Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 398 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4224Likes

post #11911 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by tballister View Post
My vote would be a minor UI for adding stations by specific call letters if/when necessary.
Given that the DVR+ is built on a Linux platform it is kind of strange that no one in the community has jailbroken it yet. Is it possible that the DVR+ customer base as a whole isn't nerdy enough? On the other hand, JHBrandt's suggestion regarding an API to allow optional functionality and features seems like it would go a long way to solving many of the problems, and E* could just sit back and watch while others cleaned up their mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
For me the prior posts on tinkering with zip code to get desired results points out a fundamental challenge to zip code based EPG.

This morning I had an email from someone located equidistant between Milwaukee and Chicago. Half the stations he wants are to the north, and the other half to the south.

How can he ever get both subsets included by choosing a single zip code? Tivo has a "secondary" zip code that can be entered; does the DVR+ ? Seems to me even with the option to put in a secondary zip code there will remain a small percentage of cases where even that won't be sufficient. [High density population areas, as well as remote areas served by translators from multiple directions.]

My vote would be a minor UI for adding stations by specific call letters if/when necessary.
May I ask your friends zipcode? I checked the channels listed for my zipcode and it's impossible for me to receive most of them. But I would like to see what Gracenote would provide your friend.

Rovi uses your zipcode to find your DMA. It's the DMA that determines your channels.
post #11913 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
For me the prior posts on tinkering with zip code to get desired results points out a fundamental challenge to zip code based EPG.

This morning I had an email from someone located equidistant between Milwaukee and Chicago. Half the stations he wants are to the north, and the other half to the south.

How can he ever get both subsets included by choosing a single zip code? Tivo has a "secondary" zip code that can be entered; does the DVR+ ? Seems to me even with the option to put in a secondary zip code there will remain a small percentage of cases where even that won't be sufficient. [High density population areas, as well as remote areas served by translators from multiple directions.]

If Rovi did their job properly, he should receive the proper information from both markets. I get half of my channels from Montreal and the other half from Burlington, Vermont and everything is perfectly handle in the guide using my canadian postal code.
JoeKustra, JHBrandt and dishrag2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11914 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:

How can he ever get both subsets included by choosing a single zip code? My vote would be a minor UI for adding stations by specific call letters if/when necessary.
I'd go one better: in most cases a station could be identified automatically based on its RF channel, display channel, and 7-character PSIP call sign. So Rovi should just identify whatever stations the DVR+ is receiving and provide the guide data for those stations "automagically" without even needing a Zip or Canadian postal code!

In a few cases, one may still need to manually identify a station by its call sign as you describe, so that option should also be available.
pamajestic and pachinko like this.
post #11915 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi Folks.

I'm sure this topic has been gone over countless times before, but I'm having the darndest time finding a hard drive that will work (for a long period of time) with my DVR+.

l have purchased 2 or 3 hard drives since I purchased my DVR+ when they first came out a couple of years ago. Last August I thought I was going to fix the issue because I chose one of the Seagate hard drives on the "approved" list (STBV3000100).

However, it's been 10 months and now I'm thinking this drive is dying on me. I've noticed an excessive amount of garbaldygook on my screen when trying to record. I change the channel and everything works for a bit longer and then garbaldygook again. Yes, I've done all the normal disk things that we are supposed to do to keep the drive running smoothly. The last time I had this garbaldygook the hard drive was the culprit.

Are there any hard drives that are going to last longer than 1 year with the DVR+??? This one lasted even less than the first one I used (Seagate 4TB Backup Plus). (I'm on 114R) Thanks.

Last edited by SeattleSounder; 05-02-2016 at 11:48 AM.
post #11916 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Rovi uses your zipcode to find your DMA. It's the DMA that determines your channels.
Thanks for that clarification; duly noted. But note also that some DMA's don't cross state lines, if not all. Admittedly not sure about the "all" part, but its true in my own case.
post #11917 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
May I ask your friends zipcode?
60099 - centered within a couple of miles between Milwaukee & Chicago.
post #11918 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'd go one better: in most cases a station could be identified automatically based on its RF channel, display channel, and 7-character PSIP call sign. So Rovi should just identify whatever stations ...
I like it! I've changed my vote.
post #11919 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
60099 - centered within a couple of miles between Milwaukee & Chicago.
Your friend is very lucky. The OTA listing for his zipcode has both Chicago and Milwaukee. There must be 50 channels. So if Rovi is as good as Gracenote, there is no problem with the lineup. As for the antenna, well you'll have to do research on rabbitears. I think his DMA would be Chicago.
post #11920 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that clarification; duly noted. But note also that some DMA's don't cross state lines, if not all. Admittedly not sure about the "all" part, but its true in my own case.
Just follow the link. That Illinois DMA is 50% Indiana. Just look for the one starting with WBBM. You're far from a state line, as am I, but my lineup includes a station in Delaware. True, a DMA is not 100% pure. It's just a starting point.
post #11921 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSounder View Post
Are there any hard drives that are going to last longer than 1 year with the DVR+??? This one lasted even less than the first one I used (Seagate 4TB Backup Plus). (I'm on 114R) Thanks.
I can only tell you that I've been using a Western Digital 3TB My Book USB 3.0, model WDBFJK0030HBK-NESN for 17 months, and have had no issues.

Are you aware that under 114R the DVR+ is likely only using 2TB of your 3TB drive (or the previous 4TB drive)? I say "likely" because CM claimed at that time that this was an issue only with some drives, even though a number of folks, including me, had this issue. However, the issue was quietly resolved in 124R after those disks were reformatted.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #11922 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You're far from a state line...
It's not about me, it's about someone who sent me a question via from my hack website. Where I am the state line is about 10 miles, and in the past both Dish and DirecTV insisted I'm not in the same DMA. What "link" were you referring to?
post #11923 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not about me, it's about someone who sent me a question via from my hack website. Where I am the state line is about 10 miles, and in the past both Dish and DirecTV insisted I'm not in the same DMA. What "link" were you referring to?
In my post:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_market
That has this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...vision_markets
post #11924 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
In my post ...
Thanks for that. It confirms Dish and DirecTV assertions. I am 11.5 miles from the transmitters, but in a different state, and my county is not listed in the same DMA as the transmitters... Feel free to PM me if you want further detail.

Last edited by tballister; 05-02-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
post #11925 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSounder View Post
Hi Folks.

I'm sure this topic has been gone over countless times before, but I'm having the darndest time finding a hard drive that will work (for a long period of time) with my DVR+.

l have purchased 2 or 3 hard drives since I purchased my DVR+ when they first came out a couple of years ago. Last August I thought I was going to fix the issue because I chose one of the Seagate hard drives on the "approved" list (STBV3000100).

However, it's been 10 months and now I'm thinking this drive is dying on me. I've noticed an excessive amount of garbaldygook on my screen when trying to record. I change the channel and everything works for a bit longer and then garbaldygook again. Yes, I've done all the normal disk things that we are supposed to do to keep the drive running smoothly. The last time I had this garbaldygook the hard drive was the culprit.

Did you activate the sleep mode feature on the drive?

I think Seagate drive comes with the sleep mode disabled by default. Those backup drive are not designed to spin 24/7. By activating the sleep mode feature, it will help your drives to last longer.
RTPVid likes this.
post #11926 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
They should be thankful this forum exists as it points out to them the failings of their $299 product that they promote to their current and future customers as being so wonderful and full of features. Meanwhile they ignore the issues with the features they promote that deem them unusable.
Yeah, they should be thankful that people nit pic their excellent DVR.
post #11927 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How can he ever get both subsets included by choosing a single zip code? Tivo has a "secondary" zip code that can be entered; does the DVR+ ? Seems to me even with the option to put in a secondary zip code there will remain a small percentage of cases where even that won't be sufficient.
When I scan for my TiVos, they find stations in all directions and at hundreds of miles away in all directions. I have to manually remove the incorrect channels. This is probably the best possible solution.
post #11928 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Given that the DVR+ is built on a Linux platform it is kind of strange that no one in the community has jailbroken it yet. Is it possible that the DVR+ customer base as a whole isn't nerdy enough? On the other hand, JHBrandt's suggestion regarding an API to allow optional functionality and features seems like it would go a long way to solving many of the problems, and E* could just sit back and watch while others cleaned up their mess.
Maybe it works well enough that people do not feel compelled to hack it. After sideloading Kodi on my Fire TV, I went back to factory because that worked better for me.

The Roku is also Linux based and no one has hacked it either.

Adding Plex or Kodi apps would open the device more than providing an API.
post #11929 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
When I scan for my TiVos, they find stations in all directions and at hundreds of miles away in all directions. I have to manually remove the incorrect channels. This is probably the best possible solution.
I think you misunderstood. The issue is getting Rovi Guide data for multiple zip codes, not acquiring the channels. But I like JHBrant's concept much better!

Quote:
...Adding Plex or Kodi apps would open the device more than providing an API.
I would like an API! I'd love to put DVR+ Lister out to pasture, and replace it with a utility like *kmttg* (which that other DVR enjoys because there is an API).
post #11930 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Yeah, they should be thankful that people nit pic their excellent DVR.
Different strokes for different folks.

There are a whole bucket load of issues with the DVR+.

If you think it is excellent then that you are their idea of a perfect customer.

Plunk down $299 or so and get a bug ridden product that has had many firmware updates and is still buggy. As an example,
you would think that by now they would have gotten closed captioning right. Something I use and is important to me.
post #11931 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the post that I made on the 26th about 3 methods of inserting images in an AVS Forum post, the attached image, and the insertion of that image somehow vanished within 8 hours. After testing method 2 in the “Post Testing Area” without loss, I’ve reattached and reinserted the image in the original post three days ago and it’s still there. Evidently the method does work.
post #11932 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Plunk down $299 or so and get a bug ridden product that has had many firmware updates and is still buggy.
I only paid $175 for mine and they were $150 last Black Friday. Compare to TiVo or the new Magnavox DVRs. The DVR+ is a bargain. I use the DVR+ as a program guide, to record programming, and for trick play. Over the course of two years, it has performed just as I expected.

Quote:
As an example,you would think that by now they would have gotten closed captioning right. Something I use and is important to me.
Don't use closed captioning.
post #11933 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I would like an API! I'd love to put DVR+ Lister out to pasture, and replace it with a utility like *kmttg* (which that other DVR enjoys because there is an API).
I like DVR+Lister, but rarely copy files off my DVR+ (it's too cheap/easy to plug in a new disk). Kodi or Plex would add a lot of very good streamed programming.
post #11934 of 16815 Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like DVR+Lister, but rarely copy files off my DVR+ (it's too cheap/easy to plug in a new disk). Kodi or Plex would add a lot of very good streamed programming.
I have nothing against Kodi, Plex, or anything else that benefits the DVR+ community, even if I never use them.

I too archive very few recordings, but when it comes to that, a program like kmttg would be much easier than managing disks on the DVR+. There's nothing wrong with having a library of disks dedicated to the DVR+, but it's not as simple as archiving to a large disk on a network (or a single computer system) because a program like kmttg fully automates the process. 10 minutes after a show airs, it's on a USB disk connected to my PC, and I don't have to do anything (after configuration of course). The recording is also in a format that can be played almost anywhere, and not limited to the DVR brand that made it. Unfortunately, the DVR+ doesn't currently support playing recordings from other sources, so I use Roku, even though trick play on a Roku is very poor.
Kelson likes this.
post #11935 of 16815 Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with having a library of disks dedicated to the DVR+, but it's not as simple as archiving to a large disk on a network (or a single computer system) because a program like kmttg fully automates the process.
The big thing that stops me from using a library of (relatively) small HDDs as kind of super-sized VHS cassettes is the expense. Even a 128GB HDD, tiny by today's standards, usually runs $35, so a library of, say, two dozen would run about $800 - way, way more than a single 3TB drive. And since we currently have no way to move recordings onto an existing DVR+-formatted HDD, maintaining a DVR+ HDD library of any size just isn't practical.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the DVR+ doesn't currently support playing recordings from other sources, so I use Roku, even though trick play on a Roku is very poor.
What's "trick play?" Is that like time-shifting?
post #11936 of 16815 Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
The big thing that stops me from using a library of (relatively) small HDDs as kind of super-sized VHS cassettes is the expense. Even a 128GB HDD, tiny by today's standards, usually runs $35, so a library of, say, two dozen would run about $800 - way, way more than a single 3TB drive. And since we currently have no way to move recordings onto an existing DVR+-formatted HDD, maintaining a DVR+ HDD library of any size just isn't practical.
What's "trick play?" Is that like time-shifting?
- with Ext2FS allowing to write, it would be good time to expand existing program, add copy/move recordings (include metadata) between DVR's HDDs
- here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_mode
post #11937 of 16815 Old 05-03-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for that. It confirms Dish and DirecTV assertions. I am 11.5 miles from the transmitters, but in a different state, and my county is not listed in the same DMA as the transmitters... Feel free to PM me if you want further detail.
Another good resource: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

Basing program guide on your DMA makes sense for satellite services, since Dish and DirecTV have to base their offerings on your DMA. But IMO, using your DMA doesn't make as much sense for OTA, especially when you have large markets close to each other, like Milwaukee and Chicago. If Rovi (or Gracenote, for that matter) is going to base their OTA guides on Zip codes, they should just identify all the stations whose coverage area overlaps each Zip (sort of like TVFool.com does), and only use DMAs for their satellite TV guides.

That said, a secondary Zip (as TiVo and DirecTV AM21 users have) would be simple for CM/E* to add, and would probably help a lot of folks work around Rovi's existing system.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-03-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: See below
post #11938 of 16815 Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That said, a secondary Zip (as TiVo and DirecTV AM21 users have) would be simple for CM/E* to add, and would probably help a lot of folks work around Rovi's existing system.
Please note that the DirectTV TiVo HR10-250 has a secondary zipcode for OTA locals. It requires DirectTV service to function.
post #11939 of 16815 Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh - so secondary Zip codes are probably specific to DirecTV then, and not available on a "plain-vanilla" TiVo. Post edited accordingly.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #11940 of 16815 Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
If Rovi (or Gracenote, for that matter) is going to base their OTA guides on Zip codes, they should just identify all the stations whose coverage area overlaps each Zip (sort of like TVFool.com does), and only use DMAs for their satellite TV guides.
But it's not foolproof! Your original idea is the best:
Quote:
I'd go one better: in most cases a station could be identified automatically based on its RF channel, display channel, and 7-character PSIP call sign. So Rovi should just identify whatever stations the DVR+ is receiving and provide the guide data for those stations "automagically" without even needing a Zip or Canadian postal code!
I.e., the final authority on what channels one receives is one's particular installation, as a function of geographic location, transmit power, transmit antenna height, receive antenna height, antenna choice, EMI, multipath, amplification, transmission cable loss, receiver sensitivity, and so on.

Intelligent EPG harvesting based on reality, as you suggest, is the only (technically) logical choice, and still has my vote.
JoeKustra likes this.

Last edited by tballister; 05-03-2016 at 09:56 AM. Reason: minor edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page