Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 451 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4447Likes

post #13501 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
The information for TiVo is wrong and should be removed. At this time I would vote for the DVR+. Given that I have no OTA ability, this is just my opinion and not based in personal experience.

This is why: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb387626992c Now if I could build a 2000' tower....
I contacted TiVo. They said that they are presently sold-out of the Roamio Pro. The rep (John) could neither confirm nor deny if it is discontinued nor if it would be restocked.

I'll defer to VideoBruce's listing of the items on the other forum.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2941 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
The information for TiVo is wrong and should be removed. At this time I would vote for the DVR+. Given that I have no OTA ability, this is just my opinion and not based in personal experience.

This is why: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb387626992c Now if I could build a 2000' tower....
Man - criggs's environment is tough, but at least he has plenty to receive if he can somehow sort through the multipath. You don't have anything to work with.

Hard to believe no one has seen fit to build even a single LPTV in your area. Population density must not be very high there.
post #13503 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by criggs View Post
All of my signal levels are consistently at 100, even the one that gives me the biggest trouble, WNYE-DT, where I frequently get a signal strength of 100 and a signal quality of zero. It blows my mind that a signal strength of 100 can have a signal quality of zero. That's the sort of stuff that led me to think maybe I need a 50-mile version of the Mohu Leaf rather than a 30-mile version.

As a matter of fact, I literally had my hat and coat on, and was on my way out the door to get the 50-mile version, when my email pinged notifying me someone had posted a response to my last message here. After reading your message, which seems quite unequivocal, I get the idea that a signal strength of 100 means that getting a more powerful antenna, with a 50-mile radius rather than a 30-mile radius, whether I turn on the amplifier the Mohu 50 has or not, will simply not make any difference, is that right?
I suspect your Mohu Leaf is amplified, and it amplifies the signal to 100%. The amplifier doesn't care that the signal is bad, it just amplifies it. Most of these amplified antennas don't allow you to turn off the amplifier.

I can put an amplifier on my expensive, big, outdoor antenna and get a signal strength of 100% on my stations that are at 65 - 80%, but the signal quality doesn't improve. In fact, the amplifier degrades the signal for the rest of the stations.

If you have $10 to test something with, buy the cheapest pair of rabbit ear style antenna you can find that is unamplified and see if it works better than the Mohu Leaf. It might.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13504 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
I contacted TiVo. They said that they are presently sold-out of the Roamio Pro. The rep (John) could neither confirm nor deny if it is discontinued nor if it would be restocked.

I'll defer to VideoBruce's listing of the items on the other forum.

Scott
I don't want to get spanked, so if you want to know what is wrong with the posted information, leave a post on any TiVo forum.
post #13505 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Man - criggs's environment is tough, but at least he has plenty to receive if he can somehow sort through the multipath. You don't have anything to work with.

Hard to believe no one has seen fit to build even a single LPTV in your area. Population density must not be very high there.
You can plug my zipcode into any map software or WWW.NOAA.GOV and you'll see my problem. It's not bad for an old retired nerd. But you're right: no people and no money. It's either a dish or cable.

I did live in Philly for the first 30 years of my life and had an HAM, CB and FCC Commercial license, so I have some knowledge of OTA and stuff like that. In my last house. about 8 miles from here, I had an outdoor FM antenna. I needed it. Now my AVR uses vtuner, and I get 200 stations just in PA.
post #13506 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I suspect your Mohu Leaf is amplified, and it amplifies the signal to 100%. The amplifier doesn't care that the signal is bad, it just amplifies it. Most of these amplified antennas don't allow you to turn off the amplifier.
I checked on that yesterday. The Mohu 50 is amplified. Luckily, he didn't buy that one. He got two (unamplified) Mohu 30's instead and joined them with a splitter used as a combiner.

The purpose of using two antennas wasn't to increase the signal; it was to produce nulls in the reception pattern to help with multipath. According to TVFool, the signals in his area are very strong. Reading 100 even without amplification should not be surprising.
post #13507 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
I suspect your Mohu Leaf is amplified, and it amplifies the signal to 100%.
Nope. The Mohu Leaf 30 doesn't amplify, only the Mohu Leaf 50.

Quote:
If you have $10 to test something with, buy the cheapest pair of rabbit ear style antenna you can find that is unamplified and see if it works better than the Mohu Leaf. It might.
Well, so far I've spent about $120, 40 on the RCA and 80 on the two Mohu Leaf 30s. At the moment, I'm getting better reception than I've gotten previously, and I did it by combining the two Mohu Leaf's into the one splitter and then feeding that to the DVR+. At least I'm now getting four of the five stations I regularly watch and record without the need to re-position the antenna. Granted that I've had to compromise on the signal quality with two of them; those two are running around 70 while the other two are solid 100's (they all have 100 signal strength). But so far (knock on wood), the two 70s are not showing breakup or pixelation, so I'm hoping for the best.
post #13508 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Without the amp, the 30 and 50 are the same antenna.
post #13509 of 17314 Old 12-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Without the amp, the 30 and 50 are the same antenna.
In that case, I'm glad I was stopped from buying it; effectively, all I would have been buying was an amplifier which I would probably have ended up turning off!

By the way, one of the moderators alerted me to a Local Reception discussion thread for NYC which fits this topic better. I posted a description of my situation over there, if some of you would like to continue the discussion there. It's at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...l#post49071617 .
post #13510 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Known Issues?

I've looked through this thread for Known Issues on the CM 7500 DVR+ 1TB. Can you start 2 recordings at the same time after having recorded 1 show? (you can't do that on the CM 7000 - it will skip one.) Does the unit freak out a month before Daylight Savings Time and move recording times by an hour or a day? How do the tuners compare to the CM-7000?

I'm heading to Best Buy to return my Roamio (tuner reception problems w/ 4 tuners vs. 2 tuners) and noticed they have the DVR+ there. Wondering if I should bite the bullet.
post #13511 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 525
yes , you should - each setup is unique in terms of your location, antenna type,its position, cabling,etc
- if you cannot find in thread daylight issue, then the model doesn't have it - see my followup posts for clarification of my thoughts
- about tuner's comparison - read last week posts also search other early posts - it's been discussed for sure many times
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by P Smith; 12-19-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #13512 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
- if you cannot find in thread daylight issue, then the model doesn't have it
I must disagree with you on this! Just because someone doesn't find anything on a subject does NOT mean an issue does not exist. In this case, there are known issues with DST, but NOT a month before DST.
post #13513 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I must disagree with you on this! Just because someone doesn't find anything on a subject does NOT mean an issue does not exist. In this case, there are known issues with DST, but NOT a month before DST.
well, then something is wrong in the logic:
- if the issue been mentioned in posts, then it must be available to find or if you found a precedent, then I would begin recommend to read all 13,000 + posts to all newbies !
post #13514 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
well, then something is wrong in the logic:
- if the issue been mentioned in posts, then it must be available to find or if you found a precedent, then I would begin recommend to read all 13,000 + posts to all newbies !
As I recall, you were unable to find your own post of the plastic caddy sketch that you posted! Of course material on DST is buried somewhere in this thread, it's a matter of finding it, hitting upon the proper search term (if there are any). Reading 13K post is of course unrealistic, but I do agree that a reasonable search attempt be made before asking for help.
post #13515 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

added 'or "Daylight Saving" (singular)'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post
Can you start 2 recordings at the same time after having recorded 1 show? (you can't do that on the CM 7000 - it will skip one.)
Yes.

Quote:
Does the unit freak out a month before Daylight Savings Time and move recording times by an hour or a day?
No, not a month before. Did you search the thread for DST or "Daylight Saving" (singular)? Similar issues occur at New Years, and as unusual as it is for CM to admit issues, they have stated to expect issues at New Years. But the issues should be for relatively short periods, and maybe a little longer when Guide data are PSIP.

Quote:
How do the tuners compare to the CM-7000?
Can't say, I don't have a CM-7000, but I will say that this is a very subjective subject. Some of us have very good results, and others have poor results. If you read the last few weeks of this thread you'll get an idea on this subject, but as the forum moderator stated, this thread is NOT for detailed reception issues. In my particular case, I believe the tuners are almost as good as my Samsung and Sony TV tuners, but I only attempt to receive broadcasts from one direction, and within the inner green bands shown by tvfool.com, and I do NOT have multi-path issues. But it is OTA, and I do occasionally have common atmospheric issues. I also have a 4 tuner DVR (whose name should not be mentioned on this thread), at I find its tuners on par with the DVR+ tuners, even though there are 4 tuners.

Quote:
I'm heading to Best Buy to return my Roamio (tuner reception problems w/ 4 tuners vs. 2 tuners) and noticed they have the DVR+ there. Wondering if I should bite the bullet.
You can only know for certain if the DVR+ performs well for you by actually trying it. If Best Buy honors the 30 day return policy, then give the DVR+ test run? Be forewarned, if you want to archive recordings to a computer, then it's not an easy task from the DVR+ internal HDD, it's only relatively easy from a USB EHD, which means you'll also need a USB disk if that's what you want to do.

Last edited by pachinko; 12-19-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #13516 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I recall, you were unable to find your own post of the plastic caddy sketch that you posted! Of course material on DST is buried somewhere in this thread, it's a matter of finding it, hitting upon the proper search term (if there are any). Reading 13K post is of course unrealistic, but I do agree that a reasonable search attempt be made before asking for help.
damn! you just support my thesis - you found it!

as to that fact - it was my fault to name the HDD holder as a "caddy", what usually used for moving item
post #13517 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Can you start 2 recordings at the same time after having recorded 1 show?
As pachinko mentioned, yes. However, assuming you're referring to a scenario where you record one show from 7:00 - 8:00, then 2 shows from 8:00 - 9:00, there is one minor, unavoidable issue. The DVR+ has a setup option that lets you add extra time to the beginning and/or ending of each recording, in one-minute increments. This is because not all shows start/end at exactly the time they say they will. In the scenario I painted, you'll lose the extra time padding from the beginning of one of the 8:00 - 9:00 recordings or the end of the 7:00 - 8:00 recording. This happens because the tuner handling the 7:00 - 8:00 recording has to switch to one of the 8:00 - 9:00 recordings.

For example, assume a one-minute padding on both the start and end and been specified in the DVR+ setup. One tuner can't record channel 7 from 6:59 - 8:01 AND channel 9 from 7:59 - 9:02. The DVR+ has internal logic to determine which recording sacrifices its time padding. I've never been curious enough to do the test recordings required to figure out the logic. It's a very small issue, but I thought you should know.
ko220 likes this.
post #13518 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 10:10 AM

Thank you all for the detailed info! I did search for all variations of daylight savings, but I didn't find anything on the Plus.

I bought the CM DVR+ today, and Best Buy matched the CM website price of $279 (they usually don't match manufacturer's prices.) Plus, the wireless adaptor is now included in the box instead of having to pay $39 separately.

I appreciate the response about recording 2 shows after 1. Strangely, the CM-7000 will skip one of the 2 if they start at the same time, even without any global time padding. It's a bizarre issue I was hoping to avoid. I will also be forewarned about the New Years possible time problems.

Anyway, after spending a couple days with the unnamed 4 channel DVR that I returned, I'm looking forward to an afternoon of programming timers with the Plus. Thanks a bunch!
post #13519 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the detailed info! I did search for all variations of daylight savings, but I didn't find anything on the Plus.

I bought the CM DVR+ today, and Best Buy matched the CM website price of $279 (they usually don't match manufacturer's prices.) Plus, the wireless adaptor is now included in the box instead of having to pay $39 separately.

I appreciate the response about recording 2 shows after 1. Strangely, the CM-7000 will skip one of the 2 if they start at the same time, even without any global time padding. It's a bizarre issue I was hoping to avoid. I will also be forewarned about the New Years possible time problems.

Anyway, after spending a couple days with the unnamed 4 channel DVR that I returned, I'm looking forward to an afternoon of programming timers with the Plus. Thanks a bunch!
one small note - CM is not a manufacturer of the DVR+ device

(really, if you would read the thread, you will know that [spoiler: e*])
post #13520 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've looked through this thread for Known Issues on the CM 7500 DVR+ 1TB. Can you start 2 recordings at the same time after having recorded 1 show? (you can't do that on the CM 7000 - it will skip one.)
Well, on the night of December 11th, I recorded NBC at 630PM for thirty minutes followed by Rain Man and Mr. Arkadin on PBS and CUNY respectively at 9PM for two hours, and there were no problems. Is that the situation you're describing? As I say, I had no problems.

Quote:
Does the unit freak out a month before Daylight Savings Time and move recording times by an hour or a day?
I wouldn't know. I got my unit right after the switch to Standard Time. I'll find out next year, I guess!

Quote:
Tell me how the 7000 tuners are and I'll be able to compare it to what I'm getting. I'm in a congested urban area, and am experiencing constant problems with multipath. I have always been able to find a spot for my indoor Mohu Leaf 30 antenna that works perfectly with every single channel, and usually two or three. But it's been almost impossible to do that if I'm trying to make four or five stations come in well at the same time. Apparently the 7500 tuner has a multipath rejection weakness where very strong nearby signals are concerned.

Quote:
For what it's worth, here's my quick thumbnail review.

Top of the list is the video quality, which is totally superb. Most of us have gotten used to the digitally compressed HD provided by the cable companies. True uncompressed HD is noticeably cleaner and clearer, at least to my eyes (although I worked in TV for years, so that may have made me more sensitive to the improvement than most might have been).

I like the interface; it is a good stab at duplicating the standard cable TV DVR interface.

I am finding the fact that one can use an external hard drive as one's storage device incredibly convenient. I can move the hard drive to my computer whenever I like if I need to edit or change a recording I've made (e.g. edit out the commercials). Two very light footprint aps help me accomplish that, Ext2fsd and DVR+ Lister. The latter is provided by this forum's very own Pachinko, and has a dedicated discussion thread all its own at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...aster-dvr.html .

I also like the fact that the purchase price is free and clear of any long-term regular monthly fees. While the up-front cost is a tad more than a few subscription-based units, over the long-term, because are no monthly fees, it still remains the cheapest full-fledged HD DVR option out there for OTA watching and recording.

The only drawback I'm finding is this tuner's multipath problem. It's a small hassle, and does not prevent me from watching beautiful TV and recording beautiful TV. But it does sometimes take a little extra work to get a good signal. It has not yet failed me however, as far as I can recall.

The bottom line: If you're looking for a cheap high-quality OTA DVR, I think it's about the best out there. It is also constantly being improved, with major software improvements every six months or so which are easy to download and install quickly. In general, I'm glad I went with it, and I'm looking forward to using it regularly when my cable TV discounts run out in February and I cut that cord!
ko220 likes this.
post #13521 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... I did search for all variations of daylight savings, but I didn't find anything on the Plus.
It depends where and how you searched. Near the top right hand side of every AVS Forum page there is a "Search this Thread" hyperlink. In that search box, enter DST or "Daylight Saving" (including the quotes) (not plural) and links will be found. If by "Plus" you mean you were looking for DST issues with respect to only the internal 1TB model, you may NOT find that because the issue applies to both the internal HDD and the 16GB models (both models are "+"). Give that a try!

Quote:
... I bought the CM DVR+ today, and Best Buy matched the CM website price of $279 (they usually don't match manufacturer's prices.) Plus, the wireless adaptor is now included in the box instead of having to pay $39 separately.
Really (not that I doubt you), the WiFi adapter came in the box? I'm happy for you, but I wonder how that happened, especially since it's still an option on the DVR+ 1TB sale page, and is not in the "What's Included" description. Personally, I hope they do begin shipping the WiFi dongle with all units (for a reasonable $10 fee), so folks don't have to waste time, and gamble upon, trying to find a cost effective substitute.

Good luck with your new toy!
ko220 likes this.
post #13522 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
For what it's worth, I've always had better luck going through the phone for Channel Master support: (877) 746-7261
Thanks criggs, called them and they were helpful but unfortunately still no code for Vizio soundbar.

I will keep at it and report back when/if.

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

post #13523 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Please report back on your reception with the two tuners in the DVR+. We can't make comparisons to specific other products in this thread for some reason, but you already stated a view that I also held, but was all but called a moron for holding (the view that four tuners in a box might do worse than two tuners in a box because the signal is divided up more). I'm interested to see how the DVR+ fares in your situation because I am in a poor reception area and have family members wondering if the DVR+ or another product will do well.
ko220 likes this.
post #13524 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Please report back on your reception with the two tuners in the DVR+. We can't make comparisons to specific other products in this thread for some reason, but you already stated a view that I also held, but was all but called a moron for holding (the view that four tuners in a box might do worse than two tuners in a box because the signal is divided up more). I'm interested to see how the DVR+ fares in your situation because I am in a poor reception area and have family members wondering if the DVR+ or another product will do well.
As I understand it (and I may be speaking out of turn because I don't have personal experience of this), the DVR+, while it is showing some weakness in my very urban area where there are a lot of powerful and congested signals, is actually supposed to be quite strong, well above average, when it comes to its performance in weak signal areas. This appears to be one of the reasons why, in spite of the multipath problems in my urban area that I am experiencing, the DVR+'s tuners actually have, on average, a fairly good reputation if you pull back the camera and assess the totality of the judgements heard from people across the country. It appears to be just my bad luck that I happen to be in a type of area where the DVR+'s tuner performance is less than stellar.
ko220 likes this.
post #13525 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've looked through this thread for Known Issues on the CM 7500 DVR+ 1TB. Can you start 2 recordings at the same time after having recorded 1 show? (you can't do that on the CM 7000 - it will skip one.)
That bug does not exist on the DVR+. It was specific to the DTVPal, aka CM-7000Pal.
Quote:
Definitely not, if you're using the Internet guide. I suppose it could happen if you're using it without an Internet connection, since that was a PSIP issue, not a Pal bug, but @Greasemonkey never mentioned anything like that happening to him.
Quote:
I have both and they're similar; the DVR+ is a bit better with weak "on-the-cliff" signals, but not so good at handling multipath.
Quote:
If you have multipath issues, a DVR with fewer tuners won't help. You should probably treat it as a reception issue rather than a DVR issue even if your TV or Pal copes with multipath well. Where in the country do you live? AVSForum probably has a thread for your area. Never mind - found it! https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...l#post48113649
ko220 likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-19-2016 at 07:58 PM.
post #13526 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is a thread titled Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA where the DVR+, and that other DVR, can be compared without any problems.

When it comes to general OTA reception issues, and miscellaneous OTA reception equipment, there are threads specific to geographic areas, where the discussion is usually better suited. If you don't find a thread for your area, start one.

As I understand it, this loosely guarded rule is because the moderators believe this thread should be about the DVR+ (the title of this thread), not other DVRs or issues (such as reception) that likely apply to other OTA devices. Naturally there will always be some overlap, and we don't get our hands slapped for limited discussions (actually, the moderators are very nice about things), but when a non-DVR+ discussion grows significantly, a moderator will step in to put us back on course (as happened a couple of days ago).

Disclaimer: I am NOT a moderator!
ko220 likes this.
post #13527 of 17314 Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As I understand it (and I may be speaking out of turn because I don't have personal experience of this), the DVR+, while it is showing some weakness in my very urban area where there are a lot of powerful and congested signals, is actually supposed to be quite strong, well above average, when it comes to its performance in weak signal areas.
ko220 has the exact situation I'm interested in, to see if the four tuner Tivo Roamio OTA performs better, the same, or worse than the two tuner DVR+ in a fringe area. I'm very happy with the performance of the DVR+ in my 65-mile, 2 edge reception area, where it is as good as a direct connection to the TV. I have other family members who are wondering about the comparison.
post #13528 of 17314 Old 12-20-2016, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Personally, I hope they do begin shipping the WiFi dongle with all units (for a reasonable $10 fee), so folks don't have to waste time, and gamble upon, trying to find a cost effective substitute.

There is no gamble for a cost effective substitute. Check out my thread.
ko220 likes this.
post #13529 of 17314 Old 12-20-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Really (not that I doubt you), the WiFi adapter came in the box? I'm happy for you, but I wonder how that happened, especially since it's still an option on the DVR+ 1TB sale page, and is not in the "What's Included" description. Personally, I hope they do begin shipping the WiFi dongle with all units (for a reasonable $10 fee), so folks don't have to waste time, and gamble upon, trying to find a cost effective substitute.

Good luck with your new toy!
**Yes, the salesman at Best Buy was surprised too, since it's not listed on either the BB or CM website. There is a big round orange sticker on the front of the box that says that the Wifi Adaptor is included, which it was. For no added cost. I should have taken a picture of it And the BB guy said they usually don't match the manufacturer's website, just Amazon or WalMart or something like that. So even if CM didn't actually build the unit, they sell it on their website, and BB may match the price if you ask, which is pretty awesome considering the Wifi seems to be included. Check the box, though.**

Quote:
**In my short experience with both, the 4 tuners did worse across more stations than the 2 tuners in the Plus. However, in the end, neither unit worked for me.**

Quote:
Tell me how the 7000 tuners are and I'll be able to compare it to what I'm getting. I'm in a congested urban area, and am experiencing constant problems with multipath. I have always been able to find a spot for my indoor Mohu Leaf 30 antenna that works perfectly with every single channel, and usually two or three. But it's been almost impossible to do that if I'm trying to make four or five stations come in well at the same time. Apparently the 7500 tuner has a multipath rejection weakness where very strong nearby signals are concerned.
**I do realize that this isn't the forum for reception, so I'll keep this short. This is exactly what happened to me with the Plus, and why I already returned it. My strongest, closest station, WAGA 5, was a complete mess. It had a signal strength of 100 but quality of 0 - 40. Unwatchable. I've already spent countless, countless hours finding the optimum antenna and position (directing my poor husband to hold the antenna a little higher, no, move it to the right, sorry, are you losing feeling in your arm?), so I decided to just revert back to the 7000. I will say the 7000 has fantastic tuners and only has temporary multipath problems with obvious things - small planes overhead or high wind.

I also felt like the Plus was trying too hard to emulate the unnamed 4 channel DVR, in that many of the things I didn't like about that unit - lack of direct simplicity in the menus, too many remote clicks for one simple task, being unable to see the signal strength on live TV and having to go through multiple menus to get there - were the same on the Plus.

Having said that, if either of the units did not have the reception problems, I probably would have kept one or the other because I miss my 14-day guide and dread DST every year, and I would love to be able to program shows with only new episodes, for instance. But for now, living in a bit of a valley, very close to TV stations, and near a regional airport, I have to stick with what works. I'm still going to be looking around, but I don't know what else to try at this point. You all have been incredibly helpful, and I apologize if this has strayed too far into reception issues. **
post #13530 of 17314 Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is exactly what happened to me with the Plus, and why I already returned it. My strongest, closest station, WAGA 5, was a complete mess. It had a signal strength of 100 but quality of 0 - 40. Unwatchable. I've already spent countless, countless hours finding the optimum antenna and position (directing my poor husband to hold the antenna a little higher, no, move it to the right, sorry, are you losing feeling in your arm?), so I decided to just revert back to the 7000. I will say the 7000 has fantastic tuners and only has temporary multipath problems with obvious things - small planes overhead or high wind.
Hmmm. It would probably void the warranty, but has it occurred to any of the geek-heads that one might be able to open up the DVR+, remove the tuner, and substitute the tuner from an old 7000?

At first, it occurred to me that I might want to trade in my Plus for an old 7000, but I see the 7000 can't accommodate an external drive, so that's a deal-killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page