Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4271Likes

post #13111 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 1387
The suspicious thing about that 14-row guide, though, is that the screen seemed to have an aspect ratio of nearly 1:1! I suspect it may have been created on a PC.

But I agree: the DTVPal was a very under-appreciated DVR for its day (2008). Now that folks are aging out of them, I'm seeing way too many switch to TiVo (or occasionally Magnavox) instead of the DVR+.

Edit: BTW, a slightly smaller font (which, ironically, the DVR+ already uses when you highlight an entry - try it) would probably let them get three hours across instead of just 2.5 hours. But to get more rows, they'd either have to eliminate or shrink the channel logos, or else take up more of the screen, leaving less room for a DTVPal-style episode description at the top. (I'm for giving the user the option to get more rows by ditching the logos.)
dishrag2 likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-08-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13112 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks all for the help. I will complain to CM but I don't think it will help as I am not using their WiFi adapter.

If I reboot the router without reservations, the DVR shows the old address while the router shows a new address. Power reset on the DVR gets the right address. DHCP reservations have been made in the router and this seems to keep the DVR happier for a longer period. The channel on the router has been changed to 11. I have manually inserted the IP address into the DVR. (Adding all necessary info - mask, gateway etc.) The reset is a power removal - several times. Factory reset once - problems still persist. The extender is a D-Link AC-750 (DAP-1520).

I am leaning towards interference. I have ran my microwave for several minutes while watching and no failure. The only other source of interference may be my power company's smart meter. (I would like to get rid if it.)

I would be happy to try all logical suggestions if someone has them.
post #13113 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can't get TP-LINK TL-WN823N to work.

I found this adapter on a list posted earlier (by Pachinko I think) And I see that DeOlMan is having problems with the same device.

I previously had the same problem with a 7INOVA adapter. I just figured that one didn't work because it wasn't in the list I found after I couldn't get it to work.

When I go to Menu > settings > network setup > connection type, I get the following message:

"No Network adapter found. A network cannot be configured because no network adapters have been found. Please attach either a USB WiFi adapter or plug in a network cable and the network wizard will attempt to make a network connection for you."

I end up with that message no matter what I select on the network setup page.

I have the 16GB version with FW 124R(0.5). The adapter is plugged into the open USB port. I have tried plugging in the adapter while the unit is running and also have unplugged the unit, plugged in the adapter, and plugged in the DRV+. The router/modem (century link) is on channel 11 and I don't see a way to change the channel. However I don't think that is the problem since the adapter isn't being recognized.

Am I doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13114 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DeOlMan's adapter is working; just not reliably. Yours isn't working at all.

Sometimes manufacturers change the internals on these adapters without notice, so you may buy the same model that worked for someone else, and yet find it doesn't work for you.

It sounds like that may be what happened. If it's any consolation, the TL-WN823N should still work on a PC.

I guess that's why CM can get away with charging $39 for the bloody things.
anant and pachinko like this.
post #13115 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
I can't get TP-LINK TL-WN823N to work.

I found this adapter on a list posted earlier (by Pachinko I think) And I see that DeOlMan is having problems with the same device.

I previously had the same problem with a 7INOVA adapter. I just figured that one didn't work because it wasn't in the list I found after I couldn't get it to work.

When I go to Menu > settings > network setup > connection type, I get the following message:

"No Network adapter found. A network cannot be configured because no network adapters have been found. Please attach either a USB WiFi adapter or plug in a network cable and the network wizard will attempt to make a network connection for you."

I end up with that message no matter what I select on the network setup page.

I have the 16GB version with FW 124R(0.5). The adapter is plugged into the open USB port. I have tried plugging in the adapter while the unit is running and also have unplugged the unit, plugged in the adapter, and plugged in the DRV+. The router/modem (century link) is on channel 11 and I don't see a way to change the channel. However I don't think that is the problem since the adapter isn't being recognized.

Am I doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
I don't find a post where I listed the TL-WN823N dongle, but I do list it in the DVR+Lister and DVR+Explorer Q&A file. That aside, it appears you've gotten one that may not be compatible with the DVR+. What we've found is that although the dongles may be listed as model number TL-WN823N, they don't all have the same chipset (or something). I got one from China that does NOT work on the DVR+ or on a Windows PC.

If you can plug the dongle into Windows, go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, and see what number is listed with for the dongle. We've found that if the number is RTL8192CU it works on the DVR+, but if it's RTL8192EU, it does not work. In other words, if the number ends with "CU" it works, if "EU" it does not.

The following is a quote taken from the DVR+Lister / DVR+Explorer Q&A help file:
Quote:
CAUTION! Even though the dongle I've linked above works for me, a few months later an AVS Forum member bought 3 from the same site, and they were reported as NOT working on the DVR+ (but do work on a PC). The model I have (as revealed in Windows Device Manager), is RTL8192CU, while the model of the 3 reported bad models is RTL8192EU (note the last 2 characters). The seller on that page changed from GateShop to UCOOOL, and perhaps that has something to do with it.

Note: There is a discussion over the "VID_" and "PID_" values being what's important. See AVS Forum Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread, post 576, by P Smith, on 12-31-2013 at 07:08PM (central). Also see post 578, by P Smith, on 12-31-2013 at 07:27PM (central).

Before ordering, I'd advise checking the web page for the RTL number, the VID, and the PID. If not listed, contact the seller and ask for them before purchasing. Perhaps state the issue with these devices and the DVR+ to the seller, and let them know it might promote sales to DVR+ owners if those data were listed on the web page.

Both of my working Realtek Rtl8192cu WiFi Adapters (dongles) are VID_OBDA, PID_8178 Rev_0200. I don't know how to know these values when purchasing (they are not on the packaging, so perhaps ask the seller?), but when attached to a Windows PC, go to Device Manager and view the "Network Properties" for the Realtek Rtl8192cu Wireless LAN, then click the "Details" tab, and under properties, click "Hardware Ids" (see screenshot below).
anant likes this.
post #13116 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeOlMan View Post
Thanks all for the help. I will complain to CM but I don't think it will help as I am not using their WiFi adapter.
I probably wouldn't volunteer that info. I wouldn't lie if they asked, but if the DVR+ works with it, I doubt it's relevant to your problem.

I'm suspicious of the extender since that seems to be the unique part of your setup, but I don't know enough about wifi extenders to say anything definite.

Have you considered any other approaches, such as power line adapters?
pachinko likes this.
post #13117 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I don't find a post where I listed the TL-WN823N dongle, but I do list it in the DVR+Lister and DVR+Explorer Q&A file. That aside, it appears you've gotten one that may not be compatible with the DVR+. What we've found is that although the dongles may be listed as model number TL-WN823N, they don't all have the same chipset (or something).
He may have gotten it from my post toward the end of Wizwor's thread
Quote:
I got one from China that does NOT work on the DVR+ or on a Windows PC.
If it doesn't even work on Windows, I would've sent it back!
Quote:
The following is a quote taken from the DVR+Lister / DVR+Explorer Q&A help file:
Quote:
The seller on that page changed from GateShop to UCOOOL, and perhaps that has something to do with it.
Often Amazon has several sellers for the same item. The seller listed on their product page appears to be determined by some sort of algorithm that's driven primarily (but not entirely) by price. There's usually a link on the product page that will show all sellers, in case you have a reason to select a different seller of the item.
pachinko likes this.
post #13118 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Besides Vevo, I'm also unable to watch 803 (Movee 4 U), 802 (The Dream Network), and 444 (Youtoo America). 803 and 802 are beta channels, so problems aren't unexpected, but 444 should be working and it just gives me an error.

On the plus side, 550 (RT) and 560 (Vibrant TV) are working better than ever. I see occasional buffering on RT but haven't seen that infuriating error box that cannot be dismissed come up in a while.
Still no progress on the VEVO situation I see. It was one of my most utilized channels to kill time when I had company so perhaps it got yanked or VEVO tried to charge CM?
post #13119 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 07:40 PM

For what is worth I forgot to mention I am on FW 134R. I did write CM and all I gave them was the symptoms after a failure. (Just my luck though that they are most likely monitoring this thread.) I also told them the problem was still there after a factory reset as well.

Next step is to bypass the extender and see if it fails in that scenario.

If that fails, the next following step will be turning the DSL router into a bridge to connect to a D-Link router I have. (or a new replacement) I will turn off all functions of the DSL router except for it acting as a bridge.

I really find it a little hard to doing all of the troubleshoot when I know the DVR has turned all of the settings to 0.0.0.0 in the setup page. In all cases the status shows it is connected to the network but not the internet. (How could it with an IP address of 0.0.0.0?) It just doesn't make sense to me that something outside of the DVR is causing the settings to change.

My gut feeling keeps telling me it is some kind of an interaction between the DVR and the TP-Link.
post #13120 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
... In all cases the status shows it is connected to the network but not the internet. ...
Do you have a computer or anything else other than the DVR+'s going through the router to the Internet? If all of those devices are unable to get out onto the net, then I would suspect the router. When you say "A power off reset will restore the Internet connection for a period of a few hours to as long as several days", are you referring to a power off reset of the router? This "power cycling" of the router is the usual way I use to determine if I have a bad or going-bad router. [In fact, when shopping for a new router, I scan the user reviews for people saying that they have had to power cycle the router frequently -- and I stay the heck away from buying that model.]

If you do not have Internet access for your DVR+ currently (or once you are at the point in time when you lose access), power off or disconnect the power to your router ONLY. Let it sit for a full minute and reconnect power to it. It shouldn't lose any settings (none of my routers have ever lost settings on a power cycle) but if your DVR+ shows an IP of 0.0.0.0, then you'd want to make sure DHCP is turned on at the router (and your DVR+ should, of course, know the password to be allowed onto the wireless network). If you get Internet access again -- having done just that ONE thing of power cycling the router -- even for just a little while, then you need to start shopping for a new router. If you have a known good router (if that D-Link still works, that would be a good first step), replace the current one with it and see if your Internet access returns.

I have had two routers go bad on me over the years and this is exactly the symptom that is exhibited -- a lost Internet connection that returns after a power cycle.
post #13121 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 09:56 PM

I have not power reset the router. I have only power reset the DVR. I will try the power reset on the router next time. (It may be a few days before failing.) I have several other WiFi devices (9) connected and none of them have even hiccuped on their connections. The only units I am having difficulties with is both DVRs.
post #13122 of 16920 Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have not power reset the router. I have only power reset the DVR. I will try the power reset on the router next time. (It may be a few days before failing.) I have several other WiFi devices (9) connected and none of them have even hiccuped on their connections. The only units I am having difficulties with is both DVRs.
If the other 9 WiFi devices have no problems getting to the Internet during those times when the DVR+'s cannot, then it's not a failing router. [When my router failed, nothing got through to the Internet.]
post #13123 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by owburp View Post
If the other 9 WiFi devices have no problems getting to the Internet during those times when the DVR+'s cannot, then it's not a failing router. [When my router failed, nothing got through to the Internet.]
Add to that: when the router fails, you can't access your modem status either. For Arris/Motorola that's 192.168.100.1.
post #13124 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

The previous model also had 300X forward and reverse speeds which was far better than what the DVR+ has.

What I would love to see is a direct "jump to time," so I don't have to scan my way into a long recording.

I was hopeful that CM would be enhancing the features when they surveyed owners for ideas, but it has been a while, so who knows?
dishrag2 likes this.
post #13125 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for your suggestion

Quote:
I don't find a post where I listed the TL-WN823N dongle, but I do list it in the DVR+Lister and DVR+Explorer Q&A file. That aside, it appears you've gotten one that may not be compatible with the DVR+. What we've found is that although the dongles may be listed as model number TL-WN823N, they don't all have the same chipset (or something). I got one from China that does NOT work on the DVR+ or on a Windows PC.

If you can plug the dongle into Windows, go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, and see what number is listed with for the dongle. We've found that if the number is RTL8192CU it works on the DVR+, but if it's RTL8192EU, it does not work. In other words, if the number ends with "CU" it works, if "EU" it does not.

Unfortunately when I go to properties Manufacturer, Model Number and Description are all unavailable. Oh well, it was only $13 shipped. I just hate to pay CM $40 for a $10 product.
pachinko likes this.
post #13126 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Besides Vevo, I'm also unable to watch 803 (Movee 4 U), 802 (The Dream Network), and 444 (Youtoo America). 803 and 802 are beta channels, so problems aren't unexpected, but 444 should be working and it just gives me an error.

On the plus side, 550 (RT) and 560 (Vibrant TV) are working better than ever. I see occasional buffering on RT but haven't seen that infuriating error box that cannot be dismissed come up in a while.
Shortly after I wrote that, Youtoo America started working for me again, but I also got the infuriating error box on RT again. The error seems to happen just often enough to make RT not worth watching on CMTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallik View Post
Still no progress on the VEVO situation I see. It was one of my most utilized channels to kill time when I had company so perhaps it got yanked or VEVO tried to charge CM?
CM sent out an email survey some time ago. One of the survey questions asked if we would consider subscribing to any pay channels if some were added to CMTV.

I could imagine that, depending on the channel and the cost, of course. I doubt I'd pay for Vevo though. Most of the videos can be found on YouTube for free.
post #13127 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's interesting. You have two DVRs, and presumably two WiFi dongles, and both are failing?

Do they both fail at the same time? That would point to something in common between them. But if they fail at different times, perhaps the WiFi dongles are to blame after all.
post #13128 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
Unfortunately when I go to properties Manufacturer, Model Number and Description are all unavailable. Oh well, it was only $13 shipped. I just hate to pay CM $40 for a $10 product.
Let me ask you the same question I asked DeOlMan: Have you considered any other approaches, such as power line adapters?

Although a pair will cost more than $13, they're still an economical alternative to CM's WiFi adapter - especially if you have more than one DVR+ to connect. (You only need N+1 to connect N DVR+s, so the savings start adding up after the first DVR+.)
post #13129 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. You have two DVRs, and presumably two WiFi dongles, and both are failing?

Do they both fail at the same time? That would point to something in common between them. But if they fail at different times, perhaps the WiFi dongles are to blame after all.
I can say that when my main DVR has failed, I will find the other DVR in a failed mode as well. Does it happen at the same time? As in the same minute? I don't know. Both dongles were purchased at the same time so I haven't ruled them out yet.
post #13130 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's probably safe to assume both DVR+'s are failing at the same time, so I'd look for something in common that could make them both fail at once. It seems unlikely to me that two dongles, even if identical, would always experience the same intermittent error at around the same time.

Perhaps there's some sort of momentary glitch in the WiFi that knocks them both out. Maybe it even affects other devices, but they all recover right away, except for the DVR+'s, so you never see any of the other devices disconnected. (It wouldn't surprise me if DVR+ firmware has a bug in WiFi error recovery.)
post #13131 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All,

Channel Master offering Black Friday price of $249 for 1TB internal drive DVR+ thru Nov 28th

http://www.channelmaster.com/Special...m?Click=122637
post #13132 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 02:56 PM

Does anyone have a good email address for support at CM.

Either my eyes are bad or their website leaves a little to be desired.
post #13133 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Does anyone have a good email address for support at CM.

Either my eyes are bad or their website leaves a little to be desired.
Customer Service: [email protected]

Sales: [email protected]

phone number: (877) 746-7261
645824 likes this.
post #13134 of 16920 Old 11-09-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Customer Service: [email protected]

Sales: [email protected]

phone number: (877) 746-7261
Greatly appreciated - thanks much.
post #13135 of 16920 Old 11-10-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersrj View Post
All,

Channel Master offering Black Friday price of $249 for 1TB internal drive DVR+ thru Nov 28th

Good deal - but on the downside, it looks like the $279 bundle I posted about earlier is gone now.

Edit: Correction - it's still available here:
Quote:
This DVR+ bundle from Channel Master has a better than average price: $279 http://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Free...m-7500bdl5.htm
The HDD in the picture is a Toshiba model.
Not sure which deal is better. The $279 includes an official CM WiFi adapter for only $30 more - still too much, but less than you'd pay separately.

I suppose it depends on whether you prefer an internal or external HDD. Personally, I'd lean toward the external HDD: it's easily replaced in case it fails, and easily connects to a PC, either for use with DVR+ Lister or for reuse as a laptop drive if you upgrade your DVR+ to a larger HDD at some point. But an internal HDD is more aesthetically pleasing and more convenient if you need to move your DVR+ often.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-10-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #13136 of 16920 Old 11-10-2016, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Too bad they aren't offering the 16GB model at 30% off also.

post #13137 of 16920 Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersrj View Post
All,

Just noticed something interesting on that page:
Quote:
$249 Regular $349
So it looks like CM has dropped the regular price of the 1TB model by $50. Still too high IMO but much better than $399.
post #13138 of 16920 Old 11-10-2016, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Been watching Sling/CNN intensely this week.
Intermittently, the image freezes for split second and recovers fine. But sometimes it doesn't recover, just freezes. The guide button is disabled. Only way to get out of it is to go back to OTA and start over. Then things are fine until it happens again. (About once every 1.5 hours).

Anyone else experiencing issues with Sling?
post #13139 of 16920 Old 11-10-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent2174 View Post
Been watching Sling/CNN intensely this week.
Intermittently, the image freezes for split second and recovers fine. But sometimes it doesn't recover, just freezes. The guide button is disabled. Only way to get out of it is to go back to OTA and start over. Then things are fine until it happens again. (About once every 1.5 hours).

Anyone else experiencing issues with Sling?
Sling does this often with me on my Vizio P series TV(casting)....no matter what channel I watch.

JVC X550R /Panny UB820/GIK treatments
Elunevision 140" 2.35
Marantz AV8802a/Wyred4Sound 7-channel amp
Outlaw 5000/ 4 JBL 328Cs for Atmos/ 7.2.4 Atmos
JTR 3TX LCRs/Single8 HT-LP surrounds(4)/Dual Pierce/Speakerpower 21" subs
post #13140 of 16920 Old 11-10-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Show Descriptions

Quote:
Both! I think that's a drawback of CM's current business model of reselling other folks' stuff under their own name. If users want something changed, enough of them have to pester CM that CM specs out the change for E* (or whoever's crap they're reselling; no telling for a box like the CM-7003). The added bureaucracy of having to coordinate changes between two companies makes it a lot harder to fix things.

BTW, on your original complaint about the guide, E* could just make it like their old DTVPal, where the description of the currently-selected show appears in the top half of the screen. The only difference would be the DTVPal didn't have the DVR+'s semi-transparent guide display.
Yes! Thanks. As to the shows' info on the guide screen, the semi-transparency is good, so keep that and have the show info on-screen only when you want it there. So simple. So impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Joe, you are still barking on wrong tree

CM has no control of FW, it's e* comp asset !
And yet, I'm still not as wrong as EchoMaster, with all their follies.
J

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page