Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 392 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #11731 of 16648 Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I would be just as green on a Mac!

If the CHM file is on a network drive, I understand Windows won’t open it for security reasons. Here’s a web page that might help (it shows the same screenshot as yours): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...e-was-canceled

Here’s some other ways to view any of the DVR+ Lister help pages:

1. When you unzipped the download for DVR+ Lister, did you retain the “Help Source” sub-directory? If you did, rename the CHM file so that DVR+ Lister won’t find it. Then, in DVR+ Lister, click the Help button and it should find the “DVR+ Lister – Help.html” file in that folder, and open page 1 of DVR+ Lister help in your web browser. Near the upper right of the page, hover over the “8” and it will show Q&A. Click the 8 to open the Q&A page in your web browser.

2. If you retained the “Help Source” folder you’ll find it contains all of the HTML files and support files (like images) from which the CHM was created. Locate the file named “DVR+ Lister - Q&A.html” in that folder, and double-click on it to open just that page in your web browser.

3. If you didn’t retain the “Help Source” folder, you can either unzip the download again, or you can make a new folder, copy “DVR+ Lister – Help.chm” into that folder, and unzip the CHM (yep, it should unzip, at least it does for me in Windows 10). Just double click the “DVR+ Lister - Q&A.html” file (or any of the other html files for that matter).

Please let me know if any of the above helped, as I would like to add this issue to the DVR+ Lister Q&A page for a future update (no date planned).
OK: you are going to make me work for my treat!

1. CHM file? Compiled HTML Help file? I renamed "DVR+ Lister - Help" to "DVR+ Lister - Help1" and when I click on Help in DVR+ Lister, I get the dialog box:
Quote:
HELP Not Found

The DVR+ Lister Help file was not found. Its name is:

'DVR+ Lister.chm'
which should be in folder:
C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/Downloads/DVR+ Lister (v15.7.3)

or

'DVR+ Lister - help.html'
C?/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/Downloads/DVR+ Lister (v15.7.3)/HELP/

[OK]
2. I did retain the Help Source folder. I seem to remember I had to download three or four separate files to combine them to recreate DVR+ Lister (I am really getting jealous that I do not have this much fun in Mac OS X !!!) and just kept everything, not knowing what I would delete.

This seems to give me 8 pages of information. And moved over to my Mac, it opens nicely in Google Chrome, too!

3. Moot!

Oh: WOW! You are the DVR+ Lister author; KUDOS!

Ah, OK: I see that I can use DVR+ Lister to copy specific files over to my Mac instead of using Windows Explorer; good feature!

I have a new question:

I have been using a 120Gb LaCie hard drive temporarily for storage on the DVR+, which is now 85% full. Tomorrow, I should receive a brand new WD 1T drive.

Is it possible to "clone" the existing two partitions over to the new drive so that it contains all of the files/information to date and continues from there; or am I forced to start over?

I see from the sample screenshots you are a big fan of the "rural" CBS shows of the 1960's. I will tell you a somewhat funny anecdote that occurred to me back in 1979:

Quote:
I was having lunch in Studio City not far from the CBS Studio Center when I "recognized" an older actress from my days watching TV as a youth and teenager.

I went over to say "Hello" and how much I enjoyed her work. She was sitting with an older gentleman and loving the attention. At the end of our chat, I said: "It was nice meeting you, Ms. Davis."

At this point, her face turned quizical and she said: "Who do you think I am, Bette Davis?"

I sheepishly said: "Aren't you Ann B. Davis?"

She flew into a tizzy about how she was Nancy Kulp and she was sitting with the producer of The Beverly Hillbillies, Paul Henning, and how dare I think she was Ann B. Davis!

[Of course both she and Ann B. Davis also starred in one of my favorite shows as a kid: "Love That Bob!"]

I learned my lesson and never made that mistake again!

Last edited by MichaelLAX; 04-11-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11732 of 16648 Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX View Post
OK: you are going to make me work for my treat!
Yep! Without feedback on issues, it's really difficult to attempt to improve things!

1. I need to study item 1 a bit more, but for now that's not as important to you as your new question (see below), since you can open the help file manually.

3. Yep, you figured it out all by yourself, DVR+ Lister will copy the recordings to your computer, with much better file names and date stamps. Here's a few more things to consider:
  • Do you know that there’s a option built into DVR+ Lister to aid in the conversion of the videos, using ffmpeg, or HandBrakeCLI? Just like the Copy feature, the output filenames will be the name of the show, etc.
  • Do you know that there’s an option to output data about the selected recordings to a Text file or to an Excel Spreadsheet, for whatever purpose you’d like?
  • Do you know that the DVR+ Lister Q&A describes a lot of DVR+ issues, and remedies, that might be easier to find in it than by searching this thread?

Quote:
I have a new question:

I have been using a 120Gb LaCie hard drive temporarily for storage on the DVR+, which is now 85% full. Tomorrow, I should receive a brand new WD 1T drive.

Is it possible to "clone" the existing two partitions over to the new drive so that it contains all of the files/information to date and continues from there; or am I forced to start over?
YES, but not as easy as you may be thinking. In general, after backing up any files delivered with your 1TB disk, attach the new disk to the DVR+ and allow it to format the disk (2 partitions). Note that if you format the disk on a computer, the DVR+ will INSIST of formatting it again, so don't bother. Next, attach the new disk to a computer (you should be able to use your Mac), and delete everything on both partitions (but not the partitions). Connect the old disk to the computer, and manually copy everything to the new disk (into the appropriate partitions of course). Reconnect the new 1TB disk to the DVR+ and test it out. If all went well, you can reclaim the old disk for other uses, or keep it for a time to make sure all is well on the new disk.

For a more detailed outline (I really don't think you will need it), open the DVR+ Lister help on the Q&A page, and search for "How do I migrate recordings from one DVR+ USB HDD to another USB HDD for the DVR+". In turn, it references the next Q&A, "How do I Reclaim the lost storage space on large USB HDDs formatted prior to DVR+ 124R, and retain all Recordings", which is a very similar process.

Best of luck with your new disk!
post #11733 of 16648 Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. CHM file? Compiled HTML Help file? I renamed "DVR+ Lister - Help" to "DVR+ Lister - Help1" and when I click on Help in DVR+ Lister, I get the dialog box:
Quote:
HELP Not Found

The DVR+ Lister Help file was not found. Its name is:

'DVR+ Lister.chm'
C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/Downloads/DVR+ Lister (v15.7.3)

or

'DVR+ Lister - help.html'
C?/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/Downloads/DVR+ Lister (v15.7.3)/HELP/
Thanks for documenting this! It's a bug in DVR+ Lister. Before posting the download, the sub-folder name was "HELP", and that's what the program looks for. I changed it to "Help Source" and neglected to adjust the coding in the program in version 15.7.3. Please rename the "Help Source" sub-folder to "HELP", then try the Help button again. The HTML help file should be found, and should open in your web browser.

Just for clarity, that question mark in your quote of the message is just a typo, right? It should be a colon. In the version that I'm working on (no date set for release), you'll be able to copy/paste the message instead of having to manually type it.

Quote:
2. I did retain the Help Source folder. I seem to remember I had to download three or four separate files to combine them to recreate DVR+ Lister (I am really getting jealous that I do not have this much fun in Mac OS X !!!) and just kept everything, not knowing what I would delete.
Yeah, one day the good folks at Apple may get around to catching up with the competition, and make things more enjoyable for their fans! FYI, there are two ways do download DVR+ Lister 15.7.3. One is to download the multi part spanning zip version, which was necessary because of the attachment size limitation on this forum. The other is to download a single zip file (from TinyUpload.com).

Quote:
3. Moot!

Oh: WOW! You are the DVR+ Lister author; KUDOS!
Thanks for the kudos!

Quote:
I see from the sample screenshots you are a big fan of the "rural" CBS shows of the 1960's. I will tell you a somewhat funny anecdote that occurred to me back in 1979:
Yeah, I like that old stuff! Your story sounds quite embarrassing, but you're right, Nancy Kulp and Ann Davis do look alike, different, but alike. Not sure why Kulp thought you meant Betty Davis since I don't see any resemblance. I guess just the first Davis that popped into her head!
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11734 of 16648 Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

OK!

I knew some of those features, but learned about more reading thorough the Help file; thanks!

My new WD Passport 1T portable HD came in and I was able to copy over both partition's files from the 120GB drive that I had been using. Actually once ext2fsd was launched in Windows, Parallels mounts both partitions of both drives on my Mac desktop and I could just copy the files over using the Mac Finder.

I purchased a USB "extension cord" and connected it to the back of the DVR+ and ran it through my home entertainment setup up to the desktop. This way I do not have to pull the DVR+ out of its shelf each time and plug in and out the USB. With the WD being able to draw power from the USB, it is easy to connect and disconnect it from the DVR+ now and move it back and forth to the Mac.

I found the Copy feature in DVR+ very handy, setting my default drive on the Mac as the destination. I was unable to find a "clean" copy of Handbrake 0.9.9 for Windows XP, so I continue to use Handbrake 0.10.5 on the Mac.

Also, Subler on the Mac is a great utility to import and insert metadata and artwork information on these files. It even can take a MKV file and convert it back to MP4, so that it works with iTunes/AppleTV without any further transcoding.

After transcoding with Handbrake, MPEG Streamclip is a handy tool to cut commercials out of these files and do a "Save As" without any further transcoding needed.

All of the "retro" TV & movie digital channels available to me here in Los Angeles is giving me much content to add to my collection.

That was indeed a typo "?" in my retyping of the dialog box.

I think it was more Nancy Kulp's ego: assuming that the Miss Davis I was referring to was Bette Davis! haha

Once again KUDOS for writing a very handy and useful tool for the DVR+!
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by MichaelLAX; 04-11-2016 at 09:52 PM.
post #11735 of 16648 Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Reception Woes

Love my ChannelMaster... but am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because my reception is terrible.

My TV fool report (attached) says I'm in great shape to get all my local stations. I have an AmazonBasics 50 mile antenna.

I get WDBJ, WFXR, WWCW and those low powered stations just fine. Signal strength and quality are both consistently 100.

However, WSET and WSLS have consistent signal strength 100 and signal quality 0.

I don't understand why because they're not that much closer/farther than stations I get just fine.

I tried unplugging the antenna's amp to see if that makes a difference (if the signal was too strong), but all it does is bring down my signal strength and doesn't improve signal quality.

Is there anything I can do? The DVR itself works great... when you can get the channels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 11.10.01 AM.png
Views:	150
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1374242  
post #11736 of 16648 Old 04-12-2016, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Heilman View Post
Love my ChannelMaster... but am trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong because my reception is terrible.

My TV fool report (attached) says I'm in great shape to get all my local stations. I have an AmazonBasics 50 mile antenna.

I get WDBJ, WFXR, WWCW and those low powered stations just fine. Signal strength and quality are both consistently 100.

However, WSET and WSLS have consistent signal strength 100 and signal quality 0.

I don't understand why because they're not that much closer/farther than stations I get just fine.

I tried unplugging the antenna's amp to see if that makes a difference (if the signal was too strong), but all it does is bring down my signal strength and doesn't improve signal quality.

Is there anything I can do? The DVR itself works great... when you can get the channels.
I think you need to better understand the TVFOOL report and what you are looking at and then you will clearly see what the issues are. If I understand you correctly what you think are low powered stations are not and you have stations that are being broadcast/transmitted in very different directions requiring 2 antennas or a rotor if outdoor.

Also TVFOOL is an estimate and not a true reflection of each location's issues with reception which may include trees, hills, manmade objects in the way of line of site to the transmitters.

Also if you are truly only 12 or so miles away I'm not understanding why you need and antenna with an AMP. Even if it is indoor. Are you not able to mount an outdoor antenna? That is still the best way to get digital reception in my book. You can position the antenna exactly in the direction of your broadcast towers.

Last edited by LenL; 04-12-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #11737 of 16648 Old 04-12-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Is it this antenna? http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-U.../dp/B00X4RAEZC

That antenna has no chance of getting your PBS affiliate, WBRA. It won't receive VHF-Lo signals.

The others should work though You have stations in two different directions but luckily for you, they're almost exactly 180 degrees apart. So a properly oriented antenna can pick up stations from both directions.

I'd try moving and/or rotating the antenna. I know the product page says "no pointing needed" but that's not true; this isn't an omnidirectional antenna. (Specifically, these "leaf" antennas are bidirectional: they'll receive signals from in front or from behind, but not from the side.)

Try to get it up as high as possible so it doesn't pick up reflections from people walking around the house.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-12-2016 at 01:59 PM.
post #11738 of 16648 Old 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Heilman View Post
If you plug the same antenna directly into your TV, do you have the same reception problems? If so, the DVR+ is not the problem, but rather you need to get the antenna higher (peak of attic, and not aimed through any foil-backed sheathing, or even above the roof outdoors if possible) and, as has been mentioned above, aimed correctly. If the TV, OTOH, receives WSET and WSLS A-ok, then indeed your DVR+ is the culprit.
post #11739 of 16648 Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That antenna has no chance of getting your PBS affiliate, WBRA. It won't receive VHF-Lo signals.
Try a $10 RCA Rabbit Ears/Loop indoor antenna at Best Buy. It gets VHF with the rabbit ears and UHF with the loop.

If it doesnt work, take it back.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #11740 of 16648 Old 04-12-2016, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Is it this antenna?

The others should work though You have stations in two different directions but luckily for you, they're almost exactly 180 degrees apart. So a properly oriented antenna can pick up stations from both directions.

I'd try moving and/or rotating the antenna. I know the product page says "no pointing needed" but that's not true; this isn't an omnidirectional antenna. (Specifically, these "leaf" antennas are bidirectional: they'll receive signals from in front or from behind, but not from the side.)

Try to get it up as high as possible so it doesn't pick up reflections from people walking around the house.
Thank you! I'm not antenna smart. Putting the antenna on the other wall (90 degree rotation) solved it. I get all the channels, minus the PBS affiliate. Clear all the time.

I took it for granted when it said "no pointing needed" -- I thought as long as the antenna was up a little bit, it would be fine. Glad to find out rotating it a little bit can make a HUGE difference.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #11741 of 16648 Old 04-13-2016, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DVR+ Listers shows Deleted Programs

Using pachinko's awesome DVR+ Lister program the first time, I noted my DVR+ external USB drive lists a lot more programs than I have on my DVR. After a little review I noted the color coding the program provides indicates all those extra programs were coded as deleted/missing.

Sure enough, all of those shows are ones I had recored and watched and then deleted. The actual video of those shows is gone, but there is something remaining in DVR+ for those old deleted programs. This is NOT all of the shows I've deleted, just a small portion of them.

I'm wondering if this is just DVR+ not doing a good job of housekeeping its database or if it's something I've done wrong.

Also, I assume it's not an issue, but I'm wondering if that might make for a performance issue with DVR listing of recorded shows since there are many programs no longer actually on the DVR.

Any thoughts?
post #11742 of 16648 Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post
Using pachinko's awesome DVR+ Lister program the first time, I noted my DVR+ external USB drive lists a lot more programs than I have on my DVR. After a little review I noted the color coding the program provides indicates all those extra programs were coded as deleted/missing.

Sure enough, all of those shows are ones I had recored and watched and then deleted. The actual video of those shows is gone, but there is something remaining in DVR+ for those old deleted programs. This is NOT all of the shows I've deleted, just a small portion of them.

I'm wondering if this is just DVR+ not doing a good job of housekeeping its database or if it's something I've done wrong.

Also, I assume it's not an issue, but I'm wondering if that might make for a performance issue with DVR listing of recorded shows since there are many programs no longer actually on the DVR.

Any thoughts?
Connect the drive to your DVR+ and go to Settings/DVR/Schedule. Scroll down and you will find those deleted shows listed within the schedule. You can highlight them and delete the listing for them.

Mark
post #11743 of 16648 Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Sling TV just announced a new multi-stream package. It's called "Best of Live TV-Multi-Stream" (still in beta). It's also $20/mo and includes many of the same channels in the regular (single stream) Best of Live TV package. The notable channel differences are the new package doesn't include EPSN or Disney. However, the new package DOES include FOX and FOX Sports, as well as National Geographic and a few other extra channels.

Both are $20/mo. It doesn't look like you can be subscribed to both at the same time on the same account.

Of course, the biggest difference between the two is you can watch different channels on different devices at the same time (multi-stream) with a single account. Thus, if you have a Channel Master DVR+ in one room and, say, a Roku 3 in another room... You could watch Fox Sports in one room while you wife watches National Geographic in another room. All with just one account and just one fee of $20/mo.

Reportedly, Sling is in negotiations with Disney and ESPN to allow multi-stream. Perhaps there will only be one package in the future with even more channels?

In the meantime, you can review the channel differences here:

https://www.sling.com/service/compare

Mark
danshane and JHBrandt like this.
post #11744 of 16648 Old 04-13-2016, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Keep paying for all they want to add and you might as well go back to cable or satellite.
kwg likes this.
post #11745 of 16648 Old 04-13-2016, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2NV View Post

Any thoughts?
You’re not doing anything wrong, and neither is the DVR+. When you instruct the DVR+ to delete a recording, it may or may not actually delete it right away (usually it takes some time), but it does immediately change the value of a flag in one of the data files (those files located in the 1st partition on the disk). The flag is what the DVR+ uses when deciding what recordings appear in the Recordings List, as well as if “New”, Viewed, Locked, etc.

When DVR+ Lister reads the data file, it uses that flag to determine the background color of recordings, and if the file size should be shown as a negative. Most of the time you’ll not care about those files, but there is one case where you would. That’s if you accidentally delete an important recording. Unfortunately, the DVR+ does NOT provide a way to undelete recordings. However, if you act quickly, there’s a chance that you can copy the deleted recording to a computer, and DVR+ Lister can assist you in identifying that recording. If you accidentally delete a recording, disconnect the USB HDD from the DVR+ as quickly as you can, even if that means cancelling a recording that’s in progress (if you can make that sacrifice). Then connect the disk to a computer, and if the recording still exists, copy the “deleted” TS file(s) to the computer (the recordings are all in the 2nd partition on the disk, and you don't need the data files). Currently there is no way to make the “deleted” recording work on the DVR+.

If you don’t wish to see the deleted/missing recordings in DVR+ Lister, click the “Set Filters” button, and put a check mark in the boxes for “Hide Deleted”, and “Hide Missing”. Uncheck them should you wish those recordings to appear.
post #11746 of 16648 Old 04-13-2016, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
If you don’t wish to see the deleted/missing recordings in DVR+ Lister, click the “Set Filters” button, and put a check mark in the boxes for “Hide Deleted”, and “Hide Missing”. Uncheck them should you wish those recordings to appear.
I saw this feature and used it to see just the recordings I wanted to potentapially copy. That's another nice feature of the DVR+ Lister program.

And thanks for the clarification on the "deleted programs" and the tip on recovering a accidentally deleted program.

Mark
pachinko likes this.
post #11747 of 16648 Old 04-14-2016, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Keep paying for all they want to add and you might as well go back to cable or satellite.
Unless you want both Fox and Disney you need not pay for both feeds. I switched to the new beta program yesterday. It replaces ESPN and the Disney channels with FOX stations (sports, FX, etc.), but the main reason I went for it is that it can be streamed on up to three devices simultaneously instead of just one. I am still paying only $25 for the Best Of beta and Hollywood Extras. (Gotta have my TCM.)

I've not watched it long enough to see if it proves more stable than the old feed. I am hoping it means the end of the dropouts back to live TV.

I suspect the beta program will merge with the standard feed once Disney approves multiple streams.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #11748 of 16648 Old 04-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
A lot people 'cord cut' as an act of defiance. For those people, spending almost as much for almost as much is rewarding. Most cord cutters keep score in some way. I keep score. I would switch back to cable in a minute if the price was right and the content was amazing. In fact, while I first installed an antenna to deal with extended outages, in the back of my mind, I was hoping it would give me leverage in dealing with Comcast. I am done with Netflix -- not because it costs too much, but I am not finding much value in their programming. I would add Sling TV if they made Fox/YES and Disney/ESPN add-ons and allowed the subscriber to choose an add-on as part of their $20 package (I would choose the Hollywood add-on).

We constantly compare satellite and terrestrial options to broadcast. Right now, our premium options do not compare favorably to broadcast television.

I don't think cable is too expensive. I think it does not provide enough value.
post #11749 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Was the Free FLATenna Promotion a complete flop?

Did anyone actually get a free FLATenna 35 via the CM promotion this morning (8AM Pacific)? Lots of complaints on CM Facebook page. I'll admit to wasting an hour, but after the first 5 minutes it just became a quest. I got a far as filling in my name, address, etc on the check out page, but couldn't go beyond that (either Server too Busy, or Service Unavailable). I haven't worked for such little pay ever!
jsutton2871 likes this.
post #11750 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Did anyone actually get a free FLATenna 35 via the CM promotion this morning (8AM Pacific)? Lots of complaints on CM Facebook page. I'll admit to wasting an hour, but after the first 5 minutes it just became a quest. I got a far as filling in my name, address, etc on the check out page, but couldn't go beyond that (either Server too Busy, or Service Unavailable). I haven't worked for such little pay ever!
I got one. I simply waited until after the initial site problems were ironed out and then logged in and got the antenna. The site was still sluggish - but manageable starting about 20 minutes after the hour.
pachinko likes this.
post #11751 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No more freebies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
A lot people 'cord cut' as an act of defiance. For those people, spending almost as much for almost as much is rewarding. Most cord cutters keep score in some way. I keep score. I would switch back to cable in a minute if the price was right and the content was amazing.
Wow, you sure DO keep score - that's quite a "score card" you posted!
And I agree with you - I loved having cable, but the price kept creeping up to the point where it no longer was a reasonable value.
So my act of defiance is now in its 6th year.
I was hoping my antenna/DVR+ solution would only be temporary until bundling was replaced by a la carte, but that sure is not likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.

=================================================

As for the free antenna promotion, I knew their web site would be overwhelmed by all the traffic, and sure enough it took almost an hour to get through all the screens. I think my order made it through, although I have yet to get any emailed confirmation.
The offer is now over - here's the current message:

"Sorry! FLATennas are out of stock. If you missed our Free Antenna Day promotion, you can sign up for alerts at the bottom of this page to be notified about future promotions."

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #11752 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Mark me down as another one who could not ever get through. I started trying within one minute of 8 AM and only got as far as populating my cart with one. I tried calling CM three different times and was told each time to keep trying, the servers were down. It looks a bit sketchy to me. Is that company really that LAME? Wow!
post #11753 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 316
They are lame and have customer communication issues.

They told us that there was another firmware release coming and it could be in March but most likely April. March came and went and now we are halfway through April and still nothing.

Meanwhile we are living with programming bugs.
post #11754 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

That was exactly what happened to me including becoming a quest.
pachinko likes this.
post #11755 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
Wow, you sure DO keep score - that's quite a "score card" you posted!
It's not a particularly good list. I just wanted to put together a comprehensive list people could use to wrap their heads around the cost of cord cutting. Most people will not buy most of what I bought. In fact, I was doing Netflix and PlayOn before cutting the cord and a lot of the hardware would have been purchased even if I did not cut the cord. I just bought four antennas and two Raspberry PIs. I didn't need the antennas and, even though the PIs will probably end up being set top boxes, I bought them to learn about the PI. I did clarify...

Quote:
If I were starting off right now, knowing what I know, I would purchase the items I have highlighted in RED. Those items are more than adequate for my needs. Those items would cost $936 or $15.60 per month over five years. The comparable cable setup would be $152/month. Savings would be $152-$55-$16=$81/month or $4860 over five years.
  • High Speed Internet: $46.99/month
  • Netflix: $7.99/month
  • Netgear R6300: $150
  • 91XG (2): $124
  • Y10-7-13: $60
  • EDA-2800: $55
  • RCA TVPRAMP1R: $22
  • Channel Master DVR+ (3): $525
I mostly feel the same a year later. I think I am going to post about what I would buy right now on the anniversary of that list's creation.

Quote:
And I agree with you - I loved having cable, but the price kept creeping up to the point where it no longer was a reasonable value.
So my act of defiance is now in its 6th year.
May will be six years for me. There was a lot of animosity in that final phone call. I still recall the day with euphoria.

One of the reasons why I keep score is that one of the goals of the project was to return 50% of savings to our entertainment budget. My total spend is up to $5,750 after 71 months. Savings would be $152-$55-$16=$81/month or $5,751 over five years. In that, I guess this has been a failure. Of course, my cable bill would not likely have remained the same for six years. If you take sixteen of the DVRs out of the equation (because I only had one when I left Comcast), the numbers are much better ($5,751/$2,750=52% savings).

Quote:
I was hoping my antenna/DVR+ solution would only be temporary until bundling was replaced by a la carte, but that sure is not likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.
I never expected OTT to replace television. I still do not see that happening. we still watch OTA >90% of the time. I would have considered satellite on one set until I got my roof replaced -- no more fireworks, and no more satellite dishes. I would consider cable. In fact, I do regularly look at the options. So far, I have not been tempted...

We get three PBS stations and their sub-channels, a CBS and Decades, three ABCs, Heroes and Icons, and MeTV, an NBC and This TV, a Fox with Movies and Laff, a MyTV, a CW with BuzzTV, Cozi, The Works, Bounce, GetTV, Escape, and ION with Qubo and Ion Life. Some of these stations are not carried by Comcast in my market.

PBS's sub-channels (Create, Explore, Kids, World) are very similar to a lot of the 'cable filler channels' -- except that there is more HD programming and commercials are supplemented with fund raisers.
post #11756 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
We get three PBS stations and their sub-channels, a CBS and Decades, three ABCs, Heroes and Icons, and MeTV, an NBC and This TV, a Fox with Movies and Laff, a MyTV, a CW with BuzzTV, Cozi, The Works, Bounce, GetTV, Escape, and ION with Qubo and Ion Life...
<sputter!> What, no AntennaTV?
Here in the Los Angeles market we have a similar line-up, with the addition of AntennaTV and, most-recently, Comet (Vintage Sci-Fi).

Bringing this subject back to the DVR+, even with the cord cut, my problem isn't finding content to watch, it's finding the time to watch everything I've recorded before my 1TB drive hits 95% capacity and I start getting those warnings!
pachinko likes this.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #11757 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

$50 off on DVR+ 16GB, this weekend only

For those who may not know yet, and who are thinking about purchasing a 16GB DVR+, to make up for today's FLATenna fiasco, CM is offering $50 off the 16GB DVR+ for 2 days. Here's what they said in an email to me (and on facebook too):

Quote:
We may not have FLATennas right now, but we’d like to offer you something special, a one-time deep discount on our DVR+. For this weekend only, you can use code WEBCRASH at checkout to get $50 off the 16GB model DVR+. Black Friday pricing in April! Limit one per customer.
jsutton2871 and jericko76 like this.
post #11758 of 16648 Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
DFW has pretty much the same OTA lineup, although the secondary channels are affiliated with different primary channels here.

Main things we're missing are Comet, Retro TV, and The Works. We do get Grit TV and may get Retro back if KVFW ever gets their act together, but I'd trade Grit for Comet if I could.
post #11759 of 16648 Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Antenna TV is carried locally on WBIN. It's not far away (20 miles), but it is low power and southwest of me (all other UHF stations are due south), so, reception is sketchy. I'm not sufficiently interested in the programming to work on reception.

This may be one of those things that solves itself after the spectrum repacking. If WBIN moves to VHF, I think I can pull in their main transmitter in Hudson. I already have a VHF antenna pointed that way. They hold permits for three VHF stations due west of me. I think I could pull in the Manchester station in (if it ever starts transmitting).

One of the things I like about the DVR+ is the USB disks. I have a bunch of 1/2t usb disks for use with the DVR+s. I use them like giant VHS tapes. Like you, I record more than I can watch. Then again, there is always something on.

Talk about your first world problems.
post #11760 of 16648 Old 04-16-2016, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
For people in Burlington, Plattsburgh, Montreal areas, WPTZ now broadcast CW (position 5.2) in HD 720p 59.94 frame per second instead of 480i 16:9. The biterate on NBC was reduced to arround 9 mbps and the biterate for cw is now arround 5 mbps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page