Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread - Page 536 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4221Likes

post #16051 of 16798 Old 09-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
But the nice thing is, when that day comes, the DVR+ will continue working, with a PSIP-provided guide.
Yes, but that would really suck as most stations only provide minimal data. Only 7 of my 24 channels have guide info 24 or more hours ahead. The longest are Fox that goes out 32 hours, and PBS goes out 72. If you plan to go out of town you would need an online guide like titantv.com and then program the DVR+ by time slots like a 40 year old VCR (and my DTVPalDVRs). At least you will still be able to setup series recordings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16052 of 16798 Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I think "IT" finally happened to me. (...and yes it's just as scary as that stupid clown!)

I'm still on the old 114R version (no comments please...I really like how it works) and right after September 1st I noticed my guide was not updating. I have had this happen multiple times before so I didn't really freak out. However, this afternoon I decided to do a warm boot and I lost the 5 days of guide that was on there before the reboot. What I noticed right away was the channel icons were not updating like they normally do. So I've gone around the horn changing the channel to every channel to update the PSIP data. Some are showing 3 days out now and some are only showing 8 hours out, but none of the channels have updated their icons.

I knew that Channel Master's marketing wouldn't prove true. I know I can update the firmware, but really how long is that going to last until they get rid of the guide and their support for the DVR+ anyway? What ever happened to making a product and supporting it for life? Sorry for the side comments....I really hate change!
post #16053 of 16798 Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
But the nice thing is, when that day comes, the DVR+ will continue working, with a PSIP-provided guide.
Unless I'm mistaken, PSIP data can be as little as only 48 hours, though, can it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Like my old Sony TV, we can hope that despite the lack of a guide, an internet clock will still be supplied. But with no clock, drift will be an issue. Eventually.
Hmmm... Yeah, but drift, shmift: Power glitches. Hadn't thought about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16054 of 16798 Old 09-06-2018, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, PSIP data can be as little as only 48 hours, though, can it not?
See the above post 16051 .

SEMIJim likes this.
post #16055 of 16798 Old 09-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSounder View Post
I think "IT" finally happened to me. (...and yes it's just as scary as that stupid clown!)

I'm still on the old 114R version (no comments please...I really like how it works) and right after September 1st I noticed my guide was not updating. I have had this happen multiple times before so I didn't really freak out. However, this afternoon I decided to do a warm boot and I lost the 5 days of guide that was on there before the reboot. What I noticed right away was the channel icons were not updating like they normally do. So I've gone around the horn changing the channel to every channel to update the PSIP data. Some are showing 3 days out now and some are only showing 8 hours out, but none of the channels have updated their icons.

I knew that Channel Master's marketing wouldn't prove true. I know I can update the firmware, but really how long is that going to last until they get rid of the guide and their support for the DVR+ anyway? What ever happened to making a product and supporting it for life? Sorry for the side comments....I really hate change!

I am using 114r for the same reason as you, and my guide still goes out 14 days.
JHBrandt and pilotart like this.
post #16056 of 16798 Old 09-07-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2818 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
Like my old Sony TV, we can hope that despite the lack of a guide, an internet clock will still be supplied. But with no clock, drift will be an issue. Eventually.
Based on Greasemonkey's experience, an unconnected DVR+ derives time-of-day from the stations' PSIP times. The exact algorithm it uses is unclear, as with the predecessor CM-7000Pal/DTVPal DVRs. But it seems to be good enough to prevent significant drift.

If the clock does drift, the old DTVPal trick of performing two back-to-back reboots seems to get it locked back onto PSIP times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
Yes, but that would really suck as most stations only provide minimal data. Only 7 of my 24 channels have guide info 24 or more hours ahead. The longest are Fox that goes out 32 hours, and PBS goes out 72. If you plan to go out of town you would need an online guide like titantv.com and then program the DVR+ by time slots like a 40 year old VCR (and my DTVPalDVRs). At least you will still be able to setup series recordings.
Many stations only go out the 12-hour FCC-required minimum - not even a day! And low power stations often provide no guide at all. And you wouldn't be able to record "new" episodes. And newer firmware versions seem to need "dummy" recordings to force the DVR+ to tune to each station and load the guide data.

So yeah, PSIP isn't very good compared to the Rovi guide - even though Rovi isn't so great at times either. But the DVR+ is still better than most of the few alternatives out there at the moment.
post #16057 of 16798 Old 09-07-2018, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The last time that happened to me, I'd lost my Internet connection without realizing it (a power-line adapter had gone down).

So check that first. If your Internet connection is OK, you may be experiencing one of Rovi's occasional outages for your region - although now that CM no longer calls their guide the "Rovi" guide, I'm not sure if Rovi would listen if you complained. You might have to update to 135R just to see if CM's new guide server works. If not, complain to CM - once they get it working you can try reverting to 114R and see if the guide still works.
post #16058 of 16798 Old 09-08-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I'm on 114R also. My guide ends at Sept 19, 6:00AM. My last Rovi update was today, Saturday, Sep 8, at 8:43AM. So it is a bit disconcerting that I don't have a full 2 weeks. As @JHBrandt said, it could be one of Rovi's glitches that we've seen before, that affects only certain ZIP codes. Entering an ZIP code in a different part of the country is a good first test for this. You can also try entering ZIP codes for other, nearby cities.

Before doing that tho, I suggest doing a cold boot, i.e., disconnect the power cord, wait a few minutes, then reconnect the cord. The memory management issues that the DVR+ has tend to show themselves by resulting in a faulty guide. Note that the DVR+ will be EXTREMELY slow to respond to commands from the remote while it's downloading a new guide.
post #16059 of 16798 Old 09-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Before doing that tho, I suggest doing a cold boot, i.e., disconnect the power cord, wait a few minutes, then reconnect the cord. The memory management issues that the DVR+ has tend to show themselves by resulting in a faulty guide. Note that the DVR+ will be EXTREMELY slow to respond to commands from the remote while it's downloading a new guide.[/QUOTE]

We have 4 DVR+ units in use.. the oldest from when they first came out (2014?).. it started having problems with the guide:
It wasn't updating.. yes it was connected to the net.
did both soft restarts (push the button) cold reboots.. pulled the power..

Tried to force the up date.. no go.. was only getting 2 days.. the other units were updating with 2 weeks of guide.
Decided to reload the software 135R with a flash drive.. On restart every time I accessed the guide it would now lock up the DVR+.. reloaded it again with the same results.. What a sick feeling that was.

Was at the point of coming here to ask if anyone knew if Channel Master was doing repairs or where to get a unit repaired, was going thru the menu and saw the dreaded "Factor Reset".. I knew it was there but had never had to use it.

Nothing to loose at this point.. IT WORKED.. !!!! The DVR+ is good as new.. the guide now has 14 days..and all the channels were re-scanned.. of course all the schedules will be reset.. but a small price to pay to get the precious DVR+ back.
post #16060 of 16798 Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think SeattleSounder already tried the cold boot, and all it did was lose what little guide he had.

I'm going to keep an eye on this. I'm on 134R and my guide also ends on 9/19 @ 6 AM. Worse, next week's guide seems to be largely generic, as if it hasn't been updated in a few days.

CMTV is still working, but it looks like the pre-135R guide may be history and Internet-connected DVR+'s will need to update to 135R to keep the guide. No biggie if you're on 134R like me, but a bummer for folks on early versions like 114R with the working CC button. The only thing I can't figure out is why it was so long between 135R coming out and the 134R guide going away.

I'll probably update my firmware tomorrow unless it straightens itself out overnight.

Of course, "offline" users like Greasemonkey are unaffected and can choose any firmware version they like.
post #16061 of 16798 Old 09-08-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
I think SeattleSounder already tried the cold boot, and all it did was lose what little guide he had.
He said he did a warm boot. That's why I suggested a cold boot. From what I recollect, back when the memory leaks were first making themselves known, warm boots very rarely fixed a flaky/broken guide.

Quote:
I'm going to keep an eye on this. I'm on 134R and my guide also ends on 9/19 @ 6 AM. Worse, next week's guide seems to be largely generic, as if it hasn't been updated in a few days.
I'll probably update my firmware tomorrow unless it straightens itself out overnight.
Interesting that we both have the same cutoff point in time... After 9/19 6AM, I've got all "Unknown Event" entries. I'm HOPING that it's just a Rovi glitch. Tho, I'm still holding out hope since @artisticimaging reports 14 days of guide.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #16062 of 16798 Old 09-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS13 View Post
...was going thru the menu and saw the dreaded "Factor Reset". I knew it was there but had never had to use it.

Nothing to lose at this point.. IT WORKED. !!!! The DVR+ is good as new. the guide now has 14 days..and all the channels were re-scanned.. of course all the schedules will be reset.. but a small price to pay to get the precious DVR+ back.
Well, I've tried everything suggested. I did the warm boot first....that is what lost my additional 5 days of guide. Then I tried the double warm boot (warm boot and then another warm boot right afterwards)....that didn't change anything. Then I cold booted by unplugging the power for a couple minutes. No change again. I then changed my zip code to a couple of different zip codes both in the area and throughout the country....no difference. Then finally, I just did the dreaded factory reset....nope. I even double checked my Internet connection...it's still there and working properly.

It actually is interesting because now in the STB Health page the Last Rovi Update field is saying "Unable To Get Rovi Update Time". Previously it was showing a date and time with a [204] code which I had never seen before. Because I tried all sorts of different zip codes I have to assume this means the Rovi server is no longer there for me or my DVR+ just doesn't work correctly any more. I'm holding out hope for a miracle and won't upgrade to the latest firmware for a couple of weeks/months until I can't stand not having a 14 day guide any more. I just love having my cc button work too much to lose that capability.
pilotart likes this.
post #16063 of 16798 Old 09-08-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I've had power disconnected from the DVR+ since August 24, so the guide was completely outdated when I powered it up tonight after reading the recent reports about the Rovi Ti*o Guide. It was running version 124R, and when I refreshed the Guide, only PSIP data appeared, along with the generic black and white TV icons. I tried cold reboots, and refreshing the Guide a second time, but still only PSIP data.

So I installed 135R and refreshed the guide. After the usual 15 minutes or so, the guide extends to Saturday September 22 at 6:00 AM, and of course the colored network icons returned as well.
JHBrandt, Arenal04 and pilotart like this.

Last edited by pachinko; 09-10-2018 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Change Rovi to the name that shall not be mentioned!
post #16064 of 16798 Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Bad news my guide is not 14 days any more in fact now I am losing days. On the day I reported 14 days it went to 9-21 now it is till 9-17.
Arenal04 likes this.
post #16065 of 16798 Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I've tried everything suggested. I did the warm boot first....that is what lost my additional 5 days of guide. Then I tried the double warm boot (warm boot and then another warm boot right afterwards)....that didn't change anything.
I think I suggested that, but that was specifically to synchronize an "offline" DVR+ clock to PSIP.
Quote:
It actually is interesting because now in the STB Health page the Last Rovi Update field is saying "Unable To Get Rovi Update Time". Previously it was showing a date and time with a [204] code which I had never seen before. Because I tried all sorts of different zip codes I have to assume this means the Rovi server is no longer there for me or my DVR+ just doesn't work correctly any more.
My guide still stops at the 19th. The Last Rovi Update said last night and had an OK code, but it clearly isn't OK. So I just tried a guide refresh as a last resort before 135R, got the same [204] code you did, and seem to have lost my whole guide except PSIP data. Last Rovi Update still says last night; only the code changed, from OK to [204].

Based on Pachinko's report, I'd say its time for me to give in and go to 135R. Since I'm on 134R already, it's not as big a deal for me as it is for you.

Update: That seems to have done the trick, except for one anomaly: the time slot for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is showing as "Unknown Event" all next week, which means it's not going to get recorded unless this get corrected quick. Week 2 is showing LSSC correctly, albeit with generic descriptions as usual.

AFAICS this was the only show affected.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-09-2018 at 08:00 PM.
post #16066 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
...except for one anomaly: the time slot for The Late Show with Stephen Colbert is showing as "Unknown Event" all next week, which means it's not going to get recorded unless this get corrected quick. Week 2 is showing LSSC correctly, albeit with generic descriptions as usual.
This (LSSC) issue is also present with 135R, so it's not specifically a Rovi guide problem.

However, the ipad TVGUIDE app is showing it correctly, so the info for that show is out there somewhere.
post #16067 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Looks like the ROVI guide expired at the start of the new TV season.
post #16068 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have what I think is a bit of a weird issue. This past weekend WYBN TV-14 went live in the Albany, NY DMA. They offer 8 channels all broadcast in 480i (BUZZR, COZI, THIS, RETRO, etc.). My TCL Roku TV tuner and my Samsung TV tuner pick up all 8 channels, 14.3 through 14.10. My DVR+ and DTVPal DVR only pick up one channel - 14.1 BUZZR. Has anyone experienced any issues with not being able to receive all channels on either device? Any ideas on a fix? I've tried everything but factory resets. Thanks.
post #16069 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 494
start your research from sites: rabbitear, antennaweb, etc - get latest data about freqs, muxes, channels, etc
post #16070 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
post #16071 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
This (LSSC) issue is also present with 135R, so it's not specifically a Rovi guide problem.

However, the ipad TVGUIDE app is showing it correctly, so the info for that show is out there somewhere.
Just did a refresh and it appears to be corrected now.

I think the data is still sourced from Rovi, even though with 135R, I guess it's coming through a CM server now.
post #16072 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the data is still sourced from Rovi, even though with 135R, I guess it's coming through a CM server now.
I'm not trying to get slapped, but how long will it be before the CM world understands that Rovi doesn't exist?

The guide from TiVo has been especially bad recently, with TBA on all channels on the last day. TiVo keeps messing with the guide, changing dates & descriptions. It's possible they are under a strain since the new season starts on 9/26. But the Saturday football games are messed up. I lived through TVGOS and I'm seeing things that make me believe TiVo has hired some of those old E* people to help. It's a mess and has been a mess since 2016 when Rovi bought TiVo. I hope for all of us that things get better. Soon.

Please, just Google "rovi".
post #16073 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I know; Rovi bought TiVo and then changed their name to TiVo. So technically, it's the TiVo guide and has been for some time.

But the DVR+ referred to it as the "Rovi" guide all the way through 134R, long after it had legally become the TiVo guide, and now it's just the "Internet" guide (which theoretically could come from anywhere, but still appears to come from Rovi TiVo). It's just easier for us to refer to the guides as "Rovi" guides and reserve the name TiVo for the DVRs that carry that brand.

This isn't the only place in media where brand confusion exists. TWC merged with Charter and the combined company changed their name to Spectrum, but I still write TWC on my checks....

Anyway, it looks like I spoke too soon. LSSC is back to "unknown event" again (but it is scheduled to record tonight anyway; go figure).

Edit: BTW, I don't think Rovi's guides were all that great even when they truly were "Rovi" guides before they bought TiVo. Both TiVo and WMC used to use TMS Gracenote (yet another name change), and both switched to Rovi. WMC switched before the merger, so we got to experience the drop-off in quality about a year before TiVo users did.
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-10-2018 at 04:45 PM.
post #16074 of 16798 Old 09-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hey, have I tripped back in time to the HDD 250 Forum ? .

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #16075 of 16798 Old 09-11-2018, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I know; Rovi bought TiVo and then changed their name to TiVo. So technically, it's the TiVo guide and has been for some time.
But the DVR+ referred to it as the "Rovi" guide all the way through 134R, long after it had legally become the TiVo guide, and now it's just the "Internet" guide (which theoretically could come from anywhere, but still appears to come from Rovi TiVo). It's just easier for us to refer to the guides as "Rovi" guides and reserve the name TiVo for the DVRs that carry that brand.
This isn't the only place in media where brand confusion exists. TWC merged with Charter and the combined company changed their name to Spectrum, but I still write TWC on my checks....
Anyway, it looks like I spoke too soon. LSSC is back to "unknown event" again (but it is scheduled to record tonight anyway; go figure).
Edit: BTW, I don't think Rovi's guides were all that great even when they truly were "Rovi" guides before they bought TiVo. Both TiVo and WMC used to use TMS Gracenote (yet another name change), and both switched to Rovi. WMC switched before the merger, so we got to experience the drop-off in quality about a year before TiVo users did.
Thanks for the reply. When I want confirmation of bad guide data I use tvguide.com. When I need accurate information (99%) I check zap2it.com. It seems like more than a coincidence that guide issues are a popular topic right now on both platforms. But it could be just the start of the fall season.
post #16076 of 16798 Old 09-11-2018, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 494
or falling "season"
post #16077 of 16798 Old 09-11-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
... When I need accurate information (99%) I check zap2it.com....

I have long been in the habit of using zap2it.com, regardless of what the internet guides say. titantv.com is pretty good also.
artisticimaging and pilotart like this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16078 of 16798 Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
I have long been in the habit of using zap2it.com, regardless of what the internet guides say. titantv.com is pretty good also.
A few months ago zap2it redid their website. At the same time they cut back on the length and features. For quick checks I use titantv, but zap2it is still Gracenote.
post #16079 of 16798 Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
A few months ago zap2it redid their website. At the same time they cut back on the length and features. For quick checks I use titantv, but zap2it is still Gracenote.
I don't care much for their new format. But their info is still good.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #16080 of 16798 Old 09-11-2018, 02:56 PM

Since I have been using the 114r when I upgrade to 135r will I have to change my button map on my Sony remote? I had to record them from the flat original DVR+ remote. If so which ones. Thanks, I tried a search and did find anything except the CC button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
578 , 999 , Channel Master , dvr+ , maintanance restart , maintenance restart , P552UI-B2 , vid posts 576/578 , vizio 4k

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page