Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4247Likes

post #13201 of 16894 Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
Unfortunately when I go to properties Manufacturer, Model Number and Description are all unavailable. Oh well, it was only $13 shipped. I just hate to pay CM $40 for a $10 product.
anant I ordered: 300Mbps Realtek RTL8192CU Chipset 2T2R Mini WIFI USB Adapter/ Wireless Lan Card/ Wifi Dongle from Amazon for $12.00 and it works great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13202 of 16894 Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zimkas View Post
Pardon me if this has been covered before but I just recently cut the cord and purchased a Channel Master DVR+ (1tb) and am learning a lot as a I plod along.

My questions is pretty simple.
Can I stream a signal from the DVR (Recorded or a live brodcast) to another TV via WiFi?

Let's keep the laughter to a minimum if possible.
nope
post #13203 of 16894 Old 11-21-2016, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
nope
Well Poop!
Guess I'll scrap it all and start buying books.

Thanks P Smith for the prompt reply!

I got some junk scattered around the house...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13204 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zimkas View Post
Pardon me if this has been covered before but I just recently cut the cord and purchased a Channel Master DVR+ (1tb) and am learning a lot as a I plod along.

My questions is pretty simple.
Can I stream a signal from the DVR (Recorded or a live brodcast) to another TV via WiFi?

Let's keep the laughter to a minimum if possible.
Not as shipped, no. However, it is possible to MacGyver a way to do it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing your C coding! Do let us know of any changes.

I'm going to take this opportunity to refer folks back to your original post where you outlined your Whole Home solution using the BeagleBone board and other hardware.

Hopefully one day you'll produce a step by step guide, designed for "dummies" like me, for setting up the entire system.
post #13205 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I was watching TV a few minutes ago and saw something very odd. I was originally watching the local news, but switched to the Decades channel to refresh my memory as to what Buddy Ebsen looked like post-Beverly Hillbillies. As soon as the Info box at the bottom of the screen disappeared, I saw what had to be a station-generated line of text, randomly hopping around on the screen like a screen saver. On the left it had a white, TV shape like the "CC" box that indicates closed captioning. Inside that box were two connected, ascending "1/8 notes", possibly to indicate some kind of musical feature. To the right of that was the channel number (11.2), and several spaces to the right of that was the word "Decades", to indicate the network.

At this point it is odd, but not necessarily noteworthy. Just for laughs I pressed the Audio button in the lower right of the flat remote to see if closed captioning is causing this. Nothing came up on the screen. I then pressed the Info button, thinking my remote wasn't working, but the box popped up as it always does. Tried the Audio button again, and nothing. Then I tried the "CC" button on the flat remote. Nothing. After that I tried the Back button to get back to the previous channel, but nothing happened. However, when I pressed the actual number button for the previous channel it appeared at the top of the screen and then switched to that channel.

Being curious I broke out the remote for my TV (Samsung) and punched in 11.2 for the Decades channel. When it came up, the odd line of text was nowhere to be seen. I switched back and forth between closed captioning on the Samsung, but never saw the text line, even though when activated I was seeing the closed captioning. So I switched back to the DVR+ input, which had closed captioning off at this point, went to the news channel to turn CC on. After I saw it was working I went back to the Decades channel. Sure enough, as soon as the Info box at the bottom of the screen disappeared the text line was there, but CC was not. Again, the Audio, CC and Back buttons were not working.

I know the line of text has to be generated by the local TV station, because it displayed the channel number and therefore couldn't be the Decades network. But it's strange that it only showed up on the DVR+ signal and not the TV signal. And it's stranger still that the CC and Audio buttons were somehow disabled. And even more strange that the Back button was disabled while the number inputs for channels worked fine. So I suppose this is one more to add to the Twilight Zone that is the DVR+.
It sounds like there was something about the Decades broadcast that made the DVR+ think it was an audio-only channel (even though it obviously isn't). That would explain the "screen saver"-like info box (I bet the DVR+ generates this; on a true audio-only channel, it would be the only thing on the screen) as well as the audio and CC buttons (both do the same thing on 123R and later firmware) not working (there would be nothing for them to do on an audio-only channel). Strange it would disable the "Back" button, though
post #13206 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellaby1 View Post
anant I ordered: 300Mbps Realtek RTL8192CU Chipset 2T2R Mini WIFI USB Adapter/ Wireless Lan Card/ Wifi Dongle from Amazon for $12.00 and it works great.
Thanks for your post. I just ordered one, so I'll see how it works. Also great for me, since seller is not Amazon, no tax for me...I'm pretty sure Amazon taxes me because they have a hub in Florida.
post #13207 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
Thanks for your post. I just ordered one, so I'll see how it works. Also great for me, since seller is not Amazon, no tax for me...I'm pretty sure Amazon taxes me because they have a hub in Florida.
Be aware you may save $1 in tax, but you have to pay $5 shipping - for a $12.00, 0.3oz product.
post #13208 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 03:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Be aware you may save $1 in tax, but you have to pay $5 shipping - for a $12.00, 0.3oz product.
That's true but it's a lot better than paying CM $40.
post #13209 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No question about that! I just didn't want folks to be blind-sided, hunting down the product at Amazon expecting to pay $12 flat since there's no tax (in most states), then finding out it's really $17; I know I hate it when that happens
post #13210 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
It sounds like there was something about the Decades broadcast that made the DVR+ think it was an audio-only channel (even though it obviously isn't). That would explain the "screen saver"-like info box (I bet the DVR+ generates this; on a true audio-only channel, it would be the only thing on the screen) as well as the audio and CC buttons (both do the same thing on 123R and later firmware) not working (there would be nothing for them to do on an audio-only channel). Strange it would disable the "Back" button, though
I never considered the possibility of an audio-only channel. I've seen them on satellite receivers. Are there any examples of the DVR+ receiving any of them in the past? It's also strange that only the DVR+ was affected, and not the TV.
post #13211 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

CM just took a chainsaw to CMTV

GONE:

• 341 VevoTV - Hits
  • 342 VevoTV Flow
  • 343 VevoTV - Nashville
  • 399 DRTV
  • 800 Holyfield TV
  • 801 Eye on Media
  • 802 The Dream Network
  • 803 Movee 4 U
  • 804 Spydar TV

Especially sad to see VevoTV go, but not totally unexpected.
Maybe one or two of the 800-series channels will return later under new numbers, since they were all "beta" channels.
post #13212 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I never considered the possibility of an audio-only channel. I've seen them on satellite receivers. Are there any examples of the DVR+ receiving any of them in the past? It's also strange that only the DVR+ was affected, and not the TV.
To be clear, Decades is (obviously) NOT an audio-only channel. But there must have been something that made the DVR+ think it was.

Audio-only ATSC channels are allowed, but I've rarely seen them. KMPX/29 is owned by Liberman Broadcasting, which also owns several Spanish-language radio stations in DFW. So at one time they added all their radio stations to channel 29 (as 29.10, 29.11, etc.) They didn't leave them there for long, though; must have caused their TV viewers too much confusion. All this was before the DVR+ existed.

KSTR/49 seems to have an audio-only channel, but there's nothing in the PSIP channel map for it, so the DVR+ doesn't find it. (My HomeWorXes find it at 48-5, since KSTR/49 broadcasts on RF channel 48.)
post #13213 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not as shipped, no. However, it is possible to MacGyver a way to do it:
Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

post #13214 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

And for my next headache....
Originally connected the DVR+ plus to 1080P flatscreen, picture and sound worked fine, as expected.

Moved the DVR to my HT and connected it to my Amnthem AVM 20, no HDMI inputs but it's an awesome preamp.
Purchased an HDMI to Component Video adapter, all's well as far as the picture is concerned.

No audio via the optical output, using a new toslink to mini-toslink cable.

Input on the receiver is set to AUTO, so it should see the signal. Also tried setting it to DIG, still no luv!

Went through the on-screen guide for the DVR+ and made sure the optical output was set to multichannel....still nothing.

What am I missing here folks?

post #13215 of 16894 Old 11-22-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 551
post #13216 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This one looks the same, but the "Notes" say "This is not 3.5mm audio cable."!
Thinking of putting DD 5.1 sound in?

"3.5mm" refers to the size of the audio jack used on a lot of audio equipment. (There's also a 2.5mm audio jack, but that's less common.) It's an electrical, not optical, jack used for analog (mono or stereo) audio. I'm sure that's what the "Notes" are referring to, so someone doesn't buy that optical cable to plug into their iPhone!
post #13217 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Frankly, I don't like Amazon for a number of reasons, especially their business model (over priced prime and high requirement for free shipping without prime)

However, in this case total price shipped through Amazon was $16.38. Total price shipped from Newegg was $17.99... $15.99 for adapter, $1.99 shipping.
post #13218 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thinking of putting DD 5.1 sound in?

"3.5mm" refers to the size of the audio jack used on a lot of audio equipment. (There's also a 2.5mm audio jack, but that's less common.) It's an electrical, not optical, jack used for analog (mono or stereo) audio. I'm sure that's what the "Notes" are referring to, so someone doesn't buy that optical cable to plug into their iPhone!
No, I'm not thinking about putting in any sound equipment. Surprisingly the TV has pretty good audio as it is, and the only time I pipe audio into something better (a stereo system) is for some movies where fantastic audio is really required. What got me looking was the post by Frank Zimkas (sorry, not suggestions), which made me look through the DVR+ Lister Q&A help file to see if I could find anything there that might help, but found nothing except a link to a Fiber Optic Toslink to 3.5mm Mini Adapter. So I checked that the link was still active and on that page there were various optical audio cables. Since some of those cables looked like they would eliminate the need of the adapter (if buying a new cable), I wanted to mention them in the DVR+ Lister Q&A.

The cable that says it's not a 3.5mm audio cable is titled "Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable", and the description says it's "optical" as well. Maybe the "Notes" are wrong? Even the pictures show a hole in the connectors.
post #13219 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, OK. I don't think the notes are "wrong," just confusing. Turns out the Mini Toslink (optical) plug is the same size as a standard mini (electrical) audio plug: 3.5mm.

I really think the note:
Quote:
**This is not 3.5mm audio cable. Not compatible with phones or tablets
was just trying to warn folks that this wasn't an electrical audio cable, in case they didn't understand what "Optical" meant; but for some reason, they chose to focus on the plug size, perhaps not realizing both plugs were the same size! Reason I think so is this pic:

You can see that both connectors are the same size, yet clearly different.

Bottom line: this probably is compatible with the DVR+, but it'll cost you (or someone) $8 plus shipping to find out for sure.
pachinko likes this.
post #13220 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Just this one thread for everything related to the CM DVR+?? Hmmm. This will be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Am I missing a quick easy way to navigate this thread? Thanks.

Specifically I'm looking for the latest and greatest on Ext2fsd and DVR+ Lister. I'm talking about stuff like tutorials, safe download links, safe links to obtain manuals, the most up-to-date versions, etc. etc. And, of course, if there's now additional software out there that is just as good as, or supercedes, Ext2fsd and/or DVR+ Lister, I'd love to read about that as well. Thanks!!

Just to set the stage, I just ordered my DVR+, and UPS is now saying I'll be getting it on Saturday.

I've already gotten all the additional hardware I believe I'll need, like the antenna (I got an RCA ANTB25), an HDMI switch for the one HDMI input on my Vizio TV (I got an Iogear 4-port switch, since I also have two computers feeding through HDMI between which I switch back and forth so I can watch on the medium-size HD Vizio; I plan to connect the DVR+ to one of the two unused HDMI ports of the Iogear) and the only USB external hard drive I could find in NYC that is listed on Channel Master's recommended list (the Seagate 1tb STDR1000100). So now I'm just sitting here, waiting impatiently. (By the way, I've temporarily attached the antenna to my Vizio for now and am getting superb reception of 65 channels, including channels from all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, Telemundo and Univision), so, for now, things look very promising.) I also got an additional power strip since I don't have the room on my existing power strips to accommodate the DVR+'s huge AC plug. So I hope I'm all set, but eagerly look forward to reading any advice or suggestions any of you may have.

As for the Internet, I've got an Ethernet cable plugged into my wireless Netgear router, and I'm hoping that will do the trick for the DVR+. I hope I've thought of everything, but perhaps one of you will spot something I've missed. I see no reason to pay for a Wi-Fi dongle if the Ethernet cable works properly for me. All the gear is together in one place so, aside from the cable clutter, I see no reason to go wireless. I have a small apartment and only one TV.

Last edited by criggs; 11-23-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Two additional questions
post #13221 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
Just this one thread for everything related to the CM DVR+?? Hmmm. This will be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Am I missing a quick easy way to navigate this thread? Thanks.
Yeah, it's daunting, especially if you haven't been here since the beginning. This is the major thread, but there are others listed below. The only way to navigate this thread is page by page and searches. Definitely include the version number of the DVR+ software when asking questions. The latest version is 134R.

1: The unOfficial AVS Channel Master DVR+ DVR Topic!. Hopefully, one day, will be the condensed version of this thread, but it's still very much incomplete.

2: DVR+ Lister for Channel Master DVR+, which you need if you plan on copying recordings from the DVR+ to a computer. That said, there is a help file that comes with the download that has info on lots of DVR+ stuff, much of which came from contributions to this thread. A portion of the Q&A on the DVR+, from that help file, can be downloaded separately in HTML format HERE.

3: Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA, but it's not very active.

4: Channel Master DVR+ Universal Remote? which is limited and not active.
post #13222 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, it's daunting, especially if you haven't been here since the beginning. This is the major thread, but there are others listed below. The only way to navigate this thread is page by page and searches. Definitely include the version number of the DVR+ software when asking questions. The latest version is 134R.
Thank you so much for responding, and so quickly too!

As you can see, I've considerably revised and extended my previous message so, if you're interested, please refresh your browser and let me know what you think.

Quote:
2: DVR+ Lister for Channel Master DVR+, which you need if you plan on copying recordings from the DVR+ to a computer. That said, there is a help file that comes with the download that has info on lots of DVR+ stuff, much of which came from contributions to this thread. A portion of the Q&A on the DVR+, from that help file, can be downloaded separately in HTML format HERE.
That's easily the most critical portion of your reply to me, so I'll be checking all of that out right now. Thanks again!
post #13223 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Specifically I'm looking for the latest and greatest on Ext2fsd and DVR+ Lister. I'm talking about stuff like tutorials, safe download links, safe links to obtain manuals, the most up-to-date versions, etc. etc. And, of course, if there's now additional software out there that is just as good as, or supercedes, Ext2fsd and/or DVR+ Lister, I'd love to read about that as well. Thanks!!

Just to set the stage, I just ordered my DVR+, and UPS is now saying I'll be getting it on Saturday.

I've already gotten all the additional hardware I believe I'll need, like the antenna (I got an RCA ANTB25), an HDMI switch for the one HDMI input on my Vizio TV (I got an Iogear 4-port switch, since I also have two computers feeding through HDMI between which I switch back and forth so I can watch on the medium-size HD Vizio; I plan to connect the DVR+ to one of the two unused HDMI ports of the Iogear) and the only USB external hard drive I could find in NYC that is listed on Channel Master's recommended list (the Seagate 1tb STDR1000100). So now I'm just sitting here, waiting impatiently. (By the way, I've temporarily attached the antenna to my Vizio for now and am getting superb reception of 65 channels, including channels from all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox, Telemundo and Univision), so, for now, things look very promising.) I also got an additional power strip since I don't have the room on my existing power strips to accommodate the DVR+'s huge AC plug. So I hope I'm all set, but eagerly look forward to reading any advice or suggestions any of you may have.

As for the Internet, I've got an Ethernet cable plugged into my wireless Netgear router, and I'm hoping that will do the trick for the DVR+. I hope I've thought of everything, but perhaps one of you will spot something I've missed. I see no reason to pay for a Wi-Fi dongle if the Ethernet cable works properly for me. All the gear is together in one place so, aside from the cable clutter, I see no reason to go wireless. I have a small apartment and only one TV.
The only place to get Ext2Fsd is from http://www.ext2fsd.com/, at least that's the only place I would get it from. I'm still running version 0.64 as I had problems with later versions, which might be Windows 10 issues. I've never seen a manual or help file for Ext2Fsd, but there is a FAQ that comes with it. Best bet for info is on YouTube. One alternative is Paragon ExtFS, but it's no longer freeware, now it's a 10 day trialware before crippling the speed. Earlier freeware version 2.1.440 crashes Windows 10. Another alternative is DiskInternals Linux Reader, but it does NOT assign drive letters, which makes it useless for DVR+ Lister. In my opinion, Ext2Fsd, which can be confusing getting it to always automatically assign drive letters, is the best bet.

As far as I know, the only program that assist in copying recordings from the DVR+ to a computer is DVR+ Lister. You don't actually need DVR+ Lister as the recording files can be copied using any file manager, but you'll have lots of fun trying to find the recording(s) that you want, because of the file naming system.

The only places I make DVR+ Lister available for download is in posts by me on AVS Forum. If it's associated with any AVS Forum member other than pachinko, it might not be untouched. There are two types of downloads, spanned zip files as attachments to the AVS Forum post, and a single zip file on a file hoster web site. The spanned zip files are because of the attachment file size limit of AVS Forum. The only safe download link from the external file host is only in the post I've made for the particular DVR+ Lister version. If you download it from anywhere else, other than a very good friend, no telling what you might get. I haven't seen a report from anyone downloading a copy containing a virus, although there have been a few False Positives because of the nature of A/V programs, which usually go away once they truly test the program.

DVR+ Lister comes with a CHM help file, and also all of the source HTML files that made the CHM. You do not have to run DVR+ Lister to open either the CHM, of the HTML files. The help file has a page about installing DVR+ Lister, and a Quick Start page that walks through the procedure for copying recordings to a computer. It also has a Q&A page where you will likely find many of the things you are looking for about DVR+, with a lot less clutter.

Unless your Ethernet cable is defective, that's definitely the way to go, with absolutely no need for a WiFi dongle. WiFi works perfectly for most people (me included) for day to day operation (meaning getting the daily Rovi Guide update), but not always good when an DVR+ update is available.

Hope you enjoy your new toy!
post #13224 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The only place to get Ext2Fsd is from http://www.ext2fsd.com/,...version 0.64 as I had problems with later versions...Ext2Fsd...is the best bet...the only program that assist in copying recordings from the DVR+ to a computer is DVR+ Lister...The only safe download link from the external file host is only in the post I've made for the particular DVR+ Lister version...DVR+ Lister comes with a CHM help file, and also all of the source HTML files that made the CHM...The help file has a page about installing DVR+ Lister, and a Quick Start page that walks through the procedure for copying recordings to a computer. It also has a Q&A page...Unless your Ethernet cable is defective, that's definitely the way to go...
Wow! I think you've just about covered everything! Thank you so much. I'm going to leave my browser parked on this reply of yours all day Saturday as I go through the procedure of ripping my first DVR+ test recordings. I'll be really curious about the video codec, the audio codec, the playback speed for the video, the playback speed for the audio, whether the resolution changes from station to station depending on the source material, whether the material has format-friendly codecs that can be re-contained in XMedia Recode into other file formats, like mp4, flv, etc. etc. (This will come in real handy when I'm having political arguments, and I'll be able to provide specific quotes in my emails, while referencing specific video snippets that I'll attach or post!)

Quote:
Hope you enjoy your new toy!
Very much looking forward to it, yes! Now I just have to figure out how to off-load for permanent safe-keeping some of the items on my soon-to-be-surrendered Verizon FIOS box. You wouldn't know a way of physically copying HD files like those, I suppose!
post #13225 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 10:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow! I think you've just about covered everything! Thank you so much. I'm going to leave my browser parked on this reply of yours all day Saturday as I go through the procedure of ripping my first DVR+ test recordings. I'll be really curious about the video codec, the audio codec, the playback speed for the video, the playback speed for the audio, whether the resolution changes from station to station depending on the source material, whether the material has format-friendly codecs that can be re-contained in XMedia Recode into other file formats, like mp4, flv, etc. etc. (This will come in real handy when I'm having political arguments, and I'll be able to provide specific quotes in my emails, while referencing specific video snippets that I'll attach or post!)
If you have time while waiting for your toy, look at post 1 for DVR+ Lister, and you'll find a YouTube video of an earlier DVR+ Lister that introduces the program and does a step by step on how to copy recordings. The copying process is much the same in later versions.

All DVR+ recordings are in TS files, which aren't quite standard. Some video players and editors don't seem to mind, but if they do, usually running them through ffmpeg, which DVR+ Lister will optionally do for you when copying the recording, will allow them to play well together. However, for unknown reasons, some recordings just refuse to play on a computer, even though they play well on the DVR+.

Below the video in DVR+ Lister post 1, there's a download link for a zip file containing some sample DVR+ data and recording files for those wanting to play with DVR+ Lister without actually having to connect their DVR+ USB EHD to the computer. The files can be placed in any 2 writable folders on a computer (one for the data files, and one for the TS file), and DVR+ Lister can use them as if they were on a USB EHD. Play with them all you want without worry of harming valuable recordings! You could even try playing the TS files in your players and editors without using DVR+ Lister.

Quote:
Very much looking forward to it, yes! Now I just have to figure out how to off-load for permanent safe-keeping some of the items on my soon-to-be-surrendered Verizon FIOS box. You wouldn't know a way of physically copying HD files like those, I suppose!
Sorry, I have no experience with this, but I suppose there's something on this somewhere in AVS Forum?
post #13226 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, OK. I don't think the notes are "wrong," just confusing. Turns out the Mini Toslink (optical) plug is the same size as a standard mini (electrical) audio plug: 3.5mm.

I really think the note:was just trying to warn folks that this wasn't an electrical audio cable, in case they didn't understand what "Optical" meant; but for some reason, they chose to focus on the plug size, perhaps not realizing both plugs were the same size! Reason I think so is this pic:

You can see that both connectors are the same size, yet clearly different.

Bottom line: this probably is compatible with the DVR+, but it'll cost you (or someone) $8 plus shipping to find out for sure.
Just want to share my experience with such cables and connectors, the type was design for combo jacks: with typical electric contacts and optical r/t at its end for audio equipment to reduce number of parts; usually such combo used for USB audio device high-end class.
post #13227 of 16894 Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Below the video in DVR+ Lister post 1, there's a download link for a zip file containing some sample DVR+ data and recording files for those wanting to play with DVR+ Lister without actually having to connect their DVR+ USB EHD to the computer. The files can be placed in any 2 writable folders on a computer (one for the data files, and one for the TS file)...You could even try playing the TS files in your players and editors
Now that was fascinating!

First of all, when I started the download, all hell broke loose; the Firefox browser started screaming at me at the top of its lungs that there was DEFINITELY malware and a virus in the download. I gather this is par for the course with many folks who download from Tiny Upload. So I decided it was a false alarm and I proceeded.

After I downloaded the files, but before I extracted them, I ran the zip files through Norton, which assured me all was well.

I then extracted the files. I then ran the extracted files through Norton; still all well.

So I then tried to play the files. Without exception, none would play in VLC. I then tried my GOM Player. All files played back fine.

I then re-contained them into new mp4 files with XMedia Recode, without reprocessing or trans-coding them at all, keeping them first-generation.

All the MP4 files played fine in VLC.

I was astounded at the resolutions and frame rates. Virtually every single file was different. There were even a few in there with a European frame rate of 24 frames a second. There was even one with a non-standard frame rate in there which I'd NEVER heard of, 27 fps. In addition, there was a Full 1920 x 1080 HD file that ran at 59.94 fps, which is one of the American standards for that resolution, as well as a Standard 1280 x 720 HD file that ran at 29.97 fps, another American standard.

Most of the files were either SD 704 x 480 or SD 720 x 480. There was even one file in there that was 640 x 480.

I'm really surprised that there are so many broadcast stations out there with non-standard resolutions and frame rates. Things have really turned into quite a jungle in the OTA world, even while most of us for decades have been watching through cable TV. Quite eye-opening. The last time I was watching OTA TV regularly, back in the 80s, everything was 720 x 487, 29.97 frames a second. Quite a change while everyone was inside their cable TV bubbles!

The good news is that there appears to be no problem at all configuring these files to work for standard computer players. Re-containing seems to do the trick. And even without re-containing, it looks like certain players, e.g. GOM, can handle the files fine with no massaging or manipulation at all.

Editing-wise, it will be a little tricky. While the audio codec is a standard one, AAC, the video codec is not. The standard video codec is H.264, but these files use the mpeg 1/2 video codec instead. This makes them a little difficult to edit. One has to reprocess/trans-code them to a more standard format, like h.264, if one wishes to edit them, which means taking them down a generation. That's a little disappointing. I wonder whether that's the raw format the broadcast stations use which the DVR+ is merely recording unchanged, or whether that's the codec that the DVR+ is using as a conversion codec before recording. If that is the codec that the DVR+ is arbitrarily using, I wonder if there's a way to change the codec being used by the DVR+. Or whether there's a way to make the DVR+ record the source OTA material without converting it at all (assuming the mpeg2 codec is not the codec being used by the station itself).

I uploaded one of them to Youtube, just to make sure there would be no problem, and there wasn't; I subsequently deleted it.

Hmmm. I hear tell that there is one video editor with smart rendering (meaning it will not re-process/trans-code the original video other than the first few frames and the last few frames of a clip) for the mpeg-2 codec, and that is Schnitt. Looks like I'll have to grab and learn one more piece of software before I'll be one hundred percent ready. My current smart render editor can only handle H.264 (Total Recorder).

Well, this has certainly saved me a LOT of time. Much of the testing and research I needed to do Saturday has now been done. Thanks again a whole bunch, VERY much.
pachinko likes this.
post #13228 of 16894 Old 11-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
these files use the mpeg 1/2 video codec instead. This makes them a little difficult to edit. One has to reprocess/trans-code them to a more standard format, like h.264, if one wishes to edit them, which means taking them down a generation. That's a little disappointing...I hear tell that there is one video editor with smart rendering (meaning it will not re-process/trans-code the original video other than the first few frames and the last few frames of a clip) for the mpeg-2 codec, and that is Schnitt. Looks like I'll have to grab and learn one more piece of software before I'll be one hundred percent ready. My current smart render editor can only handle H.264 (Total Recorder).
Well, I just did a lot of reading and studying through google on Smart Render editors (editors which leave the original video intact except for cut points where the edit software has to re-encode video in order to create new I-frames). There seems to be a widespread consensus that the best Smart Render editor is TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5. Apparently this software can handle all the codecs, h.264, mpeg 1/2 (which is the codec the DVR+ uses), even the very new h.265. It costs $70.

Let's see, I've already spend $380 to cut the cord. My monthly costs are going to be cut by $35 monthly if this works out, which means that cutting the cord will start to pay off for me in eleven months (35 goes into 380 about eleven times). If I decide to get SR 5 as part of my cord-cutting tools, that means this whole deal won't start paying off for me for thirteen months instead of eleven months. Not really a deal-breaker, I guess, but I'm not yet completely persuaded that I'll be needing this capability. After all, XMedia Recode can also do Smart Rendering of a sort if I pick a portion of a file to re-contain without re-processing/trans-coding. If all I'm doing is lifting a portion out of an original file for posting or email or whatever, then XMedia Recode will address my needs, though it isn't always frame-accurate.

Well, regardless, it's nice to know SR 5 is out there, in case I decide I need it.
pachinko likes this.
post #13229 of 16894 Old 11-24-2016, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

criggs,
well, if you want dig into ATSC standards, try first one A/53; that would be your base of knowledge before complain about compression [H.262], FPS,resolution, OAR, progressive/interlaced, etc
so far best SW to process/edit TS files is VideoReDo
MPEG-4 eg H.264 never been allowed ATSC - if you want it or newest H.265, wait for settle and implementation of ATSC 3.0

Last edited by P Smith; 11-24-2016 at 03:09 AM.
post #13230 of 16894 Old 11-24-2016, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now that was fascinating!

First of all, when I started the download, all hell broke loose; the Firefox browser started screaming at me at the top of its lungs that there was DEFINITELY malware and a virus in the download. I gather this is par for the course with many folks who download from Tiny Upload. So I decided it was a false alarm and I proceeded.

After I downloaded the files, but before I extracted them, I ran the zip files through Norton, which assured me all was well.
Yeah, antivirus programs are notorious for throwing false positives, especially on programs without costly digital signatures. Google provides the free service VirusTool, which will examine Programs, and Web Sites for you, regardless of what your A/V program says, using many antivirus providers. See what it has to say about DVR+Lister, downloads from any web site, or about download hosts like TinyUpload. On October 7, 2016, VirusTool reported no issues with TinyUpload.com, even though in the past some folks have reported that their antivirus flagged that site as containing potentially dangerous content. Sure, since it that site hosts downloads from anyone for free, there surely will be some bad apples. For DVR+Explorer (the not yet released successor of DVR+ Lister), on October 7, 2016, VirusTool showed 10 antivirus programs (that I never heard of) flagging it with various types of infections, but 45 gave it a clean bill of health. Go figure, or blame it on “heuristics”!
artisticimaging likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page