Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4336Likes

post #11521 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
There probably is more to it in regards to the capabilities of the dvr+.....if it was so easy for the dvr+ to stream then the whole home dvr solution where multiple dvr+'s in the house communicate to each other would be a reality instead of channel master 'working on it'. I do believe they are indeed working on it as it would a be a great selling feature but what is the hold up?
money
what revenue you, as a company, will get from the development ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
money
what revenue you, as a company, will get from the development ?
I'd say more sales....if the dvr+ could talk to eachother to watch content from either machine(s) than that whole home dvr would be a great selling feature.

A bigger factor in money probably has to do with channel master and echostar's contract. It seems like the support comes from echostar and not channel master so who knows what the contract looks like because echostar isn't going to invest a bunch of money into development of additional capabilities if all they are contractual obligated to do is offer support (bug fixes, app integration, etc)
post #11523 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
A bigger factor in money probably has to do with channel master and echostar's contract. It seems like the support comes from echostar and not channel master so who knows what the contract looks like because echostar isn't going to invest a bunch of money into development of additional capabilities if all they are contractual obligated to do is offer support (bug fixes, app integration, etc)
And that may indeed by the key. We don't know what goes on behind the curtain. How many people does E* have in total that work as coders? And of those people, how many are working on new features and how many are working on fixing bugs? And how many people would have to be hired for both aspects to actually get it done and provide ongoing support?And finally, the big question, how much will it all cost them vs. how much they can expect to make in sales and services? Also, keep in mind that CM sells a lot of other products besides the DVR+. It would be interesting to know what % of their revenues come from the DVR+ as opposed to their other products. That said, it wouldn't hurt any of the OTA box makers to work together and coordinate an effort to give people an incentive to cut the cord and opt for streaming serivices, or at least parallel the cord with OTA services.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 03-21-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11524 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Last night Sling reported no internet connection. I checked and I had a strong wifi connection to the router, but CM reported no internet connection. So I checked and all my many other iwfi devices connected to the internet perfectly.

I tried removing and reattaching both the usb wifi and the CM power cord, but with the same results: strong wifi connection but no internet.

I could cold boot the modem and the router, but everything other than the CM DVR+ works perfectly.

I could reset the CM, but I think I'll lose all my Series to-do programming. Any ideas?
post #11525 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

try direct Ethernet cable from DVR to a switch or a router
post #11526 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
With all the Rovi issues lately I'd like to say something positive. I have been the harshest critic of Sling on the dvr+ and I have to give them credit because Sling on the dvr+ has been a rockstar for me for the past two weeks or so with little to no issues.

EDIT: Of course I get kicked out to ota 20 minutes after posting this
I can confirm that Sling has been working well. I signed back up to check out a free HBO trial and watch a few other things, it's been pretty solid for 10 days.

But, for those of you that don't have a recent model of a good streaming device, well... I got a free 2015 Roku 2 and it is much faster than the DVR+ for watching Sling. Granted I do have a slowish internet connection, but the remote response is also way better. I can quickly scroll through any channel listing or series/episode listing (on HBO), and also FF/RW is faster on the channels that don't seem to pre-load when you watch on-demand (A&E, Freeform, maybe all of them besides HBO?)
post #11527 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 43
As far as we know, is the DVR+ processing speed of new purchases the same as the original ones from late 2013? If so, they should release a faster model soon (see my comments above of a Roku comparison) As long as the old one remains fully supported with firmware updates, of course.
post #11528 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheatreMaven View Post
I tried removing and reattaching both the usb wifi and the CM power cord, but with the same results: strong wifi connection but no internet.

Any ideas?
is the dvr+ getting a valid ip address?
post #11529 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Last night Sling reported no internet connection. I checked and I had a strong wifi connection to the router, but CM reported no internet connection. So I checked and all my many other iwfi devices connected to the internet perfectly.

I could cold boot the modem and the router, but everything other than the CM DVR+ works perfectly.

I could reset the CM, but I think I'll lose all my Series to-do programming. Any ideas?
Does your router "see" the DVR+? (i.e. have you checked the router's configuration screens?)
post #11530 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Any ideas?
If you have a password needed to connect to the router, you might try to enter it again. The DVR+ can access the router, but the router doesn't know who you are. As P Smith said, if you run a cable to your router, a password is not needed.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 03-21-2016 at 04:31 PM.
post #11531 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I just found out about Sony PlayStation Vue and started my trial earlier this week. Is there any chance that an app like this could come to the Channel Master DVR+ ?

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-playstation-vue/
I signed up for the Playstation Vue trial last week as well. So far we are enjoying it far more than Sling. There are more channels to choose from and depending on the tier you subscribe the Fox Sports channels that I watch a lot during football season are available.
post #11532 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
If you have a password needed to connect to the router, you might try to enter it again. The DVR+ can access the router, but the router doesn't know who you are. As P Smith said, if you run a cable to your router, a password is not needed.
Thank you everyone. This is all very confusing to me. However, I do have a wifi extender with an Ethernet connection. So I setup the extender and plugged in the cable, and voila, I had internet connection with the ethernet cable. I tried copying the wired settings into the wireless using the manual setup, but it still didn't give me an internet connection (but I still had my strong wifi connection).

Finally i tool the wireless adapter down to my router and did a WPS on both units. Went upstairs and plugged in the wireless and voila, I had an internet connection. The wireless automatically found the same IP address as the wired connection.

So I have no idea what happened to screw up my internet connection with wifi adapter, but it seems to be working now.

Thanks to everyone, but could someone tell me what happened.
pachinko likes this.
post #11533 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:

I see you got it connecting while I was typing my 2 cents, but I'm posting anyway because I've had that problem and what I've observed and done to fix it.

I've had this happen, but only when I was monkeying around with the WiFi dongle. For example, unplugging the dongle, plugging in Ethernet, and back to WiFi, or unplugging the dongle when playing with updates. To correct the issue, I usually unplug the router and the modem, reboot the router, then the modem, and then Cold Boot the DVR+. Some times that works, and other times it takes a period of time (15 minutes, 1/2 hour), and the DVR+ magically finds the Internet again. No clue why!

I've also had trouble acquiring the Internet when I had the DVR+ only 2 inches from the floor, instead of about 18 inches above the floor which is where it usually sits. While it doesn't have problems getting Rovi data when it's near the floor, it seems to have difficulty acquiring the Internet, even though it finds the router. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I've observed, but I haven't ruled out some other cause.

Did the DVR+ or the Router get moved? Did furniture get moved between the Router and the DVR+? Any new electronic devices? Is the microwave running?

A Factory Reset would definitely erase all scheduled recordings, and lot more. It's the last thing I would try, and only after giving the DVR+ time to magically grab the connection!
post #11534 of 17095 Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Did the DVR+ or the Router get moved? Did furniture get moved between the Router and the DVR+? Any new electronic devices? Is the microwave running?
The only thing I can think of is I added a device onto my network.
post #11535 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrag2 View Post
As far as we know, is the DVR+ processing speed of new purchases the same as the original ones from late 2013? If so, they should release a faster model soon (see my comments above of a Roku comparison) As long as the old one remains fully supported with firmware updates, of course.
I'm lost in that phrase ... are you expecting new OTA DVR from e* ? minuscule chance, IMO
perhaps when ATSC 3.0 will be implemented
post #11536 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
As I understood it, he was complaining that the DVR+ was too sluggish in responding to the remote while in the Sling app, and was wondering if CM might start selling newer units with faster processors that would give it a snappier response.

I agree there's not much chance of that until ATSC 3.0 comes along and makes all existing tuners, including those in the DVR+, obsolete. At that point E* (and everyone else) will have to design new units.
post #11537 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 08:19 AM

Spoke too soon, not fixed

Quote:
Thank you everyone. This is all very confusing to me. However, I do have a wifi extender with an Ethernet connection. So I setup the extender and plugged in the cable, and voila, I had internet connection with the ethernet cable. I tried copying the wired settings into the wireless using the manual setup, but it still didn't give me an internet connection (but I still had my strong wifi connection).

Finally i tool the wireless adapter down to my router and did a WPS on both units. Went upstairs and plugged in the wireless and voila, I had an internet connection. The wireless automatically found the same IP address as the wired connection.

So I have no idea what happened to screw up my internet connection with wifi adapter, but it seems to be working now.

Fixed one minute, then I come back an hour later and "No internet connection" on the wireless. I don't know what's happening. Very frustrating.
post #11538 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I agree there's not much chance of that until ATSC 3.0 comes along and makes all existing tuners, including those in the DVR+, obsolete. At that point E* (and everyone else) will have to design new units.
And this something I fear will be come a trend, and I don't like it at all. If ATSC 3.0 is not backward compatible as believed, the development process is likely to be used by industry as a way to force people to upgrade their equipment. I bought the DVR+ based on features and performance that existed at the time of purchase, and even if it went EOL on me in terms of firmware updates I would be comfortable using it well into the future--until the wheels fell off, as long as it worked. When you break backwards compatibility, bean counters will surely enter the picture and calculate how often people can be forced to upgrade their equipment without revolting. And as you said, it's not just the DVR+. Every device you own that has a tuner will have to be upgraded when ATSC 3.0 becomes the standard.

A worst case scenario, at least for me would be if industry developers map out a development arc over say, 12 years so they can force you to upgrade equipment two or three times in that period by portioning out the development standards. In addition to the DVR+, I've purchased a fair amount of electronics over the last couple of years including the recent purchase of an AV receiver. None of the units I looked at had HD radio tuners, and I wonder when analog radio will go the way of analog TV. Without backwards compatibility the only consumer friendly solution I see is modular architecture.

If CM and other electronics manufacturers designed their equipment in a modular way so the consumer could pop out things like tuners the same way we pop out memory sticks it wouldn't be so bad. It might even be good in the sense that we could install aftermarket components like we do with computers. Bombing a DVR+ with a high performance, aftermarket set of tuners might even be a good thing. But CM and other manufacturers won't design equipment in a way that takes money out of their pockets.
post #11539 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As I am not going to read all 385 pages of this thread, I am posting a message I just sent off to CM. Maybe this fault has already been discussed and I apologize for re-hashing it again.
I am using one of the specified WD 1Tb you recommend and initialized it per instructions. External drive works as well as the now failed and no longer available internal drive.
Periodically when I pressed DVR to see the recorded programs, the error message that "external drive has failed and needs to be disconnected etc" appears.
Initially I was disconnecting the drive and doing a time consuming power off then on cold reboot.
I then discovered in DVR menu to disconnect and reconnect external drive, which still took time but less than cold reboot.
By accident I discovered just pressing record and wait until red light turns on, stop recording, the recorded program list is available when DVR button is pressed and all programs can be played. Elapsed time 10-15 seconds.
Don't know why the failure occurs, seems to happen when DVR is in either dim off or bright On blue light states.
CM needs to get on the ball and fix disconnect bug in next release. Maybe the USB driver fails and the record software wakes it back up??
post #11540 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Fixed one minute, then I come back an hour later and "No internet connection" on the wireless. I don't know what's happening. Very frustrating.
It might have something to do with my WiFi extender. When I unplugged it from power, I was able to get an internet connection on my WiFi USB adapter. When I reattached power to the WiFi extender (not attached to the CM) , I still maintained the internet connection with the WiFi USB adapter.

Very confusing. Who knows what will happen tomorrow.
post #11541 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanative View Post
As I am not going to read all 385 pages of this thread, I am posting a message I just sent off to CM. Maybe this fault has already been discussed and I apologize for re-hashing it again.
I am using one of the specified WD 1Tb you recommend and initialized it per instructions. External drive works as well as the now failed and no longer available internal drive.
Periodically when I pressed DVR to see the recorded programs, the error message that "external drive has failed and needs to be disconnected etc" appears.
Initially I was disconnecting the drive and doing a time consuming power off then on cold reboot.
I then discovered in DVR menu to disconnect and reconnect external drive, which still took time but less than cold reboot.
By accident I discovered just pressing record and wait until red light turns on, stop recording, the recorded program list is available when DVR button is pressed and all programs can be played. Elapsed time 10-15 seconds.
Don't know why the failure occurs, seems to happen when DVR is in either dim off or bright On blue light states.
CM needs to get on the ball and fix disconnect bug in next release. Maybe the USB driver fails and the record software wakes it back up??
It is very important to always mention which DVR+ version your are running. It's also important to quote the exact message. Was the actual message as follows?

A fault has occured with your external storage
device and DVR functionality has been
disabled.
Please remove the external device to enable
internal storage.

If so, then this is a well known issue in version 124R (maybe others too), but has been "fixed" in 132R which changes the message and the DVR+ waits until the disk spins up. This FALSE message occurs only after turning on the DVR+ (take out of Standby) after the disk has spun down, and only when you do anything that causes the DVR+ to access the disk before it has time to spin back up. However, you can do other things before the disk spins up, such as browse the Guide, or adjust settings, and that message does not appear.

You do NOT have to disconnect the USB EHD to correct the issue. Just close the message window, and wait about 15 seconds before attempting to do anything that accesses the disk.
post #11542 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink ball, balls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
It is very important to always mention which DVR+ version your are running. It's also important to quote the exact message. Was the actual message as follows?

A fault has occured with your external storage
device and DVR functionality has been
disabled.
Please remove the external device to enable
internal storage.

If so, then this is a well known issue in version 124R (maybe others too), but has been "fixed" in 132R which changes the message and the DVR+ waits until the disk spins up. This FALSE message occurs only after turning on the DVR+ (take out of Standby) after the disk has spun down, and only when you do anything that causes the DVR+ to access the disk before it has time to spin back up. However, you can do other things before the disk spins up, such as browse the Guide, or adjust settings, and that message does not appear.

You do NOT have to disconnect the USB EHD to correct the issue. Just close the message window, and wait about 15 seconds before attempting to do anything that accesses the disk.
Funny !!! After reading your post and the part of quoted "CM needs to get on the ball".... Would searching and reading be a sign of needs to get on the ball :LOL:
post #11543 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I remember you discussed rolling back to 124R with @Paul210 to fix closed captions. Did you do that? Because this sounds like a bug 124R had.
post #11544 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Funny !!! After reading your post and the part of quoted "CM needs to get on the ball".... Would searching and reading be a sign of needs to get on the ball :LOL:
I agree that "searching and reading" is important, especially for new people. But 1) searching has its limits, and is only as useful as the standardized/non-standard terminology in the post. Searching for the text of an error message is one thing, but searching for a problem that the user doesn't understand and may not be able to accurately put into words is another thing. 2) It's not realistic to expect people to read 11,000+ messages to find the answer to a problem, especially when there is an army of CM's beta testers always present. But there is also a viable solution that I've mentioned before that would go a long way to solving this: Promote this thread to an actual forum. Doing so would allow for several sticky posts that would address the many issues with the DVR+. There could be a sticky containing all the error messages people see, another for common problems such as the loss of the red light when recording and yet another for basic "how to" questions. Do that and there might be only several hundred posts, spread out over a half a dozen or so threads that a reader would have to consider, and less than 100 posts they would have to read.

There is also a second solution. Some enterprising and knowledgeable person could write the "DVR+ Bible", 1st Edition and maybe even make some money in the process.
post #11545 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well thank you everyone. Now I see all I needed to do was wait 15 seconds and the recorded program guide is there! My usual oper modendi (sp?) was to turn on TV then DVR+ and immediately press DVR button then seeing the fail message did the reset routine, no realizing I had to wait for the drive spin up (thought the record guide was held in the DVR+ memory rather than drive, but frive makes more sense. Now I just need to say one thousand one, one thousand two...
CM troubleshoot guide does not address this quirk. I have not upgraded the software to 132, but I see it has problems with SlingTV so I held off.
Thanks for your advice.
post #11546 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not upgraded the software to 132, but I see it has problems with SlingTV so I held off.
But - if you're not on 132R then you're not using Sling TV now (at least on the DVR+), and even if you upgrade you don't have to start! So if that's all that's holding you back, go ahead and upgrade. You can even hide the Sling TV app until the next update comes out if you want.

132R does have that closed-caption delay issue though. That might be a better reason not to upgrade.
post #11547 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ajb View Post
Had the following quick Facebook chat with Channel Master. Thought I'd share.

ME:
What happened to Newsy? It was the only linear channel I actually watched and enjoyed. Why do the good ones keep dropping off your linear service?

Channel Master
3/16, 12:17am
Channel Master
Hi Alex, Newsy was in a beta launch. We will be making an announcement in a couple of days and the official version of Newsy will be available on our platform. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Not sure if you noticed but Newsy came back about a week ago. It moved from channel 205 to 203 though. I've been meaning to mention it but just now got around to it.
post #11548 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I had the exact but opposite problem last week. My powerline adapters would no longer connect, so I went back to using the Wi-Fi adapter and have not lost connection yet. It never stayed connected before on Wi-Fi but does now? Crazy stuff
pachinko likes this.
post #11549 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
The following happened a couple of times in the last hour. I was watching a channel I seldom watch, and the DVR+ had been on for about 30 minutes before I switched. After a couple of minutes on the new channel the screen went totally dark for a second, then came back. About 30 seconds later it did it again. I thought the signal reception was poor, so I just let it ride. After another minute or so had passed the screen went dark again, but this time it stayed dark. The status light on the DVR+ was bright blue, but none of the DVR+ related buttons on the remote control worked. I could not change channels, couldn't view the recordings list, couldn't go to the menus and I couldn't even use the On/Off button to turn off the DVR+. The volume control still worked for the TV. The only thing I could do was unplug the power cord from the back and do a cold boot. The DVR+ did its thing, and I went back to watching the channel. The same thing happened within 2 minutes, and I had to do another cold boot because the remote buttons were again no longer working. As soon as it booted back up I switched to another channel and have had no problems since. Anyone have an idea as to what was going on?

I had a similar issue when watching 1 channel. I thought it was a poor signal drop, and just ignored it till it got worse. I then noticed it happening while watching a recording of that same channel. I would rewind to see that quick black screen was not recorded? Then it did it while I had the guide on screen, and then I knew it was something other than signal because the guide went black with the rest. When I was moving the DVR+ to change from Ethernet back to Wi-Fi, it did it again just when I touched the machine, so I started touching cables lightly. I found it was the USB cable going to the hdd. I touch it and get black screen. I pulled it out, let the machine revert back to the internal drive, then plugged it back in and let it go back to the external drive. I have not seen that quick black screen since.
post #11550 of 17095 Old 03-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerhead View Post
I had a similar issue when watching 1 channel. I thought it was a poor signal drop, and just ignored it till it got worse. I then noticed it happening while watching a recording of that same channel. I would rewind to see that quick black screen was not recorded? Then it did it while I had the guide on screen, and then I knew it was something other than signal because the guide went black with the rest. When I was moving the DVR+ to change from Ethernet back to Wi-Fi, it did it again just when I touched the machine, so I started touching cables lightly. I found it was the USB cable going to the hdd. I touch it and get black screen. I pulled it out, let the machine revert back to the internal drive, then plugged it back in and let it go back to the external drive. I have not seen that quick black screen since.
No way that could be my problem. I have the 1TB unit, and the only time the USB port is used is when I update the firmware. I suppose it could still be a cable, though. Brand new HDMI cable and the antenna coax from the roof are the only two cables (other than the power cord) hooked up to it. I've been having a lot of signal quality problems, so before I relocate and install a new antenna I'll try a new run of coax and see if that makes a difference. I've never had the screen go black in any circumstance other than watching a channel, but I'll pay attention when I have other screens up if it happens again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page