Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 507 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #15181 of 16667 Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 99
DVR+ 'Out of Stock' on Channel Master page

FYI -- DVR+ Discontinued?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15182 of 16667 Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Not surprised. The version with the built-in drive has been out of stock for some time, figured they stopped making them long ago.

post #15183 of 16667 Old 12-14-2017, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What should I order then ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15184 of 16667 Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

When you say (in the other thread) that your box 'quit' -- what do you mean? Puff of smoke and done? Power supply? What symptoms? Perhaps somebody here can trouble-shoot assuming you have eliminated the obvious (power supply, hdmi cable, hdmi input on the TV, etc).

Last edited by eherberg; 12-14-2017 at 08:58 PM.
post #15185 of 16667 Old 12-14-2017, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLW View Post
What should I order then ?
The new product (Stream) is not very similar to the DVR+, but it is an option. Shame you missed out on the $199 TiVos in November. There are a few DVR+s on ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...r+dvr&_sacat=0

Good luck!

Last edited by wizwor; 12-15-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #15186 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm still on 134R and my guide still seems OK. Colbert is recording fine. Sounds like 135R is really stripping things down
It seems like the guide doesn't correctly signal that these latest episodes were new. When I manually add them, the DVR+ says something like "This broadcast matches an existing recording. Add?". So hopefully it was a one-time mistake of labeling this week's episodes as reruns.

DVR+ CM-7500BDL3 owner since 8-2015, recovering Spectrum victim
post #15187 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
Another thing I have noticed with the CM guide is that it only goes out 7 days now, instead of 14, and has some gaps on some channels (the guide info isn't there fore 30 minute, 1 hour, or 2 hours blocks).... I've changed Zip codes as it didn't populate the guide properly, now I have only 7 days data even when I request a new download.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
My wife accidentally updated our DVR+ to 135R; curiously I still have guide data (on Thursday) through Wednesday morning 14 days out, and I can still fine tune the frequency in the manual scan screen. So I seem to be noticing less of a difference with 135R than some of you have.
The difference in guide length probably reflects what's stored on CM's new server, although I can only guess why some Zip codes have 14 days and others only 7.

Maybe CM is actually trying to do something good here and is filling in some gaps in Rovi's guide with data from another provider, but the other provider is only giving CM 7 days instead of 14. Also, their new server may not be fully debugged yet. Remember, 135R is still pretty new.

But I have no clue why one of you can enter frequencies on the manual scan screen and the other can't

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-15-2017 at 10:44 AM.
post #15188 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
The difference in guide length probably reflects what's stored on CM's new server, although I have no clue why some Zip codes would have 14 days and others only 7.
Well, I made the mistake of going into settings and hitting "Refresh Internet Guide Data". Now I have NONE!!! Only PSIP on all channels. Waited a half hour, still the same. What a bummer.
post #15189 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Well, I made the mistake of going into settings and hitting "Refresh Internet Guide Data". Now I have NONE!!! Only PSIP on all channels. Waited a half hour, still the same. What a bummer.
Same here. Very disappointed in CM. If they think I would trust them again with new hardware, they are sadly mistaken.
artisticimaging likes this.
post #15190 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds like it's time to dust off that "maintenance reset" procedure again and revert to 134R. For the moment, at least, it's still working.
Paul210 likes this.
post #15191 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So CM is out of DVR+'s?
What are the odds of our existing DVR+'s becoming collector's items?
Might their value on eBay start going up?

Do you really need to quote the entire post in your reply?
Channel Master DVR+, LG Plasma, Yamaha RX-V595 AV Receiver, SiriusXM, Infinity RS-9's, Klipsh 12" SubWoof, Sony STR-DE635, EPI 100's
post #15192 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
Their selling prices on ebay have already been much higher than what I paid for mine from CM directly. Maybe it's time for me to sell a couple of them.

Honestly, if the previous DTVPalDVR still had a good guide, I'd be using more of them. They had some features that were far better for my needs than what the DVR+ offered. I still have 2 of them in use here, mainly for sporting events. They had a much better slow-motion and FF and reverse speeds.

Curious to see what the next CM offering makes better, and what features it makes worse...

Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #15193 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Sounds like it's time to dust off that "maintenance reset" procedure again and revert to 134R. For the moment, at least, it's still working.
After my comments above I refreshed the guide again and got 5 days of guide. I waited a few hours, hoping they were fixing things, and was back to one day. At that point I tried the maintenance reset to 134 and lo and behold I have a full guide again. Thanks JHBrandt for your suggestion. And thanks CM for nothing. It's though to fix your hardware when you have a broken humerus, but I didn't want to be stuck with a boat anchor.
post #15194 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LensClock View Post
So CM is out of DVR+'s?
What are the odds of our existing DVR+'s becoming collector's items?
That is apparently this guy's approach. He started with 9 units that he was selling around the mid $300's. This morning with 3 left, he had them around the mid 700's -- and now he has priced his last one at $830.

With other reasonably priced units still on Ebay, I can't believe he sold the 2 he had this morning at the price he was listing it at. Don't people scroll down and see the 'similar items' list?
post #15195 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I went back and reviewed the start of this thread. Looks like the very first DVR+ got into the hands of the very first reviewer (Dave Zatz) four years ago tomorrow. One pleasant surprise to me was that the Internet guide has remained free for the entire time, and apparently will continue for at least a while longer (although the server used by 135R has had a lot of issues; I'm staying on 134R until that mess gets worked out).

A much less pleasant surprise has been the paucity of apps added over that four years. The idea of integrating apps into the guide seemed like a good one, and CM started us out with just Vudu, but kept promising there would be lots more. Then we got Pandora, YouTube, CMTV (not really an "app," but still), and finally Sling TV in the first two years. But then E* made their deal with Dish, the well ran dry, and we never got any of the apps we really wanted (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.).

The new Stream+ is likely to change that, if early reports are correct - but I suspect it'll lose the DVR+'s apps-integrated-into-the-guide idea and revert to the traditional desktop/smart phone-style WIMP ("window, icon, menu, pointer") paradigm.

So the DVR+ has had a decent run. But CM has always been terrible about transitioning from one DVR to the next. There's no continuity; each DVR bears little relationship to the last one. If CM sold cell phones, their first might have been a BlackBerry, followed by an iPhone, then an Android, then a Windows phone! (And there's always a "gap" between the last of the old models and the first of the new ones, which always seems to fall during the holidays ) This is a consequence of CM's business model, but it's not the way to build brand loyalty: there's no reason to stick with CM when the time comes to upgrade.
post #15196 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
This is a consequence of CM's business model, but it's not the way to build brand loyalty: there's no reason to stick with CM when the time comes to upgrade.
I like their antennae and amplifiers.
post #15197 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When my cm7000pal had a problem before,  I would disconnect the internal hard drive,  and it would always boot back up.   This time it has a different problem.  When I try to turn it on, the power light blinks once and turns back off.   I've repaired electronics all my life (I'm no expert by any means) so I removed the boards and checked all the normal parts and only found 2 caps with low ESR which I replaced.  No change. 
post #15198 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
I went back and reviewed the start of this thread. Looks like the very first DVR+ got into the hands of the very first reviewer (Dave Zatz) four years ago tomorrow.
So to put that in perspective, since the last real FW update (135R doesn't really count) was about a year and a half ago, there were about two and a half years of updates before they gave up. In a way it makes me wonder what they knew and when they knew it, and when they really made the decision to stop supporting and manufacturing the unit. Would it really be a surprise to find out that the last DVR+ rolled off the assembly line about two years ago and CM has been selling shelf stock since then?

Quote:
The new Stream+ is likely to change that, if early reports are correct - but I suspect it'll lose the DVR+'s apps-integrated-into-the-guide idea and revert to the traditional desktop/smart phone-style WIMP ("window, icon, menu, pointer") paradigm
Unfortunately, the DVR+ and the Stream+ aren't really comparable. The DVR+ was built around being a digital video recorder that focused on OTA broadcast television, and the "+" was the free guide and streaming apps. From everything I've read about the Stream+, it's a hub that is built around streaming platforms, and the "+" is that you can scale it up by adding other components that may or may not include two tuners that receive OTA broadcast signals. My suspicion is that CM is going to focus more on the dual cable/sat tuner capability than OTA. Streaming is the wave of the future, and we got a taste of that when CM virtually abandoned supporting the OTA aspects of the DVR+ in favor of its streaming apps. The advantage of the Stream+ over a true DVR+ replacement is that it is far more likely to survive the ATSC 3.0 and future ATSC transitions. Yeah, you will have to update any peripheral tuners, but the core hub will continue to operate as a central distributor and interface for what you connect.
post #15199 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I agree: the Stream+ is a different product. The only thing it shares with the DVR+ is the +. (Well, and maybe the Internet program guide.) But it's the closest thing to a "successor" product we're likely to get. As I understand it, it's even numbered the 7600 (the DVR+ is the 7500 and CM's previous DVR was the 7400).
post #15200 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLW View Post
When my cm7000pal had a problem before, I would disconnect the internal hard drive, and it would always boot back up. This time it has a different problem. When I try to turn it on, the power light blinks once and turns back off. I've repaired electronics all my life (I'm no expert by any means) so I removed the boards and checked all the normal parts and only found 2 caps with low ESR which I replaced. No change.
I responded to your question on the DTVPal thread (the CM-7000Pal is a rebranded DTVPal)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.
post #15201 of 16667 Old 12-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Well, I agree: the Stream+ is a different product. The only thing it shares with the DVR+ is the +. (Well, and maybe the Internet program guide.) But it's the closest thing to a "successor" product we're likely to get. As I understand it, it's even numbered the 7600 (the DVR+ is the 7500 and CM's previous DVR was the 7400).
"Thus no one was allowed to watch or record things unless he bore the mark of the beast - that is, his name or his number. This calls for wisdom: Let the one who has insight calculate the beast’s number, for it is man’s number, and his number is 7600."
post #15202 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Update: last night I checked and found the icons had returned plus 2 days of guide; I was hopeful the rest would fill in. Alas, this morning (though I still have the icons) the guide is back to 1 day. Sigh...
post #15203 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
DVR+ Guide Period Shrunk

After fighting with the loss of the ROVI guides years ago on our two CM-7000PAL's, and after lots of chatting here on this forum about that and other problems with the earlier CM products, I finally gave up and retired those older DVRs and bought two of the newer models, the DVR+. Our family was impressed with this new hardware and happy we made the change. That is, until recently when we noticed that the guide was only showing a few days of programming (instead of the 2 weeks we had been seeing earlier). Great..... :-(. So what has gone wrong? Is this another absurd and unfixable ROVI/TV Guide SNAFU? I've been reading a bit here and see references to the latest FW update being at least part of the problem. Our machines are at 135R... is that good or bad? If bad, can this be fixed? I saw mention here of doing some sort of reset, but I have no idea how to do that (or, for that matter, even if I should). We really miss the two week guide -- can anyone steer me in the right direction to fix this?

John
post #15204 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
That is apparently this guy's approach. He started with 9 units that he was selling around the mid $300's. This morning with 3 left, he had them around the mid 700's -- and now he has priced his last one at $830.
Talk about looking into the crystal ball. He probably bought all of them in July for $144 each.
post #15205 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D-H View Post
After fighting with the loss of the ROVI guides years ago on our two CM-7000PAL's, and after lots of chatting here on this forum about that and other problems with the earlier CM products, I finally gave up and retired those older DVRs and bought two of the newer models, the DVR+. Our family was impressed with this new hardware and happy we made the change. That is, until recently when we noticed that the guide was only showing a few days of programming (instead of the 2 weeks we had been seeing earlier). Great..... :-(. So what has gone wrong? Is this another absurd and unfixable ROVI/TV Guide SNAFU? I've been reading a bit here and see references to the latest FW update being at least part of the problem. Our machines are at 135R... is that good or bad? If bad, can this be fixed? I saw mention here of doing some sort of reset, but I have no idea how to do that (or, for that matter, even if I should). We really miss the two week guide -- can anyone steer me in the right direction to fix this?

John
All I can say is switching back to 134 fixed the issue for me. The fix is easy, but you have to be coordinated and do it EXACTLY like it specifies, otherwise it will NOT work. Having a broken arm made me bring in my wife to help (who is not very technically savvy,) so it took several tries. Just search for "maintenance reset" and pick the one that talks about the DVR+. There is even a Dropbox link to 134 (and others.) If you are uncomfortable about this, see if you have any friends who have some technical (IT) skills to help.
pachinko likes this.
post #15206 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:

John
On 11/28/2017, Channel Master announced the following on their facebook page about 135R:

Quote:
Attention DVR+ Owners!

A very important firmware update, version 135R, was recently sent to your DVR+ unit. 135R is required in order to continue to receive the 14-Day guide data. Your DVR+ guide data has been migrated from a third-party server to a Channel Master server, which allows Channel Master to retain control of DVR+ guide data in the future. Any DVR+ unit using an older firmware version will no longer be able to receive the 14-Day guide data. Please download your update when prompted, or initiate the update in Settings.
DVR+ units that are not internet-connected will continue to receive the standard two-day PSIP guide data.

DVR+ units that are not internet-connected will continue to receive the standard two-day PSIP guide data.
Since then, folks who allowed the update have been having issues with the Guide. Those who have not updated have not had that issue. However, we do NOT know how long the Rovi Guide data will continue to be provided in the older versions (as stated by CM), so it is unclear if reverting to an older version will be beneficial for very long, but installing an old version can be done as outlined HERE (the Maintenance Reset procedure).

FYI, CM has not admitted it yet, but it looks like the DVR+ has been discontinued. In January they will be announcing details about their upcoming Stream+ device (CM's teaser HERE), but it’s unclear what that will actually be (new AVS Forum thread HERE)!

Last edited by pachinko; 12-16-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #15207 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How do you perform a "maintenance reset"? That is not the factory reset is it? Trying to use an older firmware.
post #15208 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

John
This is the procedure I use to do a maint restart. I found this on the forum somewhere.

1/ power cord out, then insert usb drive.

2/using 2 hands, hold front power button down while connecting power cord in back

3/front blue light flashes, red light comes on for a second. as soon as all lights out, let go of front power button and count 3 then push front button once

4/screen should go grey then show update in progress.

The DVR+ loads the software on the USB stick regardless of version.

If someone has a better method to get into maintenance mode please repost.
ay221 likes this.
post #15209 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got the older version running. Now I will and see if the data will populate.

Edit. My guide data is populating again. I wonder with the newer version, the guide only populates in the early morning hour?
post #15210 of 16667 Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
How do you perform a "maintenance reset"? That is not the factory reset is it? Trying to use an older firmware.
This post contains "maintenance reset" and associated links:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1481183-channel-master-dvr-owners-thread-post37556274.html#post37556274

Notice further instructions at bottom on preventing auto-update back to 135R.

And this link from CM covers maintenance reset well:
https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...oftware-Update

The link above includes a video demo of the reset

Disregard recommendation for factory reset following above.
Art
ay221 likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 12-16-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Notice further instructions at bottom on preventing auto-update back to 135R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page