Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 366 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #10951 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
...I bought the cheapie $30 refurbished Harmony 350 and haven't looked back...

Thanks to everyone who replied with advice. I am thinking I will look into this remote. I just can't get the new CM remote with a feature that will drive me crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromPhilly View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied with advice. I am thinking I will look into this remote. I just can't get the new CM remote with a feature that will drive me crazy.
I just got this remote as one of my kids broke my old All in One and I love my 350. So easy to program and you can re-assign keys if wanted. My wife loves the activity button and with one button she can turn on/off our LG TV, change the input to HDMI 1, turn on the Channel Master and our pioneer receiver. My only complaint is the remote is made out of cheap plastic, and I can see this getting broken pretty easily if you have young kids like I do.

One the top of the remote are 5 "favorite" buttons meant for quick access to channels. I used mine for my main core DVR+ buttons (commercial skip, DVR list, etc) as they are easier to locate in a dark room.
post #10953 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Garbled Recordings

Hi,
Twice now I've had a one our show recorded from NBC just be totally garbled. Lots of pixellation, jumps, bad audio, totally unwatchable. Other recordings seem to be just fine. We weren't home either time, so I guess I guess there could have been a problem with the signal. I ran through the built in hard drive check, and it reported that the disk was fine. Could this be a sign that my drive is going out, or the DVR is going out? Both of the bad recordings were from NBC. Law and Order SVU, and then Grimm. I checked other recordings from the days before and after and they were fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10954 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here is something interesting about the DVR+ and Sling TV

Today I was watching a show on TNT, same problems as yesterday. The stream froze or kicked me out to live TV multiple times.

I then started watching something on IFC. No freezes or kicks to live TV during a 2 hour movie.

I then was watching something on TBS. I was kicked out twice and had 1 freeze during a 30 minute show.

I am now watching CNN and have been for nearly 3 hours, honestly it is just on for background noise. No freezes or exits to live TV.

So, I have to ask. Could it perhaps be something that specific channels are doing that is causing the issue? My wife watched various things on HGTV last night for a little over 2 hours and had no issues.

Seems to me it might not be the hardware or the app itself, but an issue with specific channels.

I will be leaving Sling TV playing on various channels tonight just to further experiment...........
post #10955 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I turned on my DVR+ this afternoon and I got a message to Activate Channel Master TV. It was already activated, but I went ahead and tried to Activate it again. A page that normally gives you an activation code appeared briefly (with the code field blank), then it reported an activation error.

So I went online to see what was going on. I tried to sign in to my Channel Master TV (CMTV) account and it gave me a message: No user with the user name [xxxxx] could be found.

Has anybody else had this issue? I sent a message to CM, but have yet to hear back.
yo-mama likes this.
post #10956 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerburke View Post
Here is something interesting about the DVR+ and Sling TV

Today I was watching a show on TNT, same problems as yesterday. The stream froze or kicked me out to live TV multiple times.

I then started watching something on IFC. No freezes or kicks to live TV during a 2 hour movie.

I then was watching something on TBS. I was kicked out twice and had 1 freeze during a 30 minute show.

I am now watching CNN and have been for nearly 3 hours, honestly it is just on for background noise. No freezes or exits to live TV.

So, I have to ask. Could it perhaps be something that specific channels are doing that is causing the issue? My wife watched various things on HGTV last night for a little over 2 hours and had no issues.

Seems to me it might not be the hardware or the app itself, but an issue with specific channels.

I will be leaving Sling TV playing on various channels tonight just to further experiment...........
CNN drives me nuts, jumping to OTA randomly. I have watched home garden channel with no issue, but not that much.
This does not happen on iPhone or PC when watching CNN.
I prefer to use iPhone rather than dvr+.
This is BS.
post #10957 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclnz View Post
I turned on my DVR+ this afternoon and I got a message to Activate Channel Master TV. It was already activated, but I went ahead and tried to Activate it again. A page that normally gives you an activation code appeared briefly (with the code field blank), then it reported an activation error.

So I went online to see what was going on. I tried to sign in to my Channel Master TV (CMTV) account and it gave me a message: No user with the user name [xxxxx] could be found.

Has anybody else had this issue? I sent a message to CM, but have yet to hear back.
Mine just now deactivated my streaming internet channels and removed them from the guide.

Lame
yo-mama likes this.
post #10958 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Here we go again.
OMG Mr. Bingle!
artisticimaging likes this.
post #10959 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclnz View Post

Yes all my internet channels are gone too.
post #10960 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_Utah View Post
Hi,
Twice now I've had a one our show recorded from NBC just be totally garbled. Lots of pixellation, jumps, bad audio, totally unwatchable. Other recordings seem to be just fine. We weren't home either time, so I guess I guess there could have been a problem with the signal. I ran through the built in hard drive check, and it reported that the disk was fine. Could this be a sign that my drive is going out, or the DVR is going out? Both of the bad recordings were from NBC. Law and Order SVU, and then Grimm. I checked other recordings from the days before and after and they were fine.

I would be surprised if it were your DVR+, and you said you scanned your hard drive. Since both recordings came from the same channel, I would point the blame there first. Did you notice any crazy weather those nights? Try and just have this channel on in the background and see if you notice the issue live. I would also setup some random recordings and scan through them, not just NBC. If it was your DVR+, it would be a issue across all channels. This is a hard issue to troubleshoot as it can be so random.
post #10961 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Am I the only one that isn't going to bother reactivating them?
post #10962 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-mama View Post
Yes all my internet channels are gone too.
My CMTV came back. I had to reactivate, but it's back.

CMTV was a surprise bonus when I bought my DVR+. I don't really care about the current channel lineup, but I do like what it may mean for the future of TV. SlingTV was also a happy surprise, but I haven't needed to subscribe to that yet.
post #10963 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Hi,
to eliminate rare and weird cases like that, I would start from must have procedure against many small conditional bags - each night before asleep, do cold reboot
post #10964 of 16834 Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Hi,
Twice now I've had a one our show recorded from NBC just be totally garbled. Lots of pixellation, jumps, bad audio, totally unwatchable. Other recordings seem to be just fine.
fwiw, i have problems with channel 7. sometimes a few minutes into a recording it'll get digitally garbled, as if it detunes just enough over time. so irritating.

the internet channel i watch regularly will freeze up if i watch it too long too. if there's a problem, why can't it recover? no clue. sometimes it freezes so badly i have to reboot the unresponsive machine. probably unrelated, but also irritating. and a mystery.
post #10965 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
fwiw, i have problems with channel 7. sometimes a few minutes into a recording it'll get digitally garbled, as if it detunes just enough over time. so irritating.

the internet channel i watch regularly will freeze up if i watch it too long too. if there's a problem, why can't it recover? no clue. sometimes it freezes so badly i have to reboot the unresponsive machine. probably unrelated, but also irritating. and a mystery.
not at all - small conditional bugs: missed a few checks and garbled stream stall whole DVR functioning
post #10966 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
not at all - small conditional bugs: missed a few checks and garbled stream stall whole DVR functioning
With any compressed stream shouldn't the signal be able to re-sync? The program I was trying to play back was completely garbled, and the time would jump from 3 minutes all the way to 14 minutes and still be completely garbled, and it if tried to fast forward or jump ahead it would jump to 24 minutes. Very strange.
post #10967 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:

If you have problems with one station, check to see what frequency it is on. I am in Philadelphia and have been fighting with Channel 6 for a while. It somehow got screwed into staying in its original low-VHF channel instead of getting assigned a UHF channel. I had to re-work my antennae setup a number of times to finally get to the point where low-VHF channel 6 and the UHF stations all get a consistent signal.
post #10968 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrixwilliams View Post
OMG Mr. Bingle!
LOL you must be my age. Mr. Bingle Such a Jolly Guy.
Andrixwilliams likes this.
post #10969 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
With any compressed stream shouldn't the signal be able to re-sync? The program I was trying to play back was completely garbled, and the time would jump from 3 minutes all the way to 14 minutes and still be completely garbled, and it if tried to fast forward or jump ahead it would jump to 24 minutes. Very strange.
fwiw I had that happen once in a football game I had recorded. playback was heavily pixelated from the start, constant skips/freezing. those times it was readable I could see from the game clock time would jump ahead with nothing in between such that after only 15 minutes of the recording the game was already in the second quarter.

I had sometimes had some mild pixelation issues during previous game recordings on this same channel but this was far worse/unwatchable so first ran the hdd long scan tool to confirm the drive was ok.

I'm only 15 miles from and facing our local broadcast towers and otherwise got perfect reception/recordings from every other channel using the exposed conductor of a short length of rg6 as an antenna. but since watching recorded football games was the reason I got the dvr+ in the first place I decided to build one of those youtube bowtie antennas to see if that was my problem and sure enough it was - ever since switching to that ota/recordings have been rock solid even on the troublesome channel.
post #10970 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You are guys too much into wording, would be interesting get into tech bits when you have an access to variety of TS utilities; I would load VideoReDo or other software, sometimes simple TS analyzer would help or HexEdit to understand details.

Just copy the TS files to your PC and after a few hours researching, we will see your report here in professional manner
post #10971 of 16834 Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Just copy the TS files to your PC and after a few hours researching, we will see your report here in professional manner
Uh...wouldn't using DVR+ Lister be the easiest way to do this?
post #10972 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Uh...wouldn't using DVR+ Lister be the easiest way to do this?
umm, I'm talking about _analysis_ of the problem (you could use any method of copy TS files, just do that bit-to-bit)
post #10973 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Cool Fourth Red LED incident in 209 Days use

I had let the DVR+ 'time itself off' last night as I had set TV's "Sleep" but left DVR+ going. Don't know if this was related or not.

This is when Blue LED (dim or bright) is seen when Recording is not taking place, but Red LED is not seen while recording.

You will know that recording is happening because there is no LED seen at all.

All other functions remain normal. I have previously left it in this condition to see if it might correct itself, it did not...

Simple fix for this condition is to hold the button on front of unit pressed for a few seconds and it will blink Red LED and go through a "Warm Reboot". This will take Less than two minutes. Of course you would not want to do this while it was recording, or you would lose that few minutes of your recording while it rebooted.

This issue was first seen on Firmware 114R and continues through current 132R. Mine is still on its delivered 115R and blocked from future automated Firmware Flashes as I prefer the actions of my current (thin/flat) Remote and have much better options for any Streaming programs with the built-in apps on my TV & BD.

Of course I could do (my preferred method anyway) a Firmware Flash whenever I wanted by loading the Firmware on a USB Drive and using it for the Flash. The automatic downloads are blocked at my Modem.

This has been the Only glitch ever seen on my DVR+ and a Warm Reboot every few months is not a concern for me at all.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 02-11-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Less than two minutes
post #10974 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
That's called "fading." It's not just a DVR+ thing; it's an RF thing. Explanation here: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/g...yA.html#fading

Quote:
The internet channel i watch regularly will freeze up if i watch it too long too. if there's a problem, why can't it recover? no clue. sometimes it freezes so badly i have to reboot the unresponsive machine. probably unrelated, but also irritating. and a mystery.
I've had that happen as well, along with other irritations, on CMTV. One of the most annoying is when a momentary Internet glitch causes a message box with no "cancel" button to pop up over the picture. The only option is to go to network settings, but even going there and returning leaves the message box up! Sometimes the box will go away on its own eventually, but it usually remains long after the glitch has cleared up. Often the only way to get rid of it is to change channels. I try to wait for a convenient time to change channels, in case I have to reboot as you describe.

I haven't watched CMTV much since upgrading to 132R, so maybe it's better now. I'll give it another chance over the next couple of days and let you all know if it seems to have improved.
post #10975 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New CMTV channel: 444, Youtoo America, formerly known as Youtoo TV, American Life TV Network (ALN), GoodLife TV Network, Nostalgia Television, Nostalgia Channel and America One, according to Wikipedia.

Watching it now. And I still got that stupid "Network or Connection Error" message box after about 20 minutes.
post #10976 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
This issue was first seen on Firmware 114R and continues through current 132R. Mine is still on its delivered 115R and blocked from future automated Firmware Flashes as I prefer the actions of my current (thin/flat) Remote and have much better options for any Streaming programs with the built-in apps on my TV & BD.
Art

Sorry to correct you, but I believe it was first seen on the106R.
post #10977 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Sorry to correct you, but I believe it was first seen on the106R.
That may be, but I never saw it on 108R. I'm certain is was working at that point.

However, the way the LED worked was changed between 108R and 114R. I believe the new LED rules make more sense: color indicates recording, brightness indicates whether the DVR+ is on or in standby. But they introduced a new bug when they made that change and it persisted through at least 124R.

I haven't yet seen it on 132R though. Hope springs eternal.
post #10978 of 16834 Old 02-11-2016, 04:58 PM

I have repaired my remote. See, good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remote.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1246913  
post #10979 of 16834 Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I just ran into a nasty DVR+ bug. Luckily it should be quite rare, but if it hits,

Brief summary of the bug: If you manually rescan an existing channel, and the channel number of any channel increases, you will be unable to directly tune to or record any channel above the "old" channel number.

DFW has a channel with a high virtual number (52) and a low RF number (9). Lately their PSIP has been messed up, so the last time I did a channel scan it got scanned in as 9.1 instead of 52.1.

Earlier today I discovered their PSIP was fixed, so I did a manual scan of RF 9. Sure enough, it changed to 52.1 in the guide.

Problem is, it left it in the same position, between 8.3 and 11.1. It didn't move it down to where it belonged in the guide.

Which would be no big deal, except it's now impossible to directly tune any channel above 8.3! No matter channel number I type, if it's greater than 8.3 the DVR+ tunes to 8.3 instead.

I can still tune higher channels from the guide, but here's the real problem: it won't record anything above 8.3 anymore either!

Needless to say, hiding the troublesome channel 52.1 doesn't help.

Good grief. Apparently the only solution is a full rescan. Not the worst thing in the world, but annoying: rescanning OTA channels unhides every channel, including unwanted CMTV channels and apps. So I have to go rehide everything again and wait for the guide to download again
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-12-2016 at 09:59 PM.
post #10980 of 16834 Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I take pictures with my phone of my hide list......seems to really speed up the rehiding of all of the ultralow budget talk/infomercial/church stations I never watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page