Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 404 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4181Likes

post #12091 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 256
One of the things I like about the DVR+ is that storage is external. I rely on inexpensive 1/2t unpowered USB drives and use them like giant VHS tapes (dating myself). I just grabbed another one this morning as staples has the ​1TB WD Elements USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive for $39.99. This new disk is going to be for the dramas on Heroes and Icons: Black Sheep Squadron, Hill Street Blues, Hunter, NYPD Blue, The Comish, and Wild Wild West.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
And since that would be different from the FF feature TiVo has patented, CM/E* could get away with it!
As long as someone else hasn't patented it. That's how my old Philips DVDR works. I don't know if it is a feature, or a limitation on how it works, and you can't fast forward at multi speeds. But when you jump forward you can set the increments, and when you get to the end of a recording (either in progress or completed) there is a pause as it figures out where to drop you, and that final jump puts you about 6 seconds behind the leading edge of the recording. The nice thing is you can't overshoot your recording and get dumped back to a menu.
post #12093 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Unfortunately, the 134R progress bar continues to prevent closed captions from appearing. I don’t recall if it was 10 seconds in 132R, but the 134R the progress bar lasts 5 seconds when the play button is pressed.
The reason why I say that the Progress Bar last 10 seconds is because I have my jump back set for 10 seconds, and anytime I do a jump back the Progress Bar stay on for the playback of that entire 10 seconds. Just saying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12094 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
As long as someone else hasn't patented it. That's how my old Philips DVDR works. I don't know if it is a feature, or a limitation on how it works, and you can't fast forward at multi speeds. But when you jump forward you can set the increments, and when you get to the end of a recording (either in progress or completed) there is a pause as it figures out where to drop you, and that final jump puts you about 6 seconds behind the leading edge of the recording. The nice thing is you can't overshoot your recording and get dumped back to a menu.
It's possible Philips has patented that feature, but at least if you FF to the very end of a recording, the DVR+ should just pause at the end, rather than dumping you out to a menu, which isn't what anyone ever wants to happen. (If they wanted to stop watching and go back to the menu, they would have pressed Stop in the first place!)

Once paused at the end, you could just rewind or skip back manually to watch the ending of your recording.

Another idea: they could just reassign one of the color buttons to be a "GoTo" button when watching a recording. Then you could just push that button and type in, say, 0:59:00 to go to one minute before the end of a one-hour recording.

Point is, plenty of ways to deal with this, and they can't all be patented!
post #12095 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
One of the things I like about the DVR+ is that storage is external. I rely on inexpensive 1/2t unpowered USB drives and use them like giant VHS tapes (dating myself). I just grabbed another one this morning as staples has the ​1TB WD Elements USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive for $39.99. This new disk is going to be for the dramas on Heroes and Icons: Black Sheep Squadron, Hill Street Blues, Hunter, NYPD Blue, The Comish, and Wild Wild West.
One thing I'm going to try soon is a class 10 SD card with a USB adapter. Ordinary flash drives aren't suitable for HD recording, but class 4 or better SD cards should be. I'll let you all know.

If it works, it could be a cheaper option. At $40-$50 each, typical HDDs can get pretty expensive, but a 128GB class 10 SD card can be had for under $20. True, that's a higher cost/GB, but the idea is to make the individual "tapes" as cheap as possible.

Either way, it sure would be nice if we had a utility of some sort to copy recordings between DVR+-formatted drives but it may turn out that E* made this hard to do with checksums or the like.
Greasemonkey and pachinko like this.
post #12096 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If it works, it could be a cheaper option. At $40-$50 each, typical HDDs can get pretty expensive, but a 128GB class 10 SD card can be had for under $20. True, that's a higher cost/GB, but the idea is to make the individual "tapes" as cheap as possible.
You may find that what you lose in initial cost outlay, you gain in the value of portability. An Altoids box would hold enough SD cards to last an entire summer vacation, provided you had a laptop and software that could play the recordings. And if you had an SD capable player that could be plugged into a vehicle video system, that's enough programming to keep the kids in the backseat occupied indefinitely.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #12097 of 16647 Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Another idea: they could just reassign one of the color buttons to be a "GoTo" button when watching a recording. Then you could just push that button and type in, say, 0:59:00 to go to one minute before the end of a one-hour recording.

Point is, plenty of ways to deal with this, and they can't all be patented!
I think that's the best solution. It gives the user total control over where to plant the start point. And I doubt you could patent a generic GoTo feature; maybe the look and feel of it, but patenting something that basic would be like getting a patent for a helical plane wrapped around an axis. At one point you might have been able to get that patent for a bottle cap, but not the general function.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #12098 of 16647 Old 05-16-2016, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One thing I'm going to try soon is a class 10 SD card with a USB adapter. Ordinary flash drives aren't suitable for HD recording, but class 4 or better SD cards should be. I'll let you all know.
Quote:
Per CM specs for the 1t DVR+, you can record 160 hours of HD in 1t. A 128g card would hold around 20 hours. Filtering on brand names and sorting by cost, it looks like a 128g SD card will set you back about $40 (same as the disk I purchased), so the same storage would cost ~$320.

Definitely a worthwhile experiment, but not particularly economical.

Good luck!
post #12099 of 16647 Old 05-16-2016, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You may find that what you lose in initial cost outlay, you gain in the value of portability. An Altoids box would hold enough SD cards to last an entire summer vacation, provided you had a laptop and software that could play the recordings. And if you had an SD capable player that could be plugged into a vehicle video system, that's enough programming to keep the kids in the backseat occupied indefinitely.
Even if it doesn't work out, I could still transfer recordings to the SD card with DVR+ Lister. Couldn't play them on the DVR+ itself, but they should work fine for pretty much any player with a USB connection. I have an iView 3200 with composite outputs that runs on an external 5V power supply; it could easily be rigged up to feed a small LCD TV or monitor and would me much more rugged than a portable DVD player.

The tricky part would be making legible labels for tiny SD (especially micro SD) cards!
Quote:
Per CM specs for the 1t DVR+, you can record 160 hours of HD in 1t. A 128g card would hold around 20 hours. Filtering on brand names and sorting by cost, it looks like a 128g SD card will set you back about $40 (same as the disk I purchased), so the same storage would cost ~$320.

Definitely a worthwhile experiment, but not particularly economical.
I found this at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SANTIN-128GB-C.../dp/B01DRO3VIS. It's actually a micro SD but there's an adapter for a full-size SD card reader. Not a bad price if it works, but the cost/GB is still higher my way. I'm willing to trade that off for lower-cost individual units of storage though.

Ideally, I'd like to have each show on a separate set of cards, with one or more season per card. For HD shows, I might have to go with 200GB cards to get a full season on one card (depending on how much the local station compresses the video). Luckily, the shows I want to archive are mostly older SD shows, so I should get at least 64 hours per card, which works out to 2-3 seasons of a one-hour show, or 4-6 seasons of a 30-minute show!

BTW, this brings up more DVR+ enhancements I'd like to see. As I've mentioned before, I'd like the ability to transfer recordings between internal and external drives. But while they're at it, if we're not using the WiFi adapter, let us hook up two external drives at once, transfer recordings between all connected drives, whether internal or external, and let us choose whether to record to the internal or an external drive when we set up a recording!

That would make the 1TB model a lot nicer, and also make it easier to organize recordings onto multiple drives. As it stands, if you want to do that now you have to be vigilant about swapping drives at the right times, and if you have simultaneous or back-to-back recordings, they all have to go on the same drive. The ability to easily swap storage devices is a big advantage of the DVR+ over some other DVRs, such as the DTVPal or TiVo; they should maximize that advantage!
post #12100 of 16647 Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is weird: A few minutes ago I got an email from Channel Master telling me Newsy is now on channel 203. Newsy's been there for weeks!

Edit: OK, I see what's going on now. It was a "multipart alternative" email, but the text and HTML versions of the email don't match! The text version is the Newsy announcement, which I think came from several weeks ago. The HTML version is offering a low-pass filter for your OTA antenna. It blocks frequencies over 700 MHz (the former channels 52-69 which aren't used for TV anymore, but are now used for other purposes).

I have a similar filter already. Clearing out those high frequencies helps keep my distribution amp from overloading, and it lets me inject my satellite receiver into the coax as analog channel 64, so I can watch it throughout the house.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-16-2016 at 04:58 PM.
post #12101 of 16647 Old 05-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I found this at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SANTIN-128GB-C.../dp/B01DRO3VIS. It's actually a micro SD but there's an adapter for a full-size SD card reader. Not a bad price if it works, but the cost/GB is still higher my way. I'm willing to trade that off for lower-cost individual units of storage though.
Read the reviews on that card.
pachinko likes this.
post #12102 of 16647 Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul210 View Post
I've verified on three different DVR+ units that there is a problem with closed captions on playback of a recorded program with the latest software version. I rolled my units back to the previous version and the problem with the captions is gone. Channel Master verified that this is a problem and said their engineers are aware of it. Maybe it'll get fixed on the next software release, whenever that may be. By the way, a cold boot fixes the problem temporarily but it always returns the next day.

Did 134R fix it?
I don't know. I've got updates blocked at my router. I'm not doing them anymore until I read all the ramifications.

Panny Plasma Relic: TC-P50VT20, TC-P50G15, TH-42PX60U
post #12103 of 16647 Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
This is weird: A few minutes ago I got an email from Channel Master telling me Newsy is now on channel 203. Newsy's been there for weeks!

Edit: OK, I see what's going on now. It was a "multipart alternative" email, but the text and HTML versions of the email don't match! The text version is the Newsy announcement, which I think came from several weeks ago. The HTML version is offering a low-pass filter for your OTA antenna. It blocks frequencies over 700 MHz (the former channels 52-69 which aren't used for TV anymore, but are now used for other purposes).

I have a similar filter already. Clearing out those high frequencies helps keep my distribution amp from overloading, and it lets me inject my satellite receiver into the coax as analog channel 64, so I can watch it throughout the house.
I looked at the filter (in fact, the page is still open on another tab). I'm not sure it would help me with my signal issues with the DVR+.

My weak channels are actually the high VHF channels 7 (ABC) and 9 (IND) in Los Angeles which are 174 - 192 MHz range. I have a Weingard indoor LNA-100 amplifier right before the DVR+ and three antennas - a UHF ClearStream 4 with their VHF add-on antenna and their purpose built combiner pointing toward LA, and then a purpose built antenna pointing the opposite direction for an ABC station broadcasting on real channel 27 tuned to bring in signals in the 548 - 554 MHz range. I get a strong signal on that station but it's weird; the Rovi guide data comes through on the sub channel for that station but not the ABC feed for some reason. I only get PSIP on the main channel. So I'd like to get more reliable signals through the DVR+ for that LA ABC station with the Rovi guide data. TV Fool report is at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51343dc13705e8

I do feel like I get slightly better reception and less drop out on 7 and 9 going directly into the TV, a Samsung. I don't think a filter at the 700MHz range will improve things for me by itself but perhaps the adjustable gain would allow me to bump up or down the gain to see if that helps (the LNA-100 is fixed at 20db). Would it make sense to try it?
post #12104 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey, I have not kept up on the Hard Drive limitations. Will I have any issues using a 3TB (Western Digital) USB Hard Drive on the DVR+ with the latest FW?

Also, is it possible to transfers recordings from one Hard Drive to Another?
post #12105 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:

I was going to ask if LTE interference was really an issue. I'd buy an adapter for $5 but I figured most of my problems were multipath.
post #12106 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
Hey, I have not kept up on the Hard Drive limitations. Will I have any issues using a 3TB (Western Digital) USB Hard Drive on the DVR+ with the latest FW?

should be OK, try and tell us here - mfgs changing models too often to follow each one

not yet, but pachinko did show interest to add such feature in his SW
jericko76 likes this.
post #12107 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I seem to be in between two problems and can't get a fix for both. I have an outdoor antenna and am able to pick up several local channels, but have a problem with a few. My problem is that when I add a booster to the line I get 100% strength, but the quality goes from 100 to 0 and then back again with picture good to bad. I can take the booster out, but then I get a week signal. The booster is a powered booster I got from radio shack nothing special. Can anyone direct me in the direction to go to get both a strong signal without the loss of quality? When I hook this setup directly to the tv I have no problem. It's just when I use the dvr+ that I have a problem. There may be an answer somewhere in these post, but I can't find with a search and too many to go through one by one. Thanks for any help.
post #12108 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation wrong thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc1620 View Post
I seem to be in between two problems and can't get a fix for both. I have an outdoor antenna and am able to pick up several local channels, but have a problem with a few. My problem is that when I add a booster to the line I get 100% strength, but the quality goes from 100 to 0 and then back again with picture good to bad. I can take the booster out, but then I get a week signal. The booster is a powered booster I got from radio shack nothing special. Can anyone direct me in the direction to go to get both a strong signal without the loss of quality? When I hook this setup directly to the tv I have no problem. It's just when I use the dvr+ that I have a problem. There may be an answer somewhere in these post, but I can't find with a search and too many to go through one by one. Thanks for any help.
well, 1st - you'll need move your post to more appropriate forum, AVSforum has dedicated regional forums, ask there; 2nd - post there your location, better get from tvfool site a diagram and a table by your precise location, 3rd - there it would best place to get best answers !
post #12109 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc1620 View Post
How far away are your broadcast towers? What model antenna are you using? .

I had multi-path problems with my Winegard bat-wing antenna, causing the quality to jump up and down as you describe. Replacing it with a standard Channel Master Yagi-style antenna solved the problem. I am only 17 miles from the towers, so I did not need an amplifier.
JHBrandt likes this.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #12110 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Could we please stop dragging the thread to wrong direction ?
post #12111 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Read the reviews on that card.
There are 121 reviews: 88% positive (4 or 5 stars) and 12% negative. However the negative reviews say both the card and the positive reviews are fake.

I've downloaded the h2testw utility to test it with when I get it. Amazon has a good return policy, so if it's a fake card I'll return it.
post #12112 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
How to copy all DVR+ files to another USB HDD

Quote:

It might depend upon the exact model of the USB HDD as to if it works or not, but I’m using a Western Digital 3TB My Book, model WDBFJK0030HBK-04 without issues in version 134R. Prior to version 124R, the DVR+ would only use 2TB on that HDD, but in 124R that limitation magically went away after re-initialization. Version 124R must be used to format disks larger than 2TB to their full capacity, but with disk manufacturers moving from 4096 byte sector sizes to 512 byte sector sizes, disks larger than 2TB fail to format properly in 124R, and require 123R or 124R to achieve 2TB (with remaining space not usable).

It is currently not possible to merge recordings from one HDD with another. DVR+ Lister Beta 16.9.1 provides the ability to merge recordings from one HDD to another HDD (always check for a later version on the post 1). Aside from that, you can manually copy ALL recordings from one HDD to another HDD, provided there is nothing on the other HDD that you want to retain. Here’s how using a Windows computer (others similar):

1. Backup any files that come on the new destination USB HDD before connecting it to the DVR+.
2. Connect the new destination USB HDD to the DVR+ and allow it to initialize it (format it). DO NOT record anything that you want to keep, as the following process will delete everything.
3. Disconnect the new destination USB HDD from the DVR+ and attach it to a computer.
4. Windows computers require Ext2Fsd version 0.62 or later (I highly recommend version 0.64 even though versions up to 0.68 were released) to be installed on the computer, in order to assign drive letters to both partitions on DVR+ formatted USB HDDs. Version 0.62, or later, is required to be able to delete files on the USB HDD (again, I recommend version 0.64).
5. Using Windows Explorer (or any file manager), delete all files and folders on the new destination USB HDD in both partitions (both drive letters).
6. Connect the old source USB HDD to the computer, and get drive letters assigned to both of its partitions.
7. Copy everything from the old source HDD to the new destination HDD, on a partition by partition basis. The 1st partition (which is the small partition) contains the various data files. The 2nd partition contains the TS recordings. Each partition has one empty "lost+found" folder.
8. Connect the new destination USB HDD to the DVR+ and give it a test by listing the recordings, and playing a few.
jericko76 likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-08-2017 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Updated for new DVR+ Lister technology & HDD changes
post #12113 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff275 View Post
I was going to ask if LTE interference was really an issue. I'd buy an adapter for $5 but I figured most of my problems were multipath.
It's $5 off, not $5! With the discount it's actually $20.

And you're right, LTE interference probably isn't an issue for most folks. The filter might help if you have weak stations that need a preamp, but you have overload issues (stations get worse) if you use one. Or if you're trying to add your own analog channels for in-home video distribution (like I am), a filter like this might clean up "snow" from the channels you're adding.
post #12114 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
well, 1st - you'll need move your post to more appropriate forum, AVSforum has dedicated regional forums, ask there; 2nd - post there your location, better get from tvfool site a diagram and a table by your precise location, 3rd - there it would best place to get best answers !
Sorry for posting in the wrong place, but I thought since my problem is with a Channel Master DVR+ this was the correct place. I will look elsewhere.
post #12115 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Could we please stop dragging the thread to wrong direction ?
He's really not dragging the thread in the wrong direction at all. "When I hook this setup directly to the tv I have no problem. It's just when I use the dvr+ that I have a problem" could be the title of a book, and is no less common than the red light bug.
post #12116 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
He's really not dragging the thread in the wrong direction at all. "When I hook this setup directly to the tv I have no problem. It's just when I use the dvr+ that I have a problem" could be the title of a book, and is no less common than the red light bug.
That would be a good book. But the DVR+ would only be one chapter. CM has no monopoly on this issue. The whole industry fails to provide tools to figure out how to fix the problem.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #12117 of 16647 Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Did anyone notice CM is now selling the DVR+ 16 Gig model for $199 on their site. No announced on FB or via email that it is a sale. Wonder if they are trying to get rid of a lot of stock really quickly? Maybe trying to compete with the new Tivo OTA deal or possibly worried about losing their guide in the future.
pachinko likes this.
post #12118 of 16647 Old 05-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

It's kind of funny hearing people over here worrying about CM losing their guide and people on the TiVo board speculating that TiVo paid $1B for their company to shut it down. It's like gravity and profit motive have left the planet.

The $199 price is not that uncommon and not the best price we've seen. I paid $175ea for mine with free shipping a couple Black Fridays ago. Last year, they were 2/$300. The $199 price is a reflection of market circumstances -- CM wants to sell DVRs now not in November and does not want to lose sales to TiVo along the way. $199 plus $50 for a disk compares favorably to the 'All In' 1t TiVo OTA at $399.99.
post #12119 of 16647 Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the applicability of the DVR+ tuner issue in this case. In my defense, a simple question was asked, and a simple, appropriate answer was provided. It could have ended there without the animosity that appears because someone didn't like the problem being addressed in this particular forum.

I am not a fan of cross-posting or useless thread tangents, but sometimes a straight line is indeed the shortest distance between two points. I see no need for the Thread Police to get their knickers in a twist because somebody asked for a little help. We do have a thread moderator to keep things on track, and I trust that person's judgement.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #12120 of 16647 Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Did anyone notice CM is now selling the DVR+ 16 Gig model for $199 on their site. No announced on FB or via email that it is a sale. Wonder if they are trying to get rid of a lot of stock really quickly? Maybe trying to compete with the new Tivo OTA deal or possibly worried about losing their guide in the future.
Quote:
... The $199 price is a reflection of market circumstances -- CM wants to sell DVRs now not in November and does not want to lose sales to TiVo along the way. $199 plus $50 for a disk compares favorably to the 'All In' 1t TiVo OTA at $399.99.
Nope, it was just a mistake! The price is back to $249, and the following is from the CM face book page:
Quote:
Channel Master: It appears that a technical glitch caused some users to see a $199 price for the 16GB DVR+ over the last day or two. This was a system price that had been set for a previous promotion. We apologize for the confusion, and for anyone who picked up a 16GB DVR+ at that price - it will be honored.
jericko76 and midas89 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page