Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 336 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4329Likes

post #10051 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I'm finding the following:

• While the Rovi guide is being refreshed, the code is [001].
  • When the Rovi guide update is complete the code is [404], but the date stamp is correct and the Rovi guide data is complete (out to Dec. 16).
  • After 10 minutes it's still [404].
  • Going to Standby Mode for a moment and it's still [404].
  • After a Warm Boot, the code changes to [102].
  • After another Standby Mode, for just a couple of seconds, the [***] code is replaced with the normal OK!

No clue what's going on, but it appears that a Warm Boot, followed by a quick Standby corrects things. It did this twice with the same results.
You seem to have the best ideas on this problem (as usual). Maybe you could find what IP address the guide comes from and see if you can ping it? You found the update address I think, so the guide address location could be helpful if not today then maybe in the future. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10052 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
16Gb, they seemed to print out shipping labels and slapped them on the box as soon as we placed the orders. I wonder if people that ordered as soon as the sale started got boxes with the older remote and that they ran out out of old remotes for good sometime during the sale (and before I ordered). Or perhaps the packing people on one side had boxes with flat remotes and the packers on the other side had boxes with new remotes and it was just dumb luck which packing group got your invoice. I bought two units and sold the other and told the buyer that it had the newer style remote so now I'm a bit nervous.
I should have mentioned that I also ordered the 16GB model and I did order as soon as the sale started. One of my units is already hooked up and being used and the other one is still in the box (while I figure out what I'm going to do with it). I would assume that these things are all palletized and ready to ship as opposed to having to "assemble" them before shipping, but I could be wrong.

Out of curiosity for my units the UPC sticker says that the box contains two CR2032 batteries, which is obviously the old remote. If you still have the box from your unit it would be interesting to see whether it says CR2032 or AAA batteries.
post #10053 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker007 View Post
Linear TV - if only Channel Master would have integrated Pluto TV!

Not sure if anyone has tried Pluto TV yet or not, but i tried it on my Amazon Fire Stick and not only does it provide amazing linearTV, it has a full integrated Guide for all of the channels. If you have a chance, check it out and imagine how great that would be on our DVR+ CM may have missed the boat....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pluto TV is so much better than the offerings from CMTV. Too bad the guide doesnt scroll over sideways tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10054 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Out of curiosity for my units the UPC sticker says that the box contains two CR2032 batteries, which is obviously the old remote. If you still have the box from your unit it would be interesting to see whether it says CR2032 or AAA batteries.
I will check when I get home......I really should have looked at the model/serial sticker of the unit I sold to make sure it was identical to the unit I opened.
post #10055 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Did a search of the forum and cannot find anything which seems similar.

System: DVR+ with 124R firmware, Channel Master supplied WiFi Adapter, turned on the access to YouTube, etc.

I have synced YouTube with my PC and regularly search for and set to "watch later" certain posts. For months I have been able select one of those posts and to watch lengthy (30min-1hr) YouTube videos with absolutely no problems.

Lately YouTube often does not connect, but if I immediately retry it does.

I will select a file from later in the "watch later" list and it will begin to play. But a very few minutes into the video it will either switch to a blank white screen or to the red YouTube screen. For less than a minute the sound from the video will continue. Then the video will cease and either YouTube aborts, or more commonly it will now try to play the very first video in the "watch later" list. But that video will also stop after a couple of minutes and then attempt to play it again.

I have no reliable fix for this. Sometime a warm reboot (holding the power button) will let the very next attempt with YouTube work, sometimes not. Sometimes a cold reboot (unplugging the device) will make it work, sometimes not.

But even if a reboot works, it only seems to work for one connection to YouTube. I can successfully watch several videos for that session. But when I go back to the OTA channels and later come back to YouTube, I encounter the same problem.

Note that I can view these same YouTube videos on other wifi devices connecting to my same in-house router with no problems, so don't suspect either YouTube or the wifi router.

Any suggestions from you gurus out there?? Please??
post #10056 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks to JHBrandt and Pachinko for checking your units. I have gleaned the same info that Pachinko mentioned (ie. [001] whilst updating, etc.) Yesterday I received a [403], which assuming its an HTTP code means "operation forbidden". FWIW, one of my units is a wired connection, and t'other is wireless (in living rm.). The wired unit only had one day of guide info, until I requested the Rovi update yesterday, and then several days were updated (again, I didn't check the full 2 weeks ahead ), but it ended up with a [404]. I am able to stream video w/no problem, my broadband is Uverse with consistent ~ 12MB download speeds, I have a dozen or so wi-fi devices but really no bandwidth problems for my family's usage.

I am puzzled, initially fearful that Rovi was going to pull the plug on Guide updates, and also possibly that having 2 units from the same (externally visible, ie provided by my ISP) IP address was a problem. Again, this wasn't happening some time back (I know cause I check it periodically), and perhaps it started happening after I added the Channel Master TV (which it turns out I never use). Perhaps a FW update happened without my involvement? Mine are currently at version 124R (0.5).

I'll keep futzing around and post back if I come to any discovery.
Thanks again!
--tim
pachinko likes this.
post #10057 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Mine's also at 124R. I had a "scare" last week, but the Rovi guide now seems normal again.

The guide update codes look like HTTP error codes, but based on last night's experiments, they don't seem to mean the same thing. [404] seems to mean "completed normally," for instance. I've never seen a [403] on my DVR+ though, so that might indicate that something went wrong (even if it doesn't mean "forbidden").

Anyone with multiple DVR+'s hooked to the same router is likely to have the same external IP address for all of them. This seems to be handled just fine; otherwise there would've been a lot of complaints from multiple-DVR+ households before now.
pachinko likes this.
post #10058 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You seem to have the best ideas on this problem (as usual). Maybe you could find what IP address the guide comes from and see if you can ping it? You found the update address I think, so the guide address location could be helpful if not today then maybe in the future. Thanks.
Thanks for the complement, but in this case I can't take full credit as I was just building off of what you reported!

Actually, I believe @Chuck Tribolet first identified the tr50.dishaccess.tv IP for the guide Software Update using Wireshark (see https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post24258554). I don’t have that program, or know what to do with it.

I just turned the DVR+ and found that it automatically updated the Rovi guide after the results that I reported last night, and the [404] is back. The Rovi guide is showing 14 days, so all appears well. I performed a Warm Boot, and [404] was replaced with the normal OK (did not also have to use Standby mode like I did last night). It looks like what you said earlier, that the [404] is meaningless, at least as far as the Rovi guide updating properly.

Last edited by pachinko; 12-03-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fix inaccurate statement
post #10059 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1aust View Post
Thanks to JHBrandt and Pachinko for checking your units. I have gleaned the same info that Pachinko mentioned (ie. [001] whilst updating, etc.) Yesterday I received a [403], which assuming its an HTTP code means "operation forbidden". FWIW, one of my units is a wired connection, and t'other is wireless (in living rm.). The wired unit only had one day of guide info, until I requested the Rovi update yesterday, and then several days were updated (again, I didn't check the full 2 weeks ahead ), but it ended up with a [404]. I am able to stream video w/no problem, my broadband is Uverse with consistent ~ 12MB download speeds, I have a dozen or so wi-fi devices but really no bandwidth problems for my family's usage.

I am puzzled, initially fearful that Rovi was going to pull the plug on Guide updates, and also possibly that having 2 units from the same (externally visible, ie provided by my ISP) IP address was a problem. Again, this wasn't happening some time back (I know cause I check it periodically), and perhaps it started happening after I added the Channel Master TV (which it turns out I never use). Perhaps a FW update happened without my involvement? Mine are currently at version 124R (0.5).

I'll keep futzing around and post back if I come to any discovery.
Thanks again!
--tim
Version 124R (0.5) is the latest update (introduced 6/11/2015) and is what my unit is running.

I haven’t seen [403], but have received [001], and [102] after certain operations.

I’ve NEVER activated CM TV, so I don’t think that’s your issue since my unit is reporting [404] as well.

I had the same thought about maybe the guide is being withdrawn, but now I’m thinking that Rovi changed something and the DVR+ needs an update to take care of the change.

My maximum DL speed is only 6.0Mbps (that’s bits, not Bytes), and the DVR+ is connected using WiFi, traveling about 35 feet, passing through an interior wall, a stair landing, a bookcase, and a printer on the table that touches the router, and I don’t think it’s ever had a WiFi issue.

FYI, the two Rovi updates that I manually performed last night took about 10 to 12 minutes to fully populate the full 14 days, so be patient when checking it.
post #10060 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correction: tr50.dishaccess.tv isn't the host for the Rovi guide; it's the host for the current firmware version. It's therefore the host name you block if you don't want to be "upgraded" against your will. I have it blocked and still get my Rovi guide just fine.

BTW, as annoying as CM is at times, I doubt they'd withdraw the Rovi guide without some advance notice. They did that with the (almost forgotten) CM-7400 DVR.
pachinko and Wm58 like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-03-2015 at 03:19 PM.
post #10061 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Correction: tr50.dishaccess.tv isn't the host for the Rovi guide; it's the host for the current firmware version. It's therefore the host name you block if you don't want to be "upgraded" against your will. I have it blocked and still get my Rovi guide just fine...
Me, too. (But, I'm still at 114R.)
post #10062 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Just to get back to you, my black Friday box also has CR2032 on the label but had the AA battery-based remote. I agree that these boxes were most likely packed weeks/months in advanced (in India).
post #10063 of 17075 Old 12-03-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1aust View Post
Hi, I searched this thread for anything similar, but found nothing. My DVR+ has recently been showing this code instead of [OK] ('Last Rovi Update' under Technical Info -> STB Health). If I manually request an update it fails w/ the same code. Does anyone know anything more about this? It seems it updates the next 2 days or so of Guide info, but not the 2-week extended guide info. If it matters, I have 2 DVR+ on my home network, one upstairs and one in living rm. But AFAIK, this is not related as both were updating the 2-wk guide info fine for the past 6 months or so. I first noticed this about 2 weeks ago. If I reset the DVR+, the code goes to [OK], but I haven't checked whether it actually populates the full 2 weeks ahead . Thanks in advance for any info.
Mine shows "402" and my Rovi Guide looks normal.

I'm connected Ethernet from a WiFi Adapter and don't use any of the CM Streaming, even deleted their Pandora, YouTube and HuLu as those are better served through my BlueRay (Pandora) and TV for the others and much more, including Pluto.

Are the new ones shipping loaded w/124R now?

I'm on its 'shipped with' 115R Firmware and have all the sites recommended here blocked to prevent updates. I love my flat remote which is still on its original CR2032 and I bought a card full of them on Amazon for the cost of one at the drug store.

My Garage door openers use them and have been on their original CR2032's for ten years and I just got a kitchen scale that uses them as well.

129 trouble-free days and counting, just love this device
Art
JoeKustra and MKS13 like this.
post #10064 of 17075 Old 12-04-2015, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The Rovi guide update problem has been an issue, off and on, for weeks now.

If the update completes successfully the status code should be OK, not 404 or 403.

I have noticed that the guide is more likely to update successfully during late night or early morning hours.
That is when I usually have the OK return code.
The 404 code may be a timeout issue where the guide begins to download and then stalls and times out for lack of response from the server.

My hunch is the server providing the updates is overloaded and frequently fails to respond or begins to respond and then times out.
It wouldn't surprise me to find that the server fills several functions unrelated to the CM guide updates and is overloaded for response, bandwidth, or both.
Try to manually force a guide update during off peak hours, 9pm thru 6am, and see if you have better results.
post #10065 of 17075 Old 12-04-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobarino View Post
The Rovi guide update problem has been an issue, off and on, for weeks now.

The 404 code may be a timeout issue where the guide begins to download and then stalls and times out for lack of response from the server.

My hunch is the server providing the updates is overloaded and frequently fails to respond or begins to respond and then times out.
You may be right - it's as good a guess as any. Rovi serves guide info for the DVR+, Dish, M$ XBox OneGuide, and since July, all twelve of us who still use WMC Maybe we WMC users were the last straw for their servers.

However, my DVR+ went to [404] after downloading the full two weeks (at least as far as I could tell - I wouldn't have noticed if I was shortchanged a few hours at the end). FWIW, I also got a [401] on my last CMTV channel list update.

Edit: Today my Rovi guide update reads "OK" as it should. Last update was last night. The CMTV update still reads [401] though.

CM really should publish a list of these completion codes, so we'd know for sure what they mean.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-05-2015 at 06:25 PM.
post #10066 of 17075 Old 12-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I'm on its 'shipped with' 115R Firmware and have all the sites recommended here blocked to prevent updates. I love my flat remote which is still on its original CR2032 and I bought a card full of them on Amazon for the cost of one at the drug store
I'm glad you mentioned that. I had to replace my remote batteries 5 months after I bought the DVR+. I was thinking that the remote was a battery sucker. Good to know the new ones should last a long time.
post #10067 of 17075 Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Annoying DVR+ problems

Today I ran into a couple of annoying problems with my DVR+:

1. No sound on channel 29. This problem only affects that channel, and only when using the DVR+. Every other channel is fine, and channel 29 is fine on other tuners.

I discovered I could fix the sound temporarily by switching the HDMI audio from "Stereo Only" to "Auto Stereo/Surround," or vice versa (depending on how it was set originally). But that doesn't always work. Another fix is to pause the video then resume playback.

Edit: Neither a warm nor cold start fixed this.

2. Some OTA channels in are area have gone dead, so I decided to hide them. I discovered that whenever I hide a channel then return to live TV, I can't change channels! I have to turn the DVR+ off and on first.

3. This has happened twice: when watching a CMTV channel, a box came up telling me there was a problem with my Internet connection. Yet the CMTV channel continued playing just fine! What makes this especially annoying is that there's no way to dismiss the box: pressing OK takes you to the network setup menu, and pressing Back returns to OTA TV - then promply locks up the DVR+, requiring a warm start to recover. Apparently the only thing you can do is live with the annoying box over the picture until you can safely warm-start (which may be a while if you're recording an OTA channel at the time).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-05-2015 at 06:05 PM.
post #10068 of 17075 Old 12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my DVR+ 2-pack yesterday. First, the bad news Neither came with CM's newer backlit remote. Both came with the original remote.

But here's the good news Both came with the "limited edition" 115R firmware. And since I have tr50.dishaccess.tv blocked in my Internet router, they will stay that way. My guess is that if your DVR+ ships with the new remote, it probably has 124R firmware. (Otherwise I don't think the new remote's Audio key will work correctly.)

I haven't had much chance to play with the new boxes yet, but I did discover something: as you may remember, in version 115R and earlier, you delete unwanted channels, while in 123R and later, you hide them. A while back, I complained that you can't hide the channel you're tuned to; you have to get out of the menu, change channels, and get back in again. But it turns out 115R doesn't have this problem; it lets you delete the channel you're tuned to. The DVR+ just does a channel-up if you do this.

Edit: Noticed one other small thing. You may recall that 124R did improve the speed of navigating the menu by removing the "scroll" effect. What I didn't notice at the time is that they also rearranged the four icons: with 115R the first icon is "Search" while with 124R it's "Guide." Really, with 124R "Search" would have made a better default since it no longer has a shortcut key, while "Guide" has six (!) shortcuts. Why would they assume the most likely thing I'll access after hitting "Menu" is the guide?

Actually, with 115R you almost don't need a menu at all: you have the DVR button for the DVR menu (although it takes you directly to Recordings and you have to use the blue button to go to the other parts of the DVR submenu), you have the green button for Search, and of course you have the Guide and Home buttons for the OTA and apps sections of the guide, respectively. Really, they might as well have done away with the top-level menu and made the Menu button go directly to Settings!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-05-2015 at 07:59 PM.
post #10069 of 17075 Old 12-05-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Got my DVR+ 2-pack yesterday. First, the bad news Neither came with CM's newer backlit remote. Both came with the original remote.
Ditto for my two new ones.. But I'm not sure if that is bad news or not?? I haven't had any problems with the remotes, the batteries are cheap (on-line) and with the wife having 2 DVR+ for her use, it is probably easier to have all the same remotes. Ignorance is bliss??
post #10070 of 17075 Old 12-05-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, getting the old remotes certainly isn't "terrible" news - mine, like yours, has given me no trouble (other than the hard-to-open battery cover, but that's easily fixed with a nail file).

The new remotes do have a few advantages:

• Backlit
  • Use ordinary AA batteries
  • Can control an AVR

... but none of those things is a very big deal for me, and the old remotes are a better match for the 115R firmware. So I guess it's more like "slightly disappointing" news; easily made up for by getting the 115R firmware.
pilotart likes this.
post #10071 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm OK with CR2032 batteries.
Go to Amazon and get a bunch of them Cheap.
They normally last a long time, especially if you buy the ones from Energizer or Duracell or the like.
The ones from Abc.Yinzang.Backyard.Co are not particularly reliable.
post #10072 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I've had two of the DVR+ units with the original remotes in heavy daily use for over a year and they are both on their original batteries. The only thing I had to do was bend the battery contacts a little bit when they first seemed like the batteries were weak. I think it's more a case of poor contact rather than heavy battery drain with these.

MKS13 and pilotart like this.
post #10073 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Contacts have been a problem; also, I think some (not all) of the original remotes came with weak and/or old batteries that ran out of juice quickly. Most folks have reported good battery life after replacing the original batteries and/or improving the connection between the batteries and contacts.

Still, there are some advantages of AA vs. CR2032 batteries:

• AA batteries are cheap, widely available, and hold more juice (.100-.450 AH x 3 v = 0.3-1.35 watt-hours for CR2032s; 1.100-3.000 AH x 1.5v = 1.65-4.5 watt-hours for AAs.) OTOH a remote designed for AAs will probably use more juice for things like a back-light, so the overall battery life may not be that different.
  • There are more kinds of AA batteries, including rechargeable and lithium-iron varieties.
  • There's a remote control extender that works by replacing a AA or AAA battery that can't be used with a CR2032-powered remote.

Those are all fairly small things, though. CR2032 batteries work OK and make very thin devices like our DVR+ remotes possible.
post #10074 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 06:41 PM

Can the 'enhanced remote' actually control my tv besides turning it on/off and volume? I want to be in a position to use the tuner in the tv by hitting the 'tv' button and changing channels on the tv then when I want to go back to the dvr+ I can hit input and get back on the hdmi input for the dvr+. It seems as there is no to switch to dedicated 'tv' control and then back to a dedicated dvr/tv control.
post #10075 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM

Sorry for asking two questions back to back.

I noticed that all of my channels from a city about 40 miles away (and out of state in Toledo) are missing rovi data and are only showing PSIP data. Is there a mile range based on zip code for the rovi system? Would selecting a zipcode right in between the Detroit and Toledo markets be a work around? Taking subchannels into account this represents about 20 channels. I have updated the rovi guide a few times but the results are the same.
post #10076 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The "enhanced" DVR+ remote does not do that, but you can get universal remotes that do. To replace a DVR+ remote, you should get a learning remote, because the DVR+ isn't in the codebooks of most universal remotes, so chances are you'll have to teach your new remote all the keys from your DVR+ remote. Here are some learning remotes that work with the DVR+, in order of my personal preference:

1. Dish 20.1 (3 or 4 devices; 4 AAA batteries)
  2. Sony RM-VLZ620 (8 devices; 2 AA batteries)
  3. Philips SRP5107/27 (7 devices; 2 AA batteries)

The "Sat" device button on the Dish remote is reserved for a Dish device and can't be learned, but the other three device buttons can be used for anything. All but the Philips have a separate TV power button so you can turn the TV on or off without having to switch to TV mode first, much like the, um, "classic" DVR+ remote.

Once you make it through the learning process (which admittedly can be a pain), the only thing these don't have is back-lighting.
post #10077 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
Sorry for asking two questions back to back.

I noticed that all of my channels from a city about 40 miles away (and out of state in Toledo) are missing rovi data and are only showing PSIP data. Is there a mile range based on zip code for the rovi system? Would selecting a zipcode right in between the Detroit and Toledo markets be a work around? Taking subchannels into account this represents about 20 channels. I have updated the rovi guide a few times but the results are the same.
The Rovi guide system uses the Zip code to determine your TV market and populates the guide with stations from that market.

The problem is, if you're receiving TV channels from two different markets, there may not be a Zip code that makes everything work. You can try different Zip codes between the two cities and maybe you'll get lucky, but probably you'll just have to settle for the Zip code that gives you Rovi listings for the most channels, and live with PSIP for the rest; unless CM/E* someday update the firmware to let us enter two Zip codes.
post #10078 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
The Rovi guide system uses the Zip code to determine your TV market and populates the guide with stations from that market.

The problem is, if you're receiving TV channels from two different markets, there may not be a Zip code that makes everything work. You can try different Zip codes between the two cities and maybe you'll get lucky, but probably you'll just have to settle for the Zip code that gives you Rovi listings for the most channels, and live with PSIP for the rest; unless CM/E* someday update the firmware to let us enter two Zip codes.

Yeah I tried a bunch of Michigan-based zip codes and always received the Detroit Rovi guide even when the city was less than 10 miles from Toledo. Of course when I try a zipcode from Ohio I get the Toledo Rovi guide.

But believe it or not I tried door number three and solved the problem.....set the box for Canada and used Windsor as the postal code. I now have all of the Detroit and Toledo rovi data in my guide (a couple of sub channels are relying on PSIP but I'm assuming they always did)......ironically one of the Windsor channels is still missing the icon but I'll take it.
JHBrandt and pilotart like this.
post #10079 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Red face Remote

@nmantas
Quote:
Can the 'enhanced remote' actually control my tv besides turning it on/off and volume? I want to be in a position to use the tuner in the tv by hitting the 'tv' button and changing channels on the tv then when I want to go back to the dvr+ I can hit input and get back on the hdmi input for the dvr+.
To do that you could get a "Teachable" Remote, they start at about ten bucks on Amazon and some are lighted. They're also "Programmable", but not all programmable's are teachable.

The Logitech Harmony series are the fanciest of those and I've had the Sony RM-VLZ620 for five years and it works great, no light but easy to 'touch-navigate'. I paid $20 but they're getting close to ten now.

You can do anything possible with any of your IR Remotes with one of those and store them all away and do everything from one remote. In my case, my TV has a Bluetooth Remote (no pointing needed) which I love, but can't teach it DVR+. It's programmable for Direct TV STB's, I need to try some of those and see if DVR+ might respond to its cousin's IR commands.

My DVR+ (115R version) Remote controls TV's On/Off, Mute, Volume and inputs and in turn the TV controls the AVR's On/Off, input, Mute and volume, so in that sense my DVR+ Remote controls my AVR. However to change AVR input to anything but "TV" (or its surround schemes, tone, etc.), I need the AVR Remote. To select DVR+ sound from PCM to DTS, I need the TV's Remote.

Dolby is grayed out on DVR+ input, my AVR ignores Optical Audio whenever there is an HDMI source available.

I like DTS better than Dolby, but if I changed HDMI connection from TV to AVR, I would get best possible sound from DVR+, just like I do with my BlueRay and BlueRay's sound quality makes that worthwhile.

@JHBrandt ???Remote Control Extender??? What's that, a higher output battery?

I keep my DVR+ Remote in my most accessible location (four 1/4" square double-stick pads stick it to my Tablet's keyboard, which is always beside me and thin remote doesn't interfere with typing. That way I don't have to pick it up or point it, just a one finger press to control DVR+ when TV is on. When I end TV time, I do use AVR's remote to change to XM Radio or Swiss Jazz, but before turning off TV and DVR+, I use DVR+ Remote to turn AVR sound down to a sleeping level.
Art
post #10080 of 17075 Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question DVR+ is infuriating lately!

Our DVR+ has been infuriating lately. In the last 2-3 weeks or so, it has:
  • froze up a dozen times
  • thrown a black screen while audio continued, twice
  • suddenly refused to respond to the remote, three times
  • reported discovering a new hard drive three times, though it's never been disconnected
  • named at least three programs by the names of the preceding programs (royally messing up our ability to keep straight what is what)

What in the world is going on lately? We're getting so frustrated! I have no idea what to do except continue to reboot the thing. Software is 124R, Rovi and CM appear to be updating regularly.

Anything worth trying? Something else I should be checking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page