Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 535 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4251Likes

post #16021 of 16896 Old 08-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I guess it was a 'never assume anything' situation. Having two tuners, I thought the DVR+ could record two same channel, back-to-back programs and start early with an overlap. I tried ever manner of starting two and three minutes early, then I noticed that the recording durations were staying the same, just under and hour. Apparently, in this same channel recording scenario, the DVR+ defaults to recording on time with no early starts. Recording two back-to-back programs on different channels works fine.

So, any programs to wake the hard drive from sleep mode, should probably be on a different channel, if you intend to start a recording early.

Last edited by skypirate; 08-06-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 16896 Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
I discovered that years ago: the DVR+ won't make overlapping recordings on the same channel, even if both tuners are available. I tried every trick I could think of to get around it; it just won't do it.

Very annoying when you want to record back-to-back shows on the same channel (as during marathons); it leaves you with no way to pad recordings in case the DVR+ clock doesn't agree with the broadcaster's clock. For those situations, I usually fall back to my PC with Windows Media Center. (WMC has its own annoyance in this regard; to force it to use multiple tuners and keep the padding, you need to specify 10 minutes of padding; otherwise, WMC does the same thing! But at least it's possible.)
skypirate likes this.
post #16023 of 16896 Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

134R Rovi guide: is the end near?

I'm on firmware version 134R and noticed something odd about my guide today: it only goes out one week instead of two.

I have Internet connectivity, and the guide does seem to be updating (last update was yesterday evening); it just doesn't go out as far as it used to.

I'd like to hear from other 134R users as well as 135R users. Have any of your guides gotten shorter? Is it everyone, just 134R, or just me?

Edit: Never mind - I just updated and now my guide goes out two weeks again. I don't even pretend to understand why yesterday's update was only one week. (Well, almost: The Saturday two weeks from today cuts off at 6 AM. But it's close enough to a full two weeks for me.)

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-18-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16024 of 16896 Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I love these forums! You can ask a question and get an answer right away from the most unexpected places!
Paul210 likes this.
post #16025 of 16896 Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I thought I'd come back this one last time (probably) and post a final (probably) update on our transition from the DVR+ to Silicon Dust HDHomeRun.

In the end it turned out to be a lot more expensive than I'd projected: $690 for the "minimal" hardware. Another $430 in improvements to get us 5.1 DD, streaming devices on the other two TVs, a spare V2 FTV box, a UPS for the NAS hosting the DVR server, client apps, etc. (I did not care for the native HDHR software, so I bought Channels apps for everything and we're subscribed to their DVR service. Spendy, but it all works much more nicely.)

The "minimal" hardware could have been less expensive by $150-$200 if I'd wanted to end up with little more than what the DVR+ gave us. But I was looking for a significant upgrade all around. Once I started down that road it got a bit out of hand

So, a lot more expensive, but we now have solid OTA TV on all TVs and mobile devices, including remotely. DVR'd content the same. (Watched on my iPad something I'd recorded the night before while waiting for an X-Ray in the hospital waiting room.)

Other than buying a 2nd drive for the NAS, for RAID 1: It's done. I think we're now ready to retire the DVR+. (I don't think it's been turned on but once, maybe twice, in the last couple weeks--when my wife wanted to watch something recorded while I was doing something to the new system or that was recorded before the new system was in.)

I guess I'll fire up pachinko's DVR+ Lister to save the stuff off the DVR+'s drive. Maybe someday the HDHR DVR software devs will give us a way to import content. In the meantime I can fire up a media server on the NAS and use VLC, I suppose.

As an aside: The Silicon Dust people just announced a streaming package for the HDHR OTA devices that includes, I dunno, three dozen or so (?) channels. They're still working the bugs out, but it looks a lot like what E*/CM tried to do with the DVR+ and bungled. One cool thing about the SD HDHR package: All the channels will be DVR-able. And they'll work with the Channels, Plex, etc. software.

So that's it... I guess.
post #16026 of 16896 Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
I thought I'd come back this one last time (probably) and post a final (probably) update on our transition from the DVR+ to Silicon Dust HDHomeRun.

In the end it turned out to be a lot more expensive than I'd projected: $690 for the "minimal" hardware. Another $430 in improvements to get us 5.1 DD, streaming devices on the other two TVs, a spare V2 FTV box, a UPS for the NAS hosting the DVR server, client apps, etc. (I did not care for the native HDHR software, so I bought Channels apps for everything and we're subscribed to their DVR service. Spendy, but it all works much more nicely.)
Well, to get close to what you have with the DVR+ would have cost that much - three DVR+ for the TVs would run about $600 at $199 and then you wouldn't have the other streaming options you want. And your hardware cost is still less than a year's average cable subscription. The Channels app DVR is a $35 a year subscription, isn't it? So that's in there, but it's pretty minimal ongoing cost if it does what you want.
post #16027 of 16896 Old 08-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Well, to get close to what you have with the DVR+ would have cost that much - three DVR+ for the TVs would run about $600 at $199 and then you wouldn't have the other streaming options you want.
We didn't really need DVR on the other two TVs. (There will actually end-up being 4-5, total, by the time I finish remodelling the basement.) What we did need was good TV reception. We're in a challenging spot. And the DVR+s wouldn't have helped with that. It's the networked tuner that's the thing, there.

And, as you noted: All the other streaming options we got in the bargain. So, yeah: It's a lot more expensive, but it provides a lot more.

That being said: CM would've been wise, IMO, to have purchased the DVR+ from E* and built on it.

Quote:
And your hardware cost is still less than a year's average cable subscription.
Actually worked out to about a two-year break even with basic cable or satellite.

Quote:
The Channels app DVR is a $35 a year subscription, isn't it? So that's in there, but it's pretty minimal ongoing cost if it does what you want.
It is, but SD's client apps weren't working for us, so I switched us up to the Channels suite. That's $80/year. Still minimal, compared to subscription TV. And, with the NAS I upgraded to, to give us hardware transcoding, we got remote access.
post #16028 of 16896 Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Channel master cm7500 dead

Looks like my 7500 shot craps. Worked fine the other day then nothing no signal, no sound. Did a reboot by unplugging power cord overnight without success, then applied latest update with thumb drive, I guess it worked, blue light returned after reboot but still no signal. Tried changing cables no luck. Its about 4 or 5 years old. Thinking about the new Stream+ version but now worried about reliability.
Any suggestions on things I haven't tried?

What would be a good replacement. Just need something to watch off air and record programs. Thanks.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
DirectTv Now Streaming Box (Beta), Phillips Blu-Ray 7502
post #16029 of 16896 Old 08-22-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This has probably been brought up before in this thread, but I have noticed recently that the Channel Master DVR's tuner is of a much lower quality than the OTA tuner in my Samsung UltraHDTV. I take my antenna signal and use a Y coax at the back of the DVR and the TV to split the signal to both. The TV gets stations with no problems and stable pictures on the same channels that the DVR doesn't.

And more recently, the DVR again lost channel 7. When that happens, I end up doing a total rescan and it comes back. But this can be annoying if I ever miss some program on that channel.
post #16030 of 16896 Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 134
What is a "Y coax"? Do you mean a coax splitter like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
I take my antenna signal and use a Y coax at the back of the DVR and the TV to split the signal to both.

Last edited by frank70; 08-22-2018 at 07:45 PM.
post #16031 of 16896 Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler52 View Post
Looks like my 7500 shot craps. Worked fine the other day then nothing no signal, no sound. Did a reboot by unplugging power cord overnight without success, then applied latest update with thumb drive, I guess it worked, blue light returned after reboot but still no signal.

What would be a good replacement. Just need something to watch off air and record programs. Thanks.
You could try to pick up another DVR+ on eBay; they usually don't come cheap, though.

If your needs are simple, you could pick up a one-tuner HomeWorx or iView recorder for $35. You'll also need a HDD, but you could reformat the one from your DVR+. The HomeWorx & iView use a Windows NTFS file system instead of the ext4 file system used by the DVR+.

The AirTV Player is a step up from the cheap boxes. Still one tuner, but runs Android TV like the Stream+. Its "killer app" is a Sling TV app that integrates OTA channels with Sling TV's streaming channels.

Most DVR+ owners haven't been happy with the Stream+'s DVR features. But if you're willing to spend more, you can now pair a Stream+ with one of SiliconDust's newer HDHomeRun models. SD even has a DVR app for it which is better than the Stream+'s built-in DVR. Unfortunately it requires a subscription, but it's pretty cheap ($35/year, or under $3/month). Check the Stream+ thread for details.
post #16032 of 16896 Old 08-22-2018, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
This has probably been brought up before in this thread, but I have noticed recently that the Channel Master DVR's tuner is of a much lower quality than the OTA tuner in my Samsung UltraHDTV. I take my antenna signal and use a Y coax at the back of the DVR and the TV to split the signal to both. The TV gets stations with no problems and stable pictures on the same channels that the DVR doesn't.
Yes, it has, and you're right for the most part. The DVR+ tuners don't work as well as those in Samsung TVs. It's not so much a matter of generically "lower quality," though, as an inability to handle multipath interference very well.

Depending on your environment, you may be able to reduce multipath interference enough that your DVR+ performs as well as your Samsung. Basically the process involves working with, and/ possibly replacing, your TV antenna. One of us (Greasemonkey) made good improvements in his reception this way.

But there are also cases where it's just not practical to reduce multipath enough to help. Another of us (Criggs) found himself in this situation. So you may have to admit defeat and look for another DVR solution. See my last post for some suggestions if it comes to that.

If interested, start a thread in the HDTV Technical forum. Make sure to post a link to your TVFool.com report so the folks there know what you're dealing with. (Don't worry if your TVFool report is missing some of your stations; that's normal these days.)
post #16033 of 16896 Old 08-23-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
What is a "Y coax"? Do you mean a coax splitter like this?
Yes.
post #16034 of 16896 Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You could try to pick up another DVR+ on eBay; they usually don't come cheap, though.

If your needs are simple, you could pick up a one-tuner HomeWorx or iView recorder for $35. You'll also need a HDD, but you could reformat the one from your DVR+. The HomeWorx & iView use a Windows NTFS file system instead of the ext4 file system used by the DVR+.

The AirTV Player is a step up from the cheap boxes. Still one tuner, but runs Android TV like the Stream+. Its "killer app" is a Sling TV app that integrates OTA channels with Sling TV's streaming channels.

Most DVR+ owners haven't been happy with the Stream+'s DVR features. But if you're willing to spend more, you can now pair a Stream+ with one of SiliconDust's newer HDHomeRun models. SD even has a DVR app for it which is better than the Stream+'s built-in DVR. Unfortunately it requires a subscription, but it's pretty cheap ($35/year, or under $3/month). Check the Stream+ thread for details.
Thanks for the response, I will check out your suggestions.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
post #16035 of 16896 Old 08-23-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Looks like my 7500 shot craps. Worked fine the other day then nothing no signal, no sound. Did a reboot by unplugging power cord overnight without success, then applied latest update with thumb drive, I guess it worked, blue light returned after reboot but still no signal. Tried changing cables no luck. Its about 4 or 5 years old. Thinking about the new Stream+ version but now worried about reliability.

Can you be more specific as to what cables you changed?
post #16036 of 16896 Old 08-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Can you be more specific as to what cables you changed?
Hdmi.

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
post #16037 of 16896 Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 506
I would check all other video outputs ...
post #16038 of 16896 Old 08-23-2018, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 3433
Quote:
I discovered that years ago: the DVR+ won't make overlapping recordings on the same channel, even if both tuners are available. I tried every trick I could think of to get around it; it just won't do it.

Very annoying when you want to record back-to-back shows on the same channel (as during marathons); it leaves you with no way to pad recordings in case the DVR+ clock doesn't agree with the broadcaster's clock. For those situations, I usually fall back to my PC with Windows Media Center. (WMC has its own annoyance in this regard; to force it to use multiple tuners and keep the padding, you need to specify 10 minutes of padding; otherwise, WMC does the same thing! But at least it's possible.)
DVR + is doing what most DVR's have done with overlapping channels over the years, the software in DVR's just isn't sophisticated enough to pull off overlapping on the same channel. The idea has always been just use another tuner. Some of the cloud dvr's work the same way, if a recording is padded they are all treated separately even if you have three programs in row. The best solution for the problem is a four tuner ota dvr (tivo bolt for example) two tuners can easily flip flop for marathons, and you still have two left for other things. I think at some point it will be an AI based software DVR that will look at our recording habits and be able to figure this out and get us more what we want. Don't be surprised if it's cloud based.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #16039 of 16896 Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you tried a different HDMI input on your TV? This is pretty remote, but you could also try unplugging the power cord from the TV, wait a few minutes, then plug the TV back in. Or even try a different TV.

Last edited by Arenal04; 08-24-2018 at 08:44 AM.
post #16040 of 16896 Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I was looking to replace a DVR+ as inexpensively as possible, I'd probably take a close look at the Tablo Dual Lite and something with which to stream from it. (About $200, plus the cost of a USB drive.) Here's their "What You Need" page for the product: Tablo Dual Lite - What You Need

N.B.: I have no experience with this product. I have not researched it. When I was looking to replace our DVR+ I found Tablo did not support Digital Dolby (looks like it does now) and the feedback I got on their tuner performance was "meh"--much like the DVR+'s.

Next least expensive option, and the minimum way I'd go, would perhaps be a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Connect Duo, WD MyCloud Personal and an Amazon Fire TV pendant. (You're looking at over $400 for that combination, though.)

Our DVR+ will eventually wind up on eBay I imagine. I just have to get around to it
post #16041 of 16896 Old 08-24-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
DVR + is doing what most DVR's have done with overlapping channels over the years, the software in DVR's just isn't sophisticated enough to pull off overlapping on the same channel. The idea has always been just use another tuner.
To be clear, the DVR+ won't even let you just use another tuner in this instance. The padding between back-to-back recordings on the same channel is dropped even if the other tuner is free.

The old DTVPal/CM-7000Pal works the way you describe: if the second tuner is free, padding on back-to-back recordings is preserved by using both tuners; if the other tuner isn't free, the padding is dropped so that the shows can still be recorded with the one remaining tuner.

Windows Media Center drops the padding unless it's at least 10 (!) minutes, in which case it'll use two tuners. But the DVR+ always drops the padding regardless. (You can't specify 10 minutes of padding, even if that would work.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
The best solution for the problem is a four tuner ota dvr (tivo bolt for example) two tuners can easily flip flop for marathons, and you still have two left for other things.
I don't know if that's the "best" solution, but it's pretty close to the only solution available to end-users who don't write their own DVR software.
post #16042 of 16896 Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
If I was looking to replace a DVR+ as inexpensively as possible, I'd probably take a close look at the Tablo Dual Lite and something with which to stream from it. (About $200, plus the cost of a USB drive.) Here's their "What You Need" page for the product: Tablo Dual Lite - What You Need

N.B.: I have no experience with this product. I have not researched it. When I was looking to replace our DVR+ I found Tablo did not support Digital Dolby (looks like it does now) and the feedback I got on their tuner performance was "meh"--much like the DVR+'s.

Next least expensive option, and the minimum way I'd go, would perhaps be a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Connect Duo, WD MyCloud Personal and an Amazon Fire TV pendant. (You're looking at over $400 for that combination, though.)

Our DVR+ will eventually wind up on eBay I imagine. I just have to get around to it
Thanks for all the replies. I just found a spare certified premium HDMI cable I forgot about and plugged it into the Channel Master and Jackpot it worked!

LG OLED 55C7
Denon AVR-X2300
Apple TV 4K
Channel Master OTA DVR
post #16043 of 16896 Old 09-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Over the last year or more I noticed I had to cycle power to my DVR+ as it seems to have problems after My attached USB would get above 25%. When I would delete shows off the USB via the DVR+ it would not completely free the usage so the usage indicator might go down a little but would quickly climb. Cycling power seemed to do the trick. To cycle power I would unplug the DVR+.

I just purchased a Wemo mini plug and can now cycle the DVR+ without having to get on the floor and reach to the back of my stereo closet.
I can cycle the power via my android phone and the Wemo app or through my remote, a NEEO.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #16044 of 16896 Old 09-03-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

we discuss it - fsck run during cold reboot, it will check HDD metadata and will recover data/clean errors
post #16045 of 16896 Old 09-03-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rebooting the DVR+ does a Linux fsck (file system check), I think followed by deleting anything that winds up in the lost+found directories. That's probably why it reclaims your lost storage.

I think you can do the same thing from the DVR menu: select DVR / DVR Setup / Check Disk. But of course there are other reasons to reboot your DVR+ from time to time, so you may prefer rebooting to the Check Disk function.
post #16046 of 16896 Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

yeah - memory leakage
post #16047 of 16896 Old 09-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Even with the DVR+ issues I would really miss it if if died as it is my primary source for TV watching.
artisticimaging and anant like this.

Sony XBR55A1E
post #16048 of 16896 Old 09-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeegan View Post
Even with the DVR+ issues I would really miss it if if died as it is my primary source for TV watching.
You might consider beginning to search for a suitable replacement. They will eventually turn off the guide for the DVR+.

Re: Your disk issues: Sounds like it may be failing. Since something like a 2TB WD Elements USB drive is only about $60, you may wish to think about replacing it.
post #16049 of 16896 Old 09-06-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They will eventually turn off the guide for the DVR+.
But the nice thing is, when that day comes, the DVR+ will continue working, with a PSIP-provided guide. Unlike, say, TiVo* or the Stream+, the DVR+ does not require an Internet connection to work.

*Technically, I think a TiVo with lifetime will also work without Internet, although eventually you'd run out of guide and have to record everything by date/time, VCR-style (TiVo lacks a PSIP fallback).
post #16050 of 16896 Old 09-06-2018, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
*Technically, I think a TiVo with lifetime will also work without Internet, although eventually you'd run out of guide and have to record everything by date/time, VCR-style (TiVo lacks a PSIP fallback).
Like my old Sony TV, we can hope that despite the lack of a guide, an internet clock will still be supplied. But with no clock, drift will be an issue. Eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page