Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 525 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4231Likes

post #15721 of 16832 Old 04-26-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Then you won't miss it now that it's gone. OTOH, I have to buy a streamer now. I'll probably just get a Roku; they're cheap, run tons of apps, and the DVR+ still handles my OTA needs just fine.

Of course, once I have a Roku, I can break up with Sling TV. I went with them partly for the convenience of their app being on my DVR+, and that's no longer a factor.

Spectrum now has a new "TV Choice" offer that looks appealing. I'd only get 10 channels, but I get to choose them from a decent 64-channel menu, and it's only $22/mo. for two years. There's a 7-day free trial, so I can try them both for a while. If TV Choice sucks, I can cancel them; otherwise, I'll keep them and cancel Sling TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15722 of 16832 Old 04-26-2018, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Then you won't miss it now that it's gone. OTOH, I have to buy a streamer now. I'll probably just get a Roku; they're cheap, run tons of apps, and the DVR+ still handles my OTA needs just fine.

Of course, once I have a Roku, I can break up with Sling TV. I went with them partly for the convenience of their app being on my DVR+, and that's no longer a factor.

Spectrum now has a new "TV Choice" offer that looks appealing. I'd only get 10 channels, but I get to choose them from a decent 64-channel menu, and it's only $22/mo. for two years. There's a 7-day free trial, so I can try them both for a while. If TV Choice sucks, I can cancel them; otherwise, I'll keep them and cancel Sling TV.
Yeah, Sling was convenient because it was on the CM. I probably wouldn't have subscribed otherwise. Since it is $25 a month, I am not going to drop it.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #15723 of 16832 Old 04-26-2018, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. My subscription is a bit more than yours because I started with Sling Blue and added a couple of $5 add-on packages. Sling was still a very good deal at $35, but I've analyzed what my wife & I watch and came up with 9 channels, 8 of which are available on Spectrum TV Choice. Plus I'll get to add ESPN, which would have cost me way more on Sling because of how Sling structures their packages.

I confirmed that the DVR+'s Sling app no longer works today. It just hangs on the splash screen: "Sling: Take Back TV." I guess they decided to literally take back their TV!

I'll try to roll back to 124R and test that EZ0330 HDD dock by Sunday. Hopefully it'll work; if so we'll finally have a reliable option for those who want over 2TB on their DVR+.

It's too bad CM didn't follow through with ESPN as a subscription add-on to CMTV. (We did get ESPN as a free beta test for a short while.) Since that was the main thing missing from Sling Blue, that would've made the DVR+ a passable platform for OTT "linear" TV, at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15724 of 16832 Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

I looked into the Spectrum deal, and it's a pretty good OTT service, especially if one of the 64 channels that you want would require you to buy a more expensive package from Sling, YTTV or DTV Now. You do get some taxes added onto that service that you don't get with Sling, so expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $8 a month more. There's no DVR in that package. And you still need a Roku. I think the Spectrum deal is actually month to month, so you can cancel at any time and don't have to keep it for two years.
post #15725 of 16832 Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah Sling has a cloud DVR, but since it didn't work with the DVR+ app I never got it. I could add it now, but that would be another $5/mo, bringing my total to $40/mo. It would be nice if Spectrum had a cloud DVR, but initially Sling didn't have one either. Maybe Spectrum will add one later if the service does well, as Sling did. Edit: There is a DVR option, sort of, but most of us wouldn't like it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumy View Post
And just FYI, if a cable DVR is your thing, you can add the Spectrum DVR (which essentially just becomes cable service then) for $20/mo additional. Even better, if you have a cable card DVR (Tivo, etc.) then it's just $3/mo for the card.
So if I understand that correctly, you can get "TV Choice" either OTT or via traditional cable service; with the latter option, you can of course add a standard cable DVR, or a TiVo or HTPC with a cable card. But that doesn't help us DVR+ owners since the DVR+ is OTA only.

And you're right - the lock-in is on their end, not mine. They promise not to raise the price for 2 years, but I can still cancel at any time. Of course, if I cancel then come back, the mysterious "standard rates" would undoubtedly apply. Edit: crashdumy (quoted above) reported that the standard rates are about double the $22, so somewhat more than Sling but competitive with PS Vue, etc. Of course you get more channels with the latter, but if you don't watch them, they aren't really much of a deal. Anyway, I guess I can always switch back to Sling in 2 years, assuming they're still around....

One nice thing about the current offer that I didn't mention before is the premium package that includes HBO, Showtime, the Movie Channel, Starz, and Starz Encore, all five for $15/mo more. I think Sling charges that much just for HBO alone, so that's really tempting.
Quote:
You do get some taxes added onto that service that you don't get with Sling, so expect to pay anywhere from $3 to $8 a month more.
I'd forgotten about that unpleasant trick. Phone companies are notorious for it, but cable companies do the same thing. So the true price is probably more like $25/mo for the base package, and $20/mo more for the premium package.

I think that shouldn't be allowed - they should be required to advertise the full price excepting only sales tax, just like every other business does. But again, it is what it is.

Anyway, I'll probably wait until the May 9 deadline, then sign up. My wife is going to be out of town for a couple of weeks, so delaying will give her a few days to look at it before the 7-day free trial is up.
pilotart likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-27-2018 at 01:04 PM.
post #15726 of 16832 Old 04-27-2018, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

So if I understand that correctly, you can get "TV Choice" either OTT or via traditional cable service; with the latter option, you can of course add a standard cable DVR, or a TiVo or HTPC with a cable card.

One nice thing about the current offer that I didn't mention before is the premium package that includes HBO, Showtime, the Movie Channel, Starz, and Starz Encore, all five for $15/mo more. I think Sling charges that much just for HBO alone, so that's really tempting.
Yeah, OTT and traditional with the same 10 channels. I thought that was pretty unique. So you can basically use a roku or Xbox as a cable box without dvr + a traditional dvr cable box if you want. No other cable or satellite provider allows using streaming boxes to replace cable box fees that I've ever seen.

5 premiums for $15 is absolutely the best deal around. And for 2 years!! Most premium channel deals are 6 months or less. This is what sold me for sure.
JHBrandt and pilotart like this.
post #15727 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have to buy a streamer now. I'll probably just get a Roku; they're cheap, run tons of apps, and the DVR+ still handles my OTA needs just fine.

Picked up a Roku at Target today. It works fine; I set up all my DVR+ apps on it, including Sling. I got the Spectrum app and I'll set it up later when I'm ready to start my free trial.

But I don't want to talk about the Roku. I wanted to mention that I just realized that I'm now a channel short on my "home-brew whole-home" system. The problem is, I can only hook one device up to my RF modulator at a time: either the DVR+ or the Roku. So if I want to watch Sling (or Spectrum) I have to plug the Roku in; if I want to watch recordings, I have to plug in the DVR+. I mean, it's only an HDMI cable, but nuts. So I guess now I need an HDMI switch too, or else a more expensive RF modulator with 2 channels

I can still control both remotely, but it really was more convenient having the Sling TV app and DVR on the same box. Unfortunately at this point I know of only two options for that: the Stream+ and the AirTV Player, and neither is really adequate at the moment. The Stream+'s DVR shortcomings are well known, and the current AirTV Player is a one-tuner box. A two-tuner AirTV Player is reportedly in the works, but its OTA DVR feature won't be free. Think T**o, although I suppose it's possible that its OTA DVR feature will be enabled if you get Sling's cloud DVR. (Still not acceptable to me. I'm willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee for a guide, but not just to make the $#^@ thing work at all.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-29-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #15728 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have a problem with the DVR+ Guide. According to the "STB Health" menu option, my network connection is fine, the DVR+ says that the network is fine, but the "Last Internet Guide update" was Fri, Mar 16 - 7:26pm 2018 [103]. Since then, I only have a couple of days of data in the Guide -- presumably from the OTA (PSIP) broadcast data.

I am running 135R. It is Sunday, April 29, 1:37pm PST.

I selected "Refresh Internet Guide Data". Then I waited 10 minutes. When I looked back back at the guide, it was still unpopulated except with PSIP data. And the "Last Internet Guide update" still said Mar 16.
Menu | Settings | Technical Info | STB Health

Menu | Settings | Channel Setup | Antenna Channels | Refresh Internet Guide Data

So I pulled the plug, waiting 30 seconds, then put the plug back in. It still said that the last update was Mar 16.

So I went back and selected "Refresh Internet Guide Data". Then I waited 10 minutes. I checked the Guide but it was still only PSIP data. I looked at STB Health and it still said Mar 16.

So then I did a channel full-rescan. It found all of the same channels as before. Then Refresh Internet Guide Data. Then waited 10 minutes. Still Mar 16, and only PSIP data in the Guide.

I've seen that other folks here are having Guide update problems. Is there anything else to try? Is it a problem on my end or has CM pulled the plug on Guide data?

Thanks,

Scott
post #15729 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645824 View Post
I've seen that other folks here are having Guide update problems. Is there anything else to try? Is it a problem on my end or has CM pulled the plug on Guide data?
My guide goes out the expected 14 days, to Sunday May 15th.
post #15730 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Mine are working fine also; two running on 134R and one on 115R.

I have CM's automated update blocked, when I decide I want 135R,
I'll download and do it through USB.

The problems reported make my 'want' less and when I do,
it'll be just one unit to start (they're all on Ethernet).
Art
post #15731 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only thing I can think of to try would be to revert to 134R firmware. That would put you back on Rovi's guide servers.

If it works on 134R but not on 135R, the problem must be with CM's servers, and you should contact them.
post #15732 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
The only thing I can think of to try would be to revert to 134R firmware. That would put you back on Rovi's guide servers.

If it works on 134R but not on 135R, the problem must be with CM's servers, and you should contact them.
Thanks, I reverted back to 134R using Pachinko's instructions on his dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w9crycybi...Oj5axA6Ha?dl=0
pointed to by Greasemonkey's post 15515:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post55759790
Pachinko also has the old versions of the firmware, but I got mine from CM:
http://downloads.channelmaster.com/S...b_download.str
burned that onto a FAT32 USB stick, then followed Pachinko's step-by-step.

STB Health now confirms that I am at 134R. And correspondingly, the menu entry changed to "Last Rovi Update" and the other menu item changed to "Refresh Rovi Guide Data" (see my previous post about what the titles are in 135R).

After about 15 minutes, my Guide is once again populated out to 2 weeks. Thanks JHBrandt!

One thing to note is that PSIP isn't a replacement for the Guide. The setting to only record NEW shows doesn't work for PSIP data -- at least my stations don't broadcast that and my DVR+ wouldn't record anything set to NEW. This is what alerted me to a problem. Things set to ALL were recorded, but things set to NEW weren't being recorded when I only had PSIP data.

Thanks,

Scott

Edit: and remember to block tr50.dishaccess.tv in the router. I just got the popup asking me to upgrade to 135R. For those new: that popup will appear several times and you can select CANCEL. However, after several times, it will auto-upgrade without your permission.

Last edited by 645824; 04-29-2018 at 07:49 PM.
post #15733 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That is correct. PSIP doesn't contain enough info to determine new shows. I do wish the DVR+ would default to recording all shows when a Record New Shows event only has PSIP to work with, but it is what it is.

BTW, to make it easier to find I posted Pachinko's "Maintenance Reset" procedure at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post46216657

Finally, now that Sling is gone I decided to downgrade to 124R, in order to test out the EZ0330 HDD dock I mentioned some time ago. I don't have time to do that tonight, but I did discover something odd about the guides with 124R: While the OTA guide works fine, the CMTV guide does not work at all - nor does CMTV! All the channel numbers are there, but the names are gone, and most of the "guides" read "Unknown Event." And if you try to watch any CMTV channels, they just error out. (Intriguingly, a couple of CMTV channels, 206 and 552, show actual guide data instead of "Unknown Event." They don't work either, though.)

So that makes me think Channel Master changed both the OTA guide and CMTV guide servers with 135R, and that 135R is necessary for the CMTV guide to work, but so few folks use The Incredible Shrinking CMTV anymore that no one who remained on an earlier firmware version even noticed before now!

Another oddity I noticed was that Sling TV was still listed as channel 903. To resolve this, I did a full rescan of my OTA channels. This removed channel 903, but did not fix the CMTV portion of the guide.
post #15734 of 16832 Old 04-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
That would be the ultimate test of CM's commitment to their customers. Will they provide any help to a customer who can't receive EPG data for a product that is supposed to have a lifetime free guide, and which CM is still providing through their own servers? Or will they shrug their shoulders and suggest a factory reset (which interestingly, may actually work in this case)?

Quote:
STB Health now confirms that I am at 134R. And correspondingly, the menu entry changed to "Last Rovi Update" and the other menu item changed to "Refresh Rovi Guide Data" (see my previous post about what the titles are in 135R).

After about 15 minutes, my Guide is once again populated out to 2 weeks. Thanks JHBrandt!
If you are feeling brave and have some time to kill you might try upgrading back to 135R and see if you get different results. There is no logical reason why one customer's DVR+ won't populate the Internet guide when everyone else has no problem doing so from the same servers.

Quote:
One thing to note is that PSIP isn't a replacement for the Guide. The setting to only record NEW shows doesn't work for PSIP data -- at least my stations don't broadcast that and my DVR+ wouldn't record anything set to NEW. This is what alerted me to a problem. Things set to ALL were recorded, but things set to NEW weren't being recorded when I only had PSIP data.
I've only used PSIP for my Guide, and have never had the option to record only new episodes. For a series recording I can record a program once, or all episodes that match the criteria, which is a name match. Works OK for me, but for some programs like Nova on PBS it means I get several instances of the recording because they rerun the program several times throughout the week.
post #15735 of 16832 Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
There is no logical reason why one customer's DVR+ won't populate the Internet guide when everyone else has no problem doing so from the same servers.
True, but we've had other situations where only one or two cities quit working while the rest of the US & Canada were fine. Of course, that was back on the Rovi servers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I've only used PSIP for my Guide, and have never had the option to record only new episodes.
I think what happened is, since he normally has the Internet guide, Scott did have the option, so he did set up some "new episode" events - but then when his Internet guide went kablooey, they quit working.

Since PSIP doesn't tell you one way or the other, the logical way to handle that situation (where the Internet guide goes away for some reason) is to assume every show is "new;" the theory being, it's better to record some extra/duplicate episodes than to miss some. But E* apparently didn't program it that way.

Edit: Actually, when the "new episode" option was added, I complained loudly that CM/E* had done it wrong. What I wanted was for the DVR+ to scan the REI file and see if the upcoming episode was already recorded, then record it only if it wasn't. That way, if you miss the premiere airing of an episode, it would still record the next airing, as in your "Nova" example; but it still wouldn't record duplicates. But nobody else, including both CM/E* and other posters here, seemed to see it my way at the time.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 04-30-2018 at 10:49 AM.
post #15736 of 16832 Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Thanks, I reverted back to 134R using Pachinko's instructions on his dropbox:...
To give credit where deserved, that is @wiscojim 's dropbox, (see HERE)!
post #15737 of 16832 Old 05-01-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Lately, I've noticed an issue with the show descriptions on the CM DVR+. If I start watching a show I recorded, when I press to get the show info near the beginning of the show, it gives me the show description for the show that came on before the show I was taping. Maybe this happens because I set the default to start recording a show about two minutes before the show starts? At some point, say 5 or so minutes into the show, the show info updates and show correctly.

Anybody else seeing this?
post #15738 of 16832 Old 05-01-2018, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
Lately, I've noticed an issue with the show descriptions on the CM DVR+. If I start watching a show I recorded, when I press to get the show info near the beginning of the show, it gives me the show description for the show that came on before the show I was taping. Maybe this happens because I set the default to start recording a show about two minutes before the show starts? At some point, say 5 or so minutes into the show, the show info updates and show correctly.
I get the same thing sometimes. If you are chase playing a program, pull up the Guide and you will probably see that the program description is accurate there. Are you using the Internet guide or PSIP? I've also noticed that if I set up a manual recording I will still get the program description at some point into the program, and if the manual program spans two different programs the program description will update for both of them. But when I press the Info button while viewing the recordings list the program description is blank..
post #15739 of 16832 Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post

Anybody else seeing this?
I have seen that for as long as I have had the DVR+. You have to get a few seconds / minutes into the show before it actually updates with the recorded show's information. At first I thought it might be that I was confusing the previews of the show before the opening credits with the actual show, but it seems to work that way even on shows that don't have an extended preview segment.
post #15740 of 16832 Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That sounds normal. The Strmxxxx.log files contain the descriptions for all the shows contained in the recording. Usually that's the end of the prior show, the show you meant to record, and the beginning of the next show. And Info pulls up the description for whichever show you're in (or at least, the DVR+ thinks you're in).

I think it was one of those "too clever by half" features. It sort of makes sense on a manual recording, which could intentionally span multiple shows, but it doesn't really make much sense on a name-based recording with a minute or two of padding.
post #15741 of 16832 Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Sometimes for me a show that is in the record list will have the title of the previous show, and I will think to myself what the, where did that come from.
post #15742 of 16832 Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll try to roll back to 124R and test that EZ0330 HDD dock by Sunday. Hopefully it'll work; if so we'll finally have a reliable option for those who want over 2TB on their DVR+.
Well, I didn't quite make my Sunday deadline, but I finally got it done today. IT WORKS!!

I put a Toshiba 3TB HDD into the EZ0330 dock, set the switch to 4K sectors, hooked it up to the DVR+, and let the DVR+ format it. Then (because you literally cannot tell how much of the HDD the DVR+ used from the DVR+ itself) I turned the DVR+ off, waited for the drive access light to stop flashing, turned off the EZ0330, unhooked it, and brought it back to my PC to check the partitions.

First partition: 976 MB as usual. Second partition: 2796.3 GB. No unallocated space left!

So, I can now recommend the EZ0330 and a bare SATA HDD for those wanting over 2TB storage for their DVR+. Remember you'll need to downgrade to 124R to format any HDD over 2 TiB; other firmware versions only format 2 TiB and leave the rest unallocated. And make sure the EZ0330's switch is set to 4K sectors, or 124R will use even less than 2 TiB!

Once you format your HDD, you can upgrade your DVR+ firmware again. Speaking of which, I need to do that now, to find the minimum firmware version now required for (what's left of) CMTV, which no longer works with 124R.
post #15743 of 16832 Old 05-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, I can now recommend the EZ0330 and a bare SATA HDD for those wanting over 2TB storage for their DVR+. Remember you'll need to downgrade to 124R to format any HDD over 2 TiB; other firmware versions only format 2 TiB and leave the rest unallocated. And make sure the EZ0330's switch is set to 4K sectors, or 124R will use even less than 2 TiB!
One small step backwards for a man. One giant leap backward for mankind. Good luck Mr. Gorsky...
pilotart likes this.
post #15744 of 16832 Old 05-02-2018, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Exclamation

hehe ... I heard that before, but ... not in real life: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/H.../a11.step.html

As to the awkward procedure, I would test other simple one: connect the 3TB (or bigger) HDD after 124R formatting to Linux computer, get all key parameters [type EXT3 or EXT4 ?, precise numbers of sectors, etc] and make format/partitioning by Linux PC for similar drive. As I recall, first partition's size has a fixed value, when second taking rest of space.

Last edited by P Smith; 05-02-2018 at 10:34 PM.
post #15745 of 16832 Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting question brought up on the Stream+ thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I guess the [Stream+] guide will show the PSIP data when you land on a channel without guide data. You have to wait a short while for the Stream+ to acquire it. But the guide doesn't save the data, so each time you go to that station in the guide you have to wait a bit. A poster in my streaming thread had an issue and I think that's what's happening. It would be great if LC or CM could save that data and make it so the Stream+'s guide would continue to work even without guide data.
Cleaned up that link a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrdun View Post
Do I understand that the Stream+ acquires PSIP data?

That would make it usable in Canada as according to a previous post, Live Channels only supplies guide data for U.S. stations.
DVR+ users have long suspected the same guide data is supplied to both the S+ and DVR+ (at least since the last DVR+ firmware update). If Canada stations are excluded from the CM guide, it would affect both platforms. At first I thought it was just a Zip code issue (the Stream+ may not allow Canadian postal codes), but now I'm not so sure....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator1 View Post
Rescan with Buffalo (14201!) is better. Populates most US descriptions but not all, PBS being one of them. And no Canadian descriptions are populated after the scan. All Canadian channels but two - CBC and TVO - will populate descriptions after I preview the channel. And the description is gone when I come back in an hour.
Is this true of the DVR+ too? Are there no Canadian stations in the Internet guide?
post #15746 of 16832 Old 05-03-2018, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Interesting question brought up on the Stream+ thread:Cleaned up that link a bit.DVR+ users have long suspected the same guide data is supplied to both the S+ and DVR+ (at least since the last DVR+ firmware update). If Canada stations are excluded from the CM guide, it would affect both platforms. At first I thought it was just a Zip code issue (the Stream+ may not allow Canadian postal codes), but now I'm not so sure....Is this true of the DVR+ too? Are there no Canadian stations in the Internet guide?
The internet guide on the dvr+ display a 14 days data on all my usa and Canadians channels. Even the low power Montreal French stations.

My understanding is that the guide data on the stream+ comes from Google, not CM. Google live Channel DVR has never been launched officially in Canada. I have a Shield and few HDHomeRun and I can't get it to work. Silicondust says that Google network tuner driver is only for USA. Looks like CM has unlock something to get it work in Canada but they forgot guide data.

I don't know the source of the data (Rovi, Gracenote or something else) but Rovi and Gracenote both fully support Canada. Although Gracenote postal code database it not very good. I had to open a ticket with scheduledirect to get my postal code fixed.

Last edited by Alainl12; 05-03-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #15747 of 16832 Old 05-03-2018, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
The internet guide on the dvr+ display a 14 days data on all my usa and Canadians channels. Even the low power Montreal French stations.
Thanks. That's interesting. That would seem to imply that either the DVR+ and Stream+ aren't using the same server, or I suppose it could be that when you use a US Zip code you don't get Canadian stations (and since the Stream+ can't accept Canadian postal codes, its Canadian users are sort of screwed).

To eliminate that second possibility, we'd need to hear from someone using a US Zip code with their DVR+ who also receives some Canadian stations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alainl12 View Post
My understanding is that the guide data on the stream+ comes from Google, not CM.
Not according to the folks on the Stream+ thread. According to what I've read there, Google isn't in the guide data business. (A bit surprising to me, since it would seem more or less up their alley, but I figure the Android folks are probably right about this.) So the data probably comes from Rovi, and probably by way of a server run by CM. That's why the suspicion up to now has been that the DVR+ and Stream+ are both getting their guide data from the same CM server, and why it's so interesting to learn of any differences between the guides for the two devices.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 05-03-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #15748 of 16832 Old 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Here is some information directly from Channel Master...
Quote:
  • We decided to name the product Stream+ because it’s really a streaming device with OTA Tuners that Channel Master is promoting.
  • The OTA EPG and DVR is power by a third party app (Google Live Channels) so while the product supports EPG and DVR capability these are not features provide directly from Channel Master. Google is responsible for features requests and bugs within that particular app.
  • Today the app supports PSIP in the EPG for channels that do not have internet provided EPG.
Kelson and danlshane like this.
post #15749 of 16832 Old 05-03-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't want to get into a big argument over this, but about that second bullet point: CM is disclaiming responsibility for the Google Live Channels app (LC) on the Stream+. LC is responsible for presenting guide data to the user, so if there are problems or weaknesses in that area (and there are, but this isn't the place), it's up to Google to fix them.

It could have been worded more precisely, but I don't read it as saying the guide data itself comes from Google. (The word "directly" speaks volumes.) I know the guides for add-on apps like Pluto don't; even though Google's LC still presents the guide, the data comes from Pluto. I believe the same is true for the OTA guide info. Just as Pluto's app has a "plug-in" to feed its guide data to LC, so, I believe, does the Stream+'s OTA tuner code.

I'm not going to go through the Stream+ thread to gather up all the quotes that support that belief, but one ambiguous quote from CM isn't sufficient to call into doubt the many statements there that wherever the Stream+ OTA guide data comes from, it isn't Google. So it could very well come from a Channel Master server. And given the timing and unexpectedness of the 135R release, the most parsimonious explanation was that Channel Master had set up a new guide server for both products. (It would make little sense for CM to set up a new guide server for a just-discontinued product, and it makes even less sense now, when we know Rovi's original guide servers still work with the DVR+ five months later.)

But that said, it's certainly not completely nailed down. This new discovery about Canadian channels does make me wonder if the DVR+ and Stream+ are indeed drinking from the same trough.
post #15750 of 16832 Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finally, now that Sling is gone I decided to downgrade to 124R, in order to test out the EZ0330 HDD dock I mentioned some time ago. I don't have time to do that tonight, but I did discover something odd about the guides with 124R: While the OTA guide works fine, the CMTV guide does not work at all - nor does CMTV! All the channel numbers are there, but the names are gone, and most of the "guides" read "Unknown Event." And if you try to watch any CMTV channels, they just error out. (Intriguingly, a couple of CMTV channels, 206 and 552, show actual guide data instead of "Unknown Event." They don't work either, though.)

So that makes me think Channel Master changed both the OTA guide and CMTV guide servers with 135R, and that 135R is necessary for the CMTV guide to work, but so few folks use The Incredible Shrinking CMTV anymore that no one who remained on an earlier firmware version even noticed before now!

Another oddity I noticed was that Sling TV was still listed as channel 903. To resolve this, I did a full rescan of my OTA channels. This removed channel 903, but did not fix the CMTV portion of the guide.
Having successfully tested the EZ0330 HDD dock, I decided to re-upgrade my firmware today. And rather than going all the way back to 135R, I decided go up a step at a time, just to see what happens. So I upgraded to 132R, and surprisingly, CMTV works again! The Sling TV app is also back, of course (and of course it doesn't work, so I hid it). So CM must have updated the CMTV server with 132R, and the main guide server with 135R. I had no idea.

I'll probably go ahead and upgrade to 134R over the weekend, just to fix the red light bug and a few other bugs. Probably won't go back to 135R unless the guide quits working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page