Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 518 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4182Likes

post #15511 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have always had issues with my Channel Master tuners. Last weekend I picked up a HD HomeRun Duo and using the same OTA Antenna, I am pulling in channels much farther away. My local NBC which I am only 8 miles from the tower, the CM would struggle with what I thought was multi-path, cutting in and out. The Homerun has no issues. A PBS from a next state which the CM would pull in, but would drop frames is rock solid. I am also pulling in 8 more channels that appear to be stable from a city about 50 miles away the CM would never pull. Since CM switched their guide from Rovi, I have to rescan weekly as many shows I have set to record (X-Files, 911, Life is Us) show as "Unknown Event" until I re-scan. I tried changing Zip codes and still have to scan weekly. My CM has been a great device but I can see retiring it soon and moving over to something more stable/robust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15512 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
The HDHR has a built-in low noise amplifier which can improve fringe reception. A preamp would probably help your DVR+ pull in those distant stations too, but the problem with your local NBC station probably is multipath, so a preamp wouldn't help with that one. (In fact with a station that close, you don't want too much gain from your preamp, lest you cause overload and make things worse. Most tuners, including those in the HDHR, deal better with multipath than the DVR+ does.)

Not sure what's causing your guide issues. If you're having problems with 135R, that's probably not good news for the Stream+ either.

Have you tried downgrading your firmware to 134R in order to go back to Rovi's server?
jericko76 likes this.
post #15513 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The HDHR has a built-in low noise amplifier which can improve fringe reception. A preamp would probably help your DVR+ pull in those distant stations too, but the problem with your local NBC station probably is multipath, so a preamp wouldn't help with that one. (In fact with a station that close, you don't want too much gain from your preamp, lest you cause overload and make things worse. Most tuners, including those in the HDHR, deal better with multipath than the DVR+ does.)

Not sure what's causing your guide issues. If you're having problems with 135R, that's probably not good news for the Stream+ either.

Have you tried downgrading your firmware to 134R in order to go back to Rovi's server?
I did not know downgrading the FW would put me back on the old guide. I am going to definitely going to do that. I never had a guide issue before and now it has been issue after issue for me.

Edit - anyone have a link to download the 134FW and instructions to downgrade?

Last edited by jericko76; 02-26-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15514 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
I did not know downgrading the FW would put me back on the old guide. I am going to definitely going to do that. I never had a guide issue before and now it has been issue after issue for me.

Edit - anyone have a link to download the 134FW and instructions to downgrade?
You should know that the Rovi guide probably won't work indefinitely. At some point you will have to go with the new guide or use PSIP for your guide. As for downgrading to a previous version of the firmware, this link gets you to all the versions, along with instructions from @pachinko on how to do it:

Downgrading to a previous FW version
jericko76 likes this.
post #15515 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

102 Channels. No multipath. Booyah, baby!

I got the new HD Stacker antenna installed today. First thing I did was check the channels that have been having multipath problems. The signal strength was 100/100 for both channels. Hopefully this will remain the case when the trees leaf out and the channel I had multipath problems with in the summer is just as good. I plugged the antenna cable in the CM pre-amp I have been using because it also functions as a splitter, so I don't know how those numbers would look coming straight off the antenna. Once I saw the results I did a full re-scan of the channels, with interesting results. I ended up with some new channels, including 30.1 - 30.9, which aren't anywhere in my TVFool report, even in the list of fringe stations. Another thing I am noticing for the first time is that with some channels, the signal quality exceeds the signal strength. I should add that there is some multipath interference on some low power stations that are distant and off the line the antenna is facing, but those are channels I will seldom watch. But it is interesting that they scanned in. But by far the most interesting thing I have noticed is that the DVR+ scanned in more channels than my standard definition Philips DVDR, and with the new antenna is no worse in dealing with multipath than either the DVDR or my Samsung TV. Based on the experience of others who have reported no multipath problems, the tuners in the DVR+ may be of good quality, but are just far more temperamental when it comes to changes in signal quality.
post #15516 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow. The 30.x channels broadcast directionally from downtown Dallas. A little of their signal does go west to Grapevine, but getting them in Ft. Worth itself is impressive.

A highly directional antenna like the HD Stacker reduces multipath considerably (at least for the stations its pointed at). With that impairment out of the way, I suspect the DVR+ tuners will work as well for you as they do for me.
post #15517 of 16665 Old 02-26-2018, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow. The 30.x channels broadcast directionally from downtown Dallas. A little of their signal does go west to Grapevine, but getting them in Ft. Worth itself is impressive.

A highly directional antenna like the HD Stacker reduces multipath considerably (at least for the stations its pointed at). With that impairment out of the way, I suspect the DVR+ tuners will work as well for you as they do for me.
I tried looking that station up, but none of the channels shows the call letters. That is one of the channels that has a bit of multipath, but it's not one I would watch very often. I eyeballed the direction of the antenna, and I may have biased it a bit to the south. The TV Fool report shows the minimums and maximums for the azimuth at 123*/128* true north, 120*/125* magnetic north. I'm probably closer to the 128*, so if I get really motivated I might swing it back a few degrees to the north.

On the downside, I lost the 31.x series of channels that carried Retro and HOT. But they are gone from all my devices, so I think they may have gone off the air, at least for now. I'm less hesitant to do a full re-scan now that I know I'm getting better reception. Along with the better reception, the re-scan also fixed the shift and duplication for the 47.x channels to the 109.x-113.x range. With the loss of the 31.x channels it was the addition of the 30.x channels, along with the recently added Charge! and Quest TV channels that pushed me over 100 channels.

I am also not counting the duplicate channels for 23.1 - 23.4, which show up as 23.11 - 23.14, and which I have hidden. Based on what you told me a while ago, that upper range is broadcast from a separate transmitter on a downtown building. It's only 2.4 miles away from me, but it also coming in at about 90* to the right of the direction my antenna is pointing. The signal strength and quality for the side reception of those channels is generally 80/94, though both numbers change a little. Another instance of the signal quality exceeding the signal strength. That's been the most noticeable change for several channels with this antenna. The old Mohu antenna was behind a large pecan tree, about 20' away. The new antenna is about 35'-40' to the west of the pecan tree, which is probably responsible for the majority of reduction in multipath interference. I can stick the Mohu on the same mast below the HD Stacker, and it would probably also decrease the multipath I experienced, but I doubt it would "stack" up to the performance I am now getting.

And there is one other thing I have noticed, but can't necessarily attribute to better reception. Based on initial observations it looks like I am getting longer range PSIP data in the Guide. I can't say this is because of the antenna, and the longer PSIP data is on one of the stations that had the worst multipath problem (NBC affiliate). Clearly PSIP data is somewhat determined by reception, probably more with signal quality than strength. But it would be very interesting indeed if at or near 100 signal quality results in better PSIP data than say, a 60 or 70 in signal quality. The big benefit of that would be that I can eliminate several dummy recordings and reclaim space for series and other Guide scheduled recordings.

Last edited by Greasemonkey; 02-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.
post #15518 of 16665 Old 02-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericko76 View Post
My CM has been a great device but I can see retiring it soon and moving over to something more stable/robust.
Of which device you buy has better quality recording, TiVo, Nvidia Shield TV, or DVR+. I don't want to invest in so many, and want to know from owner real quality issues. Did Nvidia record dual channels ok with HDHomerun ? Is your TiVo 4 or 6 channel record simultaneously ? Do you like guide in TiVo better than Silicon Dust guide? Thanks for your experience.
post #15519 of 16665 Old 02-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyard View Post
Of which device you buy has better quality recording, TiVo, Nvidia Shield TV, or DVR+. I don't want to invest in so many, and want to know from owner real quality issues. Did Nvidia record dual channels ok with HDHomerun ? Is your TiVo 4 or 6 channel record simultaneously ? Do you like guide in TiVo better than Silicon Dust guide? Thanks for your experience.
I think the 'recording quality' would depend as much on model/tuner as brand. I would get TiVo brand DVRs at this time.
Valyard likes this.
post #15520 of 16665 Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am missing recordings on my DVR+. I have multiple shows and multiple episodes that have had new episodes in the last month and have not recorded. Guide issue? Any ideas on what's going on?
post #15521 of 16665 Old 02-28-2018, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by patt0329 View Post
I am missing recordings on my DVR+. I have multiple shows and multiple episodes that have had new episodes in the last month and have not recorded. Guide issue? Any ideas on what's going on?
I don't know, but it could be Guide issues. But, I would do a Cold Boot (put DVR+ into Standby mode, the panel light will be dim blue, disconnect the power for 15 seconds, or longer if you wish, and reconnect power). The DVR+ will take a few minutes to reboot, without loosing any settings, recordings, or schedules. It may not resolve the problem, but it doesn't hurt much to try as noting is lost or harmed. Some folks perform a Cold Boot periodically just to lessen problems.
post #15522 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
PQ is the same and it's defined by content provider engineers and used equipment
post #15523 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:

Not to take us too far off topic, as I still love my CM, but not being able to buy a new one or get updates has me looking for something new. I run a very powerful Home Server with 50 TB for media. I just added a HD HomeRun Duo which has been amazing (going to return it for the 4-tuner model). I have a Plex Pass (lifetime) and they have a DVR that I have been pushing pretty hard this week and it has been amazing, Automatically cuts out the commercials. But it does feel like a beta product, and they do not have a grid guide (they say it is coming). But it does provide me a whole home DVR experience which is nice. I have a Nvidia Shield that gets very little use, I primary use my Rokus as we like the interface better. I have issues with my local NBC, mutlipath issues, and we watched "This is US" last Tuesday off the Plex DVR/HD Homerun and not one issue, while the CM recording was almost unwatchable.

I need to roll back my CM FW, (Thanks JHBrandt, Greasemonkey, and for the guide pachinko) as I have missed quite a few shows as they show "Unknown Event" or are missing the "New" flag, but a re-scan will fix them (I do a full guide refresh twice a week now until I can downgrade). I also record classic Dr Who on a local PBS and the new guide just says "local programming" and I had a buddy with CM DVR+ on older FW check and his guide shows the show and info. I am not crapping on the DVR+, my family love ours but I just worry about the future and do not think the new guide is as good. I am going to roll back but wonder how long the old guide will work.
Valyard likes this.

Last edited by jericko76; 03-01-2018 at 08:08 AM.
post #15524 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 AM

I can't seem to quote again, not enough posts. Thanks to all replies !!

Thanks, exactly What I wanted to see. i thought Jericko 76 you have TiVo too, and that one is what other readers like. TiVo (no cable roamio) is $400 no monthly fee, probably guide stability because they are owned by guide company. Simple?
Nvidia $180 then get many options, HDHOMERUN $100(+/-) WD hard drive ($100) then pay $30 per year subscription Silicon dust for DVR and guide, or Google free Channels DVR. I don't want full time computer for server Plex. I have pro laptop but take to work, and friends, and not fees able. More complicated? I hear good things about DVR+, very good things, but recent guide worries. They are on Craig's List and LetGo but NIB is $500 + or used $200.

I think I must do TiVo or I am not being reasonable or cost effective. Thanks everyone for real opinions of owners.
post #15525 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 296
With refurbished DVR+ units selling at $580, maybe CM should reissue them!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132510747665

post #15526 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I can't seem to quote again, not enough posts. Thanks to all replies !!

Thanks, exactly What I wanted to see. i thought Jericko 76 you have TiVo too, and that one is what other readers like. TiVo (no cable roamio) is $400 no monthly fee, probably guide stability because they are owned by guide company. Simple?
Nvidia $180 then get many options, HDHOMERUN $100(+/-) WD hard drive ($100) then pay $30 per year subscription Silicon dust for DVR and guide, or Google free Channels DVR. I don't want full time computer for server Plex. I have pro laptop but take to work, and friends, and not fees able. More complicated? I hear good things about DVR+, very good things, but recent guide worries. They are on Craig's List and LetGo but NIB is $500 + or used $200.

I think I must do TiVo or I am not being reasonable or cost effective. Thanks everyone for real opinions of owners.

The HD Homerun made sense to me as I already had the setup ready to support it. If one did not, it is a lot to invest in and it is far, FAR from perfect at this point. I had a Tivo OTA model awhile back, and sold it as I liked the DVR+ so much better. Tivo is a great box, and it was nice having all the streaming app built it. I admit I did not like Tivo's interface. My wife and kids were quick to adapt to the DVR+ as the interface is identical to a Cable to DirectTV DVR. Tivo has their own mindset on how you navigate the GUI (and they have ADs embedded in their guide). That said it was a rock solid box, and I would you would be happy with it.
post #15527 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Yes!! Same seller I saw on Let Go but 3 weeks past it was $500, and had several for sale.

I surely understand supply/demand and capitalism, but speculative profiting has eneasyness for me personally. This seller will make more profit on this device, than any in chain; retailer, wholesaler, Distributer, manufacturer, designer, or patent holder. Yes, he did have risk/ investment. I understand, just don't like.

I have placed order for TiVo Roamio OTA and 1 Vox mini special. Both no subscription, pre-authorized. Agent said many new apps coming soon.

Thank you
post #15528 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I surely understand supply/demand and capitalism, but speculative profiting has eneasyness for me personally. This seller will make more profit on this device, than any in chain; retailer, wholesaler, Distributer, manufacturer, designer, or patent holder. Yes, he did have risk/ investment. I understand, just don't like.
I love it! This seller took a chance, and it paid off. He could just as easily lost money if there was no market for a DVR+ at this price. Look at it this way: No one was forced to buy a DVR+ from him, and they voluntarily paid the price he asked because they felt it was a good deal. So people are willing to buy a discontinued product for almost $600, and above it's original cost, despite there being a new, under warranty "replacement" product from the same company for almost 1/3 of the price. That speaks volumes right there. I interpret that as meaning there is still a decent sized market out there for a product that focuses on the ability to watch and record OTA broadcast television. Maybe electronics manufacturers should take note of this. That said, would it be feasible for an individual or small company to cobble together the hardware for an OTA DVR and open it up to the Linux community to produce open source software that gives users the option of which flavor they want to use?
pilotart and Valyard like this.
post #15529 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I don't know, but it could be Guide issues. But, I would do a Cold Boot (put DVR+ into Standby mode, the panel light will be dim blue, disconnect the power for 15 seconds, or longer if you wish, and reconnect power). The DVR+ will take a few minutes to reboot, without loosing any settings, recordings, or schedules. It may not resolve the problem, but it doesn't hurt much to try as noting is lost or harmed. Some folks perform a Cold Boot periodically just to lessen problems.
I have done several cold boots. I have tried disconnecting the internet and using PSIP guide information and neither will pick up some of my shows that are new. Other series are recording just fine. I am kind of wishing I had not done the latest software update. How can I revert to the previous software version again?
pachinko likes this.
post #15530 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
How can I revert to the previous software version again?
I asked the same question to resolve the same issue on this page and Greasemonkey responded with everything you need. I plan to downgrade this weekend.
pachinko likes this.
post #15531 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
How can I revert to the previous software version again?
@pachinko kindly posted the instructions here. Look for the text within his post that starts with "Installing an old DVR+ Software Update". @wiscojim has kindly supplied all publicly released firmware versions here. This is the same Dropbox link that @pachinko refers to in his post.

Alternatively, some time back, ChannelMaster emailed instructions on reverting to an earlier firmware version. I've left off steps 1-4 because they mentioned how to get a firmware file from CM's site, which is not what you're after:

Ensure a USB Thumb-drive is formatted in FAT32. Other formats will be rejected.
Copy the older software update onto the Thumb-drive. It MUST be in the root directory.

Next, to the DVR+
5. The power adapter to the DVR+ is plugged in.
6. Remove/eject the external hard drive if you have one connected.
7. Remove the WIFI adaptor, if you have one connected.
8. Disconnect the Ethernet connector if being used.
9. Unplug the power from the DVR.
10. Plug the USB flash drive into a USB port on the DVR+
11. Press and hold the power button on the front of the DVR+.
12. Plug the power back in while continuing to hold the power button
a. Wait until you see the lights on the front panel go from red to blue to red and then off.
13. Once the lights go off, let go of the power button
14. Wait for the DVR+ Flash Screen to appear on your display.
a. Then immediately press the power button and hold it in 2 seconds and release.
15. A gray screen will appear.
16. Then a screen will appear that shows you the progress of the download to your DVR+
17. When the download is completed, the DVR+ will reboot.
18. When it has completed turning on/booting, you can remove the USB Flash Drive.
19. Now, if you have a wireless adaptor, you can plug that into a USB port.
a. Follow the prompts for the wireless setup.
20. If you are using Ethernet connection to your internet, you can plug that in now.
a. Follow the prompts for the wired setup

Personally, I'd follow @pachinko 's instructions. He's done it so many times he can probably recite them in his sleep. FWIW, I'm still on version 114R and I'm still getting an accurate guide, along with reliable "New" flags.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #15532 of 16665 Old 03-01-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post

Man, I love my DVR+, but not that much! Pretty sure you could get a 6-tuner Tivo with lifetime for that.

There may not be any way for CM to reissue the DVR+. Remember it's an E* device; they're at E*'s mercy, and E* is moving on to other devices like their new AirTV box.

Of course at over $500 each, even E* may reconsider the DVR+; but at that price I doubt they'd sell that many new ones (unless they rewrote the firmware to add all the goodies CM promised but never delivered )
post #15533 of 16665 Old 03-03-2018, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Posted on January 15th:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...dvr-topic.html
Since my post on above linked thread about observed battery lives of the two DVR+ Remotes, it's been one month on latest (brand new Duracell) set of AAA's.

I'm already noticing a need to more precisely aim for IR to work.
Art
Well, after a couple months of constantly weaker IR transmission strength first observed after just one month, the new Duracells have died (< 1 volt).

So maximum lifetime is less than three months. I don't want to use Eneloop rechargables (best choice for cordless phones and solar charged garden lights) because their peak voltage is so much lower than fresh Duracells at about 1.27 volts compared to 1.56 for a new Duracell.

Of course the Lithium Ion 'coin' cells are good for 3+ volts throughout their life, with a short, rapid drop at their end. So after using up my 32 Pak of Duracell Alkalines I will try these:
https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ultimate-Batteries-Longest-Lasting-High-Tech/dp/B0002DUQDQ

Says they're Lithium:
Quote:
"Energizer Ultimate Lithium is the #1 Longest-Lasting AAA Battery in high-tech devices
Leak-proof construction protects the devices you love (based on standard use)"
And they're not rechargeable.
Art
Valyard likes this.
post #15534 of 16665 Old 03-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Of course the Lithium Ion 'coin' cells are good for 3+ volts throughout their life, with a short, rapid drop at their end. So after using up my 32 Pak of Duracell Alkalines I will try these:
https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Ultimate-Batteries-Longest-Lasting-High-Tech/dp/B0002DUQDQ

Says they're Lithium:

And they're not rechargeable.
Art
I've been using the Energizer 2032BP-4's from Walmart. About $8 for a 4-pack, and they last between 4 and 6 months. But when they crap out, they really crap out. Last week they went out on me, and I had only one new one left. Popped in in and the remote started working again, but hit the store the same day and picked up a new package and replaced the other one. Didn't see the "Low Battery" indicator on the Info screen this time, either. And there was a bit of strange behavior in that after the remote had sat for a while it would turn the DVR+ on, but it would immediately shut off as soon as an image appeared on the TV. Interestingly, the TV functions on the DVR+ remote kept right on working--volume, TV power, channel, etc...
post #15535 of 16665 Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I was going to report this last week but did not and then I saw Pilotart's post.

I had to replace batteries in my enhanced remote. It had the original and cheap stock batteries and was used to program 2 DVR+ devices that are sitting next to each other in my family room. The batteries lasted 15 months! They have been replaced with quality Duracell batteries. I think they will last 18 to 24 months!
post #15536 of 16665 Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Battery life obviously depends on usage patterns. PilotArt apparently gives his remotes much more of a workout than LenL!

It's more interesting when the same person compares two different remotes. Since the person is the same, the usage is likely the same. In that context PilotArt found the batteries in his old, "flat" remote lasted longer than the ones in his new, "enhanced" remote. I suspect the enhanced remote's backlight explains much of the difference.

Not sure what the discharge curve is for the Energizer AAA lithium batteries. They're a different cathode material (iron disulfide vs manganese dioxide for the CR2032's) and that probably affects it somewhat. But they start off at a higher voltage than even alkaline batteries, so even if the discharge curve isn't as flat as the CR2032's is, the batteries should maintain a good, strong IR beam for most of their life (which in PilotArt's case would probably be about 4 months).

A remote designed to work at 3.7 volts could be powered with either one lithium-ion rechargeable cell, or three NiMH rechargeable cells in series. Unfortunately, remotes are typically designed around alkaline or coin cells instead, so they're either 3V or 6V; not a good match for rechargeable cells. Still, NiMH cells often work OK in practice, as long as the remote isn't a "learning" remote. The "learning" function in such remotes seems to require more voltage than NiMH cells provide.
pilotart likes this.
post #15537 of 16665 Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Greasemonkey is reporting for his 'flat' remote using 'coin' cell Lithium Energizer 2032BP-4's and I used to get six months life out of them (with one DVR+). Now they're used for DVR+'s 2 & 3 (because they allow "Pairing" for a specific DVR+) and I'd be surprised if they don't now last five years or more as my garage door remote's CR2032's do.

It's true that when they fail, it's without much warning, where with the enhanced on Alkaline AAA's, you get lots (months) of warning. From a need to accurately point (to work every time), on to the extra three red flashes of [off-ON] and finally a lack of keyboard lighting.

I will need to be replacing my Costco Standard Duracell's on first warning in the future. My enhanced remote does get lots of button presses, whereas my other remote's do get years from their batteries, unfortunately too often it's been leakage that makes remote do really strange things. One old Sony's "favorite" button kills the TV for a week with a single press.

My Pioneer AVR had a note with its boxed batteries (AAA's) warning about their brief life, they're still going beyond 27 months now and that's my second most often used remote.

On my third DVR+, I was looking (flat remote) for a guide refresh (only had 7 days data) and saw "135R" (it's on 115R) was available. Never had that Nag Screen and they're all on same Ethernet with all of CM's 'update' URL's blocked at my server. A cold boot reset the guide back to 14 days, but expect it's a matter of time before it's 135R or a 2 day guide. If I see a Nag Screen, it's disconnect Ethernet and Factory Reset time. Back in July 2015 when I was going through the URL blocking procedure, that removed the Nag screen. On a Samsung TV in the same situation, Factory Reset will just boot with the firmware flash and Samsung's can't be force-flashed back to earlier firmware, even on a USB.
Art
post #15538 of 16665 Old 03-04-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my third DVR+, I was looking (flat remote) for a guide refresh (only had 7 days data) and saw "135R" (it's on 115R) was available. Never had that Nag Screen and they're all on same Ethernet with all of CM's 'update' URL's blocked at my server. A cold boot reset the guide back to 14 days, but expect it's a matter of time before it's 135R or a 2 day guide. If I see a Nag Screen, it's disconnect Ethernet and Factory Reset time. Back in July 2015 when I was going through the URL blocking procedure, that removed the Nag screen.

Art
There's only one update URL (actually, host name) to block: tr50.dishaccess.tv

If any of your DVRs ever reports an update available, then that DVR must have gotten through the block somehow. There's no way it could 'know' otherwise. Something must have changed to let that DVR+ through, although it may have been a one-time fluke. I'd do a manual check for updates on that DVR+. If it reports anything but "unknown error," tr50.dishaccess.tv is no longer blocked, and you need to recheck your router settings.

Factory Reset may be a bit too drastic to cope with a nag screen, but your probably right that someday, you'll have to update in order to keep the Internet guide at all. Some folks have had lots of trouble with the 135R guide server, but I've been lucky so far.
pilotart likes this.
post #15539 of 16665 Old 03-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@Greasemonkey is reporting for his 'flat' remote using 'coin' cell Lithium Energizer 2032BP-4's and I used to get six months life out of them (with one DVR+). Now they're used for DVR+'s 2 & 3 (because they allow "Pairing" for a specific DVR+) and I'd be surprised if they don't now last five years or more as my garage door remote's CR2032's do.
I wouldn't count on anywhere near that kind of life for coin batteries in a remote. As @JHBrandt stated, "battery life obviously depends on usage patterns", and mine definitely get a lot of use. My DVR+ remote is also the main remote for powering on/off the TV, the TV volume and to switch between the TV's inputs (TV, HDMI-1, HDMI-2, etc.). I am also notorious for clicking through commercials, fast forwarding, frequent scanning through the Guide, etc. But you also have to look at the difference in size between a coin battery and a AAA battery. The AAA battery has a lot more energy storing material to work with than the coin battery. The 2032's in the key fob for my truck can last years because of the usage pattern. Same for a garage door remote. But the 2026 coin battery in the Cat Eye I use to get speed, distance and other data when riding my bicycle only lasts the summer, in part because it has an internal clock that is always drawing some power. A few years ago a local station had a news story about the life of various brands of batteries. They found that all battery brands lasted about the same, including the store brand batteries. The materials, science, engineering and construction are all pretty much the same. They also reported that keeping unused batteries in the refrigerator doesn't really extend their life that much. The main thing is to stay away from Heavy Duty batteries, as they are notorious for leaking. I have also had problems with Duracell alkaline batteries leaking, and destroying a few Maglite flashlights over the years. But I have never had a coin battery leak in any device I've used them in.
pilotart likes this.
post #15540 of 16665 Old 03-04-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's only one update URL (actually, host name) to block: tr50.dishaccess.tv

If any of your DVRs ever reports an update available, then that DVR must have gotten through the block somehow. There's no way it could 'know' otherwise. Something must have changed to let that DVR+ through, although it may have been a one-time fluke. I'd do a manual check for updates on that DVR+. If it reports anything but "unknown error," tr50.dishaccess.tv is no longer blocked, and you need to recheck your router settings.

Factory Reset may be a bit too drastic to cope with a nag screen, but your probably right that someday, you'll have to update in order to keep the Internet guide at all. Some folks have had lots of trouble with the 135R guide server, but I've been lucky so far.
That tr50.dishaccess.tv still opens "blocked" so no idea how 135R offer got through. If I get the Nag screen, I'll deal with it.

Back when first DVR+ was new, Factory Reset wasn't too bad and was only way to kill Nag screen.

Just need smart phone photos of all the setup and series screens plus a station search. Series recording's pretty light on that box.

@Greasemonkey , I do use the enhanced remote a LOT obviously and after 115R wouldn't work on newer Samsung, I lost the one button CC anyway, so the Enhanced is much more pleasant for me to use, especially with fresh Duracells.

My Third DVR+ is in my 'office' with that older Samsung doubling as a PC Monitor and since it's on 115R, I've a choice of remote types there (with and w/o CC), as I have four.
Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page