Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #10861 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
So, if I rename all of the shows to "XMAS", there will be a virtual directory created named "XMAS" and all of these will be placed into that "folder"?
Yes! The "virtual" directory is automatically created after you rename 2 shows to XMAS. As the others are renamed, they magically move into the virtual XMAS directory.

Quote:
I will still see the original name of the program in the Info?
Sorry, No! That is, unless the original name is part of the show description, and that's doubtful. The new name, XMAS, appears in the Info window for the title.

That said, there is a way to have the original names appear in Info, but ONLY if you know how to manually edit the binary data files on a computer. Again, that's dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10862 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just tried it out and it works great. No big deal that I loose the program name. I'll go with that for now.
Thanks!
pachinko likes this.
post #10863 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I did the test and posted results (have you read it ?), installed all missed parts - no go, internal drive doesn't using, but it's spinning OK.
It would require new FW to employ internal SATA connection.
I'm thinking that when this was tried, we were still on 108R and the 1TB DVR+ wasn't even out yet. Support for an internal HDD was probably added in whichever firmware version the first 1TB DVR+'s came with.

Has it been retried with newer firmware?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10864 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm thinking that when this was tried, we were still on 108R and the 1TB DVR+ wasn't even out yet. Support for an internal HDD was probably added in whichever firmware version the first 1TB DVR+'s came with.

I may have to give this a go on one of the 16GB models I have. There is a 500mb drive from an old laptop lying on my desk at this very moment. Once I get some free time I'll try putting it in the DVR+ and see what happens.
post #10865 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
The short answer is unfortunately No, not that way! However, you can rename the recordings to have the exact same name, and the DVR+ will automatically create a "virtual" folder to put them in. This is exactly what the DVR+ does to all "series" recordings. You'll loose the show name, but the Info button can be used to see the description, and the date stamps remain unaltered.

I like your thinking! Unfortunately, the DVR+ does not use Folders or Directories on the storage device for the recordings, it only uses disk partitions to separate the TS recordings from the binary data files, and each partition has one folder named "lost+found", in which I've never seen a file. The software sees recordings with the same name, and groups them in what appears to be Folders only in the DVR Recordings window (not on the EHD). Those "folders" are just "virtual", they're not real. If you do this, the DVR+ will still mount the EHD, will still show those recordings in the DVR Recordings window (the data are obtained from the binary data files, not the existence of recordings), but will NOT play them, issuing the message "Cannot start playback of this recording".

Actually, this is not untested! I already did this experiment, which is how I know what happens as I described above. But you're right, it's dangerous to mess around like that unless you take proper precautions, or you don't mind loosing everything. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to try things like this to first copy ALL files to the computer for safe keeping, and if something goes wrong (almost guaranteed), copy ALL files back to the proper partitions on the EHD.
Ahh... I learned something new. Being a Unix/Linux programmer, I assumed that there were actual directories. Silly me.

The lost+found directory is a standard Unix/Linux directory, which, under normal circumstances, should be empty. Under Unix/Linux, when a file system check is run (fsck command) and fsck finds a file for which there is no valid file system entry, the file is put into lost+found, with the file name becoming the inode (information node) number. At that point, it's up to the system administrator to figure out what file is.

As to changing the contents of a DVR+ hard drive, the phrase that old-time map-makers used when labeling unknown regions comes to mind - Here There Be Dragons.
pachinko likes this.
post #10866 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerburke View Post
I may have to give this a go on one of the 16GB models I have. There is a 500mb drive from an old laptop lying on my desk at this very moment. Once I get some free time I'll try putting it in the DVR+ and see what happens.
IIRC what P Smith did was more involved than just opening the case and plugging in a drive. There were several missing parts on the 16GB models which he had to add first.
post #10867 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post
Actually, it only needed the connector, 4 coupling caps and a couple of termination resistors, probably less than 50 cents to Dish. The interface is baked into the chipset. The important factor was firmware that supported the internal SATA interface, so unless they do some bogus version checking on the board assembly there's no reason the internal drive firmware wouldn't work on the external drive model.
I said "several missing parts" but this post has a more specific list. Still hunting for the exact values....

I'm guessing the 4 coupling caps and 2 termination resistors are surface-mount, so it may still be a bit tricky to install them all (at least it would be for me)
post #10868 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Indeed.
Quote:
Nope. We are waiting for brave soul (sad that modded DVR+ vent to Canada and new owner wasn't interesting in the feature at all).
post #10869 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IIRC what P Smith did was more involved than just opening the case and plugging in a drive. There were several missing parts on the 16GB models which he had to add first.
I thought I did reveal all missing components and its meaning.
post #10870 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I said "several missing parts" but this post has a more specific list. Still hunting for the exact values....

I'm guessing the 4 coupling caps and 2 termination resistors are surface-mount, so it may still be a bit tricky to install them all (at least it would be for me)
Four capacitors 10nF, one spare resistor 10K (just for self spinning the drive), SATA combo connector - all SMD; plastic holder (see my drawing).
post #10871 of 16834 Old 01-30-2016, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
As to changing the contents of a DVR+ hard drive, the phrase that old-time map-makers used when labeling unknown regions comes to mind - Here There Be Dragons.
I'm assure you - it's possible without disturbing those scary dragons ; if I did for TR-50 (wrote DVD movie to its drive), then K77 device is more forgiven to such experiments.
post #10872 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Four capacitors 10nF, one spare resistor 10K (just for self spinning the drive), SATA combo connector - all SMD; plastic holder (see my drawing).
Okay, here's your drawing of a very complex plastic drive caddy, but I still can't find where you attempted to add the missing components without positive results.
post #10873 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 10:23 AM

I'm not sure what changed, but suddenly today Sling TV is useless on the DVR+. I have been trying to watch various things on it for a little over 2 hours now and it keeps either freezing or dumping out to live TV.

The longest stretch I have been able to watch it was just a few seconds over 18 minutes. I only know that because when it froze the time bar was showing. Most freezes have happened somewhere between the 12-15 minute mark. There have also been 3 occasions where the app did not freeze, but exited back to live TV. The timing on that is random and I haven't been able to determine what is causing the total exit vs just freezing up.

This is very frustrating as previously Sling TV was working without issue for me.
post #10874 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
There is a way to ff/rw at roughly 128x: while you're scanning @ 64x, start pressing the right or left arrow repeadedly. It essentially combines 64x + 1-min jumps to be twice as fast as those individually.

Not sure why CM doesn't tell people about this, probably because it's weird. But it works and I use it regularly!

Yes the DVR+ definitely should have either 300x like the DTVPal or 30-min jump like your old unit.

I have tried several times to ff faster than 64x with no luck. I have pressed the button many times while in 64x as well as holding it down. Old remote with 124r.
post #10875 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
I have tried several times to ff faster than 64x with no luck. I have pressed the button many times while in 64x as well as holding it down. Old remote with 124r.
Which button is "the button"?

Once FF is at 64x, press and hold the Right Navigation button (the ring button on the right had side of the OK button). If fast reverse, press and hold the Left Navigation button.
post #10876 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
i believe that it works for me, and that i can hold it down for continuous advancement (115r).
post #10877 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I'm not sure what changed, but suddenly today Sling TV is useless on the DVR+. I have been trying to watch various things on it for a little over 2 hours now and it keeps either freezing or dumping out to live TV.

The longest stretch I have been able to watch it was just a few seconds over 18 minutes. I only know that because when it froze the time bar was showing. Most freezes have happened somewhere between the 12-15 minute mark. There have also been 3 occasions where the app did not freeze, but exited back to live TV. The timing on that is random and I haven't been able to determine what is causing the total exit vs just freezing up.

This is very frustrating as previously Sling TV was working without issue for me.
I'm having the same symptoms......whether it is Sling or Channel Master they would be foolish not to be trying to fix these technologies. I hate that when I emailed Channel Master and they acted surprised and pretend that I am the only one having these issues and offer up this advice: Try a factory reset. In reality everyone that has regularly tried to use Sling on the DVR+ has been plagued with issues.
post #10878 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I have been having the exact same problem watching Sling TV on the DVR+. Finally gave up and watched it on the FireTV where I have absolutely ZERO issues.

CM just rushes things out the door and then tries to make up for problems with yet another sale!

Z

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10879 of 16834 Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Okay, here's your drawing of a very complex plastic drive caddy, but I still can't find where you attempted to add the missing components without positive results.
I think it was around same time when I posted pictures of PCB without SATA connector ... not sure though
post #10880 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi,
I just had an entire folder with about 40 hours of programs disappear from my 1TB hard drive. It is possible that either I or my wife mistakenly selected to delete the folder. Has anyone else had this happen? Shouldn't it be a little harder to do that? I ran the little disk checker from the menu and it said the drive was fine.

Last edited by James_in_Utah; 02-01-2016 at 04:46 AM.
post #10881 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,
I just had an entire folder with about 40 hours of programs disappear from my 1TB hard drive. It is possible that either I or my wife mistakenly selected to delete the folder. Has anyone else had this happen? Shouldn't it be a little harder to do that? I ran the little disk checker from the menu and it said the drive was fine.
1. I can't promise this will work, but if it's a USB HDD, disconnect the disk as soon as you can. Then connect it to a computer, and you MIGHT find the deleted recordings are still there. If the computer is running Windows, use DVR+ Lister (see my signature) to help you determine which recordings are the ones you want, and copy them to your computer. If other than Windows, you'll have to play each TS file until you find them. In either case, if you find any, do NOT delete them using the computer.

2. For some reason I seem to remember this happening to someone recently (need to search the past month), and everything magically reappeared after rebooting or something.

FYI, deleting a recording, or a folder of recordings, requires a confirmation, so that safeguard is built in. Unfortunately, there is no mechanism to undelete recordings when a mistake is made.
post #10882 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi,
I'm just about ready to order one of these, however I still have a question. Being old and not that savvy, could some one explain to me why a Sandisk Cruzer 256 or PNY 256 thumb drive would not perform well or very long. The 250GB in my old PAL is way more than enough for the way I use it. I have read here they will work but are "not that durable". Since there is already 16GB of flash in the unit I can't wrap my head around the "not that durable" bit. I know the recommended Seagate unit is much cheaper but that is not my question. Any knowledgeable help would be appreciated.
post #10883 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewlew View Post
Hi,
I'm just about ready to order one of these, however I still have a question. Being old and not that savvy, could some one explain to me why a Sandisk Cruzer 256 or PNY 256 thumb drive would not perform well or very long. The 250GB in my old PAL is way more than enough for the way I use it. I have read here they will work but are "not that durable". Since there is already 16GB of flash in the unit I can't wrap my head around the "not that durable" bit. I know the recommended Seagate unit is much cheaper but that is not my question. Any knowledgeable help would be appreciated.
"Not that durable" may relate to the inherent quality of flash memory. Modern flash memory is "more durable" than older technology, but it still has a limited lifetime in terms of the maximum number of erase/write cycles before it "wears out" (i.e. will no longer reliably hold its contents). Over the past 15 years, flash memory wear out cycles has risen from 100,000 or so to well into the millions.

Even so, using flash memory as a "hard drive" creates a large number of erase/write cycles, thousands per day at least, compared with the normal use of a so-called "thumb drive", which is typically only written to a few times a week, if that. In the DVR+ it is writing to the "hard drive" constantly while it is turned on, even if you are not recording anything, to provide the live pause, etc., feature.

The characteristic is dealt with by manufacturers of SSDs by adopting wear-leveling technology to ensure that the erase/write cycles are spread about evenly across the memory, and they use flash memory with the longest wear out specifications available. No doubt similar strategies are employed for the internal flash memory in the DVR+. It may even have much more than the specified 16GB of memory to provide extra memory cells to make use of in wear leveling.

PS: My comments about the DVR+ and its handling of the internal flash are speculation, not fact.

Last edited by RTPVid; 02-01-2016 at 10:44 AM.
post #10884 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
could some one explain to me why a Sandisk Cruzer 256 or PNY 256 thumb drive would not perform well or very long
Another issue could be that thumb drives are not as fast as SDDs or HDDs.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #10885 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
I'm having the same symptoms......whether it is Sling or Channel Master they would be foolish not to be trying to fix these technologies. I hate that when I emailed Channel Master and they acted surprised and pretend that I am the only one having these issues and offer up this advice: Try a factory reset. In reality everyone that has regularly tried to use Sling on the DVR+ has been plagued with issues.
I haven't tried contacting them yet, but will do so. I was just assuming their first response would be "it's a network or ISP issue" when I know it can't be. Not with a 100mb connection from my ISP and the fact that DVR+'s are all hardwired back to a 10/100/1000 business class HP switch all connected by high quality, shielded CAT6 cables I ran myself when the house was being built.

I just dread having the argument since it happens every single time I call someone with an issue with a device. "It's your network." No, I can assure you it is not.
post #10886 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Being old and not that savvy, could some one explain to me why a Sandisk Cruzer 256 or PNY 256 thumb drive would not perform well or very long.
What Red said. Durability used to be a concern, and may still be a problem for some thumb drives; but the bigger concern is write speed. Many thumb drives are plenty fast while reading, but can't be written to quickly enough to keep up with an HD video stream (let alone two).

That said, it might work, especially if it's a USB 3.0 thumb drive. As you said, there's already a built-in SSD that lets you record one video stream (albeit not two), so it really depends on the quality of the flash memory in the thumb drive. If you already have your thumb drive and don't mind taking a chance, give it a try. (Just make sure you have a backup of what's on it first, as the DVR+ will reformat it to its own liking.) If it works, let us know!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-01-2016 at 05:35 PM.
post #10887 of 16834 Old 02-01-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 82
flash drive

Quote:
Hi,
For what it's worth...
I have not tried tried recording to a flash drive, but I did download the 132R software to a 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Edge thumb drive and the DVR+ would not recognize it when I plugged it in. Tried another Sandisk with the same results. I then formatted the drive and still had the same problem. Switched to a different make (Toshiba ) and it worked without a problem.
post #10888 of 16834 Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What Red said. Durability used to be a concern, and may still be a problem for some thumb drives; but the bigger concern is write speed. Many thumb drives are plenty fast while reading, but can't be written to quickly enough to keep up with an HD video stream (let alone two).

That said, it might work, especially if it's a USB 3.0 thumb drive. As you said, there's already a built-in SSD that lets you record one video stream (albeit not two), so it really depends on the quality of the flash memory in the thumb drive. If you already have your thumb drive and don't mind taking a chance, give it a try. (Just make sure you have a backup of what's on it first, as the DVR+ will reformat it to its own liking.) If it works, let us know!
Well it could if the DVR+ has USB 3.0 port, but ... sorry, it hasn't.
post #10889 of 16834 Old 02-02-2016, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With most thumb drives, write speeds are so much slower than read speeds that you have to buy a USB 3.0 thumb drive to get a decent write speed even when plugged into a USB 2.0 port. That's why I recommended a USB 3.0 thumb drive for the DVR+. I realize the interface will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds in any case.
post #10890 of 16834 Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With most thumb drives, write speeds are so much slower than read speeds that you have to buy a USB 3.0 thumb drive to get a decent write speed even when plugged into a USB 2.0 port. That's why I recommended a USB 3.0 thumb drive for the DVR+. I realize the interface will be limited to USB 2.0 speeds in any case.
Well, lets wait what his [lewlew] tests/experiment will show...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page