Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 482 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4487Likes

post #14431 of 17432 Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
There was my old post with pertinent info of restoring of required SATA components;
I took the SMD SATA connector from one of portable SATA enclosures.
Unfortunately that time FW of diskless DVR+ didn't work with internal SATA HDD and DVR+ model with HDD wasn't exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14432 of 17432 Old 06-21-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Cross-posting as courtesy:
Before attempting this solution and losing the warrantee and or causing damage to the unit I would offer 2 other alternatives:

1. Try to trade the unit with someone who wants to get rid of their DVR+ with an internal drive. I'm sure there are some people out there that would prefer the DVR+ without the internal drive.

2. Sell your unit on EBAY or on the AVS forum and buy one with and internal drive. You might get a decent price.
post #14433 of 17432 Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Timer Warning

I setup a Harmony 350 remote and now I get a timer remote when I try to record. Been searching the forum and find no answers or even what it means. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14434 of 17432 Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutton2871 View Post
I setup a Harmony 350 remote and now I get a timer remote when I try to record. Been searching the forum and find no answers or even what it means. Thanks for any help.
While I don't have a clue, or even a Harmony remote control, can you elaborate, and maybe someone else might know. For example, where are you trying to start the recording, from the Guide, or while viewing show, and what buttons are you using to start the recording. A photo of the message would be nice? Is there only one online selection for setting up the DVR+? Did you override any of the buttons? Stuff like that.

Also specify which version the DVR+ is running.
post #14435 of 17432 Old 06-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
While I don't have a clue, or even a Harmony remote control, can you elaborate, and maybe someone else might know. For example, where are you trying to start the recording, from the Guide, or while viewing show, and what buttons are you using to start the recording. A photo of the message would be nice? Is there only one online selection for setting up the DVR+? Did you override any of the buttons? Stuff like that.

Also specify which version the DVR+ is running.
Sorry for the dumb question. The "timer warning" through me, I deleted 3 series recordings and that fixed the problem. Harmony remote was used just to confuse me. Thanks again.
post #14436 of 17432 Old 06-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Sorry for the dumb question. The "timer warning" through me, I deleted 3 series recordings and that fixed the problem. Harmony remote was used just to confuse me. Thanks again.
Thanks for letting us know! I use a Harmony 300 (older one, with just four devices) in my system and have the DVR+ commands from the Harmony database; I don't recall any problems at all with the default settings.
post #14437 of 17432 Old 06-22-2017, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
What exactly is a "timer remote". I'm confused.
pachinko likes this.
post #14438 of 17432 Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_ View Post
What exactly is a "timer remote". I'm confused.
Sorry, timer remote was a typo. In my confusion.
post #14439 of 17432 Old 06-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Spoiler!

Thanks, Pachinko, and all others who have responded to my posts.
Re the blocking of tr50.dishaccess.tv, I did the Ctrl-F5 and now Firefox gives me this:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
I'm not sure what to make of that, but I hope it means it's blocked. Oh yes, and I'll have to remember to have the DVR try to check for an update.

As far as the PC-to-router issue, it seems obvious from just looking at it now: the router's plugged into the modem, and that left nowhere for the PC to be plugged in but the router. Duh! I really am smart, I swear!
Thanks!
Here's what DVR+ said when I checked for the update:
Latest software detected
Unable to download, unknown error.

Will this mean the end of the nagging? Time will tell. With the CC and aspect-ratio issues, among many other things, I get enough of a headache from this thing, so I hope at least the nagging is over with. Thanks, guys.

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]
post #14440 of 17432 Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks!
Here's what DVR+ said when I checked for the update:
Latest software detected
Unable to download, unknown error.

Will this mean the end of the nagging? Time will tell. With the CC and aspect-ratio issues, among many other things, I get enough of a headache from this thing, so I hope at least the nagging is over with. Thanks, guys.
That exactly what you should get when the update address is blocked! It is exactly what I got a few minutes ago while running 132R, and exactly what I've seen in earlier versions. The window title "Latest software detected" has always been WRONG when the update address can't be reached, and I assume is because the programmers were too lazy to title it meaningfully. You should NOT see any more nags, although my test to show that updates are not coming through OTA broadcasts is not quite 2 weeks old, so is still incomplete, but as yet has never displayed an update nag. Tomorrow I plan to begin stage 2 of the test by temporarily unblocking tr50.dishaccess.tv in order for the DVR+ to find the 134R update at least one time, then block the address again to see what happens. I'll be updating that post as the days pass, for another week or so, before posting the final results.
SirCrow likes this.
post #14441 of 17432 Old 06-24-2017, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 556
The window title "Latest software detected" always made perfect sense to me, since the DVR+ had no way to see there was a newer firmware when router blocked.

In almost two years with router blocks (and on 115R), never saw anything about updates, always had solid OTA antenna active.
Spoiler!
Of course if that action were possible, it would likely not be available in all market areas anyway and testing would be needed in various 'market areas'. If it were possible, then I don't see how we could block them. What good is a DVR+ without an antenna? (I know, it's a streamer too. )

I would expect your second test will result in a firmware flash if it had been on-line long enough for a download and then router blocked again.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 06-24-2017 at 11:51 PM.
post #14442 of 17432 Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
The window title "Latest software detected" always made perfect sense to me, since the DVR+ had no way to see there was a newer firmware when router blocked.
Sorry no, unless the current firmware is truly the latest firmware, the window title "Latest software detected" is definitely incorrect, therefore it makes no sense. It doesn't make any difference if the DVR+ has a way to know it or not. You wouldn't state that 115R is the latest update if you had no way of knowing if it was or was not, would you? In the case of the DVR+, it's the job of the programmer to use correct messages, otherwise, IMHO, it's laziness or a bug.

Quote:
***SPOILER*** I can envision a motivation for forcing firmware updating if they were pushing advertising on your screen like some TV Manufacturers do, but even they don't update without internet. Router blocks on Smart TV's are circumvented when update URL's get changed. Once they get your WiFi password, they never forget it, even after a Factory Reset (which deletes all other settings, app log-on's, accounts etc.).

You need to use Ethernet (which is slower than WiFi on a Samsung) or set up a 'guest' account WiFi password which you can close if you want to keep the TV off your network. ***SPOILER***

Of course if that action were possible, it would likely not be available in all market areas anyway and testing would be needed in various 'market areas'.
I knew someone would come up with the theory that a test in one market area cannot disprove a theory, and I fully intend to state that in my final report. However, the truth is that we already have many people performing the same test every day. Everyone who is not running 134R, and who has the alias tr50.dishaccess.tv blocked in their router, is performing the same test, and we still don't have any credible reports of forced updates via OTA signals. Of course, we have no way of knowing if each and every market area is being tested, so in theory we still can't disprove the theory if we want to take things that far.

Quote:
In almost two years with router blocks (and on 115R), never saw anything about updates, always had solid OTA antenna active.
This just demonstrates my point about many folks performing "the test"!

Quote:
If it were possible, then I don't see how we could block them. What good is a DVR+ without an antenna? (I know, it's a streamer too. )
I believe it's possible, I just don't believe it's likely. But yeah, short of hacking the DVR+ firmware, it would be difficult to block a forced update via OTA singals without some sort of filtering device between the DVR+ and the antenna. We are fortunate that the programmers have provided us with the ability to deny updates, at least through 132R (we can't be sure about 134R), unlike what we find on other devices, like your TV and that DVR whose name shall not be mentioned.

Quote:
I would expect your second test will result in a firmware flash if it had been on-line long enough for a download and then router blocked again.
The ONLY way for this to happen is to permit access to the Internet for many days, allowing approximately 10 nag screens, with the last nag not having the cancel button. I've done this too many times in the past, and unlike you who believes that somehow the DVR+ downloaded and stored an update without your permission, it has never happened to me. Once I restored the block, the nag has never returned. So what will convince you? How about I don't press the cancel button on the first nag, and allow access for a couple of hours? Will that be enough? Of course, I am unable to put this to the test using 115R, but I seriously doubt that 115R acts, in this regard, differently than all other versions.

BTW, Stage 2 has begun, and am awaiting the first nag!
pilotart likes this.
post #14443 of 17432 Old 06-25-2017, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
I believe it's possible, I just don't believe it's likely. But yeah, short of hacking the DVR+ firmware, it would be difficult to block a forced update via OTA signals without some sort of filtering device between the DVR+ and the antenna.
This service was available in DFW several years ago; at that time it was provided by our PBS affiliate, so it would have been impossible to block unless you didn't want PBS on your DVR+.

At least it was possible to delete channels through version 115R. On newer firmware, you'd probably have to resort to interfering with the signal by mixing in an RF modulator tuned to the same frequency, unless you were lucky and the service was provided on, say, the only VHF signal in your area.

One device I remember that could supposedly be updated this way was the old Dish TR-40 converter box. Dish claimed it could be updated OTA, but I don't think Dish ever broadcast an update even though the service was available in many markets. (Too bad, because many early firmware versions were very buggy, and the TR-40 had no other means of being updated, such as a USB port.)

Today, I don't believe PBS or any other local broadcaster in DFW provides this update service any longer. I think it just wasn't used enough to be worthwhile, and nowadays, almost every video device sold can have its firmware updated either via USB or an Internet connection.
post #14444 of 17432 Old 06-25-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 459
The Sony DHG had Rovi supplied guide and firmware by E*. Having the entire country's OTA stations (CBS & PBS) supply the guide was pretty bad. Just check the thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...al-thread.html which has more posts than any other device in this HDTV Recorders Forum. Eventually Rovi gave up, recalled the equipment, and left a lot of people pissed off. Yet even today some users have found ways to keep their boxes working. It is HD, accepts a cable card, but has no simple way to manually set the clock. Updates, including the digital change in 2009, were done by downloads to a USB drive. I've never seen version numbers posted here, but I watched Rovi migrate through v7 (LG LST), V8 (Sony) and V10 (Sony TV). All have died off. There is a very small probability any OTA updates will ever happen.
post #14445 of 17432 Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the UpdateTV service is defunct. Here's a listing of stations that are/recently were carrying the service, but the main thing that jumped out at me is that the link at the top of the page to UpdateTV's web site no longer works: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=updatetv

Oh well, at least it apparently lasted longer than Rovi's TV Guide On-Screen (TVGOS) that more or less bricked those Sonys when Rovi discontinued it. It looks like Atlanta still had UpdateTV as recently as last March!
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 06-25-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #14446 of 17432 Old 06-25-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the UpdateTV service is defunct. Here's a listing of stations that are/recently were carrying the service, but the main thing that jumped out at me is that the link at the top of the page to UpdateTV's web site no longer works: https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=updatetv

Oh well, at least it apparently lasted longer than Rovi's TV Guide On-Screen (TVGOS) that more or less bricked those Sonys when Rovi discontinued it. It looks like Atlanta still had UpdateTV as recently as last March!
Thanks for the info on "UpdateTV". It's very interesting that this approach was actually employed, but it sure appears that it's not doing very well. There's definitely more X's than logos on rabbitears web page, and my area is an X.

It appears that UpdateTV isn't really dead. It belongs to a company named Qterics (open the spoiler for info).

Spoiler!

With the prevalence of the Internet, it seems so impractical to use any other method on a device that requires the Internet in order to perform at its highest level. And what about cost? I'm sure UpdateTV charges well for the service. In the case of the subscription free DVR+, who would pick up that cost? It's simply cost effective to host the update on the CM web site, and I'm sure much less complicated to manage.

If developers want to force updates, there are simple approaches that could be employed. For example, if the DVR+ cannot reach the update server in X number of attempts (or days), the DVR+ would become a brick until access is made available. Or, every month the web address could change so that if we blocked the one for this month, next month's address would make it through. We wouldn't be able to keep up with the changes, or would tire of making them very quickly.
post #14447 of 17432 Old 06-26-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It appears that UpdateTV isn't really dead.
Sounds like Trip needs to update his UpdateTV page!
Quote:
With the prevalence of the Internet, it seems so impractical to use any other method on a device that requires the Internet in order to perform at its highest level. And what about cost? I'm sure UpdateTV charges well for the service. In the case of the subscription-free DVR+, who would pick up that cost? It's simply cost effective to host the update on the CM web site, and I'm sure much less complicated to manage.
I could see UpdateTV being useful for inexpensive TVs and tuners (like the old TR-40) that aren't designed to be connected to the Internet. But how willing would manufacturers be to pay for UpdateTV to broadcast firmware updates for non-Internet products with no recurring revenue? Dish never actually used the service to update old TR-40's, even though they had like half a dozen firmware updates. Much easier to just provide a USB port and host the updates on a Web site, as CM does.
Quote:
If developers want to force updates, there are simple approaches that could be employed. For example, if the DVR+ cannot reach the update server in X number of attempts (or days), the DVR+ would become a brick until access is made available.
That's sort of what T**o does. You have to have an Internet connection to prove you're a subscriber (or that your unit is a "lifetime" one); otherwise all DVR functions are disabled, not just the guide. But I'm glad CM chose to make the Internet non-mandatory for the DVR+.
Quote:
Or, every month the web address could change so that if we blocked the one for this month, next month's address would make it through. We wouldn't be able to keep up with the changes, or would tire of making them very quickly.
That would only work with some routers. Routers that could block access by name vs. IP address could still block or spoof the DNS lookup. A better way would be to put the update server at the same address as the guide servers; then, if you blocked access to the updates, you'd also block access to the guide.
post #14448 of 17432 Old 06-26-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I found and posted "recovery" screen off TR-40 and TR-50 a few years ago, when bootloader (in case of damaged FW or forced by installing HW jumper) do try to download FW from OTA signals, polling each frequency.
I wouldn't believe for mixing guide and FW on one site - different companies, different money.
post #14449 of 17432 Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like Trip needs to update his UpdateTV page!
The rabbitears page was last updated about a week ago on 06/18/2017, but I notified SatelliteGuys via their Contact Us page about the broken hyperlink, and that I believe UpdateLogic is now Qterics.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #14450 of 17432 Old 06-26-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The rabbitears page was last updated about a week ago on 06/18/2017, but I notified SatelliteGuys via their Contact Us page about the broken hyperlink, and that I believe UpdateLogic is now Qterics.
Wow, SatelliteGuys updated the rabbitears page already! While the page remains much the same, the following is the updated description line near the top of the page, and it says a lot!

Quote:
UpdateTV was a service carried on PBS stations which allowed software updates for devices such as TVs and converter boxes to be transmitted over the air. This list is now considered abandoned; most PBS stations have dropped the service.
pilotart likes this.
post #14451 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rovi Guide

Anybody no a fix for why my Rovi guide seems to list some programs and not others? I record a show m-f at 1pm and it hasn't recorded in several days. The guide doesn't show anything listed at this hour...but a few days from now it IS listed. I've done a cold reboot and that hasn't fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
post #14452 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post
Anybody no a fix for why my Rovi guide seems to list some programs and not others? I record a show m-f at 1pm and it hasn't recorded in several days. The guide doesn't show anything listed at this hour...but a few days from now it IS listed. I've done a cold reboot and that hasn't fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
What program?
post #14453 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is that channel showing Rovi data, or PSIP data? If you attach a photo of the guide, that would eliminate this question. The network icon for channels showing PSIP data is a generic black and white TV icon. Rovi icons are usually in color.

If it's Rovi data, have you tried the "Refresh Rovi Guide Date" button in Settings, Channel Setup, Antenna Channels? It will take a couple of minutes to acquire the first day or so, and 15+ minutes to acquire the full 14 days.

If it's Rovi data and refreshing doesn't help, try another ZIP code in your area.

If it's PSIP, try viewing the current show on that channel for a few minutes, then check the guide again. This needs to be done at least once per day to ensure that channel's data are up to date.

While trying to resolve this issue, you can use the option to "Create a Manual Recording" schedule.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-28-2017 at 10:18 AM.
post #14454 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Since few days, I have a lot of unknown in my schedule. It's worst on some channels. Reboot and Rovi refresh did not fix it. So I think there is, again a Rovi outage for some regions.
pilotart likes this.
post #14455 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Try setting up a manual recording for that channel and time slot (m-f at 1pm). Go a week into the guide, select one of the shows you want to record, press OK, and select "Create a Manual Recording." (Make sure to scroll through the options for day to record and pick "Mon-Fri.") Then watch what it records tomorrow.

If you're lucky, that will work around the problem until Rovi gets the guide fixed. But you may find the show isn't on in that time slot after all, and you've recorded a different show than you expected to. I often see situations where Rovi uses old, inaccurate data for the second week of the 2-week guide, but the current week is correct.
post #14456 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rovi Guide

I have set up a manual recording for the 1pm time slot for Days of our LIves. I did it for two days. Meanwhile, I have refreshed the Rovi guide as per instructions suggested in this forum earlier today. It did record the show today using the manual recording feature. I refreshed the Rovi guide after that show ended and it shows "days" listed tomorrow but not after that. I also know I'm not using the psip...but the Rovi guide. Will keep you posted...thanks for all the help guys!
post #14457 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you're lucky, that will work around the problem until Rovi gets the guide fixed. But you may find the show isn't on in that time slot after all, and you've recorded a different show than you expected to. I often see situations where Rovi uses old, inaccurate data for the second week of the 2-week guide, but the current week is correct.
Rovi (really TiVo) has boiler plate data for the following week almost 100%. The metadata usually gets filled in on Thursday for NBC & CBS, but may take longer for ABC. The upcoming holiday doesn't help. Last weekend my updates stopped until 3am Tuesday morning.

It's sometimes the fault of the networks too. It's impossible to attach blame since how it all works is a very big unknown. How it gets screwed up is anybody's guess.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #14458 of 17432 Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After requesting a Rovi guide refresh, it often takes a long time for the full two weeks to fill out. But if your show's in the guide for tomorrow, you're probably in good shape.

Even though you have the Rovi guide, it could still be using PSIP data for that channel. That would happen if that channel is missing from Rovi's guide data. If so, you'll only see a small amount of data for that channel, at least until Rovi fixes the problem.

If you're stuck on PSIP data for that channel, it's probably best to stick with a manual recording until Rovi fixes it. The latest DVR+ firmware doesn't seem to keep PSIP data current enough for reliable name-based recordings, unless you set up dummy recordings as Greasemonkey does.
post #14459 of 17432 Old 06-29-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

16GB DVR+ for $144.44

Channel Master is having a 20 day TV Freedom Sales beginning July 4, 2017 at 6:00 AM Pacific. For complete information, click HERE.

Below is a list of what's on sale. There are 4,000 of each. The DVR+ is the 16GB model (no mention if new or refurbished). Not sure how they figure that $144.44 is 40% off of the regular $249, but at least the error is in the buyers favor. Perhaps an honest mistake, or they're just trying to use as many 4's as they can to honor The 4th? The sale includes free shipping within the continental U.S.

Indoor Antenna Bundle
FLATenna, Amplify and coaxial cable
$54.44 (50% savings)

Outdoor Antenna Bundle
STEALTHtenna, Amplify and coaxial cable
$74.44 (50% savings)

DVR+
$144.44 (40% savings)

Amplify
$44.44 (50% savings)

LTE Filter
$14.44 (40% savings)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20 day Channel Master TV Feeedom Sale (2017-07-04).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2209393  
wizwor and pilotart like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-29-2017 at 09:25 AM.
post #14460 of 17432 Old 06-29-2017, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Selling off of the DVR+ model, model end sell off, or going out of business sale. Just saying.
pachinko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page