Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 513 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4636Likes

post #15361 of 17687 Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Here's a partial list (in the "RemoteMaster" GUI, v2.06 build 2) showing the peanut shaped "Enhanced" DVR+ remote control is in the JP1 database.
So does this mean there's a possibility of programming the "Enhanced" remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15362 of 17687 Old 01-19-2018, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Here's a partial list (in the "RemoteMaster" GUI, v2.06 build 2) showing the peanut shaped "Enhanced" DVR+ remote control is in the JP1 database. The CM-7500XR2C2 is the only Channel Master DVR+ remote control listed (the list is alphabetical), and there is no entry under "D" for DVR+. Not sure about the name assigned as the remote control is CM-7500XRC2, not CM-7500XR2C2. Since there is no entry for the CM-7500 remote control (the original "thin/flat" model using button batteries), it appears that remote control has not been added to the JP1 database (perhaps because it does NOT have the JP1 connection pins).

perhaps owners of enhanced remote could check a label (usually under battery cover) if there exist V2 of it ?
post #15363 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3288 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Quote:
Here's a partial list (in the "RemoteMaster" GUI, v2.06 build 2) showing the peanut shaped "Enhanced" DVR+ remote control is in the JP1 database.
So does this mean there's a possibility of programming the "Enhanced" remote?
Most certainly.

The 2 is probably a typo.

I didn?t realize the old model had no pins. No pins means support is highly unlikely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15364 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Most certainly.

The 2 is probably a typo.

I didn?t realize the old model had no pins. No pins means support is highly unlikely.
Well, I did open the flat remote now: no pins like in JP1 remotes, but if I'll find the chip [RT100X AD1212D C3C911.00] white paper, if it has I2C or MISO/MOSI pins...
the PCB has letters: RRC9002-0101E, A4264-0-0, E106192, 15/02/12, SMK, 401RRC-S35-02E
post #15365 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Well, I did open the flat remote now: no pins like in JP1 remotes, but if I'll find the chip [RT100X AD1212D C3C911.00] white paper, if it has I2C or MISO/MOSI pins...
the PCB has letters: RRC9002-0101E, A4264-0-0, E106192, 15/02/12, SMK, 401RRC-S35-02E
Unfortunately, your remote isn't really worthy of trying to hack. The fact that you'd have to open the remote up and solder a connector onto the PCB, it's pretty much a non-starter for most people. There are only 3 pinless/padless remotes we've gone to the trouble of supporting in the 20 year history of the JP1 project, and those were far more worthy than this remote (way more devices and capabilities - learning, keymoves, RF, etc). You're welcome to pursue this yourself as a science experiment, but I'll sit this one out.

If you want a programmable DVR+ remote, get the "enhanced" one or any of the 100 other remotes we support. JP1 remotes far better than the original DVR+ remote start at around $5 on ebay. I just picked up the enhanced remote for $12.99 myself.

BTW, I've confirmed that the extra "2" in the name of this remote in remote master is indeed a typo. We'll get that fixed in the next release. There is no mysterious version 2.
kwg and pachinko like this.
post #15366 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation

thanks, I have one from old days - URC-8910B00 at my disposal and experiments after I did solder 6-pin connector inside

oh, BTW, that was _original_ HDT-610R remote dismantled above, same as flat remote with DVR+
post #15367 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
thanks, I have one from old days - URC-8910B00 at my disposal and experiments after I did solder 6-pin connector inside

oh, BTW, that was _original_ HDT-610R remote dismantled above, same as flat remote with DVR+
Yes, I still have a couple of 8910's. But they already have pins. Maybe you're thinking of another model. The RS 15-100 looked like an 8910 and required major surgery to add pins. And although JP1 supports older DirecTV remotes, we could never even figure out a way to add pins to it. Pretty much have to open those up and program them on the bench every time. There's one model that you have to solder in your own EEPROM chip to make work with JP1 (one is in fact for sale in our marketplace forum right now).

When deciding whether to hack a JP1 remote, you have to step back and look at the big picture. Why do you want to hack it? Do you need to add devices that have no built in codes? Do you need to redefine certain keys? Or are you doing it simply because it's there, like Mt. Everest? There are many ways to hack JP1 remotes without any cables, pins, hardware or software at all. We know button sequences that can already add new commands and redefine keys. So if you can define your goals, we may be able to find a solution that does not require reverse engineering ROM dumps or soldering pins to the CPU.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-20-2018 at 12:41 PM.
post #15368 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

we are going little bit off-topic ...

my goal was two fold - get one remote for all boxes [HT: TV, AVR, dish/DTV STB, DVD, BR, etc] and a challenge: made JP1 interface, get JP1 programs [from its site] working.
Now I'm more inclined to use a couple of required remotes, often substitute TV remote by walking to the TV and press on/off button
post #15369 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Remote came in the mail today. Nice little remote. Love the layout and backlight.

Loaded up all my devices via Remote Master (Sony TV, Denon AVR, Tivo and Roku). Tivo, TV and AVR working fine. But I haven't yet figured out how to switch device modes. There are some clues in the power on and off macros where the macro selects each of the 4 devices via shifted colored keys. But if I do that myself manually, the device modes don't change. Remote seems to be locked into the STB mode and honors volume punch through settings.

I have a lot more to test (macros besides power on/off, keymoves, shifted keys), but so far, looks pretty good.

EDIT:
I've made some interesting discoveries so far. I've modified the canned power macros to also do all my discrete input selection as well. And it runs very fast.

So as not to take this thread further off topic, anyone wanting to discuss remote details, post in the thread below, where I've just posted my findings and other musings:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=132384#132384
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-20-2018 at 03:26 PM.
post #15370 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3013 Post(s)
Liked: 1454
Quote:
Not sure about the name assigned as the remote control is CM-7500XRC2, not CM-7500XR2C2.
Maybe whoever added it to the database had just watched Star Wars
vtalon and pachinko like this.
post #15371 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Remote came in the mail today. Nice little remote. Love the layout and backlight.

Loaded up all my devices via Remote Master (Sony TV, Denon AVR, Tivo and Roku). Tivo, TV and AVR working fine. But I haven't yet figured out how to switch device modes. There are some clues in the power on and off macros where the macro selects each of the 4 devices via shifted colored keys. But if I do that myself manually, the device modes don't change. Remote seems to be locked into the STB mode and honors volume punch through settings.

I have a lot more to test (macros besides power on/off, keymoves, shifted keys), but so far, looks pretty good.

EDIT:
I've made some interesting discoveries so far. I've modified the canned power macros to also do all my discrete input selection as well. And it runs very fast.

So as not to take this thread further off topic, anyone wanting to discuss remote details, post in the thread below, where I've just posted my findings and other musings:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=132384#132384
Any discussion of the DVR+ enhanced remote is on-topic AFAIC. Of particular interest, I suspect, would be adding the following features of the flat remote to the enhanced remote:

• Programming separate power buttons for the DVR+ and TV (and AVR if you have one)
  • Finding a way to pair an enhanced remote with a particular DVR+, so multiple DVR+'s could coexist in the same room

The first one is probably easy if you don't mind giving up a few rarely-used buttons. Don't know about the second though.
pachinko likes this.
post #15372 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 06:18 PM

The power thing is easy. You can put any function on any button or shifted button. If you use shifted buttons you don't have to give up any buttons. Primary function remains unchanged. Only shifted function is different.

The pairing thing would be easy if the DVR+ itself was addressable. I know very little about the DVR+, so if it is addressable, I can tell you how to program each remote to match. If it isn't, then nothing can be done.
post #15373 of 17687 Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I'm trying to catch up on this thread. Are you guys saying that this remote...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Channel-Mas...item1ed5a9f784

Can be programmed using a cable like this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152712195878

and maybe this software?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde..._RM-IR_Version
post #15374 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Yes, but not maybe. Definitely.

However, this is mainly for the benefit of those who already have this remote. I wouldn't recommend anyone wanting a universal remote to go out and buy this model. As universals go, I'd rate it about 1 out of 10. You can get about 50x the capabilities of this remote for about the same price in a different model.
RIppolito, JHBrandt and wizwor like this.
post #15375 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

I already own three of these. They are at other homes, so I could not look for the connector in the battery compartment. I still have two DVR+s at home with the flat remote. With these remotes going for $13 on ebay, I figured I should pick up a couple for my own use -- especially if I can reprogram some of the keys. One issue I have run into with some tvs that let you scroll a list of inputs is that the input menu does not go away until you press another button (vol+). This might not be fixable. Thanks for all the work you are doing with this.
post #15376 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I already own three of these. They are at other homes, so I could not look for the connector in the battery compartment. I still have two DVR+s at home with the flat remote. With these remotes going for $13 on ebay, I figured I should pick up a couple for my own use -- especially if I can reprogram some of the keys. One issue I have run into with some tvs that let you scroll a list of inputs is that the input menu does not go away until you press another button (vol+). This might not be fixable. Thanks for all the work you are doing with this.
There are several ways to handle this. Best way would be to add the discrete input codes for the inputs you use. That way there is no menu to ever deal with. If you tell me your devices, I can give you the codes.

Again, if you don't already have one, I can't think of a good reason to buy one, unless you just like having that Channel Master logo at the bottom. But the seller you posted ships very fast, and the remote is mint. If you really like the remote, there is a lot of 100 for auction right now.
wizwor likes this.
post #15377 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The power thing is easy. You can put any function on any button or shifted button. If you use shifted buttons you don't have to give up any buttons. Primary function remains unchanged. Only shifted function is different.
If I had one of these, what I'd probably do is to program the unshifted on/off buttons to control the DVR+ alone, then program the shifted on/off to program the TV. If the TV didn't have separate on/off functions, shift-on could be a toggle for the TV and shift-off could be a toggle for an AVR. The default behavior of turning all three devices on or off is probably the single biggest complaint folks have with this remote.

But I'm unclear on how you "shift" with this remote. Which button acts as the "shift" key? Setup?
Quote:
The pairing thing would be easy if the DVR+ itself was addressable. I know very little about the DVR+, so if it is addressable, I can tell you how to program each remote to match. If it isn't, then nothing can be done.
We know the DVR+ is addressable because the flat remote can be paired with it, but the problem is, we don't know which codes the flat remote sends to change the DVR+'s address. We need to figure that out....
Quote:
... this is mainly for the benefit of those who already have this remote. I wouldn't recommend anyone wanting a universal remote to go out and buy this model. As universals go, I'd rate it about 1 out of 10. You can get about 50x the capabilities of this remote for about the same price in a different model.
I agree. The DVR+ enhanced remote was never intended to be a universal remote; like the flat remote, it was intended to be a DVR+ remote with a few TV and AVR functions. But many DVR+ owners bought it when it was hard to find a programmable remote that had a code for the DVR+, and others just got one when they bought a DVR+. For them, it's nice to discover that it's programmable!
post #15378 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 03:51 PM

Good guess. Setup is shift.

You can easily change the default power on/off macros to do whatever you want.

We already know the codes for the flat and the enhanced remotes. Flat's Device byte is 0 and Enhanced's is 1. The flat set of codes could be loaded into the enhanced remote, address change procedure performed, then the enhanced set could then be loaded. What procedure do you use to change addresses using the flat remote? Or are you saying that the DVR+ responds to both? If that's the case, then we still can't isolate 2 DVRs side by side, even using 2 addresses.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.
post #15379 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The DVR+ does respond to both the flat and enhanced remotes. However, the functionality is very similar, so I suppose one could leave the enhanced remote programmed with the flat remote codes, if that's necessary for pairing to work. Here are Pachinko's instructions for pairing the flat remote to the DVR+:
Quote:
You can have multiple DVR+ units, with a different remote for each.... This can ONLY be done with the CM-7500 "thin/flat" remote control, the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control does NOT have this ability [built in]. You do this by pairing one Remote to one DVR+. Perform the following steps on each Remote / DVR+ pair that need pairing:

1. Change the Code used by the Remote. Do this by simultaneously pressing and holding the Page Up and Page Down buttons on the remote control for about 3 seconds. The power button on the remote will glow red.
  2. Enter a 3 digit code, for example 002 (the default is 001). The red power light will blink as each button is pressed, and will blink a couple of times after the 3rd digit to indicate it accepted the code.
  3. Move the Remote very close to the desired DVR+, and point the remote at the IR receiver. Simultaneously press and hold the Page Up and the OK button for a few seconds until the power button on the remote blinks red.
  4. That's it, the paired DVR+ will respond only to that Remote, and the other DVR+ will not respond.
  5. Label the remote, and DVR+, so they can be distinguished from the others.
  6. Repeat for each DVR+, using a unique number for each.

You can also view this YouTube Video, Changing Remote control address on a Channel Master DVR+
My original guess was that steps 1 and 2 change the device code sent by the flat remote, and that step 3 sends a special code that tells the DVR+ to respond to that device code. But you said the flat remote sends device code 0 and the enhanced remote sends 1, so maybe it's not quite as simple as I thought.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 01-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.
post #15380 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI: The differences between how the flat and enhanced remotes work with the DVR+ are few:

• The flat remote has a single power button, which toggles the DVR+ between on and off; the enhanced remote has separate on and off buttons.
  • The flat remote has separate buttons for Audio and CC, while the enhanced remote has one button combining both functions. However all three buttons function identically since 123R firmware.
  • Similarly, the flat remote has separate page and channel buttons, while the enhanced remote has combined page/channel buttons. But again all buttons function identically since 123R firmware.
  • The enhanced remote has a Live button that the flat remote lacks. However the Live button is not needed to operate the DVR+ properly.

So that should make it rather easy to overlay the enhanced remote with flat remote functions (at least if the DVR+ has 123R or later firmware) if that's necessary to pair the enhanced remote to a particular DVR+. You can assign the power toggle function to either or both power buttons, assign either Audio or CC to the Audio/CC button, assign either Page +/- or Channel +/- to the Page/Channel buttons, and just assign something reasonable, such as Exit, to the Live button (i.e., make Live a duplicate of Exit).
post #15381 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
...Or are you saying that the DVR+ responds to both? If that's the case, then we still can't isolate 2 DVRs side by side, even using 2 addresses.
Pair one DVR+ using code 002 and then two DVR+s can be side by side, one controlled by the thin/flat remote control, and one controlled by the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control (which uses the default 001 code).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The DVR+ does respond to both the flat and enhanced remotes. ...
For clarity, a DVR+ responds to the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" peanut shaped remote control only if the DVR+ has a pairing code of 001 (the default).
JHBrandt likes this.
post #15382 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For clarity, a DVR+ responds to the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" peanut shaped remote control only if the DVR+ has a pairing code of 001 (the default).
Thanks Pachinko; that's probably important info.

I can't wait for Pachinko Tech Labs to get that remote control programming cable and start experimenting
pachinko likes this.
post #15383 of 17687 Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good guess. Setup is shift.

You can easily change the default power on/off macros to do whatever you want.

We already know the codes for the flat and the enhanced remotes. Flat's Device byte is 0 and Enhanced's is 1. The flat set of codes could be loaded into the enhanced remote, address change procedure performed, then the enhanced set could then be loaded. What procedure do you use to change addresses using the flat remote? Or are you saying that the DVR+ responds to both? If that's the case, then we still can't isolate 2 DVRs side by side, even using 2 addresses.
don't forget - address code/ID is stored/changed in pair, one - into DVR, second into remote's EEPROM
post #15384 of 17687 Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
FYI: The differences between how the flat and enhanced remotes work with the DVR+ are few:
In the places where my DVR+s live, the biggest difference is the batteries. Removing and replacing button batteries is a challenge for some people in some places...

https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/20...patriot-games/

post #15385 of 17687 Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the info. I've asked another JP1 user of the DVR+ to do some tests which should clear up the address questions and make it possible to change addresses using the new remote. My plan is to make a file that has all 3(?) code sets as well as the PageUp/OK held command. The procedure for changing addresses on the new remote itself would be a little different. I'll let you know when I work that part out.
post #15386 of 17687 Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the places where my DVR+s live, the biggest difference is the batteries. Removing and replacing button batteries is a challenge for some people in some places...

https://freetvforme.wordpress.com/20...patriot-games/

Yes; for mdavej's benefit, I was only spelling out how the two remotes work differently with the DVR+. Plenty more differences in how they work with the user, with batteries, etc.

But since you bring it up, other things being equal, I'd prefer a remote with AA or AAA batteries like the enhanced remote to one with CR2032 batteries like the flat remote. Only the former can be used with Next Generation remote extenders, and AAA batteries tend to be needed lots of other places, so I typically buy them in bulk and use them as needed. Only a few devices besides my flat remote need/use CR2032's, so I tend not to keep them on hand, which is a problem when they need replacing....

OTOH, pilotart has seen shorter battery life with the enhanced remote, probably due to the back-light. (Unclear whether Energizer lithium AAA's would last enough longer to make them worth their higher cost.) So the flat remote has a lower battery cost for him over time.
post #15387 of 17687 Old 01-22-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 341
I have 2 enhanced remotes and have not changed batteries in over 18 months. When I had the flat remote I had to change the batteries after 6 months! So I sold it on Ebay!

I do use good quality batteries.
post #15388 of 17687 Old 01-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
I have 2 enhanced remotes and have not changed batteries in over 18 months. When I had the flat remote I had to change the batteries after 6 months! So I sold it on Ebay!

I do use good quality batteries.
I find that the batteries last longer if I can avoid falling asleep on top of the remote in such a way that the back light is on all night
RIppolito, Paul210, focker and 3 others like this.
post #15389 of 17687 Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I find that the batteries last longer if I can avoid falling asleep on top of the remote in such a way that the back light is on all night
I'll pass that advice along to @pilotart
pilotart likes this.
post #15390 of 17687 Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Cool Battery performance and lifetime

@JHBrandt , @wizwor and @LenL :

The advantage I experience with 'coin cell' batteries is that they will maintain their full 3 Volts throughout their lifespan. This can greatly exceed ten years in some applications, like my garage door openers.

I have a counter top kitchen scale, used a lot and it eats those 2032's, but far outlasts the older scale which takes a ($) 9 Volt ($) and the coin cell is far easier to replace as well (the Nine Volts like to destroy their connector, then you're soldering in a replacement). Each scale has its advantages, but the newer ($9 Amazon Scale) gets ten times the usage. I also keep a 25 year old person scale by the fridge. Came with Lithium Power and no way to see or replace its battery and it is used once every day, looks like you would be bending steel to find a battery you'd need to solder in, if you could get Alibaba to get you a replacement. I'll just get another scale.

Six months was about the life of the flat remote's batteries and I buy them on a nine cell card at Ace Hardware for $1.50. You can find them cheaper on Amazon (but I'm leery of cheap batteries) and you certainly don't need to spend $3+ each at the drugstore. Since they give up without much warning, I have spares on hand. I've never had any leakage from 'coin cells', but lost use of remotes after their AAA's leaked. And that leakage occurred while those remotes still had working juice from the leaking battery.

I've never had any problem changing them, you need a tool (like a round toothpick or corkboard tack) to open the flat remote's battery compartment and don't bend those springs. The enhanced remote needs a sharp, straight edge to slide battery door off. But either 'latch effect' beats most remotes where the battery compartment flies open on its own and ejects battery's and cover into hiding.

What I meant last week about enhanced's first month on brand new Duracell's was just that its IR Blast was noticeably weaker, still works fine (if you 'point' more carefully, but I do like the point anywhere with strong batteries) and I'll not change batteries until the [off/on] red light starts blinking. I shall report lifespan then (the two pair included with DVR+'s from CM lasted two months each to completely dead) With the flat remote, it's full power until perceptible dimming of its red light.

After I've used most of my Costco card of AAA's, I'll look into getting it some Lithium AAA's and see how long they last, I'm sure they'd do 'IR' better.
Art
wizwor likes this.

Last edited by pilotart; 01-23-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page