Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 393 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4204Likes

post #11761 of 16755 Old 04-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 277
What does a flashing red light mean?

My DVR+ was recording in standby mode last night, and when I pressed the button to turn it on the red light flickered for a second, then went bright. After about a second it blinked slowly a for about 7-8 seconds, maybe about once per second. Is this just goofy behavior, or does it mean something specific? For the last day or so before this happened I also noticed that when I was pressing the button to jump forward (30 seconds per jump) it would delay a split second, then do nothing on the second press of the button. That cycle repeated, with a split second delay when it jumped forward, and no action on every other press of the button. After I saw the red light blinking I waited until the recording had completed then yanked the power cord for a few seconds. Naturally, when I did this I had to reset the clock when it rebooted since both power interruptions and poor signal quality seem to wreak havoc with the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11762 of 16755 Old 04-17-2016, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I changed my Sling subscription on my DVR+ to the new $20 30-channel package and I like it. The local Fox Sport affiliate (Fox Sports Detroit) has been great and well worth the trade for the two ESPN's I lost (since cutting the cord the local sports that are on the Fox Sports Detroit like the Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons have been the toughest losses for me).

But....there is an issue. The drop outs that plagued Sling on the dvr+ for several months till the bugs were worked out seem to be back on the new package. I've had several spontaneous drop outs. Hopefully it was just a fluke and if it is problem they might be able to fix it quicker since they worked out similar bugs on the other subscription.
post #11763 of 16755 Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2792 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
I don't think the Sling dropouts were ever truly resolved. Sling may have added more server capacity to make them less common, but the new multi-stream package is probably increasing server load, so you're starting to see them again.

CM once told us a firmware update with a permanent fix would be ready by April:
Quote:
If you look at any of the detailed descriptions of the 132R issues, you'll see:
Quote:
We have identified the potential root cause and working on a fix in the next software update targeted for release date sometime in March or April.
So it looks like relief is less than 60 days away. The Sling app issue is the biggie, of course.
Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) CM has now updated their web page to say "in the near future" instead of "March or April," so I wouldn't bet the farm on them making their original deadline, but with luck we may have the fix before summertime.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-17-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Rechecked CM's web page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11764 of 16755 Old 04-17-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I don't think the Sling dropouts were ever truly resolved. Sling may have added more server capacity to make them less common, but the new multi-stream package is probably increasing server load, so you're starting to see them again.

CM once told us a firmware update with a permanent fix would be ready by April:

Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) CM has now updated their web page to say "in the near future" instead of "March or April," so I wouldn't bet the farm on them making their original deadline, but with luck we may have the fix before summertime.
I just checked the CM News, Alerts & Software Downloads page for Sling TV App on DVR+ terminates and forces user back to Live Broadcast TV, and it still says March or April. Are you looking at some other page? The other "issues" listed on the Alerts page still say March or April too.
post #11765 of 16755 Old 04-18-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
While is may say March or April, you have take note that it does not say 2016!
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #11766 of 16755 Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I just checked the CM News, Alerts & Software Downloads page for Sling TV App on DVR+ terminates and forces user back to Live Broadcast TV, and it still says March or April. Are you looking at some other page? The other "issues" listed on the Alerts page still say March or April too.
Oops - it says both:
Quote:
We have identified the potential root cause and working on a fix in the next software updated targeted for release date sometime in March or April. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we work behind the scenes to get this software issue corrected.

It's important to note that this issue is not related to hardware nor does it mean your unit is defective, this is a minor software bug which we hope to have corrected in the near future.
I just saw "in the near future" and my cynicism kicked in
pachinko likes this.
post #11767 of 16755 Old 04-18-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I also switched to the new "beta" multi-stream. I don't watch Disney and I'm more likely to watch NatGeo or FX. Plus, Fox Sports San Diego (Padres).

Mark
post #11768 of 16755 Old 04-18-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
I also switched to the new "beta" multi-stream. I don't watch Disney and I'm more likely to watch NatGeo or FX. Plus, Fox Sports San Diego (Padres).

Mark
Mark, you have most annoying advertisement as your sign and same purpose huge logo in all your posts among posters, it's become really nuisance by taking half of web page literally.
It's time to cut it and give the space back to posts of our members!
LenL likes this.
post #11769 of 16755 Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Mark, you have most annoying advertisement as your sign and same purpose huge logo in all your posts among posters, it's become really nuisance by taking half of web page literally.
It's time to cut it and give the space back to posts of our members!
Are you talking about my avatar? Hardly an ad and I'm not selling anything.

On my iPad, your message is only slightly smaller than mine. Your avatar isn't as tall, but your overall post isn't significantly shorter than mine. So, I don't understand what you are talking about.

Mark
post #11770 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Perhaps viewing it on an IPAD is covering up what Smith and the rest of us using laptops or desktops are seeing.
Smith is correct with his comment.
post #11771 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Or: UserCP, Settings & Options, Edit Options, Thread Display Options, Uncheck Avatars. They are not very useful. Uncheck Signatures to save more space.
Kelson, kwg, blakepro and 1 others like this.
post #11772 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Perhaps viewing it on an IPAD is covering up what Smith and the rest of us using laptops or desktops are seeing.
Smith is correct with his comment.
Not really "the rest of us." Looks okay on my Windows desktop and tablet screens using Chrome.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #11773 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
Not really "the rest of us." Looks okay on my Windows desktop and tablet screens using Chrome.
Thank you!

I'm at a loss to understand what these guys are talking about. Here is a screen grab (done on my computer) of my previous message, plus the two messages posted after that message. This is what I see on my computer with the browser window set to about 1600 pixels wide:

If my "message box" is larger than the other two, it's only larger by a very small amount. And the lines in my signature aren't wasting space. The waste of space is the complete emptiness at the bottom of the other two messages.

Mark
post #11774 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Perhaps if you looked at 11772 the message in question it would be better!

You have one line of text but on my screen you take up 13.5 mm. More screen space than other people with many lines of text.

The problem is your avatar and your 3 lines of stuff at the bottom of your text that is embedded in every one of your posts.

You think it is cool and OK... fine. We are just pointing out that you are taking up lots of real estate on our screens and in the forum that most others don't do.

You then compounded it by attaching all these posts!

Let's get back to talking about the DVR+ and the firmware release we are waiting for!
post #11775 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
You have one line of text but on my screen you take up 13.5 mm.
Must be a small screen (For US readers, that's barely over half an inch.)

Seriously, though, just turn off avatars as @JoeKustra suggested and everything looks much more compact.

The post height is the taller of the text/sig height and the height of the info on the left. So if it's a short post with a tall avatar, there's a lot of wasted space. Not just Mark Booth's posts but most of them.

I didn't even turn off sigs. Mark's 3-line sig isn't exceptionally long once you kill those avatars.
post #11776 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
I didn't even turn off sigs. Mark's 3-line sig isn't exceptionally long once you kill those avatars.
I leave them enabled also. Sometimes there is insight as to the poster's "sensitivities".
JHBrandt likes this.
post #11777 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I thought I was in a time warp for a while there and looked to make sure I didn't have my 1200 baud modem on the shelf ... c'mon, really? Complaining about someone's avatar and signature?

For Mark and others using the new stream from SlingTV, are you still experiencing drop outs? I'm wondering if those with the original stream are having them too (and it's never been resolved) or if it's just a case of getting things tuned in correctly on their side.
Mark Booth and richart like this.
post #11778 of 16755 Old 04-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sling TV Dropouts and Freezes

I have had the original Sling TV since it was introduced on CM. At first I had quite a few dropouts and freezes. Last month I logged into the settings with the intention of dropping the service and found there was four signal levels. Default was unlimited. I changed my level to high which I believe was 2.8 megs. Since then I have had much fewer problems. The picture appeared to be similar quality just fewer problems. I had been ready to drop Sling TV now I find it is not perfect but better. For reference I have Internet service that tests out at 10 to 12 mb throughput.

I do not consider this a 'cure' but a patch to improve things while waiting for a fix.

Has anyone else tried different signal levels and noticed any improvement?

artisticimaging and JHBrandt like this.
post #11779 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
FYI- two of the three Channel Master IR extenders I have installed have failed within a year. I replaced them with the Inteset Technologies #INT-IR38TX from Amazon ($12.95 with prime free shipping). I can confirm they work with the Channel Master DVR+ and the performance is actually better than the Channel Master brand IR extenders (better range, quicker response, no double-tapping keys).
post #11780 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierdude View Post
FYI- two of the three Channel Master IR extenders I have installed have failed within a year. I replaced them with the Inteset Technologies #INT-IR38TX from Amazon ($12.95 with prime free shipping). I can confirm they work with the Channel Master DVR+ and the performance is actually better than the Channel Master brand IR extenders (better range, quicker response, no double-tapping keys).
Is the Inteset extender noticeably better than the stock IR 'eye' that is on the actual DVR+ unit? I find that I really have to point the remote at the box (reminds of my first remote/tv combos of the 1980's). I thought the cure was going to be to get the Logitech Harmony that would possibly have a more intense beam than the stock remote but I still have to point it pretty much at the dvr so I'm thinking it might be the receptor that is weak. I don't really need the extender but might be interested if it made the box more receptive to the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
For Mark and others using the new stream from SlingTV, are you still experiencing drop outs? I'm wondering if those with the original stream are having them too (and it's never been resolved) or if it's just a case of getting things tuned in correctly on their side.
I feel the dropouts were basically resolved but are now back with the new service (although not nearly as severe). Hopefully they work the bugs out again.
post #11781 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
I find that I really have to point the remote at the box (reminds of my first remote/tv combos of the 1980's). I thought the cure was going to be to get the Logitech Harmony that would possibly have a more intense beam than the stock remote but I still have to point it pretty much at the dvr so I'm thinking it might be the receptor that is weak.
You might try the Scotch tape trick first: put a piece of Scotch transparent tape over the IR eye on the DVR+. That will scatter any IR light coming in at an angle, so that hopefully more light will make it to the photo-transistor.

You can also try Scotch tape over the IR LED in the remote, to scatter the exiting beam if the remote itself is too directional.
jsutton2871 likes this.
post #11782 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I thought I was in a time warp for a while there and looked to make sure I didn't have my 1200 baud modem on the shelf ... c'mon, really? Complaining about someone's avatar and signature?

I was watching the Padres game via Fox Sports San Diego on Sling TV's new beta multi-stream last night. I watched for about an hour before going to bed. There was a single instance of the picture sort of freezing for a split second. The audio wasn't interrupted, just the picture.

I don't know if that is the type of drop out you are referring to, but it was certainly brief enough to not be a concern to me.

Mark
post #11783 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think @fshagan was talking about the bug where Sling TV will randomly stop playing completely, and switch back to live TV. It's been a persistent annoyance since the DVR+ Sling app was introduced.
post #11784 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
I think @fshagan was talking about the bug where Sling TV will randomly stop playing completely, and switch back to live TV. It's been a persistent annoyance since the DVR+ Sling app was introduced.
This is what I was referring to ... dropping completely back to live TV. That's a deal breaker for me and one reason I haven't adopted SlingTV. The new stream package is closer to what I would want, but I'm going to wait until the service is a bit more robust.
post #11785 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I figured I'd wait until CM releases the next firmware update, then another week or two to see if anyone's still having issues with Sling. Then if it looks like it's fixed, I'll sign up for my free trial.

I suspect once it's out of beta, multi-streaming will become the base option for everyone. Hopefully Sling can get Disney (which owns ESPN) on board with it; if not, they'll probably just move ESPN/ESPN2 to the sports add-on and Disney to the kids add-on.
wizwor likes this.
post #11786 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A couple of months ago I stumbled upon a method of providing an AVS Forum URL that will work no matter what your post per page setting is. I posted what I found but I'm posting it again with the hope that others will pick up on it. It doesn’t do anything about the ever changing post numbers, but with a universal link the post number is relatively unimportant.

Here’s what to do:

1. Right click on the post number at the upper right of the desired post, and click “Copy Link Location” (or whatever it may be labeled in your browser).

2. Paste the link somewhere (in the reply, in a text editor, etc), so that you can modify it a little bit. Below is an example of what it might look like (came from the post to which I’m replying, and my post per page count is 100). I had to use some blank spaces in the URL to get the URL to display, so ignore them.

http: //www. avsforum. com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-93.html#post36414466
I discovered a simpler way to "universalize" a URL like that when posting. Just enter [POST]36414466[/POST]! The result is https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36414466 and the link is universal.

Alternatively, you can enter [POST=36414466]your own text[/POST] and the result is a universal link with your own text!

Of course, that only works when posting; if you need to "universalize" a URL from someone else's post, you still have to fix the link in your browser's address bar using Pachinko's original method..
post #11787 of 16755 Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
I discovered a simpler way to "universalize" a URL like that when posting. Just enter [POST]36414466[/POST]! The result is https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36414466 and the link is universal.

Alternatively, you can enter [POST=36414466]your own text[/POST] and the result is a universal link with your own text!

Of course, that only works when posting; if you need to "universalize" a URL from someone else's post, you still have to fix the link in your browser's address bar using Pachinko's original method..
I like it! It's definitely going on the DVR+ Lister's Q&A page, and I updated my signatures page for "Make AVS Forum Links that work for all posts per page settings" to link your post on this.

FYI, hovering over the links in your post reveals the "univesalized" URL, which can be copied using a right-click. Clicking the Quote button on your post clearly reveals what you've described about the "POST" tags.
post #11788 of 16755 Old 04-21-2016, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
Is the Inteset extender noticeably better than the stock IR 'eye' that is on the actual DVR+ unit? I find that I really have to point the remote at the box (reminds of my first remote/tv combos of the 1980's). I thought the cure was going to be to get the Logitech Harmony that would possibly have a more intense beam than the stock remote but I still have to point it pretty much at the dvr so I'm thinking it might be the receptor that is weak. I don't really need the extender but might be interested if it made the box more receptive to the remote.

I don't have the extender directly in the DVR+ unit, they are in other rooms. So far, they are definitely better than the Channel Master IR extenders, so it may be worth $12 to test it out directly with the DVR+. I am using the Logitech Harmony Ultimate remote with the Harmony hub at the DVR+ and that has worked flawlessly.
post #11789 of 16755 Old 04-21-2016, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi all -- This is my first post in this particular forum, though I've been semi-active for many years in the Standard-def DVR and local HDTV fora for the 2 TV markets from which I can receive broadcast stations (Austin + Waco/Temple/Killeen Texas). I've used a CM-7000 Pal as my primary DVR since the digital switchover, and while it has idiosyncracies the performance has generally been okay. However, it's begun to exhibit too many symptoms which (from reading through many of the excellent posts here) strongly indicate both a failing HDD as well as bulging caps (possibly issues with the tuner/demodulator chip as well). I have a good friend with much electronics experience who I'll actually get to do the internal repairs on this unit at some point, but am curious about the HDD options. The 2.5" WD10JUCT + bracket option is what I'm likely to go with, but having just installed a new SSD into my desktop in replacing the failed OEM HDD (then recovering the OS and drive contents from a backup image), I've wondered if that were a potential hardware option for the CM-7000 Pal.

My query to the forum wizards is simple, since I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the previous posts (and absolutely detest the search engine on this site as it's really immune to a narrowed focus and returns hits like a short-barreled shotgun with no choke) -- has anyone successfully installed a SSD into the CM-7000 chassis in lieu of the standard rotating-platter HDD option, and if so, were there particular selection considerations involved, or possibly setup tweaks or settings to the drive in advance that were required prior to the install?

Thanks in advance for any/all responses (even snarky ones, I suppose).
post #11790 of 16755 Old 04-21-2016, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The disk will not show up in Windows Explorer, or any other file manager because Windows does not assign drive letters to disks formatted for Linux (which the DVR+ uses). If you do not care about the files on the disk, and all you want to do is format it for Windows (which will assign drive letters after formatting), than just use the Windows Disk Management tool. It will see the disk, and all you have to do is delete the 2 partitions on the DVR+ disk, then reformat the way you would like.

If you want to access the files on the DVR+ disk before you format it for Windows, you'll have to install a program like Ext2Fsd. That program will assign drive letters to the Linux formatted disk (you may have to manually assign the letters), and Windows Explorer will see those drive letters.
Thanks pachinko!
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page