Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 383 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4264Likes

post #11461 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh6idf View Post
The DVR+ is just over 2 months out of warranty.
If you paid for it via credit card, you may have additional warranty coverage through your card.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11462 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Got this message today on our DVR+ with internal 1TB hard drive. Tried the check disk / initialize, etc, nothing worked.

Plugged an external Seagate 1TB USB drive in, formatted it and it is working fine again using the external drive.

The DVR+ is just over 2 months out of warranty. Anyone else have this happen, and if so were you able to replace the internal hard drive without sending it in?
Sorry to hear that! @Iowanative had a 1TB internal HDD fail not too long ago. The discussion started HERE, and if you follow the conversation it will lead to pics of the internals, and the nasty ultimate conclusion (bad disk).
jericko76 likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 03-11-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fixed link
post #11463 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Got this message today on our DVR+ with internal 1TB hard drive. Tried the check disk / initialize, etc, nothing worked.

Plugged an external Seagate 1TB USB drive in, formatted it and it is working fine again using the external drive.

The DVR+ is just over 2 months out of warranty. Anyone else have this happen, and if so were you able to replace the internal hard drive without sending it in?
Some good news - after installing the external USB drive, I tried disconnecting it so it would go back to the internal drive. It did this, then I ran check disk again. Previously it would halt the check disk in about 1/4 second and give the message: "A Fault Has Occurred with Your Storage Device". But now check disk ran until completion and when it was done it reported the disk was good with no errors. Then I went to the list of recorded programs and they were all there! Except for the show we were recording tonight when the failure apparently occurred.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11464 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
What I'm curious about is how many times did you cancel the nag for the 132R update? When I was cancelling them, after about 10 nags, the forced update would occur. That said, when I had the DVR+ in Standby Mode for 5 days straight, it didn't appear to check for the update. I say that because I got the 10 nags over the next few days while watching the recorded shows. So how did you manage to allude the nags before the Rovi issue?

FYI, a while back, when all was well with the Rovi Guide, it always reported "OK" after a refresh. A few months or so ago, along came the [403], even though the Guide appeared to be okay, and listed 14 days. I suspect there has been something wrong in the Guide data ever since [403], and somehow that got fixed too when they fixed the recent "outage" issue!
I have intermittent issues with my wired connection, so that may be the reason for warding off updates for so long.
When I said I had 403 from day 1, that meant from the day I bought it. I find it odd no update nag while Rovi was wonky.
post #11465 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Some good news - after installing the external USB drive, I tried disconnecting it so it would go back to the internal drive. It did this, then I ran check disk again. Previously it would halt the check disk in about 1/4 second and give the message: "A Fault Has Occurred with Your Storage Device". But now check disk ran until completion and when it was done it reported the disk was good with no errors. Then I went to the list of recorded programs and they were all there! Except for the show we were recording tonight when the failure apparently occurred.
I realize it's an internal HDD, but the message "A Fault Has Occurred with Your Storage Device" is much the same as the message in DVR+ 124R when the External USB HDD did not spin up fast enough when the DVR+ came out of Standby Mode. That issue was fixed in version 132R. What version are you running, and did the fault occur coming out of Standby Mode?

If 124R, maybe the issue wasn't limited to EHDs, and the "fault" was bogus. That would be a good thing!
post #11466 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

I get that occasionally when I hit the "DVR" button before the unit has completely booted up after turning it on. Can't access any recordings, but if I shut the unit off, turn it back on and let it completely boot up it works fine. Don't use an external, so I don't know anything about that aspect.
post #11467 of 16915 Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I get that occasionally when I hit the "DVR" button before the unit has completely booted up after turning it on. Can't access any recordings, but if I shut the unit off, turn it back on and let it completely boot up it works fine. Don't use an external, so I don't know anything about that aspect.
Thanks! That being the case, then the issue for the internal HDD is exactly the same as for an external HDD, because any action that attempts to access the EHD too early in 124R would throw that false warning. Version 132R will correct the problem for anyone not opposed to that update.
post #11468 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
... What version are you running, and did the fault occur coming out of Standby Mode?

If 124R, maybe the issue wasn't limited to EHDs, and the "fault" was bogus. That would be a good thing!
I'm running 132R(0.5). The fault could have occurred coming out of standby, as the DVR+ had been off all day, and there was a show scheduled to record that evening. So it had to wake up from standby in order to record that show, and that's probably when it happened.
post #11469 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

FYI, a while back, when all was well with the Rovi Guide, it always reported "OK" after a refresh. A few months or so ago, along came the [403], even though the Guide appeared to be okay, and listed 14 days. I suspect there has been something wrong in the Guide data ever since [403], and somehow that got fixed too when they fixed the recent "outage" issue!
I have a full 14 days guide and the Rovi status is 403 for me. In fact I never saw Ok for the status since a have the dvr+. However, I have 1 channel that has no logo at all. I have another channel that has 14 days of data but the logo is the default psip logo. Also, I have 1 sub-channel without Rovi data, this channel is fill up by psip data.

Maybe the 403 code means that the update was completed, but some data for your channel lineup is missing. Just a theory.

For those with "ok" status, does your guide totally fill up with Rovi data?
SpOuK-3- likes this.
post #11470 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
I have a full 14 days guide and the Rovi status is 403 for me. In fact I never saw Ok for the status since a have the dvr+. However, I have 1 channel that has no logo at all. I have another channel that has 14 days of data but the logo is the default psip logo. Also, I have 1 sub-channel without Rovi data, this channel is fill up by psip data.

Maybe the 403 code means that the update was completed, but some data for your channel lineup is missing. Just a theory.

For those with "ok" status, does your guide totally fill up with Rovi data?
You have a channel with 14 days of PSIP data? That seems wrong. Maybe the icon is wrong?

On the CM web page about the Temporary Rovi Outage, CM states the following:

Quote:
It's important to note that not all channels will have 14 days of guide information. If there is a broadcaster logo or no logo at all in the grid next to the channel, this indicates you should be receiving 14 days of program information for that particular channel.

If a channel has a default TV icon next to the channel in the grid, this indicates that this channels isn't reporting 14 days of data to our service and you will only receive the data that the broadcaster is transmitting over the air(typically 2 days or less)
I have one channel that has the generic TV icons, indicating no Rovi data, only PSIP. That channel has been hidden since before the Rovi Outage. There are 3 channels without an icon (but still Rovi). Even so, the past couple of days the status was always "OK".

Today [403] returned, even though the PSIP channel is still hidden, so that doesn't seem to be a factor. After warm or cold booting, it changes to [102] for about 1 minute, then to "OK". The only "Unknown Event" entries that I see are at the end of the Guide (from Sat. Mar. 26, 8:00am to 9:30am). IIRC, yesterday when the Last Rovi Update flag was always "OK", there were no "Unknown Event" entries at the end of the Guide.

I tend to think like you, that [403] indicates that the data isn't quite complete?
post #11471 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Problem with HDD message

Quote:

I get this message occasionally on my 16GB unit. All I do is push the power button on my remote to put the unit in standby then turn the unit back on and it recognizes the HDD.
post #11472 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
You have a channel with 14 days of PSIP data? That seems wrong. Maybe the icon is wrong?

On the CM web page about the Temporary Rovi Outage, CM states the following:

I have one channel that has the generic TV icons, indicating no Rovi data, only PSIP. That channel has been hidden since before the Rovi Outage. There are 3 channels without an icon (but still Rovi). Even so, the past couple of days the status was always "OK".

Today [403] returned, even though the PSIP channel is still hidden, so that doesn't seem to be a factor. After warm or cold booting, it changes to [102] for about 1 minute, then to "OK". The only "Unknown Event" entries that I see are at the end of the Guide (from Sat. Mar. 26, 8:00am to 9:30am). IIRC, yesterday when the Last Rovi Update flag was always "OK", there were no "Unknown Event" entries at the end of the Guide.

I tend to think like you, that [403] indicates that the data isn't quite complete?
The 14 days of data is provided by Rovi. But the logo is the default one. In fact, this channel has no valid psip at all. When I switch to psip only, this channel is all unknowns.
pachinko likes this.
post #11473 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
I get this message occasionally on my 16GB unit. All I do is push the power button on my remote to put the unit in standby then turn the unit back on and it recognizes the HDD.
All I ever did was wait about 10 seconds, and all was well. The message was bogus, and has been replaced in 132R with "The storage device is initializing, please wait".

The only time this would happen is if I did anything to access the EHD before it spun up, like press the DVD button, or the red button to start recording Live TV.
post #11474 of 16915 Old 03-12-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
The 14 days of data is provided by Rovi. But the logo is the default one. In fact, this channel has no valid psip at all. When I switch to psip only, this channel is all unknowns.
Like you, I still have a [403] status for my Rovi guide, yet the guide appears complete.

And like you, I have one channel with Rovi guide data and yet a generic logo. (In my case it's KMPX/29, an Estrella TV affiliate.) So it could very well be that the missing logo and [403] status are connected.
post #11475 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
how do you force a rovi update? i don't usually use it, but i plugged it in to see, and the info is all wrong. the instructions provided to the CM page from rovi don't match the menus i have (115r).
post #11476 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defed View Post
how do you force a rovi update? i don't usually use it, but i plugged it in to see, and the info is all wrong. the instructions provided to the CM page from rovi don't match the menus i have (115r).
The option to independently refresh the Rovi Guide was added in version 124R. IIRC, prior to 124R you must re-scan the TV channels. Please report back if that's wrong.

The option "Refresh Rovi Guide Data" was added in version 123R/124R.

Prior to that, at least from 114R forward, and I suspect earlier versions, just change the zip code to another zip code, then moments later back to the desired zip code, and the Rovi Guide automatically updates. Changing the zip code causes the Rovi Guide to update, even in versions with the "Refresh Rovi Guide Data" option.

Last edited by pachinko; 03-13-2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Corrected inaccurate information
post #11477 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For a test of recordings spanning over the 2:00am DST mark (Sun. Mar. 13, 2016), I've scheduled the following 2 recordings (1 automatic, and 1 manual):

1. An automatic recording of a 32 minute show, beginning at 1:30am. That overlaps the time change 2 minutes.

2. A manual recording with a duration of 1 hour, from 1:30am to 2:30am. Even though there is no 2:30am, the timer is allowed, but the time frame is NOT highlighted in the Rovi Guide. Even though not highlighted, clicking that time slot will allow the timer to be edited, so it appears to have been accepted. Further evidence that this timer is active is that another timer cannot be created during the time period because there are already 2 timers scheduled.
Here's the results of these 2 DST tests.

1. This "automatic" recording should have been 32 + 2 minutes long, but is actually 93 minutes 56 seconds, recording the show it was to record, and the 60 minute show that followed. I forgot to set the start early and end late times to zero, so it started 1 minute early and ended 1 minute late. It recorded First Look (as it should have), and Open House NYC (which it should not have recorded). Those were the 2 shows displayed in the Guide at the DST jump.

2. This "manual" recording did exactly what it was supposed to do, even though that period was NOT highlighted in the Guide. It recorded 30 minutes before DST, and 30 minutes after DST. The recorded duration is 59 minutes and 56 seconds. It recorded Car 54, then Welcome Back, Kotter, which were the 2 shows displayed in the Guide at the DST jump.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #11478 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 457
You should save a link to this post to reference in November. Nice work.
pachinko likes this.
post #11479 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

I received the "A fault has occurred with your storage device..." message today, and have been requested to post a picture of it since it appears to be different than the message received when using an external hard drive. I have the 1TB DVR+, and am running version 132R (0.5). The time reading "1:32PM" in the upper right hand corner of the image is probably just one of those happy coincidences, though I suppose there is a chance that it portends the end of the world as we know it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR Error.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	1312505  
post #11480 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
The option to independently refresh the Rovi Guide was added in version 124R. IIRC, prior to 124R you must re-scan the TV channels. Please report back if that's wrong.
guess that explains why i can't find it. thanks!
post #11481 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
You can also force a Rovi update by changing the ZIP code in the setup screen. "Date and time" specifically, IIRC. Just change it to a ZIP code near you, let the new guide download, then change it back.
post #11482 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I received the "A fault has occurred with your storage device..." message today, and have been requested to post a picture of it since it appears to be different than the message received when using an external hard drive. I have the 1TB DVR+, and am running version 132R (0.5). The time reading "1:32PM" in the upper right hand corner of the image is probably just one of those happy coincidences, though I suppose there is a chance that it portends the end of the world as we know it.
Thanks very much for the pic! I'm going to add it to the Q&A page of DVR+ Lister.

I'm finding it very strange that this is occurring in 132R because that bogus message is not longer issued for USB disks. Instead it displays the message "The storage device is initializing, please wait", and when the disk is up and running, the message closes itself.
post #11483 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
You can also force a Rovi update by changing the ZIP code in the setup screen. "Date and time" specifically, IIRC. Just change it to a ZIP code near you, let the new guide download, then change it back.
Does this work in versions before 123R?
Edit: I just temporarily reverted to 114R, and changing the zip code does cause the Rovi Guide to update. This also works in 132R, and I would imagine in other earlier versions.

Last edited by pachinko; 03-13-2016 at 06:49 PM.
post #11484 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
guess i can try and find out. my guide is 1 hr off. pretty sure it was correct this morning (non-rovi) then it got off when i hooked up the ethernet. i set the time manually.
pachinko likes this.
post #11485 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Quote:
That's how I always did it back on 114R. Actually, I had two Zip codes that were only a couple of digits apart, and just alternated between them whenever I wanted to re-download the guide.
pachinko likes this.
post #11486 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm finding it very strange that this is occurring in 132R because that bogus message is not longer issued for USB disks. Instead it displays the message "The storage device is initializing, please wait", and when the disk is up and running, the message closes itself.
The only thing I can think of that would cause that is a completely different programming routine that handles the external and internal drives. Haven't others mentioned that when they hook up an external drive to the 1TB DVR+ it is the external drive that gets priority and is used? If there was one group of programmers who wrote the software for the internal drive, and another for the external drive (and other USB inputs) they may have also independently created the messaging for each. When you connect the USB drive to the DVR+ there may be the coding equivalent of a diverter valve that shunts everything over to the programming routine that handles the USB port. If it finds the external drive before the internal drive on boot up the internal HD may not even be recognized, and is cut out of the loop entirely, including any error messages that could be displayed.
post #11487 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That's how I always did it back on 114R. Actually, I had two Zip codes that were only a couple of digits apart, and just alternated between them whenever I wanted to re-download the guide.
changing zip didn't seem to work, but when i tried auto time set, the guide at least shifted the schedule back to match (no longer 1 hr off).

if i recall, the 'last guide update' prior to clock set change was 10 am. after, it was 11 am...which it is 8 pm, so i'm not sure that even then it updated, just repositioned everything by 1 hr.
post #11488 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
changing zip didn't seem to work, but when i tried auto time set, the guide at least shifted the schedule back to match (no longer 1 hr off).

if i recall, the 'last guide update' prior to clock set change was 10 am. after, it was 11 am...which it is 8 pm, so i'm not sure that even then it updated, just repositioned everything by 1 hr.
Changing the zip code probably did cause the Rovi Guide to update, but if the option for DST was not set, then the manually set time would not have changed for DST, causing the data to be out of sync with DST.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #11489 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Changing the zip code probably did cause the Rovi Guide to update, but if the option for DST was not set, then the manually set time would not have changed for DST, causing the data to be out of sync with DST.
but shouldn't it have said 'last rovi guide update: 8pm" (when i changed zip) instead of 11 am when i tried it this morning by plugging in the ethernet?

edit: just checked it, says last update was 8:09pm....perhaps that's when it FINISHES rather than STARTS the update. i'll try it again and see what it does and keep track of the time.

tried it again, at 9:20, i changed zip, my channels icons disappeared, (still old update time), they came back (old update time), finally it says "last update : 9:30"...so yea, changing zip does update guide, and the time displayed is when it's done.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by defed; 03-13-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #11490 of 16915 Old 03-13-2016, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Fantastic! Don't forget that sometimes a particular video may not play properly even after this technique, so be sure to test them, especially if you really, really, really want them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cah95046 View Post
This works! Thank you !!!!!!!!

All I had to do was provide a path to ffmpeg.exe already on my pc. The input, output, and format TS fields came up as defaults. This copied file now plays on AVL, win10 movie, and my BD player over my DLNA LAN.

So the fastest most convenient solution is to use ffmeg as described above in DVR+lister. If I want to remove parts of the file, I can use videotovideo.

Incidentally, both approaches increase the file size by ~5%. A small price to pay.

Great forum. Can't believe sometimes the collective knowledge on the web and the willingness of people to help each other.
Seems I spoke too fast. The above technique does work for many CM ts files otherwise unplayable by my equipment (Sony tv, BD player). However, I did find some files that failed this approach. The DVR+lister/ffmpeg combination produced a file of 0 size.

I found "TSdoctor" ($40 after 30 day trial) successfully cleaned up even these problem files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page