Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4498Likes

post #13171 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rocks View Post
I am looking for a universal remote that's easier to use & see for my new CM DVR+. The one single feature I really like about the DVR+ remote is the ability to turn on/off BOTH the TV & DVR with the click of a single button. Some don't particularly like this function, but I really do!
The Harmony 300 / 350 series has a single button that turns off the TV and DVR+. The DVR+ is listed in Harmony's database under ChannelMaster 7500. The yellow "Watch TV" button in the upper right does this if you have the TV assigned to the "TV/Media" button and the DVR+ assigned to the "Cable/PC" button.

My Harmony 300 only has the first of those button names; the 350 added support for 8 devices instead of just 4.

Because I have a DVR+ (assigned to the "Cable/PC" button), a Roku (assigned to the "AVR/Game" button) and a ONKYO receiver (assigned to the "DVD/Music" button), and switching inputs on my Samsung TV is an exercise in frustration, I added a HDMI switch and assigned the ports on the switch to the "Favorites" buttons ... the numbered buttons 1 through 5 right below those device buttons. This required programming them in each of the four device modes, but it made switching inputs from device to device much easier. The DVR+ is port 1, the Roku port 2, my DVD player port 3 and my ONKYO receiver port 4 (port 5 is unused).

The programming for the DVR+ in Harmony's database is almost perfect. All of the major remote functions work as expected. Under the "OK" button and four directional arrow keys, that are flanked by the volume and channel rocker switches, the "DVR" and "Live" buttons live. On the Harmony 300, if you get one used, the "DVR" button is named "List" but is programmed correctly for the DVR+.

I'm not a big fan of Harmony's more expensive devices that stack commands in macros, but this remote works on a device by device basis. To change from the Roku on port 2 to the DVR+ I press the "1" button, then the "Cable/PC" button and watch. For any of my devices I'm two button presses away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harmony-350.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1772777  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with the remotes tonite.
So I reset the DVR+ remote so only the DVR+ commands were left on the remote - no TV codes. The 20.1 learned the DVR+ Power On just fine. Next, I worked on the 20.1 TV learning. Normally TV volume would also control the sound bar, but something FUBAR'd & I was unable to control the sound bar. Some factory resets on the sound bar remote got things working again.

It was getting late and I needed to get things working for SWMBO for tomorrow while I'm at work. So I went back to the DVR+ remote to (re)set up the TV since I had cleared the TV commands earlier. I have had the CMDVR+ for just a few weeks, but I remembered how I originally set up the TV on the remote - I referred back to the manual just to make sure - Easy Scan #0 for Vizio. The programming worked fine, but when I went to turn on the TV from DVR+ remote, NOTHING! I tried various versions of factory reset, swapping batteries, EASY Scan (both options), Code Entry, etc, etc, etc....

The DVR+ remote will control Volume, Mute, Input but not power. I have set aside the 20.1 remote for now and am concentrating in DVR+ remote, but I honestly have no idea where to go from here. I may have to go to CM Support, but am hoping to avoid that. Maybe someone here has a fix.

BTW, thanks JHBrandt for the button mapping guide. I think yours (or a version thereof) is the one sitting on the table at home waiting for my nimble fingers to go to work!

~Frank
post #13173 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
The Harmony 300 / 350 series has a single button that turns off the TV and DVR+. The DVR+ is listed in Harmony's database under ChannelMaster 7500.
Thanks. The Harmony 350 is definitely on my short list. I just want to get up to speed on the Dish 20.1 before I try anything else. Oh, and get the DVR+ remote working again (even though I don't really care for it)?!

~Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13174 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
So I reset the DVR+ remote so only the DVR+ commands were left on the remote - no TV codes. The 20.1 learned the DVR+ Power On just fine. Next, I worked on the 20.1 TV learning. Normally TV volume would also control the sound bar, but something FUBAR'd & I was unable to control the sound bar. Some factory resets on the sound bar remote got things working again.

It was getting late and I needed to get things working for SWMBO for tomorrow while I'm at work. So I went back to the DVR+ remote to (re)set up the TV since I had cleared the TV commands earlier. I have had the CMDVR+ for just a few weeks, but I remembered how I originally set up the TV on the remote - I referred back to the manual just to make sure - Easy Scan #0 for Vizio. The programming worked fine, but when I went to turn on the TV from DVR+ remote, NOTHING! I tried various versions of factory reset, swapping batteries, EASY Scan (both options), Code Entry, etc, etc, etc....

The DVR+ remote will control Volume, Mute, Input but not power. I have set aside the 20.1 remote for now and am concentrating in DVR+ remote, but I honestly have no idea where to go from here. I may have to go to CM Support, but am hoping to avoid that. Maybe someone here has a fix.
Very odd. I would try resetting the remote control to the factory configuration, then try programming the TV again.

CM has instruction on resetting both the original "Thin/Flat" remote control, and the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control, on their web page titled "Why is my DVR+(CM-7500) remote control not working correctly". The reset process varies depending upon the model of the remote. The instructions for the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control are near the bottom of the page.

Wish you luck!
post #13175 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Very odd. I would try resetting the remote control to the factory configuration, then try programming the TV again.
Thanks pachinko. I noticed the instructions for factory reset on the CM site is slightly different from the reset instructions you provided earlier. I will give the 'new' instructions a shot tonite. Thanks!

~Frank
post #13176 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks pachinko. I noticed the instructions for factory reset on the CM site is slightly different from the reset instructions you provided earlier. I will give the 'new' instructions a shot tonite. Thanks!

~Frank
Yeah, it is different! Unfortunately I neglected to make a notation where I found those instructions to remove the TV programming, so I can't track back to that source, but evidently it worked.

Not very long ago, the CM page I linked for resetting the remote controls only had instructions for the "Thin/Flat" remote control. I assume Factory Resetting must do something different than just removing the TV programming, such as also removing the Audio programming, and maybe something else.
post #13177 of 17469 Old 11-16-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is different! Unfortunately I neglected to make a notation where I found those instructions to remove the TV programming, so I can't track back to that source, but evidently it worked.
Well, great news - the instruction on resetting the remote on the CM site worked perfectly. After resetting the remote to factory specs I was able to add the TV programming back in

Next will be to attack the Dish 20.1 remote. With the information I have gathered from these last few posts it should not be as daunting a task as I once feared. I am not sure when I will be able to get back to the 20.1 but I will post an update once I get it programmed to my satisfaction - or maybe sooner if I need more help unFUBARing something!

Thanks to all for all the great help and advice so far.

~Frank
pachinko likes this.
post #13178 of 17469 Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 140
DVR+ on/off toggle

If you can borrow one of the older DVR+ flat remotes to program your other remotes, it has the on/off toggle code instead of discrete on and off codes. My Dish remote is programmed with that for the big power button, and of course picks up the TV on/off toggle code from the TV setting on the remote for the small power button. That gives you independent control of the TV and DVR+ with just 2 buttons. IMHO it's a damn shame they changed the way it works for the new remote, but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.
post #13179 of 17469 Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2978 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
The older DVR+ flat remotes also have separate page and CC keys, which you could also teach to your learning remote; but if you have newer firmware (123R and up) it won't do you any good. The page keys just do the same thing as the channel keys, and the CC key just does the same thing as the Audio key.

If you have older firmware (115R and earlier), you should teach your learning remote at least the separate page keys. You'll need them in several places. If you use closed captions you'll probably want the separate CC key too.

As for the On/Off change, there are times when a "System On" and "System Off" button is handy, but I think the real mistake was removing the power toggle keys. It was rather arrogant of CM to assume the only thing you use your TV with is their DVR+, so of course you'll never want to turn the DVR+ off and leave your TV on
post #13180 of 17469 Old 11-18-2016, 08:47 AM

Well, with much trial and error, I finally got the Dish 20.1 Remote up and running. The biggest problem I had was getting the CM-7500XRC2 DVR+ Enhanced Remote configured properly to teach the 20.1. The following steps are what I used to program the DVR+ remote. I make absolutely no guarantee in any way, shape, or form that this will work for anyone else, but it did work for me. Do this at your own risk.

There were a couple of close calls when the DVR+ decided it was time to initialize the HD . Disaster avoided, but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! You can find detailed instructions on how to set up your remotes for Programming/Learning in the respective user manuals.

1. Program your DVR+ remote to the TV you are going to be using. Next program your 20.1 to your TV.

2. I had already programmed the DVR+ remote for my TV, but could not learn any of the On/Off commands to to 20.1, so I had to un-program the TV from the DVR+ remote. Do not use the factory reset process described on the CM web site. I did and was unable to teach the 20.1 the CM On command. Instead use the reset process that pachinko provided first -
Quote:
The following instructions are for removing the TV codes from the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote:
Quote:
Removing the TV programming (On/Off, Volume, Mute, and Input) from the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" Remote Control requires resetting the remote control. Once removed, those features will no longer function, unless the device is reprogrammed for another TV, or the same TV.

• Hold down the Setup and Off buttons simultaneously.
  • The light under the Off button will flash 4 times.
  • Release both buttons.

Something happened when I used the CM process, where the DVR+ On/Off commands were not being learned by the 20.1. BUT, reprogramming the TV commands to the DVR+ remote, THEN using the above process somehow allowed the DVR+ remote to teach the 20.1 the ON command. I am not concerned about teaching DVR+ Off cammand since the DVR+ will go to sleep eventually.

3. Now it's time to teach your 20.1 some new tricks. I programmed my 20.1 on the AUX mode. Your choice is between DVD mode or AUX mode. TV mode is already being used by the programming you did in step 1.

Choose whatever button mapping you wish, or you can create your own. Here are a couple of threads you might find useful: This one and this one. Since your TV mode button is already programmed for TV Off/On, Volume, and Mute your 20.1 will not need to learn these commands again. However if you need to use the Input button you will either need to switch modes to TV and use the Input button, or teach the 20.1 Input on AUX mode (or DVD, if that's what you're using). When I learned Input to the 20.1 Input button, the command did not respond as expected, so I used the Swap button, bottom left.

Now, try out your 20.1. If everything works to your satisfaction move on to step 4. If not repeat until you're happy.

4. Next is to put your DVR+ remote back to a usable condition. Here is where you can use the CM instructions:
Quote:
CM has instruction on resetting both the original "Thin/Flat" remote control, and the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control, on their web page titled "Why is my DVR+(CM-7500) remote control not working correctly". The reset process varies depending upon the model of the remote. The instructions for the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control are near the bottom of the page.
Quote:
For the enhanced remote follow these steps.
Clear all user presets and set to factory default configuration.
  1. Press and hold the Setup button until it blinks 2 times, then release and press 980. The power button should now blink 4 times.
  2. Press and hold the Setup button until it blinks 2 times, then release and press 977. The power button should now blink 4 times.
If none of the above works, please submit an inquiry on our contact us form on our website.
5. Finally you can now program your DVR+ remote TV commands.

Now the bottom line. Having never programmed a universal remote control, this was quite a learning experience. I do not love or hate either of my remotes, as the each have their own pluses and minuses. SWMBO likes the CM remote and I like the Dish 20.1. Let the remote wars begin.

~Frank
post #13181 of 17469 Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, with much trial and error, I finally got the Dish 20.1 Remote up and running. The biggest problem I had was getting the CM-7500XRC2 DVR+ Enhanced Remote configured properly to teach the 20.1.
Thanks for sharing the procedure you followed for programming the Dish 20.1 remote to operate the DVR+!

Quote:
There were a couple of close calls when the DVR+ decided it was time to initialize the HD . Disaster avoided, but YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Are you saying programming the remotes had something to do with the DVR+ wanting to initialize the storage disk? I would like to hear about this. And is it an internal HDD, or a USB EHD? What is the DVR+ software version?

Quote:
2. I had already programmed the DVR+ remote for my TV, but could not learn any of the On/Off commands to to 20.1...
We suspect because the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote sends multiple codes, the first for the discrete TV On or Off, and the next for the discrete DVR+ On or Off, and the Dish 20.1 doesn't support learning multiple codes to a single button.

Quote:
2. I had already programmed the DVR+ remote for my TV, but could not learn any of the On/Off commands to to 20.1, so I had to un-program the TV from the DVR+ remote. Do not use the factory reset process described on the CM web site. I did and was unable to teach the 20.1 the CM On command. Instead use the reset process that pachinko provided first -

Something happened when I used the CM process, where the DVR+ On/Off commands were not being learned by the 20.1. BUT, reprogramming the TV commands to the DVR+ remote, THEN using the above process somehow allowed the DVR+ remote to teach the 20.1 the ON command. I am not concerned about teaching DVR+ Off cammand since the DVR+ will go to sleep eventually.
Definitely weird!

Quote:
3... Here are a couple of threads you might find useful: This one and this one.
Please recode the URLs used to go to the posts listing the button mapping by JHBrant and frank70 so that they work with all posts per page settings. I see yours is set at 30 posts per page (the default), mine is set at 100. There is a bug in the AVS Forum handling of links which they are unable to fix. The URL listed under the post number usually works ONLY for those having the same post per page value when it is copied. To make links work for all post per page values, change the page number in the link to whatever the post number is. For example, the first link is ...thread-264.html#post32837545, change it to ...thread-post32837545.html#post32837545. Oddly, the link to frank70's post, which includes a page number, takes me to the proper post after a redirection. Go figure why one works and another doesn't!

JHBrant updated the mapping just a few days ago to included mapping for the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote.
post #13182 of 17469 Old 11-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Are you saying programming the remotes had something to do with the DVR+ wanting to initialize the storage disk? I would like to hear about this. And is it an internal HDD, or a USB EHD? What is the DVR+ software version?
Software version 134R 1TB USB EHD.

Message on the screen definitely said initializing. That scared the bejesus out of me. I hit the Off button on the DVR+ remote forgetting that only puts the DVR+ in standby. But when I turned it back on all my recordings were intact and the message went away. While learning the 20.1 I think I may have gotten my button pushing sequence bassackwards, where I may have been pushing the DVR+ remote before the 20.1. In the process of getting straightened up, I may have initiated the initialization. Still,it would have to have been an extremely planned out coincidence! That only happened once in at least 6 or more attempts to program the 20.1. The other SNAFU I think maybe was me hitting the Input button during learning and a message appeared, possibly from the Roku.

Most likely both problems were of my own doing, just wanted anyone taking on this project to expect the unexpected.

I will work on fixing the links.

~Frank
post #13183 of 17469 Old 11-18-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Major Harmful bug in DVR+ Lister version 16.9.1 << BETA Merge >>

There is a major Harmful bug in DVR+ Lister version 16.9.1 << BETA Merge >>!
Click HERE to read about it.

post #13184 of 17469 Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
There is a major Harmful bug in DVR+ Lister version 16.9.1 << BETA Merge >>!
Click HERE to read about it.

You think this could have something to do with my experience?

~Frank
post #13185 of 17469 Old 11-18-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You think this could have something to do with my experience?

~Frank
If you mean do I think the nasty bug had anything to do with your DVR+ saying it wanted to "initialize" the disk, then No! Not even if you merged recordings to another disk using DVR+ Lister v16.9.1 << Beta - Merge >>, and attached that disk to the DVR+.

FYI: It is important to always use the DVR+ menu to disconnect a USB EHD, especially if you intend to attach a different USB EHD. I've seen the DVR+ not realize the disks were swapped while the DVR+ was in Standby mode. But even that didn't trigger a desire on the part of the DVR+ to prompt to initialize the disk, it just displayed the wrong Show Titles in the DVR window.

PS, I've found the cause of the bug and fixed it, but have to do lots more testing to make sure nothing else triggers it.
post #13186 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Software version 134R 1TB USB EHD.

Message on the screen definitely said initializing. That scared the bejesus out of me. I hit the Off button on the DVR+ remote forgetting that only puts the DVR+ in standby. But when I turned it back on all my recordings were intact and the message went away. While learning the 20.1 I think I may have gotten my button pushing sequence bassackwards, where I may have been pushing the DVR+ remote before the 20.1. In the process of getting straightened up, I may have initiated the initialization. Still,it would have to have been an extremely planned out coincidence! That only happened once in at least 6 or more attempts to program the 20.1. The other SNAFU I think maybe was me hitting the Input button during learning and a message appeared, possibly from the Roku.

Most likely both problems were of my own doing, just wanted anyone taking on this project to expect the unexpected.

I will work on fixing the links.

~Frank
I take it you were in the same room as the TV and programming your 20.1? I suggest YOU and others don't do that! I always do it in another room with the TV off!
pachinko likes this.
post #13187 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all! Just bought the DVR+ 1TB and having some guide issues. I have been reading about an issue I have where most of my channels only get 1 day of guide info. I've contacted CM about this problem but they have not responded after a couple days. Read here about changing zip codes. I have 5 zip codes in my general area (97701, 02, 07, 08, 09) and they all provide (or not) the same info. I assume the problem is ROVI? My DVR+ is connected by ethernet and I have no problem updating the software, using streaming channels, etc so it's not an internet connectivity issue. Should I try a completely different zip code way out of my area? Any other suggestions or am I just out of luck. I assume without more than a day of guide info, the DVR+ is much less useful and I should consider returning for a refund?

Also, if I did keep it, which is a better deal? The 1TB DVR+ for $249 or the Freedom bundle of 16GB DVR+, wifi dongle, and 1 TB external drive for $279?

Thanks much for any help you can offer! Cheers, robliv
post #13188 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robliv View Post
Hi all! Just bought the DVR+ 1TB and having some guide issues. I have been reading about an issue I have where most of my channels only get 1 day of guide info. I've contacted CM about this problem but they have not responded after a couple days. Read here about changing zip codes. I have 5 zip codes in my general area (97701, 02, 07, 08, 09) and they all provide (or not) the same info. I assume the problem is ROVI? My DVR+ is connected by ethernet and I have no problem updating the software, using streaming channels, etc so it's not an internet connectivity issue. Should I try a completely different zip code way out of my area? Any other suggestions or am I just out of luck. I assume without more than a day of guide info, the DVR+ is much less useful and I should consider returning for a refund?

Also, if I did keep it, which is a better deal? The 1TB DVR+ for $249 or the Freedom bundle of 16GB DVR+, wifi dongle, and 1 TB external drive for $279?

You can enter any valid Zip Code, even one thousands of miles away. I'm in the Central Time Zone and I just entered you 97701 into my DVR+, and it received Rovi data up to Sat. Dec. 3. So it looks like it's not a Rovi issue in your area. If you do try a Zip Code that is not in your area, the Rovi data will be received, but will usually NOT match the channels in your area, so expect the data to not be what you expect for your channels. Using such a Zip Code is useful for checking for someone else (like I did in this case), and for determining if Rovi is experiencing a "temporary outage" in your area.

The first thing to notice is what the channel icons look like on your DVR+. If they are all the same generic looking black and white TV icons, then you're just getting the PSIP data that comes over the air with the broadcasts. That said, keep in mind that for a few minutes after entering a Zip Code, the icons will be the generic icon, but then they will change to colorful icons as Rovi data piles up. My guess is you're only getting PSIP data. Being you're using Ethernet, and you were able to install the update, perhaps your router is blocking access to the Rovi web site? The router can be used to block the DVR+ updates (several folks do that), but at the moment I can't recall if we know the address used for the Rovi guide data.

While the DVR+ is less useful when it only gets PSIP data, in the fact that you cannot search ahead for shows, the DVR+ will still record the shows you schedule. That said, the channels for those schedules must be accessed at least once per day for the PSIP data for that channel to update, and AVS Forum member @Greasemonkey developed a technique to do just that. So you'd have to decide whether it worth it or not.

As far as which is the best deal, that's subjective, depending upon one's likes and needs. If you like less clutter, don't intend to copy recordings to a computer, are satisfied with only 1TB, and don't mind the extra heat and having a mechanical device inside the box, then the DVR+ with the internal disk is for you, especially since you have Ethernet. On the other hand, if you don't mind the clutter of an external disk, would like to increase storage to +- 4GB, would like to archive recordings to a computer, can envision having a library of disks for whatever reason, would rather not have extra heat and mechanical devices in the box, then the 16GB model is for you, even though the WiFi dongle is a waste of money since you have Ethernet.

Edit: I forgot to mention that a USB EHD can be connected to the DVR+ that has an internal HDD, but only one storage device can be active at a time (either the internal HDD or the USB EHD). Also, the DVR+ does NOT provide a means to move recordings from the internal HDD to a USB EHD, or vice-versa.

Last edited by pachinko; 11-19-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added info on only one storage device can be active.
post #13189 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sling ff/rw

Speaking of remotes, has anyone else noticed that certain channels on Sling TV allow ff/rw scanning when using the app on the DVR+ but not on a Roku?
examples: TBS, USA
I wonder if this is because the app on the DVR+ is older and Sling is now making their product more restrictive than in the past. Or, is this just due to the lame minimalist Roku remote? (haven't tested Sling on the web or another device)
Anyway this might be a reason for some of you to stick with Sling on DVR+ even though it is slower and less stable than on other devices.
post #13190 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Being you're using Ethernet, and you were able to install the update, perhaps your router is blocking access to the Rovi web site? The router can be used to block the DVR+ updates (several folks do that), but at the moment I can't recall if we know the address used for the Rovi guide data..
It's roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com as noted here.

Assuming you're using Windows, do the following on your PC:
1. Click the Start button.
2. Click the white text-entry box that says "Search programs and files".
3. Enter "cmd", without the quotes, and press the Enter key.
4. Type "ping roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com" without the quotes.

You should get back the following, along with some other text:
Pinging roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com [67.148.153.155] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 67.148.153.155: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=246

If you get this back, then your router is not blocking the web site with the Rovi data. In which case we'll have to do some more digging.
pachinko likes this.
post #13191 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 01:53 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:

I had sent an email via their web page interface. I waited over a week without a reply. The correct address is:
[email protected]
They claim to respond within one day, and they did for me.
Unfortunately, they still have not resolved my guide problem.
post #13192 of 17469 Old 11-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
The first thing to notice is what the channel icons look like on your DVR+. If they are all the same generic looking black and white TV icons, then you're just getting the PSIP data that comes over the air with the broadcasts. That said, keep in mind that for a few minutes after entering a Zip Code, the icons will be the generic icon, but then they will change to colorful icons as Rovi data piles up. My guess is you're only getting PSIP data.
Hi Pachinko - Wow! What a great response. Thanks very much for checking out 97701. I did notice that when I type in that area code, all the channels initially start out as the b&w TV icons and then after a minute or so, most of the channels I care about (7.1 CBS, 21.1 NBC and 39.1 FOX) change to the colorful icons. And then 39.1 gives me data to Dec 3, but not the other channels. And 18.1 ABC remains as a b&w icon.

So, curious if 7.1 and 21.1 are ROVI since they changed to color. If so, any thoughts as to why they aren't getting more than <1 day of data? 39.1 seems to be the only one.

And since 18.1 ABC remains a b&w icon, does that mean that ROVI doesn't support that channel? Should I just stick with <1 day PSIP for that channel or anything else to try?

I did ping roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com as suggested by Arenal04 and I got the results below, which I believe means that my router is not blocking Rovi (which I assume would be the case since I did get one channel, 39.1, with a couple weeks of data).

Any thoughts on:

1) how to capture more that <1 day of data Rovi data on the channels that are changing to color icons; and
2) what I can do, if anything, with channel 18.1 ABC that is remaining b&w tv icon

Thanks very much to pachinko and Arenal04 for your terrific help!!!

Cheers, robliv

Reply from 67.148.153.155: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=245
Reply from 67.148.153.155: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 67.148.153.155:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 44ms
post #13193 of 17469 Old 11-20-2016, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Hi Pachinko - Wow! What a great response. Thanks very much for checking out 97701. I did notice that when I type in that area code, all the channels initially start out as the b&w TV icons and then after a minute or so, most of the channels I care about (7.1 CBS, 21.1 NBC and 39.1 FOX) change to the colorful icons. And then 39.1 gives me data to Dec 3, but not the other channels. And 18.1 ABC remains as a b&w icon.

So, curious if 7.1 and 21.1 are ROVI since they changed to color. If so, any thoughts as to why they aren't getting more than <1 day of data? 39.1 seems to be the only one.

And since 18.1 ABC remains a b&w icon, does that mean that ROVI doesn't support that channel? Should I just stick with <1 day PSIP for that channel or anything else to try?

I did ping roproxy-guide.echostarcdn.com as suggested by Arenal04 and I got the results below, which I believe means that my router is not blocking Rovi (which I assume would be the case since I did get one channel, 39.1, with a couple weeks of data).

Any thoughts on:

1) how to capture more that <1 day of data Rovi data on the channels that are changing to color icons; and
2) what I can do, if anything, with channel 18.1 ABC that is remaining b&w tv icon

Cheers, robliv
The ping command definitely worked, so your router is definitely reaching Rovi. Not to mention the fact that you're getting Rovi data for 39.1.

Back in May, a number of ZIP codes across the country were affected by bad Rovi data - but no all ZIP codes. It's starting to sound like you're running into a similar situation. First, have you tried ZIP codes from other cities that are near you? Such as Portland or Salem. Or even San Francisco. That might get you acceptable Rovi data until the problem is fixed.

Second, you'll need to contact ChannelMaster. This CM page discusses Rovi data problems, along with a "Submit a request" link. I'm no longer seeing an email address for CM support on their site, just a way to leave them a message. The address for support, last I knew, is [email protected]. You can also try contacting Rovi directly here. Rovi will respond with a canned message about you needing to contact CM since you're not a direct customer of theirs. But it doesn't hurt to try.
pachinko likes this.
post #13194 of 17469 Old 11-20-2016, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any thoughts on:

Cheers, robliv

Reply from 67.148.153.155: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=245

Ping statistics for 67.148.153.155:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 53ms, Average = 44ms
Sounds like it really should be working. Maybe the problem is that Rovi's idea of what channels you get is all wrong (except for channel 39). Rovi certainly has data for ABC. Do you know what TV market you're in?

Another thing to try is a full re-scan of your channels, just in case something is hosed up inside the DVR+ itself.
pachinko likes this.
post #13195 of 17469 Old 11-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Thank you for the great comments. I am in the Bend, Oregon market (97702) and seems like the same data for all Bend zips (97701,02,07,08,09), which is limited Rovi for expect 39 Fox which is 2 weeks and 18 ABC which is nothing (B&W tv icon, so PSIP).

I switched my zip to a neighboring city, Sisters 97759. Even though the TV stations are Bend based and Bend is bigger than Sisters, all the Rovi enable channels started getting correct data for 2 weeks. So that's very good! Still nothing more than <1 day for 18.1 ABC, but I can certainly live with that. If anyone has any ideas or tricks about how to get ROVI to start populating ABC, would love to hear them, but it's not a big improvement and I really appreciate everyone's comments here!

If I switch to a big city, like Portland, Oregon (3.5 hours away), wouldn't that screw up everything since my channels are central Oregon? Worth a try?

Thanks again!

Cheers, robliv
post #13196 of 17469 Old 11-20-2016, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the great comments. I am in the Bend, Oregon market (97702) and seems like the same data for all Bend zips (97701,02,07,08,09), which is limited Rovi for expect 39 Fox which is 2 weeks and 18 ABC which is nothing (B&W tv icon, so PSIP).

I switched my zip to a neighboring city, Sisters 97759. Even though the TV stations are Bend based and Bend is bigger than Sisters, all the Rovi enable channels started getting correct data for 2 weeks. So that's very good! Still nothing more than <1 day for 18.1 ABC, but I can certainly live with that. If anyone has any ideas or tricks about how to get ROVI to start populating ABC, would love to hear them, but it's not a big improvement and I really appreciate everyone's comments here!

If I switch to a big city, like Portland, Oregon (3.5 hours away), wouldn't that screw up everything since my channels are central Oregon? Worth a try?

Thanks again!

Cheers, robliv
If you've painfully tried all of the Zip Codes in your broadcast market, I don't have any recommendations other then those posted by Arenal04 and JHBrandt, and I agree that contacting CM is your only chance of getting virtual channel 18.1 ("real" channel 18) fixed.

Yes, the Zip Code MUST match the broadcast market you're in, or the guide data will likely not be for the OTA channels you receive. When I entered your Zip Code (which is very far away from my location) the data was all wrong for my virtual channels, but that didn't matter because I was only interested in how many days of data your Zip Code would give me.

I do not receive "real" channel number 18 (your virtual channel 18.1) in my area, so I can't verify what Rovi data I would get since only data for the "real" channels numbers (or frequencies) that I receive will appear.

FYI, "real" channel numbers and "virtual" channel numbers are very often different. For example, your channel 41.1 is "real" channel 14. You can see a list for your Zip Code at www.tvfool.com, although most of your "real" channels will have to be located by the broadcasters call sign as the list doesn't show many virtual channel numbers. I recommend printing that chart and writing your "virtual" channels on it. You may need the "real" channel number when discussing an issue on this forum or with CM.

Wish you luck with CM and Rovi!
post #13197 of 17469 Old 11-21-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks again!

Cheers, robliv
OK, I see what's going on. Bend has a mix of local stations and translators for Portland stations. Local stations include channel 7 (CBS), 11 (PBS), 21 (NBC) , 39 (Fox), and 51 (ABC). There are translators for Portland stations KATU/2 (ABC), KOIN/6 (CBS), KGW/8 (NBC), and KOPB/10 (PBS).

If you tried a Portland zip code, the Portland stations would keep working but your local stations would not. Since it looks like you're relying on your local stations and not the Portland ones, that would probably be a bad idea!

Looks like the problem with your ABC station is that you're seeing it on its RF channel number (18) instead of its display channel number (51). Not sure why that's happening, but Rovi probably has its listing on channel 51, not 18. You might try a manual scan: enter channel 18 and see if the DVR+ adds it to your lineup as channel 51. Otherwise you'll probably just get the short PSIP guide for ABC.
post #13198 of 17469 Old 11-21-2016, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Just saw a 15 second TV ad or spot for ChannelMaster.com on TV here in Phoenix. I was stunned. It was on an independent station.
pachinko likes this.
post #13199 of 17469 Old 11-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Odd phenomenon observed

I was watching TV a few minutes ago and saw something very odd. I was originally watching the local news, but switched to the Decades channel to refresh my memory as to what Buddy Ebsen looked like post-Beverly Hillbillies. As soon as the Info box at the bottom of the screen disappeared, I saw what had to be a station-generated line of text, randomly hopping around on the screen like a screen saver. On the left it had a white, TV shape like the "CC" box that indicates closed captioning. Inside that box were two connected, ascending "1/8 notes", possibly to indicate some kind of musical feature. To the right of that was the channel number (11.2), and several spaces to the right of that was the word "Decades", to indicate the network.

At this point it is odd, but not necessarily noteworthy. Just for laughs I pressed the Audio button in the lower right of the flat remote to see if closed captioning is causing this. Nothing came up on the screen. I then pressed the Info button, thinking my remote wasn't working, but the box popped up as it always does. Tried the Audio button again, and nothing. Then I tried the "CC" button on the flat remote. Nothing. After that I tried the Back button to get back to the previous channel, but nothing happened. However, when I pressed the actual number button for the previous channel it appeared at the top of the screen and then switched to that channel.

Being curious I broke out the remote for my TV (Samsung) and punched in 11.2 for the Decades channel. When it came up, the odd line of text was nowhere to be seen. I switched back and forth between closed captioning on the Samsung, but never saw the text line, even though when activated I was seeing the closed captioning. So I switched back to the DVR+ input, which had closed captioning off at this point, went to the news channel to turn CC on. After I saw it was working I went back to the Decades channel. Sure enough, as soon as the Info box at the bottom of the screen disappeared the text line was there, but CC was not. Again, the Audio, CC and Back buttons were not working.

I know the line of text has to be generated by the local TV station, because it displayed the channel number and therefore couldn't be the Decades network. But it's strange that it only showed up on the DVR+ signal and not the TV signal. And it's stranger still that the CC and Audio buttons were somehow disabled. And even more strange that the Back button was disabled while the number inputs for channels worked fine. So I suppose this is one more to add to the Twilight Zone that is the DVR+.
post #13200 of 17469 Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pardon me if this has been covered before but I just recently cut the cord and purchased a Channel Master DVR+ (1tb) and am learning a lot as a I plod along.

My questions is pretty simple.
Can I stream a signal from the DVR (Recorded or a live brodcast) to another TV via WiFi?

Let's keep the laughter to a minimum if possible.

I got some junk scattered around the house...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page