Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 505 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #15121 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
I've not observed any other changes to how the DVR+ works.
None of my suggestions (documented both on this forum and submitted to Channel Master), or anyone else's suggestions for that matter, were incorporated into this update.
There is certainly no improvement in the tuner's issue with multipath with 135R. Most of the time my signal quality is excellent (strength is always between 90 and 100), but a little frost on the punkin will sometimes bring on the multipath confusion.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15122 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Improving the DVR+ tuners' multipath performance probably isn't possible with firmware alone. Hopefully the new Stream+ will do a better job.
post #15123 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
upgraded to 135R

I upgraded to version 135R. I was not able to use a USB stick to upgrade -- it kept wanting to format it for use as an external disk. I already have an external disk. My USB stick only had the update file on it (completely empty otherwise); but after several attempts, I wasn't able to get it to do it.

So I did the network update and that worked fine.

I've been using version 135R for four days now and I haven't noticed any issues.

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15124 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
I upgraded to version 135R. I was not able to use a USB stick to upgrade -- it kept wanting to format it for use as an external disk. I already have an external disk. My USB stick only had the update file on it (completely empty otherwise); but after several attempts, I wasn't able to get it to do it.

So I did the network update and that worked fine.

I've been using version 135R for four days now and I haven't noticed any issues.

Thanks,

Scott
The USB stick MUST be formatted FAT32, otherwise it won't work for an update, and the DVR+ probably thought you wanted to use it for storage.
post #15125 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I listed an extra DVR+ for sale on eBay Sunday. Now I guess I'd better unbox it (it's still in the original box) and update the firmware before it gets sold. Probably need to update my listing to show 135R too.
Sold for a good price. (Was it any of you, by any chance?)

I originally got it as part of that 2-for-$300 deal CM ran a couple of years ago, and it just sat in its original box until I decided to sell it. I estimate that, even after adding the cost of the WiFi adapter & HDMI cable I threw in, shipping, and eBay fees, I'll end up having spent only a net of about $70 for the other DVR+.
Alanlee likes this.
post #15126 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's all in the timing...

Quote:
I originally got it as part of that 2-for-$300 deal CM ran a couple of years ago, and it just sat in its original box until I decided to sell it. I estimate that...I'll end up having spent only a net of about $70 for the other DVR+.
Yep, that 2-for-$300 deal was a steal, and I did the same thing - sold the extra one on CraigsList for $219 or so.
That subsidized the one I kept to the point where my net price was also in the two-digit range.
The only problem was, that was right about the time where they were transitioning from the flat remote to the curvy remote, and I had hoped I ordered late enough to get the newer ones, but I got the flat ones.
I think for a few weeks they had both types in their inventory and were just randomly shipping out whichever was nearest.
Like many others, I eventually bought a Dish 20.1 remote.

And now for what I really came online to post:

One difference I've noted since getting 135R is the difference in the sound levels between the recorded and live programs.
Recorded shows were always a little quieter than live shows, but now the difference is more noticeable.
When I stop viewing a recording and it switches to live, I find myself often having to turn down the volume.
A hot reboot didn't help matters, unfortunately.

So, here's another suggestion for CM to ignore: The sound level between live and recorded shows should be the same, or at least allow us to adjust them with some system settings so they can be made the same.
SirCrow and pilotart like this.

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Samsung UN60J6200 LED, Yamaha HTR-5860 & RX-V595 AV Receivers, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" & Polk 10" SubWoofs, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's, Polk RTi8's
post #15127 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have a problem I have tolerated for some time I hope someone here might have a solution for.

I have a wood working program that is broadcast on two separate public channels. I tell the DVR to record all episodes (it doesn't matter which channel I pick) but it doesn't mark the episodes on the other channel for recording. Knowing the standard times for the show on the other channel I tell it to record. Now the only option to record is to "add it to the series." There was a time in the past I could tell it to record and the option for recording all episodes was there. Until I discovered this I missed several episodes I would have liked to seen.

Any suggestions for a work-around? (Yes, I have pulled the power for a reset.)
post #15128 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
@DeOlMan , Just create a series for each channel with that program.

I do agree that it should record titles on any channel in the guide, but it doesn't

After recording is complete, DVR+ will place all recordings with same names into one folder, but each will retain its channel and time.
Art
post #15129 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
I doubt the DVR+ simply uses the last station's clock. This is what the inexpensive iView and Homeworx boxes do, and it causes all sorts of problems. I would expect it to use a weighted average of some sort, like E*'s previous DVR, the DTVPal, does.
Whatever caused the problem, a cold reboot fixed it right up. My DVR+ clock is now about 6-10 seconds fast, which is about how I like it. All in all, I'm very happy with Auto Date/Time because the DVR+ was losing at least a minute a week, and if the power went out and no one was around to set the time everything went right down the toilet. I wish CM had added a few more early/late time options to their menu. A 10 or 15 second early time would have been just about perfect. And it probably would have been very east to add: Open code in editor. Highlight existing section of code for early/late time. Copy. Paste. Change values for new early/late time. Save. Add to next FW update and have happy customers. Enjoy a cold brew. But that was back in those carefree, heady days. When we actually thought CM would add features that were requested.

Quote:
But if you want a simple way to test, try these low-power stations:

KBOP on channel 20's clock is a full hour slow!
KODF on channel 26 is 13 minutes fast.
KJJM on channel 34 is 17 minutes slow.
KLEG on channel 44 is 8 minutes slow.
How do you check the clock for a specific station?
post #15130 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had hoped I ordered late enough to get the newer ones, but I got the flat ones.... Like many others, I eventually bought a Dish 20.1 remote.
I got the flat ones too, although I didn't particularly care. And I also use a Dish 20.1 remote!
Quote:
One difference I've noted since getting 135R is the difference in the sound levels between the recorded and live programs.
Recorded shows were always a little quieter than live shows, but now the difference is more noticeable.
When I stop viewing a recording and it switches to live, I find myself often having to turn down the volume.
A hot reboot didn't help matters, unfortunately.

So, here's another suggestion for CM to ignore: The sound level between live and recorded shows should be the same, or at least allow us to adjust them with some system settings so they can be made the same.
Agreed. There is no excuse for a difference here. The audio is part of the digital data stream, and it should be decoded exactly the same way whether it's coming from the tuner or the hard drive. Any difference sounds like a bug to me.
post #15131 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
I do agree that it should record titles on any channel in the guide, but it doesn't
Or at least, give you the option of which channels to record. WMC, for instance, lets you choose from:
  • Any channel
  • HD only
  • HD preferred (i.e., if the same episode appears in the schedule in both SD and HD, record the HD version)
  • SD only
  • SD preferred
  • A specific channel
post #15132 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
How do you check the clock for a specific station?
I used one of those cheap tuners (specifically an iView 3200) that really does use the current station's time for its clock. I just used it to tune to each station, then compared the displayed time to an "atomic" (in reality, a WWVB-synchronized) watch.

As you can see, a few stations in the area have clocks that are way off. So tuning to one of those should let you know whether the DVR+ also uses the current station's time: if it does, its clock will also be way off shortly after tuning to one of them.
post #15133 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 5
OK, I think I have fixed it. I would delete the series, add it again and still have to manually add the sessions to the series on the other channel. This time I deleted all of the series marked for recording and rebooted the DVR. I again told it to record all series on the first channel. Next I went to the second channel to record and this time it allowed me to create a recording series for the second channel. I guess I will just have to watch to see if it records properly. I think rebooting after deleting all of the series cured the ailment. I did this for both DVRs and the second one behaved like the first after the above sequence. I guess it wouldn't have been so confusing if both of the DVRs didn't have the same recording series glitch at the same time making me think it was something else.

Last edited by DeOlMan; 12-04-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Durn typo's
post #15134 of 16832 Old 12-04-2017, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
[QUOTE=pachinko;55057064]Yeah, tons, but here are a few:

Cant quote, cant paste link, no pictures... wow :-(
-------------------------------

To download 124R Firmware from channelmaster substitute 124 for 135 in link below. I tried to paste a screenshot but was given some error about not having enough posts. -- Guess they dont like links either :-)

downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/135R_prod_signed_usb_download.str
pachinko and DeOlMan like this.
post #15135 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Twit TV is one of the CMTV channels, so it's probably just another victim of CMTV's slow but steady demise.

I'll check it on my DVR+ tonight when I get home to be sure.

If you don't mind using a PC (or at least a tablet) to watch, you can stream it: https://twit.tv/live

A workaround to this issue ... TWIT TV live is also available thru the YouTube streaming channel(CMTV) is anyone is interested.

-Rich
post #15136 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougcgibson View Post
To download 124R Firmware from channelmaster substitute 124 for 135 in link below.

Additionally, all previously available updates, installation instructions, and some other important DVR+ information has been archived here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9crycybi...Oj5axA6Ha?dl=0

I'd suggest anyone that might ever need this information in the future should download the entire file for reference, as I don't know how long I'll have an interest in keeping the file intact.

pachinko likes this.
post #15137 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To download 124R Firmware from channelmaster substitute 124 for 135 in link below. I tried to paste a screenshot but was given some error about not having enough posts. -- Guess they don't like links either :-)

Yes, the forum can be a hassle for new members. Eventually it will let you post those things.

But yes, I can confirm that the following links all work, at least for now:
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/108R_104B_prod_signed_usb_download.str
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/124R_prod_signed_usb_download.str
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/132R_prod_signed_usb_download.str
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/134R_prod_signed_usb_download.str

Older versions don't seem to be there; you should download older versions from wiscojim's dropbox link in the post above this one. Also, there's no guarantee that any versions prior to 135R will remain on CM's website for long, so grab anything you think you may need while you can! I recommend getting 124R, the version that can format (some) over-2TB hard drives to full capacity, and 134R, the latest version that lets you block auto-updates.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-17-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Make links active
post #15138 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowersrj View Post
A workaround to this issue ... TWIT TV live is also available thru the YouTube streaming channel(CMTV) is anyone is interested.

-Rich
Your post made me wonder: has anyone running 135R activated CMTV? If so, does the Twit TV CMTV channel work for you? Also, did you notice any other differences on CMTV after you updated to 135R?
post #15139 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Your post made me wonder: has anyone running 135R activated CMTV? If so, does the Twit TV CMTV channel work for you? Also, did you notice any other differences on CMTV after you updated to 135R?
I do have the latest 135R(0.5) installed but Twit TV still does not work.

-Rich
post #15140 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bummer. I was hoping Channel Master's change of servers might have helped.

My theory of how CMTV works is that it's basically a redirection service: when you select a CMTV channel, your DVR+ accesses a page at Channel Master's server, which then redirects your DVR+ to the "real" streaming URL. Channels therefore break when the "real" URL moves and the owner doesn't register the new URL with Channel Master (because they totally forgot about the CMTV thing they did many moons ago). If they don't fix it, eventually Channel Master delists the URL, and another CMTV channel bites the dust....

So, maybe when this happens, we should let the content provider ([email protected] in this case) know that we used to watch their stream on our DVR+, but it quit working so we can't anymore.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-05-2017 at 02:40 PM.
post #15141 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To download 124R Firmware from channelmaster substitute 124 for 135 in link below. I tried to paste a screenshot but was given some error about not having enough posts. -- Guess they dont like links either :-)

Kool! I'm kicking myself for not thinking to try that long ago! As noted above, grab whichever versions (and information) you may want from @wiscojim 's drop box.

BTW, welcome to the forum! A great first post! Yeah, you have to make 5 post (I think, or maybe it's 15 posts) before you can do "advanced" things. When you finally can post links, be aware that the one you post may only work for folks using the same number of "posts per thread" as you (default is 30, mine is currently 50). See my signature for a link to my post on how to adjusts links to work for everyone (it's easy).

Quote:

But yes, I can confirm that the following links all work, at least for now:
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/124R_prod_signed_usb_download.str
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/132R_prod_signed_usb_download.str
downloads.channelmaster.com/Software/134R_prod_signed_usb_download.str

Older versions don't seem to be there; you should download older versions from wiscojim's dropbox link. Also, there's no guarantee that any versions prior to 135R will remain on CM's website for long, so grab anything you think you may need while you can! I recommend getting 124R, the version that can format (some) over-2TB hard drives to full capacity, and 134R, the latest version that lets you block auto-updates.
I confirm as well, but you can also download 108R if you use the actual file name, which is "108R_104B_prod_signed_usb_download.str". I tried all releases using their correct names, and could only download the 4 you found, and 108R. I even tried for the mystery 115R version, and 123R (never released for download), but could not find them. I even tried 115R_114B and 115R_114R, but no joy.
post #15142 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I even tried 133R I figured they have a 132R, 134R, and 135R; maybe there's a 133R there too, but no luck

BTW, I maintain that 108R is actually the best firmware version to use if:

• Your DVR+ isn't connected to the Internet
  • You use the original "flat" remote
  • You don't use a 4K or Visio TV
pachinko likes this.
post #15143 of 16832 Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I confirm as well, but you can also download 108R if you use the actual file name, which is "108R_104B_prod_signed_usb_download.str". I tried all releases using their correct names, and could only download the 4 you found, and 108R. I even tried for the mystery 115R version, and 123R (never released for download), but could not find them. I even tried 115R_114B and 115R_114R, but no joy.
perhaps we need to know exactly the file name... time to dig into that site's pages and storage
post #15144 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
perhaps we need to know exactly the file name... time to dig into that site's pages and storage
I suspect that's true. Let us know what you find, especially for 115R and 123R, although I don't think anyone would want 132R!
post #15145 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wasn't 123R on the auto-update site for only a day or so before they replaced it with 124R? IIRC it had some stupid problem where it kept trying to re-update itself over and over....

Seems like any filename that isn't valid just results in a 403 (forbidden) error, so all you can do is guess and see if something starts downloading. 114R was another good release (although we suspect 115R is even better) but it isn't on that site now, at least not by its original name (assuming Wiscojim used the original names when he archived them at Dropbox).

BTW, I suspect that optional 2nd part of the file names (e.g., 104B) is the boot-loader version. I think it's shown in STB Health too. Looks like some of the early updates updated the boot-loader along with the firmware itself. Those are the ones where a power failure at just the wrong time might have been
post #15146 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Curious recording failures

On 12/4 and 12/5 my wife set five half-hour programs to record from the guide. None of them recorded. Instead, they were listed in the history as failed due to poor signal quality. But the signal quality was not even remotely poor, and they were on two or three different channels anyway. I tried recording a show in progress, and the same thing happened.

I then held the power button until the LED turned red and re-booted. After that, all was well... that is, I can record again either manually or scheduled in advance from the guide and the recordings don't fail

I don't recall seeing this odd behavior reported before, but I guess even Linux likes a re-boot once every few months.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #15147 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wasn't 123R on the auto-update site for only a day or so before they replaced it with 124R? IIRC it had some stupid problem where it kept trying to re-update itself over and over....
My records show that 123R was never posted for downloading between 6/8/2015 and 6/11/2015. It was plagued with bugs and was quickly replaced by 124R on 6/11/2015.

Quote:
Seems like any filename that isn't valid just results in a 403 (forbidden) error, so all you can do is guess and see if something starts downloading. 114R was another good release (although we suspect 115R is even better) but it isn't on that site now, at least not by its original name (assuming Wiscojim used the original names when he archived them at Dropbox).
@wiscojim 's Dropbox does list the proper filename for 114R (114R_prod_signed_usb_download.str). That matches what I have for the filename. I downloaded 114R from Channel Master's web page, which at that time used Dropbox for downloads. I have an HTML copy of the CM page for 114R, and the URL for the 114R download was https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ubiljhjsf...tf74Pre0a?dl=0. That Dropbox URL for 114R is now dead. I suspect that the updates that came after CM stopped using Dropbox are those currently on the CM server, although I can't explain 108R also being on the CM server since CM was using Dropbox when 108R was released.

I've attached a zip file of the CM download page for 114R in HTML format.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CM web page for 114R download (2014-11-21).zip (183.9 KB, 1 views)
post #15148 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
114R was another good release (although we suspect 115R is even better) but it isn't on that site now, at least not by its original name (assuming Wiscojim used the original names when he archived them at Dropbox).
I did.

post #15149 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
On 12/4 and 12/5 my wife set five half-hour programs to record from the guide. None of them recorded. Instead, they were listed in the history as failed due to poor signal quality. But the signal quality was not even remotely poor, and they were on two or three different channels anyway. I tried recording a show in progress, and the same thing happened.

I then held the power button until the LED turned red and re-booted. After that, all was well... that is, I can record again either manually or scheduled in advance from the guide and the recordings don't fail

I don't recall seeing this odd behavior reported before, but I guess even Linux likes a re-boot once every few months.
It's amazing how many problems a reboot fixes!

If the reboot hadn't worked, I would've suggested you count the number of recordings on your HDD. This is exactly the behavior seen when you reach 999. History just says "failed" with no explanation.
pilotart likes this.
post #15150 of 16832 Old 12-06-2017, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:

BTW, I suspect that optional 2nd part of the file names (e.g., 104B) is the boot-loader version. I think it's shown in STB Health too. Looks like some of the early updates updated the boot-loader along with the firmware itself. Those are the ones where a power failure at just the wrong time might have been
You're right about bootloader version ... can someone with 115R tell us its bootloader version ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page