Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 431 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #12901 of 16599 Old 10-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
It's possible that the true maximum is something like 300, but if it's over (say) 250 entries and/or 7 days at some point (perhaps midnight), the history is pruned to try to get down to those values. Since your dummy recordings would always keep you over 250, your history gets completely pruned every day.
That's true. 22 dummy recordings a day equals 154 every week. Multiply that by 2 to include past history and scheduled events and that's 308 events that don't include scheduled and manual recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12902 of 16599 Old 10-04-2016, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
A lot of us tolerated dissection of circuits and microcode. Tuners and standards are much more relevant to real human beings. Maybe we need an 'engineering the DVR+' thread?
I'm apologize for the my offtopic post, just want to clarify with last wizwor reply: we did discuss PCB, circuits and FW of the DVR+, what is totally relevant to the topic. While long windy offtopic side discussion about future of ATSC 3.0 practically irrelevant as the device doesn't support it nor will have support in distant future.
post #12903 of 16599 Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I'm apologize for the my offtopic post, just want to clarify with last wizwor reply: we did discuss PCB, circuits and FW of the DVR+, what is totally relevant to the topic. While long windy offtopic side discussion about future of ATSC 3.0 practically irrelevant as the device doesn't support it nor will have support in distant future.
And discussion of any topic that relates somehow to every piece of equipment with TV tuners shouldn't be scattered over many threads devoted to the various pieces of equipment. Obviously such discussion can be more orderly and more easily found if it's consolidated into a thread devoted to the particular topic at hand, like ATSC 3.0 or whatever. That's why we have lots of different threads.

Last edited by L David Matheny; 10-05-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12904 of 16599 Old 10-05-2016, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
... While long windy off-topic side discussion about future of ATSC 3.0 practically irrelevant as the device doesn't support it nor will have support in distant future.
Actually, even that was disputed; wizwor believes the DVR+ firmware will likely be updated to stream A/V from an ATSC 3.0 router. Which is possible, I suppose, if the DVR+'s processor can handle real-time h.265 decoding (don't know if that's the case or not) ....

But we do seem to have gotten rather "meta" here. We just wrapped up a marginally-OT discussion about the impact of ATSC 3.0; now we're having a discussion about whether that discussion was too OT to have discussed in this thread!

Are we next going to have another discussion about this discussion about whether the first discussion was too OT?

My head is starting to hurt
wizwor likes this.
post #12905 of 16599 Old 10-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Actually, even that was disputed; wizwor believes the DVR+ firmware will likely be updated to stream A/V from an ATSC 3.0 router. Which is possible, I suppose, if the DVR+'s processor can handle real-time h.265 decoding (don't know if that's the case or not) ....

But we do seem to have gotten rather "meta" here. We just wrapped up a marginally-OT discussion about the impact of ATSC 3.0; now we're having a discussion about whether that discussion was too OT to have discussed in this thread!

Are we next going to have another discussion about this discussion about whether the first discussion was too OT?

My head is starting to hurt
The ATSC 3.0 discussion started when someone mentioned buying the Magnavox DVR when it comes out. Which I think I am going to do too.
The Magnavox DVR that I have now does not have the Progress Bar.
I hate that Progress Bar it drive me nuts, every night I cuss it out. I am willing to spend more money (that I don’t have) to get rid of the Progress Bar.
Greasemonkey likes this.
post #12906 of 16599 Old 10-05-2016, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I remember that now - IIRC one person said he was considering the 4-tuner Magnavox (which is no longer planned, but the 6-tuner model is still supposed to be out very soon), and someone else said that now might not be a good time to buy any DVR with tuners (especially 4 to 6 of them) that will start to go obsolete in a couple of years.

It was a reasonable point to consider, but it touched off a nerve and before we knew it, we were all off to the races.

OK, enough discussion of the ATSC 3.0 discussion. Now: on that sodding progress bar, just get in the habit of pressing Info twice to make it go away.

CM, please listen: in a future firmware update, let us turn it off, or at least shorten it. I know it's only up for 5 seconds (I timed it), but it seems to last much longer.
anant, Greasemonkey and pachinko like this.
post #12907 of 16599 Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
CM, please listen: in a future firmware update, let us turn it off, or at least shorten it. I know it's only up for 5 seconds (I timed it), but it seems to last much longer.
I agree. I like the purpose it serves. But I would like to be able to A) shorten it to 2 seconds, and B) not have it override things like CC or the screen action when single framing through a recording in order to be able to see the action in slow motion. It would also be nice if it disappeared in the specified time when the pause button is pressed.
pachinko likes this.
post #12908 of 16599 Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Now: on that sodding progress bar, just get in the habit of pressing Info twice to make it go away.
Or hit the "Cancel" button just once.

post #12909 of 16599 Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Or Exit or Back on the original remotes. Not sure which one corresponds to Cancel on the new remotes.

I used to do that; the problem was, if I was watching a recording, sometimes the progress bar would disappear just before I hit the button. Then, Back would dump me out to the recordings list, and I'd have to resume. Exit was even worse; it would dump me all the way out to live TV, and I'd have to hit DVR and find the recording I was watching again before I could resume.

With live viewing or time-shifting, Exit was safe; but Back would switch me to the channel I was watching before, and I'd lose my time-shifting buffer. Not good if I was several minutes behind real time in the buffer!

So rather than having to think about which button was safer depending on what I was doing at the time, I switched to just hitting Info twice. Two button presses instead of one, but it's always safe if the progress bar disappears before you do it.
Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #12910 of 16599 Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 254

Quote:
Or Exit or Back on the original remotes. Not sure which one corresponds to Cancel on the new remotes.

I used to do that; the problem was, if I was watching a recording, sometimes the progress bar would disappear just before I hit the button. Then, Back would dump me out to the recordings list, and I'd have to resume. Exit was even worse; it would dump me all the way out to live TV, and I'd have to hit DVR and find the recording I was watching again before I could resume.

With live viewing or time-shifting, Exit was safe; but Back would switch me to the channel I was watching before, and I'd lose my time-shifting buffer. Not good if I was several minutes behind real time in the buffer!

So rather than having to think about which button was safer depending on what I was doing at the time, I switched to just hitting Info twice. Two button presses instead of one, but it's always safe if the progress bar disappears before you do it.
post #12911 of 16599 Old 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So rather than having to think about which button was safer depending on what I was doing at the time, I switched to just hitting Info twice.
Same here. I use the Info button because it is ergonomically located on the flat remote, but sometimes use the CC button because it is easy to find by touch. But in regards to the Info button, I think it has the inverse problem that the Progress Bar has. It doesn't stay on long enough. I frequently see it cut off before I am finished reading a show's synopsis. I think another 2 seconds would take care of it. Another problem I see with the Info window (not so much the button)--and this might be a broadcaster issue, is that it doesn't always allow me to scroll down when the length of the synopsis exceeds the window size. Sometimes it does, but not always so it might not be a remote control issue, but an issue with the formatting of the meta data at the head end.
JHBrandt and dishrag2 like this.
post #12912 of 16599 Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Or hit the "Cancel" button just once.

I see no "Cancel" button on either the original "thin/flat" or the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control. Did you mean the "Exit" button, or is there a 3rd remote control model that should be added HERE?

As already noted, the "Exit" button can be painful if pressed at the wrong time.
post #12913 of 16599 Old 10-07-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I see no "Cancel" button on either the original "thin/flat" or the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control. Did you mean the "Exit" button, or is there a 3rd remote control model that should be added HERE?

As already noted, the "Exit" button can be painful if pressed at the wrong time.
Sorry, meant the "BACK" button on the original remote.

pachinko likes this.
post #12914 of 16599 Old 10-07-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Anyone else having issues with the VEVO channels on CMTV? I get a message saying that Channel Master is trying to add them in the future. How do they add something that already existed?

All other CMTV channels I watch are fine.
Besides Vevo, I'm also unable to watch 803 (Movee 4 U), 802 (The Dream Network), and 444 (Youtoo America). 803 and 802 are beta channels, so problems aren't unexpected, but 444 should be working and it just gives me an error.

On the plus side, 550 (RT) and 560 (Vibrant TV) are working better than ever. I see occasional buffering on RT but haven't seen that infuriating error box that cannot be dismissed come up in a while.
post #12915 of 16599 Old 10-08-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A second large Seagate HDD formats to 2047GB under 134R

Not long ago, Alainl12 reported that a Seagate model STEB3000100 3 TB HDD formatted to 2047GB under 134R. That was an improvement over 124R but still far short of the drive's full capacity.

I just tried Seagate's STEB4000100 4 TB HDD and got the same result: 2047GB. Interestingly, STB Health did correctly report the full capacity of the drive (about 3750 GB IIRC). If I hadn't hooked it up to my PC to check the formatting, I wouldn't have known that I didn't get the full 4TB. IOW, with this HDD, 134R acts identically to 115R and earlier versions.

That makes me wonder if 134R has introduced a new bug. Has anyone successfully formatted a large (>2 TB) HDD under 134R and gotten the full capacity of their drive, as checked on a PC? (I think it's safe to assume that large HDDs formatted under 124R or 132R can still be accessed by 134R; I'm only wondering about its formatting function.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-10-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Fix spelling of user name
post #12916 of 16599 Old 10-08-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not long ago, Alain12 reported that a Seagate model STEB3000100 3 TB HDD formatted to 2047GB under 134R. That was an improvement over 124R but still far short of the drive's full capacity.

I just tried Seagate's STEB4000100 4 TB HDD and got the same result: 2047GB. Interestingly, STB Health did correctly report the full capacity of the drive (about 3750 GB IIRC). If I hadn't hooked it up to my PC to check the formatting, I wouldn't have known that I didn't get the full 4TB. IOW, with this HDD, 134R acts identically to 115R and earlier versions.

That makes me wonder if 134R has introduced a new bug. Has anyone successfully formatted a large (>2 TB) HDD under 134R and gotten the full capacity of their drive, as checked on a PC? (I think it's safe to assume that large HDDs formatted under 124R or 132R can still be accessed by 134R; I'm only wondering about its formatting function.)
I'm wondering too! I would try reformatting my 3TB disk under 134R, but am currently monitoring the Schedule History, and don't want to take the chance of messing that up. I'll put it on the To Do list, and if it formats less than full capacity, I'll install 124R just to format it properly. Of course, since the History is not related to the disk, it might not harm anything to try?

FYI, STB Health has always reported the full capacity of the disk regardless of how much it formatted partition 2, and that's what made us originally believe the large disks were formatted correctly. We know better now!
post #12917 of 16599 Old 10-09-2016, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Its pretty sad they cannot figure out how to format a HDD to utilize its full capacity.
post #12918 of 16599 Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Its pretty sad they cannot figure out how to format a HDD to utilize its full capacity.
Before 124R, this was the case, but they did fix it in 124R without admitting it was a fault of the programming. The question now is if there is a problem with some disks, or did the fix in 124R get messed up in either 132R or 134R? Until we can run tests, we won't know for certain. The disk I will eventually use for the test is a 3TB model that would only format to 2TB prior to 124R, so it should be a good test subject, at least for sizes up to 3TB.
post #12919 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not long ago, Alainl12 reported that a Seagate model STEB3000100 3 TB HDD formatted to 2047GB under 134R. That was an improvement over 124R but still far short of the drive's full capacity.
Quote:
The question now is if there is a problem with some disks, or did the fix in 124R get messed up in either 132R or 134R? Until we can run tests, we won't know for certain. The disk I will eventually use for the test is a 3TB model that would only format to 2TB prior to 124R, so it should be a good test subject, at least for sizes up to 3TB.
I wonder if Alainl12 tried to format his 3 TB HDD under 132R?

I also wonder if STB Health reported the HDD's full capacity under 124R, where it formatted to under 1 TB. The DVR+'s trick of reporting full capacity but only formatting 2 TiB always seemed to me less like a bug than a way of intentionally covering up that the HDD's full capacity wasn't being used.

But once they fixed it in 124R, it's hard to see how some (Seagate) HDDs format to oddball small sizes if the DVR+ "knows" the HDD's full capacity. So it seems plausible to me that STB Health would report incorrect sizes when it, um, "under-formats" an HDD.

That's why, when I saw the old behavior return, I thought E* might have messed up the 124R fix somehow.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-10-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Fix spelling of user name
post #12920 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
I wonder if Alain12 tried to format his 3 TB HDD under 132R?

I also wonder if STB Health reported the HDD's full capacity under 124R, where it formatted to under 1 TB. The DVR+'s trick of reporting full capacity but only formatting 2 TiB always seemed to me less like a bug than a way of intentionally covering up that the HDD's full capacity wasn't being used.

But once they fixed it in 124R, it's hard to see how some (Seagate) HDDs format to oddball small sizes if the DVR+ "knows" the HDD's full capacity. So it seems plausible to me that STB Health would report incorrect sizes when it, um, "under-formats" an HDD.

That's why, when I saw the old behavior return, I thought E* might have messed up the 124R fix somehow.
I did not try to format my 3tb under 132r.

The STB Health has always reported the correct size. I suppose that the STB Health get this information from an info command to the hdd firmware.
post #12921 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
I did not try to format my 3tb under 132r.

The STB Health has always reported the correct size.
Interesting.
Quote:
I suppose that the STB Health get this information from an info command to the hdd firmware.
You're probably right, which makes it even stranger that versions 124R and up don't always format the partitions to that total size! If it knows the "right" size, why does it ever use the "wrong" partition size with any HDD?

Seems like it should work every time; yet for some reason, it doesn't
post #12922 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm wondering too! I would try reformatting my 3TB disk under 134R, but am currently monitoring the Schedule History, and don't want to take the chance of messing that up.
BTW, on the Schedule History, mine consistently goes back only about 3 days, not 7.

I'm recording all the Star Trek episodes (except the original series, due to how I set up the timer). That's a lot of recordings. I wonder if that's what limits my history to 3 days?

Greasemonkey has even more recordings, due to the dummy recordings he uses to keep PSIP schedules up-to-date. The more I think about it, the more I believe there must be a rather small limit to how many recordings the Schedule History will show. Perhaps 15-20.
post #12923 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Max old Schedule History items is 25

My observations are showing that the DVR+ Schedule history retains at most 25 items prior to the current date and time. This is fairly easy to verify by just manually starting and stopping recordings after a few seconds (changing channels for each recording), in order to add them to the history until there are 25 shown with status = completed, or stopped (the dimmed items). Then start and stop another recording, and recount the old items in the Schedule. It will be 25, and the oldest will have been removed. Repeat, and there will still be only 25, again with the oldest removed.

At the moment the total number of recordings in my schedule is about 100 (yesterday it was 102, and now it's 101). Since we already know that Greasemonkey had 270 +/- in history, we still don't know if there is a maximum number of "pending" items in history. My guess is it could be as high as 1369 (24 hours * 2 * 14 days * 2 tuners + 25 old), but that is pure speculation, and likely wrong!
post #12924 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Greasemonkey has even more recordings, due to the dummy recordings he uses to keep PSIP schedules up-to-date. The more I think about it, the more I believe there must be a rather small limit to how many recordings the Schedule History will show. Perhaps 15-20.
It has to be more than 20. I have 11 dummy recordings in the morning, and 11 more in the evening, and all have shown up along with some stray scheduled or manual recordings.

Quote:
My observations are showing that the DVR+ Schedule history retains at most 25 items prior to the current date and time. This is fairly easy to verify by just manually starting and stopping recordings after a few seconds (changing channels for each recording), in order to add them to the history until there are 25 shown with status = completed, or stopped (the dimmed items).
If I remember in the next couple of days I'll test this, as well. That's only a day and a half, max for me.

Quote:
At the moment the total number of recordings in my schedule is about 100 (yesterday it was 102, and now it's 101). Since we already know that Greasemonkey had 270 +/- in history, we still don't know if there is a maximum number of "pending" items in history. My guess is it could be as high as 1369 (24 hours * 2 * 14 days * 2 tuners + 25 old), but that is pure speculation, and likely wrong!
That's a key point. We have to differentiate between the history of past recording events, and the "history" of upcoming recording events. There may be a difference in the number or past and future events that are permitted, along with an overall maximum of combined events. It makes me wonder what all this is doing to the spacetime continuum.
pachinko likes this.
post #12925 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My observations are showing that the DVR+ Schedule history retains at most 25 items prior to the current date and time. This is fairly easy to verify by just manually starting and stopping recordings after a few seconds (changing channels for each recording), in order to add them to the history until there are 25 shown with status = completed, or stopped (the dimmed items). Then start and stop another recording, and recount the old items in the Schedule. It will be 25, and the oldest will have been removed. Repeat, and there will still be only 25, again with the oldest removed.

25 sounds plausible. At the moment, though. mine only has 12 events in the "history," so the max. must vary depending on other, as-yet-undetermined factors (I'm using the word "history" here only for past events, not current or upcoming ones.) Those factors may or may not include: number of upcoming events (probably not a 1:1 relationship though), number of timers, etc.

I have determined that the DVR+ will schedule a max. of 15 upcoming events per timer, so multiply that by the max. number of timers (54?) and you should get the total max. upcoming events. On my DVR+, only Star Trek hits the maximum within the two weeks of the Rovi schedule, so this max. would rarely affect PSIP users (unless you set up timers like, "record every show with an 'E' in the title" )
post #12926 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

On an unrelated note, I came home to a locked-up DVR+ today. When I got home it was in standby, but it should have been recording, so I tried to turn it on to find out why. It wouldn't turn on with either the remote or the front-panel button.

A warm boot (holding down the front-panel button) unlocked it, but most of my recording timers showed no (or sometimes one) upcoming events. I had to refresh all my timers to ensure they would be recording all upcoming events.

It now appears to be working normally, but that was somewhat disturbing.
post #12927 of 16599 Old 10-10-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
On an unrelated note, I came home to a locked-up DVR+ today.
One of mine has locked up twice over the last week. Both times were when I left it on after turning the TV off for the night. Turning on the TV the next morning(s) I found a frozen image on the screen and none of the remote buttons would unlock it. Had to unplug the power to reset it. Both times the DVR+ skipped scheduled recordings during the lock-up.

post #12928 of 16599 Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
.. I suppose that the STB Health get this information from an info command to the hdd firmware.
It's named as "Identify" in ATA [SATA] cmd set
post #12929 of 16599 Old 10-11-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DVR+ 132R broke the 124R Formatting Fix

This morning I ran disk formatting tests in DVR+ versions 134R and 132R to see if they format a 3TB USB EHD to the full capacity of the disk. Unfortunately, they did NOT! Both left 746.49 GB unallocated on the 3TB disk. As such, the formatting fix that came in 124R has been broken.

I install version 124R, and as expected it formatted the EHD to the full 3TB capacity (2,794.4 GB). Also as expected, after reinstalling 134R, the EHD formatted in 124R was accepted without having to initialize it. The EHD was returned to Win10 to verify it was still fully formatted, and it was.

Unless the developers fix this issue again, anyone with a USB EHD larger than 2TB will have to temporarily install DVR+ 124R in order to format the EHD to it’s full capacity. That said, it’s unknown if there is a maximum size supported, but we do know a couple of 4TB disks are reported to work well. It's also unknown what would happen if someone replaced an internal HDD with a HDD larger than 2TB. I suspect it would have the same issue in 132R and 134R, and assume temporarily installing 124R would resolve the problem.

I did not try bringing the under formatted EHD to a Linux system to see if the 2TB partition could be extended to include the unallocated space. That did NOT work prior to 124R, but it might work now that version 132R and 134R accept 3TB disks fully formatted in 124R.

As a side note, Windows 10 Disk Manager would NOT allow doing anything with the unallocated space. I had to use a 3rd party disk manager (Paragon Hard Disk Manager 12) to work with the unallocated space, and to fully format the disk. I suspect other hard disk managers will work as well. Edit: Later I found this to be because the disk was MBR, and after converting to GPT the unallocated spaces merged, and all disk management functions returned.

Another side note, for those unaware, the DVR+ STB Health cannot be used to determine the size of the disk partitions. The HDD Size it reports is simply the capacity of the disk, not the combined size of the 2 partitions. The disk must be connected to a computer to determine partition sizes, and to see if any space is unallocated.
P Smith likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 10-24-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added line about converting MBR to GPT.
post #12930 of 16599 Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ugh. I'll have to set aside some time this weekend to install 124R with a "maintenance reset" and try reformatting my Seagate. It's a good thing I haven't activated Sling TV yet!

Of course, it still may not work. 124R has had several documented failures to properly format Seagate HDDs to their full capacity. Unfortunately, there's no way to know if 132R/134R "would" correctly format these Seagate HDDs "if" they hadn't broken the ^$%! 124R fix in the first place! It's possible though, since Alainl12 got more with even the broken 134R than he did with 124R when he formatted his 3TB Seagate.

In the meantime, I'll update post 8 at wizwor's unofficial DVR+ thread with this info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page