Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 347 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #10381 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Blocking tr50.dishaccess.tv

@pachinko , et al:
Did I do this correctly?? I'm a newbie at this.

Kind Regards, Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blocking.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	1169410  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10382 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
I did the upgrade.
*DVR+ in standby, external hard drive in idle
not sure that a fully understand this issue. the DVR do not send the drive to standby like Windows does. However, if the drive support sleep mode by itself and it's acctivated in the drive firmware, the drive goes into sleep but that was also the case with 124R

*Scheduled recording time arrives
Can you give a little more detail on this one?

*DVR+ times out waiting on the external hard drive to spin up
Yes, this seems to be fixed. Now DVR+ displays a message telling that the drive is initializing, please wait and after few seconds the listing appears.

*Scheduled recording aborts
Can tell yet on this one.
Thanks. I think all four referenced the same issue, as in, first the DVR+ is in standby, second, a scheduled recording time arrives, third, DVR+ times out waiting on the HDD, then finally fourth, the scheduled recording aborts.

So the third part was where the problem used to occur. It sounds like that's been fixed so the whole sequence should work now.

The bottom line is that it looks like E* did spend a little time fixing a few things while they were mostly working on the Sling app. So this upgrade may be worthwhile even if you're not interested in Sling.
post #10383 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Thanks. I think all four referenced the same issue, as in, first the DVR+ is in standby, second, a scheduled recording time arrives, third, DVR+ times out waiting on the HDD, then finally fourth, the scheduled recording aborts.

So the third part was where the problem used to occur. It sounds like that's been fixed so the whole sequence should work now.

The bottom line is that it looks like E* did spend a little time fixing a few things while they were mostly working on the Sling app. So this upgrade may be worthwhile even if you're not interested in Sling.

For me, the upgrade is worthwhile even if I can't access Sling TV. I live in Canada, so Sling TV service is not available here. But the idle drive init bug fix plus the capability to sort the listing with the yellow button is very welcome. I have a 4Tb drive and my kids have loaded it a lot during the Holidays. Having the capability to sort it is great.

The funny thing about Sling TV is that I started the apps and I was not blocked like the pandora and vudu app. If I start Pandora or vudu, I see a message telling me that the service is not available in Canada. However, I don't get this message in Sling app. I'm able to go in the trial windows and see all the channels list. But I did note crate an account to see if I could get it. If it's the case and I would be able to setup an account, we could expect a firmware update very quickly to block access from Canada. When I go on SlingTV web page, I can't even see the channel list and see what is Sling TV. I got a message on the main page telling that the service is not avaible in Canada, thank you for your interest. So it's a little funny that I can't access there web page, but on the DVR+ I can go that fare.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10384 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
I did the upgrade.
*DVR+ in standby, external hard drive in idle
not sure that a fully understand this issue. the DVR do not send the drive to standby like Windows does. However, if the drive support sleep mode by itself and it's acctivated in the drive firmware, the drive goes into sleep but that was also the case with 124R

*Scheduled recording time arrives
Can you give a little more detail on this one?

*DVR+ times out waiting on the external hard drive to spin up
Yes, this seems to be fixed. Now DVR+ displays a message telling that the drive is initializing, please wait and after few seconds the listing appears.

*Scheduled recording aborts
Can tell yet on this one.

Also, the glitches on playback when the program is still recording doesn't seem to be fixed. I paused a live show, waiting about 1 minutes and hit play. Got some playback glitches. Rewind and those glitches are not there. I had this issues with 124R. So not fix.
I have a 1TB Seagate drive attached that I have set to idle down after 15 minutes of inactivity, so the DVR+ is not issuing a command, the drive is doing it on its own. (So-called "portable" drives (2.5 inch form factor drives) should not be left spinning 24/7 unless you have a sadistic feeling toward hard drives.)

There were reports that 123/4R did not wait long enough when it attempts to spin up the drive, and was aborting with a drive error. There was a work-around of you were manually starting up the DVR+, but not if it was automatically starting to record a scheduling program.

This may not be a frequently reported problem from the broad user-base since the Seagate drives that CM recommends come from the factory with the idle timer disabled, so they spin 24/7.

It was not clear (to me) whether this bug was universal to all hard drives or just some, so I did not allow the upgrade to 124R; I stayed at 114R.

It sounds like it has been fixed. Thanks.
post #10385 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1947 View Post
@pachinko , et al:
Did I do this correctly?? I'm a newbie at this.

Kind Regards, Gary
Every router is different so I can’t be certain, but from your screenshot, I would think you would have set “Status” to “Enabled”, and “Internet access during selected days and hours” to “Deny”. It might also require a Name for “Enter Policy Name”? If you hover over those controls, does a Tip appear to help you decide what to do?

To test if your router is blocking that IP, use the DVR+ to check for the update (don't worry, if it finds the update, you can Cancel). If being blocked, the DVR+ should report an error of some kind instead of offering the update to you. You can also enter tr50.dishaccess.tv into your Internet Browser’s address bar to test if it’s being blocked, but I rather be certain by having the DVR+ check for the update.

That said, from the reports coming in today, it’s sounding like 132R may turn out to be a good thing (except for the annoying extra button pushes for CC ever since 124R, and maybe other things I’m not remembering).

Good Luck!

Last edited by pachinko; 01-07-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added another way to check if IP is blocked
post #10386 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've had my DVR+ for just over a year now, and have experienced no issues until recently. When playing live TV or a recording every so often the screen will go black for a split second and the input info will be shown on the screen when the image returns, as if I just changed inputs. I currently have the DVR+ running to a receiver and then on to the TV. I've checked all HDMI cables, and do not experience this with other HDMI sources run in the same fashion (Roku, Blu-ray). The only change that has been recently made is a new TV (Vizio M60-C3). This is a 4k TV, so could this be causing the issues? Any idea would be appreciated.
post #10387 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy312 View Post
Thanks for the help. I updated the software version and it appears to be working now.
I am very happy the issue seems to be resolved, but I’m puzzled why the software update would have fixed the issue. I was asking about the version number just for the records. Unless, and I’m thinking likely, the update caused a warm boot, like jericko76 also recommended, and that fixed the problem. Like jericko76 said, a reboot has been known to fix all sorts of problems!
post #10388 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebase322 View Post
Adoucette, I have 2 different external drives that are giving me the same message. New recordings work fine but older ones do not and give the error you noted.
I have backed up the data from one of them, a WD HDD, and reformatted the drive. Transferred the data back to the newly formatted drive and get the same error.
It sees all the recordings but will not start a playback on any of the files. This is the same as before it was formatted.
Quote:
The more I think about homebase322's "cannot start playback" issue, the more I wonder if the problem is that the REI file has somehow gotten out-of-sync with the actual STRMnnnn.TS files, so it's trying to find a file that has a different name than it expects.
Quote:
@pachinko , The screenshot helped immensely. I set mine up the same way and successfully converted 2 files through the DVR+ Lister program. I was able to view them both in Windows Media Player classic and in the movie and TV player in Windows 10.
Quote:
Were you able to recover any recordings that wouldn't play on the DVR+?
Quote:
ALL of the shows on that disk would not play on the DVR+ and all give the error about can't start the playback. These were just 2 of the files that I had tried while the drive was attached to the DVR+. Both worked on the PC after the conversion.

It does seems like some part of the file structure is corrupt because the files will convert and play on a PC.
I'm happy the conversion worked, and at least you can play the recordings on a computer. Not ideal, but better than nothing!

I'm still wondering about this issue, and like JHBrandt mentioned, it sounds like the REI file, and/or the other data files, are messed up (out of sync). I have caused the DVR+ to refuse to play some recordings that appear in the Recording's list, but those recordings are the ones that I manually added to the USB HDD from my computer, and expected issues.

Re-reading homebase322's post (see the first quote above), I'm wondering about the use of the 2 USB HDDs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if perhaps one was disconnected improperly (not using the menu system to disconnect it), an the other drive connected after that, would the files get out of sync? I have NOT played with that, but I'm wondering if the REI for the 1st drive became the REI for the 2nd drive (that would be disastrous). Then the same thing happened when the 2nd drive was disconnected and replaced by the 1st drive. I could see everything being messed up for existing recordings, but all is well for new recordings (at least some of the time). That's just a theory (with no data to prove it), and could easily not be what caused this issue. However, I HIGHLY recommend that the menu system is used when disconnecting a USB HDD (unless the DVR+ is without power), especially when a library of disks are in use. I've disconnected a USB HDD many times while the DVR+ is in Standby Mode (dim blue light), but that's me, could afford to mess things up, and I always reconnected the same drive to the DVR+ when done that way.

Unless you're certain that all new recordings will be playable on the DVR+, I suggest that you quickly view all recordings on one USB HDD that will play on the DVR+, then move the other recordings to your computer, and view at your leisure. Of course this could be difficult while the new season's shows are being aired, and recorded to that disk. Next, format that USB HDD on your computer. Before returning the disk to the DVR+, Cold Boot the DVR+ to get rid of any data lingering in the unit's memory. After booting, reconnect the drive to the DVR+ and let the DVR+ reformat (initialize) it again. Then do the same thing to the 2nd disk.

If I understand it correctly, you've copied the contents of one of the drives to a computer, reformatted the disk, allowed the DVR+ to reformat it, then copied the backup files to the USB HDD, but if the data files are messed up, then they will still be messed up.
post #10389 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock_94 View Post
I've had my DVR+ for just over a year now, and have experienced no issues until recently. When playing live TV or a recording every so often the screen will go black for a split second and the input info will be shown on the screen when the image returns, as if I just changed inputs. I currently have the DVR+ running to a receiver and then on to the TV. I've checked all HDMI cables, and do not experience this with other HDMI sources run in the same fashion (Roku, Blu-ray). The only change that has been recently made is a new TV (Vizio M60-C3). This is a 4k TV, so could this be causing the issues? Any idea would be appreciated.
Sounds like HDMI handshakes are occurring for some reason. Mine does that when switching to/from a CMTV channel (I assume to start/end HDCP), except my TV doesn't show "HDMI" every time this happens.

There have been some issues reported with HDMI between the DVR+ and Vizio TVs, especially 4K models. You might try setting your DVR+ to a fixed resolution (1080p should work) instead of the default "best available" and see if the extra handshakes stop (or at least become less frequent).
post #10390 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Re-reading homebase322's post (see the first quote above), I'm wondering about the use of the 2 USB HDDs. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if perhaps one was disconnected improperly (not using the menu system to disconnect it), an the other drive connected after that, would the files get out of sync? I have NOT played with that, but I'm wondering if the REI for the 1st drive became the REI for the 2nd drive (that would be disastrous). Then the same thing happened when the 2nd drive was disconnected and replaced by the 1st drive. I could see everything being messed up for existing recordings, but all is well for new recordings (at least some of the time). That's just a theory (with no data to prove it), and could easily not be what caused this issue. However, I HIGHLY recommend that the menu system is used when disconnecting a USB HDD (unless the DVR+ is without power), especially when a library of disks are in use. I've disconnected a USB HDD many times while the DVR+ is in Standby Mode (dim blue light), but that's me, could afford to mess things up, and I always reconnected the same drive to the DVR+ when done that way.
Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis at least. The DVR+ detects when a HDD is unplugged and plugged back in (even in standby) as evidenced by the pop-up warning when you turn it back on. That "should" cause it to invalidate any buffers so it won't write bad data if you switch HDDs "illegally," but there could always be a firmware bug - and you can always lose data on a drive by unplugging it at the wrong time.
pachinko likes this.
post #10391 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Can't record but you can pause/rewind some channels and there's some on-demand content too
I'm trying to figure out if the dvr functionality (nonrecord but pause, play, rewind) only works on certain channels (specific to their sling contract) or if its specific to each show/movie.
post #10392 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
I'm trying to figure out if the dvr functionality (nonrecord but pause, play, rewind) only works on certain channels (specific to their sling contract) or if its specific to each show/movie.
From what I’ve read (I’ve never used SlingTV), the DVR+ has no control over what SlingTV allows or disallows. In fact, choosing SlingTV causes a SlingTV App to run (which is why channel info is not in the DVR+ Guide), and from what CM states on their facebook page, the App “works the same as usual”. I take that to mean that supported features have nothing to do with any contract between CM and SlingTV.

CM also states on their facebook page about recording rights of live streamed content, that “We hope to see that change in the future”! I’m betting against that.
post #10393 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I had to guess, I'd say it works differently than in OTA mode. It's probably not even buffering more than a few seconds; when you press "pause" or "rewind" the app just relays the command to the Sling server, and the server will do the command (if it's allowed on whatever you're viewing).

The good thing about that is, unlike OTA TV you might be allowed to rewind back to before you started watching, which would be great if you missed the start of a show.

In theory, all the same tricks should be possible with the free CMTV channels as well. Unfortunately, they haven't put nearly as much effort into CMTV since it's not a continuing revenue stream.
post #10394 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
From what I’ve read (I’ve never used SlingTV), the DVR+ has no control over what SlingTV allows or disallows. In fact, choosing SlingTV causes a SlingTV App to run (which is why channel info is not in the DVR+ Guide), and from what CM states on their facebook page, the App “works the same as usual”. I take that to mean that supported features have nothing to do with any contract between CM and SlingTV.

CM also states on their facebook page about recording rights of live streamed content, that “We hope to see that change in the future”! I’m betting against that.
When I said based on their sling contract I actually meant the channels contract with sling and not the channel master's contract with sling. I now have sling on my firestick and it operates the same way using the same interface. The dvr functionality does work on certain shows/movies so I am curious why it works on some things and not others......again which would be the same as all devices. I also agree with JHBrandt that the sling dvr functionality is internet-based and does not use the storage of the dvr to write content.
pachinko likes this.
post #10395 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
That is determined by the channel. It works the same way on my DVR+ and my Roku.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #10396 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The New Year's bug

I got a response from Channel Master support this afternoon regarding the New Year's bug. Below is their response:

"Thank you for the feedback. We were aware of the problem, and it had to do with the change from 2015 to 2016. Don't expect further problems in this regard."

To which I responded:

"Does this mean it won't happen during the change from 2016 to 2017 next year? According to others on the DVR+ forum, their units were affected when the year switched from 2014 to 2015, and with an earlier firmware version."

So now we wait for the next response, but ultimately we will have to wait until the end of 2016 to find out for sure.
pachinko likes this.
post #10397 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm having exactly the same problem. This started on Monday (1/5/16) with only the NBC/ABC channels (8.1 & 8.2) which are usually the strongest and best quality signal in our area. Crystal clear for months before this started happening.

I had the antenna connected via a CM amp which had never been a problem before. After removing the amp it seemed to solve the problem - but checking again later, it did not. Now, signal quality fluctuates between 5-15 for both of these channels. Others have posted that the DVR+ has a problem with strong signals, but the tuners in both our LG TV and our Magnavox DVR have no problems (clear signal on both 8.1 & 8.2).

Anyone else have this problem? Would an attenuator help? Strong signals are not a problem here (they are actually fairly weak, which is why I installed an amp) No other channels are affected, just the 8.X channels. Unwatchable, unrecordable...

Any other suggestions/ideas?

I also find it strange that this problem coincided with the roll out of 132R (on 1/5/16), which I did not want. I replaced our router recently and forgot to block the update sites at the router. Is it trying to download the update? (the sites are now blocked on the router) Someone else said that while downloading an update, it will sometimes mess with the tuner (esp. for some channels with strong signal). How would I get it to stop trying to download?

I've tried a cold reboot, but will try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
I need some help. Had my DVR+ for about 6 months, never had a issue. I have a outdoor antenna split/running to 2 TVs. The big 3 networks (ABC/NBC/CBS) are all on the same tower. I have always pulled 100 for both Signal and Quality strength. About 3 days ago, I noticed all my records on NBC were cutting out and un-watchable. The Signal Strength showed 100, the Signal Quality jumped between 0-50. NBC's sub-channel was having the same issue. I tried a cold-boot and scanned the channels, and nothing resolved the issue. Tonight I hooked up a old APEX Digital receiver and the signal for NBC showed 89 solid and no drop-outs. When I hooped back up my DVR+ NBC is now showing 100 for both Signal and Quality with no dropouts.

But now, a sub channel for CBS (Antenna TV) is having sound issues. Signal and Quality show 100, and the main CBS channel is fine. The Channel sounds like a playing card in a bicycle tire. I tried another cold boot and nothing. I have the same Antenna feeding my bedroom Samsung and the channel works perfect in there. Is my DVR+ going bad? Any suggestions?
post #10398 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
I'm having exactly the same problem. This started on Monday (1/5/16) with only the NBC/ABC channels (8.1 & 8.2) which are usually the strongest and best quality signal in our area. Crystal clear for months before this started happening.

I had the antenna connected via a CM amp which had never been a problem before. After removing the amp it seemed to solve the problem - but checking again later, it did not. Now, signal quality fluctuates between 5-15 for both of these channels. Others have posted that the DVR+ has a problem with strong signals, but the tuners in both our LG TV and our Magnavox DVR have no problems (clear signal on both 8.1 & 8.2).

Anyone else have this problem? Would an attenuator help? Strong signals are not a problem here (they are actually fairly weak, which is why I installed an amp) No other channels are affected, just the 8.X channels. Unwatchable, unrecordable...

I also find it strange that this problem coincided with the roll out of 132R (on 1/5/16), which I did not want. I replaced our router recently and forgot to block the update sites at the router. Is it trying to download the update? (the sites are now blocked on the router) Someone else said that while downloading an update, it will sometimes mess with the tuner (esp. for some channels with strong signal). How would I get it to stop trying to download?

On the DVR+, if you go into Menu, then tech info - there should be a screen that shows Signal Strength and Signal Quality, see what the levels are there.
r3r3r likes this.
post #10399 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Sling TV

Nice to have the option of Sling TV, but $20/month is much too much, though better than cable.
I will give the 14 day free trial option a go though to check it out.
post #10400 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I sincerely hope your issue is not the exact same as @jericko76’s; issue!

The DVR+ should not have, on its own, attempted to download the 123R update (that is, not this early after the 132R release, mine hasn’t) even though the new router initially did not have the update IP blocked (mine is not blocking the update). So I don’t see that having anything to do with this.
r3r3r likes this.
post #10401 of 16832 Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Forgive this post but I find this forum confusing to use. I have a new DVR+ and live in the SF Bay area. Channel 7 (and some other channels) transmits from two locations, one in SF and the other in the southeast bay. My antenna points to San Francisco but I think the auto channel scan ends up selecting the east bay transmitter so I get mediocre reception. If I go to manual add a channel and type in the actual stations, it finds three channel at each transmitter but I cannot change the actual transmitter it uses. Any thoughts?
post #10402 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:

I had an similar episode to that yesterday on CBS (RF channel 22 in my area). Signal strentgh was at 100%, but quality was around 0 and 30. Normally this channel is 100%, 100%. It last about 10 seconds but came back to normal after that. I did not think to look at it with the TV tuner. I don't think it's related to 132R, because I saw in the past a similar issue on FOX (RF channel 43 in my area) with firmware 124R. I just saw this on weak channels that I don't have a LOS. CBS is 2Edge and FOX is 1Edge and the tranmistters are located at 95 miles away from my home. The DVR+ tuners seem to be very sensitive and because of it are more affected by mutltipath and mutlipath is something that is common when is not LOS (If I understand signal propagation. properly ). I have very powerful channels in my area because my main market is only at 25 miles from my home). I have few channels that are insane high (arround 25 dBmV when I look at it on a spectrum analyzer) and never had a single issue on those with the DVR+. Just to compare CBS is arround -10dBmV and FOX is arround -22 dBmV.

I don't say that it's your issue, just food for thoughts.
r3r3r likes this.
post #10403 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Tech Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I got a response from Channel Master support this afternoon regarding the New Year's bug. Below is their response:

"Thank you for the feedback. We were aware of the problem, and it had to do with the change from 2015 to 2016. Don't expect further problems in this regard."

To which I responded:

"Does this mean it won't happen during the change from 2016 to 2017 next year? According to others on the DVR+ forum, their units were affected when the year switched from 2014 to 2015, and with an earlier firmware version."

So now we wait for the next response, but ultimately we will have to wait until the end of 2016 to find out for sure.
This is tech talk. Let me decode it for you. What they are actually saying to you the customer is shut up and go away!
artisticimaging and anant like this.
post #10404 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc95 View Post
Nice to have the option of Sling TV, but $20/month is much too much, though better than cable.
I will give the 14 day free trial option a go though to check it out.
I love Sling TV (when it works). I subscribe to the basic $20 package plus the $5 Hollywood pack that adds the EPIX channels, Sundance HD, and Turner Classic Movies. I would pay the $25 for TCM channel alone. My wife spends most of her TV time on HGTV. If there were kids in the home Disney Channel and some of the cartoon channels would get attention. We do not watch sports, so ESPN goes unused.

Yesterday I noticed the occasional drop from sling back to OTA that others have reported, but then Sling went black on both my DVR+ and my Roku, so it may not have been the fault of the DVR+. Sling has issues on-and-off since its inception last spring, and the new interface may have introduced some problems for Sling. I do like the RESUME and RW/FF feature on EPIX and some of the other channels; I wish TCM offered that. Maybe someday they will.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #10405 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so far, so good with Sling TV

I had to kick myself when I learned about CM adding Sling TV to the offering, because I had just purchased a Roku for Christmas so my son and I can watch ESPN (it's been an on-going issue since cutting the cable cord). I've had the DVR+ pretty much since it became available. Last night, I setup my Sling TV account on the DVR+ and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of video. I haven't done any thorough testing and perhaps it's a result of something else, but the quality of the picture was noticeably better coming through the DVR+ compared to the new Roku 4. Doesn't really make sense to me, as the Roku has newer hardware and, again, maybe it is other factors (e.g., Internet throughput at the time). However, the main point is that the quality of the Sling TV experience on the DVR+ is excellent, when compared to using it on the Roku. The only downside for me is that the Roku remote is pretty darn simple to use.
post #10406 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red02xj View Post
Forgive this post but I find this forum confusing to use. I have a new DVR+ and live in the SF Bay area. Channel 7 (and some other channels) transmits from two locations, one in SF and the other in the southeast bay. My antenna points to San Francisco but I think the auto channel scan ends up selecting the east bay transmitter so I get mediocre reception. If I go to manual add a channel and type in the actual stations, it finds three channel at each transmitter but I cannot change the actual transmitter it uses. Any thoughts?
No apology necessary. Here's what the DVR+ does in that situation:

If you receive the same channel from multiple transmitters, the first one it finds while scanning gets the actual channel number. If you do an auto-scan, that's generally the transmitter with the lowest frequency, which is not necessarily the one with the best reception.

Then when it finds the channel again, since the channel number is already taken, it assigns the second transmitter it finds a "fake" channel number starting at 100. So your "good" channel 7 is probably numbered 100.1, 101.1, or something similar, in your guide. Unfortunately, that also means you'll have Rovi guide data for your unwanted channel 7 but only PSIP for your "good" one, making it tough to set up recordings.

Fixing this problem was a lot easier with firmware versions 115R and earlier, because you could simply delete both the unwanted transmitter on channel 7 and the desired transmitter on channel 10x, then do a manual scan at the frequency of the desired transmitter. It would then assign it channel 7 since the old channel 7 had been deleted.

Unfortunately with 124R, you can't delete channels anymore; you can only "hide" them, which doesn't help! So with that firmware version, you have to do an auto-scan with your antenna disconnected, finding nothing; then hook up your antenna, and manually scan in all the frequencies for the desired transmitters one at a time.

I don't know if the newest firmware version (132R) restored the ability to delete unwanted antenna channels, but I doubt it. Anyone who has upgraded, feel free to chime in on this question.
red02xj and pachinko like this.
post #10407 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepOrange View Post
Last night, I setup my Sling TV account on the DVR+ and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of video. I haven't done any thorough testing and perhaps it's a result of something else, but the quality of the picture was noticeably better coming through the DVR+ compared to the new Roku 4.
It looks that way to me as well, especially when I compared TCM and EPIX. I have an idea the reason may be that the Roku is designed to automatically degrade the image based on broadband throughput, whereas the DVR+ might be providing a pure signal without performing any QoS tuning.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #10408 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I setup my Sling TV account on the DVR+ and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of video. I haven't done any thorough testing and perhaps it's a result of something else, but the quality of the picture was noticeably better coming through the DVR+ compared to the new Roku 4.
I know nothing about Roku so I'm just speculating, but perhaps the Roku is set to a lower video resolution than the DVR+. For instance, maybe the Roku is at 480p while the DVR+ is at 1080i.

Theoretically the Sling apps should be downloading identical data on both boxes, so they should look the same unless something like that is happening.

I don't know if the Roku has a config screen where you can change settings like that (as I said I know nothing about it) but that's what I'd look for.
post #10409 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
I had to kick myself when I learned about CM adding Sling TV to the offering, because I had just purchased a Roku for Christmas so my son and I can watch ESPN (it's been an on-going issue since cutting the cable cord). I've had the DVR+ pretty much since it became available. Last night, I setup my Sling TV account on the DVR+ and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of video. I haven't done any thorough testing and perhaps it's a result of something else, but the quality of the picture was noticeably better coming through the DVR+ compared to the new Roku 4. Doesn't really make sense to me, as the Roku has newer hardware and, again, maybe it is other factors (e.g., Internet throughput at the time). However, the main point is that the quality of the Sling TV experience on the DVR+ is excellent, when compared to using it on the Roku. The only downside for me is that the Roku remote is pretty darn simple to use.
You can return your Roku for any reason within 30 days of purchase for a refund. Most merchants extend this period for Christmas shopping.
post #10410 of 16832 Old 01-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
No apology necessary. Here's what the DVR+ does in that situation:

If you receive the same channel from multiple transmitters, the first one it finds while scanning gets the actual channel number. If you do an auto-scan, that's generally the transmitter with the lowest frequency, which is not necessarily the one with the best reception.

Then when it finds the channel again, since the channel number is already taken, it assigns the second transmitter it finds a "fake" channel number starting at 100. So your "good" channel 7 is probably numbered 100.1, 101.1, or something similar, in your guide. Unfortunately, that also means you'll have Rovi guide data for your unwanted channel 7 but only PSIP for your "good" one, making it tough to set up recordings.

Fixing this problem was a lot easier with firmware versions 115R and earlier, because you could simply delete both the unwanted transmitter on channel 7 and the desired transmitter on channel 10x, then do a manual scan at the frequency of the desired transmitter. It would then assign it channel 7 since the old channel 7 had been deleted.

Unfortunately with 124R, you can't delete channels anymore; you can only "hide" them, which doesn't help! So with that firmware version, you have to do an auto-scan with your antenna disconnected, finding nothing; then hook up your antenna, and manually scan in all the frequencies for the desired transmitters one at a time.

I don't know if the newest firmware version (132R) restored the ability to delete unwanted antenna channels, but I doubt it. Anyone who has upgraded, feel free to chime in on this question.

I just checked on 132R. No change. You can just hide the channels.
red02xj, JHBrandt, wizwor and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page