Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 533 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4291Likes

post #15961 of 16980 Old 07-08-2018, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 514
since it's out of warranty - open a bottom cover, do visual inspection of components, next (I would do) is checking VR rails, eg base DC power lines: 5, 2.5 and 1.8/1.2 volts;
perhaps disconnect internal HDD and try boot it diskless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15962 of 16980 Old 07-08-2018, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks for the suggestions, P.Smith and artisticimaging.

I tried disconnecting the HDD, first at the disk end, and then also pulled the USB cable from the back of the DVR. Exactly the same result as before:
plug in power cable,
DVR+ logo onscreen for a while and red power light on dvr,
then both go out, and TV displays "no signal" message,
then bright blue power light flashes on/off for a while, and settles to dim blue.
So I press the power button to bring bright blue power light, and still no signal to TV even after waiting a while.

So far as opening the unit, I wouldn't know what I'm looking at/for.
post #15963 of 16980 Old 07-08-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bderoes View Post

I tried disconnecting the HDD, first at the disk end, and then also pulled the USB cable from the back of the DVR. Exactly the same result as before:
plug in power cable,
DVR+ logo onscreen for a while and red power light on dvr,
then both go out, and TV displays "no signal" message,
then bright blue power light flashes on/off for a while, and settles to dim blue.
So I press the power button to bring bright blue power light, and still no signal to TV even after waiting a while.

Forgot to say it was the external HDD I disconnected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15964 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
look for bulged capacitors (small aluminum cans) , for any sign of burning; perhaps turn it on and taste components by your finger to see if any of them is overheating; temporary open metal covers to see more components
post #15965 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
I suppose the good news is this doesn't seem to be a cable/hdmi connection problem, since I do get something (the logo) displayed on my TV. The bad news is I cannot do anything with the DVR itself because I cannot see any menus.
Agreed that it's probably not an HDMI cable issue. However, it's worth a try to swap out the cable. After that, try a different HDMI port on the TV. Also, try a different TV. Finally just for grins, try a the power cord from the other DVR+. The chances of that being the cause are pretty darn remote, but for the effort involved, it's worth a few minutes.

I have no clue if any of these suggestions will point you to the culprit. But I've learned that it's best to try the easy stuff first.
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.
post #15966 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Does the DVR+ use HDCP or whatever the "security handshake" thing is for protected content like a Roku does? I don't think it has to, but if it does because of the planned Internet Apps then it could be the HDMI cable. The logo wouldn't need the handshake but the rest of the content could.

Just a guess on my part, of course. I have had so many problems with HDMI cables, both name brand and ones from Monoprice, that I always look at the cable first.
post #15967 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Does the DVR+ use HDCP or whatever the "security handshake" thing is for protected content like a Roku does? I don't think it has to, but if it does because of the planned Internet Apps then it could be the HDMI cable. The logo wouldn't need the handshake but the rest of the content could.

Just a guess on my part, of course. I have had so many problems with HDMI cables, both name brand and ones from Monoprice, that I always look at the cable first.
HDCP handshake happened before the logo appearing; plus particular content could force it. like UHD event
post #15968 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
I've had 2 DVR+ units for long enough that both are out of warranty. I haven't been watching much TV recently, but still have them auto-recording a few programs. So every couple of weeks I power them up and delete any recordings I don't want.

About a week ago I discovered that the older unit didn't display anything, so I rebooted it (held down the power button on the unit until the light changed to bright red), and I see the DVR+ logo on my TV. After the usual reboot time, the signal to the TV was gone again, just as before the reboot.

During the intervening days I've seen the red light go on for recording a program.

I tried again today, but with no signal to the TV again, I unplugged the power cable on the back of the dvr. After waiting a bit, I plugged it back in, and watched the DVR+ logo on the TV, and then it went dark. I manually pressed the power button on the front of the unit to change it from soft blue to bright blue, but still no signal to my TV.

I suppose the good news is this doesn't seem to be a cable/hdmi connection problem, since I do get something (the logo) displayed on my TV. The bad news is I cannot do anything with the DVR itself because I cannot see any menus.

I've unplugged it to see if cooling it off for a while might help.

Any suggestions?

Did you have them connected to a high quality surge protector? If not that could be your issue.

I would also suggest if all else fails to try booting it up with a usb stick loaded with firmware of choice to see if it tries to load firmware.
pilotart likes this.
post #15969 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Did you have them connected to a high quality surge protector? If not that could be your issue.

I would also suggest if all else fails to try booting it up with a usb stick loaded with firmware of choice to see if it tries to load firmware.
Assume your Remote's batteries are fresh and strong.

To flash it with different firmware, you must perform a "maintenance reset" which is described here (search this thread from drop-down menu at top right box of this page) or on CM's website including a video. Difficult to do w/o screen reaction, but possible.

@bderoes
Quote:
".... and I see the DVR+ logo on my TV. After the usual reboot time, the signal to the TV was gone again, just as before the reboot.
<....>
The bad news is I cannot do anything with the DVR itself because I cannot see any menus."
I had similar symptoms after upgrading to a 2015 TV, except that there was feed (OTA or playback on screen) but no menu or feedback from remote to control anything.

I was still running the original 115R firmware and the fix was to flash with a more recent firmware. I went to 132R and issue had been the TV's change to HDMI-2. Everything was fine when connected to the older TV.
Art
Arenal04 likes this.
post #15970 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

Thanks.
I do have both DVR+'s connected to the same surge protector. How high quality it is, not sure.

I heard back from CS, and they wanted me to recover the software back to 124R (and then go forward again). I did the recovery process, and saw all the progress screens, but when it finally rebooted and I turned it back on again, still the "no signal" message from my TV. I tried loading 135R on the USB, and inserted that while the dvr was on (bright blue power light), but didn't see any sustained activity on the USB stick to make me believe that it was updating. Also tried reboot (holding power button until red/blue/red power lights and logo onscreen), but still no sustained activity on USB. (I say "sustained" because I do see the lights flash on the USB for a short time.)

I might actually open the unit at some point (per P Smith's suggestion).
post #15971 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:

I heard back from CS, and they wanted me to recover the software back to 124R (and then go forward again). I did the recovery process, and saw all the progress screens, but when it finally rebooted and I turned it back on again, still the "no signal" message from my TV. I tried loading 135R on the USB, and inserted that while the dvr was on (bright blue power light), but didn't see any sustained activity on the USB stick to make me believe that it was updating. Also tried reboot (holding power button until red/blue/red power lights and logo onscreen), but still no sustained activity on USB. (I say "sustained" because I do see the lights flash on the USB for a short time.) ...
Is the TV 4K? If so, DVR+ version 132R (or later) is required. Read about the problem HERE.

Since you’re having trouble getting 135R to install using the “automatic” methods you’ve described, try installing it using the same “recovery process” (actually that’s a “Maintenance Reset” procedure) that you used for 124R. For completeness, the USB Thumbdrive MUST be formatted FAT32, and ONLY one update file should be in the root directory.
JHBrandt and Arenal04 like this.
post #15972 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
Is the TV 4K? If so, DVR+ version 132R (or later) is required. Read about the problem HERE.

Since you’re having trouble getting 135R to install using the “automatic” methods you’ve described, try installing it using the same “recovery process” (actually that’s a “Maintenance Reset” procedure) that you used for 124R. For completeness, the USB Thumbdrive MUST be formatted FAT32, and ONLY one update file should be in the root directory.
@bderoes , click here for complete instructions for the Maintenance Reset, as well as where to get all of the different versions of firmware. As always, thanks, @pachinko !!
pachinko likes this.
post #15973 of 16980 Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post

Thanks guys.
No, I don't have a 4K TV, nor is anything new about hardware or setup.

I was able to install 135R using the "recovery" procedure. No change regarding my original symptom: "no signal" message to TV from this unit (except during reboot & recovery processes).

I finally tried Arenal04's suggestion of switching the HDMI and power cables. You win the prize! Switching cables between the 2 dvr's transferred the symptom to the second DVR+. I did have a spare cable, swapped out the bad one, both DVR's give signal to the tv now!

VERY counterintuitive that SOME signal would make it through to the TV, but not all. Then again, the logo and the recovery displays are much less data than a moving tv image.

Thank you so much!

Off to eWaste for that cable.
pachinko and pilotart like this.
post #15974 of 16980 Old 07-10-2018, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, was it HDMI cable or power supply ["cable"] ?
post #15975 of 16980 Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
So, was it HDMI cable or power supply ["cable"] ?
'Twas the official Channel Master HDMI 15' cable.
Replaced it with a 3' Amazon Basic.
post #15976 of 16980 Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
'Twas the official Channel Master HDMI 15' cable.
Replaced it with a 3' Amazon Basic.
good, much simple then getting new power supple/"cable"
the HDMI cables always do better when you use shortest
pilotart likes this.
post #15977 of 16980 Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM

Is anybody else who is on Firmware 134R or earlier having problems with their Rovi guide? I'm still on 114R. My Last Rovi Update says Fri Jul 13 08:44AM 2018 [001]. Starting at Fri July 27 6:00AM, all shows are listed as Unknown Events. I haven't tried changing my ZIP code or doing a reboot yet. Last time there was trouble with the Rovi guide, initiating a download of a new guide resulted in losing what guide I still had. So I'm holding off on doing so for now.
post #15978 of 16980 Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Until others on earlier firmware (who use Internet) chime in - one point to consider: Wasn't this known that it would happen? That Rovi data would eventually end and only people on 135R (which changed the guide server location) would still have access to an internet guide? Perhaps this has finally happened and old Rovi data now has the plug pulled.
post #15979 of 16980 Old 07-23-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
Wasn't this known that it would happen? That Rovi data would eventually end and only people on 135R (which changed the guide server location) would still have access to an internet guide? Perhaps this has finally happened and old Rovi data now has the plug pulled.
First thing I thought of. That's why I asked for the experience of people who are on 134R or earlier. Once I have to upgrade to 135R, I will. But until then, I'm happy with 114R. I've become very familiar with the functions the colored buttons perform.
post #15980 of 16980 Old 07-23-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
I'm on 134R. Last I checked it was working, but let me recheck tonight. It's possible they disabled it over the weekend. I'll post back either way.

I have had the same thing happen when my Internet connection dropped and I didn't realize it. So make sure to double-check that in settings.
post #15981 of 16980 Old 07-23-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenal04 View Post
Is anybody else who is on Firmware 134R or earlier having problems with their Rovi guide? I'm still on 114R. My Last Rovi Update says Fri Jul 13 08:44AM 2018 [001]. Starting at Fri July 27 6:00AM, all shows are listed as Unknown Events. I haven't tried changing my ZIP code or doing a reboot yet. Last time there was trouble with the Rovi guide, initiating a download of a new guide resulted in losing what guide I still had. So I'm holding off on doing so for now.
I just checked and my guide is out to August 6 (14 days). The DVR+ is running 124R.
post #15982 of 16980 Old 07-23-2018, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My guide worked with 124R, but CMTV didn't.

Edit: I just confirmed that my guide goes out to Sat., Aug. 4, so the Rovi guide is still working with 134R.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-23-2018 at 05:42 PM.
post #15983 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 07:35 AM

After reading the responses, I did a cold reboot, which did the trick. I've now got a Rovi guide to August 6, and the Last Rovi Update is today. Thanks much to everyone!

It was interesting that I had 2 shows set to Record New Episodes. One of them populated correctly. The second should have populated 2 episodes, but contained only 1. Maybe because they were back-to-back?? Maybe because both episodes were set to record before the reboot?? Unknown. I deleted the series and recreated it. It then contained both episodes.

Thanks again to everyone.
post #15984 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Date and time. I have a DVR+ at my parents' home that isn't connected to the internet. Over the past month or so, the beginnings of shows were getting cut off. I kept increasing the early start times in the series options and then from the DVR recording menu, without any improvement. The automatic time, seems to be about 2 minutes late. I thought PISP provided the time, but after several attempts at setting the automatic time, it remained two minutes late. I gave up and set the time manually. Is the automatic time dependent on an internet connection?
post #15985 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypirate View Post
Date and time. I have a DVR+ at my parents' home that isn't connected to the internet. Over the past month or so, the beginnings of shows were getting cut off. I kept increasing the early start times in the series options and then from the DVR recording menu, without any improvement. The automatic time, seems to be about 2 minutes late. I thought PISP provided the time, but after several attempts at setting the automatic time, it remained two minutes late. I gave up and set the time manually. Is the automatic time dependent on an internet connection?
No Internet required for PSIP auto time and date. Two minutes seems like a long time. Have you tried doing a cold reboot when it is set to auto time? My time is usually within 20 seconds on either side of fast/slow, and the time is reset immediately on reboot. I've also found that my time seems to be more accurate when the DVR+ is set to a major network channel when it is powered off.
skypirate likes this.
post #15986 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

PSIP time from some stations can be horribly inaccurate. One of the stations in my area can be anywhere from 5 minutes slow to 5 minutes fast ... or anywhere in between. You never know what you are going to get. Another station is rock-solid.
skypirate likes this.
post #15987 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherberg View Post
PSIP time from some stations can be horribly inaccurate. One of the stations in my area can be anywhere from 5 minutes slow to 5 minutes fast ... or anywhere in between. You never know what you are going to get. Another station is rock-solid.
That's been my experience with the DVR+ and LP stations. On the other hand, using my cell phone (which is always accurate to within a fraction of a second) I've noticed that some stations can be several seconds early or late when starting a program. Slightly late is something I can understand, as technical glitches do happen. But early should never be the case. It is more likely to upset viewers to miss the opening of a program, and it's easy to show a station logo for a few seconds to fill the time. The time on my Philips DVDR 357H can be set either manually or using the "Auto Clock Setting", which has the options of "Off", "Auto" and "Manual". Set to "Auto", the unit is supposed to find a PBS station on its own and set the time. Setting it to "Manual" gives you the option of choosing the PBS station. The thing that makes all this moot however, is that the "Auto Clock Setting" only works with analog channels. Kind of dumb in my opinion, since the tuners are both analog and digital, albeit standard definition.
skypirate likes this.
post #15988 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

I used to email the station engineer about it, but since it's a satellite station the actual engineer is in a completely different town with no on-site presence at the station. It would be fixed for about a day, and then would just go back to what it was. I don't imagine it matters to most people. With cable boxes and such - I imagine the people in their entire viewing area that care about the time in the PSIP can probably be counted on one hand.

It doesn't really bother me much now - as I just overpad both start and end times. Since the only things I really record now-a-days are the things I can't stream like my wife's daily chat shows ... and I have to edit those files anyway to remove the commercials before I put them into Plex for my wife (a process I've brought down to a 5 minute timeline now) ... I just don't care much about the quality of the PSIP time and gave up emailing about it especially since it only results in a single-day relief. The station engineer of the master station is probably happier too. :-)
skypirate likes this.
post #15989 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try them on the next visit. It was something where I kept padding the start time and it seemed like the results were getting worse. As the recordings got close to missing the entire intro, I finally noticed the time was off.
post #15990 of 16980 Old 07-24-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
No Internet required for PSIP auto time and date. Two minutes seems like a long time. Have you tried doing a cold reboot when it is set to auto time? My time is usually within 20 seconds on either side of fast/slow, and the time is reset immediately on reboot. I've also found that my time seems to be more accurate when the DVR+ is set to a major network channel when it is powered off.
One other thing to try. (This sounds ridiculous, but works for the DTVPal, and we know E* reused some code from that box.) Do a warm boot (hold down the power button until the DVR+ reboots), then as soon as it comes back up, do another warm boot!
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page