Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 402 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #12031 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post
I just cut the cord with (after 20 years with cable followed by 3 with dish and 13 with Directv) and ordered a DVR+, which arrived yesterday. When I hooked it to my Vizio 4K TV all I oould get to display was the splash screen. I went to the ChannelMaster support web page, which said I needed to get the latest software, which would be installed if I booted up the box with the software on a USB drive. When I did this, nothing happened. l then hooked it to a non-4K TV and everything worked fine and I was able to upgrade the software, which then worked as it should on my 4K set (I'm glad I had a second TV for this). So far, I am favorably impressed with this DVR.

Bob
Congrats on figuring out how to fix this issue! Support for 4K first appeared in version 132R (the previous version).

Your point about having a non-4K TV to perform the update is well taken. Does anyone know if the Update can be performed while connected to a 4K TV using Maintenance Reset and a USB thumb drive containing the Update (or maybe even without using a thumb drive if using Ethernet)? Perhaps little to nothing would appear on the TV, but eventually the DVR+ would boot with the update complete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I updated to 134R. The download via IP (not done with USB stick) took 20 minutes (I have 300 Mbps download speed, so it was not due to slow Internet speed). Update completed successfully.

Sad, however, that the volume level is still much lower than if I used my antenna directly into my TV tuner, or my antenna connected directly into a TiVo Bolt.

Besides the frustrating fact the DVR+ will not continue to cache/buffer live TV if you switch to another station and then want to switch back (the way the TiVo does), my biggest complaint is the lower volume levels. (I have tried both the "Stereo Only" and "Auto Stereo/Surround" settings. Makes no difference. I must turn up the volume on the TV by a lot when using the DVR+.)
post #12033 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
134R download took 16 minutes; install 1 min; reboot 1 min.
Failed with wifi (i have only been able to utilize wifi upgrade once--was early adopter of dvr+).
Connected my trusty 20 foot Ethernet cable temporarily for upgrade.
I have uverse dsl 18 mbps max plus at $47/month.

Ridiculous CM doesn't provide defect fix list when they know we are always so eager to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12034 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Midas89,

I can only report that I have 3 DVR+ boxes connected to a 2 different LED TVs (one a Sharp and the other a Samsung) and I have NO sound issues like you reported.
post #12035 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
134R download took 16 minutes; install 1 min; reboot 1 min.
Failed with wifi (i have only been able to utilize wifi upgrade once--was early adopter of dvr+).
Connected my trusty 20 foot Ethernet cable temporarily for upgrade.

Ridiculous CM doesn't provide defect fix list when they know we are always so eager to know.
My one DVR+ uses WiFi exclusively and I have had 2 firmware downloads and updates without issue. I am using a TPLINK TL-WNB22n version 3 adapter. Works like a charm.
post #12036 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2734 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas89 View Post
Besides the frustrating fact the DVR+ will not continue to cache/buffer live TV if you switch to another station and then want to switch back (the way the TiVo does)....
I'm afraid you won't find anything but TiVo that does that. They may well have convinced the USPTO that that's an "invention" worthy of patent protection.

I agree that it can be annoying, though. If you're time-shifting and accidentally change channels, poof! Your buffer is gone and you've irretrievably missed part of your show.

Maybe they can't buffer both tuners without getting sued by TiVo, but it would be nice if they at least warned you if you try to change channels while time-shifting.
midas89 likes this.
post #12037 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Midas89,

I can only report that I have 3 DVR+ boxes connected to a 2 different LED TVs (one a Sharp and the other a Samsung) and I have NO sound issues like you reported.
Thanks, LenL. So maybe my DVR+ was defective from way back when I first bought it. Damn!

It is out of warranty now, so I guess I just have turn up the volume like I have been doing.
post #12038 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm afraid you won't find anything but TiVo that does that. They may well have convinced the USPTO that that's an "invention" worthy of patent protection.

I agree that it can be annoying, though. If you're time-shifting and accidentally change channels, poof! Your buffer is gone and you've irretrievably missed part of your show.

Maybe they can't buffer both tuners without getting sued by TiVo, but it would be nice if they at least warned you if you try to change channels while time-shifting.
I used to own the great Moxi DVR. The Moxi buffers multiple stations, and you can switch between them without the buffer being cleared. So, perhaps TiVo does not own a patent for this feature. (I am not sure. Maybe Moxi licensed that feature from TiVo?)
post #12039 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, LenL. So maybe my DVR+ was defective from way back when I first bought it. Damn!

It is out of warranty now, so I guess I just have turn up the volume like I have been doing.
I can't think of a hardware defect that could possibly cause that. HDMI is all-digital; there's no way a bad HDMI circuit could cause low volume as could happen with analog.

Seems like it'd have to be something with the handshaking. Do you have another TV to try?
post #12040 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
I can't think of a hardware defect that could possibly cause that. HDMI is all-digital; there's no way a bad HDMI circuit could cause low volume as could happen with analog.

Seems like it'd have to be something with the handshaking. Do you have another TV to try?
Good suggestion. I'm thinking that perhaps the setting of stereo only is PCM. Sometimes this has a lower level than DD. But a TV doesn't usually have such indications as an AVR does. If the TV responds with the inability of surround, the DVR+ blocks DD and uses PCM. Just speculation.
post #12041 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, JHBrandt. Oh yes, from the start I tried a second TV, and a different HDMI cable, and an alternate HDMI port on the same TVs. No difference.

I reported the issue to Channel Master way back when. They told me they were aware of the issue back then and that a firmware upgrade should correct it. (Sadly for me, no firmware update has.)
post #12042 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
ROVI again?

As of 7AM on 5/22 there's no guide data...again. Upgrade to 134R still no data. Anyone interested in buying a buggy product from a company that provides virtually no support information, they're still selling it. I mention this to continue with a misery loves company philosophy!
post #12043 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammee2 View Post
As of 7AM on 5/22 there's no guide data...again. Upgrade to 134R still no data...
Mine too, at the same date and time. Hopefully it will only last a day or so like last week.
post #12044 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Good suggestion. I'm thinking that perhaps the setting of stereo only is PCM. Sometimes this has a lower level than DD. But a TV doesn't usually have such indications as an AVR does. If the TV responds with the inability of surround, the DVR+ blocks DD and uses PCM. Just speculation.
That's my guess too - but I do wonder: when the DVR+ is in Stereo Only/PCM mode, it's decoding (and possibly down-mixing DD 5.1) audio, so theoretically it could adjust the volume in the process.

Cheap DVRs like the iView do that; in PCM mode they have their own volume control; in RAW mode the volume is either off (muted) or on, and so has to be adjusted on the TV.

So that would be a nice DVR+ firmware enhancement: a "master volume" control that would appear on the audio settings page if you set Stereo Only/PCM mode. Anyone having volume issues like midas89 (and not needing DD5.1 audio) could use that to equalize the volume between their DVR+ and other devices.

Volume issues aren't unique to the DVR+; I've suffered them switching between my various video devices for years, and often wished they had "master volume" controls so I could equalize everything.
post #12045 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and suggestions, JHBrandt. Oh yes, from the start I tried a second TV, and a different HDMI cable, and an alternate HDMI port on the same TVs. No difference.

I reported the issue to Channel Master way back when. They told me they were aware of the issue back then and that a firmware upgrade should correct it. (Sadly for me, no firmware update has.)
Just for kicks, you might also try changing the "midnight mode" setting. It doesn't make a noticeable difference on my TV, but it's still worth a shot.

"Midnight mode" is supposed to compress the dynamic range of the audio, so loud passages aren't so loud they wake up folks in the next room - or your neighbor's home!
post #12046 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammee2 View Post
As of 7AM on 5/22 there's no guide data...again. Upgrade to 134R still no data.
Why would you expect a firmware upgrade to change what's stored on the servers the DVR+ downloads from?
post #12047 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would you expect a firmware upgrade to change what's stored on the servers the DVR+ downloads from?
I didn't expect...rather I wanted to inform the upgrade had no effect.
post #12048 of 16648 Old 05-11-2016, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post

Wow I have Time Warner Cable 100/10 mbps for $36.01 tax included. at&t is such a ripoff

Z
post #12049 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried using the digital audio out on the DVR+ in addition to the HDMI? Only possible if your TV supports it but worth a try?
post #12050 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Update seems to have fixed the Sling dropout issue as it was intended for. I haven't had a single dropout since the upgrade. If my wife starts watching a HGTV marathon it will be the true test. For some reason HGTV seemed to have more drop outs than other channels for some reason.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #12051 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Midas89,

Same here. In fact, the audio from my DVR+ units is louder than my disc player or Roku feeds.

Also, I solved my multi-path problem by replacing my Winegard bat-wing antenna with a CM2016 Yagi-style unit. Now the image from the DVR+ is just as solid as using the TV tuner. The DVR+ really seems to prefer a highly directional antenna over the multi- or omni- styles, at least in my experience.

We watched FX and AMC via Sling TV for a couple of hours after the 134R update and never dropped to OTA.
JHBrandt likes this.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #12052 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmantas View Post
Update seems to have fixed the Sling dropout issue as it was intended for. I haven't had a single dropout since the upgrade. If my wife starts watching a HGTV marathon it will be the true test. For some reason HGTV seemed to have more drop outs than other channels for some reason.
I installed 134R last night. Unfortunately it did not fix the issues I've been having with CMTV. In fact there may be new bugs!

Vibrant TV still locks up as before, but with 132R I could always bring up the guide and change channels. When I tried with 134R, the DVR+ got locked up with the guide display! I could change channels with channel up/down, but couldn't navigate the guide at all and couldn't make it go away either. Even turning the DVR+ off and back on didn't help - I got no video and the frozen guide display was still there! Finally had to warm-boot to recover.

Still got the bogus "There is a problem with your network connection" while watching RT, so that wasn't fixed either. (I was hoping it was "secretly" the same bug Sling had, but I guess it's a different bug after all.)

Also, a couple of times, when I pressed one of the color-coded guide shortcut keys, it acted like I'd pressed the guide key instead, and went to my current channel instead of the location the shortcut key normally goes to. This wasn't consistent, though; if I dismissed the guide and tried the same key again, it worked correctly.
post #12053 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And to think they forced this firmware update on us unless we took steps to block feeds from them!

How in good conscious can a company force updates that prove to be buggy time and again? Sometimes making the device perform worse!

Just my humble opinion!
midas89 likes this.
post #12054 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Exclamation The "Wish List" keeps growing...

Quote:
Besides the frustrating fact the DVR+ will not continue to cache/buffer live TV if you switch to another station and then want to switch back (the way the TiVo does)...
I've only used one (cable company-provided) DVR before using the DVR+, but it thought that was just the way it was - once you changed a channel, the buffer was cleared. But you're right, if 2 tuners are available, why not buffer the current channel and the previous one?

Another DVR+ "feature omission", similar to the above but even more annoying to me, is that if I am watching a broadcast, then play a recorded show and then press stop, I am returned to the broadcast show, but the buffer is gone!

And, just my luck - as soon as I am returned to the broadcast (say, a talk show, for example), the audience is always roaring with laughter and host is saying something like "wow, that was a really funny story!", and there I am with no way of rewinding to see what I just missed! Gee, thanks!

How many times has that happened to you?
midas89 likes this.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #12055 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 01:25 PM

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts to all who posted. This forum has always been so helpful, and with a great group of people.

And LensClock, I agree with you 100%. (If Moxi DVR and TiVo DVR are able to allow the continuation of caching/buffering as you switch back and forth between the tuners, DVR+ should. (Unless TiVo has a patent on that feature, where Moxi company paid a license fee to use it, and DVR+ does not wanna pay.)
post #12056 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
My Rovi guide was ending May 22. I did a manual refresh and now everything is OK. The guide is ending May 26. I hope this guide updating issue will not become the norm!
post #12057 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
Another DVR+ "feature omission", similar to the above but even more annoying to me, is that if I am watching a broadcast, then play a recorded show and then press stop, I am returned to the broadcast show, but the buffer is gone!
Given the number of DVRs that lack the "buffer two tuners" feature, I suspect it's patented; but you should still be able to run a single buffer while watching a recording! So I think CM/E* could give us that feature without running into trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
My Rovi guide was ending May 22. I did a manual refresh and now everything is OK. The guide is ending May 26. I hope this guide updating issue will not become the norm!
As long as they don't start letting it get under a week, I'm OK with it. As a WMC user I've learned to live with worse.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-14-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #12058 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
..if 2 tuners are available, why not buffer the current channel and the previous one?

...watching a broadcast, then play a recorded show and then press stop, I am returned to the broadcast show, but the buffer is gone!
those are two features i would very much appreciate having, and i'll add a third. when one is done fast forwarding, start the playback 3 seconds before the point i stopped it - if i stop when i see my program has started, it's usually already too late.

just minor suggestions, the type that would take the box from good to great.
post #12059 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just got done catching up on 4 weeks of posts here and wanted to chime in on the volume level thing. Mine when at 132r did indeed lower volume level below the previous update. As a matter of fact, yesterday I needed to record a bit of audio from the TV speaker. I had to turn it up to 100% to get that recording on a cheapo recorder and it didn't seem loud at all. Normally at night I have the volume set to 10%, now its at 13% and could go up to compare to the previous updates level. Just my 2 bits.........or I'm going deaf.
post #12060 of 16648 Old 05-12-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting. Which firmware version were you on when the volume was higher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page