Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 479 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4251Likes

post #14341 of 16897 Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just a heads up, I bought another DVR+ and hooked it up-to my new Samsung TV. I would get the initial DVR+ icon for about 4 seconds than nothing/black screen. The Firmware shipping with these units do not support 4k TVs out of the box. Channel-Master sent me a long list of steps to update the FW manually, I found it easier to hook it up to a older (1080p) TV and update the FW. You Gents may already know if this issue, but if not I hope it saves someone some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14342 of 16897 Old 05-27-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
Just a heads up, I bought another DVR+ and hooked it up-to my new Samsung TV. I would get the initial DVR+ icon for about 4 seconds than nothing/black screen. The Firmware shipping with these units do not support 4k TVs out of the box. Channel-Master sent me a long list of steps to update the FW manually, I found it easier to hook it up to a older (1080p) TV and update the FW. You Gents may already know if this issue, but if not I hope it saves someone some time.
Yes, this is a known issue in this thread. It's too bad that CM hasn't placed a notice about this in the box, or at least glued to the outside of the box.

It's interesting that they still have stock with pre 132R installed, which was released over 16 months ago! 132R was supposed to fix the 4K issues they were having with some Samsung and Vizio TVs.

Do you know what version came with the unit? Was it new or refurbished?
jericko76 likes this.
post #14343 of 16897 Old 05-27-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Yes, this is a known issue in this thread. It's too bad that CM hasn't placed a notice about this in the box, or at least glued to the outside of the box.

It's interesting that they still have stock with pre 132R installed, which was released over 16 months ago! 132R was supposed to fix the 4K issues they were having with some Samsung and Vizio TVs.

Do you know what version came with the unit? Was it new or refurbished?

Brand new unit. Finally got the new remote, even though I will use my Harmony.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14344 of 16897 Old 05-27-2017, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
... Channel-Master sent me a long list of steps to update the FW manually...
Would you please post it here ?
post #14345 of 16897 Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Would you please post it here ?
This is what they sent me:

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...oftware-Update
pachinko likes this.
post #14346 of 16897 Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
That in and of itself speaks volumes. Either they vastly overestimated sales, or they were already planning to bail on further development back then, at least for this iteration of their DVR. There really is no other valid reason why, at this point all the existing bugs haven't been worked out and they are concentrating on adding new features. Had they done so, the DVR+ would be a product with no other competitors even close to matching them. They would have been like Microsoft vs. Apple circa 2000.
pachinko likes this.
post #14347 of 16897 Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the post....saved me some aggravation

Quote:

Thanks for posting. My Samsung 4K should arrive within the next few weeks. I am running FW 124R. I had updates blocked (if ain't broke, don't fix it) If I hadn't seen your posts I would have been very frustrated when I set up the new TV. I followed your link which lead me to the link below for instructions for downloading the latest FW.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...-Black-Screen-

I did Options for customers with existing DVR+ and new 4K TV: Option 1
jericko76 likes this.

Last edited by anant; 05-28-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #14348 of 16897 Old 05-28-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant View Post
Thanks for posting. My Samsung 4K should arrive within the next few weeks. I am running FW 124R. I had updates blocked (if ain't broke, don't fix it) If I hadn't seen your posts I would have been very frustrated when I set up the new TV. I followed your link which lead me to the link below for instructions for downloading the latest FW.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...-Black-Screen-

I did Options for customers with existing DVR+ and new 4K TV: Option 1
FYI, if you would rather 124R, then you might not have to update. The 4K issue appears to be for "some" Samsung and Vizio TVs. You could try 124R, and if it doesn't work, then update. Also, the CM website offers ONLY the latest version (currently 134R), but if you want another version, they are available complements of @wiscojim (click HERE), and are installed from a thumbdrive using a Maintenance Reset procedure (the URL that @jericko76 posted earlier today).

One thing that CM neglects to state, in the update via thumbdrive instructions, is that the thumbdrive must be formatted FAT32. Also, the video and instructions show disconnecting the USB EHD from the DVR+ while powered, without using the menu system to properly disconnect it. Do you really want to do that? I would replace step 5 with step 10, or use the menu system to properly disconnect the USB EHD. Step 1 says "Click Manual Software Update and follow the instructions", but for 4K TVs you cannot follow the instructions on the download page! So be prepared for stuff like that, and think a little bit on your own.

Edit: As @pilotart mentions below, there can also be an HDMI cabling issue as some newer TV require the newer HDMI version.
jericko76 and pilotart like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 05-29-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added note about HDMI cabel
post #14349 of 16897 Old 05-29-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Cool DVR+ on latest Samsung / Vizio TV's

You may recall I encountered the same (HDMI-2.0a HDCP 2.0) blockage of DVR+ 115R on new TV three weeks ago:

HDMI ports are now HDCP 2.0 and HDMI 2.0a (2015+ Samsung)

and help was posted a few posts above and below that one.

Since I didn't want to remove router blocks, I downloaded latest (134R) firmware and put in a new FAT32 Drive. DVR+ offered to install it as EHD but not flash its firmware from it until going through that Maintenance Reset using both hands and a hip. I did it using 2014 4K TV, but should be possible using just the New TV:
Quote:
14. Once the lights go off, let go of the power button
15. Wait for the DVR+ Flash Screen to appear on your display.
16. Then immediately press the power button and hold it in 2 seconds and release.
17. A gray screen will appear.
18. Then a screen will appear that shows you the progress of the download to your DVR+/
19. When the download is completed, the DVR+ will reboot.
When it has completed turning on/booting, you can remove the USB Flash Drive.
The "15. ....DVR+...." screen had been all you ever saw before and after "16. ...." you may not see "progress" but you could await the DVR+ reboot to know it was complete.

After moving HDMI connection over to new TV there was an unexpected firmware flash by the DVR+ to the brand new TV. All the setup it had at that point was an "Antenna" Channel Scan. Absolutely no Network or Internet connection enabled on this (second) new TV yet due to the complete failure of first new TV shortly after enabling its WiFi.

First JS9000 lost everything shortly after 'networking'. Thought it followed a Samsung update, but now not so sure as there was a similar looking update (warning about 'turning-off' and a TV Reboot) on this replacement TV that was from my DVR+ that had its own firmware flash (which hadn't preceded connection to the first JS9000). It had not operated properly without its update due to the changed HDMI ports (now HDCP 2.0) and it's firmware update took care of that. Second new TV is working perfectly from DVR+ as well as on its own tuner.

Never read anything from anyone about such an experience and I'm awaiting Samsung to post next firmware version for USB install and if/when I do establish the "Smart TV" features, it will be after 'router blocking' all of the dangerous and obnoxious stuff first. I haven't 'streamed' anything anyway in the two years I've had the DVR+ so I'm in no hurry to see what HDR is all about.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 05-29-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: 15R Corrected to 115R
post #14350 of 16897 Old 05-29-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
Since I didn't want to remove router blocks, I downloaded latest (134R) firmware and put in a new FAT32 Drive. DVR+ offered to install it as EHD but not flash its firmware from it until going through that Maintenance Reset using both hands and a hip.
Well, that seem odd! So somehow the DVR+ didn't see the firmware update, and wanted to connect the FAT32 drive like an EHD? Was that a thumbdrive, or a disk drive?

Quote:
The "15. ....DVR+...." screen had been all you ever saw before and after "16. ...." you may not see "progress" but you could await the DVR+ reboot to know it was complete.
I suspect just waiting for the DVR+ to reboot to standby mode might work for an update if the DVR+ has already been setup, but user interaction is required with a DVR+ that hasn't gone through the setup procedure.

Quote:
After moving HDMI connection over to new TV there was an unexpected firmware flash by the DVR+ to the brand new TV.
Umm... The DVR+ flashed the TV? I have to doubt that, or do I misunderstand?
pilotart likes this.
post #14351 of 16897 Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, that seem odd! So somehow the DVR+ didn't see the firmware update, and wanted to connect the FAT32 drive like an EHD? Was that a thumbdrive, or a disk drive?
It was a never used, but formatted FAT32 SanDisk 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive. May have just been that Network ethernet connection was active at the time.
Quote:
I suspect just waiting for the DVR+ to reboot to standby mode might work for an update if the DVR+ has already been setup, but user interaction is required with a DVR+ that hasn't gone through the setup procedure.
If it can't update and user has no access to a TV w/HDMI it's SooL, but I'd try that Maintenance Flash anyway and do 'setup' following the forced factory reset. The only action needed on the TV is to select the Source that DVR+'s HDMI is connected to, you'll just need to see that first "DVR+" flash screen to know when to do that "two seconds" on the Power Button. CM must have verified this forced factory reset firmware flash on a new TV before 'setup'. ...
Quote:
Umm... The DVR+ flashed the TV? I have to doubt that, or do I misunderstand?
That's what happened immediately following HDMI connection of my 134R DVD+.

It had the same screen seen when TV flashes a Samsung update, but without a Network connection there's no file to flash. It's still on its 1220.8 original firmware and my intent is a possible (after research on benefits gained) USB flash. Website still has 1499.8 (edit:- it's 1481.1 which is 1499.81 MB) and 1500 is on auto update push for some. It gives European's Netflix HDR; but Samsung is as vague as CM when it comes to details about updates. TV is a brand new 2015 (Last 3D Samsung) so there's two years worth of updates. Smart TV's like to sell advertising

Like CM, website only offers one (version) download and they're 1.8+ GB each, so don't know yet if there's a dropbox for previous versions. Unlike a DVR+, there's no way to force a flash to a previous version on a Samsung TV anyway.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 05-29-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: correct text
post #14352 of 16897 Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2846 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
Thumbs up New CMTV channels: ESPN, AMC, Hallmark

Channels 254-256, all labeled "beta." I suspect that eventually, these will all be subscription-only pay channels. But for now they're free.
wizwor likes this.
post #14353 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Channels 254-256, all labeled "beta." I suspect that eventually, these will all be subscription-only pay channels. But for now they're free.
I suspect this came about without an announcement from Channel Master too! What a great business model!
post #14354 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Many moons ago CM sent out a survey, and one of the questions asked if we'd be interested in having some subscription channels added to CMTV.

But not everyone got the survey, and anyway, it's been so long I'd just about given up on them ever doing anything.

The main thing that's still missing (from all CMTV, not just these channels) is a program guide. I've gotten to the point where I depend on seeing what's on and what's coming up before I'll even tune to a channel, unless I know that a show I watch is on at a certain time. So without program guides I tend to ignore the CMTV channels.
post #14355 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
The main thing that's still missing (from all CMTV, not just these channels) is a program guide...So without program guides I tend to ignore the CMTV channels.
Same here. With few exceptions (Newsmax/RTV during political moments and the weather channel), I do not use CMTV.
Quote:
until now
post #14356 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't see them. Refreshing the list does not reveal the channels. Suggestions?
post #14357 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
until now
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Don't see them. Refreshing the list does not reveal the channels. Suggestions?
Wow; that must be the quickest beta test in history. I still have them on my guide, but none of them work any longer. Yesterday they were all working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMTV.png
Views:	1512
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2167130  

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-01-2017 at 07:14 PM.
post #14358 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

maybe it means they are still working on enhancements despite rumors to the contrary. amc would be nice.
post #14359 of 16897 Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The rumors have been no more firmware updates, but luckily they can add CMTV channels without touching the firmware. (I'm hoping they could even add program guides.)

We get AMC & Hallmark through Sling, but I have the Blue package which omits ESPN. So I'd consider subscribing to ESPN if it's reasonable.
post #14360 of 16897 Old 06-03-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Something really odd seems to have happened with my DVR Plus. A local station, channel 7 has gone missing, but only on the DVR Plus. I had scheduled a couple of recordings for Thursday night and the DVR Plus recorded, but there was so pixelation, it was unwatchable. Now, a few days later, the channel seems to have disappeared altogether. I tried rotating the antenna, but there was no position that yields a good signal. I tried a manual rescan and the unit indicates a signal strength of about 42 (although it jumps around) with a quality level of 5 max. I even tried doing a total rescan and it left out this channel when the scan completed.

I know that the problem is with the DVR Plus because the TV is hooked up to the same antenna (splitter between the TV and the DVR Plus) and the TV is rock solid on the same station.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Why would it only happen on one station? Any suggested solutions appreciated since channel 7 is an ABC affiliate.
So earlier today, I decided to try doing a full rescan and channel 7 seems to have returned. A manual scan wouldn't do it. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe there was some corrupted data in the unit in the memory that applied to that channel.
JHBrandt and pachinko like this.
post #14361 of 16897 Old 06-03-2017, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad you found a solution! I probably would never have thought that a full rescan would fix it - it looked for all the world like a reception issue.

I'll have to keep that tidbit of information in mind in case I or someone else starts experiencing poor reception on one particular channel.
pachinko likes this.
post #14362 of 16897 Old 06-03-2017, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
So earlier today, I decided to try doing a full rescan and channel 7 seems to have returned. A manual scan wouldn't do it. The only thing that I can think of is that maybe there was some corrupted data in the unit in the memory that applied to that channel.
Quote:
Glad you found a solution! I probably would never have thought that a full rescan would fix it - it looked for all the world like a reception issue.

I'll have to keep that tidbit of information in mind in case I or someone else starts experiencing poor reception on one particular channel.
Yeah JHBrandt, me too!

But the "fix" got me wondering if somehow channel 7 got "hidden" between the time the reception was really bad, and when the channel disappeared from the guide. Since a manual scan does not unhide channels, but a full channel scan does, the fix would be understandable. If it ever happens again, I would check if the channel is hidden before doing a full channel scan. Of course, as speculated, it could have been corruption!
post #14363 of 16897 Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Inaccurate Clock/Time

What's the current situation with auto-setting the time thru TV channels? Can I hope to actually have an accurate clock in my DVR+?
Thanks.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #14364 of 16897 Old 06-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
What's the current situation with auto-setting the time thru TV channels? Can I hope to actually have an accurate clock in my DVR+?
Roughly six months ago I switched from a manual time setting to an auto-setting. At first the time seemed to fluctuate in a range between 30 seconds slow to about 10 seconds fast. Mostly it was slow, so I set an early start time of 1 minute for Guide scheduled programs. For the last few months the auto-setting has been more accurate, with the time consistently running between 5 and 15 seconds fast, which is a good thing if you don't want to miss the beginning of any programs. I should also note that some stations don't seem to be that accurate in the start time for their programs, so I have left the 1 minute early time for Guide scheduled programs. I have also noticed something for which I don't have any logical explanation. With a manual time setting I found that I was having to reboot the DVR+ at least twice a week because of odd or glitchy behavior. With an auto time setting I am rebooting the DVR+ once a week, for the most part though occasionally, if there has been a lot of recording during the week I will reboot the DVR+ a second time, primarily to trigger a housekeeping routine and clear the memory. I also regularly clear the history, but have noticed one oddity that indicates shoddy cleanup by the DVR+: If I delete a Guide scheduled series that I have been recording the history is immediately populated with old entry events of that series, sometimes going back several months. I have not idea why this happens, considering the fact that the history is regularly cleared and the DVR+ is regularly rebooted. But all in all I am happy with the auto time setting, but I would make one recommendation. I would suggest that you leave the active channel set to a major network affiliate or full power local station when you power down the unit. I don't know if the DVR+ gets its time information from a specific station by default, or uses the last active channel for that information. If it is the latter, a low power station might not be as stringent on time keeping as a station that airs programming from a national network.
post #14365 of 16897 Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@SirCrow , approaching two years of use and my DVR+ "auto-setting" time is always accurate to the second.

my DVD/VCR had problems with time until four years ago when I went off the CATV service. Since it's been on antenna, it's also been accurate including ST/DST change over. I mention this as it has no internet and gets it from broadcast TV only.

So internet connection should not be needed although my DVR+ does have internet.
Art
post #14366 of 16897 Old 06-06-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks.
I don't believe that we know exactly how the DVR+ determines the current date and time when in Auto mode, but I assume if there is an Internet connection that it acquires those data periodically from an NTP server. If no internet, then it extracts the clock from the PSIP data of an available channel, and clock data usually varies from channel to channel. Which channel's PSIP is used I couldn't say as the DVR+ does not ask for one, but it might whichever channel is current.

My DVR+, running 134R, is almost always connected to the Internet via a WiFi connection, with both "Auto Time & Date" and "Auto Apply Daylight Savings" set. While I rarely check the clock, every time I've checked, including a few minutes ago, the date and time agrees with my atomic clocks to within a second or two. Although the DVR+ gets rebooted now and then, I do not reboot it on a regular basis, so I'd say rebooting is not important for an accurate clock when connected to the Internet.

Greasemonkey's report is based upon pure PSIP (no Internet), and varies up to 15 seconds, likely because of which channel is used on a particular day to acquire data. I cannot explain why pilotart isn't seeing time fluctuations on his DVD/DVR using PSIP data, other than the channel being used for the clock in his geographic area is providing really good clock data.
post #14367 of 16897 Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is only a guess, but without Internet, the DVR+ probably uses a method similar to E*'s previous OTA DVR, the Dish DTVPal. The latter was never fully understood either, but it appears to average the clocks of the various OTA signals it receives, after removing "outliers" (clocks more than a few minutes from the median of all the clocks).

Of course this means the DTVPal periodically scans all channels. (It has to do this to retrieve PSIP guide data anyway.) Without Internet, the DVR+ should be doing this too, but recent firmware versions seem to have some deficiencies in this area, unless you set up "dummy" recordings as Greasemonkey has done. So it may be necessary to set up dummy recordings to get accurate time from PSIP.
pachinko likes this.
post #14368 of 16897 Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Without Internet, the DVR+ should be doing this too, but recent firmware versions seem to have some deficiencies in this area, unless you set up "dummy" recordings as Greasemonkey has done. So it may be necessary to set up dummy recordings to get accurate time from PSIP.
I never considered what effect the dummy recordings have on keeping the time accurate. But one of the reasons I switched to the auto time setting was because when it was set to manual the time would drift a bit on the slow side. The clock being up to 45 seconds slow by the end of the week was one of the reasons I would do a cold boot. I would then have to reset the time, which was kind of a hassle.
pachinko likes this.
post #14369 of 16897 Old 06-07-2017, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Auto-Time on DVR+,DVD/VCR & TV's

With my DVD/VCR in Auto-Time mode, you must select a specific TV Station and I chose WGCU, (PBS from local State University). It's rarely been out of standby for the past few years, but although you could set recording times to the minute, you never needed any 'buffer' at all. But back when it was on CATV, it consistently lost a couple seconds a day on "Manual" and was worse on "Auto" (no matter the Station selected).

Newest TV (month old) has yet to see any internet, it's Auto-Time (no specific Station option) has time correct. Other TV's are on network internet, but like DVR+, choice is only between "Auto or Manual".

DVR+ has ethernet network and Auto-Time is consistently accurate to the second. It's set for daily 7AM-9AM to record the "CBS Morning Show" and the Network follows local traffic reports at exactly 0730, 0800 and 0830 and DVR+ is always 'to the second' in accuracy.
Art
post #14370 of 16897 Old 06-07-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I never considered what effect the dummy recordings have on keeping the time accurate. But one of the reasons I switched to the auto time setting was because when it was set to manual the time would drift a bit on the slow side. The clock being up to 45 seconds slow by the end of the week was one of the reasons I would do a cold boot. I would then have to reset the time, which was kind of a hassle.
On manual time, the DTVPal suffered from this clock drift too - IIRC it gained about 8 seconds/day or about a minute/week. Sad to hear E* still can't make a DVR with an internal clock even as accurate as a Timex wristwatch (edit) although it sounds like the DVR+ clock is slow while the Pal clock was usually fast.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-07-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page