. If that doesn't work, try their recommendation.
pachinko is offline  
post #9581 of 16706 Old 09-20-2015, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,888
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post
It appears that I'm getting full guide data now for not only my location, Dayton, OH, but Cincinnati as well. I was previously only getting PSIP data for a day or so with the Cincinnati stations. I wonder if Rovi changed something. Anyone else seeing more data from stations not in their immediate market?
I'm in DFW but Rovi includes listings for KLTV/7 out of Tyler, TX in many DFW Zip codes. A few folks in the easternmost DFW Zip codes can get KLTV (I'm just barely on KLTV's fringe), but the listings are available even if I use a Carrolton Zip code that would have no hope of receiving KLTV at all.

Oddly, though, I don't get listings for KXII/12 out of Madill, OK; even though it's in a nearly identical situation to KLTV/7.

In July, Windows Media Center switched from Zap2it to Rovi as their guide source; that may account for some of the changes we're seeing.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #9582 of 16706 Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Ok, so what's playing is through the DVR+'s tuner (not the TV tuner), and it's stuck on the channel it happens to be playing, not completely frozen like a couple of others have reported when they pause Live TV.

In addition to the POWER button working on the remote control, do the INPUT, TV POWER, and VOLUME buttons work (assuming you set that up)? And is this under version 124R?
I couldn't get those functions set up when I first set up my DVR+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Have you tried waiting half a minute after taking the DVR+ out of Standby Mode before pressing any buttons on the remote control?

While we shouldn't have to do this, try a Cold Boot. That is, put the DVR+ into Standby mode (dim blue light), then unplug the power. Wait 10 seconds (or longer if you'd like), restore power, and let it boot (at some point, it will look like it's doing nothing for about 15 seconds, so be patient). You won't loose any settings, scanned channels, or schedules (unlike a Factory Reset), or any recordings. This action has resolved many issues, at least in the short run. It should also resolve the Front Panel light issue (at least for a while).
Yes I have tried waiting a minute. I've tried waiting much longer. I have done multiple cold boots but I can't say exactly how long it's taken for the problem to reappear after that.
jeff275 is offline  
post #9583 of 16706 Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Greasemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post
It appears that I'm getting full guide data now for not only my location, Dayton, OH, but Cincinnati as well. I was previously only getting PSIP data for a day or so with the Cincinnati stations. I wonder if Rovi changed something. Anyone else seeing more data from stations not in their immediate market?
Like JHBrandt, I am also in the D/FW area (on the good side, not the Dallas side ) and have had issues with the PSIP data. I contacted Channel Master via e-mail and had a fairly involved exchange over a couple of weeks. The solution they offered that seems to have solved the problem for me was to change the Zip Code for the DVR+ to other Zip Codes in the broadcast market. When I asked if they meant the Zip Codes for the broadcaster's offices or their transmitters the reply was both. By the time I read that e-mail I had already plugged in a Fort Worth Zip Code which seemed to fix the problem, so I haven't tried the broadcaster's Zip Codes yet. Since PSIP data is broadcast with a station's signal, I don't know how changing the Zip Codes fixed the problem, but it did. I'm getting almost 48 hours of guide data for most of the channels that provide it. Unfortunately, most of the LPTV stations don't provide any of it and some of the independent stations just provide title information or the vague message "Regularly scheduled programming". For planning recordings that are several days to two weeks out I still do recon using zap2it.com to get an idea of what is coming down the pike. Rovi used to provide an online guide, but it's gone and I always seemed to prefer zap2it for some reason.
Greasemonkey is offline  
post #9584 of 16706 Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
...For planning recordings that are several days to two weeks out I still do recon using zap2it.com to get an idea of what is coming down the pike. Rovi used to provide an online guide, but it's gone and I always seemed to prefer zap2it for some reason.
Here's another online guide to consider: http://www.titantv.com
pilotart likes this.
RTPVid is offline  
post #9585 of 16706 Old 09-22-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 6,888
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2769 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Since PSIP data is broadcast with a station's signal, I don't know how changing the Zip Codes fixed the problem, but it did.
The Zip code controls what you get from Rovi - but any station listings you don't get from Rovi will show PSIP data instead.

PSIP data is a lot shorter than Rovi's data, but sometimes it's more accurate. It'd be nice if you could pick your preference on a station-by-station basis, so that you could get the longer Rovi data, but the upcoming 12-72 hours would be replaced by PSIP if that were the more accurate listing source for that station.

But I'm not expecting that "enhancement." It'd be nice for readers of this forum, but for the average user, it'd just be another thing to mess up, resulting in more calls to CM customer service.
JHBrandt is online now  
post #9586 of 16706 Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
RE: Artifact Blipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
I've had the new Channelmaster DVR+ for a week or so, and today I noticed a strange new problem arise: quick-artifact blips occuring every 10 to 45s or so sporadically regardless of input antenna or wifi. Has anyone had this in their CM DVR+? I'd seen this behavior before in an old since gone Phillips DVD player I owned that would occur when I paused the unit about the 4th year out of 6. It didn't bother me too much as it would taper off after powering off.

This seems like a component power or issue perhaps something not filtering properly.

I do not understand a week old unit doing this though, and am awaiting response from CM, but am not happy about it. At $288, this unit should be solid for at least 5 years. I'm still under the money-back window, and will probably return depending heavily on the OEM response. I might understand this performance if it was a sub $100 unit, but at their price point this is piss-poor.
I am having the same problem with artifact blipping. My unit is only a week old. The blipping happens when turning channels, after exiting the guide, or randomly during playback with internal or external drive. CM support instructed me to do the following:

Step 1 Go To: Menu>DVR>DVR Setup>Check Disk (After it runs a disk check, 1 of 2 pop up messages will appear. It'll either confirm that any errors on the disk were fixed or it'll say that it wasn't able to run the check disk function) No matter which message you see, continue to step 2.
Step 2 Go To: Menu>DVR>DVR Setup>Re-Initialize Storage Device (If you are successful re-initializing the storage device, you should be able to start recording again. Unfortunately, the fix will end up clearing the hard drive in which, all your saved recordings will be deleted).
*If you cannot re-initialize the hard drive (aka storage device), go to step 3.
Step 3 (if necessary) Go To: Menu>Settings>Factory Reset>proceed to reset your DVR+ to factory settings. (Your DVR+ will reset and when it boots back up, you'll have to go through the setup wizard again which includes rescanning channels, adding your zip code, and time zone. When your DVR+ completes the channel scan and you are seeing the local TV channels on your screen, go back and try step 1 and step 2 again.)
*If the problem still exists after going through the outlined steps at least 2 times, let us know and we can discuss what's next.
jericko76 likes this.
stonerb is offline  
post #9587 of 16706 Old 09-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Member
 
scooterbum46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Looks like I may have received a bad unit...
No setup wizard, just a black screen (it's an actual HD signal, just black, blank screen) . If I do a cold boot, I get quick blue, then Red for about 30 seconds - with the DVR+ logo, then no light for about 30 seconds, then flashing blue for 5 seconds, then solid bright blue. I assume that's when the wizard would start. Remote lights up, but no activity using the remote... Anyone ever had this scenario?
scooterbum46 is offline  
post #9588 of 16706 Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbum46 View Post
Looks like I may have received a bad unit...
No setup wizard, just a black screen (it's an actual HD signal, just black, blank screen) . If I do a cold boot, I get quick blue, then Red for about 30 seconds - with the DVR+ logo, then no light for about 30 seconds, then flashing blue for 5 seconds, then solid bright blue. I assume that's when the wizard would start. Remote lights up, but no activity using the remote... Anyone ever had this scenario?
The front panel light sequence you've described is not correct. After the light went dark for that long period, the screen should have shown the Channel Master name and three gears grinding on each outer, with a bright blue flashing light for about 20 seconds (and the screen resolution may have toggled a couple of times). Since mine is already set up, when booting completes the light went to dim blue (Standby Mode), and of course the TV has a black screen. If yours hadn't already been setup, it should have started the setup wizard.

Please provide more information when you post. For example:

1. Is this a refurbished model?
2. Is this the 16GB model, or the model with the 1TB internal HDD?
3. Is the blue front panel light dim blue or bright blue after the Cold Boot?
4. Is the backlight on the remote a bright red or faint red? If held down, it should be flashing fairly rapidly, although not very noticeable. The flashes are much more noticeable with weak batteries or poor connections.
5. What happens when the red power button on the remote is pressed? Does the front panel light change brightness?

My only suggestion if you cannot see the DVR+ menu (in order to do a Factory Reset), is if you have a USB HDD attached, disconnect it and try a Cold Boot without it. And maybe disconnect the WiFi dongle or Ethernet Cable.
pachinko is offline  
post #9589 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 08:38 AM
Member
 
scooterbum46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
The front panel light sequence you've described is not correct. After the light went dark for that long period, the screen should have shown the Channel Master name and three gears grinding on each outer, with a bright blue flashing light for about 20 seconds (and the screen resolution may have toggled a couple of times). Since mine is already set up, when booting completes the light went to dim blue (Standby Mode), and of course the TV has a black screen. If yours hadn't already been setup, it should have started the setup wizard.

Please provide more information when you post. For example:

1. Is this a refurbished model?
2. Is this the 16GB model, or the model with the 1TB internal HDD?
3. Is the blue front panel light dim blue or bright blue after the Cold Boot?
4. Is the backlight on the remote a bright red or faint red? If held down, it should be flashing fairly rapidly, although not very noticeable. The flashes are much more noticeable with weak batteries or poor connections.
5. What happens when the red power button on the remote is pressed? Does the front panel light change brightness?

My only suggestion if you cannot see the DVR+ menu (in order to do a Factory Reset), is if you have a USB HDD attached, disconnect it and try a Cold Boot without it. And maybe disconnect the WiFi dongle or Ethernet Cable.
Thanks for the quick reply.... I've been on forums for too many years and shoulda known better than to skip the details..
1: Better not be a refurb, paid new price (wanted 16 GB so ordered direct)
2: 16 gig, have a 3 TB WD external power to hook up, but not hooked up yet.
3: After the complete cycle, bright blue.
4: Backlight on remote is bright red, didn't notice any flashing (that would put it in train mode wouldn't it?)
5: When pressing the red power button, no change in status, stays bright blue....

I tried booting w/o cables attached, no wifi - direct to ethernet switch which was verified actives, as was antenna feed.. Also tried a variation of reboot that involved holding power button and then plugging power supply back in (typical for lots of hardware, causes hard reset, but I guess not on this box)...

Power up cycle is as I described and never got the setup Wizard, only screen I saw was the DVR+ logo... I've been called out of town unexpectedly, so will have to wait until the weekend or Monday to go back at it, have put a message in to Channel Master .. After 40+ years in IT, and more than that dinking around with electronics, hitting a device with "infant mortality" is not altogether unexpected......
scooterbum46 is offline  
post #9590 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,821
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 492
DOA - demand CM for replacement
P Smith is offline  
post #9591 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
artisticimaging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DS9
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
scooterbum46
Must be DOA, but you might check your HDMI cable and connection.
pachinko likes this.
artisticimaging is offline  
post #9592 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
wiscojim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Follow up to posts 9564 & 9565 regarding the DVR+ not pausing or recording on channel 5.1 (CBS).

Regarding restoring the pause and recording functions by re-scanning the channels. This was only a temporary fix. After setting up one of my DVR+ units to record several programs on CBS over the last 8 days, I just caught the DVR NOT recording a scheduled program on that channel. Again it would not pause or allow me to start a recording. Checking back in the schedule, it missed all 8 CBS programs scheduled to record over the last week. All of them showed as "failed" in the history. Re-scanning the channels did restore the pause feature and the ability to start a recording today, but I have no idea if it will continue to work.

In the other DVR+ unit that was also affected last week, today the CBS channel would pause and start recordings, but I don't know if it would have continued to if it was ever used on that channel. This second DVR+ is only used for watching/recording the PBS channels here.

.
wiscojim is offline  
post #9593 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Member
 
scooterbum46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm using a 2015 JU5500 series Samsung.. CM tech suggests "a compatibility issue with the TV you're using and the software version that's currently loaded on the DVR+" I've got several HDMI sources driving this TV and haven't had an issue yet. I'm suspecting DOA too, but will try a different TV .....Gonna be tough changing software versions when you can't get to setup.... and yes, all connections HDMI, antenna and ethernet have been checked. Will report back when I have more results..
scooterbum46 is offline  
post #9594 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pachinko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbum46 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.... I've been on forums for too many years and shoulda known better than to skip the details..
1: Better not be a refurb, paid new price (wanted 16 GB so ordered direct)
2: 16 gig, have a 3 TB WD external power to hook up, but not hooked up yet.
3: After the complete cycle, bright blue.
4: Backlight on remote is bright red, didn't notice any flashing (that would put it in train mode wouldn't it?)
5: When pressing the red power button, no change in status, stays bright blue....

I tried booting w/o cables attached, no wifi - direct to ethernet switch which was verified actives, as was antenna feed.. Also tried a variation of reboot that involved holding power button and then plugging power supply back in (typical for lots of hardware, causes hard reset, but I guess not on this box)...

Power up cycle is as I described and never got the setup Wizard, only screen I saw was the DVR+ logo... I've been called out of town unexpectedly, so will have to wait until the weekend or Monday to go back at it, have put a message in to Channel Master .. After 40+ years in IT, and more than that dinking around with electronics, hitting a device with "infant mortality" is not altogether unexpected......
Not seeing the gears grinding on themselves is troubling, unless that doesn't happen before the unit is set up. Anybody else remember the gears upon first boot?
The front panel light being bright blue indicates it's not in Standby Mode, and there should be a picture. Even though the unit put the logo on the TV during boot up, if you have another HDMI cable, try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterbum46 View Post
I'm using a 2015 JU5500 series Samsung.. CM tech suggests "a compatibility issue with the TV you're using and the software version that's currently loaded on the DVR+" I've got several HDMI sources driving this TV and haven't had an issue yet. I'm suspecting DOA too, but will try a different TV .....Gonna be tough changing software versions when you can't get to setup.... and yes, all connections HDMI, antenna and ethernet have been checked. Will report back when I have more results..
Fortunately, reinstalling the software is not that hard. I've included instructions below for reverting to an older version, but it works for the the current version. You just have to download 124R from CM's web page: http://support.channelmaster.com/hc/...oftware-Update, and put it on a USB stick (should be an empty stick, and should be formatted FAT32).

That said, you could try forcing the DVR+ to reinstall version 124R using your Ethernet connection on the DVR+. Steps "g" and "h" (see instructions below on installing an old version) describe how to force the DVR+ into a Maintenance Reset (probably what you were trying to do by holding the power button and connecting power). I just did those two steps (without a USB Stick), just to see what happens. I left the WiFi dongle plug in, and the USB HDD connected, and after the DVR+ complaining a few times (I just let it go) it finally got a Internet connection and downloaded the current software. Below a pic of it downloading (see attached pics for other messages it displayed). The "update" completed without issue (about 10 minutes), and when the DVR+ rebooted, and went though the sequence you've described, plus the grinding gears image I've described, and stopped with the unit in Standby Mode. Since you're using Ethernet, yours should be much smoother and faster. I would definitely give this a try before boxing it up for return, unless you just don't trust the unit. If you have any trouble without having version 124R on a USB Stick, I'd download that version, put it on a Stick and try it that way. For anyone else thinking about doing this, the device did NOT loose anything (the Rovi Guide, the Recordings, the Recording Schedules, etc are all unharmed).





Installing an old Update (should work just as well for the current version (124R):
  • Installing an old DVR+ Software Update is not a straight forward process, as the DVR+ will reject it in favor of the installed version. But it can be done, following the steps below. This procedure has been reported to successfully revert from DVR+ version 124R to 114R, and 111R to 108R, so is likely to work in all cases, at least through DVR+ version 124R. I believe it was AVS Forum member rbpratt541 who first described this procedure in an AVS Forum post on 11/12/2014 at 10:37am (central). Thanks rbpratt541! I believe this has been referred to as a "Maintenance Reset".

    Of course, you'll need a copy of the old software, and hopefully you have it in you private stock somewhere, a really good practice since CM removes outdated versions from their web page as soon as they post the newest version. If you don't have a copy, an AVS Forum post on 06-11-2015 at 7:42PM (central) has a link (to the host dropbox) where many versions can be found. The link opens a Dropbox page with links to many DVR+ software updates. If Dropbox asks you to sign up, or log-in, you don't have to do that, just click the "X" button on the popup to close it, then click on the update you'd like to download. If that's no longer available, search the rest of the Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread. If still not found, post a plea for the needed version and maybe someone will be able to help.
  • Ensure a USB Thumbdrive is formatted in FAT32. Other formats will be rejected.
  • Copy the older software update onto the Thumbdrive. It MUST be in the root directory, and MUST be the only DVR+ update in the root directory.
  • Put the DVR+ in Stand-by mode (dim blue light).
  • Unplug the power cord (or power supply, whichever is convenient). In a few steps, you'll have to simultaneously restore power and press a button on the DVR+, so keep that in mine when deciding what to unplug.
  • Unplug the WiFi Adapter, or Ethernet cable, to prevent Internet access, and unplug the USB HDD. The HDMI cable, and Antenna Lead can remain connected.
  • Plug the USB Thumbdrive, containing the old Software Update, into the DVR+.
  • Depress and Hold the front panel button, and restore electrical power.
  • The front panel light will flash blue, and red for a second. When the light goes out, immediately release the button, count 3 seconds, push the button again, and release.
  • The TV should show the update in progress.
  • When done, the DVR+ will restart automatically. The screen may go black for about 15 seconds, so be patient. Note: It has been reported that this sometimes fails. If that happens, connect the Thumbdrive to a computer, check for a folder named 'core dumping', and delete the folder. As already mentioned, ensure the Thumbdrive is formatted as FAT32. Repeat the process.
  • When complete, remove the Thumbdrive and reconnect the USB HDD (both can be done while the DVR+ is powered), and follow the instructions to reconnect the USB HDD.
  • Reconnect the WiFi Adapter, or the Ethernet cable, and follow the on screen instructions to get Internet communications working.

Note:
To prevent the DVR+ from eventually forcing an update to the current version, the DVR+ must be denied access to Internet address tr50.dishaccess.tv. That's done in your router's software, which varies from router to router.


Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reset Mode - No USB Stick - WiFi - Download in Progress.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	960378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reset Mode - No USB Stick - WiFi - Upgrade in Progress.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	960386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reset Mode - No USB Stick - WiFi - Upgrade Success.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	960394   Click image for larger version

Name:	CM Grinding Gears.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	960402  
Paul210, jericko76, r3r3r and 1 others like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-21-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added note about blocking tr50.dishaccess.tv.
pachinko is offline  
post #9595 of 16706 Old 09-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Member
 
LA2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DVR+ Remote Control Navigation

I have the original remote for my DVR+. I've had the DVR+ for a little less than a year and just returned from a long summer trip. So I'm just getting back to remembering how to use the DVR+ functions.

I'm not sure but I seem to recall that the color buttons (red, green yellow, blue) used to perform different functions depending on where you were in the menus. When in the guide, you could advance the timeline by a full day. Or when in the DVR list, you could advance to show scheduled programs or recorded shows.

Now all the four button seem to do (no matter where you are in the menus) is open the guide on the last channel listed (for 3 buttons) or go to the channel master internet channels.

I'm wondering did something change with one of the recent updates or am I just imaging that it used to work differently.

Seems very strange that I can't advance the guide more than one time slot at a time or that the only way to see scheduled programs is to go through the menu button and make about 5 selections.

Also seems very strange to have four buttons that don't really do anything or that do the same thing as other buttons. There is already a dedicated guide button, why have the four color buttons do that same thing.

Can anyone help point me to what I might be missing?

Thanks.
LA2NV is offline  
post #9596 of 16706 Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
frank70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post
I'm wondering did something change with one of the recent updates or am I just imaging that it used to work differently.

Seems very strange that I can't advance the guide more than one time slot at a time or that the only way to see scheduled programs is to go through the menu button and make about 5 selections.
With the latest firmware, they moved the function to page horizontally through the guide to the fast-forward/rewind buttons, and to skip by days through the guide to the skip-forward/skip-backward buttons (this is more in line with the way other DVRs function anyway). To see scheduled programs, press the DVR button, and then press fast-forward twice. Yes, they did change, but I think for the better. The colored buttons never were easy to remember.
frank70 is offline  
post #9597 of 16706 Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
P Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Mediterranean Sea
Posts: 3,821
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
... The colored buttons never were easy to remember.
It was sloppy job of e* SW managers/coders ; by an initial idea of inventing "soft" programmed [colored] buttons (because it will be never enough buttons on any remote to cover all functions) it must be given ONSCREEN hints how you can use tne buttons at each different moment.

ONSCREEN hints!
User must be not forced to remember the all different functions at each different status of DVR - he should have onscreen help.
JHBrandt likes this.
P Smith is offline  
post #9598 of 16706 Old 09-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Arenal04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
With the latest firmware, they moved the function to page horizontally through the guide to the fast-forward/rewind buttons, and to skip by days through the guide to the skip-forward/skip-backward buttons (this is more in line with the way other DVRs function anyway). To see scheduled programs, press the DVR button, and then press fast-forward twice. Yes, they did change, but I think for the better. The colored buttons never were easy to remember.
Version 124R changed the functionality of the colored buttons. Version 114R was the last firmware version that has the original functionality of the buttons. If you want to revert to version 114R, check out pachinko's how-to description a couple of posts prior, #9594 .

If you want to block future automatic updates of your DVR+'s firmware, you'll need to add tr50.dishaccess.tv to the list of blocked URLs in your router.
Arenal04 is offline  
post #9599 of 16706 Old 09-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Member
 
MattFromPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
It was sloppy job of e* SW managers/coders ; by an initial idea of inventing "soft" programmed [colored] buttons (because it will be never enough buttons on any remote to cover all functions) it must be given ONSCREEN hints how you can use tne buttons at each different moment.

ONSCREEN hints!
User must be not forced to remember the all different functions at each different status of DVR - he should have onscreen help.

I get the idea of having generic buttons that can be re-purposed instead of locking the remote to a set state. That's actually a good idea.

But yeah, having to go to the Channel Master site and find the user manual PDF in order to find out what "Yellow" does is not very user friendly. Hints on screen or just a basic reference page in the settings menu somewhere would help. How awesome would that be if you could set them yourself as a setting to a set list of options?

And correct me if I am wrong, it appears that the colored buttons now just jump you to different parts of the guide. Something like the beginning, a quarter way trough, half-way, and three quarters?? I'll have to go find the updated user manual...
MattFromPhilly is offline  
post #9600 of 16706 Old 09-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Member
 
LA2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
With the latest firmware, they moved the function to page horizontally through the guide to the fast-forward/rewind buttons, and to skip by days through the guide to the skip-forward/skip-backward buttons (this is more in line with the way other DVRs function anyway). To see scheduled programs, press the DVR button, and then press fast-forward twice. Yes, they did change, but I think for the better. The colored buttons never were easy to remember.
Got it and it works just as you describe. Thanks for the reply!

And you are right, I could never remember which colored button to press to get it to advance as desired, but worked after a few attempts. This is a much better way.

Thanks.
LA2NV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off