Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 484 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4252Likes

post #14491 of 16899 Old 07-01-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Well, I would clarify - adding one PID for FW spooling usually taken 64-256 kbps bandwidth and major four have best coverage of OTA market; that's my point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14492 of 16899 Old 07-01-2017, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2850 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Sorry, but this will not happen in our lifetime. ATSC 3.0 will be in addition to ATSC 1.0 not instead of.
For the next, I'd say, 5-10 years, yes (and I'm not "sorry" about it at all). The FCC's current rules require a station to keep broadcasting their primary channel (the .1 one, usually) in ATSC 1.0. So we aren't going to see a mass conversion to ATSC 3.0 anytime soon. That was actually the point I was trying to make: My DVR+ will have plenty of ATSC 1.0 broadcasts to record for quite a while, and I can't see wanting to completely ditch its existing firmware for some Linux overwrite as long as that remains the case.

"In our lifetime," however, is overstating the case a bit IMO. I hope/expect to live at least another quarter century, and that ATSC 1.0 mandate can't last forever....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
You be an eternal optimist on this score, @wizwor . I think TV manufacturers absolutely loved the digital switch because it forced people to buy new TVs sooner rather than later.
Guess it didn't fully work, at least in my case. I still have an old analog CRT TV in service in one bedroom, and older flat-screen TVs with analog-only tuners in two other rooms. I do have one HDTV with a digital tuner, so maybe I got "forced" 25% of the way there
post #14493 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
"In our lifetime," however, is overstating the case a bit IMO. I hope/expect to live at least another quarter century, and that ATSC 1.0 mandate can't last forever....
I'm not convinced ATSC 3.0 will be more successful than 3D TV. The 'reasons' for lackluster consumption sure sound familiar. For starters, there is no government mandate. No mandate to put the equipment in the home or at the tv station. Bandwidth crunch and the fact that broadcasters may not have room for both old and new equipment on their towers are problems.

Of course, those seeking 4k -- and willing to spend for hardware and content -- probably are not using an antenna. DirecTV is about as uhd as it gets right now.

Maybe most important is what the bandwidth ceded to the telcos will be used for. Antennas are in 20m homes while everyone has a cell phone. It might just make more sense to continue to do pay per view and uhd over the internet. ATSC 3.0 is solving a problem that does not exist.

Regardless, I do not see people replacing working HDTVs with Higher-DTVs (8k is coming, right) and I don't see broadcasters pulling the plug on a significant portion of their audience (especially with much of OTA content being SD). At NAB, LG showed a networked wireless antenna in the home that received ATSC 3.0 signals and then sent them to TVs and mobile devices through the house via WiFi. That is what the future looks like -- an app on your TiVo, DVR+, or Roku. Most likely included with the HDTV itself.

For those considering the DVR+, ATSC 3.0 is a big nothing-burger. No one should put off a purchase to see what comes next -- especially at $144.44.
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.

Last edited by wizwor; 07-02-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14494 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Guess it didn't fully work, at least in my case. I still have an old analog CRT TV in service in one bedroom, and older flat-screen TVs with analog-only tuners in two other rooms. I do have one HDTV with a digital tuner, so maybe I got "forced" 25% of the way there
But do you use them as TV's or monitors with a tuner-enabled device connected to them? And to that end, how many people would still be using the CRT's if the DVR+ and other DVR's didn't require an HDMI connection on the TV?

Quote:
Regardless, I do not see people replacing working HDTVs with Higher-DTVs (8k is coming, right) and I don't see broadcasters pulling the plug on a significant portion of their audience (especially with much of OTA content being SD). At NAB, LG showed a networked wireless antenna in the home that received ATSC 3.0 signals and then sent them to TVs and mobile devices through the house via WiFi. That is what the future looks like -- an app on your TiVo, DVR+, or Roku. Most likely included with the HDTV itself.
And I would agree that is a possible solution. If the networked wireless antenna also down converted the ATSC 3.0 signals, The DVR+ and all other tuner-enabled devices would remain indefinitely functional. That would go a long way toward smoothing things out if CM started exclusively selling ATSC 3.0 devices. I'd much rather spend money on a wireless antenna that did that than to replace multiple TV's and other devices at several hundred dollars per pop.

Quote:
For those considering the DVR+, ATSC 3.0 is a big nothing-burger. No one should put off a purchase to see what comes next -- especially at $144.44.
I also agree that it's no reason to put off a purchase. But it is a factor that needs to be considered, whether that purchase is for a DVR+ or any receiver. How many people on this forum have several DVR+ units, multiple TV's/monitors and other receivers or DVR's?

Quote:
Bandwidth crunch and the fact that broadcasters may not have room for both old and new equipment on their towers are problems.
So to hearken back to the comment made by @P Smith about "FW spooling usually taken 64-256 kbps bandwidth", how much bandwidth could be consumed if all manufacturers of updatable devices wanted to use local broadcasters for FW updates?
post #14495 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
So to hearken back to the comment made by @P Smith about "FW spooling usually taken 64-256 kbps bandwidth", how much bandwidth could be consumed if all manufacturers of updatable devices wanted to use local broadcasters for FW updates?
No need to dedicate more - FW for different devices could sequentially use same PID and/or same bandwidth. I've seen spooling FW for TVs inside of TVGOS PIDs (100-120 kbps).
post #14496 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But do you use them as TV's or monitors with a tuner-enabled device connected to them? And to that end, how many people would still be using the CRT's if the DVR+ and other DVR's didn't require an HDMI connection on the TV?
Well, my point was, the digital transition didn't force me to buy new TVs; it only forced me to buy new tuners:

• A $40 (pre-coupon) converter for the CRT TV
  • A $70 (pre-coupon) converter for the flat screen TV with an S-video input
  • And for the other flat-screen TV, which has component and HDMI inputs, an expensive ($180) HD tuner. (My fourth, "modern" HDTV came later.)

So "they" got less than $300 from me (and the government) for the forced DTV conversion - and I think I'm on the high side! Folks with money probably spent more because they wanted big-screen HDTVs, but they would've spent that money anyhow. Folks with little money probably just hooked up converter boxes and called it a day.

BTW, none of those tuners required HDMI. HDMI isn't necessary for HDTV - component video works fine. I suspect CM/E* made the DVR+ HDMI-only to woo Internet apps to the DVR+ (a strategy that, given the few apps we ended up with, apparently didn't even work!) since they could then copy-protect Internet video with HDCP.
post #14497 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
... How many people on this forum have several DVR+ units, multiple TV's/monitors and other receivers or DVR's? ...
I don't have an answer to that, but I can tell you that this thread contains posts from 615 AVS Forum members, and I suspect the majority have at least one DVR+. I know because I have a program that opens every page in a thread, and counts the number of unique member names and how many posts they made in that particular thread. I won't reveal the stats to the public (such as the top 10 posters, or the number of posts a member made), but if you're curious about your own stats, PM me. But I will tell you that I'm am 3rd in the top 10 posters in this thread, with 961 posts (not counting this post), trailing 2nd place by 48, and 1st place by 431.

Edit 1: It turns out that the number of posts in a thread per member is already available to all. To view those data, go to the HDTV Recorders folder (or the desired parent folder), and left-click on the numeric value in the "Replies" column for the desired thread. A "Who Posted" window will open. Stretch it larger as necessary. The upper left reveals the total number of members who have posted in the thread. The member names are shown along the left edge of the window, and if stretched wide enough, the number of posts in the thread for each member appears along the right edge. The rows are sorted according to the number of posts.

This post is probably considered OT, so hopefully there won't be any replies.

Last edited by pachinko; 07-04-2017 at 08:51 AM.
post #14498 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They are necessarily monitors since the tuners tune nothing currently being broadcast. I can only speak for me. Our first 'digital to analog converters' were the DTVPal DVRs. We had five and used them with SD and HD tv. Over the years, I have used a number of devices to get signal to my only remaining SDTV including a Simple TV DVR/Roku.

Quote:
And I would agree that is a possible solution. If the networked wireless antenna also down converted the ATSC 3.0 signals, The DVR+ and all other tuner-enabled devices would remain indefinitely functional. That would go a long way toward smoothing things out if CM started exclusively selling ATSC 3.0 devices. I'd much rather spend money on a wireless antenna that did that than to replace multiple TV's and other devices at several hundred dollars per pop.
You and everyone else

Quote:
I also agree that it's no reason to put off a purchase. But it is a factor that needs to be considered, whether that purchase is for a DVR+ or any receiver. How many people on this forum have several DVR+ units, multiple TV's/monitors and other receivers or DVR's?
Again, I can only speak for me, but I have three DVR+s, four TiVo Roamios, and two Minis plus a DTVPal and seven Simple TV DVRs. I think the 'uncertain' future is a good reason to carefully consider an $800 'all in' TiVo Bolt, but the payback on a $144 DVR+ is so short that there should be no such concern. This is not new. I have been hesitant to invest in a TiVo since the 90s for the very same reason.
post #14499 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bandwidth crunch....
Quote:
So to harken back to the comment made by @P Smith about "FW spooling usually taken 64-256 kbps bandwidth", how much bandwidth could be consumed if all manufacturers of updatable devices wanted to use local broadcasters for FW updates?
To answer your direct question, I don't think it would have been that bad. OTA-updateable devices are likely programmed to download and store "their" firmware packets as they receive them; only after all the packets in the update have been received would they switch over to the updated firmware. So each update would probably be added to the stream, to be broadcast repeatedly over a period of several months. There probably wouldn't be more than a handful of updates going out at any given time.

But by "bandwidth crunch," wizwor meant something else: the upcoming repacking of all TV channels into RF channels 2-36 will leave very little "elbow room" for stations to upgrade to 3.0. With (for now) no mandate either for stations to upgrade nor for new TV tuners be 3.0-capable, stations will likely be slow to switch to 3.0.

Since 3.0 is OT, I'll send you a more detailed explanation via PM. But the bottom line is, 3.0 isn't going to brick the DVR+ anytime soon.
wizwor likes this.
post #14500 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 515
After the final version for ATSC 3.0 is released, it's likely that an updated (tuner) DVD+ may be the best solution for those of us who don't want to buy new TV's to utilize the new spectrum in old TV's.

Don't expect to see any Government Vouchers this time.
Art
post #14501 of 16899 Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as firmware updates are concerned. Samsung takes months to spread them across US & Canada via direct internet 'push'.

It's then more months before the latest firmware is available for download from North American websites although it's on Korean website from way before the NA 'push'.

Can't imagine them using OTA Networking to do that job. Firmware is GB+ in size and probably less than 20% of their TV's on antennas. But then I can't imagine why they do what they do now anyway.

So from that standpoint, DVR+ makes a better candidate for the method and might make sense if they were to introduce a non-internet version ATSC 3.0 model in the future should there be a trend away from 'networked' components
Art
post #14502 of 16899 Old 07-04-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

July 4th sale is active

The CM July 4th sale on the CM-7500GB16 for $144.44 is already active even though it's not 6:00 Pacific yet.

Click HERE for web page with all July 4th sale items. Sale lasts 20 days.

Last edited by pachinko; 07-05-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added link for all sale items
post #14503 of 16899 Old 07-04-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! BTW the new "Amplify" antenna amplifier looks like a good deal at $44.44 (although overpriced at the full $89 list price):

• Switchable gain (17dB or 30dB); in my area, the low gain setting would probably be best, while in a "fringe" area (40+ miles from the towers), the high-gain setting would be better.
  • Low noise figure (<2dB)
  • Built-in LTE filter (although all current LTE filters will be obsolete in a few years when the 600 MHz band goes to LTE)
  • Built-in FM trap (that goes all the way down to 88 MHz: good if you have strong FM stations below 92 MHz, but not recommended if you have a station on RF channel 6 in your area)
  • 5-volt power injector
  • Zip ties for easy mounting on an outdoor antenna mast

If your antenna is providing a low signal strength (not quality) below about 70 to your DVR+, this amplifier may be just what you need to improve reception.

Edit: I should clarify: if your signal strength and quality are both low, an amp will definitely improve signal strength and probably help signal quality too. But if your signal strength is good but your quality is nevertheless low, an amp would do little good and could even make things worse.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-04-2017 at 03:56 PM.
post #14504 of 16899 Old 07-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've been looking at the 'Amplify' for a bit, but the price was too good to pass this time. Thanks!

David
post #14505 of 16899 Old 07-04-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Channel Master Amplifier (needed) great deal !!!

@JHBrandt, Thank you for posting reassurance for my adding that Amp to my cart.

My Antenna feeds DVD & TV before DVR+. One Channel (ABC) had been getting weak. I had a 30 year old (20+ years working in hot attic) RadioShack 150-1960A "Cable TV Amplifier" (&splitter) with a pot to vary Gain from +10 to +20 db (6 db Noise Figure).

Connecting second amplifier outlet directly into DVR+ strengthens that channel at max gain enough to be usable most of the time, Quality is always excellent. New Sammy TV is also weak on that channel. PC Monitor TV on an indoor antenna does fine on that channel but nothing at all on eight other channels.

I have an FM Loop antenna right above TV Antenna and an XM low power transmitter @ 88.1 MHz next to it.

Really just need to trim some of my tree tops, too high to pick fruit up there anyway.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 07-04-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: (6 db Noise Figure)
post #14506 of 16899 Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Thanks! BTW the new "Amplify" antenna amplifier looks like a good deal at $44.44 (although overpriced at the full $89 list price):

• Switchable gain (17dB or 30dB); in my area, the low gain setting would probably be best, while in a "fringe" area (40+ miles from the towers), the high-gain setting would be better.
  • Low noise figure (<2dB)
  • Built-in LTE filter (although all current LTE filters will be obsolete in a few years when the 600 MHz band goes to LTE)
  • Built-in FM trap (that goes all the way down to 88 MHz: good if you have strong FM stations below 92 MHz, but not recommended if you have a station on RF channel 6 in your area)
  • 5-volt power injector
  • Zip ties for easy mounting on an outdoor antenna mast

If your antenna is providing a low signal strength (not quality) below about 70 to your DVR+, this amplifier may be just what you need to improve reception.

Edit: I should clarify: if your signal strength and quality are both low, an amp will definitely improve signal strength and probably help signal quality too. But if your signal strength is good but your quality is nevertheless low, an amp would do little good and could even make things worse.
I bought it at regular price to get the LTE filter; had a Winegard LNA 100 indoor amp at the TV, and wanted to get it closer to the actual antenna. I'm 65 miles from the towers and signal strength is about 60 - 70 without an amp. The Winegard LNA 100 did fine, but the Amplify on high gain did better and helped quite a bit. It's a heavy little amp, about three times as heavy as the Winegard and seems to be very well built.
pilotart likes this.
post #14507 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Should I upgrade to dvr+

I have a CM7400 that works fine. I have to reboot 2 or 3 times a year but other than that minor issue the unit works fine. Since it's on sale, I'm wondering if the dvr+ offers anything that justifies an upgrade.
post #14508 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I jumped in and bought a CM DVR+ because of the sale. I've had it for about a day now. I like it, so far. Question. How do you get the remote to stop "muting" the volume on the TV when pressing the "guide" button? I programmed the CM remote to work with my TV. Now every time I press "guide" on the remote, it mutes the TV. Also, I can't just turn on/off the DVR+ (using the CM remote) without it turning on/off the TV. It's very annoying. How do I fix this?
post #14509 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphypdx View Post
I have a CM7400 that works fine. I have to reboot 2 or 3 times a year but other than that minor issue the unit works fine. Since it's on sale, I'm wondering if the dvr+ offers anything that justifies an upgrade.
The guide is nicer when hooked up to internet. With the guide you can record by name and select to record only new episodes or all episodes. Also larger storage capacity. If you search this thread you will find ways to copy the recordings and edit them.
post #14510 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannynyc36 View Post
I jumped in and bought a CM DVR+ because of the sale. I've had it for about a day now. I like it, so far. Question. How do you get the remote to stop "muting" the volume on the TV when pressing the "guide" button? I programmed the CM remote to work with my TV. Now every time I press "guide" on the remote, it mutes the TV. Also, I can't just turn on/off the DVR+ (using the CM remote) without it turning on/off the TV. It's very annoying. How do I fix this?
For clarification, the remote control that came with your DVR+ is the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" model, correct? That's the model which is peanut shaped, and has a rocker for the On/Off button. The other remote control (the original model) is thin and rectangular, and has separate buttons for the TV power and DVR+ power.

I don't recall anyone, including myself, having an issue where the TV mutes when the Guide button is clicked. Does the Mute button work correctly? Assuming it's not a defective remote control, I would try reprogramming the TV using another code to see if that resolves the problem. If not I would suspect a defective remote control, and would call CM to see what they think.

As far as the ON and Off buttons controlling both the DVR+ and the TV, that's the fault of the remote control's designers. Some folks like it, others like you and I do not! Unfortunately, the designers did NOT provide a way to circumvent the action. However, my CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control does NOT turn the TV On or Off, yet the Volume Up/Down, Mute, and Input buttons still work properly. Unfortunately, I failed to document what I did to achieve this, or maybe I didn't know that I did. That said, it has been reported (click HERE) that after using the procedure below to remove the TV programming, reprogramming the remote control for the TV had issues where the TV power button failed to program, although the other TV buttons functioned properly. Perhaps that's what I did, and is what you would like, so give it a try.

1. Hold down the Setup and Off buttons simultaneously.
2. The light under the Off button will flash 4 times.
3. Release both buttons.
4. Reprogram the TV buttons as you did originally.

If that procedure works for you, please let us know.
post #14511 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #14512 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
As far as the ON and Off buttons controlling both the DVR+ and the TV, that's the fault of the remote control's designers.  …  Unfortunately, the designers did NOT provide a way to circumvent the action.
I've never programmed the TV code; the remote came out of the box controlling enough functions on the television to satisfy me.  The on/off rocker doesn't turn the television on or off, but if the TV is already on, pressing either the ON end or the OFF end makes the volume very loud.

However, the rocker actually makes the remote send two distinct signals, first one for the TV and then one for the DVR+.  I've found that if you block the first signal coming out of the remote when you press either end of the rocker (by holding something against the front edge of the remote or holding the front edge of the remote against something), the television is unaffected, and the second signal turns the DVR+ off or on depending on which half of the rocker you pressed.

I'll agree with Pachinko that the designers didn't provide a way to circumvent the action; it got in there by accident.
pachinko likes this.
post #14513 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
@mannynyc36 , Yours delivered yesterday and my order placed 0635 AM on Tuesday was acknowledged but no confirmation of shipping / tracking seen yet.
Art
That's too bad, especially since it clearly says "Ships Next Business Day" on the main web page. I wonder if ordering before 0600 Pacific time has something to do with this?
pilotart likes this.
post #14514 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphypdx View Post
I'm envious. Most of us DVR+ owners have to reboot more often than 2 or 3 times a year! Also, IIRC the CM7400 has a tuner that works with (increasingly rare unencrypted) digital cable channels, while the DVR+ is for OTA (antenna) users only.

That said, if you're an OTA user, the DVR+ has some features you may like:

• You'll get your 2-week program guide back - and this time, it's free! All you need is an Internet connection.
  • Channel Master has a collection of Internet channels you can watch for free called "CMTV." Just sign up online. Frankly, most aren't that great, but they are free....
  • An option to record only new episodes (i.e., ignore reruns) of a TV series.
  • The DVR+ has four Internet apps, for Vudu, Pandora, YouTube, and Sling TV. (Can't remember what the CM7400 has.)
  • Last but definitely not least, the DVR+ has a lot of good support from the users following this thread. One of us (pachinko) has even written a Windows app to copy recordings from a DVR+ drive to a PC.
post #14515 of 16899 Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
That's too bad, especially since it clearly says "Ships Next Business Day" on the main web page. I wonder if ordering before 0600 Pacific time has something to do with this?
Yes, but it was right after your post about discount site being active before 6 PDT. My sister telephoned before order was complete and thanks to your posting link for 'all' sale items and seeing great deal on "amplify" and then searching for their splitter, that the order was not completed until 0635 AM PDT.

I expect its just 'complication' of three items along with a flood of orders. I've just emailed them, they should respond by mid-morning Monday. I'm in the "five day" delivery zone anyway.

Without this great source, I'd have just been waiting for Black Friday.

Credit card had sent me the "card-not-present" text on Tuesday 0935 EDT of $194.88 charge from CM so I'm sure I'm in on the deal.
Art
wizwor and pachinko like this.
post #14516 of 16899 Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

I find this hard to believe. I have three DVR+s plus one at my in-laws. I cannot ever remember 'having' to reboot. When we visit the in-laws at Christmas, I reboot the DVR+ as part of my maintenance effort (delete shows, delete series, etc.).

Quote:
I'm envious. Most of us DVR+ owners have to reboot more often than 2 or 3 times a year! Also, IIRC the CM7400 has a tuner that works with (increasingly rare unencrypted) digital cable channels, while the DVR+ is for OTA (antenna) users only.

That said, if you're an OTA user, the DVR+ has some features you may like:

• You'll get your 2-week program guide back - and this time, it's free! All you need is an Internet connection.
  • Channel Master has a collection of Internet channels you can watch for free called "CMTV." Just sign up online. Frankly, most aren't that great, but they are free....
  • An option to record only new episodes (i.e., ignore reruns) of a TV series.
  • The DVR+ has four Internet apps, for Vudu, Pandora, YouTube, and Sling TV. (Can't remember what the CM7400 has.)
  • Last but definitely not least, the DVR+ has a lot of good support from the users following this thread. One of us (pachinko) has even written a Windows app to copy recordings from a DVR+ drive to a PC.
post #14517 of 16899 Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can believe it or not, but every several weeks I find that my DVR+ has stopped responding to both the remote and the front-panel switch and will not turn on (or, once, off). Holding the switch for a warm boot has always fixed it for me; but I think it's fair to say that I "have" to reboot at least once every month or two.

This is with firmware version 134R, incidentally. To be fair, it could very well be a hardware issue. For instance, perhaps inadequate ventilation leads to overheating on occasion.
post #14518 of 16899 Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I find this hard to believe. I have three DVR+s plus one at my in-laws. I cannot ever remember 'having' to reboot. When we visit the in-laws at Christmas, I reboot the DVR+ as part of my maintenance effort (delete shows, delete series, etc.).
Quote:
You can believe it or not, but every several weeks I find that my DVR+ has stopped responding to both the remote and the front-panel switch and will not turn on (or, once, off). Holding the switch for a warm boot has always fixed it for me; but I think it's fair to say that I "have" to reboot at least once every month or two.

This is with firmware version 134R, incidentally. To be fair, it could very well be a hardware issue. For instance, perhaps inadequate ventilation leads to overheating on occasion.
Because of all of the booting I've done for various experiments, it is difficult for me to say one way or the other about the need for rebooting, although there are many reports of booting fixing various issues. However, there have been long periods of time where I haven't had any time to experiment, so unless there was a power failure during those periods I'd say I've had little to no issues requiring a reboot.

I rarely stream, and that's only a few times with YouTube. I have never even registered for CMTV! So I'm wondering if using the DVR+ for streaming may increase the need to reboot periodically?
post #14519 of 16899 Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Quote:
Before I switched to Auto Time & Date I was rebooting my DVR+ about twice a week--sometimes three, on average, because of some of the same issues JHBrandt stated. Some of the remote buttons would stop working, and when jumping forward while skipping commercials the jump would only take place every other press of the button, which to me was a sure sign that I needed to reboot. After switching to Auto Time & Date those issues disappeared, and now I only reboot the DVR+ once a week on average, but occasionally will reboot it twice a week if I've recorded a lot and when I am leaving town. When I do that it's mostly to clear the memory and to trigger the internal housekeeping processes.

One thing I have also noticed after a reboot is that the DVR+ seems to initiate a PSIP scan, and in less than a minute most of the channels in the Guide show program titles, including many of the LP stations and channels I rarely watch. However, they don't necessarily show program information when I press the Info button until I navigate to those channels. Granted, this information could be saved during the reboot, but I don't know of any way to know for sure if this is happening. Interestingly, some of the channels that have no title information are major network channels.

I've also noticed that when I delete one or more series from the Series Option screen an entry from those series show up in the History screen--even if they have not recorded an episode for several months and the history was cleared even moments before. I don't know if the date is the last episode recorded, but when I deleted two series tonight the dates did seem to correspond to around the time they were last recorded this Spring. The fact that their histories exist at all is a pretty good indication that at least some History information remains tagged to the series entry indefinitely and in spite of several reboots.

Quote:
I've never noticed my DVR+ being more than slightly warm. Shortly after I purchased my DVR+ in 2015 I recorded a Dark Shadows binge on the Decades channel. The DVR+ ran non-stop for at least three days, yet the unit was barely warm to the touch and I had no concerns about temperature or overheating. For the record, my DVR+ has the 1TB internal HD.
post #14520 of 16899 Old 07-10-2017, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

I don't doubt that individuals have had issues which are resolved by a reboot. Given the propensity for experimentation of those posting here, such issues are probably more common than among the general population. I doubt 'Most of us DVR+ owners have to reboot more often than 2 or 3 times a year'. The DVR+ at my in-laws is on original firmware (I got it at launch), has no internet connection, and has never 'needed' to be rebooted (though I reboot it annually). My three DVRs are current firmware, have wireless dongles (not CM), and are used to stream occasionally. None of these DVRs have disks larger than 2t. I follow their Facebook page and twitter feed as well, and I do not see this as a common issue. On the other hand, having to reboot a piece of electronics once or twice a year is probably not something most people would complain about. I know Simple TV DVR owners have put a timer on their boxes to periodically reboot to avoid problems. Every time I call TiVo support, the first thing they do is have me reboot the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page