Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 409 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #12241 of 16599 Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
I bought a 'WD Passport for MAC' to use as a Time Machine backup device - worked fine out of the box - no prep work. I would now like to use it for one of my DVR+'s as its 1 tb HD. I assume the For MAC meant it was formatted for MAC.
Do I need to do anything to it? Will the DVR+ just format it the way it wants or must I do something to it first.
I do not want to mess it up.
Bernieoc
no worry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 16599 Old 06-06-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieoc View Post
I bought a 'WD Passport for MAC' to use as a Time Machine backup device - worked fine out of the box - no prep work. I would now like to use it for one of my DVR+'s as its 1 tb HD. I assume the For MAC meant it was formatted for MAC.
Do I need to do anything to it? Will the DVR+ just format it the way it wants or must I do something to it first.
I do not want to mess it up.
Bernieoc
I have no experience with any disks for Mac, but if you go to the WD web page for that disk drive, on the Specifications tab it clearly states that it’s compatible with Windows (requires reformatting). However, it also says “Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system”.

I would think that since it does work for Windows, then it should also be compatible with the DVR+. I suspect the DVR+ will see that it’s not formatted to its liking, and will either reject the disk, or more likely ask your permission to initialize it (format it for Linux). If it rejects the disk, I would format it NTFS in Windows, or EXT in Linux, then try it on the DVR+ again. Regardless of how you format the disk, the DVR+ will always want to reformat it to it's liking with 2 partitions.

If you value any files that came on the disk, you'll need to copy them before any formatting.

Please return and let us know what happens.
post #12243 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
PSIP is the only way I get my EPG, and it has been both inconsistent and hit and miss. But I've found that by creating manual recordings for each channel for which you want PSIP data, you can keep it up to date and not miss anything. For me there are 11 channels I want to keep updated. So I created manual "dummy" recordings for each of those channels. They are set to the minimum recording length of 5 minutes. They run morning and evening, 7 days a week for a total of 22 programs. I set them to begin at 6:05AM and 6:05PM, so any programs or series scheduled from the guide that begins at either 6:00AM or 6:00PM will record (and also preempt any of the dummy programs that can't snag a tuner). I named every dummy program "ZZZ", so they all get dumped into the same folder. I've come back into town and found 100+ dummy recordings in the folder. But it's easy to delete the entire folder, or you can scan through the listings to see if they were all completed or if some failed. It is virtually 100% successful, though sometimes a weak channel might not record its dummy program if the reception or signal quality is bad due to weather, multipath or other phenomenon. It's a Band-aid solution, but I'm out of town a lot and don't like to miss programs I want to see. CM/E* should be able to come up with a better, internal solution such as "search scanning" based on the names of guide scheduled programs or letting users schedule channel scans like program recordings. I'd schedule scans like that to run every 8 hours. Note that there is a limit to how many created/scheduled programs you can have, so any dummy recordings count toward that limit.
Let me see if I understand this correctly. The sole purpose of the 5 minute programs is to cause the PSIP information for that channel to be refreshed. Putting then in a commonly named folder (to collect and delete) is brilliant!

So, let's say I want to record the CBS Evening News at 6:30 pm. At 5 pm, I bring up the guide and move to the CBS Evening News in the channel which broadcasts it and then press OK - from the dialog which pops up I select "Record this program" and then from the subsequent dialog "Record all programs with this name". At this point if I "View this series", I naturally see just one, as all I have is PSIP for about 12 hours. So, if at 3 pm I set a 5 daily repeat manual recording (like you've described) to run on the CBS channel, on subsequent days it'll tune to CBS, get the PSIP information and then the CBS Evening News will be automatically recorded provided there's a program of that name. Is my understanding correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12244 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
mine will be here today woohooo
post #12245 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly. The sole purpose of the 5 minute programs is to cause the PSIP information for that channel to be refreshed. Putting then in a commonly named folder (to collect and delete) is brilliant!

So, let's say I want to record the CBS Evening News at 6:30 pm. At 5 pm, I bring up the guide and move to the CBS Evening News in the channel which broadcasts it and then press OK - from the dialog which pops up I select "Record this program" and then from the subsequent dialog "Record all programs with this name". At this point if I "View this series", I naturally see just one, as all I have is PSIP for about 12 hours. So, if at 3 pm I set a 5 daily repeat manual recording (like you've described) to run on the CBS channel, on subsequent days it'll tune to CBS, get the PSIP information and then the CBS Evening News will be automatically recorded provided there's a program of that name. Is my understanding correct?
Yes. I've found that for PSIP data to propagate well if a) the DVR+ isn't turned on regularly, and b) the DVR+ isn't tuned to the specific channel. I don't know why, but I've had better luck by setting up the dummy programs to record beginning the next day, instead of within a few minutes or hours from the time I created them. I didn't get a full, two week schedule if I didn't. I've also noticed, especially on the CBS and PBS channels that while I may get a few days of scheduled programs, the programs scheduled to record don't show any synopsis information until after the dummy recording for the day it is scheduled to record. On the up side, I do seem to notice that PSIP data will propagate for channels that don't have a dummy program, so to some extent just having the DVR+ on and running through the channels has some effect, but there is no reason why CM can't fix this so it works on its own.
Russell_ likes this.
post #12246 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yet another feature to add to our "wish list"

Congrats on coming up with a clever solution.
I'm curious why you resort to this, though - is your internet access intermittent, or do you find PSIP that much superior to Rovi, or ... ?
(Sorry if you've already mentioned why- I didn't catch it the first time.)

You are right - CM/E* should offer a better, internal solution such as "search scanning".
Their priority might be on the Rovi guide rather than the PSIP, since they assume most customers have their DVRs connected to the internet.

But the DVR+ seems to use info from both Rovi and PSIP in their program descriptions.
I've noticed one description of a program when I press "info" while viewing the list of my recorded programs, but once I start playing a show, if I hit the "info" button, a slightly different description appears!
It usually pertains to the same show, just more detail, so it's not really an error, but it's obvious it is pulling "info" from different sources when viewing the Guide vs the list of recorded programs vs the actual program.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #12247 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 PM

psps how many hours of hd video will I get ona 2 terabyte drive?
post #12248 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratman33 View Post
The average NBC or CBS hour of HD need almost 8GB. Do the math. Fox uses less. ABC uses more less. (is that really a good way to post?)
post #12249 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

According to Channel Master's website

"DVR+(CM-7500) with a 1TB external hard drive will record up to 180 hours of High Definition programming. "

So if you double that, 360 Hours.
post #12250 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
The average NBC or CBS hour of HD need almost 8GB. Do the math. Fox uses less. ABC uses more less. (is that really a good way to post?)
wow video is huge guess its mpeg2
post #12251 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
According to Channel Master's website

"DVR+(CM-7500) with a 1TB external hard drive will record up to 180 hours of High Definition programming. "

So if you double that, 360 Hours.
cool that's a bit better
post #12252 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
Congrats on coming up with a clever solution.
I'm curious why you resort to this, though - is your internet access intermittent, or do you find PSIP that much superior to Rovi, or ... ?
(Sorry if you've already mentioned why- I didn't catch it the first time.)
I travel a lot, so I get my Internet via a wireless hot spot because I'm too cheap to pay for dedicated Internet that I might not use. Consequently, I have to budget my Internet usage. Plus, I don't want to have to connect a wireless device to my DVR+ or run a cable and connect it to the hop spot every day. If I settle down and got high speed Internet I'd plug the DVR+ in and get the guide that way, but in general I have no complaint with the quality of PSIP data for what I watch. I also use my browser to access the Zap2it guide so I can check future listings. I was able to save the link as a toolbar bookmark in Firefox, so I don't have to go through the whole routine of inputting my Zip Code and choosing the broadcast listings every time I want to check it (I'm a cookie deleting fool, including Flash cookies, so settings like that never get saved). Just click it and get the listings starting with the current time. An interesting fact about the Zap2it guide is that if you load/reload it, and before you select any time slot or date you can click the day/date drop down and get an extra day of programming to view. One you select a day/date or time that bonus day disappears until you reload the page.

Quote:
You are right - CM/E* should offer a better, internal solution such as "search scanning".
Their priority might be on the Rovi guide rather than the PSIP, since they assume most customers have their DVRs connected to the internet.
I think you're right about the Rovi guide being their priority. But the TiRovi guide in the future might give me the last laugh! If enough people cut the cord PSIP could still be the future of EPG's.
post #12253 of 16599 Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2698 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
wow video is huge guess its mpeg2
Yes it is. DTV stations broadcast MPEG-2/TS and the DVR+ just records whatever is broadcast with no transcoding.

For archiving video, I'd recommend using a good transcoder like Handbrake along with DVR+ Lister. You'll get 3 or 4 times as much video on an HDD that way; unfortunately the DVR+ won't be able to play the transcoded videos (you'll have to use a PC or some sort of media player).
post #12254 of 16599 Old 06-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 254
The DVR+ REALLY needs a Plex app.
post #12255 of 16599 Old 06-08-2016, 02:43 PM

I wish it had netflix
post #12256 of 16599 Old 06-08-2016, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The DVR+ REALLY needs a Plex app.
Quote:
I wish it had netflix
i would rarely use any other input on my tv if these two features were added.
post #12257 of 16599 Old 06-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by OncleJulien View Post
i would rarely use any other input on my tv if these two features were added.
Yep, Netflix (or Amazon Prime) and Plex or another media streamer like Kody, and I would be very, very happy.
post #12258 of 16599 Old 06-08-2016, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
I wish it had netflix
You mean like they teased us with back in their 2014 description of the DVR+?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DVR+ + Netflix.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1487313  
post #12259 of 16599 Old 06-09-2016, 06:54 PM

I wonder why t don't have Netflix is the cpu and memory enough?
post #12260 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wonder why t don't have Netflix is the cpu and memory enough?
They cannot negotiate an agreement with Netflix. The DVR+ is Linux like the Roku and should be able to run just about any app that runs on the Roku.
post #12261 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Question

Quote:
They cannot negotiate an agreement with Netflix. The DVR+ is Linux...
What I don't get is why they even need NetFlix's permission.
Sitting next to my DVR+ is my home theater PC, running Vista (stop laughing).
It runs VLC video player, and I have a browser that accesses TVTorrents to grab my MP4 files.
I also use that browser to access www.NetFlix.com

Couldn't the DVR+ run a generic Linux browser, pointing to www.NetFlix.com?
Then it would not be any different than what I already do on my PC, and there would be no agreement needed to negotiate!
JHBrandt likes this.

Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #12262 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
It runs VLC video player, and I have a browser that accesses TVTorrents to grab my MP4 files.

Then it would not be any different than what I already do on my PC, and there would be no agreement needed to negotiate!
Sounds good until you receive the demand letter.

The price is more than CM is willing to pay.
post #12263 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 PM

"Demand Letter"?

Either you are not understanding my question, or I don't get your answer.

What demand letter are you talking about?
I have a PC at home, with a browser, and I have been logging into my NetFlix account via the netflix.com web page for years.
So far, no one has sent me a demand letter.

If my DVR+ (which is a Linux PC, essentially) offered a browser, and I logged onto my account via the DVR+'s browser, I am doing the same thing as I, and millions of other Netflix users, do every day.

And none of us are getting demand letters. Just movies streamed to our TVs.

post #12264 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't understand this myself. You would think Netflix would want as many eyes as possible. Hulu made Roku make Plex break Free Hulu before Plex could be on the Roku and YouTube and Roku conspired to ban Videobuzz. Last time I talked to CM about this, they said Netflix was not interested and Amazon was close. When I told Netflix I would be leaving if they did not get on the DVR+, they said they were sorry to see me go. I went.
Quote:
Vista is my favorite version of Windows. It has the best version of MovieMaker and the best/included/free version of Media Center.
Quote:

Again, thinking about Roku because both are Linux, they have never gotten a browser to work properly.
post #12265 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
When I told Netflix I would be leaving if they did not get on the DVR+, they said they were sorry to see me go. I went.
While I admire you sticking with your principles, I don't see why NetFlix is so sorely needed on the DVR+.

Most smart TVs can access NetFlix directly, and my dumb TV can switch from DVR+ to my PC running NetFlix with just a few pushes of my "input" button.

Of course, at that point my DVR+ remote is useless so I have to use my PC's mouse.
Is that the reason why you'd prefer NetFlix on your DVR+.... so you can stick with one remote?

post #12266 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticimaging View Post
Sounds good until you receive the demand letter.
Or they simply "ban" their site like many companies did with Google TV (Logitech Revue) and its browser.

Updated: ABC, NBC, CBS Block Website Access from Google TV

There was a hack that got around it but I lost interest in Google TV so I don't know who ended up "winning"

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K 43" Monitor |
post #12267 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
While I admire you sticking with your principles, I don't see why NetFlix is so sorely needed on the DVR+.

Most smart TVs can access NetFlix directly, and my dumb TV can switch from DVR+ to my PC running NetFlix with just a few pushes of my "input" button.

Of course, at that point my DVR+ remote is useless so I have to use my PC's mouse.
Is that the reason why you'd prefer NetFlix on your DVR+.... so you can stick with one remote?
It wasn't about principles. I've been with Netflix since it was DVD only. I've seen everything twice. Recently they have been reducing their library and increasing their prices. I don't like their original content and found myself watching less each month. Last September, Prime did a $70 promotion and I switched. We do not watch a lot more Prime than Netflix, but I do like the HBO content. But it is less expensive and I enjoy the shopping and shipping discounts. Not sure if I will go for a second year. I may give Sling a ride this winter. I may just stick with OTA and media.
post #12268 of 16599 Old 06-10-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Because CM would likely create a native app which means licensing Netflix API's including decrypting content streams and Netflix would want $$$$ for its IP.
post #12269 of 16599 Old 06-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Or they simply "ban" their site like many companies did with Google TV (Logitech Revue) and its browser.

Updated: ABC, NBC, CBS Block Website Access from Google TV

There was a hack that got around it but I lost interest in Google TV so I don't know who ended up "winning"
This is just one of many reasons why I cannot get excited about streaming. If you are not fighting updates, you are fighting internet demons or IP police. Too much work.
post #12270 of 16599 Old 06-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
has anyone had a cm wifi dongle just stop working? do any kind of wifi dongles have a habit of suddenly dying? I don't think it's from the plug/pcb connections going bad/breaking, it was in the dvr+ and working one day the next day nothing. it had been working mostly fine for many months before this. I tried both dvr+ ports, three on my pc and lsusb (linux) never detects anything as having been plugged in.

I took it apart to look for bad solders but visually it looks ok. can surface mount caps go bad like the little can caps do? I don't believe it's from an electrical surge since the day it stopped working no lightning/power outage issues occurred prior to that.

since I already have this I'd like to fix it if possible but aren't sure what I'm looking for. if I get out the dmm would a dead wifi dongle show the same kinds of continuities a good one would meaning I wouldn't learn anything from that alone?

I bought this for half off at the cm open box ebay store which was probably my first mistake, chances are somebody else had trouble with it, returned it and like an idiot I gave them $20 bucks for a piece of junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page