Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 519 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4181Likes

post #15541 of 16648 Old 03-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Question FW 135 Changes / Internet Guide

Hey, everyone. I hadn't visited the forum in quite a while; my search was in vain, so I'll just ask a couple of things, and forgive my ignorance:

1. Is there a list of changes and stuff w/ FW 135R posted somewhere?
  2. I'm still using 132R, so why do I still have a 14-day guide?
  3. Sometimes, for convenience, I unplug the HDD w/o going thru the menu to do it properly. Will this cause major issues at some point?

Thanks!
Joe

[Signature not found -- or just not clever enough.]

Last edited by SirCrow; 03-06-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: appearance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15542 of 16648 Old 03-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Hey, everyone. I hadn't visited the forum in quite a while; my search was in vain, so I'll just ask a couple of things, and forgive my ignorance:

1. Is there a list of changes and stuff w/ FW 135R posted somewhere?
  2. I'm still using 132R, so why do I still have a 14-day guide?
  3. Sometimes, for convenience, I unplug the HDD w/o going thru the menu to do it properly. Will this cause major issues at some point?
I think the only thing 135R does is update the server used by the Guide. If it weren't for Rovi ending its support for EPG data, 135R wouldn't have been released. You are probably still receiving Guide data because CM's contract with Rovi hasn't expired yet. But it will end one day, and like the Spanish Inquisition it will happen when you don't expect it. As for unplugging the DVR+ to reboot it, I do it all the time.
post #15543 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Guide, Daylight Saving Issue

While checking my recordings noticed that all my Sunday evening shows are 1 hour late.

I am still on 114R and I am in Arizona which doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time.

I tried a soft & hard reboot to no avail.

Is anyone else having this problem?

FYI: My T*** guide is correct & my DVRPal has never had any Daylight Saving Time issues.

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009
1 DVR+ CM7500GB16, Dec 2014
1 TiVo Roamio OTA, May 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15544 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Phoenix View Post
While checking my recordings noticed that all my Sunday evening shows are 1 hour late.

I am still on 114R and I am in Arizona which doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time.

I tried a soft & hard reboot to no avail.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Is DST turned on in your DVR+? Menu button on the remote->Settings->Time & Date->Auto Apply Daylight Savings
post #15545 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Is DST turned on in your DVR+? Menu button on the remote->Settings->Time & Date->Auto Apply Daylight Savings
Yes; my "Auto Time & Date" is ON, which in turn, turns on my "Auto Apply Daylight Savings".

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009
post #15546 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Phoenix View Post
Yes; my "Auto Time & Date" is ON, which in turn, turns on my "Auto Apply Daylight Savings".
Is your Time Zone set to Mountain or Arizona? I'm on 114R also. Selecting Arizona turns off Auto Daylight Savings.
Jim in Phoenix likes this.
post #15547 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Is your Time Zone set to Mountain or Arizona? I'm on 114R also. Selecting Arizona turns off Auto Daylight Savings.
Thank you, it was set at Mountain instead of Arizona. I changed, rebooted & now OK.

FYI: I did the setup in December 2014 and have never changed it.
I don't remember what I had set it on back then.
3 years later & I have a Daylight Savings problem.

2 DTVPal DVR, April 2009
post #15548 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2718 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
FYI: Florida is considering passed a bill that would put the state on DST year-round! Questions if it passes Gov. Scott signs it:

1. What are the odds of getting a firmware update to cover that?
  2. Assuming the answer is "zero," would Florida DVR+ owners have to lie and say they were in Canada just so they could put themselves in the Atlantic time zone during standard time?

(Digression: Given their low latitude, it would make sense for Florida to do away with the biannual clock changes. The time of sunrise just doesn't change that much in Miami. But wouldn't it have made more sense to just go on standard time year-round like AZ and HI?)
anant likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #15549 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
FYI: Florida is considering a bill that would put the state on DST year-round!
Florida is so special.

Wow! ->https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/us/fl...rnd/index.html
artisticimaging likes this.
post #15550 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Going back to remotes, I purchased one of the newer remotes (brand new) that take two AAA batteries and it doesn't turn the DVR+ on. It turn my Samsung TV on though. Haven't done any programming of the remote yet. Is there a setup that you have to do or a button you need to push first to control the DVR+. I don't see anything in the manual about it.
post #15551 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is weird. I suppose the batteries that came with it might be too old or weak. There have been reports that the DVR+ stops responding before the TV does. Have you tried another pair of batteries yet?
post #15552 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 02:49 PM

I put brand new batteries in it. I did some searching and found how to rest the remote which I'll try tonight.
post #15553 of 16648 Old 03-09-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymich View Post
Going back to remotes, I purchased one of the newer remotes (brand new) that take two AAA batteries and it doesn't turn the DVR+ on. It turn my Samsung TV on though. Haven't done any programming of the remote yet. Is there a setup that you have to do or a button you need to push first to control the DVR+. I don't see anything in the manual about it.
I suspect that your DVR+ has be paired to the "flat" remote control with a code other than 001, and since the "Enhanced" remote control that you purchased does NOT have pairing capabilities you will have to reset the DVR+ to the pairing code 001 using the "flat" remote control, following the instructions below:

1. On the "flat" remote control, simultaneously press and hold the Page Up and Page Down buttons for about 3 to 5 seconds. When accepted, the power button on the remote will glow red.
  2. Enter a 3 digit code, for example 002 (the default is 001) (for the "Enhanced" remote control 001 MUST be used). The red power light will blink as each button is pressed, and will blink a couple of times after the 3rd digit to indicate it accepted the code.
  3. Move the Remote very close to the desired DVR+, and point the remote at the IR receiver. Simultaneously press and hold the Page Up and the OK button for a few seconds until the power button on the remote control blinks red.
  4. Try the "Enhanced" remote control.
If you have a second DVR+, and it's paired with code 001, you will have to pair it to some other 3 digit code. Unfortunately, if you have multiple "Enhanced" remote controls for multiple DVR+ boxes, there will be conflicts if they are used near each other.

I'm not sure, but resetting might reset the DVR+ to 001. If it does, pair the "flat" remote control to 001 before you forget and wonder why it doesn't work a year from now.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #15554 of 16648 Old 03-10-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
FYI: Florida is considering passed a bill that would put the state on DST year-round! Questions if it passes Gov. Scott signs it:

1. What are the odds of getting a firmware update to cover that?
  2. Assuming the answer is "zero," would Florida DVR+ owners have to lie and say they were in Canada just so they could put themselves in the Atlantic time zone during standard time?

(Digression: Given their low latitude, it would make sense for Florida to do away with the biannual clock changes. The time of sunrise just doesn't change that much in Miami. But wouldn't it have made more sense to just go on standard time year-round like AZ and HI?)
In order for Florida to switch it must also be approved by the US Congress....

Given the state of congressional abilities, that may take a while....

Florida did not use DST until the energy crisis of the 1970's and then it was imposed by US Congress along with the 55 MPH Speed Limits and 85 MPH Speedometers (Corvettes even).

The variance in length of daylight through the seasons in Miami is about three hours where in New England it's closer to seven hours. Yet there's a consensus of opinion nationwide, to universally dump DST. That'll likely happen before they let Florida off the hook.

My DVR+ has "Atlantic" Time Zone, yet to deselect DST, you need to deselect "Auto-Time".
(Atlantic Standard Time is what Florida wants to use year-around, the Tourist Industry wants later Beach Sunset times.)

Makes no sense why a $10 Quartz wristwatch can be accurate within a few seconds a year, but a VCR, DVD or DVR is lucky if it doesn't lose a minute a week.
Art

Last edited by pilotart; 03-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.
post #15555 of 16648 Old 03-10-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
My DVR+ has "Atlantic" Time Zone, yet to deselect DST, you need to deselect "Auto-Time".
(Atlantic Standard Time is what Florida wants to use year-around, the Tourist Industry wants later Beach Sunset times.)

Makes no sense why a $10 Quartz wristwatch can be accurate within a few seconds a year, but a VCR, DVD or DVR is lucky if it doesn't lose a minute a week.
Art
Yes, I was thinking that FL DVR+ owners would need to go on Atlantic time when the rest of the country is on standard time, then on Eastern time when the rest of the country is on DST. (AST is the same as EDT.) I suspected the DVR+ wouldn't let you deselect DST separately, and apparently that's the case (unless you give up Internet/PSIP time completely). That's also why the firmware has a separate time zone selection for Arizona: we can't just turn DST off. If Congress assents, CM would need to put a "Florida" selection in 136R. Fat chance of that.

Your last comment is an issue that baffles me as much as you. Why can't any DVR seem to have an internal clock as accurate as a typical watch? For that matter, if WWVB is in range (which is the case over much of North America, at least at night), why can't any DVR use it to get the exact time every night? Why must we always go through the rigamarole of getting the time from the Internet or trying to average out stations' PSIP times?
post #15556 of 16648 Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 489
because a good working calendar/time chip like old Dallas in PC and CR battery will add a couple $ to total cost of such device... WWVB tuner with antenna (I'm using such in my room clocks) will cost a little more
all company usually try to squeeze out a cost of such components when it's not affect main functions and will create just little "inconvenience" for customers
PC clock need to correct any way
post #15557 of 16648 Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
In order for Florida to switch it must also be approved by the US
Art
If they upgraded every component in the box to just this extent it would massively increase the price. Hardware manufacturers are under enormous pressure to drive down component costs.

Is your DVR+ attached to the Internet? I haven't sniffed the line for traffic, but since it's just a Linux box deep down, I'd be shocked if it didn't have an NTP client built in, and that will keep time *MUCH* better than almost any self-contained clock and adds zero to the cost.
post #15558 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

it does use NTP
post #15559 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Paul210 and artisticimaging like this.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #15560 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

it would be nice and respectful for members, if you do type some words - your embedded link to YT doesn't show anything o my PC - just white rectangle
JHBrandt likes this.
post #15561 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Art
I wonder how people managed 200 years ago? Clocks were just beginning to be mass produced and watches were unheard of. We are certainly a time conscious society today, but technology has brought us to that. I, too, find it amazing that we have so many devices that cannot keep accurate time. I'll add automotive clocks and computers to the list. Computers are notoriously poor timekeepers unless they are synced to a time standard. Overall, my DVR+ keeps accurate time. I do not know if it syncs to a time server when connected to the Internet or from the PSIP data.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein
pilotart likes this.
post #15562 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richart View Post
I wonder how people managed 200 years ago? Clocks were just beginning to be mass produced and watches were unheard of. We are certainly a time conscious society today, but technology has brought us to that. I, too, find it amazing that we have so many devices that cannot keep accurate time. I'll add automotive clocks and computers to the list. Computers are notoriously poor timekeepers unless they are synced to a time standard. Overall, my DVR+ keeps accurate time. I do not know if it syncs to a time server when connected to the Internet or from the PSIP data.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein
used one of these in different cases
post #15563 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc5194 View Post
If they upgraded every component in the box to just this extent it would massively increase the price.
Straw-man argument - and vague to boot; what would it even mean to "upgrade every component to just this extent?" Nobody said anything remotely like that.

The question was, why has no DVR ever included accurate on-board timekeeping, even though most, including the DVR+, have the option of completely manual time? Why bother including an option that's useless in practice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc5194 View Post
Is your DVR+ attached to the Internet?
Perhaps you forgot (or just didn't read) the foregoing discussion. To refresh your memory:
Quote:
(Atlantic Standard Time is what Florida wants to use year-around; the Tourist Industry wants later Beach Sunset times.)

Art
So (assuming Congress agrees), if you live in Florida, soon it won't matter whether your DVR+ is connected to the Internet or not; you will have to use a manual time setting, which disables both NTP and PSIP timekeeping.

I should note that a typical lowly Mstar box could accommodate this change (although Floridians would need to set their country to "Canada" in order to select Atlantic time). Reason is, Mstar boxes leave DST setting entirely up to the user. Which reminds me....
post #15564 of 16648 Old 03-11-2018, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
it would be nice and respectful for members, if you do type some words - your embedded link to YT doesn't show anything on my PC - just white rectangle
Thanks, I didn't realize that embedded YT links did not show up for some computers.

Chicago ~ "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #15565 of 16648 Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Cool DVR+'s tactile 'click' of on/standby button

I truly thought my DVR+ 'number-one' had given up in anticipation of today's Stream+ expected delivery. Postman's come and gone w/no package, 'track' says "by 8 PM").

Never acted like this before (BTW a Cold Boot fixed it), playback and action from remote would freeze as the panel LED went out. For quite a while just a press of the [ON] of the remote restored the red LED (it was recording) until it wouldn't and recording progress according to [DVR] appeared uninterrupted.

Waiting past end of programs recording and then a 'Cold Boot' (power disconnection) restored normal operation (been a long time since cold booting, it's on a UPS). Playback of those recordings that showed "0:59:58" would end at 0:44:33 or so as they must have had interruption at the point where [ON] button failed to resume LED and function.

While playing with standby/on buttons of my other two DVR+'s, I've noticed their buttons move when you press them with an audible "click" and tactile feel of this click.

My original (33 months old now) DVR+ never had any movement, tactile feel or click in response of pressing its on/standby button. Action of control was normal, including a 'warm' boot if you held it pressed for a few seconds.
__________________________________________________ ___________----

That "<$10 wristwatch" I spoke of was a corporate "customer giveaway" from thirty years ago. I leave it constantly (never reset its time) on EDT and up until it's battery replacement time (several years) it's always accurate within a few seconds. I can mentally subtract that 'winter' hour). I enjoy wearing it for its small size, tomato logo, gold color and 'alligator' band.

I have two (gifts) of those "atomic" wall/shelf clocks that seek that WWV time signal between midnight and six AM (of their clock). It's a long way from Colorado to S. Florida and I've found just one single location within my home that delivers a reliable reception of WWV. I also have a CASIO "WATER 200M RESIST" (about $69 ten+ years ago) which I will usually select when I need to wear a wristwatch.

It not only has a permanent solar charged battery sealed within, but the WWV's automatic time-set. I put it on my WWV shelf twice a year (DST/ST Sunday mornings) and it will usually gain 10-30 seconds between those events. Prior to my retirement, when flying around the country, it would get a time-set in almost any location, every night.
Art
post #15566 of 16648 Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I suspect that your DVR+ has be paired to the "flat" remote control with a code other than 001, and since the "Enhanced" remote control that you purchased does NOT have pairing capabilities you will have to reset the DVR+ to the pairing code 001 using the "flat" remote control, following the instructions below:

1. On the "flat" remote control, simultaneously press and hold the Page Up and Page Down buttons for about 3 to 5 seconds. When accepted, the power button on the remote will glow red.
  2. Enter a 3 digit code, for example 002 (the default is 001) (for the "Enhanced" remote control 001 MUST be used). The red power light will blink as each button is pressed, and will blink a couple of times after the 3rd digit to indicate it accepted the code.
  3. Move the Remote very close to the desired DVR+, and point the remote at the IR receiver. Simultaneously press and hold the Page Up and the OK button for a few seconds until the power button on the remote control blinks red.
  4. Try the "Enhanced" remote control.
If you have a second DVR+, and it's paired with code 001, you will have to pair it to some other 3 digit code. Unfortunately, if you have multiple "Enhanced" remote controls for multiple DVR+ boxes, there will be conflicts if they are used near each other.

I'm not sure, but resetting might reset the DVR+ to 001. If it does, pair the "flat" remote control to 001 before you forget and wonder why it doesn't work a year from now.
Going back to my remote problem, I did the following and now the enhanced remote works like it should.

Hold down the Setup and Off buttons simultaneously.
The light under the Off button will flash 4 times.
Release both buttons.

I purchased the DVR+ off ebay about a month ago. After setting it up it downloaded and installed the latest firmware version. Haven't had any issues yet.
post #15567 of 16648 Old 03-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Question Unplug EDD w/o Menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I think the only thing 135R does is update the server used by the Guide. If it weren't for Rovi ending its support for EPG data, 135R wouldn't have been released. You are probably still receiving Guide data because CM's contract with Rovi hasn't expired yet. But it will end one day, and like the Spanish Inquisition it will happen when you don't expect it. As for unplugging the DVR+ to reboot it, I do it all the time.
Thanks. However, you misunderstood about the unplugging. I meant that I sometimes unplug the 1TB external hard drive without first using the menu to uninstall it. Any reason this is a bad idea?

Last edited by SirCrow; 03-12-2018 at 06:45 PM. Reason: appearance
post #15568 of 16648 Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Question Correcting a Time Lag

Recently, my DVR again fell behind by a couple minutes. This time, the fix was easy: I simply turned Auto Time & Date off and then back on. Does this method work every time? Thanks.

post #15569 of 16648 Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCrow View Post
Thanks. However, you misunderstood about the unplugging. I meant that I sometimes unplug the 1TB external hard drive without first using the menu to uninstall it. Any reason this is a bad idea?
20 years ago there would be a 5% chance of disaster if you did that. Now, not so much. For what it's worth, I've never had any kind of a USB device go four legs in the air on me when pulling the plug.
post #15570 of 16648 Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 PM

Question USB Drive Longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
20 years ago there would be a 5% chance of disaster if you did that. Now, not so much. For what it's worth, I've never had any kind of a USB device go four legs in the air on me when pulling the plug.
That's comforting, I guess. Thanks.

It may seem silly, but I don't like the HDD spinning 24/7, whether it needs to or not. And I also don't want to turn the TV on just to unplug the drive. Can anyone confirm that the Samsung UHD Video Pack USB drive does, in fact, continue spinning as long as it's connected to the DVR+? I don't trust that it's built to last under those conditions. Isn't this type of EHD meant to be connected only when needed, for transferring files and such? Thanks.

Last edited by SirCrow; 03-14-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: minor correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page