Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 371 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #11101 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
definitely, for a few months now. it gives me that queasy feeling that i can't trust it to record everything i instructed it to. it doesn't seem to miss anything i programmed though, just adds stuff i don't want (and fills up my hard drive).
I can confirm that it also misses a recording. A week or 2 ago I was transitioning from watching one recording to another when I saw an NBC series I record on live OTA, but a blue light on the DVR+. The schedule had recorded whatever aired an hour earlier.

Thank you JHBrandt for posting that Editing the Series actually updates it. I had only tried updating the Rovi guide, which didn't help. I'm glad that we can access the Series Edit from the individual episode on the schedule.

While I agree that PBS has the most errata (just went from 20 scheduled recordings to 12 by Editing one series!), I had CBS and NBC problems in the current 2 week schedule as well. Guess I need to review the schedule on a regular basis for prevention. I would have not missed that one episode had I reviewed the Schedule, because the alternate recording was correctly named (not my series).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11102 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
i looked for keywords in the program names and descriptions but couldn't find anything that would explain the system's decision to record those programs.
There definitely are some digital shenanigans going on with the scheduling of recordings. I've only had one random program I didn't want show up in the schedule for recording, and I couldn't peg it to any keyword issues. But from the beginning I've had a keyword issue with NCIS and NCIS: New Orleans, although it doesn't result in recording problems. I have both programs scheduled for recording using a name match. They were both selected from the Guide for scheduling, and the New Orleans flavor of the show airs immediately after NCIS on the same channel. 100% of the time, and even after deleting both programs from the recording schedule and adding them back from the Guide I see two instances of NCIS in Series Options, and zero instance of NCIS: New Orleans in Series Options. If I look at the Guide they are both checked red for recording, both of them appear as they should in the schedule and when all is said and done they record normally and with their respective titles imprinted on the recordings correctly.

If I remember to do it I'll delete both programs again, then schedule only NCIS: New Orleans from the Guide and let it add a recording event to Series Options under the correct name. Then I'll add NCIS and let it do the same and observe it for a week or so to see if that causes both to log recording events in Series Options. But since I get my Guide data via PSIP I can't do it more than a day or so ahead of time and manually refresh the Guide data like I could with Rovi. For what it's worth, I also have NCIS: Los Angeles scheduled the same way as the others, but it airs the previous day and appears as it should in Series Options. I love the DVR+, but for some reason I really feel like an unpaid beta tester...
post #11103 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Channel Master DVR+ With Slingbox PRO-HD

I will be dropping Dish Network soon and I still want to be able to record some over the air broadcasts, as well as watch remotely. Is anybody here using the Channel Master DVR+ with a Slingbox PRO-HD? If so, do they work well with one another?

Also, how well does the ATSC tuner work in the Channel Master DVR+? I have a few different tuners around the house and some deal better with multi-path distortion interference (MPDI) than others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11104 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
Also, how well does the ATSC tuner work in the Channel Master DVR+? I have a few different tuners around the house and some deal better with multi-path distortion interference (MPDI) than others.
It seems that the dvr+ is more sensitive to overloading and multipath than other modern tuners. I do get multipath with my antenna and my built-in tuners of my TVs handle it better than the dvr+. For most people that have solid hardware setups it is never an issue but if you do have an issue it seems it will show up on the dvr+ first..
Greasemonkey and MKS13 like this.
post #11105 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
It seems that the dvr+ is more sensitive to overloading and multipath than other modern tuners. I do get multipath with my antenna and my built-in tuners of my TVs handle it better than the dvr+. For most people that have solid hardware setups it is never an issue but if you do have an issue it seems it will show up on the dvr+ first..
... in your house. But, in mine, the DVR+ tuner performs better than the tuners on my TVs. Is it the best tuner on the planet? No, but it is also far from the worst. That is understating it... it is actually quite good.
wizwor likes this.
post #11106 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPVid View Post
... in your house. But, in mine, the DVR+ tuner performs better than the tuners on my TVs. Is it the best tuner on the planet? No, but it is also far from the worst. That is understating it... it is actually quite good.
True but I feel that my observations are closer in line to what many other posters have experienced in this megathread.
post #11107 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True but I feel that my observations are closer in line to what many other posters have experienced in this megathread.
FWIW (which isn't much), my experience is closer to RTPVid's. My DVR+ consistently gets channels that are marginal on other tuners, such as my DTVPals.

Not saying either of you is wrong. It just seems to be a "YMMV" situation.
post #11108 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
That's odd that the 655 is not showing the DVR+'s MAC address. Is the DVR+ showing that it's connected via Wireless? If it helps, in my 655, in STATUS->DEVICE INFO, the "Name" field for the DVR+ is listed as "UNKNOWN".

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
I'll have to look in the STATUS and see what's there. That might do the trick. I'll PM the results/questions. Thanks again.
post #11109 of 16648 Old 02-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Second that. My Samsung TV tuner is hand's down mo better than my DVR+ tuners.
post #11110 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
I have TiVos, DVR+s, DTVPals, and Simple DVRs in my home. My antennas are in my attic which is covered with asphalt shingles. The DVR+ pulls in a marginal UHF and a marginal VHF station when the others will not. There has never been a circumstance when I could watch something on any other DVR which was not available on a DVR+. This is regardless of DVR location. I have to assume the DVR+ has better tuners. Also, the TiVo splits the signal among four tuners, so, intuitively, each should start with half the signal the DVR+s tuners start with.

A lot of the people complaining about the DVR+ on this thread do not own one. At least one, never has. Reporting tuner performance without having both is anecdotal at best given the impact of weather and other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
Curious how you are diagnosing and measuring this.
post #11111 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Second that. My Samsung TV tuner is hand's down mo better than my DVR+ tuners.
Funny... both of my Samsung TV's tuners are worse; not a lot worse, but noticeable with weaker signals and with weather interference.
post #11112 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
definitely, for a few months now. it gives me that queasy feeling that i can't trust it to record everything i instructed it to. it doesn't seem to miss anything i programmed though, just adds stuff i don't want (and fills up my hard drive).

i looked for keywords in the program names and descriptions but couldn't find anything that would explain the system's decision to record those programs.
This happened to me and I resolved it by deleting and rescheduling the shows that were on the affected channels.
post #11113 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Just curious:
For those of you having issues with streaming and/or slingTV, are you using a wireless or wired connection? Just wondering if the connection type has anything to do with the problems.
post #11114 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepro View Post
Just curious:
For those of you having issues with streaming and/or slingTV, are you using a wireless or wired connection? Just wondering if the connection type has anything to do with the problems.
Mine is wired.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #11115 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I have TiVos, DVR+s, DTVPals, and Simple DVRs in my home. My antennas are in my attic which is covered with asphalt shingles. The DVR+ pulls in a marginal UHF and a marginal VHF station when the others will not...Curious how you are diagnosing and measuring this.
That's actually a good question. How would one design an experiment to test that? Given that the signal runs through a cable, and stipulating that all cables coming off a splitter are of equal lengths would the proximity and position of the DVR+ to the TV be a factor? Could the DVR+ be better at pulling in weak signals across the board, but not as good when dealing with multipath and fading? If someone is using a splitter, could one side of the splitter be stronger than the other?

I live 25 miles from the transmitters for most stations in my area, and am reasonably elevated. But I am also somewhat tucked behind a hill with houses on it, and surrounded by numerous large trees. Somewhat surprisingly, I seem to have more reception problems with the main network channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS) than I do with independent full power stations. LPTV stations are a crap shoot. The other day it was cloudy, and I did notice that the DVR+ was getting more consistent reception, but because it was I didn't check the reception for the TV tuner.
post #11116 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could probably do some experiments with a variable attenuator. Tune to a relatively weak station and see how much you can attenuate the signal before it starts to break up. Do this on various tuners to compare their sensitivity. They'll probably all be in a fairly narrow range though.

Similarly, you might be able to measure sensitivity to overload with a variable-gain amp. Again, tune to a weak station - these are the ones that get hammered when nearby stronger stations start to get too strong. I think you'll find more variation between tuners here - I know the HomeWorX tuners are easily overwhelmed, and I've heard anecdotal evidence that some TiVos have problems here too.

Multipath would be trickier to measure, especially since the problem is usually varying multipath. Digital tuners are good at identifying and canceling reflections, but problems occur when the strength of those reflections changes too fast for the tuner to keep up (as when the wind blows tree limbs, or when folks walk near an indoor antenna). If anyone can think of a good yet cheap way to measure that, let us know.
post #11117 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Multipath would be trickier to measure, especially since the problem is usually varying multipath. Digital tuners are good at identifying and canceling reflections, but problems occur when the strength of those reflections changes too fast for the tuner to keep up (as when the wind blows tree limbs, or when folks walk near an indoor antenna). If anyone can think of a good yet cheap way to measure that, let us know.
Do you think increasing transmission power would help? I don't know how the math works, but just looking at numbers, what if you have a signal of 100 (generic rating), with 90% being actual signal and 10% being multipath. Increase that to a generic rating of 150. You still have the same 90/10 ratio, but the spread is wider: 135/15. Would it be easier for tuners to manage that? If so, that reinforces my belief that increasing transmission power--wattage, whenever possible would go a long way to solve this in most of the country.
post #11118 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt it; it's the signal/noise ratio that matters, not the absolute difference, and multipath reflections (that aren't compensated for) look just like noise.

As far as transmission power goes, basically, you need enough to reach the horizon with an acceptable S/N ratio, but that's already true of most full-power UHF stations.

Low-power UHF and full-power VHF stations are another matter; I'd like to see the FCC cut both of those a bit more slack, as long as interference guidelines are still met. (Not long ago, the FCC gave low-power VHF stations a big break, raising their max. ERP limit from 300 watts to 3000, and I think it did help the few low-power VHF stations we have.)
Greasemonkey likes this.
post #11119 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's actually a good question. How would one design an experiment to test that? Given that the signal runs through a cable, and stipulating that all cables coming off a splitter are of equal lengths would the proximity and position of the DVR+ to the TV be a factor? Could the DVR+ be better at pulling in weak signals across the board, but not as good when dealing with multipath and fading? If someone is using a splitter, could one side of the splitter be stronger than the other?
I use an HDHomeRun. You get Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol. That's a lot of data. I just don't know how to tie what I see to a symptom and a solution. I have had a TiVo and a DVR+ sitting under the TV in my bedroom. I swap them out from time to time just to see how they compare under specific conditions (especially seasonal and fringe reception). In that case, only the DVR is different. I have six antennas, so I can compare inside to outside and location to location (just starting to play with this) and ganging.
Quote:
I live 25 miles from the transmitters for most stations in my area, and am reasonably elevated. But I am also somewhat tucked behind a hill with houses on it, and surrounded by numerous large trees. Somewhat surprisingly, I seem to have more reception problems with the main network channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS) than I do with independent full power stations. LPTV stations are a crap shoot. The other day it was cloudy, and I did notice that the DVR+ was getting more consistent reception, but because it was I didn't check the reception for the TV tuner.
That's when I like to plug in the HDHR so I can see if the signal is strong or weak or inconsistent.
post #11120 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
Mine is wired.
Mine is wired also. and no problems on other devices.
post #11121 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
after 2 months, i finally got the 'no LED' bug. 115R. didn't even notice when i got home and turned it on, until i was going through the guide and it showed something was recording. i looked at the front and nothing. went to 'dvr' menu and it seems to indicate that it is recording, just no LED. what was the fix? cold reboot?

thanks.
post #11122 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defed View Post
after 2 months, i finally got the 'no LED' bug. 115R. didn't even notice when i got home and turned it on, until i was going through the guide and it showed something was recording. i looked at the front and nothing. went to 'dvr' menu and it seems to indicate that it is recording, just no LED. what was the fix? cold reboot?

thanks.
Warm reboot usually does it for me.
post #11123 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I use an HDHomeRun. You get Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol. That's a lot of data. I just don't know how to tie what I see to a symptom and a solution.
For it to have comparative value to measure against other tuners like the DVR+ and TV's I think all those readings would have be to measured in standard units for the tuners of any make and model of DVR or TV. The DVR+ gives you readings for signal strength and signal quality, but I don't know if they are being measured in standard units or just the tuner's "intuitive feeling". I've been having all kinds of trouble with my local Fox affiliate this evening, so I checked the signal information (under Technical Info) and though the signal strength was reading "100", the signal quality was bouncing from 0 to 60 fairly randomly. A standardized metric would be nice to do some comparisons. Even if you could put a meter between the HDMI output of the DVR+ and the TV, I don't know how you could measure the signal strength and quality between the TV tuner and its monitor.
post #11124 of 16648 Old 02-23-2016, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For it to have comparative value to measure against other tuners like the DVR+ and TV's I think all those readings would have be to measured in standard units for the tuners of any make and model of DVR or TV. The DVR+ gives you readings for signal strength and signal quality, but I don't know if they are being measured in standard units or just the tuner's "intuitive feeling". I've been having all kinds of trouble with my local Fox affiliate this evening, so I checked the signal information (under Technical Info) and though the signal strength was reading "100", the signal quality was bouncing from 0 to 60 fairly randomly. A standardized metric would be nice to do some comparisons. Even if you could put a meter between the HDMI output of the DVR+ and the TV, I don't know how you could measure the signal strength and quality between the TV tuner and its monitor.
I don't generally compare the HDHR to other tuners since we do not watch television on it. I use it to compare and position antennas.

All I can do to compare tuners is plug devices into the same cable and see how the picture looks. I have a few 'bellwether' stations that I tune each device to -- a fringe VHF station sixty miles north, a low power uhf station to the west, and an ION affiliate which is always difficult. I have a lot of 'data' on the VHF station because it is home to Heroes and Icons and I try to watch Hill Street Blues every night. The UHF broadcaster has Antenna TV and Grit, so there is some interest in improving things which causes me to pay a little more attention. I don't really care if I get ION
post #11125 of 16648 Old 02-24-2016, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Warm reboot usually does it for me.
warm worked.

i can't recall, is the typical LED bug no LEDs at all? after the scheduled recording stopped, the blue was there. just no red when recording.
post #11126 of 16648 Old 02-24-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is the typical bug. Blue LED shows up fine, but when recording the LED goes dark instead of showing red. Just make sure the LED is blue before you reboot!
post #11127 of 16648 Old 02-24-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Rovi guide is off with all evening programming for CBS on Sunday with the Good Wife starting at 9:30 PM! This has been going on for weeks. Missed the first 30 minutes 2 weeks in a row. Then I realized what was going on and changed the start time manually for the 3rd week on the Rovi Guide.
Paul210 likes this.
post #11128 of 16648 Old 02-24-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Funny... both of my Samsung TV's tuners are worse; not a lot worse, but noticeable with weaker signals and with weather interference.
Probably very subjective. I have 2 Sharp TVs and 1 Samsung TV. Plus I have had DTVPALs, and IVIEW3500 boxes.

From my experience the DVR+ tuners were better than the Sharp TVs and as good as all the rest of the devices with tuners mentioned. I am happy with the DVR+ tuners and I am in a tough reception area.

There are so many variables at a home that controlled testing with proven instruments in a lab would be needed to settle the discussion.
Greasemonkey likes this.
post #11129 of 16648 Old 02-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
There are so many variables at a home that controlled testing with proven instruments in a lab would be needed to settle the discussion.
That's what I'm thinking. You would have to test every link in the chain--antenna, every cable, every splitter, RF amplifier, number of connections in the chain, etc. I still wonder how balanced splitters are to each output. I'm also guessing that different makes and models of tuners react differently to RF amplifiers, and as JHBrandt has said, their signal to noise ratio. Assuming a straight line run from the antenna to a single component, one might do better than another. But add an amplifier and the results could flip. Add a splitter without an amplifier with output to two tuners and get one result, connect an amplifier prior to the splitter and get a different result. If someone could get this down to a science and develop a way to do home testing for people they might have a nice consulting/service business possibility, notwithstanding the actual number of people who are cord cutters and exclusively OTA. That's a completely different animal, though I would argue that given the frequency of signal loss on cloudy days, people with satellite service should back that up with an OTA signal.
post #11130 of 16648 Old 02-24-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation "Balanced" 3-way splitter not so balanced

Quote:
I still wonder how balanced splitters are to each output.
2-way splitters are usually OK (there's very little inside that could unbalance them), but beware of 3-way splitters; many are two daisy-chained 2-way splitters inside, so you have one "strong" output and two "weak" ones. You can Google "balanced 3-way splitter" to try to do better (although unless you have equipment to test with, you're still relying on the manufacturer's word that it is indeed a balanced splitter).

Edit: Although the DVR+ signal strength meter is uncalibrated, it can still give you some clues. I just tested a "balanced" 3-way splitter I've been using for a while, and although it's better than a typical 3-way splitter, it was clear from the readings that it isn't completely "balanced." While the typical 3-way splitter has one strong output and two equally weak ones, my "balanced" 3-way splitter has one weak output and two equally strong ones!

Here's what I think is going on. The typical 3-way splitter is just two 2-way splitters daisy-chained, so the "strong" output is 1/2 the input, while the "weak" ones are 1/4 the input (minus insertion loss), or in decibel terms, -3.5dB and -7dB respectively. But I think my "balanced" 3-way splitter is actually a -6dB "tap," followed by a 2-way splitter. So its "weak" output is 1/4 the input while the "strong" ones are each 3/8 the input, or about -6dB and -4dB respectively. There's probably some insertion loss too, so the "real" dB figures are probably closer to -6.5dB and -5dB; close enough to get away with calling it "balanced," but still different enough for the DVR+ to detect!
Greasemonkey likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-21-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: See text
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page