Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4436Likes

post #13471 of 17292 Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
a blog...suggested I misuse the splitter, feed both antennas to the two outputs and then feed the input to the DVR+...I can now pick up a much larger complement of stations at the same time. In fact, I can now receive all five stations from which I regularly record.
Turns out that ain't the half of it.

I have 23 main channels listed, with a total of 83 channels including all the sub-channels.

Right now I can watch a total of 16 main stations, including 50 sub-channels.

There are a total of 7 main channels, including 33 sub-channels, which I cannot watch with my current antenna configuration. As far as I know, I can bring them all in if I fiddle with that configuration, though who knows how many stations I would lose as a result.

The bottom line is that before I could only receive about ten stations reliably at a time and that INCLUDED the sub-channels, meaning I would say at any one time I was only capable of receiving a total of four main channels well at the same time. That figure has now gone up to 16/50, a very serious increase in capability.

Like I said before, hmmm. Hard to believe it was that easy; and something tells me things are not going to stay like this, but one can hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13472 of 17292 Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
You and others may complain about the DVR+ tuners but I am on the other side of the issue. I live in a problematic reception area.

I own 3 DVR+ and have combined them with both Sharp and Samsung TVs and I have found the DVR+ tuners to be as good. I receive as many channels with the DVR+ with no channels lost from what the TV Tuners are getting. I may be in the minority but find it odd listening to all the complaints that I don't see as universally true from my experience.
This is my experience with my single DVR. I don't get any worse reception direct from antenna into the TV than I do through the DVR+, and I live 65 miles away from the broadcast towers, with several channels that are "2 edge" signals. That's on two Samsung TVs that I have.
post #13473 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
I have the Mohu Leaf Antenna 30 mile version. At first, I had an RCA omnidirectional, and that worked fine with my Vizio TV. Then, when I got the DVR+, I made the unpleasant discovery that what worked fine with the Vizio was not working fine at all with the DVR+. I did some research and settled on the Mohu Leaf as an apparently improved and updated version of the RCA omnidirectional concept.

Sure enough, the Mohu was a dramatic improvement on the RCA with the DVR+. My reception went from about a D-, on average, to about a C on average, still unacceptable but still an improvement.

Are you saying I should be looking for a completely different kind of indoor antenna? What kind?

To perhaps help you give me that advice, here is my profile from TV Fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf692be0fa15 .
Good reception begins with the antenna. You want to pull in as much signal as possible. If signal is marginal, you want to amplify as close to the antenna as possible. If you feed a lot of televisions, you can amplify again at the splitter.

I don't have a lot of experience with a situation like yours or the Leaf but I would expect you to get great reception with the Leaf. It's a vhf/uhf antenna with range that exceeds your needs. The first thing I would do is get a 100' run of professionally terminated coax, plug it into the television and the antenna and walk around to see if you can find a better location for the antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13474 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The first thing I would do is get a 100' run of professionally terminated coax, plug it into the television and the antenna and walk around to see if you can find a better location for the antenna.
Unfortunately that's not practical in my case. I live in a one-bedroom apartment on the 27th floor facing East. Walking around the exterior of my apartment would only be possible with a jet-pack, and that's the kind of expense I'm trying to avoid, and 100' of professionally terminated coax in my apt. would simply mean I would have to eat and sleep in the hallway....
post #13475 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2939 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
You and others may complain about the DVR+ tuners but I am on the other side of the issue. I live in a problematic reception area.

I own 3 DVR+ and have combined them with both Sharp and Samsung TVs and I have found the DVR+ tuners to be as good. I receive as many channels with the DVR+ with no channels lost from what the TV Tuners are getting. I may be in the minority but find it odd listening to all the complaints that I don't see as universally true from my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
It probably is not universally true. It may depend on area, proximity to towers, trees, antennas (some may work with some DVRs or TVs better than others), atmospheric conditions, etc., etc...
All one can do until they actually "test drive" these machines is gather as much info as possible. Truly, YMMV.
It does. Criggs's environment is particularly bad for the DVR+ tuners, since they're a bit older than most TV tuner chips (so I'm guessing they probably lack some newer, more sophisticated multipath compensation algorithms that his TV has). But in other environments such as mine, the DVR+ tuners work fine! In fact my DVR+ often gets the best reception in the house.

It's too bad the DVR+ doesn't work well for criggs and others in similar, multipath-ridden environments, and if he tries T??o and finds it works better, I'd completely understand if he switched. But it's not a matter of some general "weakness" on the part of the DVR+ tuner chips; just a specific impairment that they don't handle so well.
post #13476 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BTW, get the iVIEW 3100STB Digital Converter Box with Recording, Media Playback and Universal Remote for $20 at Walmart free pickup. I'm going to get one just because ... my wife is not looking over my shoulder.
BTW, the 3100STB is not the same as iView's other converter boxes, or the CM-7003, HomeWorX, etc. It's a different SoC with different firmware. (I think the remote is the same as the 3200STB remote though.)

It does have a recording function similar to those boxes. The big knock on it, though, was that it couldn't schedule weekly recordings, only one-time or daily recordings.

I only know one person who's reviewed it (he wasn't impressed). If you get one and decide to keep it, you might want to start a new thread about it here on AVSForum. I'm sure there are other folks who'd be interested in how it compares to the more common converter boxes I mentioned.
post #13477 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At this point, here's what I'm looking for, and it may not even exist: An outboard tuner that can pick up HD channels well, provided one has a decent antenna (which I do, judging by my Vizio TV's performance), and then spits it out on an RF channel selected by the user.

Is there such a beast that anyone knows of?
Interestingly, I've thought of the same thing, albeit for a different purpose. We had a poster in Wisconsin ask if the DVR+ could map two different channels that happened to be on the same RF frequency (but received with two different antennas). Never got an answer AFAIK, but even if it won't, the frequency-shifter you propose would be perfect for such a situation. He could just push one of the stations down to RF 3 or 4 (which is probably vacant) and combine it with the antenna feed with the other station with a Hi-Lo splitter/combiner. Ta da!

I've never seen such a product though, and I think I know why. The RF oscillator you'd need would have to have extremely low phase jitter, or it would distort the input signal too much for a typical ATSC tuner to decode it. That would make it rather expensive, and since there's not much demand, no one sees a profit in making such a thing.
post #13478 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But who knows? If we've misdiagnosed it, if my Eastern exposure is actually impeding reception from the North, South and West, perhaps my problem is not too much power but too little power.
There's an easy way to tell. On your DVR+, press Menu and go to Settings / Channel Setup / Antenna Channels / Manual Scan. Enter the RF channel number of a troublesome station, and you'll see both its signal level and signal quality, but what you're interested in here is just the signal level. Check several stations this way.

If the signal levels are all 100 or close, you have enough signal and don't need a preamp. But if the signal levels are all down around 50 or less, then a preamp could help.

Most likely, the levels are all good, but the quality is either poor or varying rapidly and dramatically. But you won't know until you try it.
post #13479 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was looking around and googling, to see if folks might have an interesting idea which I hadn't yet heard about it.

And there was a blog I found on Solid Signal at http://blog.solidsignal.com/content....-I-do-about-it which suggested I misuse the splitter, feed both antennas to the two outputs and then feed the input to the DVR+, -- in other words, reverse the direction in which the splitter was intended to work (second paragraph from the end).

Not having anything to lose, I tried it.

And I got about a 70 to 80% improvement!
I've heard of this trick before, although it works best if two identical antennas are used. It was easier to pull off back when there were still some analog TV stations around, because multipath reflections show up as visible "ghosts" on analog stations. The trick was to move the antennas around to eliminate the worst ghosts: http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/silver.html#TAT

I was going to suggest it, but only as a last resort. If you read the link, you can see what you're doing is some pretty complex stuff.
post #13480 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Unfortunately that's not practical in my case. I live in a one-bedroom apartment on the 27th floor facing East. Walking around the exterior of my apartment would only be possible with a jet-pack, and that's the kind of expense I'm trying to avoid, and 100' of professionally terminated coax in my apt. would simply mean I would have to eat and sleep in the hallway....
You're just goofing on me, right? It would have been a good idea to mention the fact that your antenna was in a building with an east facing window when you posted your TVFool report. Chances are your building and everything in the surrounding apartments is the biggest factor in your reception.
post #13481 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
There's an easy way to tell. On your DVR+, press Menu and go to Settings / Channel Setup / Antenna Channels / Manual Scan. Enter the RF channel number of a troublesome station, and you'll see both its signal level and signal quality, but what you're interested in here is just the signal level...If the signal levels are all 100 or close, you have enough signal and don't need a preamp. But if the signal levels are all down around 50 or less, then a preamp could help. Most likely, the levels are all good, but the quality is either poor or varying rapidly and dramatically.
All of my signal levels are consistently at 100, even the one that gives me the biggest trouble, WNYE-DT, where I frequently get a signal strength of 100 and a signal quality of zero. It blows my mind that a signal strength of 100 can have a signal quality of zero. That's the sort of stuff that led me to think maybe I need a 50-mile version of the Mohu Leaf rather than a 30-mile version.

As a matter of fact, I literally had my hat and coat on, and was on my way out the door to get the 50-mile version, when my email pinged notifying me someone had posted a response to my last message here. After reading your message, which seems quite unequivocal, I get the idea that a signal strength of 100 means that getting a more powerful antenna, with a 50-mile radius rather than a 30-mile radius, whether I turn on the amplifier the Mohu 50 has or not, will simply not make any difference, is that right?
post #13482 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've heard of this trick before, although it works best if two identical antennas are used...I was going to suggest it, but only as a last resort. If you read the link, you can see what you're doing is some pretty complex stuff.
And it's also unreliable. Last night, when I went to sleep, all five of the stations from which I regularly record were coming in strong. I had two movies programmed to record on the overnight, and both recordings were quite successful.

Then, this afternoon, that very station that I recorded those movies from, CUNY, went South. After over an hour of fiddling, I established to my satisfaction that there was no way I was going to be able to get all five stations good again, for whatever reason. I settled for three and a half, three being perfect and one having a signal strength of 100 and a signal quality of around 50.

You say this trick works best with two identical antennas. So I guess, instead of getting the 50-mile version of the Mohu, I may get a second Mohu 30 tonight; hmmm.
post #13483 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're just goofing on me, right?
Uh, yeah!

Quote:
It would have been a good idea to mention the fact that your antenna was in a building with an east facing window when you posted your TVFool report.
Actually I thought I had, but I realize this is an absolutely huge thread, and no one, least of all me, has the time to read through it all. I should perhaps get in the habit of mentioning that every time I post my TV Fool link, even if some may find it repetitive.

Quote:
Chances are your building and everything in the surrounding apartments is the biggest factor in your reception.
More and more, I'm leaning toward getting a second Mohu 30 and seeing what that gets me.
post #13484 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You're just goofing on me, right? It would have been a good idea to mention the fact that your antenna was in a building with an east facing window when you posted your TVFool report. Chances are your building and everything in the surrounding apartments is the biggest factor in your reception.
For the record, he did:
Quote:
I'm in an apartment on a high floor in an urban midtown area (NYC), and I face East. There is no way I will be able to utilize anything but an indoor antenna. Is there a particular Yagi-style model that would make sense for me? My tower pattern is at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf692be0fa15 if that helps you formulate a recommendation.
post #13485 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All of my signal levels are consistently at 100, even the one that gives me the biggest trouble, WNYE-DT, where I frequently get a signal strength of 100 and a signal quality of zero. It blows my mind that a signal strength of 100 can have a signal quality of zero. That's the sort of stuff that led me to think maybe I need a 50-mile version of the Mohu Leaf rather than a 30-mile version.

As a matter of fact, I literally had my hat and coat on, and was on my way out the door to get the 50-mile version, when my email pinged notifying me someone had posted a response to my last message here. After reading your message, which seems quite unequivocal, I get the idea that a signal strength of 100 means that getting a more powerful antenna, with a 50-mile radius rather than a 30-mile radius, whether I turn on the amplifier the Mohu 50 has or not, will simply not make any difference, is that right?
Right. In fact it probably would have made things worse, since the 50 is an amplified antenna.

There are two things going on here. One is multipath, which is probably the bigger problem. The other is very strong signals, which I think the DVR+ can handle, but if they're too strong they can cause distortion in the tuners. Distortion looks like noise and reduces the signal/noise ratio. (The DVR+'s signal quality measurement probably depends mostly, if not entirely, on the S/N ratio.)

Which reminds me: have you had a chance to play with your new attenuator yet? It won't help with multipath but it might help with distortion if some of your signals are too strong.
post #13486 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And it's also unreliable.

You say this trick works best with two identical antennas. So I guess, instead of getting the 50-mile version of the Mohu, I may get a second Mohu 30 tonight; hmmm.
Or a second RCA; but the Mohu Leaf is probably more convenient indoors. Also, if you use your own antenna cables, make sure the cables from the antennas to the splitter/combiner are the same.

If you get terrible reception with this trick, don't panic! The antennas are probably out of phase. Just flip one over; that should fix it. (That happened to me once when I was hacking a Channel Master 4228 antenna.)

It's still going to be tough no matter what. I'll make one suggestion that may, or may not, work: try putting one antenna about 30 inches directly above the other, oriented the same way (e.g., cable at the bottom of both, and the pair as high as feasible). 30 inches is (very roughly) 1/2 wavelength at VHF-Hi frequencies and 1.5 wavelengths at UHF frequencies, so signals coming in at a sharp angle (from above or below) will arrive at the splitter/combiner more or less out of phase, and will therefore mostly cancel. But signals arriving horizontally (parallel to the floor) will be in phase and will add at the combiner. I'm hoping that will reduce the multipath reflections arriving at your DVR+.
post #13487 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Or a second RCA; but the Mohu Leaf is probably more convenient indoors.
So that's what I got tonight.

Quote:
Also, if you use your own antenna cables, make sure the cables from the antennas to the splitter/combiner are the same.
No problem there; I simply used the white six-foot coax cable that both antennas came with.

Quote:
If you get terrible reception with this trick, don't panic! The antennas are probably out of phase. Just flip one over; that should fix it.
Actually I've been manipulating that parameter all along. I discovered that made a difference even when I was just using the one antenna. For some reason, I find most stations come in better with the white side up; probably coincidental.

Quote:
try putting one antenna about 30 inches directly above the other, oriented the same way (e.g., cable at the bottom of both, and the pair as high as feasible). 30 inches is (very roughly) 1/2 wavelength at VHF-Hi frequencies and 1.5 wavelengths at UHF frequencies, so signals coming in at a sharp angle (from above or below) will arrive at the splitter/combiner more or less out of phase, and will therefore mostly cancel. But signals arriving horizontally (parallel to the floor) will be in phase and will add at the combiner. I'm hoping that will reduce the multipath reflections arriving at your DVR+.
Very interesting idea. I'll keep it in mind if things go South again.

When I first came home I experimented and finally got the weakest station, that CUNY station from WNYE-DT on 25.3/RF24, to come in strong without destroying most of the other stations (which is what's been happening with the other antennas and combos (always excepting the Vizio, which has never had a problem with this station). So I'm not going to experiment with your idea yet.

However you might be interested to know that uniformly I get better reception when the antennas are lying flat, horizontal, than when I mount them upright on a wall or something like that. At the moment I have one of the antennas lying flat on the windowsill pointing South and the other about eighteen inches West of the Eastern exposure window, and about one foot North of the first antenna, pointing slightly North of due West. Both of them are sitting at roughly the same level, three feet up from the floor.

It really is odd, considering the fact that, according to TV Fool, at my location at http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf692be0fa15 , 25.3/RF24 should be one of the strongest stations in my area; they list it 7th out of about five dozen stations; weird.
post #13488 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Unfortunately that's not practical in my case. I live in a one-bedroom apartment on the 27th floor facing East.
27th floor out of how many floors? If I were you I would seriously think about trying to work out some kind of roof access, and let the cable run down the outside of the building to your window. Even if you can't get roof access, maybe a neighbor will let you drop a string out of their window and fish up the cable, which you can then attach to the side of the building. Same process might also work laterally around to the west side of the building.
post #13489 of 17292 Old 12-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
27th floor out of how many floors? If I were you I would seriously think about trying to work out some kind of roof access, and let the cable run down the outside of the building to your window. Even if you can't get roof access, maybe a neighbor will let you drop a string out of their window and fish up the cable, which you can then attach to the side of the building. Same process might also work laterally around to the west side of the building.
Hmmm. I think I will need the flexibility to change the antenna's location and orientation at times in the future, depending on which station I'm watching. I also doubt that the co-op board will let me do anything like that. Neighbors probably wouldn't like it either, I think.
post #13490 of 17292 Old 12-17-2016, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Hmmm. I think I will need the flexibility to change the antenna's location and orientation at times in the future, depending on which station I'm watching. I also doubt that the co-op board will let me do anything like that. Neighbors probably wouldn't like it either, I think.
If there are several people in your building who also receive OTA television you could take the hero path. Talk with residents and see what would be involved in setting up several rooftop antennas and running connections to those residents. There may already be an infrastructure in place in walls and utility access points to run them. Back in the pioneer days, most or all of the residents of the building probably received OTA TV. How are cables for CATV and satellite service currently run? Could you trace those same paths. And given the near distance of your local transmitters it might be possible to split them off and tie them together so that everyone who wants to could get decent reception through a pooled system. Extol the virtues of the DVR+ at your co-op meetings and you might end up with sweet, elderly ladies bringing you cookies and soup on a regular basis. Your obstacles aren't tech based; they are logistical in nature. And logistical hurdles can almost always be overcome. We put a man on the moon, so getting OTA television to people in a building is certainly possible. Even in New York.
post #13491 of 17292 Old 12-17-2016, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
If there are several people in your building who also receive OTA television you could take the hero path. Talk with residents and see what would be involved in setting up several rooftop antennas and running connections to those residents. There may already be an infrastructure in place in walls and utility access points to run them. Back in the pioneer days, most or all of the residents of the building probably received OTA TV. How are cables for CATV and satellite service currently run? Could you trace those same paths. And given the near distance of your local transmitters it might be possible to split them off and tie them together so that everyone who wants to could get decent reception through a pooled system. Extol the virtues of the DVR+ at your co-op meetings and you might end up with sweet, elderly ladies bringing you cookies and soup on a regular basis. Your obstacles aren't tech based; they are logistical in nature. And logistical hurdles can almost always be overcome. We put a man on the moon, so getting OTA television to people in a building is certainly possible. Even in New York.
Actually, this is starting to sound interesting. I'll explore it; you may have created a monster.....
post #13492 of 17292 Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
More and more, I'm leaning toward getting a second Mohu 30 and seeing what that gets me.
And, in the end, that's what I did.

I managed to manipulate both antennas so that four of the five stations I regularly record, CBS, NBC, PBS and CUNY, are all coming in O.K. I had to sacrifice ABC but, fortunately, my regular ABC program Wednesday nights is pre-empted this week, so I may be able to leave things alone for the next several days. I currently have one antenna black side up about a foot away from the Eastern-exposure window pointed Northeast at a height of about three feet, and I have the other antenna also black side up about four feet away from the window pointed due South and about two feet South of the first antenna and about six feet up from the floor.

But I am making some sacrifice in terms of quality. I could not get all four stations with 100 signal quality. Some of the literature I've read on line indicate that a minimum signal quality of 85 is recommended. Well, forget that. I've got NBC and PBS at 100 but both CBS and CUNY are running around 70 for signal quality (they're all at 100 signal strength). That signal quality is noticeably South of where I normally like it, so it represents a risk on my part; hopefully it will pay off.

Last edited by criggs; 12-17-2016 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
post #13493 of 17292 Old 12-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked: 4664
Let's get back to discussing the device. If you need reception and antenna help, start a thread in Technical or use the existing one for your area in Local Reception.

Thanks

Merry Christmas

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #13494 of 17292 Old 12-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Let's get back to discussing the device. If you need reception and antenna help, start a thread in Technical or use the existing one for your area in Local Reception.
Thanks for calling my attention to the Local Reception threads; didn't know that existed and I'll check it out.

As for the DVR+, I'll leave folks with this: apparently the DVR+ has no problem treating the input side of a splitter as an output into its antenna coaxial input which, theoretically, means you should be able to attach as many antennae to the DVR+ as you like, limited only by the number of outs, now ins, on your splitter. Hope that makes sense.
post #13495 of 17292 Old 12-17-2016, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
During my testing with the beta version of Pachinko's DVR+ Lister, we discovered another apparent, uh, let's call it a "quirk" of the DVR+. We're still testing so this isn't completely confirmed yet, but it appears the DVR+ subtracts about 48 GB from a drive's free space when calculating the "Used %," so it will report a drive as 100% full and refuse to record anything else even though an HDD still has quite a bit of free space left.

48 GB is about 5% of a 1 TB HDD and even less of a 2 TB or 3 TB HDD, so this is only a big deal if you use smaller HDDs.

The DVR+'s apparent 48 GB "reservation" has soured me on the idea of using $30 128 GB flash drives as a DVR+ "library" (even though you can get around the "reservation" problem with the DVR+ Lister beta version).
Well, it turns out this 48 GB thing may not be such a bad idea with flash drives after all; it keeps the flash drive from slowing down: http://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-...-fill-them-up/

Still not a great thing for small HDDs though (48 GB is about 20% of a 250GB HDD; that's a lot of space to waste, and unlike with a SSD there's no offsetting benefit).
post #13496 of 17292 Old 12-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am really enjoying the DVR+ so far, picture quality is fantastic.

Has anyone figured out how to program a Vizio soundbar (SB4020M) to the channelmaster remote?

I have tried for a couple weeks and channelmaster has not replied to my emails yet.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

post #13497 of 17292 Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANS1 View Post
I am really enjoying the DVR+ so far, picture quality is fantastic.

Has anyone figured out how to program a Vizio soundbar (SB4020M) to the channelmaster remote?

I have tried for a couple weeks and channelmaster has not replied to my emails yet.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk
For what it's worth, I've always had better luck going through the phone for Channel Master support: (877) 746-7261
TITANS1 likes this.
post #13498 of 17292 Old 12-18-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There are so many new devices coming out all the time, and each one seemingly has its own remote control codes. You'd think CM would have added learning capability to their new "enhanced" remote so it could learn the codes of any remote that wasn't already programmed into its database.
post #13499 of 17292 Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I'm going to post, based on other posts, that 90% of television tuners are better than any DVR tuners. This thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...6-updates.html lists many DVR boxes, and it's a given that if you read any of the threads of those items you will find a post restating what you said. It seems that televisions have better tuners for most installation. Not all, but most. But you're comparing apples to grapes. A television only has to display what it receives and is designed to do that well. A DVR has more work to do. A television usually has setup option to adjust for small differences in the display. That's not needed in a DVR. I guess it comes down to this: there's no TV in DVR.
Thanks for the pointer JoeKustra to VideoBruce's list of DVR's. For reference, these are the ones that VideoBruce is still showing as available (based on his list-update on February 2016):
  • Channel Master DVR+
  • ePVision PHD VRX2
  • iView-3500STB/3500STBII
  • Mediasonic Homeworx HW-150PVR
  • TiVo Roamio Pro (limited availability)

I'm listing these here just for folks who may be reading this thread and considering a DVR+. I presently have a DVR+, and have owned various ePVision models in the past. Sadly, there aren't many choices for OTA DVR.

See VideoBruce's AVS Forum page (URL above curtesy of JoeKustra) for more details on the alternative DVR choices.

Scott

Last edited by 645824; 12-18-2016 at 01:47 PM.
post #13500 of 17292 Old 12-18-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
Thanks for the pointer JoeKustra to VideoBruce's list of DVR's. I'm listing these here just for folks who may be reading this thread and considering a DVR+. I presently have a DVR+, and have owned various ePVision models in the past. Sadly, there aren't many choices for OTA DVR.
Scott
The information for TiVo is wrong and should be removed. At this time I would vote for the DVR+. Given that I have no OTA ability, this is just my opinion and not based in personal experience.

This is why: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb387626992c Now if I could build a 2000' tower....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page